Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Well, I got a seat but the flight has been delayed an hour and a half so they could fix something in the plane's galley ( kitchen.)

But hey, free is free.😁

Wishing you a safe and happy trip! If you gotta go to Texas, Austin's a great place to be. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Grifter # 1 threw a fit because her parents didn’t buy her candy and cards for v day. 

Grifter # 2 is upset that boyfriend didn’t take a day off to spend with her. 

Yeah im surrounded by nutty people.

GEEEEEEZ how do these needy, demanding people find good bf's?! I don't get it. If I lived in NYC, I would totally celebrate Galentine's Day with you!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I got a cold today. The son has had three colds since the beginning of January and I finally caught one. He was getting over one and now it sounds like he has the same one I do, so maybe he's on his fourth? Husband is working. Daughter has rehearsal from 4-6 and son has a concert arrive at 5:30 until probably 8 (which we have been told we can avoid because we've heard/seen the songs). I'm not looking for romance today. I'm looking for someone to somehow get some dinner in us before 8 pm tonight so I can crawl into bed at 9.

@Jynnan tonnix said:

Because my birthday and our anniversary are both in January, we typically don't even bother to acknowledge Valentine's day when it rolls around. Sometimes Mr. Jyn will get me a card, and once in a while I might get him one, but cards are so overpriced and lame these days that it just doesn't seem worth it. I'll make a nice dinner (something I accidentally invented years ago when I was trying to think of a veal dish I'd heard of, and the descriptions for Veal Piccata and Veal Saltimbocca were both kind of floating around my brain so I ended up making a sort of hybrid - but everyone loved it). And there will be wine. Who needs anything fancier?

My birthday is Feb 1 and Mr. Toast's birthday is Feb 20. We don't really do anything big or special but after Christmas and these birthdays and the kids winter break just after the Valentine's, we tend to just let it slide. I get a card but no way would I want to handle the restaurants tonight! Also, I'm not cooking tonight, either! 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

I got a cold today. The son has had three colds since the beginning of January and I finally caught one.

Everyone here inTexas have colds too. I'm just giving air-hugs.🙄

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Christina87 said:

GEEEEEEZ how do these needy, demanding people find good bf's?! I don't get it. If I lived in NYC, I would totally celebrate Galentine's Day with you!!!

I have no clue! Girl # 1 is bipolar or something.  She keeps posting videos of herself crying over dead grandma/ mixed in are all the posts how great her guy is.  Funny thing she keeps getting anew  facebook for every new guy and she posts exact same thing except switches the name! lol

I just can't. Girl # 2 really expected the guy to take the day off to do what? Whoo her lol. She said maybe he will do something this weekend for her.

I went to the movies yesterday to skip seeing all the couples today. I saw 2 great movies: What men want and The Upside. Highly recommend both.

girl # 1 boyfriend looks like this guy except a more pointy head. I don't know she keeps dating the most unattractive guys ever.  I know I'm mean.

s-l300.jpg

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Grifter # 1 threw a fit because her parents didn’t buy her candy and cards for v day. 

Grifter # 2 is upset that boyfriend didn’t take a day off to spend with her. 

Yeah im surrounded by nutty people.

It's a day. A day! The lad I've been seeing sent me a message wishing me a happy V Day but we're both up to our eyes in work so even if we did want to celebrate we'd have to wait. I love going and getting fancy cards but I haven't had time for that either. So that will be a no this year.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I have no clue! Girl # 1 is bipolar or something.  She keeps posting videos of herself crying over dead grandma/ mixed in are all the posts how great her guy is.  Funny thing she keeps getting anew  facebook for every new guy and she posts exact same thing except switches the name! lol

I just can't. Girl # 2 really expected the guy to take the day off to do what? Whoo her lol. She said maybe he will do something this weekend for her.

I went to the movies yesterday to skip seeing all the couples today. I saw 2 great movies: What men want and The Upside. Highly recommend both.

girl # 1 boyfriend looks like this guy except a more pointy head. I don't know she keeps dating the most unattractive guys ever.  I know I'm mean.

s-l300.jpg

LOL!!!!! Hahahaha thanks for the laugh. I really don't get what's so attractive about women like that. I remember a girl in my freshman dorm, whom I shared a wall with. Of course I had to hear sex noises waaaay too much, but then she and her boyfriend would fight, I swear, every day when he had to go to work. It was a knock down, drag out fight every single day, where she cried, screamed, and begged him to stay. The thing was, she was cute in an average way, but not a knockout or anything. She's been married (not to that guy) for years, and I wonder if she is still like that!

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Guess who’s going to Scotland and London in April?!! This gal!

Woohoo! Mr Jyn and I were talking about going, but he's been hemming and hawing over how my mom can't be left alone (which she can totally make arrangements for some extra care to come in for a few days the same as she did when we went to Florida a couple of weeks ago). I'm not sure what his deal is - my cousins have been here three times in the last few years (one of those times was for my dad's funeral, so it wasn't exactly a vacation) and they want to be able to play host to us in return. He seemed pretty hepped up about the idea last Fall, but now he says I should just go by myself, which I've done (just England) about five times in the past 15 years or so, and he's never been there, so while I love England, I'm just tired of not being able to show it to him. We were stationed in Scotland close to 30 years ago, and our younger son was born there. We both loved it, and he's always talked about going back to visit, but for whatever reason, he's just digging his heels in lately and not wanting to talk about it at all other than just to tell me that I need to make another trip back. It's pretty frustrating!

Anyway...sorry. I sort of derailed that. Didn't mean to. Have a wonderful time, and tell England and Scotland "hi" from me!

• Love 6
Just now, BitterApple said:

Congrats!!! I've been to Edinburgh and it's absolutely beautiful. Are you going to be visiting any of the Outlander locations?

Yes I’m doing a full Outlander tour!!! (I know you watch I’ve seen you on that board). 10 full hours seeing filming locations. 

• Love 4
Just now, Scarlett45 said:

Yes I’m doing a full Outlander tour!!! (I know you watch I’ve seen you on that board). 10 full hours seeing filming locations. 

Wow, I am SO jealous right now. That's the trip of a lifetime. I think they'd have to pry my dead, cold hands from the Stones!!!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Wow, I am SO jealous right now. That's the trip of a lifetime. I think they'd have to pry my dead, cold hands from the Stones!!!

Hahaha. I’ve never been motivated to go through the stones. 

@Jynnan tonnix I went to London for the Jubilee in 2012 but I have never been to Scotland. I am doing 2 nights London, 2 nights scotland, 1 night London again (its so much easier to fly home from London than Edinburgh). 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

We were stationed in Scotland close to 30 years ago, and our younger son was born there. We both loved it, and he's always talked about going back to visit, but for whatever reason, he's just digging his heels in lately and not wanting to talk about it at all other than just to tell me that I need to make another trip back. It's pretty frustrating!

I wonder if he is like me, just dreading the long flight across the ocean? There are places I’d love to visit, but I just can’t can’t get past the plane ride. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Love2dance said:

I wonder if he is like me, just dreading the long flight across the ocean? There are places I’d love to visit, but I just can’t can’t get past the plane ride. 

No, he always did a lot of traveling when he was in the Navy, and we have lived in places as disparate as Guam, Hawaii and Scotland, so a flight across the Atlantic is nothing. I'm really not sure what is driving his seemingly recent antipathy toward travel. We have always talked about going to Poland someday, where I still have a lot of relatives (my kids all had a trip there with my dad when they were teens/young adults, but I have not actually been since I was 21, and would love to show Mr Jyn some of the sights as well, but suddenly he's reluctant to even consider it). I suppose a lot of it truly does have something to do with the fact that both our mothers are in semi-precarious health right now - his mom is in a dementia facility and mine is still living at home but can't drive anymore, doesn't get around very well alone, and needs help doing things, which she has a couple of Polish ladies come over a few times a week, plus we help her and her neighbors are also wonderful and check on her frequently, and my daughter & son in law are only 1/2 hour away and see her more or less weekly,  so it's not as though she would be left high and dry if we went away for 10 days or so. 

I think he just feels so responsible for both of them. His sense of responsibility is like no other - it's like a hyper-responsibility -  but at the same time he always seems to harbor a bit of resentment at it and ends up with a bit of a martyr complex...I don't know. Hard to explain.

So he keeps telling me that I just need to do these trips by myself, which on the one hand I'd love to get there again, but on the other hand I've been waiting for almost 35 years to show him these places, and now that he's finally retired and has the time he is just not interested in going.

9 hours ago, Love2dance said:

The UK isn’t that long of a flight from the USA unless you’re on the west coast. It’s only 8hrs for me from Chicago. I’m leaving on a night time flight so I can sleep before I start my vacation! 😍😍😍

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Love2dance said:

The UK isn’t that long of a flight from the USA unless you’re on the west coast. It’s only 8hrs for me from Chicago. I’m leaving on a night time flight so I can sleep before I start my vacation! 😍😍😍

Ok, I'm bad. I needed a break from caregiving and hubby is at the point in his recovery that he can manage on his own, so I got a hotel in Baton Rouge and have been enjoying some me time. The bad part is that I told the niece that is driving me crazy I would be in Houston having tests for a new medical study. I hoped this little lie would cut down on her phone calls. When she asked if I was going to need someone to take her to the airport I said a friend was taking me and keeping my car so she would not be surprised if she saw it around town. If she had known I was twenty minutes from her she would have been there every day  driving me crazy because she does a lot of things in Baton Rouge. Of course she has still been calling but only once a day. I literally cringe when I see her name pop up on my phone. Well anyway, I've read a ton of the free magazines I get from reward survey, gone to all the great thrift stores here, had a horrible steak at Longhorn Steakhouse and apparently pissed my really bad waitress off when I said the steak was ridiculously spicy. Asked for the manager and told him we needed to talk outside. He could tell from her attitude when she told him I wanted to talk to him that she had an attitude problem. He gave me a twenty dollar gift card and one for a free appetizer and asked me to come back and let them try again. Maybe, maybe not. Next up is a meal at Captain D's because we don't have one in Covington and I am irrationally in love with that place. I got a 2 pm checkout to give myself some more chill time. Is it really bad that I would rather stay here than go back to my regular life? I love my husband and our home but the niece stresses me out so much. If not for her daughter I would cut her out of my life.

• Love 11

@Scarlett45 I love Scotland and used to live there. Have a bacon sandwich for me please and just a few fingers of whisky 🥃 

@Jynnan tonnix My brother is retired Army. Will only travel by vehicle for fishing. Now his wife is a go-getter and has been to too many countries to count. She has found this group of women to go with (they do tours and solos) and she leaves him in the dust. Go while you can. 

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@Scarlett45 I love Scotland and used to live there. Have a bacon sandwich for me please and just a few fingers of whisky 🥃 

@Jynnan tonnix My brother is retired Army. Will only travel by vehicle for fishing. Now his wife is a go-getter and has been to too many countries to count. She has found this group of women to go with (they do tours and solos) and she leaves him in the dust. Go while you can. 

I’m a vegetarian and I don’t drink alcohol but I appreciate the well wishes!

I haven’t done a solo trip in years and I am looking forward. Yes @Jynnan tonnix there are many travel options these days. 

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I flew to Japan solo (11hours)!) because husband had no desire to go.  I did my own thing for 11 nights and I loved it.  I had been stationed there in the late 1970's for 22 months and always wanted to return.  Go while you can!

• Love 6

I really need to go on a trip here. I'm saving up for an overnight trip soon. I need to look at my planner to see where I can squeeze it in.

I've been trying to mark and Turnitin has been down for the past 2 hours. I would like to not spend my weekend marking student papers. I have so much other stuff on the go that has been neglected due to illness. I've been working from home as much as I can since I injured my ankle.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, jjane said:

Ok, I'm bad. I needed a break from caregiving and hubby is at the point in his recovery that he can manage on his own, so I got a hotel in Baton Rouge and have been enjoying some me time. The bad part is that I told the niece that is driving me crazy I would be in Houston having tests for a new medical study. I hoped this little lie would cut down on her phone calls. When she asked if I was going to need someone to take her to the airport I said a friend was taking me and keeping my car so she would not be surprised if she saw it around town. If she had known I was twenty minutes from her she would have been there every day  driving me crazy because she does a lot of things in Baton Rouge. Of course she has still been calling but only once a day. I literally cringe when I see her name pop up on my phone. Well anyway, I've read a ton of the free magazines I get from reward survey, gone to all the great thrift stores here, had a horrible steak at Longhorn Steakhouse and apparently pissed my really bad waitress off when I said the steak was ridiculously spicy. Asked for the manager and told him we needed to talk outside. He could tell from her attitude when she told him I wanted to talk to him that she had an attitude problem. He gave me a twenty dollar gift card and one for a free appetizer and asked me to come back and let them try again. Maybe, maybe not. Next up is a meal at Captain D's because we don't have one in Covington and I am irrationally in love with that place. I got a 2 pm checkout to give myself some more chill time. Is it really bad that I would rather stay here than go back to my regular life? I love my husband and our home but the niece stresses me out so much. If not for her daughter I would cut her out of my life.

Well I’m sorry to hear about your family dilemmas. Relatives can do that. Even the ones we love a lot. We moved from Baton Rouge 3.5 years ago after being there over 40 years. Did you try the Purple Cow thrift store on Perkins near Acadian?  Nifty place. 

• Love 2

@Scarlett45 that sounds SO great!!! I have a friend living in London who invited me to come visit, and I want to go this summer if I get a job soon and can save a little bit! You'll have to tell me about everything cool you do. I hope you have an amazing time on your trip!!! It will be a blast for sure. 

• Love 2

Hi Guys!

Checking in.  I didn't get a chance to scroll back so I hope everyone is well and hanging in there!  OK here. I'm so busy and I'm worn out from my teen daughter. Please tell me I will survive this. 😳😬 I have four teens...

• Love 10
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Hola! Greetings from El Salvador! Finishing medical mission here and heading home tomorrow.  No Duggar sightings, fewer fundie evangelicals than prior trips. We didn’t paint any fingernails nor did we hand out banana bread.  Just medicine.  We did make balloon animals for kids and give them school supplies, jump ropes and soccer balls; but no preaching.  Going straight to hell, I am.

No hell for you!  Thank you for your true example of a servant's heart.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
18 hours ago, Love2dance said:

I have to go to India next month for work, and I am absolutely dreading it. I’ve never been before, but the travel time is 29 hours not including the time from the final airport to the hotel. Four flights in total, the longest one is 14 hours. The only consolation is that I get to fly Emirates business class, which looks pretty awesome. I’ll get to check out their lounge in Dubai 😋.  But I have to be there for two weeks, and I’m paranoid about getting sick.  Almost everybody from my company who goes gets “intestinal distress”, ahem.  I’m packing food and enough hand sanitizer to swim in.  I don’t want to go!

London and Scotland are on the top of my bucket list. I’m fascinated by British and Scottish history, I want to tour museums and old houses and see the Tower of London.  I’ve been an Outlander fan since long before the show, @Scarlett45 I hope you have an amazing trip!  

• Love 8
56 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Hi Guys!

Checking in.  I didn't get a chance to scroll back so I hope everyone is well and hanging in there!  OK here. I'm so busy and I'm worn out from my teen daughter. Please tell me I will survive this. 😳😬 I have four teens...

Hang in there. You probably will survive. LOL

Seriously, it can be a difficult time, for sure, but usually they come out of it as normal, perfectly acceptable adults. Hugs.

• Love 3

@lookeyloo, yes I have gone to both Purple Cows. I lived near the one on Jones Creek. I think I hit every thrift store in Baton Rouge this trip. I love thrift stores, garage sales, antique malls, flea markets. I got a great lamp for the desk in my new office then I found some cool leaded glass shades at another thrift store. Most of my books come from thrift stores and I love to get great home décor for little or nothing. While I was gone my husband found out a funky little thrift store here in Covington was closing suddenly because she lost her lease. He got me a new breadmaker for two dollars. Tomorrow's her last day and she's putting out all the holiday decorations so I plan to be there at 9.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Hola! Greetings from El Salvador! Finishing medical mission here and heading home tomorrow.  No Duggar sightings, fewer fundie evangelicals than prior trips. We didn’t paint any fingernails nor did we hand out banana bread.  Just medicine.  We did make balloon animals for kids and give them school supplies, jump ropes and soccer balls; but no preaching.  Going straight to hell, I am.

Hopefully you handed out dumdums, though, right?  And did interpretive dance?

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Tonight is our last night in Mexico. Except for one day of rain weather has been perfect. We are near Playa del Carmen. We did some touring near Tulum and Cob-Ha. We did help the local economy. Everyone has been wonderfully gracious and helpful. 

• Love 7

I went and saw ventriloquist Jeff Dunham tonight here in Austin.

He tried out two new characters for the first time. (I liked the second one, the first one was too political for me.) It was a great show!

Also, for any Texans out there..wth is up with your intersections?! They almost gave me a panic attack, it felt like I was driving like I imagine it would feel like driving in the UK (they seem to be on the wrong side of the road in some cases.)😨 

I'm very tired and probably not explaining this well. 😂

(otherwise I'm loving Texas.)😊

• Love 2
8 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Tonight is our last night in Mexico. Except for one day of rain weather has been perfect. We are near Playa del Carmen. We did some touring near Tulum and Cob-Ha. We did help the local economy. Everyone has been wonderfully gracious and helpful. 

DD and I went to Playa last year with other friends and their moms for a last hurrah to HS. Wish I was there now!

• Love 4

Good to see everyone. I’ve been MIA with a continued crazy work schedule. I had a second interview yeasterday that felt good. Should hear about moving to Round Three (or not) next week. 

Homelife is good, very much appreciating husband. We made yummy seafood at home for V Day. We exchanged spendy car repair, appliance replacement part and new garage door spring in lieu of gifts. ❤️ Wouldn’t have it any other way.

Got news a week ago that former husband died. Hadn’t seen or spoken with him in 25-ish years.  Lot of water under the bridge, no hard feelings. We were so young. I always thought we’d have a closure chat. Oddly, the night he died, I was at an event for my son in a locale near where the ex and I lived. I mentioned him and the scenario to a friend dealing with divorce fallout. I do not think it was a coincidence. 

Anyone else ready for Spring?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Catfin said:

Oops ^^^

I'm at the time in my life when the jewelry I got for Valentine's Day was a new Medical alert type  ID bracelet.  Don't feel sorry for me,  it's very pretty & the delivery just coincided with V Day.  If anyone else is interested,  I get my Medical ID bracelets from a site called Lauren's Hope.  They look like regular bracelets, all different styles & the only give-a-way is the ID tag. It's nice the tags are detachable & interchangeable with  their other bracelets. 

I did get chocolates from Mr. Barb &  flowers from Son of Barb.  It was warm enough for Mr. Barb to do steaks & baked potatoes on the grill. 

I can't wait for Spring either. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Oops ^^^

I'm at the time in my life when the jewelry I got for Valentine's Day was a new Medical alert type  ID bracelet.  Don't feel sorry for me,  it's very pretty & the delivery just coincided with V Day.  If anyone else is interested,  I get my Medical ID bracelets from a site called Lauren's Hope.  They look like regular bracelets, all different styles & the only give-a-way is the ID tag. It's nice the tags are detachable & interchangeable with  their other bracelets. 

I did get chocolates from Mr. Barb &  flowers from Son of Barb.  It was warm enough for Mr. Barb to do steaks & baked potatoes on the grill. 

I can't wait for Spring either. 

Thanks I’m going to get a medical bracelet.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Thanks I’m going to get a medical bracelet.

Glad to help.

IIRC, the Lauren of Lauren's hope was a teen aged diabetic who didnt want to wear a Grandma type med ID bracelet so she designed more stylish ones that people would wear. They have styles for everyone- men, ladies & kids.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Catfin said:

Good to see everyone. I’ve been MIA with a continued crazy work schedule. I had a second interview yeasterday that felt good. Should hear about moving to Round Three (or not) next week. 

Homelife is good, very much appreciating husband. We made yummy seafood at home for V Day. We exchanged spendy car repair, appliance replacement part and new garage door spring in lieu of gifts. ❤️ Wouldn’t have it any other way.

Got news a week ago that former husband died. Hadn’t seen or spoken with him in 25-ish years.  Lot of water under the bridge, no hard feelings. We were so young. I always thought we’d have a closure chat. Oddly, the night he died, I was at an event for my son in a locale near where the ex and I lived. I mentioned him and the scenario to a friend dealing with divorce fallout. I do not think it was a coincidence. 

Anyone else ready for Spring?

I believe that weird things like that happen too. I have woken up twice thinking of someone I hadn't encountered in forever, and didn't know well...and then found out they had just died. I also saw a nearby car crash in a dream in real time. I don't think it was a coincidence either!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, allonsyalice said:

Ive been ready for spring since november 15th. 

I'm almost never ready for spring because it means that the weather will start getting hot before I'm ready for it, and I won't be able to open the windows and get the bedroom blissfully cold to cocoon myself up in at night.

It's nice to see things budding and the daffodils poking through, but my favorite half of the year by far and away is October through April. When we were stationed in Georgia, the bearable time of year was more like the end of November through maybe the first half of March.

• Love 9