Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Well, we're iced in down here and Fort Worth had a horrific 100 car pile up on I35 that killed at least 5 people this morning. It's not supposed to get above freezing until maybe Thursday of next week and we might get significant snow on Sunday night (right before my surgery on Monday, because, of course!). My back deck froze over and the dog went sailing off into the grass this morning, carrying on the tradition of her predecessor, lol. I'm not planning to leave the house until Saturday, when I have to go do a Covid test.

In other not great news, my mom has not been feeling well all week. She thought she was getting a sinus infection and apparently Covid side effects can mimic sinus infection side effects, so her doctor had her do a Covid test today. We should get the results tomorrow. It's just one thing after another with her health, it's exhausting and stressful. 

2 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Well, we're iced in down here and Fort Worth had a horrific 100 car pile up on I35 that killed at least 5 people this morning. It's not supposed to get above freezing until maybe Thursday of next week and we might get significant snow on Sunday night (right before my surgery on Monday, because, of course!). My back deck froze over and the dog went sailing off into the grass this morning, carrying on the tradition of her predecessor, lol. I'm not planning to leave the house until Saturday, when I have to go do a Covid test.

In other not great news, my mom has not been feeling well all week. She thought she was getting a sinus infection and apparently Covid side effects can mimic sinus infection side effects, so her doctor had her do a Covid test today. We should get the results tomorrow. It's just one thing after another with her health, it's exhausting and stressful. 

Oh no! I am so very sorry.

• Love 7

Happy for everyone who's been able to get first or second shots for the vaccine! I have my grandparents on two wait-lists. One is rolling with no schedule and the other is for February 25 for their first doses. *fingers crossed*

@jcbrown I am so sorry about your friend, but I'm glad you got to reconnect with him before he passed. I'm sure that was something he cherished. 

@emma675 I was just coming on here to check on you. I've been iced in for the past couple of days too. (Managed to slip out between ice storms to get The Emperor a vet appointment on Tuesday. He's been super itchy lately and apparently has food allergies.) I knew we were supposed to get some snow next week, but now they're cautioning us that we may get our first blizzard since the early 2010s. I figured if that was true for us, it was true for you too. Hope your mom is okay and that you can get your surgery. 

• Love 8

It's snowing here again too. We've gotten so much snow in the last couple of weeks and haven't had any melting. We're supposed to get another 2-3 inches tomorrow but I don't think it's supposed to start till the afternoon so I should be able to get to my 2nd covid shot this time. 

I wish I could hibernate all winter! 

• Love 9
Just now, Jenniferbug said:

It's snowing here again too. We've gotten so much snow in the last couple of weeks and haven't had any melting. We're supposed to get another 2-3 inches tomorrow but I don't think it's supposed to start till the afternoon so I should be able to get to my 2nd covid shot this time. 

I wish I could hibernate all winter! 

When I was a little girl and I saw the geese flying away in the fall, I wondered why we couldnt fly south for the winter. Humans are a tropical species! But after I had to evacuate for Hurricane Katrina I said "winter never took my house away." and came back home for law school.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

When I was a little girl and I saw the geese flying away in the fall, I wondered why we couldnt fly south for the winter. Humans are a tropical species! But after I had to evacuate for Hurricane Katrina I said "winter never took my house away." and came back home for law school.

That is a good perspective! Mostly I don't mind the midwest, but winter is definitely my least favorite of the seasons. 

@Zella, no thanks! You can babysit that weather for us for a while LOL

• LOL 6
2 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

@Zella, no thanks! You can babysit that weather for us for a while LOL

I was pretty indignant to discover it is currently colder where I live in Arkansas than where my half-siblings live in Colorado. LOL

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Thank you.  That explains it!  I'm going to look into that one.   Does that mean I'D need a prescription in hand?

Our doctors call in our prescriptions to one pharmacy.  I don't think I could shop around.  I don't think say Walgreens would have access to CVS prescriptions.

Your doctor can call in the prescription.  Just show the pharmacy the "coupon" on your phone when you go to pay.  Your pharmacy will put your GoodRX number on your account (you will get a number when you sign up on the app.) You can always ask your Dr for a written RX.  Pharmacies are used to using GoodRX.  Sign up for the app, and they will help you when you need meds.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Jenniferbug, come down here and get your weather, we don't want it anymore!

Zella, be careful, ice is the worst! I don't have any snow melt or rock salt so I sprinkled sea salt on my back deck to melt the ice. It seems to have worked! Hopefully, I can get a real fix soon and not waste anymore of my good salt. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I hope I catch all the replies I can here!

@Turquoise-yay for the husband (said in Jill's voice) but boo on the uterus.  I'm glad to hear he is improving.
@SunnyBeBe-I can't think of anything off hand than what you're already doing.  Oh, one thing.  Check the manufacturer's website for coupons.  Another option, but kinda crazy, would be to join a rewards type program to get gift cards to various stores.  There's MyPoints and Swagbucks.  You can build up the points without doing much work, and then trade the points on GCs to Target, Walgreens, or CVS.  
@Jeanne222-You can either request a new RX from your doctor or if you know which pharmacy you want to use (use GoodRX first), you can go to that store and ask them to do a transfer from your current pharmacy.  A few caveats with GRX--some independent pharmacies will not accept the card/coupon because it creates the cost to go so low, they are unable to make any money on the prescription.  I use a concierge pharmacy, and they will not accept GRX or other similar programs.  GRX cards can be used on pet prescriptions, which can make a huge difference if your furry kid is on a maintenance medication.  Lastly, some meds may not be covered, especially controlled meds.  Walmart, specifically, put the hammer down on how they are filling a drug that is in drug class II (this class is mostly pain meds).  While the pharmacy may accept the coupon for an "everyday" med, they may not cover controlled meds.  As a total aside, I worked way too long in a pharmacy!

I'm so glad to see so many of you are able to get the vaccine.  I'm convinced Mr. Six & I will not be eligible until late spring/early summer.  His option through work has not panned out yet, and even though I've been dealing with tachycardia, I don't think that's going to put me in a higher category.  My mom got her first dose last Friday, and she scheduled to get her second one on March 5th.  She did outstanding with the first one, but she's getting prepared for the second.  My FIL had to have surgery on his eye this week, and the appointment was kept.  My GMIL is 91 with a few moderate health issues, but she has not received her first one yet.  And finally, I want to thank you all again for the thoughts and prayers for Millie.  She is doing so much better and is already back on her regular food being her regular over-the-top self.  We go Saturday for her follow up, and I'm hoping we're back before more snow moves in.  We had about 2" here overnight, but it was fairly easy to deal with.  I am so over winter...

• Love 13

Cosmo was in the living room while I did my workout this evening. At first he was like “what are you moving around for?” The he used it as excuse to chase his tail, and then he finally calmed down. I’m now giving Blake lap time. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 11

Well, Monday should be interesting here in Houston. It will be very cold ( for us) with 60% of rain, ice,snow? I have no idea if I will have to work they let the Dallas store open from 1 to 5 today. No one will talk about the possibilities of what we may do because its to soon. After all that massive cold front may decide not to visit Houston. It may just turn into a warm front so no need to plan ahead. I do understand that no one know exactly that the weather will be but come on folks give us a hit of what you think you may do.

• Love 6

Yes, CVS, Walgreens, Safeway, giant, Walmart, all major hospitals, etc are all supposedly offering it but there have never actually been openings. Some people are driving hours away to rural areas because it’s the only place that has any availability. 

• Love 2

Glad to see some people are getting the vaccine. No word on when we will yet. Ugh. 

Were supposed to get snow this weekend again. It snowed last night too. Some melted but not much. I can't believe how cold it's getting in Texas.

That wreck in Ft Worth was horrific. Someone posted video they they took from the other side of the freeway, and the moment when a semi comes plowing into a jeep and a white pickup truck full tilt, and smashes the jeep and throws the truck into the air is horrible. 8 dead so far. Why TxDot didn't close the freeway down before it got so icy, and why that semi was going 65 is a mystery. Prayers for everyone.

My friend in North Dakota says it hasn't been above zero for a week, and won't be til next week probably. 

A couple pics of the snow from this morning.

FB_IMG_1613077173137.jpg

FB_IMG_1613077169139.jpg

FB_IMG_1613077165948.jpg

• Love 11
25 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

That wreck in Ft Worth was horrific. Someone posted video they they took from the other side of the freeway, and the moment when a semi comes plowing into a jeep and a white pickup truck full tilt, and smashes the jeep and throws the truck into the air is horrible. 8 dead so far. Why TxDot didn't close the freeway down before it got so icy, and why that semi was going 65 is a mystery. Prayers for everyone.

It actually happened around 6am so it was pretty dark and the icing had started about an hour or so before. Plus, we just don't have the same capabilities as northern cities to treat snow and ice. It's horrible but I don't think any one person or entity can be blamed. Ice is just the worst. As of now, there are 6 confirmed fatalities and 133 automobiles involved. 

Edited by emma675d
20 minutes ago, emma675 said:

It actually happened around 6am so it was pretty dark and the icing had started about an hour or so before. Plus, we just don't have the same capabilities as northern cities to treat snow and ice. It's horrible but I don't think any one person or entity can be blamed. Ice is just the worst. As of now, there are 6 confirmed fatalities and 133 automobiles involved. 

I hear ya. I lived in TX until I was a young adult and have lived in Colorado ever since. TX just isn't set up to deal with snow/ice. People usually don't even have snow brushes/ice scrapers in their vehicles there, unless they used to live somewhere North with more severe winters. Winter in Colorado was a whole new thing when I moved here that long-ago January. 😮    [ETA: I lived in Houston but I think that's pretty much true of most of the state. Maybe up in the Panhandle people are a bit more used to harsher winters - but it's so sparsely populated I don't think there's much government snow removal equipment for the roads.]

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I hear ya. I lived in TX until I was a young adult and have lived in Colorado ever since. TX just isn't set up to deal with snow/ice. People usually don't even have snow brushes/ice scrapers in their vehicles there, unless they used to live somewhere North with more severe winters. Winter in Colorado was a whole new thing when I moved here that long-ago January. 😮

Yep--I'm assuming Arkansas is like Texas in this respect too. We don't always have winter weather stuff budgeted for simply because chances are it won't be needed, and the money is instead allocated to a more guaranteed need. Which works for the years when it's not needed. Not so much for the years when it is needed. 

• Love 7

@SunnyBeBe I get my mother's pricy non-prescription eye drops from Costco, if there is one near you or perhaps Sam's Club, and buy their store brand.  If you don't see it on the shelf then ask at the pharmacy counter.  They keep quite a few items behind the counter.  That's the best I've been able to do.  

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I know. My husband grew up in Jersey Village.  Texans don't do ice. But I still think that truck was going way too fast. 

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Absolom said:

@SunnyBeBe I get my mother's pricy non-prescription eye drops from Costco, if there is one near you or perhaps Sam's Club, and buy their store brand.  If you don't see it on the shelf then ask at the pharmacy counter.  They keep quite a few items behind the counter.  That's the best I've been able to do.  

Thanks to you and Sixlets for the tips.  I’ll try anything. I used to have Sam’s Club membership, but don’t recall them selling the type of eye products I needed, but I’ll check again. It’s been about a year.  I could make my own, but it has to be sterile.  

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

I know. My husband grew up in Jersey Village.  Texans don't do ice. But I still think that truck was going way too fast. 

Yes ,and most of us stay at home if we can. The problem come when you are told you have to go to work.  I agree that truck seemed to be going very fast but its hard to tell how fast he truly was going because everything else seemed to be stopped. 

• Love 4

@SunnyBeBe, I have prescription dry-eye medication, Restasis, and it comes in little one-use vials. But it is crazy to use them that way. There are at least three to four doses in each vial and as long as you use clean hands and don’t touch the vial to your eye, you can use every drop. The top clicks back on to make a perfect seal. I tried to add a photo, but it’s too many kB’s and I don’t know how to make it smaller. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

@SunnyBeBe, I have prescription dry-eye medication, Restasis, and it comes in little one-use vials. But it is crazy to use them that way. There are at least three to four doses in each vial and as long as you use clean hands and don’t touch the vial to your eye, you can use every drop. The top clicks back on to make a perfect seal. I tried to add a photo, but it’s too many kB’s and I don’t know how to make it smaller. 

I am concerned about using Restasis because  I have been told you cannot stop. It is expensive and probably my insurance will pay for it but when I have to start Medicare I am not sure if the insurance will pay for it.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I am concerned about using Restasis because  I have been told you cannot stop. It is expensive and probably my insurance will pay for it but when I have to start Medicare I am not sure if the insurance will pay for it.

My doctor had me stop.  My eyes were better with it, and still as good without it.  I used the vials until they were empty, too.  The thinking on Restasis has changed in the last few years.  I don't think it is considered a "lifetime use" med anymore--at least that is what my Dr said.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

I tried to use Restasis, but it irritated my eyes. It must be an allergy to it.  I wish I could use it. It would be covered by my insurance. Also, I tried a new prescribed daily eye drop that I ALSO could not take!  I can’t recall the name.  I had a similar reaction.  But, thanks for the suggestion.  I actually have a prescription for a daily eye serum. You go to a lab where they draw your blood and mix it with a serum of your own blood and create an eye drop. I’ve heard that’s the best, but that’s super pricy several hundred dollars a bottle, plus lab fee and is not covered by insurance at all.  I’m going to get that done by the spring.   Hopefully, I can tolerate that. 

Here’s a link about it. It’s a lot to invest in something else that I can’t use.  I know that the ointment and gel work pretty well. But, I will take a chance when I get some extra money.  During covid, I have to be budget conscious.  

https://www.eyecenters.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/serum_tears.pdf

Edited by SunnyBeBe
4 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

My doctor had me stop.  My eyes were better with it, and still as good without it.  I used the vials until they were empty, too.  The thinking on Restasis has changed in the last few years.  I don't think it is considered a "lifetime use" med anymore--at least that is what my Dr said.

Not sure about lifetime use.....I’m old, so not so worried about that. 🥴 I’m on Medicare with Kaiser, and insurance pays for it, @Crazycatlady. Good luck with the serum, @SunnyBeBe. Wow, I’ve never heard of that. Hope it works!

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Our second vaccine shot is on Saturday.  Hoping and praying the weather will cooperate.  Snow, snow and more snow!

Remember to keep your card with you and relax your arm for the injection!  We had no side effects from the Pfizer.  Praying none of you have any.

I'm both grateful and feeling selfish to be getting the vaccine.   So many have to work and come in contact.  My one daughter is a teacher and they are all so worried now that classes have resumed.

Another daughter is a psychiatric nurse and sooo many people are dealing with depression and anxiety!

Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever imagined a pandemic of this magnitude!

Stay well friends and be so careful of the ice especially on wooden decks and stairs where you can't see it!  Woops!

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 12

This winter in New England has been going full force in February. We've had three storms of four or more inches in the first 10 days and a couple more predicted for next week. We're also dealing with single digit temps. But we are almost half way through February!

March in New England almost always disappoints weather-wise, as I want more warm days sooner than they come, but spring is only a little more than a month away. And the sun is setting around 5pm now and getting later everyday. 

I feel like I'm wishing the days away, but I really need spring. The warmer weather allows me to ignore the pandemic just a little bit and puttering outside always lifts my spirits.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 9

@GeeGolly, I hear ya. Although our winter's been almost worryingly mild (meaning, drought and wildfires to come).

We're currently in a serious cold snap here in Denver (and much of the state), and as much as I hate it, it's overdue. I actually did a grocery store run yesterday afternoon because I just don't want to go out if I can help it, until the temps get back up to a balmy 20 degrees F on Monday. The teevee weather people say the mountains have a healthy amount of snow on the way, which is great because we're in a drought and that snowpack is our moisture for months to come. 

Last November I printed out a blank six-month calendar on a piece of paper, stapled it to a piece of cardboard, and propped it up on a shelf in my home office. I've been marking off the days, and since we got into January I've been able to really think of it as showing progress to Springtime. January and February are my least favorite months of the year, and this year I wasn't able to leave town for a week or more, which usually helps me get through. I don't remember to mark the calendar every day, and it's fun to take the red marker and line out three or four days at a time. Small pleasures, but good ones. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

This winter in New England has been going full force in February. We've had three storms of four or more inches in the first 10 days and a couple more predicted for next week. We're also dealing with single digit tempts. But we are almost half way through February!

March in New England almost always disappoints weather-wise, as I want more warm days sooner than they come, but spring is only a little more than a month away. And the sun is setting around 5pm now and getting later everyday. 

I feel like I'm wishing the days away, but I really need spring. The warmer weather allows me to ignore the pandemic just a little bit and puttering outside always lifts my spirits.

I understand what you're saying, I don't like winter either. BUT I kind of feel that winter makes the pandemic easier. Not like I would be going anywhere or doing anything besides working this time of year ANYWAY (I dont travel during this time of year because if a snow storm comes and I cannot get on a plane I would have a mini temper tantrum in the airport). However ask me how I feel when April comes and it's still cold even though we have more daylight.

• Love 7

I understand what you're saying, I don't like winter either. BUT I kind of feel that winter makes the pandemic easier. Not like I would be going anywhere or doing anything besides working this time of year ANYWAY (I dont travel during this time of year because if a snow storm comes and I cannot get on a plane I would have a mini temper tantrum in the airport). However ask me how I feel when April comes and it's still cold even though we have more daylight.

I really don't completely hate winter, its just way too long. Normally I would be not be working in my home. Going to work always made the last two months of winter more tolerable for me. I would still get cabin fever, but at least I was out and about for a bit, everyday.

I'm definitely struggling with being home 24/7. Due to our household, none of us go anywhere unless necessary, although my husband and I have gone for a few drives, to 'take our cars for walks', and to just get out of the house.

I love to do projects in the house and out in the yard, but his winter has left me not wanting to tackle anything. I'm hoping spring puts a spring in my step.

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I really don't completely hate winter, its just way too long. Normally I would be not be working in my home. Going to work always made the last two months of winter more tolerable for me. I would still get cabin fever, but at least I was out and about for a bit, everyday.

I get what you mean about it being long. I would be much better with winter if it was only Dec, Jan, February. But here in Chicago winter weather usually hits in November, and then lasts until April. Chicago has a sneeze of spring, hot summer, gorgeous fall, LONG ASS WINTER.

• Love 10

I get what you mean about it being long. I would be much better with winter if it was only Dec, Jan, February. But here in Chicago winter weather usually hits in November, and then lasts until April. Chicago has a sneeze of spring, hot summer, gorgeous fall, LONG ASS WINTER.

LOL. I have an April baby and a November baby. They both have had snow on their birthdays and both have had temps in the 70s, and everything in between. 

• Love 9

Morning friends!  I've been waiting to let you know my decision on my friend.  I needed to be on a computer that I can type long and hard.  lol.

My decision was to do nothing.  Let me explain.  After being so worried and afraid for my friend I sat down and thought it through.

My friend plays a little cat and mouse game with me.  Yes she does.  She loves to have me 'fix' things for her.  Fixes that she can always reject.  That's been our history.  She loves to 'present a problem' have me come up with several suggestions to 'fix' it then reject all of them with one thing or another.

A couple of months ago she went on and on how everything was falling apart.   So I jumped in and suggested she sell the house and go to either Low Income senior living or into assisted living.  She said why?  I said because you have no money and the house is falling apart.  Oh no she said.  Goes onto tell me New Furnace, New Windows, New Roof!   WTH I thought.  You just went on and on about the house and no money. 

She purred and enjoys those interreactions she and I have.  She in distress and me fixing things she can reject.  Sigh.

I thought about the support group she has.  Her son living with her.  Yes he's an alcoholic.  He's a binge alcoholic.  In between binges he holds different jobs, he is a college graduate, and does pretty well except for health issues that arrise due to drinking.  Her daughter lives a train ride away and comes in for every doctors appointment.  Right there by her side.  Her daughter is bossy and hates the brothers drinking and got him sober when mom and dad were in Alabama for the Winter but home came mom and back to the basement went son..drinking again.  So she does what she has to do for mom but hates that mom continues the enabling.  She's fed up but trying to take care of mom.

There are two physicians she sees regularly.  Neurologist and PCP.  I am sure they see her down hill and I'm pretty sure they have made suggestions she has rejected.  I don't know if I'm right or not but I would think they can't 'put' her someplace that would help her gain weight if she doesn't want to go. 

She has her next door neighbor who is a younger retired bank president and she has a small senior citizen group that meets once a week or month, I forget, that sees her regularly.  The younger, maybe early 60's, Senior Citizens director is part of that lunch group of 6. 

So with all of those people seeing her regularly I don't think it's for me that only talks to her on the phone once a month to pull the trigger.

They would find her lying in bed with her two cats she is watching for a friend...for two years now...sigh...lol, watching tv, eating Little DEbs.

Her memory has always been bad.  For ever and ever she has said 'I don't remember'.   The doctor gave her some new memory patch and when son went and got it he cost was high.  She told him 'don't open it' had him drive her to the pharmacy, presented her Good RX and got $150 removed from the cost.  I'd say she's doing ok.  lol

Sorry this has turned into a book but there are so many pieces of this puzzle.  Thank you for 'lifting me' up.  You all have wonderful advice and I'm loving this group!

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Love 17

@Jeanne222 You have to trust your judgment that you know what the best course of action. I believe you only have your friend's best interest as heart. It seems that she does have community of people around her to advocate for her if/when she is not capable of advocating for herself. 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Absolom said:

Also, Target store brand (I think Up and Up) sells most eyes OTC meds much cheaper than name brand.

• Useful 2

My god mother just called me asking if she could have peach ice cream for her birthday. She sounded so terribly weak. She SAYS she is feeling better but she doesn't sound well at all. She asked about Cosmo and said she loves the photos and videos I send her. I told her not to worry and of course I would find peach ice cream. 

I am so sad. Who knew a request for peach ice cream could make me feel so sad.

I understand.  All my mother wants is a piece of chocolate cake.  It's her choice of cake and she loves Walmart's chocolate chocolate or chocolate fudge.  I can't remember the name, but I'll know it when I get there.  So pandemic be hanged, I'm going to the Walmart neighborhood market before seeing mom on her birthday to get her a piece of cake.  This may well be her last one so she gets it.  

• Love 22

My mom's Covid test came back negative, which is great, but now she's at her cancer doctor's office receiving bags of fluid because she was dehydrated from not drinking enough (which is how she always is) and taking Mucinex to help with her drainage. I know I should be relieved, and I am, but part of me is just angry at all of the stress and fear that this has caused. She knows she never drinks enough, she knows she has to drink more, I've been reminding her of that for years, and yet, here we are. I'm just so fed up of being stressed out, worried, and afraid for the last few years. And I hate that I feel that way, because it's not fair to her, but it's just hard. Apologies for the cursing, but cancer can just fuck off, Covid can fuck off, quarantine can fuck off, and the cold, icy weather can fuck off. I don't know how those of you who are full time care givers do it, I just wouldn't have the mental strength for it. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, emma675 said:

My mom's Covid test came back negative, which is great, but now she's at her cancer doctor's office receiving bags of fluid because she was dehydrated from not drinking enough (which is how she always is) and taking Mucinex to help with her drainage. I know I should be relieved, and I am, but part of me is just angry at all of the stress and fear that this has caused. She knows she never drinks enough, she knows she has to drink more, I've been reminding her of that for years, and yet, here we are. I'm just so fed up of being stressed out, worried, and afraid for the last few years. And I hate that I feel that way, because it's not fair to her, but it's just hard. Apologies for the cursing, but cancer can just fuck off, Covid can fuck off, quarantine can fuck off, and the cold, icy weather can fuck off. I don't know how those of you who are full time care givers do it, I just wouldn't have the mental strength for it. 

Big squishy hugs for you sweet lady.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, emma675 said:

It's okay. You can be angry at the stress and fear. Being a caregiver IS HARD. PERIOD! And its an overlooked, under appreciated, non glamorous job. And this is your mother- your feelings are valid. ((((HUGS))))

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

My god mother just called me asking if she could have peach ice cream for her birthday. She sounded so terribly weak. She SAYS she is feeling better but she doesn't sound well at all. She asked about Cosmo and said she loves the photos and videos I send her. I told her not to worry and of course I would find peach ice cream. 

I am so sad. Who knew a request for peach ice cream could make me feel so sad.

Your godmother's request reminded me of this story of a WWII search for peach ice cream out of season. (Bliss Dairy is a local restaurant from where I used to live in MA that had the best ice cream. It was also where the local youth theatre group would head after performances. It was very much a local place that I miss terribly.)

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, emma675 said:

@emma675, I understand your frustration with your mother. We had the same experience with our mother the last several years of her life. Hospitalization after Hospitalization and every time she was dehydrated.  She insisted to us and to her doctors that she drank LOTS of water and I think she believed that. We left cups of water measured out in her refrigerator and we visited 3 times day and encouraged her to drink. All to really no avail.  We possibly  should have put her in long term care sooner but when we finally did, she literally gave up and died. I hope you succeed in helping your mother.  It is not an easy task. Prayers for strength and wisdom!

• Love 5
17 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Glad to see some people are getting the vaccine. No word on when we will yet. Ugh. 

I assumed you worked in FCPS and had easy access.  My husband was able to get the shot this morning with a very tenuous association with a preschool.  I urged him to get it since he also qualifies as 1b due to his weight.  It's crazy that there is such variability.  My parents had a pretty easy time scheduling their shots in Eastern NC but my in-laws in suburban Richmond can't get anyone to respond to messages left for their health department.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

Your godmother's request reminded me of this story of a WWII search for peach ice cream out of season. (Bliss Dairy is a local restaurant from where I used to live in MA that had the best ice cream. It was also where the local youth theatre group would head after performances. It was very much a local place that I miss terribly.)

That is a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing it with me.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

I am actually enjoying the winter and the snow (we only have an I hope or so), because I’m mostly inside the house anyway. I absolutely dread the super hot weather. I would much rather it be 30 degrees than 90. I get miserable when it’s so hot.

I prefer normal Arkansas winters (as long as they're not too icy). Not sure I'd feel the same way if I lived farther north and dealt with more severe winters, but I get overheated easily and hate hot, humid Arkansas summers with a fiery, fiery passion, and I get no joy out of spring or fall due to seasonal allergies. So, I get what you mean! 

@emma675 I'm so sorry! My grandfather has also had issues with being dehydrated. He's a little better about drinking water now, but he still probably doesn't drink enough, and what he does drink is mainly because he's hounded into it. 

• Love 6