Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Oh Frenchtoast, I can totally relate to your "missing the last step" fiasco.  Consider yourself lucky with a sprain tho I've heard sprains can be worse than fractures.  A few years back,  I missed the last step & fell hard on our tile floor, breaking my leg.  I fell so hard that I put a good size hole in the wall at the bottom of the steps with my shoulder.  Hope you make out OK with the crutches & the show.  (I had to use a wheelchair & walker cuz I couldn't manage the crutches with my arthritis & was non-weight bearing for weeks)  Try to laugh thru all your adventures, I found it makes things go a little easier.  

Jynnan Tonnix - Wow what a haul!  You put the fake Duggar garden to shame. I'll take some of those peppers - I love stuffed peppers. 

New Digs & others who need it - Sending good vibes your way, too.  It does seem like our group needs more than usual right now. 

• Love 1

Jynnan, dang! That's a haul! My garden totally crapped out this year, I think the heat was too much. Even my indestructible rosemary died.

Frenchtoast and New Digs, I hope y'all are feeling better. Take it easy and try to rest!

I'm officially a short timer at my current job. Everyone has been so nice about my leaving (I've already cried twice) and wishing me well. I totally would have been happy staying here if not for the CMO and the lack of promotion opportunities. 

• Love 7
On September 26, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Muffyn said:

However, unlike Europe, it is rare for US companies to consider the days around Easter Sunday as holidays.  I was once scheduling a business trip to Germany around Easter week.  One of my German colleagues told me to change the dates because so few people would be available and they had multiple days off during that period.  They take off from Maundy Thursday through Easter Monday.

Sometimes Europe/Scandinavia seems so much more, dare I say, civilized.

Actual holidays. Real vacations (August). Real parental leave. Real time off for health concerns. Wonder if employers there guilt employees about stuff like that. I know they do here. Sometimes I think it would be worth hauling my major appliances from place to place for those luxuries. But could be a grass is always greener thing. 

Then I look at how hard people here need to work just to, hopefully, make ends meet and I'm sad. And wonder, What the heck happened? 

Verklempt.

• Love 6
On 9/27/2016 at 4:33 PM, frenchtoast said:

I'm supposed to see Wicked this weekend, that should be an adventure. 

I'm ushering at Wicked this weekend.  I'll be in second dress on Saturday, matinee and evening performances.

• Love 2

Okay, so I have this weird thing I've been wanting to talk about because it just strikes me as so hilarious.  You know the car commercial where Matthew McConnaughey is standing on the edge of a swimming pool, and he does this enormous windup only to jump about three inches off the tile before falling into the pool?  Does anyone else think it's funny how he puts all that effort into that leap, but barely gets his feet off the ground?  It looks so pitiful.  I laugh and laugh every time I see it.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, magpye29 said:

Okay, so I have this weird thing I've been wanting to talk about because it just strikes me as so hilarious.  You know the car commercial where Matthew McConnaughey is standing on the edge of a swimming pool, and he does this enormous windup only to jump about three inches off the tile before falling into the pool?  Does anyone else think it's funny how he puts all that effort into that leap, but barely gets his feet off the ground?  It looks so pitiful.  I laugh and laugh every time I see it.

He is one of those men I think "No Thank You" to, even if he were the last man on earth.  I think he thinks he is "all that" and more.  I don't.  So yes, it is hilarious.  And so are the SNL fake commercials that make fun of his car one.

• Love 7
On 9/27/2016 at 7:47 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

14484982_10154450085892778_5522471255834

I would totally hurt people for those tomatoes! We planted 45 tomato plants this year and I have been making an average of 4-5 quarts of sauce a week and freezing it. We are nearing the end of the harvest (Cleveland, OH) and I am seriously considering hitting up the farmer's markets to buy more tomatoes to extend the "sauce-making season." Homemade sauce is simply the best. Um, where are you, Jyn??? :) I would pay you big time for those tomatoes!

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

I would totally hurt people for those tomatoes! We planted 45 tomato plants this year and I have been making an average of 4-5 quarts of sauce a week and freezing it. We are nearing the end of the harvest (Cleveland, OH) and I am seriously considering hitting up the farmer's markets to buy more tomatoes to extend the "sauce-making season." Homemade sauce is simply the best. Um, where are you, Jyn??? :) I would pay you big time for those tomatoes!

I'm in Connecticut, so not much help, LOL! Anyway, those tomatoes are all cooked and frozen now...The harvest is almost done here as well, though there are still some tomatoes out there which I'm honestly not sure what I will do with as my freezers are busting at the seams! Although I do love homemade sauce, I'm at the point that I don't care if I ever see another tomato right about now! We had about 45 plants of the San Marzanos, plus a couple of dozen other various types, and I ended up putting the bulk of the regular "eating" tomatoes (as well as a bunch of other things) out at the end of the driveway to give away. There was no way in the world to keep up with them...I've never seen such a harvest! The plants were all literally taller than I am, so bushy that you couldn't push your way between them, and absolutely loaded with fruit! I know we lost a LOT of it just not even being able to reach inside the tomato jungle!

Here's what they looked like back in July before they even started ripening...Bear in mind that the sunflowers were all over 12' tall!

13782017_10154254955077778_5279143901318

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Would you share your sauce recipe? I'd love to try home-made, but don't have a clue how to make it.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

Would you share your sauce recipe? I'd love to try home-made, but don't have a clue how to make it.

Certainly. I have no measurements, I just go by look and smell and taste. I quarter the tomatoes, roast them and put them through a food mill to get rid of the seeds and skin. I dice an onion and a ton of garlic and brown in olive oil. Add the fresh tomato, 1 can of San Marzano crushed tomatoes, 1 can of tomato paste, red wine, some sugar (to cut the acid of the tomatoes), oregano, basil, ground black pepper and a little sea salt. Let it simmer for 3-4 hours, stirring about every 15 minutes or so. Towards the end I add some chopped fresh basil. Your house will smell amazing. Then I let it cool and put in quart ziplock freezer bags (so they lay flat in the freezer). Mmmmmm.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Certainly. I have no measurements, I just go by look and smell and taste. I quarter the tomatoes, roast them and put them through a food mill to get rid of the seeds and skin. I dice an onion and a ton of garlic and brown in olive oil. Add the fresh tomato, 1 can of San Marzano crushed tomatoes, 1 can of tomato paste, red wine, some sugar (to cut the acid of the tomatoes), oregano, basil, ground black pepper and a little sea salt. Let it simmer for 3-4 hours, stirring about every 15 minutes or so. Towards the end I add some chopped fresh basil. Your house will smell amazing. Then I let it cool and put in quart ziplock freezer bags (so they lay flat in the freezer). Mmmmmm.

There are variations as well....I generally also throw some sliced mushrooms, chopped bell peppers, and diced kalamata olives into mine. Also some fennel seeds. I've also found that a good dash of five-spice powder cuts the acidity without adding sugar. If I'm making a meat sauce I like t use a combination of Italian sausage and ground lamb. Put about half the meat into the sauce after the veggies are browned but before the tomatoes, then use the rest to make meatballs.

It's all just a matter of personal preference, though...Once you start making it you will find out how you like it best. It's very forgiving that way. Hard to really make a bad batch :)

If you don't have the time to baby it for half the day while it cooks you can use a slow-cooker and leave on low for 10 hours or whatever, just crack open the lid a bit so some of it can evaporate. It does need to thicken up.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, magpye29 said:

I'm ushering at Wicked this weekend.  I'll be in second dress on Saturday, matinee and evening performances.

I think we're either Loge or First Dress, but I'll be hard to miss limping about.

On 9/28/2016 at 10:01 AM, Barb23 said:

Oh Frenchtoast, I can totally relate to your "missing the last step" fiasco.  Consider yourself lucky with a sprain tho I've heard sprains can be worse than fractures.  A few years back,  I missed the last step & fell hard on our tile floor, breaking my leg.  I fell so hard that I put a good size hole in the wall at the bottom of the steps with my shoulder.  Hope you make out OK with the crutches & the show.  (I had to use a wheelchair & walker cuz I couldn't manage the crutches with my arthritis & was non-weight bearing for weeks)  Try to laugh thru all your adventures, I found it makes things go a little easier.  

Jynnan Tonnix - Wow what a haul!  You put the fake Duggar garden to shame. I'll take some of those peppers - I love stuffed peppers. 

New Digs & others who need it - Sending good vibes your way, too.  It does seem like our group needs more than usual right now. 

HOLY COW!!! It's amazing what the body can tolerate and then just twist the wrong way and *snap* a bone is broken. 

That's an amazing haul @Jynnan tonnix! I have no skill or patience gardening. But I'm always a grateful recipient and farmer's market shopper :)

• Love 1

To all the farmers out there - do any of you make homemade salsa from your tomatoes & other veggies?  One of our favorite patients in the doctors office where I worked would bring in jars & jars of homemade salsa during the summer. She even had Mild & Hot versions.  Delicious!!  Making my mouth water now just thinking about it. Once again, making  homemade salsa could be a venture for the Duggar kidadults.  Nothing huge, just make some batches that could be sold at a farmer's market. 

Regarding my missing the last step & breaking my leg -  because of my rheumatoid arthritis & other things, my bones & joints are different (weaker) than the average person but I did go down hard on the tile floor. What makes me mad was that I'm always so careful going down the steps, holding onto railing, taking one step at a time, etc.  I just thought I was at the bottom when there was one last step to go. I had a neighbor do a bad number on her ankle just by stepping down the wrong way on the step to the garage. So you just never know.  Too bad mine happened during the summer.  I wanted to tell people that I broke my leg by doing something exotic like skiing in the Alps & not missing a step.  

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Regarding my missing the last step & breaking my leg -  because of my rheumatoid arthritis & other things, my bones & joints are different (weaker) than the average person but I did go down hard on the tile floor. What makes me mad was that I'm always so careful going down the steps, holding onto railing, taking one step at a time, etc.  I just thought I was at the bottom when there was one last step to go. I had a neighbor do a bad number on her ankle just by stepping down the wrong way on the step to the garage. So you just never know.  Too bad mine happened during the summer.  I wanted to tell people that I broke my leg by doing something exotic like skiing in the Alps & not missing a step.  

A couple of years ago my husband broke his ankle bringing in firewood from outside...all he did was step crooked on something because he couldn't see where he was going with his arms full...It was a bad break that needed surgery and pins...He also liked to come up with much better stories of how he had broken it. Because, really, almost anything makes a better story than that!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

There are variations as well....I generally also throw some sliced mushrooms, chopped bell peppers, and diced kalamata olives into mine. Also some fennel seeds. I've also found that a good dash of five-spice powder cuts the acidity without adding sugar. If I'm making a meat sauce I like t use a combination of Italian sausage and ground lamb. Put about half the meat into the sauce after the veggies are browned but before the tomatoes, then use the rest to make meatballs.

It's all just a matter of personal preference, though...Once you start making it you will find out how you like it best. It's very forgiving that way. Hard to really make a bad batch :)

If you don't have the time to baby it for half the day while it cooks you can use a slow-cooker and leave on low for 10 hours or whatever, just crack open the lid a bit so some of it can evaporate. It does need to thicken up.

What she said ^^^ you just have to play around until you find a way you are comfortable with. If you ask 100 people, you will get 100 different recipes. It took me years to tinker with my recipe until I got one that is perfect for us!

• Love 2

Oy vey...I feel so wimpy compared to these major bones.  I've never broken anything until two weeks ago, slammed my foot against the wall.  Rhaego our little boy kitten has a bad habit of rubbing on legs while one is walking.  I appreciate the affection believe me, but not while walking.  I stumbled and rather than hurting him I went into wall.  The little piggy toe has a lovely fracture, taped up for a week and when I'm out walking about I have a lovely shoe contraption.  Hurts like hell though.  

Jynnan, you certainly have the touch.  I  wish I was one of the cars going by your house waiting for the daily veg to be put out!      

• Love 4

Wow, Jynnan! My mouth was watering at the very sight of your haul!

Hugs and much love to all who are dealing with injuries and procedures and any other trials you all may be dealing with.

Nearly two months out from the EVLT, I've got more feeling back in my upper thigh area.  I find my knee high compression hose somewhat helpful to support my candles, but feel better with a full leg stocking. I call my thigh highs my Supergirl tights because my leg just plain feels better when I have them on and I feel like I can take on the world!!! Leg does not take kindly to my standing in one place for too long, stocking or no stocking.

We're going to a concert tomorrow night, so I'll have the hose on. Lots of trudging about at the Toyota Center, but at least not the Woodlands which is a much longer hike and an outdoor venue. Def Leppard had me on my feet, but this concert Manà, which is a popular Mexican rock band, will be a bit more mellow. My Spanish isn't so good, but I understand enough of the lyrics. 

Finally cooler weather has come to Houston.  It's a treat to have some relief from the oppressive heat and humidity that has made me miserable for months on end. I went outside for a walk around my residence and it felt amazing to be outside. I still feel I need my hose for endurance walking though. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

Glad you are on the mend, ARWEN EVENSTAR, but hope you don't have to do too much standing or walking. Enjoy your concert!

Actually, the more I move about the better. I've morphed into a heffalump due to being in pain with my legs, and the only way the scale is going to budge is if I start moving about. Walking isn't as much of a bother as standing or sitting. It actually feels pretty good to be able to walk about without feeling crappy.

• Love 2

My Italian xMIL tossed in sweet grapes instead of sugar to cut the acidity of fresh tomatoes. It seemed to work. Her other tips were as mentioned adding canned tomato sauce (paste for pizza sauce) so not all fresh and don't over cook the fresh basil because it gets bitter.

Thank you for those beautiful photos from your garden. I've never seen such perfect home garden produce and my family has had gardens for years. My uncle does grow prefect asparagus though. I think it benefits from the horse manure his neighbors toss over the fence that he rakes into the soil...

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Micks Picks said:

I've been wanting to ask for a long time what a EVLT is.  I thought it would become clear what it is in following comments but it never has.  So I am curious.

Endovenous Laser Therapy. It's a doctor's office procedure performed by a vascular surgeon who uses a laser to close an incompetent leg vein. It's less invasive and works better than vein stripping. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

My uncle does grow prefect asparagus though. I think it benefits from the horse manure his neighbors toss over the fence that he rakes into the soil...

I love roasted asparagus, but it's gotten so expensive at the grocery store. The last time I checked one bunch was like 5.99. My mom is a talented gardner, but I can't grow jack. I bought one of those hanging strawberry plants from Home Depot and the thing was dead in a week.

• Love 1
On September 30, 2016 at 2:44 PM, CherryMalotte said:

I stumbled and rather than hurting him I went into wall.  The little piggy toe has a lovely fracture, taped up for a week and when I'm out walking about I have a lovely shoe contraption.  Hurts like hell though.  

Broken toe! So much pain for such a little piece of the body. A few years back as I recuped from a clavicle splinter and three broken ribs I managed to slam my toe into a piece of furniture. Felt like a shot from my toe to the tip of my head. Ortho. took an x-ray and there was a tiny break but the PAIN! It worse than all my other breaks combined. I couldn't even have a bedsheet resting on it. I feel your pain! Maybe I'll start blaming the cat, he can get underfoot. lol Hope you feel better soon!

Wow to all the breaks! Be well! 

On September 29, 2016 at 8:18 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm in Connecticut, so not much help, LOL! Anyway, those tomatoes are all cooked and frozen now...The harvest is almost done here as well, though there are still some tomatoes out there which I'm honestly not sure what I will do with as my freezers are busting at the seams! Although I do love homemade sauce, I'm at the point that I don't care if I ever see another tomato right about now! We had about 45 plants of the San Marzanos, plus a couple of dozen other various types, and I ended up putting the bulk of the regular "eating" tomatoes (as well as a bunch of other things) out at the end of the driveway to give away. There was no way in the world to keep up with them...I've never seen such a harvest! The plants were all literally taller than I am, so bushy that you couldn't push your way between them, and absolutely loaded with fruit! I know we lost a LOT of it just not even being able to reach inside the tomato jungle!

This reminds of a Garrison Keillor tale. He mentions how easy it is to have a tomato harvest get out of hand and said that's the time of year when you hear a knock on the door and no one's there. But when you look down there's a big bag of tomatoes on your steps. 

• Love 2
On 9/30/2016 at 9:42 PM, Almost 3000 said:

My Italian xMIL tossed in sweet grapes instead of sugar to cut the acidity of fresh tomatoes. It seemed to work. Her other tips were as mentioned adding canned tomato sauce (paste for pizza sauce) so not all fresh and don't over cook the fresh basil because it gets bitter.

Thank you for those beautiful photos from your garden. I've never seen such perfect home garden produce and my family has had gardens for years. My uncle does grow prefect asparagus though. I think it benefits from the horse manure his neighbors toss over the fence that he rakes into the soil...

Most southern Italians and definitely sicilians NEVER add sugar. Ever. Red wine sweetens and helps the tomatoes 'melt'. Also breaks down the beef, pork, and bones in meat sauce (bones are removed before service but marrow = flavor).  A little bit of grape juice works if you don't consume alcohol. 

I can give 10000 recipes for sauce, but would love to see some salsa recipes. 

• Love 2

@magpye29 I don't think I caught a glimpse of you but boy howdy was it crazy full, which included the traffic. We squeaked in there, with just a few minutes to spare mostly because we were stuck in traffic trying to get to parking. Even so, holy cow was that an amazing cast! An absolutely terrific, thrilling and fantastic show. Loved it!! Sadly, my poor daughter came home from school on Friday with the warning signs of a cold, so it was full on cold for her yesterday. She still enjoyed the heck out of it, but she would have had an even better time had she been feeling better. We had such a great time, it's a great show.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

I don't think I caught a glimpse of you but boy howdy was it crazy full,

I was at the second level bathroom during intermission, pointing out the back of the line to everyone and assuring the ones who gave me incredulous stares that the line would go quickly.  There are over 80 stalls, so people who go to the bathroom first usually make it in and out really quickly.  The bar lines were crazy long and slow, though.  We were sold out again, so the theatre is very happy.  I'm looking forward to Thursday night when I'll actually be able to sit and watch the whole thing after the seating holds.  I did think about looking for you, but I thought if I went around calling for frenchtoast, people might think I was selling something!  

They're going to have Family Night for The King & I on Wednesday the 2nd of November--a free child's ticket with every adult ticket purchased.  I don't think it applies to all the sections, but they didn't know too many details when they told us about it, so I don't know ages, etc.  

I'm so glad you liked the show, though--I thought the voices were really good, and the staging was really nice, too.

• Love 1
On 10/1/2016 at 4:18 PM, NewDigs said:

said that's the time of year when you hear a knock on the door and no one's there. But when you look down there's a big bag of tomatoes on your steps. 

In my neighborhood, it was bluefish.  My dad was out of work, so he went fishing a lot, and he caught so many blues that after a while, the neighbors were like, "Please no more!"  My mother used to cook them Portuguese style with tomatoes and peppers and onions.  I ate so much bluefish as a kid that now I only eat white fish: cod, haddock, halibut, and the like.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, magpye29 said:

I was at the second level bathroom during intermission, pointing out the back of the line to everyone and assuring the ones who gave me incredulous stares that the line would go quickly.  There are over 80 stalls, so people who go to the bathroom first usually make it in and out really quickly.  The bar lines were crazy long and slow, though.  We were sold out again, so the theatre is very happy.  I'm looking forward to Thursday night when I'll actually be able to sit and watch the whole thing after the seating holds.  I did think about looking for you, but I thought if I went around calling for frenchtoast, people might think I was selling something!  

They're going to have Family Night for The King & I on Wednesday the 2nd of November--a free child's ticket with every adult ticket purchased.  I don't think it applies to all the sections, but they didn't know too many details when they told us about it, so I don't know ages, etc.  

I'm so glad you liked the show, though--I thought the voices were really good, and the staging was really nice, too.

Oh yes, that bathroom is huge! A friend of mine always gets tickets in ochestra, but goes to the bathroom upstairs. Hee. I stayed put, though. I rarely go during intermission mostly because I don't have to. But it just seems to go on and on. It's a beautiful theatre, I love it. I find it funny when people say that it's so expensive to park at the garage across the street. $15? HAHAHA. I grew up outside NYC, I've parked in Boston. That's nuthin'. We'll gladly pay that.

And yes, we got our tickets for the Family Night of The King and I, two adults and two kids for free. First Dress LC. We were in Loge Right for Wicked. Our friends loooved it!! I am so looking forward to the King and I. And as soon as we get the email that Lion King is available, we're swooping in!! 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

it's so expensive to park at the garage across the street. $15

There's a lot behind the theatre where the ushers usually park.  I think it's $8 or $10.  We can park there for free on weekends, but not on weeknights.  If I'm running late, I'll park there so I don't have to troll for a spot.

They're going to have a family night during Matilda, too.

Wow, an 80 stall bathroom - be still my heart !  I'll use one of my favorite lines here - "A lady must have designed that."  My son, an architect, can't get over that number.  Usually the size of the bathroom is one of the first things they cut back on when they need room for something else so someone must have held their ground on this one.  For ladies & moms with kids that have to go NOW,  it's about time. 

• Love 1

It finally happened. I got a pair of prescription eyeglasses for reading/watching television/computer work/driving etc. etc., a new pair of lovely bifocal lenses prescription glasses for reading and computer work, and one pair of prescription sunglasses for outdoor and driving. I am not too crazy about the new glasses since I cannot see far distances. Good ole Medicaid would not pay for the progressive lenses I have been getting for years. My eyes are not happy campers right now. I wish I would have waited to get the money to get new prescription glasses with the progressive lenses. Three pair of glasses. Seriously... I do not blame my eye doctor because she has to follow Medicaid guidelines. I will need to make sure I have my regular prescription glasses with me when I go out because I obviously need to see far distances especially when I am driving in conditions I do not need my sunglasses on. UGH!!!

My prescription sunglasses are two years old, and I got my regular prescription glasses last December. I know the eye damage and light sensitivity did a number on my eyes, but three pair of glasses. Wowser!!! I can see okay while I am on the computer and reading up close with the bifocals on, but I miss looking at a distance and seeing things well. I know I should not complain because I still can see with glasses, but it is frustrating after almost four years of this crap.  

So sorry, bigskygirl, bureaucracy sometimes makes no sense. So sorry you need to carry around all the extra pairs. I seem to need reading glasses upstairs, downstairs, in the car, and in the travel bag. Otherwise, wherever I am, the glasses aren't. Hope your eyes get used to the new prescriptions and swapping lenses, soon.

• Love 1

Big sky I just took my first cab to the eye dr today.  My eyes are not better.  I'll be able to drive until my license expires, and I'll never pass another eye txt for them.  It's the central vision for reading anything that can't be cured or corrected.  Doc said look for devices so I can read my mail but I hate the huge devices, and I don't know what they have for computers to make things clear.  I type by touch, find it very hard to read, no matter how big I make the type.  Doc said there is a doctor who can sometimes get vision with a pair of glasses for reading mail, seeing cell phone better etc and to be used only for that.  Says they are big, ugly, and I'll hate them as much as the huge unit they have in the office.  But the unit in the office requires being on a table and sitting on a chair to do reading and I have collapsing disks in my back so can't stand to sit on a chair for any length of time.  I mean it hurts like hell.    Here is the  odd thing, on the first visit to the doc who makes ugly glasses I might be able to take a cab but need somebody there because it's a hue facility and I can't see the signs directing you.  I could even drive but they dilate the eyes so can't drive home.  But it is odd that I can see to drive so long as I know where I am and don't have to look for street signs.  Not a problem.  Anything else, forget it.  Doctor agrees but you can't argue with the DMV so when my license expires, I'm done.  Might as well die then.  I do nothing but drive from one little place to another for errands, and a cab would be ridiculous for that.

@Micks Picks I am so sorry to hear about your vision. {{{HUGS}}} I am lucky I can wear glasses to be able to see because without them I probably would be considered legally blind. I am angry at the nitwit out of town quack who did not warn me the one treatment could cause eye damage and light sensitivity. I understand the part about the one unit and being able to sit on a chair for long periods of time because I have back and neck issues also. In August, the eye doctor dilated my eyes, but I was able to drive myself home with my prescription sunglasses on. In the dark, I cannot see too well with my regular glasses on because of the glare from headlights and the lettering/numbers on traffic signs and traffic lights colors become blurry and the letters, numbers, and colors stretch out when I look at them. Luckily the few times I did drive in the dark I was taking routes I had driven many times before. I am glad my eye doctor and I did not fight Medicaid for new prescription sunglasses because they need to have the same progressive lenses I have in my regular glasses for me to see well, and I bet dollars to donuts they probably would have not went along with it. I probably would have gotten new ones that would made it impossible to see long distances or drive with.

Once again, {{HUGS}}} @Micks Picks You are an amazing and tough lady.

Micks Picks, that stinks. Does your city maybe have shuttle services for when you can't drive. I have a neighbor who can't drive anymore and she uses a special shuttle service (though it's almost always a cab or van paid for by the city) to drive her to run errands and appointments. She's got a standing appointment every week with them so she can get her shopping done and she can call and make appointments to be picked up for other things. I live in a city with no real train or rail system, though. I mean, we've got light rail, but it's crap.

Does anyone here have a curved tv? There's an awesome deal on a Samsung one on Amazon right now and I was wondering if curved was somehow better than flat screen. 

• Love 1

MICKS PICKS, YOU MIGHT BE ELIGIBLE FOR "DIAL A RIDE" IF IT IS AVAILABLE IN YOUR COMMUNITY ONCE YOU LOSE YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE. AND UBER/LYFT MAY BE POSSIBILITIES, TOO. HUGS TO YOU. WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH IS NOT FUN! SO SORRY!

• Love 2

@emma675, I have a curved tv, a Samsung in fact. I haven't noticed that it's all that better than a flat picture wise. It's in our living room and if you stand in a certain part there's a weird sound effect when you talk but it's not anything that would be a deal breaker. The couches are set up facing each other and not the TV, so sitting at the end of the couch having the curve does make it somewhat easier to see. But...you have to turn your head to such a degree, it doesn't matter that much. 

• Love 1