Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

It's a seasoning mix, that according to Wikipedia, is made up of these ingredients:  mustard, paprika, celery salt, bay leaf, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, mace, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom, and ginger

• Love 2

When I lived along the Virginia coast, everyone put it on crabmeat.

We put it in our clambake steamer every year to additionally-flavor the broth, and in homemade clam chowder and lobster bisque. Yum and yum.

• Love 1

It's a seasoning mix, that according to Wikipedia, is made up of these ingredients:  mustard, paprika, celery salt, bay leaf, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, mace, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom, and ginger

you are very kind, thank you.

Old Bay Seasoning is crack.

Jelly, I've been selfishly avoiding your posts because every time I read your heartbreaking story, I went to this very dark and scary place. Before I was a parent, I knew children did pass occasionally and I knew it had to be terrible... but I didn't get it. I get it now. I am so sorry for your loss. It doesn't matter when it was. Your love for your daughter is obvious and im sorry I was too caught up in my own pain to reach out. Please forgive me?

Im exhausted. But, I've never been happier about being exhausted. Maisie has had some scary moments with O2 levels. We mentioned our altitude numerous times during our NICU time and no one really thought it would make a big difference. Boy. We're we all dumb. Luckily, we have a friend who operates as a flight medic in high altitude rescue and he came over to check out our gear for Maisie. He said it wasn't the concentrations that were wrong- it was the pressure differential between the tanks and our altitude, coupled with the size tubing we were given. I'm beginning to really love our resources. She only had one more rough night after the adjustment and that was because we lost power during a thunderstorm. We had a generator but it had to be primed first. It's always something.

She's sleeping great. Eating great. She even went down the Valley for dinner with daddy's boss.

Our first therapist was really overwhelmed. I don't think we were a good fit. She we bailed on day three. A family friend got us a grad student from a university who can stay with us for six weeks and she is a wonderful person. She had a deaf parent and has a speech pathology masters in the works. We're doing a lot of tactile stimulation and tongue positioning with different objects to help build her mouth muscles. It's going to be a long road.

We're in.

• Love 23

Oh wanderwoman, no need to ask for forgiveness. Put that away. Everyone fears losing their children. Once you have a child, your heart is forever outside your body. My son is 33 years old and There is no reason for me to worry about him but I do. I follow him around on social media and if I can't track him down, he gets a text from this momma hen inquiring about something innocous so I know he's ok. And he is a grown man! I see him regularly but still.

yes, our altitudes make a difference. Even more so, adjustments to equipment make a lot of difference! So happy that helped. Am glad she got to meet daddy's boss. :-) Bet he thought she was a doll. :-)

• Love 6

I had no idea that mouth muscles were part of fine motor skills training until we did it with my son. It's not unrelated to cutting and handwriting. So everything you do now will make those jobs easier down the road! :)

• Love 2

Old Bay Seasoning is crack.

Jelly, I've been selfishly avoiding your posts because every time I read your heartbreaking story, I went to this very dark and scary place. Before I was a parent, I knew children did pass occasionally and I knew it had to be terrible... but I didn't get it. I get it now. I am so sorry for your loss. It doesn't matter when it was. Your love for your daughter is obvious and im sorry I was too caught up in my own pain to reach out. Please forgive me?

Im exhausted. But, I've never been happier about being exhausted. Maisie has had some scary moments with O2 levels. We mentioned our altitude numerous times during our NICU time and no one really thought it would make a big difference. Boy. We're we all dumb. Luckily, we have a friend who operates as a flight medic in high altitude rescue and he came over to check out our gear for Maisie. He said it wasn't the concentrations that were wrong- it was the pressure differential between the tanks and our altitude, coupled with the size tubing we were given. I'm beginning to really love our resources. She only had one more rough night after the adjustment and that was because we lost power during a thunderstorm. We had a generator but it had to be primed first. It's always something.

She's sleeping great. Eating great. She even went down the Valley for dinner with daddy's boss.

Our first therapist was really overwhelmed. I don't think we were a good fit. She we bailed on day three. A family friend got us a grad student from a university who can stay with us for six weeks and she is a wonderful person. She had a deaf parent and has a speech pathology masters in the works. We're doing a lot of tactile stimulation and tongue positioning with different objects to help build her mouth muscles. It's going to be a long road.

We're in.

I am so touched by your post, thank you for keeping us updated..Sending my love, kisses and ffhugs to you hubby our Maisie and grad student.

Oh wanderwoman, no need to ask for forgiveness. Put that away. Everyone fears losing their children. Once you have a child, your heart is forever outside your body. My son is 33 years old and There is no reason for me to worry about him but I do. I follow him around on social media and if I can't track him down, he gets a text from this momma hen inquiring about something innocous so I know he's ok. And he is a grown man! I see him regularly but still.

yes, our altitudes make a difference. Even more so, adjustments to equipment make a lot of difference! So happy that helped. Am glad she got to meet daddy's boss. :-) Bet he thought she was a doll. :-)

This why i look forward to your posts, you have the ability to make everyone feel better. Every time you post you either help someone or sooth there worries. 

• Love 4

This why i look forward to your posts, you have the ability to make everyone feel better. Every time you post you either help someone or sooth there worries.

Ohhh! I try to be so careful, I know words can scare people as well as comfort. Thanks so much, you made me feel better. :-)

• Love 3

Hello Jellybeans. I don't have kids myself, but your line - once you have a child, your heart is forever outside your body...  Well, I just think that's one of the most accurate descriptions of being a parent I've ever heard. You sound exactly like my mother too. She had six of us and always commented about never truly being able to relax, except when we were all under one roof at the same time, such as Thanksgiving or Christmas. She always said, "From the moment they're born, you never once stop worrying about your children. Not for one minute - no matter how old they get to be." She died before texting, but she would have LOVED it because she was a complete phone-a-holic. My Mom would have had the fastest thumbs in the country! LOL. Take care and God bless...

• Love 4

Technology is great! I can check IG, FB, and his website and know where he's been without bothering him. He knows I do it too.

Funny thing is, he does not mind because he understands it. If he is going skiing and we're having a blizzard...I will text him till he tells me he has arrived. LOL.

And if he is slow to answer he says, "Mom, you said no texting while driving".

• Love 5

Technology is great! I can check IG, FB, and his website and know where he's been without bothering him. He knows I do it too.

Funny thing is, he does not mind because he understands it. If he is going skiing and we're having a blizzard...I will text him till he tells me he has arrived. LOL.

And if he is slow to answer he says, "Mom, you said no texting while driving".

i just splattered my computer screen with my diet coke ... ma you said no texting while driving

• Love 1

I still check on my 2 year old every time I wake up at night. I can't help it- I wake up and I need to know she's ok, even though there is no reason for me to think she isn't. And that's just the beginning of everything I worry about! It really is like having a piece of your heart outside of your body. That is such an appropriate description, Jellybeans.

• Love 1

My children are 44 and 41 years old. I still have to know where they are and how their lives are going. I try not to be a pest, but they know me well! No matter how old our children get, they are always our babies. And I love Jelly's thought that our hearts are forever out of our bodies. So true!

• Love 5
(edited)

Jellybeans ~ all I can offer is ff hugs. I have lost both parents within months of each other, and then my 2 oldest sisters passed away within a few years of each other. I know that pain. I have no human children (only Westies) so I can not imagine what pain you are going through. Please know you have an entire cyber community behind you, including me. Hugs!

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 5

I had no idea that mouth muscles were part of fine motor skills training until we did it with my son. It's not unrelated to cutting and handwriting. So everything you do now will make those jobs easier down the road! :)

Wanderwoman, I think it is great that "our" Maisie is getting therapy involving the mouth muscles. I noticed my ds3 (with autism) did not drink out of a straw until age 2 & could not blow bubbles. No one addressed it until I got his wonderful private ST at age 3. I was fascinated to see her use a vibrating wand on his cheeks & around his mouth to stimulate those muscles, & she did specific exercises where he would blow & look at himself in the mirror to match her mouth movements (& it's all good now, all of those issues resolved themselves with her help).

• Love 5
(edited)

Speech is our finest motor movement.  If one teeny tiny thing is off motorically, speech is greatly affected.

Sounds like Wanderwoman found a good match for Maisie!  

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think Kathie Lee Gifford is picking up Duggar-ese: in just 1 hour on the Today show she said "that's precious" 4 times, & also "what a blessing".

Didn't she get her start, decades ago, singing Christian music? Now she's another name we can add to the People Who Shouldn't Be on Television Any Longer list.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 5

Wanderwoman, I think it is great that "our" Maisie is getting therapy involving the mouth muscles. I noticed my ds3 (with autism) did not drink out of a straw until age 2 & could not blow bubbles. No one addressed it until I got his wonderful private ST at age 3. I was fascinated to see her use a vibrating wand on his cheeks & around his mouth to stimulate those muscles, & she did specific exercises where he would blow & look at himself in the mirror to match her mouth movements (& it's all good now, all of those issues resolved themselves with her help).

Interesting about the therapy. I used to do behavioral therapy with an autistic child. I was a volunteer college student, so I didn't have a lot of formal training in terms of the reasoning behind things, just exercises to do with her. She had a trained program supervisor, but most of us who worked with her day to day were 'just' volunteers.  They made such a huge deal about us getting her to blow bubbles, drink out of a straw, and blow out candles. We practiced for months before her birthday so she could blow out her birthday candles herself. I did the exercises with her, of course, and I was the first one to cheer her on when she accomplished new milestones, but I never understood why these particular exercises were such a big deal until now (20+ years later!).  Thanks for sharing your experience.

Wanderwoman I'm so glad every time I read about Maisie's progress. I have a feeling she's going to do great.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's going to be a long road.

We're in.

Wanderwoman I really look forward to your posts, both because I am interested in your family's story but also because you express it so beautifully.

And jellybeans, please don't take this as diminishing in any way your feelings for your kids but I think the description about having part of your heart outside your body also applies to pets, especially for those of us who only have fur babies. I know it is not the same. I also know that having spent as much time as I can at home in the last two weeks to monitor and love one of our fifteen year old kitties who is dying has felt very much like having part of my heart outside my body. It has been wrenching and a privilege, both. And she is still hanging in a week after having been given ~2 days to live.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 10

Wanderwoman I really look forward to your posts, both because I am interested in your family's story but also because you express it so beautifully.

And jellybeans, please don't take this as diminishing in any way your feelings for your kids but I think the description about having part of your heart outside your body also applies to pets, especially for those of us who only have fur babies. I know it is not the same. I also know that having spent as much time as I can at home in the last two weeks to monitor and love one of our fifteen year old kitties who is dying has felt very much like having part of my heart outside my body. It has been wrenching and a privilege, both. And she is still hanging in a week after having been given ~2 days to live.

Thinking of you as well, jc. Grief is the price we pay for the love our pets give us so unselfishly and unconditionally. Sending some virtual ear skritches to your kitty lovee, and a big virtual squeeze for you. God bless... 

• Love 6

Hi there, apologies if this is in the wrong spot (I've been reading here since TWoP shut down, but I think this is my first post!).

You may have heard that there is a TLC Block Party being held in Philadelphia on May 30. The Duggars are supposed to make an appearance, along with Kate Gosselin, Buddy the Cake Boss, the Roloffs, and assorted other TLC characters. It's free, but you are supposed to register at the link above (this also gives your consent to be filmed).

I saw in one of the other threads that there may be some Philly people who were thinking of going. Anyone interested in meeting up? Or should we just wear a special button so we recognize each other?

A little more info in this article...

Didn't she get her start, decades ago, singing Christian music? Now she's another name we can add to the People Who Shouldn't Be on Television Any Longer list.

I think she and Hoda are alcoholics. Not saying it in a negative way, just saying it.

• Love 1

I think she and Hoda are alcoholics. Not saying it in a negative way, just saying it.

I don't. I think it's all for show. If you watch they take 1 sip together, then don't touch it the rest of the show.

What I do find fascinating is that Kathie Lee is such good friends with Kris Kardashian that she is godmother to one of the girls. KLG claims to be a religious person & seems pretty judgemental, & yet she is friends with THAT family!

• Love 1

Please pray for me I have a court hearing @11:00 for custody of my grandsons. Not only did my daughter and son in law go full Gothard Fundie they went off the grid. So I want them to have a normal childhood.

Oh my goodness, Seashell!!! My thoughts and prayers will be with you all day no matter which way it goes!

• Love 5

I don't. I think it's all for show. If you watch they take 1 sip together, then don't touch it the rest of the show.

What I do find fascinating is that Kathie Lee is such good friends with Kris Kardashian that she is godmother to one of the girls. KLG claims to be a religious person & seems pretty judgemental, & yet she is friends with THAT family!

I do not count sips. I am very familiar with alcoholism. I watch their eyes.

Please pray for me I have a court hearing @11:00 for custody of my grandsons. Not only did my daughter and son in law go full Gothard Fundie they went off the grid. So I want them to have a normal childhood.

I will certainly be thinking of you today...

• Love 1

prayers sent. All my best. I'm glad you are there for your grandsons c
  • Love 1

Jellybeans ~ all I can offer is ff hugs. I have lost both parents within months of each other, and then my 2 oldest sisters passed away within a few years of each other. I know that pain. I have no human children (only Westies) so I can not imagine what pain you are going through. Please know you have an entire cyber community behind you, including me. Hugs!

Omg. I have 3 westies! Aren't they the best?

• Love 5

Holding you all in my thoughts! JellyBean, Wanderwoman, JCBrown, Seashell, and others. Praying and hoping things come out all right for all of you. Virtual hugs to all.

• Love 6

Joining the pray chain and hope you receive full custody of your grandsons. Full frontal Hugs and kisses

Oh my god. The scariest thing happened. Our 11 year old dog was on his way into the groomers' when he just suddenly had a petit mal seizure. It lasted about 10 minutes. Needless to say, we rushed him off to the vet (leaving our other dog at the groomer) but the seizure was over by the time we got there, and they couldn't see any reason for it.

They said older dogs occasionally have isolated seizures. (I hate that he is now an "older dog.") DH recalled that last time, or the time before that, when he took him into the groomer he had a sudden drooling episode, but nothing else happened. This seizure started with thick drooling, then he started shaking and fell over. So they think it's possible there's some kind of trigger at the groomers. He's been there scores of times before, though. DH is over there now to let them know the dog is okay, and to see if they can identify any recent changes that he could have been reacting to. But chances are we'll never know. And obviously, he's not going back there. It's possible that it would have happened wherever he was, but we're not really interested in testing that.

My 20 year old daughter, who the dog really belongs to, and her boyfriend are currently driving back from their college in LA, then the boyfriend is staying a couple of weeks and the daughter is staying the summer. They should arrive on Sunday. I don't even know whether we should call and let her know what happened, or just wait until she gets home. Thoughts? I also have to let my other daughter know, but she's not coming home until August. I have to tell DD1 first, I guess. I don't know. I'm still shaking.

• Love 3
(edited)

It is scary to see seizures in our pets. My daschie gets them too, and I have figured out her triggers. (anxiety) The nice thing about seizures (if there is anything "nice" about them) is they look worse than they are. I hold my daschie, speak quietly to her, sometimes I lay down on the floor and craddle her. If I think her body temperature is getting too high I grab a wet washcloth and cool her face and belly down. I have no fear of bites, LOL.

It is usually over in 3-15 minutes. They do not remember them and go to sleep. My daschie is almost 11 years old.

For some reason the groomer is the trigger so that is an easy one to handle. No more groomer!

I can tell when my daschie is going to have a seizure...can't explain it, she gives off a certain vibe... I can ward off it off by changing her environment but not always.

I probably would wait till she got home Sunday. Then you can call the other one together. But really, it looks much worse than it is. Don't be afraid to lay by a seizing dog and comfort him unless you think you'll get seriously bitten.

Edited by Jellybeans
  • Love 4

Neither doctors nor vets put enough thought into diagnosis.  I am so tired of getting mis-disagnosed myself, or my husband or my dogs getting diagnosed incorrectly.  The diagnosis is of utmost importance, or you are treating for the wrong thing.  Or not at all.  There is a reason for a seizure.  Your little buddy being 11 is no excuse.  

• Love 2

JenCarroll, I agree with Jellybeans.  No need to worry daughter no. 1 while on her trip.  I'm sure once she sees doggie looks happy, a calming and reassuring tone will make her feel okay.  Then she can reassure daughter no. 2 that dear doggie is okay.  Whatever you do, don't tell her it's a "glitch."

• Love 8
(edited)

My dog was checked out by a vet and I was told it was common in older daschies. I cannot afford to get her an MRI. I trained myself to ward off her seizures by being alert to her behavior. If she is acting needy or very whiny, I know something is up. It has been over a year, and she used to get the 5-6 times a year which is when they want to put them on anti-seizure meds. I guess we've trained each other well. Even my boyfriend recognizes the changes.

Maybe you could think back to the time before the grooming...was it especially hectic? A different route? Different way of getting in cars? It is interesting how these little things affect dogs. Or maybe I have always had neurotic dogs!

I love all animals. Had four cats and a golden. My daschie is still living. :-)

Edited by Jellybeans
  • Love 3

JenC, it is SO frightening when there's something wrong with a pet! They can't say, "hey mama, my HEAD hurts..." Seems like every time I have a sick pet, I go bonkers and cry and worry - and the next morning, the dog (we only "do" dogs) are wagging and jumping, going "Heeeeeeeeeey, wassup?????" Especially with see sures, because they absolutely recover and act like... NOTHING. Amazing. I had a cocker who (can a dog be a "who"?) was VERY VERY seizure prone, and the vet told me unless she had one in front of them, they would never be able to determine the cause. And even if she WAS in front of them, if she wasn't specifically being monitored, they wouldn't really be able to tell. I'm not saying this to scare you, just to brace you: my dog's got way worse with age. They are so so scary, and of course, the dogs eyes roll around so THEY look scared (they aren't - it's as Jellybeans said - the dog doesn't remember it at all when they wake up). Never heard of medicating a dog for seizures, all you can really do is love them. And it sounds as if you got that part covered! *sorry for using "see sures", this is serious business. I could NOT resist.

• Love 2

I had to scroll up to make sure I was in the prayer closet because I have a funny story to share.

I had to pick up one of my Grands today at school, and he was let go earlier than I planned. I was still in my pj's so I quick yanked on street clothes, ran my hands thru my hair and out the door. About halfway there, I thought, my clothes don't "feel" right. My ran my hand around my back to make sure I was "adjusted" and nothing was twisted, and it all felt right. Got to school, but he was not where I expected. I went in to find him, and again had that distinct feeling something was NOT RIGHT in the clothing department. Again, I ran my hand around the back, but this time followed it all the way to the front - and discovered I had actually MISSED MY ARM with my bra shoulder strap. Leftie was just... Well, you know. So here I am IN THE SCHOOL, pretty much ready to nurse... (Ugh...). I quickly pulled my arm in side my shirt and reshot. Quick readjustment and whew. Nobody saw me I'm sure. (Except on the sucurrity monitors in the front office...)

• Love 7

Leftie was just... Well, you know. So here I am IN THE SCHOOL, pretty much ready to nurse... (Ugh...). I quickly pulled my arm in side my shirt and reshot. Quick readjustment and whew. Nobody saw me I'm sure. (Except on the sucurrity monitors in the front office...)

We all saw you.

• Love 7