Type keyword(s) to search

Vikings Sightings In The Media

EricJ
  • Start Topic

Vikings has been renewed for a 10 episode Season 3. I'm assuming not much cast turnover, but anytime they want to jump ahead a generation, the material's there for it. And really, there's no reason they have to keep following the same group (except that fans may riot if we lose Lagertha and Floki.) They could turn the show into Icelandic Horror Story and do a different saga every year.

• Love 2

They could turn the show into Icelandic Horror Story and do a different saga every year.

Gah!! They could.  But I'm kind of attached to our dear Ragnar and hope we get to see a lot of his adventures first.  I suppose they could jump ahead a hundred years or so and tell the stories of other Vikings and just recast some of the cast.  Travis Fimmel could become Leif Ericsson, and so on.  But . . . let's just see what other parts of Europe Ragnar becomes curious about, and stick with that. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I see that Amazon Prime has both seasons available for download. Yippee for me that I have NOT seen Season 1 yet ! I’m foaming at the mouth to get my shield maiden gear to join the past battles. Can somebody with video streaming experience kindly pm me on "how to" access / use Amazon Prime? I would be forever grateful.

I love watching the videos on the History channel website too. Has anyone seen the interactive “character study” or whatever it was ?

Also, they have the Viking merchandise for sale. I want a life size Athelstan cardboard cutout in my home office . Heh.

Edited by jnymph
(edited)

Vikings has been renewed for a 10 episode Season 3. I'm assuming not much cast turnover, but anytime they want to jump ahead a generation, the material's there for it. And really, there's no reason they have to keep following the same group (except that fans may riot if we lose Lagertha and Floki.) They could turn the show into Icelandic Horror Story and do a different saga every year.

Thank goodness they have no intent to do that.  I think the reason is it would make no sense whatsoever to abandon the Ragnar/Rollo lines for some group of generic Vikings elsewhere.  Ragnar still has adventures in him and after him his real life historic sons have many adventures to do.  One of Rollo's descendents (if they are basing this Rollo on the other one and IF he ever gets around to making some offspring) is extremely famous a few centuries down the line.  I think they will do that with Rollo (making him the famous one) since we are making our first moves kind of into into his future turf in Season 3.

I think the intent all along is to stick to the same family throughout and go as far as they can with them until the show gets cancelled.  Following a family through the generations is far more satisfying then ditching them and going off with a bunch of strangers.  They don't do it in novels and I don't think they ever do it on TV either.  They may add some characters to the cast slowly.  Like we already met Erlunder and now that he basically has nothing else to do with his life and no family left, I'd like to see Erlunder go to England to settle and follow what becomes of the early Viking settlement there as a minor cut-away sub-plot.  But in the main I for one am looking forward to Ragnar raising his brood by Aslaug of future warriors.

And yeah I can't imagine fans putting up with a simple abandonment of Ragnar or the 4 or 5 other main characters.  Why after the show worked so hard to make us care about the fortunes of this family?  Why after makign a show about them would they want to abandon their show?  Especially since there is absolutely no reason to do so.  There is tons of material ahead for this family to live yet.  It would be committing TV series suicide and for no reason whatsoever then to kill yourself.

Edited by green
  • Love 1
(edited)

More folks joining Season 3:

Lothaire Bluteau (“The Tudors”), Kevin Durand (“The Strain”) and Morgane Polanski (“The Ghost”) will join the rest of the cast, as well as previously announced Ben Robson, who will play Kalf, Lagertha’s (Katheryn Winnick) trusted second in command.

Bluteau is set to play Emperor Charles of France, with Durand as The Wanderer, a mysterious man who is not what he seems. Polanski will play Princess Gisla, the elegant, self-possessed daughter of Emperor Charles and his most trusted advisor.

I've seen Lothaire Bluteau in a few stuff and I've definitley seen a lot of stuff from Kevin Durand, so I'm looking forward to it.  Morgane Polanski doesn't have many acting credits yet, but she is the daughter of Roman Polanski and Emmaunelle Seigner, so there's that.

Edited by thuganomics85
Bluteau is set to play Emperor Charles of France,

I wonder exactly which Charles he's playing.

Charlemagne has been mentioned by that name on the show, so I don't see why they would start calling him just Charles now. He also doesn't look old enough to have been a mentor figure for Ecbert.

The producers have mentioned the Siege of Paris, which tool place under the reign of Charles the Bald.

(edited)

I wonder exactly which Charles he's playing.

Charlemagne has been mentioned by that name on the show, so I don't see why they would start calling him just Charles now. He also doesn't look old enough to have been a mentor figure for Ecbert.

The producers have mentioned the Siege of Paris, which tool place under the reign of Charles the Bald.

Well TPTB are making historical fiction, not a historical documentary and they already have fudged some things like making Bjorn Lagertha's son instead of Aslaug's.  And Rollo (who wasn't even born yet) a brother to Ragnar who himself is thought by some historians to be a composite of several people. 

So I guess to get Ragnar to Paris while still alive they have to snip out some French royal clutter.  So it looks like they are are quickly offing Charlemagne who died in 811 so he was about to croak soon anyway, then snipping out his successor, Louis the Pious, and skipping directly  to Charles the Bald so the Vikings can like hurry up and raid Paris already.  Heh.

But on the whole they really know how to weave the fictional drama well into the historical fabric making the best of both.  Love the writing.

And again, powers that be here, pretty please re-activate this show into the regular forum.  Every other non-cancelled show on hiatus is there.  The Northmen are being discriminated against by this action and they don't take slights kindly.  See Eagle, Blood.  :-)

Edited by green
  • Love 2

Thanks for the trailer.  And nice to see John Kavanagh -- the dean of Irish character actors -- is back as the Seer again.  Saw him as the inn keeper Thenardier in Les Mis in Dublin some years back.  Cool guy.

Thanks for posting that AzureOwl

I wonder who's head is on the ship next to Ragnar in that one brief moment? 

It looks like our beloved Torstein is getting tortured in another clip !  

They are saying another YEAR until the premiere of Season 3 ?  Ugh.  I can't take it.    I've re-watched Season 1 and 2 enough to start remembering lines.   

Just saw the trailer.  WOW!  I cannot wait till Vikings comes back.  Lagertha being awesome!  Ragnar holding a crown!  Floki being menacing!  Aethelstan, Rollo, and Bjorn looking beautiful!

But we must be patient. <inscrutable chuckle>

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1

Also, Amazon Prime just opened up Series 2 for free viewing (price included in Prime membership.)  I'm already through Treachery.  Yay, what a nice Christmas present!  (Perfect timing since Sons of Anarchy just ended it's seven year run.  Nice to see that filthy PI* dude back -- he plays King Horik.)

*I think he played a PI on SoA.  It was hard for me to keep the peripheral characters straight.

Edited by Captanne

Here is another trailer for the third season:

At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, I honestly think this show is matching Game of Thrones in the epic department.  Granted, it's only a trailer, but I seriously think it's just a good (if not better) in the action department, the political intrigue, the acting, and overall production values.  I am way too excited.  February 19th can't come quick enough.

• Love 3

Not quite GoT level, ...

I like Vikings, a LOT.

But it's no GoT. Vikings has a few story lines going on, GoT has a few times that many story lines going on. Vikings has several interesting character, GoT has several times more interesting characters than that.

I don't watch Game of Thrones cause I can't afford premium channels but isn't it fiction or fantasy genre?  Vikings is historical fiction with a lot of the historical part. 

I've heard only good of Game of Thrones but real stuff that actually happened to real people some of whom may have been my ancestors?  (Probably some of the vikings' many victims in this case, hah.  Well I did have one grandparent from Sweden.  Her ancestors were probably attacking my other ancestors a lot back in the day).  Anyway that "gets" to me more.  Sends chills up my spine.  I just don't get the same feel with say Lord of the Rings as with Lawrence of Arabia.  I enjoy Tolkien but truth not only can be stranger than fiction but "deeper" if you know what I mean.

Anyway when Game of Thrones makes it's way to regular cable in syndication some day I'll most likely watch it and enjoy it.  Maybe even love it.  But come to care about characters that aren't real or at least composites from the time and never walked the earth?  Not so much.  There is just something special about real historical people that gets to me.

Edited by green
  • Love 3

I love this approach they are taking to get us psyched up for the new season !!!

Here are the links to more of "Athelstan's Journals"  - "Gods" was just part 1.

http://www.history.com/shows/vikings/videos/athelstans-journal-sin

http://www.history.com/shows/vikings/videos/athelstans-journal-loyalty

http://www.history.com/shows/vikings/videos/athelstans-journal-honor

They are all there on the History channel's Viking website.

History Channel will be airing Season 3 on Tuesday, February 17th beginning at 2 pm Eastern time.

Are you sure?  I caught part of the Season 1 marathon last night (Friday the 13th) and all through it they were advertising the premiere of Season 3 at 10 PM on Thursday the 19th.

2 PM in the afternoon sounds more like the re-start of another Vikings marathon ... Season 2 maybe?  Who premieres the new season of their best rated series at 2 PM in the afternoon?  Unless it is some online only advanced viewing thing?

Are you sure?  I caught part of the Season 1 marathon last night (Friday the 13th) and all through it they were advertising the premiere of Season 3 at 10 PM on Thursday the 19th.

Oops, I meant Season 2 on Feb. 17th. Sorry about that, I just corrected it.   And I did catch the Season 1 marathon last night.

Edited by Ohwell

I also think it's a great way to highlight the return.  I have a season pass for the show on my dvr so they just started showing up!  I like that they aren't simply doing ads of the "highlights" but putting them in some context through Athelstan.

Can't wait til Thursday!

No problem.  I make more mistakes then 10 other people combined.  Thank goodness for the edit feature.  :-)

Off to re-watch some or most of the Season 2 re-broadcast.  The season 1 re-broadcast featured ads at least once every episode showing stuff from season 3.  Some of them feature individual characters ads.  According to the Floki one he still likes his old school gods and distrusts the new one.  At least some things never change with Vikings, hah.

Regarding Season 3 (as well as the first two, lol), I've found that the Vikings Facebook page is by far the best place for information about the show.  Videos (uploaded by The History Channel include character profiles, interviews with the cast and crew, an "inside look" into the making of Season Three, and my personal favorites, Athelstan's Journal Entries,  Turns out he's a video blogger -- who knew?!

At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, I honestly think this show is matching Game of Thrones in the epic department.  Granted, it's only a trailer, but I seriously think it's just a good (if not better) in the action department, the political intrigue, the acting, and overall production values.  I am way too excited.  February 19th can't come quick enough.

Quotes from the cast members from the video clip dated February 4th, 2015  (1) :

-- Katheryn Winnick (Lagertha):  "Season Three is even bigger and better than Season Two."

-- Michael Hirst (Executive Producer):  We've promised to deliver something that we haven't done before, on a scale we haven't done before 

-- Linus Roach (King Ecbert):  "Season Three has gone from big to epic."

-- George Blagden (Athelstan):  Season Three is really, really cinematic."

One day to go!!!