Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Let's face it, my life is one long First World Problem. Here's today's.

One of our cousins is getting married this summer. I love him. I love his wife-to-be. His mother (our aunt) wrote yesterday for mailing addresses for the entire family for the invitations. She mentioned the happy couple is planning a three-day event. During the hottest part of the summer in Eastern Washington. Did I mention that this entire side of the family is quite enamored of camping?

I don't camp. Actually, let's put it this way. I don't lie on the ground for three nights (in 100 degree heat during the day and 30-40's at night) and have any hope of functioning for at least a week afterward. We've made this clear as politely as possible over the years. The other extreme: One of our cousins got married five years ago in roughly the same area. Her mother sent out an "invitation" over e-mail two days before the wedding. The only accommodations available at that time was a B&B charging $175 per night with a 2 night minimum. We declined and sent a lovely gift instead.

I am happy to be invited, but I am a bit worried about what that invitation will contain when it gets here. Our aunt is not answering any questions.

• Love 2

One of our cousins is getting married this summer. I love him. I love his wife-to-be. His mother (our aunt) wrote yesterday for mailing addresses for the entire family for the invitations. She mentioned the happy couple is planning a three-day event. During the hottest part of the summer in Eastern Washington. Did I mention that this entire side of the family is quite enamored of camping?

I don't camp. Actually, let's put it this way. I don't lie on the ground for three nights (in 100 degree heat during the day and 30-40's at night) and have any hope of functioning for at least a week afterward. We've made this clear as politely as possible over the years. The other extreme: One of our cousins got married five years ago in roughly the same area. Her mother sent out an "invitation" over e-mail two days before the wedding. The only accommodations available at that time was a B&B charging $175 per night with a 2 night minimum. We declined and sent a lovely gift instead.

I am happy to be invited, but I am a bit worried about what that invitation will contain when it gets here. Our aunt is not answering any questions.

If you know the date, you might make a reservation RIGHT NOW at the closest, reasonably priced hotel in the area. Or, at the very least, rent a comfy, air conditioned camper for the weekend. (I have no idea if that is more cost effective than a hotel.....I don't camp any more, either.)

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 5

I know it's been awhile since I posted on this thread. I need to vent about my co-worker and coworkers adult daughter who just had a baby. Sorry if this is random, but this is driving me insane.

Everyday coworker sits on the phone and makes doctor appointments for her 20 something daughter. It doesn't matter what it is, doctor appointment, custody issues, setting up daughters WIC and other public assistance. She'll call out of work to babysit her granddaughter, or to cosign for her daughter's car etc.

Her daughter will call crying hysterically over her baby daddy not loving her and of course, rather than get up from her desk, coworker would rather sit there and talk loudly enough so everyone can hear the crisis of the day. Its not like her daughter has a demanding career. Her daughter only works part time at Friendlys but coworker will insist to make all the appointments. Her daughter has some sort of medical certificate, but "can't find a job in that field". Baby Daddy is useless too.

What I don't understand is this: if you're old enough to have a baby; you should be old enough yo take care of your own shit. Especially when you only work part time and your baby daddy only works part time.

Today, coworker was calling around to order birthday supplies for the granddaughter. Her birthday isn't until APRIL!!

Blows my mind. I can't understand being so codependent that I have to depend on mommy to make my appointments. Fucking ridiculous.

Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 7

If anyone recalls our almost-18-year-old cat which passed away a few weeks ago, our remaining cat has been acting quite lonesome and needy. Even though they didn't have that much of a relationship (we got him as a kitten when she was 10, and she never wanted much of anything to do with him (she was always the type who might learn to tolerate another cat over time, but not particularly gladly). At any rate, this remaining cat is now about 8 years old, and a huge (literally) baby. He really would like a friend, I think...he tries to play with my dog (which is less than half his size) sometimes, but other than the occasional chase down the hallway, they don't really interact that much either....So we decided maybe we should keep our eyes open for another cat closer to his age and personality. He's not the brightest bulb in the box, but very much a people person and seems very interested in any other animal that comes through. No aggression at all, just inquisitive.

At any rate, we've been keeping half an eye on Craigslist and just found this gorgeous girl...we are going to check her out tomorrow. She is about 6-7 years old and apparently does well with both other cats and small dogs, but not bigger dogs (the owners have a terrier she likes, and a pit bull which she is extremely nervous about, which is one of the reasons, other than their move, that they ar rehoming her). Don't know yet whether we will decide to bring her home, but she seems as though she could be quite a good fit. ...not sure if thelink is going to work. The second photo of her is quite impressive!  https://newlondon.craigslist.org/pet/5427101524.html

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 8

If you know the date, you might make a reservation RIGHT NOW at the closest, reasonably priced hotel in the area. Or, at the very least, rent a comfy, air conditioned camper for the weekend. (I have no idea if that is more cost effective than a hotel.....I don't camp any more, either.)

Here's the best part. Our aunt is not divulging where the wedding is to be held. (Somewhere in Eastern Washington.) We'll have to wait for the invitation to get the details, which makes me wonder why things are so top-secret. Our cousin is not a rock star or British royalty.

And I am happy to report that for once, my husband told me that if we don't get firm details in the next two weeks, we'll tell them we can't make it and send a gift instead.

;-)

• Love 6

It doesn't sound like they are expecting to provide housing for out of town guests.  I may be foolish, but I never expected it, and prefer to have my own bolt hole and toilet and place to hang my stuff anyway.  Maybe these folks know a lot of campers or motor homers so are providing that information but doesn't mean you have to stay, nor could you without a tent, motorhome, or trailer.  I think a motel or hotel is the order of the day here.

• Love 1

Oh bless you Jynnan for adopting an older cat - I sure hope everything works out for you and for your kitty.  Yeah, he does sound like he needs a friend.

I don't know why I can be such a heavy hard ass on so many circumstances but the parents lately.  I think it's just since the male parent's health took that dip last year I was just trying to be helpful to the mother, and now I'm in this groove.  I will be getting out of that rut after tomorrow hopefully. The mother called me early afternoon, knowing I was already going out, and wanted to add a couple of more things to her list.  Okay fine and dandy, but I seized on the opportunity to tell her that I would be cutting this down to one shopping trip a week.  She was a bit peevish sounding during the rest of the call but that's just the way it is baby...

In some good news, my daughter made it thru the first level of being accepted into the Radiology program at the local college here.  I hope she can get in all the way, it's something she really wants to do and I think she'll be good at it.  She's not the most charitable soul but she has remarked several times that she'd like to end up maybe at a hospital but also volunteering at a free clinic doing mammograms and such.  If not her Plan B is getting into physical therapy.  

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 6

If anyone recalls our almost-18-year-old cat which passed away a few weeks ago, our remaining cat has been acting quite lonesome and needy. Even though they didn't have that much of a relationship (we got him as a kitten when she was 10, and she never wanted much of anything to do with him (she was always the type who might learn to tolerate another cat over time, but not particularly gladly). At any rate, this remaining cat is now about 8 years old, and a huge (literally) baby. He really would like a friend, I think...he tries to play with my dog (which is less than half his size) sometimes, but other than the occasional chase down the hallway, they don't really interact that much either....So we decided maybe we should keep our eyes open for another cat closer to his age and personality. He's not the brightest bulb in the box, but very much a people person and seems very interested in any other animal that comes through. No aggression at all, just inquisitive.

At any rate, we've been keeping half an eye on Craigslist and just found this gorgeous girl...we are going to check her out tomorrow. She is about 6-7 years old and apparently does well with both other cats and small dogs, but not bigger dogs (the owners have a terrier she likes, and a pit bull which she is extremely nervous about, which is one of the reasons, other than their move, that they ar rehoming her). Don't know yet whether we will decide to bring her home, but she seems as though she could be quite a good fit. ...not sure if thelink is going to work. The second photo of her is quite impressive!  https://newlondon.craigslist.org/pet/5427101524.html

I hope that if you go ahead with adopting her, Cora the cat fits in well with the other cat and the other family members. She is a lovely looking cat. I did chuckle at the 'flee' prevention they give you - at least you know she won't run away!

• Love 3

If anyone recalls our almost-18-year-old cat which passed away a few weeks ago, our remaining cat has been acting quite lonesome and needy. He really would like a friend, I think...

Cora does seem like good fit and she is really a pretty girl. Good luck!

Ambien. Hmmm. So, there's a little-known side effect with Ambien, and I seem to be one of the few allegedly lucky ones that exhibit it.

Beware: TMI

I had to take an Ambien for a sleep study. I did not want to have that (typically pleasurable) side effect in front of the sleep study techs who were watching my room through a camera all night. One of the (female) techs assured me that it has happened in the lab more than once, and it wasn't a big deal. Embarrassing, but not a big deal.

Let's just say I won't be taking Ambien again...

whaaaaaat??? WHATWHATWHAT?????? Don't leave me hanging like this... I nearly had a heart attack when I read this because... We know I love me some AMBIEN... WHAT have I been doing that I don't even remember? I don't care about TMI; I'm hoping I haven't been sharing side effects all over the neighborhood - as one of my side effects is occasionally participating in activities I don't remember.
  • Love 2

Everyday coworker sits on the phone and makes doctor appointments for her 20 something daughter. It doesn't matter what it is, doctor appointment, custody issues, setting up daughters WIC and other public assistance. She'll call out of work to babysit her granddaughter, or to cosign for her daughter's car etc.

You have my deepest sympathy/empathy/telepathic channeling resources. Only very early on in my working life did I have to deal with co-workers who thought their JOB was to take care of their home life. This drove me outofmymind when I worked in public. I remember instances where I felt so hog-tied (you want to work in a friendly, caring atmosphere, and yet, you want WORK to be happening in this place...) and it's so grossly unfair to those of you who DIDN'T come to work to take care of your personal issues. Is everybody aware of this or is it something only you are able to hear from your vantage point?
  • Love 1

Joe - Is your/her supervisor aware of problem? Since it doesn't seem like a one time only occurrence on Rude coworkers part, I'm sure others are aware. Maybe you could all gang up on her. Only kidding, nowadays you would end up in court. I wish you all worked at the last office I worked at. There was one gal who would have definitely told Rude what she could do with her personal business during work time. It wouldn't have been pretty.

Cherry - wishing your daughter luck.

• Love 1

whaaaaaat??? WHATWHATWHAT?????? Don't leave me hanging like this... I nearly had a heart attack when I read this because... We know I love me some AMBIEN... WHAT have I been doing that I don't even remember? I don't care about TMI; I'm hoping I haven't been sharing side effects all over the neighborhood - as one of my side effects is occasionally participating in activities I don't remember.

Have you noticed an increase in popularity lately?

• Love 4

Jynnan, Cora is beautiful, and it seems she would work well with your lonesome boy. I hope it works out! I'm also a fan of rescuing an older kitty. Maybe if they're the same age, they'll get along better and play. The only concern I would have is the girl-boy thing, because sometimes, but not always, that matters to animals. But I think your boy would enjoy a companion & playmate!

• Love 1

Would it be feasible to rent a camper van or little trailer over there? Might be cheaper than a B&B but not sure.

Totally with you on Eastern WA camping.

My pants tried to kill me today.

I'm wearing a pair of cute black pin-striped pants with a cuff on the bottom of the legs and my heel caught in the cuff as I was walking down a flight of stairs at work. If I hadn't have been hanging onto the handrail I would have gone tumbling down the stairs. The Salvation Army is getting another article of clothing in their donation bin this weekend.

What I don't understand is this: if you're old enough to have a baby; you should be old enough yo take care of your own shit. Especially when you only work part time and your baby daddy only works part time.

Preach.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 5

Jynnan, Cora is beautiful, and it seems she would work well with your lonesome boy. I hope it works out! I'm also a fan of rescuing an older kitty. Maybe if they're the same age, they'll get along better and play. The only concern I would have is the girl-boy thing, because sometimes, but not always, that matters to animals. But I think your boy would enjoy a companion & playmate!

Our previous old cat was female, and he was fine with her. Also, when my daughter & son-in-law stayed with us, they had their female cat, and other than he was scared of her because she's a demon-kitty he was fine. He's also fine with my mother-in-law's female cat which comes with her when she visits, so unless Cora (I think, as a fan of Neil Gaiman's books, I'm going to call her Coraline) turns out to have a issue with male cats we should be fine.

We brought her home a little bit ago, ut are keeping her segregated in the back bedroom for a day or two until she gets acclimatized before introducing her to the other critters. Her previous owners are very flexible as far as taking her back if things don't work out, and they have until April before they have to move, so it seemed a pretty safe bet to try her out.

• Love 5

You have my deepest sympathy/empathy/telepathic channeling resources. Only very early on in my working life did I have to deal with co-workers who thought their JOB was to take care of their home life. This drove me outofmymind when I worked in public. I remember instances where I felt so hog-tied (you want to work in a friendly, caring atmosphere, and yet, you want WORK to be happening in this place...) and it's so grossly unfair to those of you who DIDN'T come to work to take care of your personal issues. Is everybody aware of this or is it something only you are able to hear from your vantage point?

All of my coworkers are aware of this because she talks SO LOUD and they've actually worked with her for years so they know about her codependent relationship with her daughter (who's an only child). They are even surprised that her adult daughter can wipe her own ass. Let me clarify, these are multiple calls a day mostly relating to her daughter, but sometimes it's just mundane things like having a package delivered to her home. Who calls Fed Ex 6 times in one day to instruct THEM on how to drop off a package?

Tomorrow she will be in late because her 21 year old daughter is having a medical test and she "needs to be there to hold the baby" while her daughter is getting her test. The baby is still young enough to be put in a car seat.

I also heard from someone else that coworker will even call daughters employer to let them know that daughter is sick and won't be into work if her daughter isn't feeling well. This lady even has the nerve to criticize the baby daddy for being coddled and spoiled by his mother.

My boss is aware of her phone calls, but doesn't really give a shit about anything or anyone so nothing gets said.

Edited by Joe Jitsu913

All of my coworkers are aware of this because she talks SO LOUD and they've actually worked with her for years so they know about her codependent relationship with her daughter (who's an only child). They are even surprised that her adult daughter can wipe her own ass. Let me clarify, these are multiple calls a day mostly relating to her daughter, but sometimes it's just mundane things like having a package delivered to her home. Who calls Fed Ex 6 times in one day to instruct THEM on how to drop off a package?

Tomorrow she will be in late because her 21 year old daughter is having a medical test and she "needs to be there to hold the baby" while her daughter is getting her test. The baby is still young enough to be put in a car seat.

I also heard from someone else that coworker will even call daughters employer to let them know that daughter is sick and won't be into work if her daughter isn't feeling well. This lady even has the nerve to criticize the baby daddy for being coddled and spoiled by his mother.

My boss is aware of her phone calls, but doesn't really give a shit about anything or anyone so nothing gets said.

what a PITA. I worked with one of those in a cubicle farm but mine was a guy who solved all his friends problems. One of my BFF owns a private school. She has high standards for her teachers and recently after due process fired one of her teachers. The fired teacher's MOM called her, made excuses for her daughter, and then said " you can't fire my daughter !" My friend said "I just did!" and hung up. We have both come across kids two generations removed from us that have no sense of accountability.

Joe -is there a higher up boss or human resource person you all can go to voice complaints? How are you expected to get your work done when you have to listen to her? Too bad you & coworkers can't do some type of "work out" where everyone takes care of their personal business or plays games on their phones all at the same time, not doing any work. Maybe this would get the manager's attention. This woman knows she can do whatever she wants because she gets away with it & isn't being reprimanded by management. I feel really bad for you& your coworkers.

• Love 3

I always hated firing people (well...almost always). 

Labor-workers first response ALWAYS (with the shock face):  But I NEEEEEED my joooooob!!!

No, see... YOU don't have a job. 

No!  No!  You don't understand!!!  I NEED this job!!!

Well, I agree that you need probably A job.  But not this one. 

And Readalot - I'm sure there's probably been much research on work habits and generational differences.  I worked in 2 different facilities where most of the workforce happened to be women.  Both facilities were remnants of old sewing plants owned by a major children's clothing manufacturer (before sewing was all taken offshore for $3.00 a week).  I had several sets of mother/daughter relatives.  The mothers would come to work if they were dying.  The daughters would lay out for a hangnail.  Drove me CRAZY!  And to clamp the gap even more, I had some sister sets as well.  Almost without exception, the older sister had work habits more like the older workers.  The further down (so to speak) they were in a family, the more likely they were to be slackers.  I also worked in a facility that was mostly male.  Males are generational slackers too, but they (additionally) LIE about why they are lazy and have no work ethic.  The girls will flat out tell you "I'm going to get my hair did".

I should qualify all that by explaining that I've been recommending for years (YEARS!) that the county those facilities were in should be bulldozed.  It's an old mill town (county) in rural Georgia and I think the whole thing should be turned under and started from scratch.  I had to go there a couple weeks ago, and I swear, it hasn't changed one tiny little bit except to get marginally worse.

• Love 3

Joe -is there a higher up boss or human resource person you all can go to voice complaints? How are you expected to get your work done when you have to listen to her? Too bad you & coworkers can't do some type of "work out" where everyone takes care of their personal business or plays games on their phones all at the same time, not doing any work. Maybe this would get the manager's attention. This woman knows she can do whatever she wants because she gets away with it & isn't being reprimanded by management. I feel really bad for you& your coworkers.

Been there, done that. Going to my boss's boss had backfired in the past. Very toxic place to work and my boss is very clique-y with my coworker. There's no point in venting my frustration since nothing will ever get done about it. I just put my headphones in and try to block it out.

• Love 3

Been there, done that. Going to my boss's boss had backfired in the past. Very toxic place to work and my boss is very clique-y with my coworker. There's no point in venting my frustration since nothing will ever get done about it. I just put my headphones in and try to block it out.

Thank God you can wear headphones.

I once worked with a gal who got very friendly with the manager & it wasn't fun.

• Love 1

I've moved up from the cube farm into an office, thank goodness. I used to sit between one woman who was partially deaf in one ear (and refused to wear a hearing aid so she pretty much yelled everything and thought it was a normal speaking voice) and another woman who insisted on putting all calls on speaker phone. It was a nightmare.

I don't understand this mentality of taking days off when you're barely sick or taking huge chunks of the work day to attend to personal matters. Yes, it sucks to be stuck at work all day, but that's life when you're not independently wealthy. I work with a lady who takes an entire day off when she has a dentist or doctor appointment. I manage to schedule my appointments for early in the morning or the end of the day so I'm not missing a ton of work, it's not that difficult.

• Love 3

I feel for ya. I had a temp job with the state revenue dept. I remember one guy who was totally obnoxious. He smelled, would make disgusting noises, was a smoker (smell like he was a human cigarette,) and would pick his nose. Ewwww... I finally got tired of it and ask if I could move to another computer desk.  Some people would talk up a storm while the rest of us would try to do our job of typing income tax information into the state computer system. One person got upset because someone else was humming while typing. She got in trouble for it.

I admit I did take a whole day off for appointments or blood tests especially last year. I started feeling like crap within a month of starting my temp job. I had days where I was completely out of it. I am sure the sleep apnea was kicking in, and I did not want to attempt staying at work and becoming more tired to the point where I should not be behind the wheel. I ask to go home because I was dozing off and was struggling to stay awake. I was glad to make it home in one piece. Of course, my blasted thyroid levels being off did not help either. I probably scared a few of my supervisors because I was shaking and turning pale a few times.

I've moved up from the cube farm into an office, thank goodness. I used to sit between one woman who was partially deaf in one ear (and refused to wear a hearing aid so she pretty much yelled everything and thought it was a normal speaking voice) and another woman who insisted on putting all calls on speaker phone. It was a nightmare.

OMG, Emma...how did you manage to go to work every day??? The closest I've been to that kind of zoo was once I was involved in a startup operation. Handily (bleh!!!) there was an open reception type area between the owner's offices - a married couple. Her desk faced mine, he was to my left. They were both bellowers and would yell back and forth all day long in what they thought were normal speaking voices. People would ask me on the phone "are you having a party???" Nnnnnnnope. Normal day at the nut farm.

Meet the newest member of the family, Coraline! She spent most of yesterday and today in hiding, but has come out in the last few hours and is ALL about the attention. She seems pretty noncommittal about the other cat and the dog so far, so we are hoping they will eventually bond, but at the very least we don't see any imminent problems. This picture was taken after a nice session with comb and brush, which she LOVES! And that's probably a very good thing!

Hope the address  works...You should be able to cut and paste it if you are interested, but I don't seem to have any luck getting a link to work...Sorry.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12651097_10153811497332778_7055953448047339188_n.jpg?oh=d14a371093b3b00e44008bf334d8375b&oe=5726C4D5

Oops...guess the link worked..nevermind :)

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12651097_10153811497332778_7055953448047339188_n.jpg?oh=d14a371093b3b00e44008bf334d8375b&oe=5726C4D5

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 18

I feel for ya. I had a temp job with the state revenue dept. I remember one guy who was totally obnoxious. He smelled, would make disgusting noises, was a smoker (smell like he was a human cigarette,) and would pick his nose. Ewwww... I finally got tired of it and ask if I could move to another computer desk. Some people would talk up a storm while the rest of us would try to do our job of typing income tax information into the state computer system. One person got upset because someone else was humming while typing. She got in trouble for it.

I work with another woman who doesn't wear a bra and she wear shirts that are clingy and see through without a camisole underneath. She is a BIG lady. Let's just say she's been shopping in the frozen food section. Yet, HR and management have done nothing about it.

• Love 2

Meet the newest member of the family, Coraline! She spent most of yesterday and today in hiding, but has come out in the last few hours and is ALL about the attention. She seems pretty noncommittal about the other cat and the dog so far, so we are hoping they will eventually bond, but at the very least we don't see any imminent problems. This picture was taken after a nice session with comb and brush, which she LOVES! And that's probably a very good thing!

Hope the address  works...You should be able to cut and paste it if you are interested, but I don't seem to have any luck getting a link to work...Sorry.

What a beauty!!!!  We miss having furry children, but, are content with the fish for now.  We pretend the Betta, "Frank Lawrence" knows us.  Aren't we silly!

• Love 4

I work with another woman who doesn't wear a bra and she wear shirts that are clingy and see through without a camisole underneath. She is a BIG lady. Let's just say she's been shopping in the frozen food section. Yet, HR and management have done nothing about it.

Joe -Wow! Maybe you can write a new work manual for your office. Sounds like they desperately need one.

JynannTonnix - Coraline is beautiful. A big welcome to her.

• Love 2

My pants tried to kill me today.

I'm wearing a pair of cute black pin-striped pants with a cuff on the bottom of the legs and my heel caught in the cuff as I was walking down a flight of stairs at work. If I hadn't have been hanging onto the handrail I would have gone tumbling down the stairs. The Salvation Army is getting another article of clothing in their donation bin this weekend.

Preach.

Ooooof, I hear you, I'm most sad that this reminds me that I wasn't hanging on to the handrail at the time my cuffed pants tried to kill me and so I did end up on the floor at the bottom of the stairs.  Even though it was eons ago, your post brought the memory right back. I remember it so precisely because it was the day I decided to quit smoking and then, after work as I was laying at the bottom of the stairwell, it just became "nope, not today".  I was okay and did eventually quit, but that was not the day.

I take no joy that your pants tried to kill you, but I take some comfort that I wasn't the only person assaulted by their own pants.  This is a crime spree! If I ever run for office, be assured that "cuffed pants are killers that should be outlawed" will be part of my platform!:)

Be well!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 10

OMG, Emma...how did you manage to go to work every day??? The closest I've been to that kind of zoo was once I was involved in a startup operation. Handily (bleh!!!) there was an open reception type area between the owner's offices - a married couple. Her desk faced mine, he was to my left. They were both bellowers and would yell back and forth all day long in what they thought were normal speaking voices. People would ask me on the phone "are you having a party???" Nnnnnnnope. Normal day at the nut farm.

HFC, they were both extremely nice women who didn't mind being reminded of their issues. But it was every freaking day and I just got tired of saying the same thing over and over without results. I had my headphones in a lot and took a lot of calls in a conference room.

pennben, it's good to know I'm not the only victim of cuffed pants. I'm better off with skinny or straight leg pants (thank goodness I've lost weight and am at a size where those styles look okay on me). Wide leg, boot leg and cuffed are just accidents waiting to happen for me.

• Love 2

Very pretty kitty. What do they call that color in a cat? Cream? English tea with milk? Whatever, that is a very pretty kitty. Congrats on having a new member of the family!

• Love 5

I know it's been awhile since I posted on this thread. I need to vent about my co-worker and coworkers adult daughter who just had a baby. Sorry if this is random, but this is driving me insane.

Her daughter will call crying hysterically over her baby daddy not loving her and of course, rather than get up from her desk, coworker would rather sit there and talk loudly enough so everyone can hear the crisis of the day. Its not like her daughter has a demanding career. Her daughter only works part time at Friendlys but coworker will insist to make all the appointments. Her daughter has some sort of medical certificate, but "can't find a job in that field". Baby Daddy is useless too.

Today, coworker was calling around to order birthday supplies for the granddaughter. Her birthday isn't until APRIL!!

Blows my mind. I can't understand being so codependent that I have to depend on mommy to make my appointments. Fucking ridiculous.

Dear Joe, I can completely relate. Sorry to say it, but in my experience some women remain "take-care-of-everything" mommies their entire lives - no matter how old their children become. In their minds, their kids never become fully-functioning mature adults. I spent the last 25 years of my career at a large university in graduate admissions, and over the years dealt with an unbelievable number of mothers who were "interceding" on behalf of their graduate student offspring. No kidding. They sent or personally brought applications to our office, paid application fees, called with umpteen questions, brought or sent supporting documents [essays, transcripts, recommendation letters, creative portfolios etc]. You name it. For young men and women - but overwhelmingly young men - who were applying for masters or PhD level studies! Fathers do not do this, and mothers do not do it for their daughters in most instances. But the number of mothers who step in on behalf of their baby boys is amazing. If someone had told me when I started the job how often I'd see this, I'd never have believed them.

• Love 2

Wellfleet, I work in a court house. I can't tell you how many times a day parents--mothers and fathers, but mostly mothers, call in with regards to their "babies." Yes. They say "babies". Sometimes these "babies" are in their 40s and have committed terrible crimes. It's awful and no wonder these individuals keep committing crimes if momma keeps bailing them out, as a matter of fact, one mother kept crying to the judge that she was losing her house over her son jumping bond 7 times. Judge told her, "Quit bailing him out!"

• Love 4

I worked in retail for nine years, and I remembered parents calling the store to see if their son or daughter were at work. Some parents who already work in the store had their son or daughter apply for jobs. The majority of the kids were lazy and had the job skills of a dirty dishrag sitting in dirty soapy water for a few days.

Coraline is beautiful. Congratulations.

• Love 2

I worked in retail for nine years, and I remembered parents calling the store to see if their son or daughter were at work. Some parents who already work in the store had their son or daughter apply for jobs. The majority of the kids were lazy and had the job skills of a dirty dishrag sitting in dirty soapy water for a few days.

I believe it. In general, I think it's a really poor move for any organization to hire relatives. No matter what. While it certainly CAN work out in some instances, the perception of nepotism is always there. Even if there actually was no favoritism being shown, others never quite believe that. It makes for a tough time for the new hire in most cases - and he/she never really realizes why. But existing staffers do not fully accept people hired under those circumstances. In my office a few years back, "we" hired our receptionist's niece who was already a student at our school. For some reason that no one else could EVER understand, our director just thought this kid was some kind of marvel. Was always praising her or thanking her at staff meetings - and for the lamest reasons. My best friend in the office leaned over one day before the meeting got started and whispered "I wonder if Alice is going to be commended for tying her own shoes again today?" 

• Love 3

I want us to have a book club. Recommendations for us to read and comment on. Not that reading takes over our other lovely discussions - just a pile of books for recommendation. Ones you've read for your recommends, and what others think that have read them. I love a good book. I looooooove a good read. I love books that stick with me for years after. Kaye Gibbons, Chris Bojalian, Barbara Kingsolver. Honestly, I'm all over the map. I especially adore books (usually family sagas) written from the child's perspective. I just love books. I love to read. If I don't have a book, I read cereal boxes, and do crosswords. I just know there are some readers bursting at the seams to share a gook they gobbled up. Is this breaking a rule somewhere?

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 4

I want us to have a book club. Recommendations for us to read and comment on. Not that reading takes over our other lovely discussions - just a pile of books for recommendation. Ones you've read for your recommends, and what others think that have read them. I love a good book. I looooooove a good read. I love books that stick with me for years after. Kaye Gibbons, Chris Bojalian, Barbara Kingsolver. Honestly, I'm all over the map. I especially adore books (usually family sagas) written from the child's perspective. I just love books. I love to read. If I don't have a book, I read cereal boxes, and do crosswords. I just know there are some readers bursting at the seams to share a gook they gobbled up. Is this breaking a rule somewhere?

I like the idea.  Here is one to start.  This simple book had a big impact on me

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L2ZETI/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1

The only Barbara Kingsolver I read (actually listened to in her own voice which was lovely) was Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Vegetable-Miracle-Barbara-Kingsolver-ebook/dp/B000QTD62Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1454670902&sr=1-1&keywords=animal+vegetable+miracle+by+barbara+kingsolver