Type keyword(s) to search

Vikings Sightings In The Media

EricJ
  • Start Topic

On 1/4/2018 at 9:53 AM, green said:

Wow.  Just a guess but Rollo would probably choose to try and diminish Ragnar's legacy any way he can because he was always insanely jealous of Ragnar.  But then Rollo was my least favorite of the original big five as I think of the cast -- Ragnar, Lagertha, Rollo, Floki and Athelstan.

Yes but if the answer may surprise us...then it would make sense that it would NOT be that right? 

Ragnar always claimed he wanted land for his people to farm - what does Normandy have?  Land for their people to farm.  What happened in Normandy historically - a bunch of Norsemen settled there and...farmed.  So the only way in which he'd be diminishing Ragnar's legacy is by being more successful at doing what Ragnar claimed he wanted to do.

Me either!  Plus, after all is said and done, I agree that Ragnar and Rollo are the top 2.

Also, I forgot that there were other good-looking Viking meatheads that didn't get much screen time because they were probably killed.  

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

Bumping this thread - while it's not been officially announced - there all sorts of indications that season 6 is the final season. Crew has said their goodbyes, main cast has cut their hair, etc..  But that will be 30 episodes from now, a long time away.  Now we are starting season 5 b and going by previous scheduling 6 a won't air until late 2019, and 6 b in late 2020.

Show is back on Wednesday. I am excited!

Oh, and this is what Michael Hirst is doing next - a TV series about the Romans with Michael Scorsese.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/11/martin-scorsese-romans-tv-series-caesars-british-writer-michael-hirst

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:19 PM, magdalene said:

Bumping this thread - while it's not been officially announced - there all sorts of indications that season 6 is the final season. Crew has said their goodbyes, main cast has cut their hair, etc..  But that will be 30 episodes from now, a long time away.  Now we are starting season 5 b and going by previous scheduling 6 a won't air until late 2019, and 6 b in late 2020.

Show is back on Wednesday. I am excited!

Oh, and this is what Michael Hirst is doing next - a TV series about the Romans with Michael Scorsese.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/11/martin-scorsese-romans-tv-series-caesars-british-writer-michael-hirst

That might be an old article but I am excited as hell for a series about the Roman Caesars!

• Love 3

Thanks for the link, magdalene.

In North America, Vikings drew up to eight million viewers an episode. It has so far had a run of six series, with 90 episodes. Industry website IMDb currently lists it as the world’s number one show, with another blockbuster, Game of Thrones, in fifth place. Hirst said: “It’s sold to just about every country under the sun. They’re showing it in Russia, in China ... It’s everywhere, especially where the Vikings actually reached, which is many places.”

Interesting it was ranked #1 in worldwide viewership.  Kind of like the Vikings invaded us all all over again, hah.  I bet Putin has a poster of Ivar hung up in his office, hah.

Season 6 being the last season is most probably the best thing at this point.  Without Ragnar the series is just running around in endless circles of betrayal and battles.  Dropping Bjorn's Med vacation voyages was a mistake but someone has to stop Ivar I guess and Ubbe is too nice to get it done and Alfred needs to age a little more to do it.  But we are into wash, rinse and repeat cycles now so end it before the cloth totally fades.

And Hirst in Rome?  As if Roman history wasn't full of enough sex and violence you turn Martin Scorsece and Michael Hirst loose in it. 

When Scorsece decided to "decorate" John the Baptist's Jordan River campsite with totally bare-chested and "enthused" shall we say dancing girls in The Last Temptation of Christ I thought this punk is about as historically accurate as Daffy Duck.  I love Roman sagas but this is going to be a mess.  An entertaining mess probably but I love Roman history and have more a vested interest in it than Viking history for sure.  Not that I didn't sit through the TV series of Spartacus where they borrowed the "stylistic" approach of the re-telling of Leonidas/Spartans turned into the absurdist The 300 then merged with Marvel Comics.  I just have to prepare myself for non-history in advance.

If you want the story of the young Julius Caesar -- their starting point, should have started with maternal uncle Gaius Marius vs Sulla instead -- you could try out Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series.  She did start with Marius and Sulla and she had a thing for Caesar who, along with Marius, got the "good" interpretation throughout.  Prepare now or at least read Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_Rome

The books have tons of footnotes and give a good cultural and psychological additive so that motivating factors like dignitas (came into English as dignity but meant more to a Roman) and "new man" vs old school patricians can be seen as prime motivation points etc.

I should also add that the slow turning of an oligarchy republic into an empire has some pretty darn close parallels in our own history these days.

Edited by green
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Thanks again for the article link.  About the last paragraph:

But Ivar exerts and almost mesmeric power over people around him. Over Hvitserk and in some ways over the audiences. You want to dislike Ivar because of the things he does but you can’t quite dislike him. Part of you admires some of the things he does even because he is a cripple and it’s been very, very hard for him to grow up in a Viking world. That relationship is absolutely central to the story now and going forward.

Just want to say I'm one audience member that has never been "mesmerized" by him.  Once he killed that kid in his childhood I have despised him completely 100%.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, green said:

Thanks again for the article link.  About the last paragraph:

Just want to say I'm one audience member that has never been "mesmerized" by him.  Once he killed that kid in his childhood I have despised him completely 100%.

I'm on the same boat. I will always remember that scene of him in the wagon just casually throwing an ax or whatever at that small child's head. Then he killed his OWN brother in a similar fashion. He's evil. Very good actor, but very vile character. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Captanne said:

The glower leaves me cold.  I am not mesmerized, either.  Good try, though.

Perhaps they should be referring to the actor Alex Andersen, who has received excellent reviews.  He's young at 24 now, meaning that he was probably 21 when he first began filming on this series.

7 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Perhaps they should be referring to the actor Alex Andersen, who has received excellent reviews.  He's young at 24 now, meaning that he was probably 21 when he first began filming on this series.

He had more to work with back at the beginning.  Now he just does over the top stuff because the character is now way way over the top and has become a two-dimensional cartoon of the former, more complex, Ivar.  No one has said he is a bad actor.  He just doesn't have any subtle material to work with at this point.

Edited by green
  • Love 1

I did say "Good try" and I meant it.  I understand what he's going for and someone much younger than I am may go for it.  But I've seen glowers before in theater, television, and film -- and because Ivar is so over-the-top, the glower is really meaningless.  Also, quite frankly, overused.  I think Ivar is giving us that look at least three times an episode since he lost what few marbles he had.

Read the Hirst article, the second or third such I've encountered this season.  And, while I might grant a meager point or two from them collectively, overall the reaction that runs through my mind mostly is, oh god - a writer who believes his own bullshit as much as most actors do!

Yeah, this has been known by everyone who follows the production for months. 

Not really surprised that History Channel wants to continue the show in some form - this is their biggest hit.  But I am not holding my breath that they will come up with a quality continuation.

Now if they went further in history and did something right before and on to the Norman Conquest -  that I would be curious to see.

• Love 2

Glad we finally got a release date.  Luckily I have Amazon Prime, but I wonder why they've decided to go that route and not on the History Channel like in the past.  I also wonder if that means we'll be getting the "uncensored" episodes that I heard countries outside of the USA got that had more scenes and, yup, more nudity that the History Channel wasn't down with.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Glad we finally got a release date.  Luckily I have Amazon Prime, but I wonder why they've decided to go that route and not on the History Channel like in the past.  I also wonder if that means we'll be getting the "uncensored" episodes that I heard countries outside of the USA got that had more scenes and, yup, more nudity that the History Channel wasn't down with.

Not fair for those of us who don’t have Amazon Prime, or who choose not to--another ploy to switch/add Amazon.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, alvajon said:

Not fair for those of us who don’t have Amazon Prime, or who choose not to--another ploy to switch/add Amazon.

Agreed - this is absolute rubbish.  And considering the final season was filmed in it's entirety almost 2 years ago, there's no reason why they had to wait so long to release the final episodes.

• Love 6

I think Amazon will have the exclusive rights for three months through March 2021.  After that it may be available elsewhere. I don't know whether the History Channel will eventually air it.  I know the spin-off they are doing won't be on History Channel, that will be on Netflix.

1 hour ago, sagittarius sue said:

Finally, the History Channel is showing the last season, starting on Saturday 6/5 at 8:00 p.m. EDT.  It appears that they will show two episodes every Saturday night.

Finally!  Thanks for the heads up!

• Love 2