Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 11/03/14

Athena
  • Start Topic

Mo 11/3: Kerry Washington, Joy Behar
Tu 11/4: Martin Short, John Leguizamo, the latest castoffs from "Dancing with the Stars"
We 11/5: George Stephanopoulos, Stevie Wonder, Oscar De La Hoya
Th 11/6: Cedric the Entertainer, Culture Club
Fr 11/7: Lisa Kudrow

I enjoyed seeing Joy.  Nothing earth-shaking, but I like her, always have, so it was nice to see her.

Didn't John Leguizamo JUST appear on the show a few weeks ago?  Like October 10th?  (I was getting ready to come home after three months away and had a chance to watch that particular show, which is why I remember his appearance.)

Note to people with Comcast DVRs who have The View set to record daily -- for some reason, the DVR isn't picking up the new shows this week, so I had to set mine manually.

• Love 1

I'm really curious to what Rosie thinks about the Lena Dunham/molestation controversy so I hope it becomes a hot topic.  She is so sensitive to the issue, and if Lena was a man I don't think she'd be given such a pass by some people.

It was nice to see Joy but her schtick is so tired.  

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 1

The uncle is the "house hairdresser" for The Social & does guest spots showing people how to braid hair, etc.  The only thing I noticed about him was that he has a tattoo on his left hand which is the shape of a gun, but the barrel looks like a penis.  Not very appropriate for daytime T.V.  Just sayin'.

• Love 2

Popcorn and glasses of "wine" during a morning interview where they're sitting on stools? Really? Who thought that would be a good idea??

I like Joy very much, but her comedy not so much. I remember her act going back to the 80s. I didn't think she was all that funny then, and sadly she's basically been doing the same tired schtick ever since. She's always struck me as the type who was funny at faculty cocktail parties and convinced herself she could parlay that into a professional career as a comic. Somehow she managed to do it but it's a mystery to me how. Oh well. It was nice to see her again. Her grandson is a cutie.

Edited by TribbleTrouble
  • Love 7

Is it just me, or has Whoopi stopped with the uh-huhs??? (If she has, we'll really have to dig deep to complain about the show. LOL.)

Unfortunately not. She was doing it a lot while Rosie P was talking during Hot Topics.

I like Nicholle, but her touting the female Republican candidates for no other reason than their gender really angered me. The Joni Ernst woman she mentioned wants to outlaw IUDs (along with other batshit crazy positions). She's no friend of women. I wish the other panelists were knowledgeable enough to counter Nicholle's recommendation more strongly.

Edited by marny
  • Love 8

Not much to say about today's episode.  Other than the whole elephant-in-the-room moment when they were discussing commercials that make them uncomfortable and Nicolle brings up a commercial for Lena Dunham's Girls  as an example.  Nobody is touching this Lena Dunham controversy.  I have yet to see any show take it on as a hot topic or a discussion.  Hmmm..

Randoms:  I have heard Rosie O'Donnell call Martin Short her favourite comedian before, calling him the funniest person in her opinion.  And I still have a giant crush on Nicolle's hair and her gorgeous dresses.  The dreaded thigh high grey suede boots haven't made an appearance recently. 

• Love 2

Unfortunately Nicole Wallace also thinks Barbara Comstock in Virginia,  supporter of transvaginal probes, limiting women's options to healthcare and loose gun control advocate should be voted in because of her gender.  I was disappointed that she brought that name up when Elizabeth Warren was on the show.  Nicole talks reasonable on the show but pushing these extreme women is making her look like a wolf in sheeps clothing.

• Love 8

What the Hell is so funny that Whoopi can't gather herself to get an announcement that Nicole will be reporting on election?? And no she has not stopped the ah huh, yes ah um  while someone is talking. So irritating

It's just Whoopi trying to divert attention away from Nicolle!!!  Also, I guess my ears are just wishful thinking!!!

• Love 3

As disappointed as I am that Nicolle seems to be endorsing (in a small way) some pretty awful women candidates, I think her point is that she's just glad to see ANY remotely viable Republican female candidates in some important races. If she herself were voting in a Republican primary, I don't think someone so ridiculously extreme as Ernst would get her vote at all, at least I hope not. But as a commentator, since the field of available female federal ticket candidates is so small, she doesn't have many options to choose from when specifically asked to name Republican women candidates. I don't know...I could easily be completely wrong on this point, but that's just my general impression.

On a happier note, I adore Martin Short. All the show business silliness aside, he's always seemed to me to be such a genuinely sweet man.

• Love 4

I might be wrong but I don't think Nicolle is 'supporting'  Comstock (VA)  or Ernst (IA) because of their gender but rather their party.  If the RNC goal is to gain control of the US Senate, then her support of Ernst makes sense from a political view.  Comstock winning would keep that congressional seat in Republican control.  

Yesterday, much to my delight,  RosieP responded to yet another of Whoopi's raunchy conversation stopping comments [something about NYC firemen and her "rickey old loins." ] by saying, "You always go there."   Today, much to my dismay, they all got in the gutter with Whoopi to talk about the aesthetic's of penises. Ugh.   Maybe they thought, why fight it?  Maybe they feel like Whoopi is the leader since she treats them like sidekicks on her own show?   So instead of these three smart, professional women elevating the conversation [as I'd hoped] Whoopi managed to drag the whole thing down to "where she's most comfortable" which is how she answered RosieP's comment yesterday.   Either way, that's where I tuned out.

edited to add, I was composing my post while Tribble Trouble posted about Nicolle's mention of Ernst so,  what she said. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 4

All that chuckling and the fact that Nicolle was nowhere to be seen at her usual appointment time this morning on Morning Joe makes me wonder if her gig is up over there... given that she'll be part of the team covering the elections this evening on ABC.  We'll have to see?

I'm not familiar with Barbara Comstock but Joni Ernst has what I consider some pretty extreme views as well, but as a Republican, (did you know that Nicolle is a Republican?) I expect her to support her party on a day like to day.  And I'm free to disagree with her, just as everyone else is.  She was supposed to name four female Republicans and stuck with Joni Ernst today.  She also very softly stuck in some other Republican talking points, I don't remember what they are but I deleted the show from my DVR.  On any day, I would still prefer her to the shrill, uninformed, rapid (or is that rabid?) repetition that we got with Bitsy.  She also expressed some really moderate opinions too.  I'll continue to contend that she is a moderate Republican.  There are so few around anymore, laughs, they are hard to recognize them in the wild anymore.

• Love 5

As disappointed as I am that Nicolle seems to be endorsing (in a small way) some pretty awful women candidates, I think her point is that she's just glad to see ANY remotely viable Republican female candidates in some important races. If she herself were voting in a Republican primary, I don't think someone so ridiculously extreme as Ernst would get her vote at all, at least I hope not. But as a commentator, since the field of available female federal ticket candidates is so small, she doesn't have many options to choose from when specifically asked to name Republican women candidates. I don't know...I could easily be completely wrong on this point, but that's just my general impression.

Joni Ernst won giving Republicans control of the Senate. Guess Nicolle is having a good night. The country, not so much...

• Love 10

If she herself were voting in a Republican primary, I don't think someone so ridiculously extreme as Ernst would get her vote at all, at least I hope not.

I don't know...I could easily be completely wrong on this point, but that's just my general impression.

Nicolle may be trying to come off as a sweet moderate Republican on this show but make no mistake, she is very much a right winger who has and does staunchly support extremists like Joni Ernst and other candidates who are just as nutty as her. I've seen her enough on other shows to know that her View facade is just that - a facade.

• Love 7

It was interesting to watch RosieO, the mother of two boys, be SO adamant about the "hideous" male penis that "no one wants to see." Maybe she should have explained that SHE personally doesn't want to see one...or any.  Men love their peniiiiii. They don't need a woman...especially a woman who prefers women sexually, bashing their most precious private part.   Good for RosieP for trying to get in an opposing opinion.  

• Love 2

Reminder: Don't tweet Whoopi because she doesn't care what you think! We know Whoopi, we know.

What a shame. Is Whoopi the only one on the panel entitled to be passionate about her views? Why is Rosie O holding back? 

• Love 9

Reminder: Don't tweet Whoopi because she doesn't care what you think! We know Whoopi, we know.

It's fine that Whoopi doesn't care what viewers think.  But she would be wise to remember it's just as easily for viewers to not give a shit what she thinks and turn off the View.  Her know-it-all attitude is insufferable.  I do think she is smart woman but nearly as smart as she thinks she is.  She is very narrow-minded in her views.  She seems to only see things from her perspective.  I do not feel any empathy from her at all.  IMO she is someone who thinks "I got mine and I don't care about anyone else."  Her constant tirades against taxes irks me.  She didn't grow up rich.  She was a single mother on welfare if I'm not mistaken.  She benefitted from tax dollars but now that she is part of the 1% she doesn't want anyone to take any of her money.  Maybe instead of worrying about the government taking her money she should start looking at all the family members living off her.

• Love 13

Catching up on recorded shows and just watched Monday's show and it was fun and entertaining. Martin Short was charming, but he's told that Johnny Carson poker party story before. The penis discussion was hysterical and I've had similar talks with my girlfriends. rosie P"s aside ( "William Dafoe, you are blessed") was fabulous. Interesting election and Obama related discussions at the top of the show.

Whoopi says she doesn't care and don't tweet her. Guess what, Whoop. I am a strong woman too and I don't care what you think, either. You are certainly not going to tell me what to do. I'll tweet you if I feel like it and I don't care to listen to you. Afford us the same respect you demand. Like it or get off the show. :)

• Love 13

What a shame. Is Whoopi the only one on the panel entitled to be passionate about her views? Why is Rosie O holding back? 

I call Bullshit on Whoopi not caring.   If she truly didn't care, she wouldn't have a Twitter account, wouldn't read what people write.   

She acts like she's entitled to express HER views because she's on TV.  Other people (us normal, non-famous nobodies) don't have that forum -   we have this website, twitter, facebook, etc.  

My personal opinion on Whoopi is that she has had several acting roles where she plays the "wise sage".  She's learned to deliver certain opinions as though they are TRUTHS, she delivers her opinions as though she is Gandhi, Buddha, Moses.  It's the way she says it like "this is what I know to be true".  And she's used to people accepting her in that role.    

Being on TV every day has shown that it's a facade, an acting role, that she's incorporated into her own persona.   She's not that wise person, her opinions aren't TRUE - they're just her opinions.  She's not the smartest, wisest, most experienced person around.  She needs to stop acting like she is.  

• Love 16

My personal opinion on Whoopi is that she has had several acting roles where she plays the "wise sage".  She's learned to deliver certain opinions as though they are TRUTHS, she delivers her opinions as though she is Gandhi, Buddha, Moses.  It's the way she says it like "this is what I know to be true".  And she's used to people accepting her in that role.

I've always thought of this as Charlton Heston syndrome.  Judging by his frequent appearances on Politically Incorrect and for the NRA, he seemed to think playing Moses in The Ten Commandments was typecasting.  And you know who else acted like that?  Barbara Walters!

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 11

It was interesting to watch RosieO, the mother of two boys, be SO adamant about the "hideous" male penis that "no one wants to see." Maybe she should have explained that SHE personally doesn't want to see one...or any.  Men love their peniiiiii. They don't need a woman...especially a woman who prefers women sexually, bashing their most precious private part.   Good for RosieP for trying to get in an opposing opinion.  

I agree. This seems like a recurring joke among comedians and talkshows, which always leaves me curious. Not to be obscene, but I've seen more than several beautiful... Anyway, how is the vagina more attractive than the penis exactly? I don't get it

Unfortunately, things didn't turn out so well in my state voting-wise (although I went into it with a sense of how things were heading). Oh, well. I think the biggest problem with the two-party way of doing things is it makes voting a "I win, you lose" game, making it hard to be resentful. Regardless, Nicolle wasn't nearly as bad as Elisabeth would've been.

• Love 2

Nicolle may be trying to come off as a sweet moderate Republican on this show but make no mistake, she is very much a right winger who has and does staunchly support extremists like Joni Ernst and other candidates who are just as nutty as her. I've seen her enough on other shows to know that her View facade is just that - a facade.

With the exception of Nightline last night, I've never watched any political show with Nicolle as a commentator but I believe you shok.  I'm not sure I agree with Nicolle putting on a facade [on this show] part though; I find her to be genuine and smart even if I don't agree with her politics.  Like back in the day before everything got so politicized and  everyone chose sides - I had quite a few friends and even a [now former] husband whose politics didn't mesh with mine.  

Probably because this is my first exposure to her, but I think Nicolle on this show has shown herself to be more than just a political commentator and I can't help but like her - even if we are on "opposite teams" as Bitsy would say. 

I maybe remembering it wrong because I wasn't really paying attention at that point but I thought RO said something like, "Maybe it's just me but..." about her comments on the beauty/not beauty of a penis.   Like Cathy, my girlfriends and I have had that same conversation - I think around the time of Anthony Weiner's famous tweet pic - about how "no one wants to see that."   Lol.   Still, I'd rather not watch these women have the same conversation - but maybe that's just me.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5

I loved when RosieO made the penis comment & RosieP said something like "speak for yourself", I laughed at that one!!!

Edited to add:  I HATED Hasselblech almost from the beginning, but Nicolle has "had me since hello".  She's adorable & I'm not crazy about her politics either.

Also, while I'm here, I'm calling B.S. on Whoopi being up all night, EVERY NIGHT.  Just another case of her one-up-manship with Nicolle.  She's such a blowhard!!

I loved that boxer guy that was on today.  He seemed to be a genuinely nice guy & obviously RosieP adored him.

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 4
I loved that boxer guy that was on today.

What I appreciate is that Oscar De La Hoya was able to remain unscathed as far as his beautiful face, personality, ethics and intellect are concerned.  It's often a rough sport where the boxers make money for everyone else and they don't come out on the winning end.

• Love 2

I'm disappointed that Rosie O. chose not to comment during the political hot topics discussion and instead turned it into a joke about the lid on her cup.  She seems to do that a lot when talking politics.  Maybe politics is a trigger for her and she doesn't want to get into a heated argument.  If that is true, she is not the right person for the job.  I think she could have an interesting conversation with Nicolle.  I like Nicolle a lot and I think she is sweet.  

When Whoopi did the interview on the Way Too Early radio show (or whatever it's called), the host thanked her for getting up so early and she said she's awake a lot.

I sleep very little so I understand.  You would think with her prescription for medical marijuana she would get the sleepy time one as well as the one for glaucoma.

• Love 2

I wouldn't be willing to get into an important discussion with WG for anything....she is so condescending and takes up all the time plus has the final word.

Any of the others....sure.

Seems to me they are all on tippy toes around WG, give her too much space, and there are not any sparks anymore. Although thankful there is not the screeching and buffoonery anymore. IOWS...a little boring in the HT's area.

And, pleeeeease - no more Frozen crap. We get it.

• Love 7

Being on TV every day has shown that it's a facade, an acting role, that she's incorporated into her own persona.   She's not that wise person, her opinions aren't TRUE - they're just her opinions.  She's not the smartest, wisest, most experienced person around.  She needs to stop acting like she is.  

She really isn't a good enough actress to pull it off

• Love 2

I'm disappointed that Rosie O. chose not to comment during the political hot topics discussion and instead turned it into a joke about the lid on her cup. She seems to do that a lot when talking politics.

I agree, and it happens during discussions about subjects other than politics too. The other day they talked about how Taylor Swift pulled her songs from Spotify, and were discussing how musicians should be compensated for their songs, and RO just talked about how her kids buy individual songs and barely know what an album is. It just wasn't quite relevant to the discussion, since she was talking about her kids BUYING songs (presumably via iTunes or something similar, where artists are compensated).

I love RO, and I want to hear so much more from her!! This version of her isn't who I'm tuning in to see.

• Love 7

I was disappointed as well in the elections as some are....now I'm thinking we will see what the GOP will bring to the POTUS. A year of trying, almost, with the 2016 election around the corner. After 7 of not really, no compromising, no work...lots of vacation....

Bring it on. And this show simply can't, either side or another, because they are tippy-toeing around each other trying to bond. So please just drop politics from HT's.

Enough of Frozen and boxing too, please.

• Love 6

Whoopi's lame-o argument about why "Black folks" including Adrian Peterson beat their kids was not only rude [barely letting RosieP finish saying why she thought Peterson should go to jail before she chimed in with "Except..." ]  but didn't even make sense to me and this is why:  

According to Whoopi, 50 year old Rosie P is too young to remember who Emmet Till was but Whoopi is going to use that example as why 29 year old Adrian Peterson beat his four year old - because Peterson's father was probably raised that way.  Whaaat?    Which is exactly the point Rosie P was making: "That's how I was raised' is no longer a justifiable reason.  It has to end." 

Never mind that Whoopi herself was born the same year Till was murdered and most likely learned about it from her mother, whom Whoopi has said never beat her or her brother.  Not sure about Whoopi but then I don't consider her an example of any kind of good parenting.  

I thought Nicolle's response on the topic was perfect.  I loved that she said playing in the NFL is a privilege not a right and that it was unfathomable to her that anyone could hurt a child bad enough to warrant medical care and not be in jail.   I appreciated both Rosies noting that the penalties for animal abuse are often stronger than for child abuse, but when someone mentioned Micheal Vick I thought, "Oh no, here we go."  And sure enough Whoopi  was off and running - educating all us dumbass viewers about the history of African-Americans before the Civil Rights Era. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 14

Nor this version of WG....she needs to go back to napping during the show, imo.

While that would be preferable to how she's conducting herself now, it wouldn't work with these three new co-hosts.  No, at this point I want Whoopi out of the moderator seat for starters and then if she can't stfu then off the show. 

Whoopi is the new Babs.  

• Love 12

This is my thought about Yesterday's election.... I posted it on Facebook... but I have to say.... I'm still annoyed.

The reason so many Democrats lost is because they were running like Republicans..... if I wanted to vote for a Republican Id become a Republican...... they ran away from their record.... they ran away from the President..... they ran scared..... they were afraid of what the Republicans would say about them instead of pointing out the positive that occurred under Democratic Leadership..... they let the Right define the election and they lost.

I'm really disgusted with the leaders who came up with the strategy of the campaigns...... I would really prefer my Democrat candidates act like Democrats.

• Love 17

Excellent post, Cosmo.  It brought back to me one of the few things I did see on the show today.  And that was Rosie O's comment (I think she's speaking only when she knows she has something to say, unlike Whoopi) that it was not until there were laws against hurting  animals that laws against hurting one's children finally appeared.

• Love 7

Actually, thinking about it, I don't like WG's threats about tweeting her....and I don't even tweet.

Well, once years ago to EH when she had the audacity to ask Obama in person where are the jobs?...and her clothes on QVC were outsourced to China.

The only time I've tweeted.

WG comes across as I'm right, you're wrong, and going "lalalalala." Can't seem to listen to another's opinion these days.

• Love 10

This is my thought about Yesterday's election.... I posted it on Facebook... but I have to say.... I'm still annoyed.

The reason so many Democrats lost is because they were running like Republicans..... if I wanted to vote for a Republican Id become a Republican...... they ran away from their record.... they ran away from the President..... they ran scared..... they were afraid of what the Republicans would say about them instead of pointing out the positive that occurred under Democratic Leadership..... they let the Right define the election and they lost.

I'm really disgusted with the leaders who came up with the strategy of the campaigns...... I would really prefer my Democrat candidates act like Democrats.

You're partially right. That's certainly been part of the problem for Democrats for years - their lack of spine to firmly stand behind their accomplishments and their convictions. But that's only part of the problem. 2/3 of the eligible voters couldn't be bothered to vote, and that is shameful. Unfortunately, midterm elections just don't generate enough enthusiasm, and so we end up with leaders who were put into office by only a tiny fraction of the electorate, often largely made up of the most enthusiastic and extreme fringe. It's particularly disheartening when that 2/3 is disproportionately made up of women, people of color, low income, young voters etc., all of whose lives tend to be the most directly affected by the results of these elections. People often accuse conservatives of voting against their own interests, but at least they show up. Too many progressives don't bother to show up even to vote FOR their own interests. It's depressing.

Frustration with politics and the political process breeds apathy, but there is also a tendency for totally unrealistic expectations and then petulance and butt hurt when every wish isn't granted. That's just not how it works in the real world but they don't want to hear that. They don't want to hear that things take time and that they're not going to get everything on their wish list. Instead of being realistic and participating in the process, they throw up their hands and check out, complaining that nothing ever changes. Welp, if you want to ensure that nothing changes, or worse goes in the other direction, that's the way to do it.

I know it feels that for every two steps forward the country takes two steps back, but that's what makes it even more important for everybody to vote on ballot measures and for candidates that reflect their values to keep the backsliding to a minimum. And then we need to keep our representatives' feet to the fire so that they continue to uphold the values we sent them there to represent. We won't always succeed, but we certainly won't if we don't participate at even the most basic level…the voting booth.

"People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course that's not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote - a very different thing." ~ Walter H. Judd

• Love 9

Paint a great big ole bulls eye on the beleaguered Debbie Wasserman Shulz,, Michael Bennet and Steve Israel.  I really hope that Howard Dean comes back to the DNC leadership position with his upbeat messages and 50 state strategy.  Remember 2006?

About Ro and her attention to the lid and side-tracking the political conversation, I'm with Dreamboat Annie any reaction that she had to the election would have been twisted and fodder for Fox, NewsBusters, and whacked out looney Right Wing radio folks.

p.s. Nicolle is on Morning Joe this morning so there goes that theory.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 7