Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, SMama said:

Ugh, not on Apple store ?.

Are you sure? My daughter Rosa was the one to tell me about it, and she only owns Apple products.

I am all android, but I know she is Apple EVERYTHING :)

I am now on the phone with her, and she said for sure it's there, and to make sure you are spelling it correctly... ZELLO walkie talkie

PS if nobody is on your village's channel, try this channel:

Huracan Maria Puerto Rico

(good luck)

Edited by ChiCricket
More to say
  • Love 2

Sorry, just got home from picking up my daughter from school. I actually was there an hour early because if I hear business model once again referring to a humanitarian obligation I'm going to throw a cast iron skillet at my TV. I could not find it in the Apple store, Googled it, then asked me if I wanted to open it in the Apple store. Oh well... I downloaded it on my iPad and phone. Now I need to read about how to use it. TY SO MUCH for the info.  

I'm also SICK of the DC assholes minimizing the apocalyptic conditions. The HS guy (Bossert?) said the delivery was done by trucks because it was the requested method. I call BS on that! I know that Juana Diaz is not reachable by land, there is no communication. Why on earth would the request be made to provide by land only?  I'm sure they have heard of air drops. I hope I'm not offending anyone.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, SMama said:

Sorry, just got home from picking up my daughter from school. I actually was there an hour early because if I hear business model once again referring to a humanitarian obligation I'm going to throw a cast iron skillet at my TV. I could not find it in the Apple store, Googled it, then asked me if I wanted to open it in the Apple store. Oh well... I downloaded it on my iPad and phone. Now I need to read about how to use it. TY SO MUCH for the info.  

I'm also SICK of the DC assholes minimizing the apocalyptic conditions. The HS guy (Bossert?) said the delivery was done by trucks because it was the requested method. I call BS on that! I know that Juana Diaz is not reachable by land, there is no communication. Why on earth would the request be made to provide by land only?  I'm sure they have heard of air drops. I hope I'm not offending anyone.

I just heard on the news that a 3 star general was just appointed to oversee the rescue/aid operation. I hope he can kick some butt and get those supplies out there where they're desperately needed. 

Ps please keep in mind that Zello *is* internet based, and there are jerks everywhere on the internet that like to spread rumors (idiots!) Most of the info seems to be given by sincere, honest people though. I haven't even told my husband about someone saying that there are bodies from the destroyed cemetery floating in the river.

1st..because I don't know if it's true, and 2nd, it would just destroy him to think of that happening to any of his family members buried there. (And he can't do anything about it, so why mention it to him, kwim?)

• Love 2

I understand, my grandparents raised me and I consider them my parents. They are buried in Ponce. That area got hit hard and I have thought about the cemetery. However, they are in my heart every moment. My daughter is named after Mami. Still the thought makes me feel nauseous. 

• Love 6
On 9/28/2017 at 8:57 PM, SMama said:

I understand, my grandparents raised me and I consider them my parents. They are buried in Ponce. That area got hit hard and I have thought about the cemetery. However, they are in my heart every moment. My daughter is named after Mami. Still the thought makes me feel nauseous. 

My husband's parents are buried in Ponce, too!  The same cemetery where El Cantante rests. 

Go to usps.com to see the status of post offices. No delivery yet but some package pickup, retail, and PO box pickup.

Also, Radio Isla has a website.

http://status.pr/Home

theres a dashboard telling you what percent of gas stations and pharmacies are open, etc.  you can see what cell towers are working. Click on individual tabs to select municipalities.  Many pharmacies have Western union pickup, but until they get communications back up.  

There is one post office open in Lares. 

No cell service at all in Ponce.  BIL drove from Guayama to Ponce to check on family there.  No signal once he got to Ponce. Most towns on perimeter road have a functioning tower.  Ponce, Yauco, and Guanica appear not to have.  Yauco is cut off.  All roads in and out are damaged. 80% of cash crops were destroyed. Bustelo and Yaucono coffee will be coin of the realm here.

• Love 5

Thank you so much for the info. I called the Juana Diaz police station hoping for a welfare check.  The calls are routed to Hato Rey. So the landlines are down in JD. The dispatcher said mail delivery would resume Wednesday. Since there is no access to JD after the bridge collapsed, they must be delivering what they already had. Even if they get home mail delivery, don’t know what they need other than a sat phone.  Of course it would be nice to know if they are alive. I’m off to check those sites. TY again.

Brian Stelter and Ana Navarro gave sycophant Andre Bauer separate smack downs. If you want a little bit of comic relief look it up, it was great. The comment about “They want everything done for them,” Made my blood boil. They and them are fucking US citizens you ignorant waste of skin. 

ETA: I don’t know if it’s accurate, someone on Zello reported only Claro cell network is working outside metropolitan area. Where are those floating antenas Roselló said US carriers were sending. Also what exactly is a floating antena? I’m giving my fried brain a time out. 

Edited by SMama
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, SMama said:

Brian Stelter and Ana Navarro gave sycophant Andre Bauer separate smack downs. If you want a little bit of comic relief look it up, it was great. The comment about “They want everything done for them,” Made my blood boil. They and them are fucking US citizens you ignorant waste of skin. 

I watched this and I relished the smackdowns. Mr E and I were cheering. Ana Navarro is a Republican and she still handed Andre his ass.  The Nicaraguans are grateful to Puerto Ricans.  Roberto Clemente died in a plane crash bringing them aid. Kindnesses between countries are not soon forgotten. 

I guess since Texas has 38 electoral votes and Florida 29, and Puerto Rico ?? has zero, that seems to give some politicians an excuse to treat them like second class citizens.  It's immoral and unconscionable. These people are American citizens and this morning's tweet from Twitler was a slap in the face and a dagger through the heart.  Puerto Rican blood is good enough to spill in the wars, Vieques is good enough for target practice, but these people aren't good enough to be helped at the same level Texas and Florida were?  Da fuck???

• Love 14

I just want to say thank you to everyone here who is posting helpful information about Puerto Rico. We are trying to figure out if we can get some supplies to my son's friend and his family. The information posted by Arwen, smama and chicricket is very helpful. Thanks again to them and to anyone else who posted that I missed.

Edited by EVS
  • Love 8

@EVS where in PR is the family?

@Arwen Evenstar, OMG how could I forget about Roberto Clemente? I think the damn hurricane hit me yesterday, I've been brain fried since then. So ashamed to be a lightweight. I was very young but it was such a big deal. I remember a salsa song, part of it "Roberto Clemente en un accidente, that is all I remember*."  OMG you brought back memories from so long ago, I was just a kid, being raised by elderly grandparents. Best days of my life, thank you. I wish I could like your post a million times.

I like Ana Navarro, she saw through turd from the beginning. She was firm on writing in her mother on Nov 8, but voted for Hillary because she could not waste her vote, and voted her conscience. Mind you, she is a dye in the wool republican, McCain is her hero. My husband and I call her the Rational Republican, CNN should give her a show, and add David Gergen for good measure. I am social media averse due to my years as a CPS SW, and forensic interviewer. Too many people who would love to get back at me (and I have a young child), especially those who served time. I only had a Facebook account because my daughter's K teacher refused to deal directly with parents, especially about homework (dual immersion Spanish program). I'm bilingual and could hardly make head or tails about the 79 page weekly homework package (not kidding, it was hell).  Have not used it since. I created a twitter account in 2009, only used twice. But with this crisis I was compelled to at least like and comment. I am grateful to Ana from bringing awareness. It's the most stupid, geeky thing to do, but in all responses I #RationalRepublican. No one will notice, but since I am a nobody I can get away with that shout out. I have also commented on turd's tweets, so he will ban me, and the secret service will be at our door soon. Don't care.

I do not know if this is true, my husband's coworker told him today that there are 200,000 veterans  in PR (he is not Puerto Rican, said he's been reading because of us), then said "Who is disrespecting the flag and those who gave their lives now?."

• Love 4

@SMama, Juana Diaz has a Facebook page to connect to. One of my best friends is Puerto Rican and she has family in Juana Diaz as well. She's been distraught and in a constant state of prayer since the storm hit, and she has cancer and lupus and PTSD.

According to statuspr.com , only 2 supermarkets, 2 pharmacies, 8 gas stations and zero banks open in Juana Diaz.  That's not much to serve   50k people. No post offices open either.  It's in the Guanica to Guayama dead zone around the ring road for cell service.  My BIL has to drive as far as Cayey to pick up a signal to call us.  If not for him, we'd know nothing about how our family is doing.

https://www.facebook.com/NoticiasDeJuanaDiaz/

http://www.primerahora.com/tags/juanadiaz-2950/

• Love 1

Many bridges in Juana Diaz have been damaged, and the one connecting to the road to Ponce is in danger of collapsing.  If your family has Facebook, it might help to try to contact them there as well.  It doesn't look likely that they are even able to get out 

• Love 1

Had a funeral.  A family member killed himself leaving behind a wife and a large # of kids. Well educated guy, No history of substance abuse. Obviously just very mentally ill and no one seemed to know. 

I'd love to post more details but the internet is a small world sometimes. 

So weird that no one really saw how bad it was. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

Had a funeral.  A family member killed himself leaving behind a wife and a large # of kids. Well educated guy, No history of substance abuse. Obviously just very mentally ill and no one seemed to know. 

Sorry for your loss Marigold, It' so sad when a person is unable to  realize that those left behind have to deal with the aftermath. He may be at peace, but his family has to go own. Hope his family has lots of support. {{Hugs}}

• Love 3

I'm so sorry Marigold.  My thoughts & prayers are with you & your loved ones. Similar thing happened with my niece's best friend two years ago.  No one had any idea what she was dealing with incl my niece who was one of the last people to see her.  Mental illness is a terrible thing.

• Love 2

Condolences, Marigold. Mental illness is so horrible.

Do we have any members in Vegas? I woke up to that horrible news this morning and it made my own problems seem so small and petty. I hope everyone out there in our little area is okay.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Marigold said:

So sorry for your loss.  A friend lost his son, a 20 year old college student, to suicide earlier this year.  No warning.  My friend is a doctor, his wife is a nurse, their daughter is a psych major and another son has done some mental health volunteer work.  They had no clue, even afterwards; they were unable to find any signs in his life, nothing on his computer, nothing at his apartment.  Was getting good grades, making plans for graduate school, interacting with family and friends as usual.  He left a note, that was all.  His parents will never be the same.

• Love 4

Sorry for your loss @Marigold

My bio mother and her husband are alive! My cousin in Atlanta was able to talk to my cousin in Ponce via land line a few days after the hurricane. Cousin G told her brother my mother (retired NP) and my stepfather visited to make sure my insulin dependent aunt was OK. To everyone here, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. Telling my girl her Abus are OK was amazing. She cried, we cried, and finally got a few hours sleep. Land line no longer working :(

Fajardo was hit bad, it may take them longer to establish mail delivery. 

Edited by SMama
  • Love 18

Great news @SMama!  Happy to hear.

@Marigold - so sorry.  My baby brother, the clinical psychologist, killed himself coming up on 15 years ago.  It is awful to be the family left after something like that.  He told me for years he wasn't going to live to be old.  I kept asking him why he thought that.  Was he going to get sick?  What?  Never occurred to me in a million years he had a plan.  I miss him every day.

• Love 5

Thanks guys.  So very sad. Suicide is just so sad. 

I really have one question but I hate to post any details.        You are all so smart.  :)

He had a 1st attempt and was treated in a psych facility for a few weeks, in patient.  63 hours after discharge, this happens.  Isn't there SOME responsibility on the facility's part? It's just so hard to understand that he just got home and was supposed to be stable and then...

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I really have one question but I hate to post any details.        You are all so smart.  :)

He had a 1st attempt and was treated in a psych facility for a few weeks, in patient.  63 hours after discharge, this happens.  Isn't there SOME responsibility on the facility's part? It's just so hard to understand that he just got home and was supposed to be stable and then...

Alas, it isn't always something that can be predicted.  Even if he seemed to be responding to therapy, it is still possible, especially for someone who is a professional in the field, to fakeimprovement order to be released so he can carry out a plan.  Also, depression waxes and wanes, even on medication and with therapy.  He might've been on an upward swing so they felt it was ok to release him and he spiraled down afterwards.

Since it sounds like he had a fairly long inpatient stay, it doesn't sound like insurance was a problem.  Many people do not realize that their insurance limits inpatient psychiatric hospital stays or can even include a lifetime limit on coverage.  I believe some of this was addressed by the Affordable Care Act; but I am not sure of the particulars.  Years ago, I had a patient whose elderly father became depressed and tried to drown himself in the lake.  He chose the backyard of a cardiologist to do this (he didn't know who lived there) and the cardiologist, a friend of mine and a good, good man; jumped in and pulled him out and called the EMS.  He was admitted to a local psych unit and kept for several days at which time his insurance company denied his admission, claiming he could be managed as an outpatient.  His doctor appealed the decision but it was denied.  He was released and the following morning knelt on the tracks in front of a freight train. 

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 8
37 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Oh Marigold, I'm so sorry.

Without knowing  the specifics it's hard to say, but my best guess is no. I've been here with some friends so I have a little personal knowledge, but no professional knowledge.

First of all there is a shortage of mental health facilities in this country. So most places have to turn over beds eventually, especially if the place is intended for short term care.

Secondly, he probably was in a better place (emotionally) while receiving support services. A lot of people like this don't have consistent moods. So he was feeling good when he came home and something changed. 

Third since he seemed to be in a better place, the clinicians had no choice but to release him for variety of reasons. As stated above, he could be lying with no way for anyone to tell. OR the clinicians thought he was genuinely stable enough to be on his own with outside support and he himself also believed he was strong enough.  Or his insurance said since the problem is being dealt with and you can't tell if he's not okay, then you need to release him 'cause we ain't paying. 

The facility should have made sure he had a counselor, someone to talk to about his issues and helped make a plan for continuing treatment. As long as they did that and did the best they could to ascertain his mental status, the facility won't be liable. I have friends on the psychology side and they would be devastated.

I liked that Dear Abby told a mother that she could tell her kids her relative who comitted suicide died, because he was sick. Later when they were old enough to understand, she could tell them that explain how that sickness was mental illness. It is a sickness and one that is difficult to treat. I have lost one friend and I have too many friends who've lost friends of their own.  So sorry.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Oh Marigold, I'm so sorry.

Without knowing  the specifics it's hard to say, but my best guess is no. I've been here with some friends so I have a little personal knowledge, but no professional knowledge.

First of all there is a shortage of mental health facilities in this country. So most places have to turn over beds eventually, especially if the place is intended for short term care.

Secondly, he probably was in a better place (emotionally) while receiving support services. A lot of people like this don't have consistent moods. So he was feeling good when he came home and something changed. 

Third since he seemed to be in a better place, the clinicians had no choice but to release him for variety of reasons. As stated above, he could be lying with no way for anyone to tell. OR the clinicians thought he was genuinely stable enough to be on his own with outside support and he himself also believed he was strong enough.  Or his insurance said since the problem is being dealt with and you can't tell if he's not okay, then you need to release him 'cause we ain't paying. 

The facility should have made sure he had a counselor, someone to talk to about his issues and helped make a plan for continuing treatment. As long as they did that and did the best they could to ascertain his mental status, the facility won't be liable. I have friends on the psychology side and they would be devastated.

I liked that Dear Abby told a mother that she could tell her kids her relative who comitted suicide died, because he was sick. Later when they were old enough to understand, she could tell them that explain how that sickness was mental illness. It is a sickness and one that is difficult to treat. I have lost one friend and I have too many friends who've lost friends of their own.  So sorry.

All of this.  When my grands who were very young asked how Uncle died, I told them he had a sickness in his head.  It was hard to detect even for his clinical psychology friends who were all devastated that they didn't see it coming.  My brother was smart enough to hide it.  I am still not over it although I don't cry every day anymore.

• Love 6

So sorry to hear it, Marigold...such a terrible situation. Although, not for a second meaning to trivialize it, but at least he didn't snap to the extent of wanting to take as many as he could along with him...The Vegas incident has left me with the ability to think of little else today...

• Love 4

Suicide is the worst. My now ex-husband's father killed himself. This triggered something with my ex. He has really struggled with depression and has really bad episodes.

So far he has always managed to pull himself off the brink, but I'm scared that one day will come and he won't. I think he's taking medication, but still has problems. 

And I know from when we were still married 1) insurance sucks covering medicines for mental illnesses and 2) in-patient care coverage was even worse. 

• Love 3

@SMama, so glad to hear you got to hear the voices of your loved one.  My SIL in Ponce borrowed a land line phone from a neighbor, who also happened to be related by marriage to one of our nephews in PR, and was able to speak to sister here for a few crackled line minutes, and was tearfully grateful.  Says Ponce is absolutely devastated. 

Prayers and love to the suffering of all those in Vegas whose only crime was enjoying a nice concert, to lose their lives or ending up maimed and disfigured for life. 

@Marigold, so sorry to learn of your loss.  Suicide has devastated the lives of the families of two men I have been in significant relationships.  Both lost a brother to suicide either before I met them or years after relationship ended. In 2014, I got off the phone to one of my dearest friends that a dear friend and colleague of hers and a judge,  took his own life. When I got off the phone, I got a text from another dear friend telling me a dear friend of his had taken his life.  It's epidemic and it seems mental illness and the stigma it still carries prevents people from getting the help they need before it's too late.

Irish singer Sinėad O'Connor had started a campaign called "One of Miilions" to bring awareness to mental illness and her own very painful and public battle with it. She recently went on Dr. Phil to discuss how she and her siblings were abused and forced to live in the garden shed, and not allowed to bathe, and be beaten within an inch of their lives on a daily basis.  It's on YouTube and one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever watched in my life.  Hankies are required. 

• Love 5

@Marigold, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. :(

On a better note, my SIL who lives in Aguadilla was able to finally get to Bo Pilates in Lares, and checked on all of my husband's family. They're all helping one another out. We were especially worried about his very elderly Tia (Aunt) Llinga (I'm sure I misspelled her name.)

No other help yet besides family has come into the very (VERY) rural place where she lives.

Her little wooden house is all destoyed now, which breaks my heart.  I got to know and love my husband's family visiting them in their little wooden houses.

But at least she weathered the storm with family in a daughter's concrete house and is OK (and is already planning on her kids building her another little wooden house...none of that fancy concrete for her..she is old school) :)

Lares is just the village closest to them....they don't actually have a town.

We were very happy, however, to hear that his family who are buried in the Lares cemetery are all safe and sound..turned out to be a rumor about caskets floating in the river....

Thank Goodness!!!

• Love 12

Thanks friends.

I kinda knew the hospital wasn't responsible but 63 hours?  Wow.  Just seems hard to believe.  Something went wrong with his assessments, medication, insurance or who knows what.  Of course, being so well educated and intelligent, I'm sure he knew exactly what to say to get out.  His poor wife is overwhelmed but i'd sure love to rip his records apart looking at WTF happened. 

My sympathy to all of you who have had to deal with the trauma of suicide.  It is a very different kind of death to process. 

• Love 5

Psychiatry really does have quite limited methods to evaluate a patient. I think unless a patient is psychotic, it’s quite easy for a patient to say the right things if they want. 

I don’t want to be too political, but I’ve contemplated suicide a fair amount, but I live in Australia and I can’t get a gun. I’m a wuss, so gun control is probably why I’m still here to lecture you.

• Love 15

Great news @ChiCricket, so happy for you. Sorry about the aunt’s wooden house, I lived in one until I was 18. Not a fan but I get the old school mentality.  45 is on his way to the island, I hope he realizes the magnitude of the devastation. Laziness is not the problem, lack of prompt response is the issue. San Juan is all we see, but there are 77 other municipalities. The isolated areas have not received any help yet. And now this mess in Las Vegas. The world needs a break from heartache. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

Psychiatry really does have quite limited methods to evaluate a patient. I think unless a patient is psychotic, it’s quite easy for a patient to say the right things if they want. 

I don’t want to be too political, but I’ve contemplated suicide a fair amount, but I live in Australia and I can’t get a gun. I’m a wuss, so gun control is probably why I’m still here to lecture you.

I've lived with depression for many years and a long time ago thought of suicide.  I live in the US where guns are all too easy to get, but didn't want to make a mess for someone else.  A friend of mine's husband's brother shot himself in the head in his parents' home.  My friend and her husband had the horrible task of cleaning the bedroom so her mother and father in law wouldn't see it.  She still gets emotional more than 30 years later.  Nowadays, I believe there are people you can hire for that, but not back then.  The other thing that kept me going was the dog I owned at the time.  She was a basset hound and very eccentric; I was afraid no one in my family would want to keep her (I kid you not, that was my thought process).  I could have easily done it to myself but never could have hurt her; so here I am today having lived to tell the tale.

• Love 15
17 hours ago, Marigold said:

I'm very sorry for your loss. I recently read about a study that the first 30 days AFTER someone has started treatment for mental illness is when they are at most risk for suicide. I wish I could remember more of the specifics. Something like they have started treatment, but it hasn't kicked in yet, so they feel even more hopeless.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I'm very sorry for your loss. I recently read about a study that the first 30 days AFTER someone has started treatment for mental illness is when they are at most risk for suicide. I wish I could remember more of the specifics. Something like they have started treatment, but it hasn't kicked in yet, so they feel even more hopeless.

Exactly, the antidepressants often will increase the energy level before the depression starts to lift and that's when the depressed person is most vulnerable.  Sometimes, someone is so depressed that they have no energy and are so inert that making the effort to plan and carry out a suicide attempt is just too much to contemplate.  Then, they start antidepressants and, after a couple weeks, their energy level is higher even if they are still depressed, it takes longer for the depression to dissipate.  At that point, someone who didn't have the energy to attempt may now be able to carry it out.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

I've lied to my doctor on several occasions over the years about my state of mind. I do NOT lie about the efficacy of my meds. I'm bipolar with a propensity for depression, but when the mania strikes, watch out. Thankfully, I have never been suicidal. My sympathy extends to all who have had to endure that pain. ❤️

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Another reason this might be true is sometimes the hospital becomes a retreat from the outside and the outside stresses. So the people get better since they're not dealing with the stress of their lives and they come home and have to face all their problems. 

• Love 4

To all of our posters who are battling depression and have even contemplated suicide, don't ever forget that we here in this little forum are all glad you're still here.

Depression is a horrid bitch and the fact that you've battled this far shows just how strong you really are.

Edited by emma675d
I can't type today, ugh
  • Love 24
8 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Exactly, the antidepressants often will increase the energy level before the depression starts to lift and that's when the depressed person is most vulnerable.  Sometimes, someone is so depressed that they have no energy and are so inert that making the effort to plan and carry out a suicide attempt is just too much to contemplate.  Then, they start antidepressants and, after a couple weeks, their energy level is higher even if they are still depressed, it takes longer for the depression to dissipate.  At that point, someone who didn't have the energy to attempt may now be able to carry it out.

I didn't realize that. I wonder if his wife knew that or anyone told her that.  

That is crazy freaky accurate. Like I said, I don't want to post details but I can't help it... He jumped off of a bridge after a miles and miles of walking in a rough neighborhood to get to the bridge. 

(If anyone happens to recognize this person and situation in real life, his children don't know details so please keep that to yourself)

• Love 3

Was blessed to hear my Ponce in laws got their power back on and mail delivery in their little neck of the woods.  Canned food is tough to buy in Ponce, so smaller towns are doubtless having a harder time.  One post office in Lares in open.

USPS has at least one office open in almost every town.  I called them to ask about mail to PR, and I was told that it would be routed to nearest operating post office and could be picked up there.  Notices of where to pick up are posted inside the post office windows. Flat rate shipping is the way to go for best value.  Pack a manual can opener in case their other one can't be found or is electric. 

Land lines are best bet for making contact. Cell phones along the ring road are spotty

• Love 11

I was born in Ponce and still have relatives there. So good that you know your in laws are OK. What a terribly agonizing time for those of us on the mainland. Wish my mother had a land line in Juana Diaz. Thanks for the info.

• Love 7
On 10/2/2017 at 6:05 AM, Marigold said:

That is so horribly sad. You must be in shock. I am so sorry!!

On 10/3/2017 at 2:59 AM, Kokapetl said:

{{{{hugs!!!}}}} I am glad you are here!!

• Love 7
On 10/3/2017 at 2:59 AM, Kokapetl said:

@Kokapetl, I am so glad you are here. Sending love and care across the oceans to you. And full frontal hugs!

• Love 6

I will be off the internet for a few days. Best of wishes to you all! I will be thinking about those of you with Puerto Rican family members. Anyway, every time I'm off the internet the Duggars seem to make some sort of news/announcement, etc. So I look forward to finding out what (if anything) happened while I'm off-line. 

• Love 4

hi all. its been a long week of mostly news-watching amidst the regular chores. this shooting thing has had a HUGE effect on my area in general -- over half the dead were cali residents. many were from my local area.  in fact, my sisters chose this year to not attend that particular concert - they are regulars.  that is a fact that i am grateful for. its all so sad and rather overwhelming to understand.  (i will never understand but i am more talking about just hearing the facts).  hope all are well here.  

• Love 9