Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Episode 7

I figured that Carver's daughter was going to make an appearance. It was a lot less annoying than I feared. It was sweet that she used her day off from school to take a bus trip to Gracepoint to visit her father after hearing the voicemail message he left her a few episodes ago. She was justified in becoming pissed at her father because he was clearly not being fully honest about his health when she confronted him with the medication she found.

It is a little annoying when family members of homicide detectives get annoyed about being relegated to second place after the job. I understand, but still. Even worse when it's the spouses.

You knew what you were marrying into. Suddenly it becomes a problem? And Julianna should have called instead of surprising her father. Especially if she knew her dad was mired in a current homicide case.

It was nice to finally get an idea of how much time had transpired in the series so far. So it has been six weeks since Danny's death.

Having Tom go missing is kind of unnecessary. Why add another element of drama this late in the game because it's distracting from the main storyline of Who Killed Danny Solano? Although both Tom and Joe's behavior this episode further substantiates my theory.

Mark is still a dick. What is his problem with the priest? Paul and Beth must have had some sort of romance when they were in high school and Mark must have scored with Beth during a break or something and knocked her up and always kept that insecurity that he wasn't Beth's top choice and she's with him out of obligation. Especially since he's two years older, but graduated the year after, meaning he was always going to be a dead end.

Speaking of Paul the Priest, I'm glad they kept in the tongue-lashing, though it wasn't as hardcore as it was in Broadchurch. I wonder if Carver's bout of dizziness at the wake was real or faked in order to need a reason to sit down next to Tom.

Miller took a few levels in competence this episode. And yes, Carver did teach you some shit because you were flailing in the beginning like some goddamned rookie and not somebody who was originally guaranteed for a head position.

Ugh, fucking Faux-Psychic Guy is back. If I weren't so attached to my theory, I'd think he's the killer.

• Love 4

I enjoyed this one.  Nice to see the show finally deviate from Broadchurch.  I think it's been getting better and better every week.

-Paul does love being in front of the camera...I can kind of see why Mark doesn't like him although he's no treat either.

-I don't like Julianna.  She set me off the wrong way with her "pathetic" comment to her dad.

-Having Elle in the interrogation was a bad bit of police work by Carver.

-The guy playing the hitchhiker was unsettling and very good.

-The police chief looks a LOT like Sterling Hayden from The Godfather.  Obviously it's not him but I can't help but think McCluskey. 

• Love 3

That was a bit intense.

Not impressed with Julie/JuliANA. I get she's concerned for her dad's health. Yet to get snotty during a missing child investigation? Wow. To throw the "you only care about other people's children!"? Supremely entitled. I am sure that his job ,and the way he does it, made it hard on her to have a "regular" father/daughter relationship. I just can't believe that she is dense enough to not guess that the strained Det. Miller is the mother of the missing child, or somehow related.  

Were we supposed to think that Emmett just forgot Julie?  The interrogation didn't seem to be drug out. I read it as Julie giving him five minutes then taking off. Especially since Fred said she left "about twenty minutes ago." He asked for 15, 20 "at the latest."  I am also being Judgy Old Lady and guessing Mom didn't know, hence the skipping out.

Vince and Susan are looking more likely. Father Paul was as creepy and unreadable as ever.  Joe even sparked a bit of 'really?' when he was barking at Carver. Seeing as Ellie's the cop, I think she has actual final say in who gets to talk to who in the family.

Of course, not one blessed soul from the post office has heard about Tom being missing. It wasn't as if Susan and Tom were whispering to each other. How long until anyone comes forward with this tidbit? Gah!! This town.

I actually feel badly for the hiker. He actually seems to be lost as to how he can help more. Why hasn't a medical doctor or psychiatrist/psychologist been brought in to speak with him? It could help the poor guy remember, as opposed to barely controlled Ellie ( who was more controlled than I could have been) and frustrated Carver.

Hey, Captain guy? Try not to undermine your detectives win the middle of TWO crises, huh? It's not like you're freakin' Los Angeles or Seattle. Suck it up and drive on, dude. The media can STFU, right?

Kathy? A wake in the middle of a murdered child case is probably not the time to get into Ellie's face about Susan. You could've asked her after the funeral for Jack or before the service for him. For her worldliness, Kathy seems to have forgotten that cops are probably "working" a funeral if they aren't related to the deceased. At least in cases like Danny. So stop with the hairy eyeball.

It's like these folks simply have no inkling as to what cops are supposed to do, no matter the situation. Gah! This town!!

I was as surprised as Beth at seeing Raymond. I was glad that someone took a minute and let Ellie be a worried, scared  mom for a minute.

• Love 1

Mark is still a dick. What is his problem with the priest? Paul and Beth must have had some sort of romance when they were in high school and Mark must have scored with Beth during a break or something and knocked her up and always kept that insecurity that he wasn't Beth's top choice and she's with him out of obligation. Especially since he's two years older, but graduated the year after, meaning he was always going to be a dead end.

I thought Mark graduated in 99, and Beth and Paul in 2000?

I have no problem with Mark having a problem with Paul. The dude is creepy as hell, and he's been trying to insert himself into their tragedy since the beginning. Not just with Beth, which would be somewhat understandable if they're old friends. But giving interviews, speaking for the family, bringing up Danny's murder at someone else's funeral. And the way he keeps speaking FOR Beth TO Mark about the memorial service. Especially since Mark obviously wants nothing took do with him.

Paul needs to remind himself that Beth isn't his wife, Danny wasn't his kid, and take a step back already.

• Love 3

I thought Mark graduated in 99, and Beth and Paul in 2000?

You know what? You're probably right. I might have mixed them up. Paul is creepy, but Mark does reek of insecurity. Hence the sleeping with Gemma and the figurative territorial pissing. Though it's funny he does that given the whole adultery thing.

Questioning Lars might be violating some sort of protocol. He's clearly not all there, so he needs to brought to lucidity before being questioned because right now, nothing he says can be admitted in court. This is one of those technicalities that gets criminals off.

• Love 2

I thought I caught a glimpse of a look between Beth Solano and Joe Miller right before they found Tom's bike. Could they have been involved romantically?

Good episode. Vince, his blood, his weird relationship with Susan, etc... is probably a red herring. Glad that the reporter left town.

Left field thought: Tom is with Ellie's sister.

• Love 2

I started laughing when the kids Carver was interviewing at the school were giving him nothing, because I was like "Man, even the children in Gracepoint are cagey as fuck."  No one in this town is helpful!

I'm glad that Jack at least got a funeral, and most of the kind townsfolk felt a little bad about what they did, but I'm sure they'll get over it, once the next suspect is out in the open.

Loved the Mark vs. Paul stuff.  Obviously, I think Mark is a dick and a half, but Paul is acting shadier and shadier by the minute, so I actually don't blame Mark for being all "Dude, shut it", when he was around him.  It looks like Carver agrees with me, so lets see if this is another red herring or if Paul has something to do with it.

Vince and Susan clearly have a history, that I suspect is going to be all kinds of messed up.

I usually found Kathy to be one of the more reasonable people in this town, but her going after Ellie for not investigating Susan herself, was silly.  Ellie is working a murder case, Kathy.  She can't just abandon it.  I think even Owen would figure that out.

Figures that Renee thankfully scurries away, only for Reluctant Psychic to return, and stir shit up.

So, now Tom is missing, everyone is wondering if it has anything to do with Danny, and, finally, they find the backpacker.  Three episodes left, so something has to happen soon! 

• Love 1

Vince and Susan clearly have a history, that I suspect is going to be all kinds of messed up.

Complete speculation here, but I think she's his bio mom. Something about the possessive way she looks at him, combined with how protective he seems of his own mother. I dunno. Just a vibe. And the shape of the actors' faces, but that could just be accidental casting.

I think Julie has been taking Entitlement 101 from Beth. You show up with no warning, knowing your dad is in the middle of investigating a child's murder. You find out within minutes of arriving that another child is missing. But all that matters is daddy won't cancel his day to spend time with you. Boo freaking hoo.

• Love 1

Did I hear correctly? Its been six fucking weeks since Danny died?

Thank you for reading my mind! :)  How in the hell has it been six weeks and they are just now getting cell phone records?  And it makes holding the body for burial even more absurd.

• Love 4

Paul needs to remind himself that Beth isn't his wife, Danny wasn't his kid, and take a step back already.

See, I think CreepyShaman is Danny's father.  When he got Beth preggers at 15, Mark stepped in and married her, because CreepyShaman couldn't/wouldn't.  The reason he's up in Beth's ass-crack all the time, is because he still lusts after her.  He either knows or suspects Danny is his, and won't stop trying to involve himself in matters pertaining.  Mark can't stand him, because he left Beth alone and pregnant, because he resents the fact that she obviously still cares for him.  And because Mark takes the heat for getting Beth pregnant, while the real culprit smarms around town acting all holier-than-thou.

Did I hear correctly? Its been six fucking weeks since Danny died?

Yep!  In a week or two the police may actually do something about it!

• Love 2
Paul is creepy, but Mark does reek of insecurity. Hence the sleeping with Gemma and the figurative territorial pissing. Though it's funny he does that given the whole adultery thing.

It's hypocritical, to be sure, but (1) I think that Mark has probably been possessive of Beth in relation to Paul since long before Danny died or he slept with Jemma (2) one of my friends had a boyfriend who was ridiculously possessive of her and all the while he was cheating on her so although I know it doesn't seem logical, it also doesn't seem totally made up to me.

When Ellie and her husband were running through the forest at the end, I thought dude, are they seriously going to find Tom's body? I was glad it was just his bike but at the same time, I thought no one told Ellie that all they found was his bike? Like someone just tell her that they found something and she thought it was his body?

Heh, so both Tom and Danny wanted to get the hell out of Gracepoint. At this point, I kind of don't blame them.

• Love 1

See, I think CreepyShaman is Danny's father.  When he got Beth preggers at 15, Mark stepped in and married her, because CreepyShaman couldn't/wouldn't.  The reason he's up in Beth's ass-crack all the time, is because he still lusts after her.  He either knows or suspects Danny is his, and won't stop trying to involve himself in matters pertaining.  Mark can't stand him, because he left Beth alone and pregnant, because he resents the fact that she obviously still cares for him.  And because Mark takes the heat for getting Beth pregnant, while the real culprit smarms around town acting all holier-than-thou.

Mark and Beth's first child and the reason for the shotgun wedding is Chloe, who is fifteen and looks exactly like her father, Mark.

• Love 4

Interesting episode. I think there were definitely a few red herrings thrown in though.

Tom's disappearance: I think it's completely unrelated to Danny's murder. After all, Tom looked the hiker's address up when his mum left her bag unattended at home. Plus Joe made a comment about the bag looking heavy which makes me think Tom was planning to ditch school regardless. As for the whole "bleeding" plot from psychic Steve (carefully mentioned after we've seen a bloody Vince) - I query the validity. Tom could easily have fallen off his bike and cut his hand for all we know. IMO Tom's up to something and there's absolutely no one else involved.

Joe's character: So from a man who was happy to crack a joke with Carver and have him over for dinner, we now have a man whose irrationally annoyed with Carver for speaking to Tom. I'm sorry, but if a cop tells me he's seen the priest (or any strange person) putting their hand on my child's knee then I want to know wtf the priest was doing. I don't get angry at the cop for doing his job. I'd also suspect that a cop would have fair judgement between what's suspicious behaviour and what isn't. Joe's reaction was completely bizarre. I also wonder a bit at how easily convinced he was to let Tom ride the remaining 3 blocks by himself. Although the fact that Danny snuck out and was killed vs. being abducted off the street makes it less likely that any child is being targeted, I feel like most parents would still be wary 6 weeks on. Particularly if Joe is a stay-at-home dad. What exactly has he got to rush home to do? Walking his son to school seems more important... 

Julianne: Honestly don't understand the hate towards this character. I thought Chloe Babcook played her really well. She's playing a 17 year old people...and she's got it spot on. How many of us were embarrassed by our parents in our teen years? Of course she's going to lash out at her dad with that "pathetic" comment when he starts asking why she's there. I'm betting her mum doesn't know she's there and there's probably a specific reason that she's trekked across state to talk to her dad. So imagine how she'd feel if instead of finding the desperate father who leaves her voice messages she's just found the same old dad who never quite seems to have time for their family. I mean it's not even Julianne's picture he carries in his wallet. Clearly Carver has a habit of getting attached to his cases and my guess is that there's still a lot more to Carver's story than has been uncovered so far. And finally why would she have guessed that her Dad's co-worker is the mother of the missing child?? If this were a big city there's no way Miller would be allowed to stay on the case. Julie's from a big city and she knows no one at Gracepoint and has had no contact with her Dad since he arrived in Gracepoint. I hope we get to see her again before the show ends. I think she bought a whole new dimension to Carver's character and after only 3-4 mins total screen time I already prefer her to Chloe Solano's character...

Carver's illness: So we finally got a bit more on that. Interesting that he goes around injecting himself with Adenosine. That's messed. But heart condition it is. I feel sorry for the daughter finding out like that. And before anyone goes on about snooping...come on he left her alone in his office for several hours. What else was she going to do haha?

Next week: Trailer looks interesting. Carver seems to be losing it a bit. The hiker has a mental illness. He's not the killer. I wonder if we'll finally get to the bottom of the Vince and Susan saga. Oh and the hut scene looks exciting (they played a bit more of the clip on Craig Ferguson's show the other night when Tennant was being interviewed...looked very dramatic. Undoubtedly it'll be the last few minutes of episode 8!)

• Love 3
I thought I caught a glimpse of a look between Beth Solano and Joe Miller right before they found Tom's bike. Could they have been involved romantically?

I thought it had to do with her having just told him what the psychic said about Tom bleeding.

most parents would still be wary 6 weeks on. Particularly if Joe is a stay-at-home dad. What exactly has he got to rush home to do? Walking his son to school seems more important...

The younger boy was upset because he'd dropped his toy, and Joe needed to backtrack for it. It was 7:58, so any delay would make Tom late for school. Only three blocks away, and with so many others around, it seemed safe enough to let Tom continue on.

-- I was glad that Ellie apologized to Joe. Her initial reaction was understandable, but at the same time, with so many heading toward the school, it's pretty likely someone would have been aware of a kidnapping. It does seem likely that Tom planned to take off all along; he just had the chance a bit sooner than expected.

I actually feel badly for the hiker. He actually seems to be lost as to how he can help more.

Agree. Not excited by the previews showing Carver shouting at him. He opened up and talked when he did remember something, so he's being as cooperative as he can be.

I felt impatient with this episode. It hasn't really bothered me until now, but I just want them to get on with something and stop with everyone being so vague and cryptic. Also, I read the school kids who were interviewed as being apathetic rather than deliberately hiding anything. Well, except Tom, all the time.

Susan creeps me out so much.

• Love 1

Has Jack been officially cleared?  Because as far as I know all that's been established is his prior conviction wasn't for pedophilia, and aside from his own say-so, he can't account for his whereabouts the night Danny died.

That being said, I think we know who did it.

So poor Julie/Juliana wants more attention from her police detective father?

What better way than to murder poor, innocent Danny Solano in Carver's first week in the job in Gracepoint?  She certainly gets in and out of Gracepoint easily enough.  Bus my ass.  Probably has a car stashed somewhere.  If everyone else can have secrets, why not J/J?

And I'm supposed to think it's a coincidence that Tom disappears the same day she shows up?

• Love 1

Paul and Beth must have had some sort of romance when they were in high school and Mark must have scored with Beth during a break or something and knocked her up and always kept that insecurity that he wasn't Beth's top choice and she's with him out of obligation.

It's my opinion that Father Paul is the father of Chloe and Mark married Beth out of chivalry when Paul skipped town.

It's SO annoying when people come for social calls when one it at WORK for freaks sake. Julianna couldn't CALL her dad back and say I want to come visit, when's a good time? Like, maybe AFTER 5 p.m.? That is so irksome. Then for the cop to deliver her to Carver while he's in his boss's office? OMG, no.

Then again, Carver could have at least acted happy to see her and given her a hug. So there's that.

Vince is so obviously the killer that there is no way he could possibly be the killer.

Joe goes from being "Let's invite your boss for dinner! Hey Carver, have a drink, we're buds!" to "Never talk to my son EVER, everyone hates you, especially Ellie." The heck? What was up with THAT scene? I'm trying to see Joe as Danny's killer but it isn't working. Although I would like that scenario. Loved how Carver was all slouched down in that chair, though, after nearly passing out and no one hardly noticing even after the loud tray banging.

I love David Tennant but I cannot get past that neck hair. Please! Someone send him a razor.

So Beth does the drink ordering from Gemma for her husband. Heh.

• Love 1

I feel like this series is going so slow. The audience rarely finds out anything new in the episodes and it feels like a snails pace.

Sort of what I thought.  I was trying to summarize what did we learn this episode. 

1) Another scene of Vince and blood.

2) Vince did something some time ago, Susan knows about it, and claims money isn't enough.

3) Tom disappears--but we are clued that it was planned.

4) Tom's father attitude/demeanor toward Carver has changed from friendly to antagonistic.

5) Paul (the priest) is skeevier than before and is trying to be front and center in this affair.

6) Hitchhiker is a certified  "stressed-out" guy, recognized Danny and could explain his enounter lucidly (!) but stared at Tom's photo as if he did know something, but   either couldn't or wouldn't say.

7) Most everything else didn't seem to indicate anything toward finding Danny's killer.  

ETA:  I meant information that might be a clue to Danny's killer.

Edited by Stratego
  • Love 1

I clearly saw this time that Paul's church is Episcopalian. Episcopal priests are allowed to marry/divorce. It's jokingly called "Catholic Light" since the services/hierarchy is pretty much the same as the Catholic church so when Catholics used to be kicked out of that church because they got divorced, they became Episcopalian. Not that that has anything to do with the storyline, except Paul and Beth COULD get together if Beth and Mark divorce.

Sort of what I thought.  I was trying to summarize what did we learn this episode. 

1) Another scene of Vince and blood.

2) Vince did something some time ago, Susan knows about it, and claims money isn't enough.

3) Tom disappears--but we are clued that it was planned.

4) Tom's father attitude/demeanor toward Carver has changed from friendly to antagonistic.

5) Paul (the priest) is skeevier than before and is trying to be front and center in this affair.

6) Hitchhiker is a certified  "stressed-out" guy, recognized Danny and could explain his enounter lucidly (!) but stared at Tom's photo as if he did know something, but   either couldn't or wouldn't say.

7) Most everything else didn't seem to indicate anything toward finding Danny's killer.

8. The local schools suck (no wonder Tom ditched school)

a. Danny didn't know that Budapest was the capital of Hungary

b. Teachers leave town without explanation other than they're taking a sick day

9. Schools in other part of California suck - Julianne had the day off from school because they were celebrating St Swithin's Day or something.

10. Danny's phone doesn't have internet access (See 8a).  Either that, or he's the kind of person who likes to rely on his own memory when filling out crosswords

11. Mark's high school class celebrated its 15th year reunion this year, and Beth and Paul's high school class will be celebrating its 15th next year.

12. Jack's funeral was held and presumably he was buried.  From this we can deduce that the police figured out who killed Jack.

13. The local newspaper publisher doesn't understand the concept of "investigative reporter" since she expects the cops to figure out who Susan is.

• Love 1

I note that none of the bullet-pointed items above were "The police did this," or "The police deduced that," or "The authorities have concluded the other."

Jack's death was a suicide, so nothing there for the cops to achieve.  Same as they failed to achieve his safety from the mob.

CreepySusan's threat to have NewspaperLady raped has essentially been ignored, seeing as minor crimes like rape and drug trafficking aren't worth bothering with.  Because when you've got a child dead, all other criminal behaviour is tolerated, until you solve the murder, even when it's weeks since the death and you've made no progress whatsoever.  Next week the cops will help bank robbers load stolen money into their getaway vehicle, while still making no effort to find Danny's killer.

And what about the cut fence from episode #1?

• Love 1

And what about the cut fence from episode #1?

And the skateboarding re-enactment? And the cocaine? And the $500 in Danny's room? And the burning boat? And why does Susan have Danny's skateboard (presumably)?

I have a lot of questions that aren't getting answered. Guess all of the clues will come together in the final episode along with the shocking (!) reveal of the killer.

• Love 2

Re the skateboarding reenactment, didn't Carver say to Ellie that he wanted to do that with Tom riding the skateboard, or am I misremembering?

Think so but I'm not sure either because they never came back to it. What was the point? And this is my problem...all these random clues that are never tied into the narrative.

That is the problem with this ten episode series.  It is really being hurt by the lack of progress.  The only thing that I take away from this episode is the disapperance of Elle's kid, Tom.  A bunch of other stink was thrown in the air, that may or may not be important.  There is such a thing as too many red herrings.  They should have resolved a bunch of those by now, not just add to the ever growing list.

The only other thing I took away from this episode is further proof that Vince is a real jerk.  In a small town like that, and the fact that he is only a plumber's apprentice, where he can actually hurt his boss, Mark's business, it proves to me Vince isn't very smart.

Yes, too many red herrings. Too many clues that are left hanging. Too many odd people in this little town. We are getting too close to the end. We should be trying to piece things together rather than asking why creepy Susan still hasn't been brought in for questioning.

• Love 1

The most annoying thing for me was Carver allowing Ellie into the interview with the hiker. He's supposed to be a professional, but he lets the mother of the missing child be present and ask questions of a possible suspect? Way to lose your prosecution case, Detective. Counsel would be all over that if it came to trial. I can't believe that Carver, or Ellie, would be that dumb. 

• Love 6

Yes, too many red herrings. Too many clues that are left hanging. Too many odd people in this little town.

It's not that there's too many odd people.... its that no one seems to know anyone despite this being a small town where everyone knows everyone.

I grew up in a small town. I knew who was gay, who was growing pot, where all the drinking parties were, who was hitting who domestically, who was selling drugs, who was getting separated, who did what to who. In the small town I grew up in? We'd all know that Danny was shoplifting. People would certainly know Chloey was doing the teen kid who Danny was shoplifting with. Everyone would have known the jist of Jack's sob story about the wife, the rape, and the dead son because that stuff gets *known*. Likewise Gemma scoring coke.

In a small town, these things are *known*... they simply aren't talked about openly. There's no way Elly born and raised there wouldn't know the town's dark side. There's no way the entire town wouldn't be talking about Mark and the priest and their relationship with the wife. It fails for me in this respect because they keep insisting its such a small town and yet its completely huge - I mean, they have cops, actual police officers, an entire trailer park and people who don't seem to live in town. there's hundreds of people in the town but the lone church seems about the size of the church on Little House on the Prairie. Its all off.

• Love 5

At this point I'm impatient and annoyed.   It feels like being stuck on hold while music plays.

It drives me nuts the way no one will listen to the psychic, how they shove him away, run him off, etc., when obviously he knows something.   I mean, if a stranger comes up to me and starts talking about a painful, intimate episode of mine, saying things he couldn't possibly know, things known only to me and someone who's dead, I'm not going to act all scandalized and threaten him with arrest, etc.   I'm probably going to say, "Tell me more."

But people on TV are all "fuck off, swami!"    It's the default reaction anytime a psychic shows up on a crime drama.  Don't they know the rule that psychics on crime shows are always at least partially right?   There's never a psychic in a crime drama who gets it ALL wrong.

Maybe the Miller kid killed Danny over his cell phone.   Or is that too much like real life?

• Love 2

And the skateboarding re-enactment? And the cocaine? And the $500 in Danny's room? And the burning boat? And why does Susan have Danny's skateboard (presumably)?

I have a lot of questions that aren't getting answered. Guess all of the clues will come together in the final episode along with the shocking (!) reveal of the killer.

Which is why I'm going to skip the rest of the series until the last 10 minutes or so of the last episode.  I'm sick of getting jerked around by a town full of jerks and there haven't been enough payoffs along the way.  Just a lot of useless crap thrown in the water to keep things muddy until the supposedly shocking ending.   

• Love 2

It's not that there's too many odd people.... its that no one seems to know anyone despite this being a small town where everyone knows everyone..

...Its all off.

Excellent description of life in a small town. I grew up in one and live in a different one. I agree that the writing is failing in this sense.

Alternatively, isn't it also a tourist attraction...a place where visitors come to see whales? We hear Gemma complain that her hotel is empty because of the publicity surrounding Danny's murder. Beth works at the Visitors Bureau (I think). Seeing strangers in town shouldn't be so strange, right?

But people on TV are all "fuck off, swami!"    It's the default reaction anytime a psychic shows up on a crime drama.  Don't they know the rule that psychics on crime shows are always at least partially right?   There's never a psychic in a crime drama who gets it ALL wrong.

Well said. Did the psychic just wander into this supposedly small town? Why is he able to ring doorbells around town and report his visions?

Which is why I'm going to skip the rest of the series until the last 10 minutes or so of the last episode.  I'm sick of getting jerked around by a town full of jerks and there haven't been enough payoffs along the way.  Just a lot of useless crap thrown in the water to keep things muddy until the supposedly shocking ending.   

Yes - the payoffs are few and far between. The depiction of the police is particularly annoying. In one episode, there is a group of cops staring at a large board with photos of suspects, etc. Two episodes later, we learn that "funding is being pulled" or some such nonsense because this hard-working bunch of detectives hasn't solved the murder...in six weeks time. The only efforts that I saw requiring any amount of funding was the skateboarding re-enactment that has yet to have a purpose. Were the other cops on loan from neighboring communities?

This is supposed to be a murder mystery. With three episodes left, we shouldn't still be thinking that "everyone is a suspect." I don't see much real detective work going on lately other than the interview of the hiker. (I agree that Ellie would never have been allowed in the interview.) What does that chief of police actually do? If its a small town where everyone knows everyone, wouldn't he also be actively involved in the investigation? Or perhaps he should focus on those that are buying and selling cocaine. 

I'm not expecting much from the finale. Presumably, the murder will be solved with Carver and Ellie in a tense standoff in a dark room somewhere (probably the cabin that no one has discussed since episode 2). The murderer - someone we would not have expected - will describe their crime in detail before being shot to death. Ellie will be shocked. Carver will shake his head knowingly. 

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 2

Did I miss something or has it not been established what the connection is between Vince and Susan?  Besides both being shady as hell?  They must be related.

I dunno.  I think I disagree with those posters who think we should be getting answers and eliminating suspects.  3 more hours is a lot of time.  I think I'd rather keep the suspect pool large for at least one more hour and have the finale be one with breakneck pacing and a jawdropping reveal.  A filler episode like this may be frustrating to watch, but perhaps we are getting subtle clues that will become clear by the finale.  I kind of like changing my mind from week to week as to who I think dunnit.  Last week I was guessing creepy Vince, this week I'm back to creepy Paul, but I'm starting to think maybe Tom did it.  The kid is certainly working on his Junior Creep badge.

It kind of pissed me off the way Paul and other townies were blaming Carver for Jack's suicide.  Certainly the police could have done more to protect him but it was Jack's supposed friends and neighbors, people who had known him for years, who hounded him to his death, not the out of town detective who was limited as to what he could say regarding Jack's past arrest.

• Love 4

It's my opinion that Father Paul is the father of Chloe and Mark married Beth out of chivalry when Paul skipped town.

It's SO annoying when people come for social calls when one it at WORK for freaks sake. Julianna couldn't CALL her dad back and say I want to come visit, when's a good time? Like, maybe AFTER 5 p.m.? That is so irksome. Then for the cop to deliver her to Carver while he's in his boss's office? OMG, no.

Then again, Carver could have at least acted happy to see her and given her a hug. So there's that.

Vince is so obviously the killer that there is no way he could possibly be the killer.

I think that Chloe is definitely the daughter of Beth and Mark because she looks very Hispanic, like Mark.  However, I have questioned whether or not Danny is Pastor Paul's son because of the way he was looking at his pic and touching it.  Very strange.  I've also thought that maybe Paul is the father of Beth's unborn child.  So many unanswered questions.  

I agree that Vince can't be the killer because it's so obvious, and it's the same with Susan.  I hope we get some answers in episode 8.  I'm still trying to figure out the purpose in Tom being missing.  

Edited by Sammich63
  • Love 1

Were the other cops on loan from neighboring communities?

Yes.

I mean, if a stranger comes up to me and starts talking about a painful, intimate episode of mine, saying things he couldn't possibly know, things known only to me and someone who's dead, I'm not going to act all scandalized and threaten him with arrest, etc.   I'm probably going to say, "Tell me more."

People IRL react differently to a stranger who might know intimate details about their life. He knew something about Carver's Rosemont victim's necklace (I think she is the one in his wallet photo). But a knee-jerk reaction from SOME is to say "GET OUT OF HERE!" Heck, some will say it to people who don't claim to be psychic. They just can't listen to it. However, Beth did listen to him, and did so again about Tom being "hurt."

I think I disagree with those posters who think we should be getting answers and eliminating suspects.  3 more hours is a lot of time.  I think I'd rather keep the suspect pool large for at least one more hour and have the finale be one with breakneck pacing and a jawdropping reveal.  A filler episode like this may be frustrating to watch, but perhaps we are getting subtle clues that will become clear by the finale.  I kind of like changing my mind from week to week as to who I think dunnit.  Last week I was guessing creepy Vince, this week I'm back to creepy Paul, but I'm starting to think maybe Tom did it.

I agree. Watch a Miss Marple two-hour Masterpiece and the first one hour, 45 minutes is full of misdirection. Then the murderer is revealed in the next five minutes, then the last five minutes explains why none of us watchers could figure out the plot twists. (The last 10 minutes are PBS commercials.) What fun would Gracepoint be if we were shown Danny being murdered and then nine episodes of Carver/Ellie trying to figure out what we already know? Everyone would be griping about how they can't figure out what we know! Complainers about red herrings maybe should wait until the series is over, then binge watch to alleviate their frustration.

Did I miss something or has it not been established what the connection is between Vince and Susan?

Not established yet, but I wonder if Susan is Vince's real mom who is keeping a watch on him and his adopted mom who is becoming senile. They ARE both creepy. Maybe creepy is hereditary.

8. The local schools suck (no wonder Tom ditched school)

a. Danny didn't know that Budapest was the capital of Hungary

b. Teachers leave town without explanation other than they're taking a sick day
9. Schools in other part of California suck - Julianne had the day off from school because they were celebrating St Swithin's Day or something.
10. Danny's phone doesn't have internet access (See 8a).  Either that, or he's the kind of person who likes to rely on his own memory when filling out crosswords

8. a. Ask all the kids Danny's age you know and my guess is most if not all of them won't even know Hungary is a country much less where it is located much less what its capitol is. Heck, most adults don't know. b. Teaching is a job. You can call in sick. You don't have to give your "boss" or anyone else your agenda for the day. In fact, most people who call in sick to work are not REALLY sick, except maybe sick-of-work and need/want a day off for whatever.

9. Schools in different parts of the country have different days off. Try "Pulaski Day" in Chicago.

10. I can't get Internet access in much of my small town. How good is the wifi on an ocean cliff in a small vacation town? Plus I've never accessed Internet via a phone. Danny's "fancy" phone might not have been with him. PLUS ... as one who enjoys crosswords, it's cheating to look up your answers. Why bother taking a smartness test if you are going to take it open book? Crosswords are tests of knowledge and skill in deciphering word puns.

I'm wondering if Tom took off on his bike to hide something related to Danny's murder. His backpack was "heavy." How twisted would that be if he were the murderer? Except if he were, he would have already deleted those text and computer messages. So ... never mind.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

This show is not very well written.

I don't give a damn about Tom, the creepy kid. Hope he is dead too. 

Trailer lady does not impress me. And I know the actress is supposed to be a big shot, but I really don't care and don't see it

Agree with all the points made here about the well, everything

But this is what is bothering me the most:

WTF Show! Six weeks and Danny's body has not been released? 

• Love 3

They were from R. Tyler, D. Noble, and Martha Jones :D (Martha Jones' "message" was regarding Sally Sparrow.)

This is over my head. Explain, please? And thank you!

Six weeks and Danny's body has not been released?

Somewhere there is a really cold storage room, and probably not in the teeny tiny town of Gracepoint. Maybe Dany's in Vince's freezer, inside his locked garage?

• Love 1

I noticed one more thing: Gracepoint is a small town with a small police department. Somehow they manage to have all these desk people working on…?

Not enough people to work on a case, and only one because although I think Nick Nolte's character committed suicide, his death should have been investigated, the cocaine changing hands but there is no time of that now, trailer lady harassing people, but this needs to wait. Yet, all the people moping around the police department

• Love 2

although I think Nick Nolte's character committed suicide, his death should have been investigated

While we viewers were shown Nolte walked into the ocean and assumed he drowned (drown? drownd? drown-ed?)  himself, the police don't know that. Unless he left a note, which was never revealed to viewers, his death could have been a homicide, especially given the mob-mentality of the town folk. Just like Danny's death could have been an accident and NO ONE MURDERED HIM! He stole that boat to take to where he hid his coke stash on some island, fell and hit his head as he was getting off the boat, and washed up later on the beach. So his drug-dealing partner Tom had to burn the boat.

So, surprise! No one is the murderer! Wouldn't that be the biggest red herring of all?

• Love 4

Starting to think the Millers' toddler is behind the whole thing. I mean at this point, why the hell not?

Wait till the police uncover this prophecy:

When Father Paul returns to Gracepoint

And a whale tail rips the sky

And Detective Carver's blood pressure rises

Then you and I must die

From his morning nap, He rises

Creating suspects behind each door

Turning man against his brother

Till man exists, no more.

Someone shave the kid's head and look for 666.

• Love 4

7 episodes in and I don't know anyone's names. I don't hate this show, but it could be done better and I think I will track down the original to compare when this is over.  I do hate so many of the characters' actions.

Dead-kid's-mother shouldn't have told cop's-husband what a psychic said. I mean. ugh.  MAYBE if you think the psychic had good info to tell a different cop from the mother of the missing boy, but to inflict that kind of drama on a grieving father? Hello, shouldn't you know how crappy it felt since you lost your son just a few weeks ago? That that kind of info hurts, not helps? 

I still don't know who I think did it and I don't know if missing kid is missing in a solid way related to dead kid.

• Love 2

Wasn't he strangled to death by a pair of hands?

Okay, this cracked me up because right away I went to an image from The Beast with Five Fingers (1946). Now THAT would be a real red herring, one we won't see until the finale, when The Hand is cornered in the rental beach cabin and attacks Miller, and Carver has to save her! (It was in Tom's backpack after he steals it from Vince's garage freezer.)

The writer and star are both from Doctor Who, so I'm assuming they're Doctor Who characters.  Just googled one- yep.

Thanks Winston. Good catch. I'm guessing there are more Easter eggs for those in the know. And I did notice some GINGER in Tennant's hair this week!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

... as one who enjoys crosswords, it's cheating to look up your answers. Why bother taking a smartness test if you are going to take it open book?.

All true, but if you don't want help doing your crossword, why ask a random backpacker about Hungary's capital.

• Love 1