Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E12: Week 10: The Semi-Finals

• Start Topic

Here's the official press release about the episode:

“Episode 1910” – Five remaining couples advance to the Semi-Finals and perform two routines during plugged/unplugged, on “Dancing with the Stars,” MONDAY, NOVEMBER 17 (8:00-10:00 p.m. ET). The semi-finalists including Tommy Chong, Bethany Mota, Janel Parrish, Alfonso Ribeiro, and Sadie Robertson will perform to two different versions of the same song. In the first round of the competition, the couples will perform a Jazz, Quickstep, Samba, Paso Doble or Argentine Tango to an original or “plugged” version of their selected song. In round two of the competition, the couples will perform an Argentine Tango, Rumba, or Contemporary routine to an acoustic or “unplugged” version of that same song. Special musical guests will accompany the unplugged performances including singer Christina Grimmie, who will perform “Love Runs Out,” Time For Three, who will perform “Blame,” and YouTube sensation Noah Guthrie, who will perform his cover of “Problem.” At the end of the night, one couple will be eliminated and four couples will move on to the finals.

Couples will be dancing to the following “Plugged/Unplugged” songs:

Tommy Chong & Peta Murgatroyd - “Tainted Love” by Soft Cell and “unplugged” version by Hannah Peel
Bethany Mota & Derek Hough - “I Want You Back” by Jackson 5 and “unplugged” version by The Civil Wars
Janel Parrish & Valentin Chmerkovskiy - “Blame” by Calvin Harris, featuring a guest “unplugged” performance by Time For Three
Alfonso Ribeiro & Witney Carson - “Love Runs Out” by One Republic, featuring a guest “unplugged” performance by Christina Grimmie
Sadie Robertson & Mark Ballas - “Problem” by Ariana Grande, featuring guest “unplugged” performance by Noah Guthrie
  • Love 1

I was hoping Val would record himself on the violin  to dance an Argentine Tango, since he's been helping out on a few studio recordings these days, but I'm hopeful Time for Three  will be good, I had a listen to them on youtube, a trio of two violins and a base will be a nice way to break down a pop song for a more intimate dance.

Edited by Andiethewestie

Tonight was the night of a thousand tears....

Maybe a few of them my own...Alfonso...sniff

Anyway, the best dance of the night for me was Val and Jannels first dance, holy cow. That was amazing. Val's choreograohy is just top notch.

Tommy was a total dear but it was his time to go.

I already threw all my votes at Alfonso.

Edited by TiredMe
  • Love 5

Love Val and Janel is growing on me, thought they were the best of the night! Hoping the final 3 will be Janel, Sadie and Alphonso! I think Bethany is way overrated by the judges, they are judging Derek IMO.

I'm with Len, I thought Max was going to mess up Val and Janel! I laughed when Val said Max said the same thing!

Alphonso will get alot of sympathy votes which I'm okay with since he definitely deserves to be in the finals.

Val for the win!

Edited by Packerbrewerbadger
  • Love 3

Bye Tommy.  It's been real.

"You're the biggest bitch to move."  Not the first or last time one of the brothers heard that.

I am REALLY hoping the 3 young uns split the vote for Alfonso to nail this shut. (Though I have to say, I can't really argue if any of the women win since they all had their moments.)  Val and Janel's paso...damn.  Outstanding.  But Alfonso is fighting all the way through the past few weeks and he's still amazing even not dancing at 100%. 

I have never rooted for someone to really win a reality show competition in years until Alfonso.  I hope he can last one more week. 

x

• Love 13

Who's the SYTYCD expert here? I know I've seen that picture frame dance before - I recognized it as soon as Beth + Derek started.  (not the Tyce group broadway dance).

Well that was rather anti-climactic but it was time. I don't think Tommy had any more dances in him. Peta did great with him this season and I thought it was sweet how emotional she was about his journey. They actually did pretty good tonight I thought. I could definitely tell he was going home when the judges started pulling out those high scores for him, particularly for the Rumba. Those were definitely some "goodbye gift" scores. I really thought it would come down to him and Bethany, even though it was obvious Tommy was going, just because Bethany has so far never once been made to sweat out a result. Although now that I think about it, neither has Alfonso. 

It's a pity that so close to the finish line, he's gotten so injured. You could tell he was in pain and was a bit hampered in some of his movements. But I still enjoyed the contemporary. However, the Argentine Tango, not so much. First of all, I hated the costumes they were wearing, Witney in particular looked frumpy to me and honestly, she didn't look that great in the dance which totally threw me and distracted me from even watching Alfonso. I often always try to force myself to only watch the celebrity because I figure the Pro is not really the one being judged but I was not loving Witney's lines in the dance at all. When I did look at Alfonso, I could tell he was limited in how he could move so it was affecting his frame and posture. I thought the 9's were very generous. 

Sadie was overscored for her Quickstep and I don't know where the hell Julianne was going with that 10 for that AT. I almost feel like the judges got so tired of hearing Mark's whinging that they're just thinking, "screw it, let's just give them high scores to shut him up." I thought Mark did well to make Problem work as a Quickstep but I felt like Sadie was almost being dragged at points during the dance and her upper body continues to drive me crazy. I don't know which judge mentioned her frame but I don't know what they were seeing because to my eyes I didn't see a strong frame once through that dance. Her arms were weak and floppy at points. And her upper body was the problem again in the AT where once again you could tell there was no strength there. I also agreed with Len about Mark keeping the guitar between them too long because it affected the intimate/closed hold of the dance. 

Derek was a huge disappointment with the Samba in my opinion. I get that he hit a wall creatively and I saw a part of his weekly blog where he said part of the problem for him was that the song, while good for a Samba, was so overdone and overplayed, everything he was coming up with felt boring to him. But in my opinion, because he felt stumped, he should have just then focused on a clean, simple, no fussing about Samba. Maybe it would not have gotten the audience on their feet but it would have content and as long as Bethany executed it well, that's what would count.

What he did deliver in my opinion was cheeky and cutesy but did not have nearly enough Samba content and I agreed with Carrie Ann that it was a little disappointing to Bethany for how far she has come and what she can do. What he gave her, she did well I thought but I was honestly surprised at all the 9's and thought Len might have given it an 8. I also wondered if he got confused and thought they were doing Trios again this week with how much Sasha was involved in that number. Loved the contemporary though it felt a bit slow to me and while I liked the concept, the frame did kind of bug me at points because I felt it limited some of the lifts and intimacy they could have had. But it was good. However, as I've said I'm rarely ever jumping out of my seat for contemporaries on this show. 

I really liked Janel's Paso, though I thought her attack was a little weak at the start of the dance but she really got into it and picked up the intensity at the end so I was okay with her scores. The AT disappointed me a little and seeing what Val has created with that dance, I was expecting something to blow me away. However, I agree with the judges that he went a bit too lift crazy and because of that lost the intimate, passionate and quiet intensity I love about the AT (similar to what I thought was lacking in Bethany's Trio AT last week). I also wanted a lot more flicks and kicks and leg interplay. So I thought the scores for that dance was fair. 

eta: Okay I could not have been the only one wondering about Dan Quayle showing up in Alfonso's tribute video package thing. Seriously, how random was that? I'm trying to imagine how those two could possibly know each other.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

Who's the SYTYCD expert here? I know I've seen that picture frame dance before - I recognized it as soon as Beth + Derek started.  (not the Tyce group broadway dance).

There are so many picture frame dances out there. Even Britney Spears did the picture frame though not to Contemporary. Peta and Tommy's styling is what had me thinking of sytycd. It was almost the same as a number that Tanisha&Rudy danced too. 

• Love 1

There are so many picture frame dances out there. Even Britney Spears did the picture frame though not to Contemporary. Peta and Tommy's styling is what had me thinking of sytycd. It was almost the same as a number that Tanisha&Rudy danced too. 

I don't really pay any attention to Britney Spears. It had to be a contemporary (or maybe a jazz?) with the moving in + out of the frame. Fairly recent - this past season or the previous season. Uggg! It's bugging me now.  I remember the dance but I don't remember who danced it.

To my recollection, I can think of many dances where the couples may have had the picture frame holding at the start or more commonly, the frame is a huge prop on the stage so they look like they are two people dancing within a frame, sort of like Peta looking like she was dancing in a snow globe. However I can't remember off the top of my head a dance where it was held and passed back and forth throughout the dance. That said, I haven't watched SYTYCD as faithfully once they went to a one night a week format so I may be wrong. Could always try searching for "frame sytycd" on Youtube. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

Dan Quayle mentioned something like teeing off so I figure they are Golfing buddies. In that package they had all the big guns except Will  because he's still close to everybody. 

And I have a feeling that Beth's fans are either really going to love this weeks dances or hate them. These dances this week are much more cutsey fun or pretty and artsy cool that way Beth and her videos are on her channel.  

I'm starting the prayer circle to get Alfonso through one more week plus one day of competition.  Then if he never wants to dance again, I'll support it.  Bless him...that kind of pain can not be easy to deal with on a regular basis, not to mention dancing.  Although if he plays his cards right he could get a national commercial with Aleve or Tylenol or something.  Icy Hot?  Cryotherapy chains?  Ben Gay?

• Love 5

For the first time this season, Janel actually got my votes. That paso was fantastic - possibly my favorite dance of the season, and I'd really like to see her and Val escape 4th place. It would also be nice to see Val outlast Derek, which has never happened before (I still wish it had happened with Zendaya).

Ultimately, I expect Alfonso and Sadie to be winner/runner-up, but Janel has really proven herself and I'd be happy to see her in 3rd (or even 2nd) place behind Alfonso.

• Love 1
In that package they had all the big guns except Will  because he's still close to everybody

And James "Uncle Phil" Avery. They showed them all together in a photo and that brought some tears as well. He certainly would have loved to see Alfonso out there I am sure, they were so close.

His parents were such sweethearts, they sounded like such lovely people. I liked everyone in his package, heh, including Dan.

• Love 4

Oh crap I was already nervous going into tonight then Alfonso had to start crying. Broke my heart. You could see the pain all over his face. When they got the score for the contemporary and he and Witney just looked at each other I thought they were both going to burst into tears. I have no clue how hes going to hold up for next week but I sure hope he can pull through because I'm so anxious to see what Witney can do for a freestyle. And if by some chance he cant pull through hell I'm voting anyone but Val. Yeah I kind of realized tonight its not even Janel that bothers me so much, its Val.  He (and Maks too for that matter) cant leave my screen soon enough.

eta:  Yeah that photo made me tear up as well. In one of the post show interviews last week Alfonso said that as close as the Fresh Prince cast still is they wouldnt do a big reunion big James Avery was the heart of the show and it wouldnt feel right without him.

Edited by howmanywords
  • Love 4

Well... Alfonso made me cry. Damn it. (LOL.) Seriously though, I kept watching him while they talked to the judges and I thought, poor dude is so much pain, he looks like he's going to cry. And then he did. And my heart couldn't take it; I started crying right along with him.

It's got to kill him not to be able to go full out when he knows he wants to and usually can. You could really see it in that first dance, how tight and careful his moves were. He did fine, but he just couldn't do the powerful snap and hit moves that the dance needed. He did more in the second dance, and I was so heartened by that, but first and foremost I hope he takes care of himself. His wife looked on high alert, like she was thinking, "A dance competition is not worth more than my husband's health!"

I missed Tommy's second dance - was it really worth a 9 from Carrie Anne? I nearly fell over when she said that score; I was all, "What the hell did I miss??" Hopefully it will be on youtube so I can catch it secondhand.

Best dance partners of the night: Val and his brother Maks. Loved it.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 3

Glad Tommy went out on a high note. Given some of the comments the judges were giving him (like how he should be so proud of what he achieved) I knew he was definitely going home, and it was definitely time, but it was good to see him go out with a nice performance like the one for the Rumba.

When Alfonso started to cry, I almost lost it. I could barely watch his second dance because I was so worried about something happening. Seriously his determination really kind of motivated me to think twice before whining and to make more of an effort to get shit done. I haven't voted at all this season, and not for awhile with this show, but all my votes went to Alfonso tonight.

I thought it was so sweet that he's still so close to so many of his old cast members - not just the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air but that he and Ricky  still support each other.Schroeder.

Maybe I'm just as big of a fuddy duddy as Len, but I just was not having it with most of the props used tonight, especially the frame in Derek and Bethany's dance and the guitar in Mark and Sadie's. During Mark and Sadie's I just kept wondering why it was there.

I call total bullshit on Janel getting two ten's on that last dance. As Carrie-Ann of all people pointed out, the lifts were completely ungraceful. Everyone of them sucked and there were a few stumbles. In fact, at one point I actually shouted at the screen, which I haven't done in awhile for this show, that I dared them not to notice the mistakes and of course Len and Julianne acted like it was a flawless performance. 

Most amusing moment of the night: Val giving Tom's butt a squeeze "from Maks." Love that too.

I call total bullshit on Janel getting two ten's on that last dance. As Carrie-Ann of all people pointed out, the lifts were completely ungraceful.

I agree. I thought some of the lift-spin moves looked cool while she was up in the air, so that was impressive, but going into and out of those lifts were really not smoothly done. Which then made it feel like the lifts were just to show off and "do a fancy lift" rather than have a cohesive performance. It took me out of fully enjoying the dance.

• Love 1
Sadie was overscored for her Quickstep and I don't know where the hell Julianne was going with that 10 for that AT. I almost feel like the judges got so tired of hearing Mark's whinging that they're just thinking, "screw it, let's just give them high scores to shut him up."

But check this out --- her fans are still complaining.  They're saying she's still being underscored and that she's not getting the respect she deserves.  All I can do is shake my head because I don't get it.

• Love 3

Sadie and Mark are still so painfully overrated. That Quickstep was terrible, not only we did get everything but the kitchen sink hip hop charleston and whatever, the dancing in hold was weak.  What was the guitar supposed to be on the AT, a chastity belt? I mean, come on this is getting a little ridiculous.  

Picture dance? Derek's creativity has seriously dried up if he has to take ideas from Tyce Diorio season 5 SYTYCD, or even the Australian DWTS.  

Tommy and Peta's rumba was very sweet. Of course Peta danced around him, but there's something endearing about him.  He had a great run on the show.

Alfonso was willing himself through the dances, and I give him credit, but he's got to get in shape for the finals or he could easily lose this. Those scores were generous. 

I thought Val and Janel's Paso was incredible, especially since it's usually an " all eyes on guys"  dance, Val was careful to showcase Janel. For me, It's so much better than a trio.  As for the AT I thought it was ambitious and beautiful, although I too wanted more Argentine romance, even though I noticed that Janel did work the close embrace very well. However, I'm not sure that anyone else in the competition could even attempt those lifts, so I'm loving that there's at least somebody in the competition who is fearless.   

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 3

Wow, how super-predictable; since the cast was announced, this seemed to be the likely F4:

a dude who apparently was known for dancing, and 3 young ladies - 

one with a Youtube following and more importantly with Derek

one with the top ABC Family show who's one of the most popular characters

one who has the Christian following via her family's show...

• Love 2

Alfonso was willing himself through the dances, and I give him credit, but he's got to get in shape for the finals or he could easily lose this. Those scores were generous. 

I dont know what more he could do to get in shape.  He said after the show tonight that hes been getting treatment on his back every day since last Thursday, multiple times a day and a doctor has been with him in all of his rehearsals supervising what he can and cant do and trying to loosen any spasms he was getting.  All things considered I think hes done pretty well and dont know what more he can do without causing some bad damage. I figure by next week the last resort is an epidural like Jennifer Grey had to get finale night. That kind of back pain is no joke.

• Love 7

I dont know what more he could do to get in shape.  He said after the show tonight that hes been getting treatment on his back every day since last Thursday, multiple times a day and a doctor has been with him in all of his rehearsals supervising what he can and cant do and trying to loosen any spasms he was getting.  All things considered I think hes done pretty well and dont know what more he can do without causing some bad damage. I figure by next week the last resort is an epidural like Jennifer Grey had to get finale night. That kind of back pain is no joke.

Well he'll have to do something, I am assuming he is already taking some pain numbing shots, but tonight was very careful dancing and not the kind that wins mirrorballs. I remember Gilles Marini  was inches from the title, but his shoulder made the choices around the freestyle a lunch bag letdown.

• Love 2

I thought Sadie's quickstep was a waltz for the first half of the dance. It was slow. Len said she was so fast she should get a speeding ticket? Maybe in a school zone. That dance was way-overscored. Quickstep is one of my favorites and this was really weak. I'm still confused about the weird hairspray thing. It didn't seem to have a theme or story, so I don't know why they bothered with the interlude instead of just starting on the floor. I had to check what their other dance was because I didn't even remember. Then all I rememebered was the awkward guitar in the middle of everything and nothing about the actual dance.

Tommy's rumba reminded me of

. Even his red jacket looked like Dick van Dyke's. Sad to see him go based on personality alone, but it was past time.

Bethany sat on the bench just as long as Janel sat last week. I'm sure all those who criticized Janel last week for staying seated for "so long" will do the same for Bethany.

I didn't like her samba. I thought it was overscored. Especially after the judges' comments. Since when is "I thought it was meh" a 9 score, Carrie Ann? I thought the choreography in the contemporary was really repetitive and I've seen the picture frame idea used a lot better. At times, it looked like it was tripping her up instead of keeping a flowing movement.

I really liked Janel's paso. I agreed that the lifts in the Argentine Tango were messy and they should have left them out if they couldn't execute them better. Based on the talent pool left, they really don't need to go above and beyond with the choreography difficulty.

Poor Alfonso. I really want him to win and I'd hate for him to miss out beacuse of an injury. He's the best dancer this season and has been consistently great.

Edited by skittl3862
  • Love 2

Bethany sat on the bench just as long as Janel sat last week. I'm sure all those who criticized Janel last week for staying seated for "so long" will do the same for Bethany.

I mentioned I was surprised Janel didn't get called out for it last week, but it made sense choreographically for me in the dance. Bethany's did for me too this week - they were both very cute moments. So I hope the same is true for people who loved the beginning of the quickstep. I will mention, Bethany/Derek got called out for it by the judges, and Janel didn't. No, I don't think it's a conspiracy, I think it's the whims of the judges week to week. 

I liked almost all the dances this week, but I wasn't necessarily blown away by any of them. The Janel/Val paso was awesome, but it bugged me that their intro was the same as Maks and Meryl's hand holding dance from last season. It threw my mind into an unnecessary comparison, which took me a second to snap out of, which is unfortunate, because the dance was super strong. I wish I didn't still get Rachel Berry vibes from her because I want to like her. Alfonso impressed with his dedication, I think he's winning people over with that big time. Sadie is still likeable and cute, but her dancing has sort of plateaued for me. And I can't explain it, but something just makes me really root for Bethany, I really like her. I'm still standing by my Alfonso win prediction though, but it's closer than maybe I thought before the injury. I can't tell which way it's going to break for the three girls though, they all have different things I can see as weaknesses, but also different voting blocks that might push them through - I really can't predict which is going to pull out on top. 

• Love 1

Note: I didn't watch the packages, just the dances and a little bit of the judging so I may be missing some info.

Sadie and Mark - The quickstep seemed slow to me? I thought her dress was pretty though. The guitar in the AT was so weird. Was it there so she wouldn't have to press her body against his? Awkward.

Bethany and Derek - I thought the samba was super cute. I loved it. The picture frame dance. Ugh, there was a picture frame dance on Dance Moms. Come on Derek, you've got to do better than Abby Lee Miller.

Janel and Val - She was fierce in the Paso. Loved it. The lifts in the AT were beyond her skill level. I think it's unnecessary for Val to give her such challenging choreography. She is doing well. Let her show off her strengths.

Alfonso and Witney - It hurt me to watch him because I knew he was injured. He did as well as anyone could under the circumstances. They are such a likeable pair. I really hope he is well enough to continue.

Tommy and Peta - It was obviously his time but he was very sweet.

I watched back the lifts on the AT and they were fine, not beyond Janel's ability, particularly incredible when she was on set for her show and  had less time to practice this week. The first lift was amazingly well done, The second one had a little hesitation, into the flying move,  but these are the same entries into lifts that Miriam and Leonardo do, so they are appropriate for Argentine Tango.  Since there's no gymnasts or ice skaters on the show this year who make their living doing dangerous lifts and stunts it's even more impressive to me that Janel is so good at it. 

• Love 3

I watched back the lifts on the AT and they were fine, not beyond Janel's ability, particularly incredible when she was on set for her show and  had less time to practice this week. The first lift was amazingly well done, The second one had a little hesitation, into the flying move,  but these are the same entries into lifts that Miriam and Leonardo do, so they are appropriate for Argentine Tango.  Since there's no gymnasts or ice skaters on the show this year who make their living doing dangerous lifts and stunts it's even more impressive to me that Janel is so good at it.

I don't think she was all that good at it. I thought both lifts were hell awkward getting in to it, and even worse getting out of it. 

• Love 8

I thought it was hilarious that Peta was adjusting her boobs while the jam session clip was being shown, not thinking that she and Tommy would be shown as a little frame in the corner. She usually mugs for the cameras so much, so it's funny to see her be unaware that she's being filmed and do something normal.

I'm in the camp that thinks the lifts in Janel's AT weren't well executed. It looked like Val was going for a Leonardo Barrionuevo/Miriam Larici level of dance, and while Janel is good, she's not *that* good.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 4

Janels first dance was OUTSTANDING. Alfonso may have won the second round, but nobody got close to her in the first dances. Val's choreography is incredible. They got all of my votes! 

They over scored bethany in both dances I though. And i was a little annoyed at her playing the sob story bullying card again in her video package (I know the producers probably push it but still). Love her, but come on. 

Edited by hqtextbook
  • Love 3

l.

I'm in the camp that thinks the lifts in Jane's AT weren't well executed. It looked like Val was going for a Leonardo Barrionuevo/Miriam Larici level of dance, and while Janel is good, she's not *that* good.

Well at least Janel aspires to Leonardo and Miriam, and that's all you can ask from a contestant. I thought it was fine, and on playback it's even better.   To constantly dumb down dances like the Quickstep so much you have throw in hip hop filler takes away from the full experience of learning to dance real ballroom. 

• Love 2

All this talk about pressure was a joke.  Tommy had one leg in the elimination grave.   All the others needed to do was remain upright - as Alfonso proved to be literally true.

The music detracted all night from the dancing.  Just how hard is it to find appropriate tunes?  Really.  How hard?

The show's pacing the last 20 minutes was veritably glacial.  Folks who have been calling for enough time for the jidges sure got their wish tonight!  We got lots of Erin time, for good or for ill, as well.  

Sadie's QS was her best dance of the year.  Super ambitious at a pace very few have matched in the history of this show.  But, as is the problem with the Foxtrot or Waltz, it just didn't evoke the emotion needed for consensus 10s.   The hyper-focus by TPTB on her tears last week will energize her supporters and detractors, both.  If judged real, droves of votes.  If fake, mucho vitriol.  She displayed newfound dance maturity in the AT.  She's rightly a shoo-in for the finals.  

Derek sure solved his Samba choreo block, didn't he?  Fiddle faddle around for 96 bars, then have his partner shimmy like she is Charo the rest of the time.  That is choreo that should be reserved for the first weeks, not a semi-final.  36 was an absolute farce of a score.  Fodder for Derek conspiracists fer sure.  That window on the Contempo was totally unnecessary.  It just served to distract.  That dance was gorgeous all on its own.  

Janel was marvelous in that PD, but Val's attack on that dance was epic.  My goodness but he was a masterful and powerful bull!  As a violinist, Val is a good dancer.   It sure got Janel out of several moves with that delay, though.  She was asked to do very little throughout.  CAI was right about the clunky lifts.   

With obvious reason, but dang if Alfonso didn't reach Waltrip level for the first half of that AT.  The last third showed very good and smooth movement.  I gave him an 8 just to keep him ahead of Tommy.  Nines were ridiculous.  TPTB agenda.  No doubt in my mind.  I have all the respect in the world for that effort.  Yet and still, ya gotsta deliver when the red light goes on.  It is not fair that he will carry over such great scores.  I don't see how he can win despite the undeserved boost he got from the jidges.  What a shame.  

Very sweet emotion from Peta after the snowball princess routine.  My guess is she focused on long ago elder male affection she once had, or never had and desperately wanted.  Also, she knew that was very likely the last dance.  Good on her for her personal investment in Tommy and her professional guidance.  First rate.  

We got the correct final four.  That's about the best I can hope for in any given season.

• Love 1
I mentioned I was surprised Janel didn't get called out for it last week, but it made sense choreographically for me in the dance. Bethany's did for me too this week - they were both very cute moments. So I hope the same is true for people who loved the beginning of the quickstep. I will mention, Bethany/Derek got called out for it by the judges, and Janel didn't. No, I don't think it's a conspiracy, I think it's the whims of the judges week to week.

This is exactly why Grassy Knoll theories and cries of bias and unfairness always amuse me because the truth is, everyone has their biases, particularly if they're a huge fan of one particular couple/Pro/celebrity. Some (and I stress some) of the ones who had an issue with Janel's sitting in the crowd for how many bars last week will say nothing of Bethany this week in the Samba because they like her but the same can be said on the flipside.

Some of the same people who last week might have said Janel was still performing and it was all part of the performance, will probably pull out "but of course Derek had a celebrity sitting..." That's why these shows can be so unpredictable. It's so subjective and based on people's own biases and who they like for whatever reason. That's also one of the main reasons I don't vote because I feel like once  I start voting, it means I'm invested in who actually wins and once I'm invested, I don't think I can truly be unbiased in my opinions of the pairings. YMMV of course. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Ugh!  I just can't with the judges anymore.  And the music, the music was HORRID.

Is Janel not pulling enough votes that her scores are inflated?  

Carrie Anne complains that Bethany isn't showing enough of herself and yet not a word about Janel's single expression (blow up doll); complaints about the Samba being too sweet yet you give them "I Want You Back" to dance to.  

What's with the coddling of Sadie; her Quickstep was enjoyable, but there were bobbles - why aren't they mentioned?    

I would like to have seen Janel's Paso but the camera work stayed suspiciously away from full body - granted, Janel is a very pretty girl, I don't need to see a close up of her face in the middle of a dance.  I thought that the AT was a hot mess.

Poor Alfonso - heal up.

Goodbye Tommy - you were fun and I adored your partnership with Peta.

• Love 2

Yeah, Len, even though we knew it was coming, thanks for telegraphing Tommy's departure with: "No one your age will ever again get this far on DWTS" (my paraphrase). Really, Len? Do the judges have to power to make it so?

Add me to the terrified for Alfonso troupe - I watched his second routine through my hands, fingers crossed. I've wanted to see Alfonso on DWTS since I started watching the show and it saddens me that TPTB waited so long to invite him. Perhaps he'd have avoided injury in younger years.... 

Edited: because while I strongly believe in everything I just typed, it didn't need to be in bold lol

Edited by jette
  • Love 2

I thought Janel's paso was the best dance of the night. I've been underwhelmed by the Argentine Tangos this season and was underwhelmed by theirs too. I liked it but didn't love it. I thought their scores were right compared to the rest. Even if the Argentine Tango wasn't what I hoped for, I do think they were the best of the night.

I've wanted Alfonso to win since the beginning but I'm almost hoping he doesn't make it past the next elimination just so he can rest. Of course, there's barely any more dancing after the next elimination so maybe he can hold on. I'm torn. I don't want him to really injure himself, and I don't want him to win on pity votes because he deserves to actually win based on the dancing.

Bethany's samba was cute. I thought it was an adorable dance - probably better for earlier in the competition when she wasn't as capable - but I agreed with Len about there being sticky parts. I couldn't figure out what bugged me about it until he said that. I actually thought the 36 was generous, which is odd because a few weeks ago it would have been one of the better dances. Their contemporary was good but didn't blow me away. I thought she had some very pretty lines and poses in it but I just didn't feel that wow. I think Bethany is still uneven in how she projects herself and emotion through the dance. I think she's gotten a lot better, and I like her a lot more now than I did in the beginning. But, she still seems to not fully understand her abilities. Of course, she's only 19.

I don't get the Sadie love. I thought the quickstep was slow and that shake thing she does in the beginning of most of her dances gives me awful second hand embarrassment. It makes her look so uncoordinated (even though I know from Shirley Ballas that she is extremely coordinated) and young. I can't remember what her second dance was. Oh, the guitar. That looked so awkward to me. I think she's lost that spark she had at the beginning. She just isn't comparing as favorably to the other two for me. I liked her costuming though. The top of the first dress was so pretty on her.

I thought the side by side comparison of Mark to Woody Allen was incredibly insulting for Mark. Even if they looked similar (which was just curly hair and glasses), do we really want to compare anyone to Woody Allen?

I have the same reaction to Tommy Chong and his dances as they showed Witney having in that one clip. I just love him. He wasn't the best dancer, but he really brought out what the show should be about. I'm glad they had such a good run.

I'd take a guess at the final standings, but I don't know how the three women are going to shake out. Based on dancing, I think I'd like Janel, Bethany, Sadie, but it could be in any order at this point. If Alfonso's there, he feels like a wild card to me now. I think he's got the support behind him even if he can't perform at 85%.

• Love 2

I've wanted Alfonso to win since the beginning but I'm almost hoping he doesn't make it past the next elimination just so he can rest. Of course, there's barely any more dancing after the next elimination so maybe he can hold on. I'm torn. I don't want him to really injure himself, and I don't want him to win on pity votes because he deserves to actually win based on the dancing.

This is me. Listening to him after the show it sure sounds like hes not giving up and is going to do whatever he can to keep pushing through for next week, I dont know.  My thought is a plastic trophy just isnt worth any kind of permanent damage. Just a hunch here, but just looking at Twitter and Facebook I strongly suspect he will indeed get ton of pity votes. IMO he doesnt need them and I doubt he would want people to vote because they feel sorry for him but I think he tugged at a lot of heartstrings.

Carrie Anne complains that Bethany isn't showing enough of herself and yet not a word about Janel's single expression (blow up doll); complaints about the Samba being too sweet yet you give them "I Want You Back" to dance to.  

Haa! I think you nailed it with the description of her one expression! But yeah the judges bias as usual is continuing.  I'm still not over last week where they had the nerve to dock points for lack of content only to say "who cares about lack of content" when the favored ones do the same. Not to mention ignoring obvious flubs.

eta: Hmm in one of the post show interviews Alfonso was asked about the possibility of a Tap freestyle and he and Witney just looked at each other smiling and she said "possibly". I so hope that happens!

Edited by howmanywords
  • Love 1
But yeah the judges bias as usual is continuing.  I'm still not over last week where they had the nerve to dock points for lack of content only to say "who cares about lack of content" when the favored ones do the same. Not to mention ignoring obvious flubs.

I think it's less about judges' biases and more about they can't figure out how to score people - more ineptitude than bias. Are they scoring based on personal ability? Entertainment? Technique? Content? It seems like everyone's on a different scale so then you get 10s that weren't really perfect but compared to others should be scored higher.

I actually have agreed with the overall ranking of the dances the past few weeks, so I just don't try to make sense of the scores.

• Love 2

My thought is a plastic trophy just isnt worth any kind of permanent damage. Just a hunch here, but just looking at Twitter and Facebook I strongly suspect he will indeed get ton of pity votes. IMO he doesnt need them and I doubt he would want people to vote because they feel sorry for him but I think he tugged at a lot of heartstrings.

Yeah, he definitely pulled my heartstrings, I think because he seems so very genuine. He just seems like a decent lovely man. I did think Len's "Pain is temporary, but glory is FOREVAH!" was a mite overstated when we're considering the mirror ball trophy. My husband was half-watching while we were in bed last night, and he was like, "Christ, is Alfonso going to storm the beaches of Normandy all by himself?" So...yeah. I have had serious back issues (disc-related, spinal fusion) and much chronic pain in relation to my back, and holy heck, back pain sucks. Based on Alfonso's description of the pain being lower left, it sounds like muscular pain as opposed to disc pain, but some of the worst pain I've ever had in my back has been from muscle spasms. What was tough last night was that he seemed -- obviously! -- less full of the joy that makes him so fun to watch. Not blaming him AT ALL, and I think he will be absolutely fine in the votes, but even if he wins, it's a bummer if he can't bring that special joy that he has.

Despite my feelings toward Witney on SYTYCD (ranged from meh to outright frustration), I love, love their partnership. When he was telling her that he didn't know if he could dance, she was trying so hard not to cry and to support him, and then he gave her a big fatherly/big brother hug. They are one of my favorite partnerships ever on this show. I think he wants this as much for her as he does for himself.

I thought Janel's paso was the best dance of the night. I've been underwhelmed by the Argentine Tangos this season and was underwhelmed by theirs too. I liked it but didn't love it. I thought their scores were right compared to the rest. Even if the Argentine Tango wasn't what I hoped for, I do think they were the best of the night.

Agree and agree! Her paso was wonderful, though I thought there were a couple of moments that I could see Val doing just a leeeetle bit of dragging so she kept up with the music. Speaking of which -- that song worked well for a paso. And I have also found ALL the Argentine tangos disappointing this year, which is especially disappointing because it's one of my favorite dances. I like Sadie a great deal, but I really didn't like their AT at all. It seemed slow and clunky.

All that said, I think it's Alfonso's to lose unless his back loses it for him...and I think that the remaining three young women are all fairly evenly matched. Sadie may have the least technique of the three, but she brings such a...sweetness? herselfness? to each dance that I find her watchable. Bethany has clearly grown the most technique-wise and performance-wise. She seems so much more comfortable in her own skin, and with a few missteps (hated the frame dance!), Derek has created great dances for her. Janel -- someone upthread said they want to like her, but she gives off a Rachel Berry vibe, and I kind of agree. She's a fabulous performer and a hard worker, and I was really liking her better after her paso until Val opened his big mouth and prattled on about their relationship and dancing for each other or some such nonsense. Was that Maks' advice, Val?? And dude, I like Val, but this partnership has left me cold.

There is no one in the finals who is an egregious miss, so overall I'm pretty happy. And sending all my good back vibes to Alfonso (I would send him good groin vibes, but...)

• Love 6