Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, jennblevins said:

I used to work with someone who had a metal sculpture of a cat that wasn’t meant to look like a skeleton but did anyway. I kind of wish they’d thought to decorate it for holidays, because I found it sort of creepy — I used to pet it whenever I went by so that if it ever came to life, I wouldn’t be on the top of its metallic hit list. 

HILARIOUS!  I had to bring it to the office because it creeped my husband out a bit.  It IS creepy but looks so dang funny all dressed up.  

• Love 2

Odd question but can anyone recommend a good unscented or mildly scented hand lotion? I've got alligator hands all of a sudden and nothing seems to be lasting. DD and I stopped at a boutique-y holiday shop on the way home from yet another college tour and I used a sample. Blarghhhh! Nasty perfumey and actually made hands worse. 

• Love 1

If you can stand the mild coconut scent for a minute or two I've had luck with solid coconut oil from a jar. It melts in your hands, feels oily for a minute or two and then seems to smooth everything nicely. I don't like scented hand creams and this seems fine to me. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Catfin said:

Odd question but can anyone recommend a good unscented or mildly scented hand lotion? I've got alligator hands all of a sudden and nothing seems to be lasting. DD and I stopped at a boutique-y holiday shop on the way home from yet another college tour and I used a sample. Blarghhhh! Nasty perfumey and actually made hands worse. 

It's at Walmart too

https://www.amazon.com/Udderly-Smooth-Udder-Cream-Moisturizer/dp/B0000AS54S

• Love 1
11 hours ago, louannems said:

Get yourself a tube (yes, it comes in a tube) of Neutrogena Fisherman's Formula, unscented.  It really works!  I get it at Target.

This. Put it on at bedtime and your hands will be noticeably softer in the morning. I live in the Northwest and this stuff saves me in the winter. 

54 minutes ago, Kbo said:

This. Put it on at bedtime and your hands will be noticeably softer in the morning. I live in the Northwest and this stuff saves me in the winter. 

Pacific Northwest?  Me too!  I'm in Kent, Wa.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, louannems said:

8 hours ago, louannems said:

Ah yes. Son used to live in Kent and now they are in Puyallup and we visit often. Spectacular in summer so we stay longer. 

@Catfin, I live in the desert and can totally relate to seriously dry hands . I also cannot tolerate scented lotions/perfumes/anything. Eucerin makes a dry hand cream. You can apply at night and wear overnight and wear soft cotton gloves to avoid getting the mess on your bed clothes . The gloves are actually made for this kind of thing.  The thin gloves can be purchased at a beauty supply store and online too. Aveeno also makes a great lotion with no scent too. If none of the upthread suggestions don’t help, give these a try. Good luck!

• Love 2

@catfin I’ve also come across another odd suggestion over the years too. This one requires bedtime application as well.  Either use Vaseline or Neosporin and the use the gloves. I know , gross but it works when you are desperate . You maiy need two sets of gloves )or socks over the gloves) for those. Also when handling hot water, wear the yellow gloves with the white gloves underneath. Hand sanitizer will suck all off the moisture out of your hands too. You won’t be greasy in the morning , I promise! There is also another product called A&D ointment. It used to be for diaper rash but is great for restoring skin moisture!

• Love 1

I use Mary Kay satin hands because my friend sells it, but it is basically rubbing your hands with Vaseline and a scrub to get rid of the dead dry skin and then followed by a moisturizer. Any decent scrub or moisturizer should work just as well. 

• Love 1
On 12/1/2017 at 4:20 PM, bigskygirl said:

One of my local television stations has my two favorite television shows in the morning/early afternoon: Adam 12 and Emergency. Now I drool errr... I mean watch Jim, Pete, Roy and John in action. A lot of the older shows are better than the crap they have on tv now.

I totally agree with you. When I was in the ER last year for heart problems, one of the IV Solutions was "Ringers/Lactate."  I got all excited &  had to explain to my 20's  year old nurse that every patient that got an IV on Emergency it was "Ringers/Lactate."  She said it is an older solution they're bringing back. My Dad loved Emergency & it brings back nice memories of him watching it with me & my sister.  If we went to the store, we had to be home in time to watch it.  We decorated a plastic fire hat with Squad 51 on it for his birthday. He loved it!!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I totally agree with you. When I was in the ER last year for heart problems, one of the IV Solutions was "Ringers/Lactate."  I got all excited &  had to explain to my 20's  year old nurse that every patient that got an IV on Emergency it was "Ringers/Lactate." 

OMG - I did the same thing with my paramedics when I was rushed to the ER a few years back (for what turned out to be an anxiety attack)!!!!  Even though they were young, they had watched Emergency, being paramedics and all!  ETA: I love that show so much!  Always will.  @Barb23, that is so sweet about your dad.

Edited by SuspiciousMind
To add my love for Emergency!
  • Love 1

Barb-I own ALL off the Emergency DVD’s and have for a while. I guard them with my Iiife. I grew up with Emergency too. I think I bought one season a year as my own present to me? Lol It was well worth the money I spent. Even just one season  is fantastic to have. My dad understood my love of the show and would always quote it too and the sounds. Another thing I’ll miss that my dad and I shared.  But this is ok because it makes me smile.

My work sometimes takes me near a fire station, so if I hear a battalion called, I think ...”uh oh-sounds like a structure fire..”

• Love 1

My vet uses lactated Ringer’s solution whenever one of our babies needs subcutaneous fluids.  I remember the Emergency series showing when I was little.  I remember being very concerned about a little boy named Jimmy McCrae since he wasn’t much older than me.  Dad patted my head and thought it was cute, because he couldn’t convince me that it wasn’t real.  I was only 4 or 5 at the time. 

They also ran a cartoon of it when I was 8 or 9’ and I think IIRC that it had a first aid educational portion to the cartoon.  Then, we got a round of Schoolhouse Rock. Great lessons in grammar, civics, history.  I guess they don’t do that anymore.  If they don’t, it’s a real pity.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
Typo
  • Love 1

Ditto. I was probably the age of the oldest kids on the show. I was too mature for Sesame Street from its inception, but I had to put up with it since I had a younger brother in its target demographic. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Ditto. I was probably the age of the oldest kids on the show. I was too mature for Sesame Street from its inception, but I had to put up with it since I had a younger brother in its target demographic. 

Sesame Street was on Telly when I was small AND I had to put up with it for a Brother 4 years younger and a brother and sister 7&8 years younger than me. I endured it’s reruns twice.

• Love 1

My oldes is turning 50 this month. Sesame Street started soon after. Where we lived it was on 3 times a day. It was a bad winter so we hunkered down with him and his 3 month old baby brother and watched. I learned so much from that show haha. Imagine if all the duggars could have watched. 

• Love 2

I didn't see any Sesame Street as a kid - I was a bit too old for it when we first moved to the USA, but my kids all watched it, and I think I enjoyed it even more than they did! LOL. I loved some of the songs they had which had a bit of parody to them, like "Rebel L" and "The Sign Said 'Don't Walk'" (don't know whether that one is based on any specific song, not being much of a country music person, but I got a kick out of it). And the Count's Hungarian-sounding bits...To this day (30 years later), I still find myself singing some of them.

• Love 3
On 12/4/2017 at 6:39 PM, Love2dance said:

I was too old for it, but I like Zoom, too.

I know what you mean!

Random question -- did any other of my fellow Boomers watch any of the "Family" marathon on Decades TV this weekend?  I had forgotten just how good that series was.  I can't believe I'm now older than either Sada Thompson or James Broderick were at that time.  

• Love 2
On 12/1/2017 at 9:32 PM, Catfin said:

Lush. Lemony Flutter. It’s a cuticle butter but it will make your hands feel amazing. The lemon will gently eat away at the dry skin or alligatorishness. A little bit goes a long way, you’ve been forewarned!

On 12/4/2017 at 9:43 PM, Sew Sumi said:

My earliest childhood memory of television is The Young and the Restless that my babysitter would watch everyday at 12:30. I never napped so I always got to sit with her while everyone else was asleep. By the time I discovered seasame street, I was like “what is this baby show?!”  

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:
On 12/1/2017 at 8:32 PM, Catfin said:

Lush. Lemony Flutter. It’s a cuticle butter but it will make your hands feel amazing. The lemon will gently eat away at the dry skin or alligatorishness. A little bit goes a long way, you’ve been forewarned!

Fellow Lushie here. I love Charity Pot. It’s similar to Angels on Bare Skin, but a fraction of the price.  I’ve got sensitive skin and nothing from LUSH has ever broken me out. Even after chemo,  Charity Pot didn’t bother my skin.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, SuspiciousMind said:

I know what you mean!

Random question -- did any other of my fellow Boomers watch any of the "Family" marathon on Decades TV this weekend?  I had forgotten just how good that series was.  I can't believe I'm now older than either Sada Thompson or James Broderick were at that time.  

I didn't see this Family marathon, but saw one a few months back.  My mom & I watched the show back in the day.  Loved their house.

• Love 1
On 12/1/2017 at 6:32 PM, Catfin said:

I really like Gold Bond lotion.  I have really dry hands that get purple and break open they are so dry.  This stuff works like a charm.

On 12/3/2017 at 5:36 AM, lookeyloo said:

Ah yes. Son used to live in Kent and now they are in Puyallup and we visit often. Spectacular in summer so we stay longer. 

My sister and her husband are moving there.  They want my husband and me to move when I retire.  Never been there but they like it.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I really like Gold Bond lotion.  I have really dry hands that get purple and break open they are so dry.  This stuff works like a charm.

My sister and her husband are moving there.  They want my husband and me to move when I retire.  Never been there but they like it.

Make sure you visit in winter. It's hard to take for me, but they don't mind it.  Summers are spectacular.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, lookeyloo said:

Make sure you visit in winter. It's hard to take for me, but they don't mind it.  Summers are spectacular.

Thank you for that!  That is what I am afraid of.  I don't do well in super cold areas.  I have MS and I tend to get really achy in super cold/super hot weather.  It makes me feel like Goldilocks!  Too hot, too cold, WAH!

• Love 2
Just now, Natalie68 said:

Thank you for that!  That is what I am afraid of.  I don't do well in super cold areas.  I have MS and I tend to get really achy in super cold/super hot weather.  It makes me feel like Goldilocks!  Too hot, too cold, WAH!

You might do fine there.  My sister in law has MS and they live in Corvallis, OR and she does pretty well there.  They do need air conditioning and if you moved to Puyallup, you should get it too because it does get hot in summer. It's not just the cold, but the wetness, darkness, etc. that I call "grim" with very few respites of sunshine. Plus to me the northern sun isn't as warming as the southern sun.  We lived many years in South Louisiana and now live in metro Atlanta and there is a difference between 45 and sunny there and 45 and sunny here.   I guess it's personal preference.  My son hated living in hot and humid weather and likes it much better up there.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

You might do fine there.  My sister in law has MS and they live in Corvallis, OR and she does pretty well there.  They do need air conditioning and if you moved to Puyallup, you should get it too because it does get hot in summer. It's not just the cold, but the wetness, darkness, etc. that I call "grim" with very few respites of sunshine. Plus to me the northern sun isn't as warming as the southern sun.  We lived many years in South Louisiana and now live in metro Atlanta and there is a difference between 45 and sunny there and 45 and sunny here.   I guess it's personal preference.  My son hated living in hot and humid weather and likes it much better up there.  

Fantastic advice!  I personally have reservations and hearing its hot in the summer might not work with my sister.  They are leaving Paso Robles because they cannot stand the heat any longer.  I do best in a Mediterranean climate.  Not too hot, not too cold.  In my Mediterranean climate right now my feet are blocks of ice.  I am thinking we may just have to stay where we are!  

1 minute ago, Natalie68 said:

Fantastic advice!  I personally have reservations and hearing its hot in the summer might not work with my sister.  They are leaving Paso Robles because they cannot stand the heat any longer.  I do best in a Mediterranean climate.  Not too hot, not too cold.  In my Mediterranean climate right now my feet are blocks of ice.  I am thinking we may just have to stay where we are!  

That sounds like a good option too, staying where you are, or all of you can pick a mutually great location and move together.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Western Washington rarely gets super cold in winter.  Unless you get up into the mountains!  It was 50 and sunny today.  In December!  We do get lots of rain, but it's usually light rain.

• Love 1
On 12/2/2017 at 9:19 PM, louannems said:

I’m in Spokane, so technically inland NW. Less rainy than western Washington. Lots of northwesterners here!

• Love 1

In the low 40's and sunny here today (Southeastern Connecticut). I have the fireplace burning, though I don't really need it today, but since I got the house all decorated for Christmas it just seemed like the right touch. Actually, I don't have the tree up yet because it's too heavy for me to drag out of the basement, but son-in-law will help with that over the weekend. I like the climate here, though ideally would prefer something that doesn't get quite as hot in the summer. I'm a complete wimp when it comes to heat. which in my vocabulary means anything above 70, but I do like a good, brisk Winter.

Looking forward to Mr. Jyn coming back home for Christmas again - hopefully he'll agree to give up his job once his second year is up in September, but he keeps arguing that all the house projects we want to do will eat through the extra paycheck too fast. I know he's not happy living by himself down there, though, so it just doesn't really seem worth it in the long run.

• Love 5

Upper 30's here in north Texas today, brrrrr. No working fireplace so I've got the heat on and the dog and I are snuggled on the couch (I quit my ridiculously stressful job 3 weeks ago). There's even some snow south of my area!

For our folks in California please stay safe!

• Love 3

It has been cold with little snow. The temps have been in the 30's which may be considered a heat wave this time of year in Montana ( a long standing joke where I live.) The problem is the wind picks up a little and talk about brrrr... We have been dealing with snow and rain mixture at times making for some interesting driving. Monday morning they actually did not run school buses in the Helena School District and started school at 10:00 a.m., but East Helena had there buses go out and start school at the regular time. I do not remember starting school late when I was in school at all in cold weather or bad roads. I do remember certain school buses not running because of bad road conditions in areas outside of city limits.

Southern California here. It’s expected to be 85 degrees this weekend. But nights have been down to the 40’s. Crazy. (You can’t convince me that there isn’t global warming.)

I am not in the path of any of the present devastating fires, but years ago I did have to evacuate a previous home as wild fire flames came up the hill towards our house. So scary, and I am devastated for the families dealing with the loss of everything, and thankful to the brave firefighters who are working in the absolutely worst conditions.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Houston metro area is getting snow! Of course it won’t stick here, but it is sticking in Austin, San Antonio, and College Station. Oddly Corpus Christi and Laredo and even Brownsville are getting snow.

I could not believe  I woke up to snow this morning ! Honestly  surprised  we got any to  start with and   it stayed  all night. I have a light dusting, my aunt who lives about 10 miles north has 2 inches. Prayers  for  all near the fires in California   be safe.

11 hours ago, Love2dance said:

Southern California here. It’s expected to be 85 degrees this weekend. But nights have been down to the 40’s. Crazy. (You can’t convince me that there isn’t global warming.)

I am not in the path of any of the present devastating fires, but years ago I did have to evacuate a previous home as wild fire flames came up the hill towards our house. So scary, and I am devastated for the families dealing with the loss of everything, and thankful to the brave firefighters who are working in the absolutely worst conditions.

I am in Santa Barbara and the air quality is HORRIBLE!  But I am happy no fires in our hills right now.  Many people I know have been evacuated and my work is completely dead.  The air is so bad that people don't want to leave their house and masks are really hard to come by.  It horrible.  My thoughts are with everyone touched by this fire.

• Love 3

i am in southern cali and specific to my city - we are fine so far. however all the los angeles area fires are near enough to keep informed on. the new lilac and liberty fires are much closer to me but still, not a threat. i used to work in the area of the liberty fire - that would have been awful for me. as it is, i have friends/family in evacuation areas of nearly all the fires. i am a news hound so i keep watching for updates.  if you know me on f/b, i posted this: 'dear Lord, please send rain. cali is burning. amen.' 

on that note, i must get on the freeway to drive to see my darling granddaughter in her holiday musical at school. 

• Love 3
On 12/3/2017 at 0:19 AM, louannems said:

On 12/3/2017 at 0:19 AM, louannems said:

Here we are in metro Atlanta with enough heavy wet snow to make driving hazardous. I went out this am to drizzle which changed to snow - the cold wet heavy kind and I didn't know if I would make it up the hill to my house. Hunkering down now. 

• Love 3