Type keyword(s) to search

The Grimm Wishlist: What Should They Do?

iMonrey

I'm enjoying the inclusion of Trubel so far, but I don't want it to be at the expense of Monroe.  It seems like he and Rosalee are getting sidelined this season so we can spend more time on Trubel, and that I do not like!

Me neither. The problem is, this show is already too top heavy. It needs to be streamlined but instead they just keep piling on more stuff. There is already too much going on, and too much of that is too vague and ill defined. We have the Royals, the Resistance, the Coins, the Keys, Adalind's baby, Renard and whatever the heck he's trying to do, and I don't understand what the heck is going on with any of this, four seasons in. Throw in Trubel, Monroe and Rosalee, Juliette, Hank, Wu, Nick trying to get his powers back, and your weekly criminal Wesen, and something's got to give.

Yes, this show needs more cohesion that's for sure.  And a more streamlined story line.  This episode was all over the place.  I am hating Nick not having his Grimmness anymore.  I like Teresa, but having her be the Grimm is not what I signed up for.  I worry that this will last too long, these writers do have a problem wrapping things up. 

Count me as one irritated at Juliette for taking it upon herself to halt the search for the cure.  I am not a fan of that character and I have really tried to be.  Tried and tried and tried but it's just not happening.  Adalind on the other hand has won me over.  I am so enjoying her.  Any character that can make me laugh out loud gets my vote as a keeper.  I'm pretty easy but her reactions are little gems in an otherwise dreary circumstance and last year she saved that baby storyline for me.  I wish they would make her a more gray character that could interact with the others on many levels instead of just the one.  When this gig is over I would love to see Claire Coffee in a comedy, or dramady, as they call them.  I think she has a real gift.

What do I want?  More Monroe and Rosalee.  Wu to be told the truth.  Nick to get his Grimmness back.  Renard to take his shirt off more often.  Well maybe the last one isn't completely necessary but it would be nice.  And at least some of the loose threads to be tide up.

• Love 3

Sensing a theme lately with a lot of posts, so starting this topic for people to talk about it; we're in the fourth season now, what do you wish would happen? What do you think could improve the show?

Please note, this is a place to speculate, dream, wish what you'd like to have happen; NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Discuss here!

• Love 1

1. Since we know Juliette isn't going anywhere I would like to see better writing for her character. Last season she made a choice to be a part of Nick's Grimm life so she could understand and accept it; this season she's changed her tune. She knew what being a Grimm entailed; he never tried to sugarcoat it for her and now since she's had enough she's making decisions for him behind his back. If the viewers are supposed to like and support her role in his life they aren't making it any easier for us.

2. I would like to see better writing for the Royals storyline; it's all over the place and doesn't hold my interest. Do they want to kill the Grimm, or have him on their side? They want to kill Renard but panic when he's dying for fear of what the King will do. Beyond getting the key what is their purpose? I want to fast foward through all of their scenes but hold back for fear that I'll miss something important or interesting. Sadly this is never the case.

3. Give Monroe and Rosalee some purpose beyond being Nick's support system. I know he's the star of the show but they cater to his needs too much. Monroe more so than Rosalee; how many times are you going to be at his beck and call because you feel you owe him for saving your life? Is this a neverending debt?

4. Last but not least: tell Wu! Keeping him in the dark is now ridiculous and a little cruel.

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Love 1

1. Cast a more competent actress to play Juliette and attribute the change to some sort of fortuitous spell. Meanwhile, have the writers take a few seconds to actually define the character to even the most basic degree beyond "Nick's bland, whatever-the-plot-needs-her-to-be girlfriend" and "I guess we'll make her a vet since the actress who plays her likes animals..."   

2.  Make sure the writers carve out a clearer idea of the show's mythology (even as basic as exactly what Grimms are and what they can do!) and do a better job of conveying that onscreen. It all just feels so nebulous to me and as if they make it up as they go along, and it's part of why their attempts at "arcs" feel so meandering IMO.  

3. Focus at least a little more on creative, interesting spins on myths and fairy tales rather than these endless, sluggishly paced arcs that seem to have no clear direction. To me, that's a big part of what made this show unique and compelling in the first place. Now it often feels like any random, generic SyFy made for TV movie of the week. 

4. More of the layered, edgier Monroe we saw in S1...and far more interaction between Monroe and Nick! I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I feel like Nick is a moderately likable but (here's the unpopular part!) bland character who needs to interact with more interesting characters in order to seem interesting himself. 

5. More humor. This show isn't good enough to take itself so seriously! 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 1

5. More humor. This show isn't good enough to take itself so seriously!

I couldn't agree with you more.  That is the reason I enjoy Adalind, she makes me laugh.  And it's the reason they need to use Monroe more, he has a wicked sense of humor that has been lost somewhere in the ether.

To add to my list above, I would like to off load Juliette.  And I would like to see them get back to the fairy tales instead of just the WOW.  They really did a good job at the beginning of the series using actual stories and putting such a fun interesting twist on them.

What they can truly keep is the beautiful scenery and the wonderful houses.  More of both of those things would make me happy.

• Love 2

Juliette is probably one of my favorite characters because of what she doesn't do more than for what she does.  She doesn't freak out.  She doesn't go on tirades.  She doesn't get unreaonably jealous.  She acts and reacts to her situations like a normal (if caring and mentally tough) person would.Bitsie Tulloch does a great job as the actress portraying her.  I like that Bitsie is acting and not "Acting!"  Drama is good.  Melodrama is not.

As for the show itself, they really need to work more on their pacing.  A lot of times it feels like Nick and Hank get to the first crime scene twenty minutes into an episode, discover the type of Wesen it is ten minutes before the end and then have to slap together the climax in the last five minutes of the show.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 3

Nick needs to get his power's back! Hopefully this will happen in the next episode.

I feel that they need to return to the way it was in previous seasons, with their being a case of a week and it involving wesen (though they could do one that doesn't). As well as scenes with them just hanging out.

Stop sidelining Monroe and Rosalee as well.

Hopefully this will happen in the next episode.

I doubt it :( I think Nick will be without his Grimm powers for the first half of the season at the least.

Long list :)

Give Hank a proper storyline. Russell Hornsby is the best actor on the show and I wish they would give him something that would tax his acting talent more than detective work. He's good in both comedy and the serious stuff. The Hank episodes of season one and two were some of the well written ones. Hank and Monroe working together could give us some good humor and fun. And why is he the only one not allowed to have a dalliance with the fairer sex?

More than Monroe and Nick, I like the chemistry and teamwork of Monroe, Rosalee and Nick. I like the three of them working together. So more of that please. And let Rosalee get back to helping solve crime and wesen instead of playing house with Monroe.

Renard needs to be more devious, double crossing and bad ass.I would not mind if his mother stuck around or took over. What happened to all his scary henchmen? Remember the guy in the confession box in season one who gave him his wrath? More of that please.

Their mythology is horribly written and makes no sense.  So less of the mythology and more of a focus on fairy tale/wesen of the week.

Show has too many characters. Either trim the cast or focus on a few characters an episode and give them their due. Just shoehorning characters into an episode to give the actor a line of dialogue and something to do makes it less interesting. Stop pandering to actors or characters.

Trubel is an interesting character, but I think there was more of her than any of the other characters last episode. I get that the writers like her, but I hope they go back to the characters we love and enjoy rather than continue to play with their shiny new toy.

• Love 1

I wouldn't mind a spin-off with Trubel.  Maybe send her and Hank with Renard's mom, off to Seattle to protect Starbucks HQ from evil, coffee-hating Wesen.  Let Wu get in the know and become Nick's new partner.  Trim the cast and seed a cool new show at the same time.  Maybe call it "Here Comes Trouble" or something.

I wouldn't mind a spin-off with Trubel.  Maybe send her and Hank with Renard's mom, off to Seattle

No; send Teresa and Hank to Texas, where his Coyotl friend lives! ( More screen time for Mark Pelligrino!) I love Hank, though, and would miss him terribly. An Eisbieber winter break mini?  Could be fun. We might even meet Mrs. Bud! 

Give Hank a proper storyline......... And why is he the only one not allowed to have a dalliance with the fairer sex?

Hello? Please recall what happened to him when he bonked our {not}favorite Hexenbiest? And his ?4? ex-wives???

• Love 1

More Monroe is always better, and Monroe/Rosalee are far more engaging than Nick/Juliette, who are frankly a bore. 

The Royals plotline is too disjointed and it's really jarring to keep shooting over to Austria for a scene in the middle of the action happening in Portland.  They need to figure a way to bring the Royals story to Portland or just resolve it this season and put it to rest.  It feels like a whole other show within a show.  Plus I hate when a show takes place in some foreign location and there is no location shooting so it just feels fake.  Fake Austria...meh.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

Found this article online. It was posted during season 3 but still relevant this season which means the show is pretty much stagnant.

4 ways to fix NBC's Grimm:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/4-ways-fix-nbcs-grimm/2/

Hello? Please recall what happened to him when he bonked our {not}favorite Hexenbiest? And his ?4? ex-wives???

One was non-consensual and while we hear about his marriages all the time, we have never even met any of his wives or partners. He's always the single guy at the table. Which is okay, but mix it up a bit. Make Nick the single guy at the table (He's got enough on his plate dealing with hexenbeists, wesen, royals and resistance) and give the relationship drama to his sidekicks, Hank and Monroe.

I  liked the Hank-Zuri episode (I like all Hank focused episodes). It would have been interesting to explore a human-wesen relationship, the actress was good and so is Russell Hornsby, they had good chemistry and her brother was also great. So, of course we got only one episode of them and then it was back to the repetitive and rather annoying Nick-Juliette relationship.

Adding to the wishlist, I hope Renard's mom Elizabeth stays. I know the cast is bloated, but I am really liking the actress and the character. She just exudes confidence and authority and I can see her as a powerful hexenbeist unlike baby hexenbeist Adalind.

Edited by anamika

1. Kill Adalind, I hate the character.

2. Teach Juliette some kung-fu or something, her character is pointless.

3. Bring back Nick's mom or at least explain why she hasn't destroyed the coins.

4. Bring Wu into the masquerade.

5. Explain how the royal families work. They all fought in the crusades but apparently one of the families is Japanese. Been scratching my head about this one for awhile.

6. What happened to Vetter and Lafner or whatever they were called. Wasn't there a civil war going on?

• Love 1

1. Kill Adalind, I hate the character.

2. Teach Juliette some kung-fu or something, her character is pointless.

3. Bring back Nick's mom or at least explain why she hasn't destroyed the coins.

4. Bring Wu into the masquerade.

5. Explain how the royal families work. They all fought in the crusades but apparently one of the families is Japanese. Been scratching my head about this one for awhile.

6. What happened to Vetter and Lafner or whatever they were called. Wasn't there a civil war going on?

Juliette doesn't need kung fu.  She has kitchen fu, as experienced by the wife-beating Wesen in Season 3, Episode 10 "Eye of the Beholder."

• Love 1

Give Nick back his Grimmness, right now. Half the reason I watch this show is for Nick being a BAMF.
Remember that Monroe is a Blutbad, and he's not some simpering coward. He ripped a guy's arm off! He had Blutbad sex in the woods with an ex-gf. Now he's just a nerd there for Wesen exposition and comic relief. I hate seeing him get all scared during fights.
Trubel is growing on me, but she's one too many people.
I've tried to like Juliette. Really. She adds nothing, I have to admit it.
Streamline the mythology. I'm so lost with the Royals, Verrat, Resistance.

• Love 1

I don't need Juliette to have martial arts skills, but a shred of a personality and purpose would be a very welcome development. It would also help if she were played by a moderately competent actress! 

Streamline the mythology. I'm so lost with the Royals, Verrat, Resistance.

You're not alone! I actually don't know if I've ever seen a genre show as sloppy about its mythology as Grimm is. Even the most basic issues that should have been discussed among the writers before the very first episode---like 'what exactly is a Grimm and what are their unique abilities?'---remain either inconsistent or conspicuously unanswered. The arcs are ridiculously meandering, and I can't help but think that that's largely because even most casual viewers have given more thought to the show's basic mythology than the actual writers have! 

I wouldn't be bothered with the elimination of Adalind, however they must keep the Royals, castles, etc., to stay true to fairy tales, which came from European cultures.

Yes, add Drew WU to the Scooby gang.

Find a personality for Juliette.

Give us an update on the baby.

Explain how Trubel is related to Nick.  She HAS to be.  The actress was scooped out of an acting class in Michigan when producers went on a talent search.  They obviously chose someone who looks so much like David Giuntoli for a reason.

I would like to see more Native American, Hispanic, African, and Asian fairy tales referenced. The fly and the coyotls and the aswang ("Mommy Dearest", S3E14) wee cool, but the world is more mobile, so a wider range of wesen should be found. 

Have we run into tourist wesen-- wesen who are traveling but aren't staying with relatives, as any human does?

Maybe there can be a fun episode where Our Heroes are neutralized somehow, and the available parents band together to save the kids? The tnsion would be huge, the stakes just high enough, but the awkward and black humor could be gold!  Maybe working in that one article's suggestion that Nick maybe should have been  delivered to the palace in Vienna. The regular cast figure out some plan, but there's a flaw- something they couldn't foresee. They get captured. Either Juliette has gone as "camouflage" or is left behind as a just in case. Juliette waits as long as agreed upon and makes calls. When everyone is having argument over petty crap, she gives a speech that refocuses the parties and they figure out how to save "the kids". Pilar has shown up, because She Knows Stuff. She is their super secret weapon and everyone learns more about the state of the Royals, the Resistance, and how the global West fits into The 7 Houses' plans. Oh, Renard is there because if there is a phone tree, he's on it!

eta: I'll cosign the "related to Nick" list.

Edited by Actionmage

I agree 150% that Nick needs to get his Grimm mojo again.

I'm one of the ones who likes Juliette (and Bitsie Tulloch) but don't feel an increased role for Juliette has to mean exile to domestic storylines for Monroe and Rosalee, who are too awesome to sideline.

Wu needs to know! And be pissed at Nick for awhile for basically gaslighting him.

Renard needs to...be Renard. As often as possible. Shirtless is good, but that detracts from his true superpower - the ability to wear the finest, snow white shirts and bespoke tailoring and emerge from sewers with not a spot on him.

Renard is there because if there is a phone tree, he's on it!

True, that.

I love Claire Coffee's facial reactions - comedy gold - but they need to decide if Adalind is a viable threat in her own right or not. And proceed consistently from there.

I've said before that I don't have trouble with Theresa, but didn't want her to eat the show (or fall in love with Nick or Hank - in another thread someone referred to them as her adopted big brothers, and that works very well for me). Once Nick gets his Grimmness back, I hope they will give Theresa her rightful and believable place as part of the gang.

Also agree that more 'fractured fairy tales' is the way to go. The Royals storyline would be fine - possibly better than fine - if it made sense and connected better to the Portland action.

• Love 2

I think they have the wrong actress playing Adalind. If they want her to be pure evil, she doesn't need Coffee's comedic skills.  I think she's probably wasted as "pure evil" and would work better as comedic fuck-up hexenbiest.  But then they'd need to bring in yet another actor to be the inherently Evil one.

It would have been nice, when filming the pilot, if someone had noticed Coffee & Tulloch should have switched roles.  Too late now.

• Love 4

Rosalee, Monroe, Theresa, Hank and Renard all wanted Nick to be a Grimm again as soon as possible.  Juliette wants Nick to be happy whether he's a Grimm or not.

So, yes, she went to Monroe and Rosalee and told them to stop, or at least pause their attempts to cure Nick until Nick had a chance to process his situation and come to a decision about whether or not he wanted to be a Grimm.  She wanted Nick to be able to make  a fully informed choice.  The only way to do that was for him to spend some time not being a Grimm, so she asked Rosalee and Monroe to wait.  To wait until Nick admitted to her (and to himself) that he really did want to be a Grimm again.

Meanwhile, if Juliette was replaced, she would likely be replaced by someone who is very much "not Juliette."  So, when a strange woman wrote Nick and sand "Love, M" she'd fly into a jealous rage and throw all his stuff onto the lawn instead of trusting him when he revealed the person was his mother and seeking to find her and contact her for Nick.  Instead of acting as a sounding board, sympathetic ear and occasional consultant on Nick's cases, she'd either complain bitterly about him being a Grimm or play amateur detective (making him rescue her all the time) possibly shifting those attitudes within various episodes.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 3
I actually don't know if I've ever seen a genre show as sloppy about its mythology as Grimm is.

Have you met the "X-Files"?

They need to re-Grimm Nick and get rid of Trubel immediately. I can't stand her. They need to focus on Wesen crimes of the week again. I don't care whether they tell Wu or not, and they should either integrate Adalind as a bona-fide villain or get rid of her.

• Love 2

For me, the show could best be improved by spinning off another show featuring Hank, Thersa and Renard working with the FBI hawk lady to fight the Royals' influence.  I'd also go forward with a story that has Juliette absorbing some of Adalind's powers and personality due to the Re-Grimming potion's side effect and struggling to deal with the fallout from that.

Nick's world has gotten too crowded and too safe.  Hank watches his back on the street.  Juliette supports him at home.  Renard covers for him when he Grimms on duty.  Even Trubel acts as a backup Grimm.  So, let's take away and shift certain characters.  Have the murder suspect scandal with Trubel blow up the police station with Renard and Hank taking the fall to spare Nick.  Let Wu be promoted and become Nick's new partner when a new captain, who will not be convenientally covering for Nick, takes over Renard's job.  So, his partner his replaced by an angry, resentful Wu and his girlfriend might just cut his throat will he sleeps.

Meanwhile, in the Wesen community, Monroe and Rosalee are caught up the in struggle to fill the vacuum Renard's departure has left.

I just recently found this forum, and I've enjoyed reading this thread.  Grimm is one of the 2 shows that I make a point of watching almost live (I start watching it on my DVR when the live airing is about halfway through so that I can forward through the commercials).  That being said, I have a rather long wishlist for this show.  I do think, though, that most of my wish lists items fall under this umbrella: the writers need to make some decisions and stick to them.  Such as....

• They need to decide what to do with Juliette and Nick's relationship.  I don't just mean their marital status (but they have been almost engaged for 3 years now...), but how does Juliette impact Nick's life--and not just in a "I need a vet person for this particular problem" and not as Nick's achilles heel for Adalind.
  • They need to finally define Renard.  He started out pretty clearly on the dark side, and now he seems like everyone's father.  I don't recall that they ever resolved whatever business he and Adalind were up to in season 1 when he stuck Adalind on Hank.  Personally, I don't care if he's good or bad--or even reformed or ambiguous, but he needs to be *something.*
  • They need to somehow tie the Grimmiverse together.  We have the gang in Portland, the "Royals" who are the royals of  what?, the Resistance, the Wesen Council, now some KKK-ish group going after Monroe and Rosalee and a couple of renegade mamas.  I'm not even saying there are too many moving parts--but I'd like to see how the parts move together.
  • Adalind...they have to figure out what to do with her or get rid of her.  Honestly, I'd prefer the former.  Claire Coffee is a great actress who, unfortunately, has been handed some rather bad storylines.  I think that her character could be put to good use in the show, but not how they are doing it now.

Of course, I have a couple of other things I'd like to see:

• Go back to some well-known fairy tales--not every week, but every once in a while to sort of "anchor" the show for the viewers.
  • Keep on bringing us legends from other cultures!
  • Speaking of which....Leprechauns.  I'm just saying....
  • I'd really like to see a non-Wesen case.  I'm not saying a straight forward crime episode, but I don't believe that Wesen should have the market cornered on crime.  
Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 3

I can't believe I'm going to say this but one good thing is if they do have a kid than it would give Juliette different scenes, not I need to be in the action but I have to make sure our child is safe. Then she could almost be a recurring character who is in most episodes (the way she was in season 1), with an occasional episode where she is more major. And of course keep the child out of the spotlight most of the time.

1) Hank should have a significant other and she should be wesen.  Perhaps one episode devoted to the challenges of human-wesen relationships then perhaps she could just be in social scenes along with the gang while they are having dinner and doing non Grim stuff. It does seem egregious to me that he is sort of always the fifth wheel in those social settings.   

2) I think either explain the mytharc more systematically or significantly reduce its importance to the show.  

3) With that being said, less Renard if they can't figure out what to do with him.  I think he can be a recurring guest star as they figure out the mytharc. 

4) They have also got to figure out what to do with Adalind.  It was always my contention that the show runners rushed too quickly to make CC a regular and then had to figure out what to do with her, leading to a number of ridiculous plots over the years including the current one.  CC herself is far better as a comedic actress and really doesn't pull off evil witch.  When she tries to be scheming or evil, she just comes off as campy, which is sometimes funny and laughable but at other times is problematic in that the effect always seems a bit off.  I think there has to be some kind of systematic way to either a) integrate CC back into the Portland storyline or b) demote her character to a recurring one or even perhaps eliminate her character.  Because she has so much better chemistry with DG than BT I think it would also be fascinating to have the potion switch their bodies...Adalind become Juliette and vice versa.  BT to me plays witchy and tough much better than CC and CC plays soft and comedic (plus has chemistry with the lead) far better than BT...besides BT had better chemistry with Renard. 

5) To that end figure out what they want to do with Juliette.  First she was simply background and support and that was fine...then they let her in on the secret and since then she has been taking up too much space in my opinion without having any special powers bc she is not Wesen, a Cop, or a Grimm.  Early on in Season 1 it was speculated that there could be more to Juliette than met the eye.  I, for one, would be interested in revisiting this possibility.  My point is if she is going to take up space in the show that she did not previously take up, let's ratchet up the stakes of her inclusion.  I can imagine a number of scenarios that might be interesting but I'll throw out a few

a) Juliette is in fact a hexenbeist working for Renard.  There was some speculation that this might have been the case amongst fans in season 1.  After all, Nick met Juliette as a cop on the job. This could have been arranged by Renard.  It would also have made a lot of sense as to why she was so important to Renard beyond simply being a "control" for Nick...she was also in essence Renard's spy.  It might also explain the lack of chemistry between her and Nick as well as giving more nuance to her rivalry with Adalind. 

b) Juliette is another member of the Grimm-verse (Verratt, Resistance) working to keep an eye on Nick.  Perhaps if she is a resistance member she could even have been sent by Mama Grimm as a protector.  While I believe all Verratt are wesen, I am not clear on whether or not all resistance members are wesen.  But it would be interesting for her to be undercover wesen.  

Either way I think that if we are going to have her involved more centrally with the narrative of the show then I would like for the stakes of that involvement to be higher. 

I kind of hate body-switch stories and I think that ship has sailed with what's been done so far.  I like the way Bitsie plays Juliette as most of the time being a kind, empathetic person who switches on a cold, clear-headed ferocity when she or her loved ones are in danger.

As for your a and b fixes, neither of them fit with the story we've seen.  As to A, it's clear to me that Renard had no idea that Nick was a potential Grimm until Aunt Marie (and the Reapers) came to town.  At that point he realized that one of his detectives was now a Grimm.  He tried to have Aunt Marie killed to prevent her from infecting Nick with the usual anti-Wesen lunacy so he could shape and recruit Nick to his own ends.  In a roundabout way, Renard has succeeded in doing this, for the most part.

As to b, if she was a protector, she wouldn't have let Nick think that she thought he was going crazy when he was telling her about Wesen and being a Grimm.  If she's Verrat, she's had plenty of chances to harm him or steal his key(s) or confess her role if she switched sides.  Finally, she's been with him since he became a Grimm for most of three years (excepting the time he moved out during season 2).  The idea that she never felt emotion strong enough to trigger a Woge he could see is ridiculous.  Juliette is a human being.  She's just not necessarily a normal human being.

How about idea C?  Julia Gold grew up the daughter of the Reverand Jeremiah Gold in rural Nebraska.  Rev. Gold had a church, The Chosen of the Lord, an endtimes cult that believed that demons walked the Earth in the forms of men - demons that only those blessed by God, like the Rev, and his brothers' son, could detect.  The Reverard and his flock murdered several "demons" and eventually shot it out with police and federal agents.  Julia went into foster care, applied herself, changed her name to Juliette Silverton, became a veternarian, started dating a cute cop named Nick and otherwise put her ugly past behind her.  She retains much of the skills she learned in the cult like shooting and other combat training (when the demons rose all would need to fight) but otherwise keeps her past to herself.

Rev Gold and the cousins were Grimms.  Similar to Trubel, they had no guide to explain what they saw, so they fit it into their religious perspective, the only perspective that worked for them.  Despite Juliette's hopes, the cousins will break the Rev out of his mental hospital and they (and some of their fanatic followers) will come to reclaim their lost "sister" and cleanse Portland of its demons.

So, psychotic Children of the Corn Grimms butchering their way through Portland and Juliette having to face and use her past to protect people she loves with deadly force.  Sound like fun to me.

• Love 2

I agree with some of xman4802's ideas and disagree with others...

1) Hank should have a significant other and she should be wesen.  Perhaps one episode devoted to the challenges of human-wesen relationships then perhaps she could just be in social scenes along with the gang while they are having dinner and doing non Grim stuff. It does seem egregious to me that he is sort of always the fifth wheel in those social settings.

I do think that Hank should have a significant other, but I don't think she should be Wessen.  Having characters who are not in the know help ground this show and they are quickly running out of them.  I was inevitable that Juliette and Hank would know sooner or later

and it seems that Wu will know for sure in the next episode

, so who is left that doesn't know about the Wesen world and Nick's Grimmness?  I think a girlfriend for Hank who is in the dark might provide that bit that the show is losing, but do so in a way that doesn't involve some overly dramatic storyline--and it could go on, if not indefinitely, at least longer term.

4) They have also got to figure out what to do with Adalind.  It was always my contention that the show runners rushed too quickly to make CC a regular and then had to figure out what to do with her, leading to a number of ridiculous plots over the years including the current one.  CC herself is far better as a comedic actress and really doesn't pull off evil witch.  When she tries to be scheming or evil, she just comes off as campy, which is sometimes funny and laughable but at other times is problematic in that the effect always seems a bit off.  I think there has to be some kind of systematic way to either a) integrate CC back into the Portland storyline or b) demote her character to a recurring one or even perhaps eliminate her character.  

I agree with this 110%.  I think Claire Coffee is a great actress and fun to watch (so I hope they don't get rid of her), but I can't buy her as the main adversary for Nick.  Frankly, she doesn't seem like the most clever of Hexenbeasts.  Every spell she casts has been undone and, well, she's not exactly known for wise choices.

I do think that this show needs a real villain--and a witch definitely fits the fairy tale profile.  I just don't see Adalind as that witch.  I wish they could find some way to keep her around, but still make room for a character more worthy.

5) To that end figure out what they want to do with Juliette.  First she was simply background and support and that was fine...then they let her in on the secret and since then she has been taking up too much space in my opinion without having any special powers bc she is not Wesen, a Cop, or a Grimm.  Early on in Season 1 it was speculated that there could be more to Juliette than met the eye.  I, for one, would be interested in revisiting this possibility.  My point is if she is going to take up space in the show that she did not previously take up, let's ratchet up the stakes of her inclusion.  I can imagine a number of scenarios that might be interesting but I'll throw out a few

I know I'm in the minority of this, but I really don't think that Juliette's character's problem is a lack of chemistry with Nick, but rather just lazy writing.  I would also like to know more about her back story.  We know she has parents that she's at least close enough with to have on her favorites on her cell phone.  We've only seen snippets of her life with friends outside of Nick and Company--and the one friend that was more than just a scene filler ended up being Wesen.  As I said, the writers are just lazy with her...they've taken her relationship with Nick for granted and they've let her be completely absorbed by "the gang."  While I definitely don't want some multi-episode drama about Juliette and her human friends, I would like more insight into her.

And, please, no more body switching...twice was about 3 times too many.

I do have something to add to my original wishlist.  I recently read "The Chopping Block" and then decided to re-watch "The Waking Dead" and "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" (The Chopping Block supposed happens between those two episodes, which makes no sense since there is no elapse of time between them, but I digress).  My wish is this...that somehow the writer's figure out a way for Prince Eric to have NOT died in the fiery car explosion so that they can bring James Frain back.  He was fabulous in the role and, frankly, Victor isn't doing anything for me....

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 1
OMG. I hadn't even thought of that.Don't forget Juliette also has a black belt and can not only defeat the ogre Hank couldn't but also get the drop on a wesen and kick his ass, when he laid Nick to waste. So, yes, now that you mention it, I could see where they are headed for some epic skinny-ass Juliette showdown, where she attempts to act furious and enraged and take down Adalind. And, of course, win.

The writers have been implying some showdown between them.  E.g., Juliette's threat the next time she sees Adalind. (I laughed because Adalind is a hexenbiest, albeit a terrible one, and Juliette is a muggle.)   Or Adalind being meek in front of badass Juliette when she asked for help in S3E18. 

I HATE what they've done to Adalind's character. They alternately decide she's going to be a stereotypical manipulative woman or the doormat of every man who comes into her life.

Adalind was great in the pilot.  She needs to be an unapologetic villain.  When she's a grey/good/vulnerable character, she's used by everybody--Renard, the romani, the Royals, et al.  There have been other female wesen villians who were great (e.g, Spinnetod, Damonfeuer), so it can be done. 

Same with Renard.  He was great in the pilot, but now, his character is pointless.  Does he still want Nick on his side?  This show has forgotten about the Nick-Renard relationship.  He is probably better utilized as a villain.  At this point, Renard needs something to do on this show.

And let's hope they don't mess up Monroe and make him abusive or something.

I want Monroe to be stop being a simmer coward who has to hide behind his Grimm bestie.  He was so awesome in S1. 

And they need to decide if Nick is powerful or not. Give him powers, take them away, weaken  him, make him strong.. Make up your mind, show, and go with it. He can still be kick-ass and have a stronger creature get the better of him. That's what would make it better. Nick at his strongest being defeated, rather than Nick standing there peeing down his leg and wondering what to do. If he's defeated in that state, there's no fun to it. There's no excitement.

The writers seem to want Nick to have more powers.  However, they forget what powers he has in each episode.  Nick shouldn't have to be superman to be a badass Grimm, and he shouldn't forget that he has cop skills too.  Also, when he's in the trailing to research the WOTW, he should pick up a scary weapon once in a while. 

I think that Nick is a proficient Grimm.  He gets the job done, but he's so different from Teresa.  She relishes her Grimmness.  I never got that feeling with Nick.  When Nick said that he wanted back his powers, I wasn't surprised.  However, I never got the feeling that he was truly loving his Grimmness.  Maybe the exception was when he was playing fruit ninja.  Maybe I'm not picking up his vibe.  I just think that he's matter-of-fact about it. 

I wish that this show remained a police procedural in a fairy tale setting.

Biggest peeve about this show is the references to Harry Potter.  The Sorting Hat, the Room of Requirement.  Now, people are going after Monroe and Rosalee because they shouldn't intermix and have mudblood children. 

1. They should explain exactly what powers a grimm has. So far all we know is that he can recognize wesen, he has some super hearing that came in part from Nick's temporary zombie state and perhaps some extra strength (not sure). Why do all wesen cower in fear at a grimm? There has to be more behind it than history.

2. They need to explain exactly what being "a royal" means. For the longest time I thought "royals" were extra powerful, special wesen, like archdemons. But we have not seen anyone be especially afraid of Captain Renard since early in the series, when being a "royal" seemed to strike fear into some wesen. And he almost died from gunshots. So is being a royal just being part of a ruling family in Austria, with no real connection to abilities? And the fear is one of a criminal machine, like the mafia, and not of super wesen? I have no idea. Because if being royal *is* being super wesen, why doesn't Renard show it?

3. They need to ban babies from the show for at least a season.

Biggest peeve about this show is the references to Harry Potter.  The Sorting Hat, the Room of Requirement.  Now, people are going after Monroe and Rosalee because they shouldn't intermix and have mudblood children.

The intermix thing has origins far older than Harry Potter, including Nazi Germany.

Edited by Ottis

Yes, they give Nick more or less powers, depending on what they need for that episode. I was hopeful that as he was getting his power back, he regained his super hearing, but they immediately dropped it. 

I recall they did use his super hearing multiple times at least in the episode where he got his powers back. And only a few episodes have aired past it. I don't recall if it was mentioned in these or not.

For my part I like Nick as a "mild-mannered" policeman.  I like that he's basically a nice, level-headed person who generally tries to stay within the law despite all the Wesen weirdness.  It would have been so easy to do something like shove a dismembered Juliette into a refrigerator in the first episode so they could have another "I am a vengeful Grimm who grimly seeks to avenge himself on those who deserve my grim vengeance and I am grimly determined to have my revenge!"  You know, that guy.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 2

1. They should explain exactly what powers a grimm has. So far all we know is that he can recognize wesen, he has some super hearing that came in part from Nick's temporary zombie state and perhaps some extra strength (not sure). Why do all wesen cower in fear at a grimm? There has to be more behind it than history.

Well, they'll always leave room for more powers- and that's a given in any show like this, so the writers can keep upping the ante season after season- but we have a pretty good grasp on Nick and Theresa at this point.  It seems that when your "Grimmness" activates, you become unusually strong, fast, and tough, probably a little beyond current human extremes, as well as become an instinctively good fighter- since both Nick and Theresa become some kind of mixed-martial arts masters when in a fight.  There's a much more detailed list at the Grimm wikia page on Nick under "Grimm Abilities" that goes into more detail (although some of the suggested abilities don't seem well founded in-show, such as him having a great memory).  When he was under that zombification effect, he became freakishly strong, got that super hearing, and of course had the "berzerker mode".  But even before that, for example, there was an episode in season 1 when two of the baddest ass Wesen assassin types, Reapers, ambushed Nick at the same time and he dispatched them fairly easily before shipping both the heads back to the Royals (Eric, I think?)

And that is why everyone fears Grimms: historically, they were like Terminators, and sometimes feared assassins working for the Royals. I may be misremembering, but the idea is the Grimms were for a time historical enforcers for the Royals, and at times were sort of a Supernatural Police protecting the human world, but in any case the average Wesen never met a Grimm.  They only knew them as nightmarish but probably/possibly real monsters (much as we'd think of the Wesen, as fairytale creatures come to life, or how some of the Grimm monsters that were based on regional folklore were perceived) that kill you without mercy or hesitation, and can't really be stopped, since only a handful of Wesen would really stand a chance against an experienced Grimm. 

In this sense, to the average Wesen a Grimm on your doorstop is more Grimm as in "Grim Reaper" than "Brothers Grimm".

2. They need to explain exactly what being "a royal" means. For the longest time I thought "royals" were extra powerful, special wesen, like archdemons. But we have not seen anyone be especially afraid of Captain Renard since early in the series, when being a "royal" seemed to strike fear into some wesen. And he almost died from gunshots. So is being a royal just being part of a ruling family in Austria, with no real connection to abilities? And the fear is one of a criminal machine, like the mafia, and not of super wesen? I have no idea. Because if being royal *is* being super wesen, why doesn't Renard show it?

Yeah, I'd kind of like this as well.  On the one hand, the Royals clearly have corporeal power: they're visible rich, and Eric's death even made the "muggle" news.  They seem to be minor European royalty who secretly have also built an empire based on fear like you say: the Royals are mafia bosses in the Wesen world, or the Illuminati.  Their power seems to just come from being the heads of an organization with enough Wesen muscle and other methods of enforcement that no one challenges the status quo- except the cloudily defined "Resistance".

On the other hand they made a HUGE deal about the "royal blood" in Adalind's baby, Diana.  But that baby was just a 3/4 hexenbeist 1/4 human hybrid (since Sean was half-royal, half-hexenbeist), yet as an infant Diana had Jack-Jack from "The Incredibles" like power.  So... there's gotta be something in the Royal bloodline that means something in the Wesen world.  Maybe like the dragons in the Game of Thrones world, Royals used to be these superpowered hexenbeist types which gave them their power... but over time the power diluted due to breeding, and thus the Royals are now just coasting on the inertia of that centuries-old organization. So Diana would to the Royals represent a return to true power, backed by the Wesen equivalent of a nuclear weapon.

Whatever the case may be, I'm sure the writers won't drop the ball, and will ultimately dazzle us when they reveal a satisfying, internally consistent backstory and resolution to the Royals and Keys plotline that makes us all glad we spend 4 years bogged down with this Royals busine- HA HA HA! 

Aw, dammit, I couldn't make it to the end of that sentence without laughing. :)

• Love 1
It seems that when your "Grimmness" activates, you become unusually strong, fast, and tough, probably a little beyond current human extremes, as well as become an instinctively good fighter- since both Nick and Theresa become some kind of mixed-martial arts masters when in a fight.  There's a much more detailed list at the Grimm wikia page on Nick under "Grimm Abilities" that goes into more detail (although some of the suggested abilities don't seem well founded in-show, such as him having a great memory).  When he was under that zombification effect, he became freakishly strong, got that super hearing, and of course had the "berzerker mode".  But even before that, for example, there was an episode in season 1 when two of the baddest ass Wesen assassin types, Reapers, ambushed Nick at the same time and he dispatched them fairly easily before shipping both the heads back to the Royals (Eric, I think?)

I agree with everything here, but isn't this mostly speculation? I don't recall any episode when Hank or someone said, "Wow, Nick, you are far stronger than you used to be!" or we saw Nick do something in terms of strength or fighting that was clearly due to being a Gimm. He could have been a good fighter before he realized his powers. My point is, it isn't clear (aside from the super hearing,which was clearly tied to the zombie state) what powers a Grimm has aside from identifying wesen and the knowledge from other Grimms. That is what I wish the show would make more clear. 

Edited by Ottis

The Grimm wikia section I linked to I don't fully agree with (such as Nick's "super memory" which I don't think is well founded), but for most of it they do have clear sourcing of episodes or events that lend credence to each ability. 

For example, there was the time when he literally punched a dent into a steel coffin from the inside, when he was zombified.  How much of that was zombification isn't clear (he was apparently even stronger in his 'berzerker' mode), but it's safe to say none of us humans could dent a thick steel case punching it from an inch away while inside- not even Bruce Lee. :)  After he came down from the initial effects, he went to the doctor for a full exam, and the doctor marveled that Nick was basically in the best shape of anyone he'd ever met. 

We've repeatedly seen him fight multiple Wesen at the same time, any one of whom would have otherwise handily dispatched most any human.  Even the ones he struggled with, like the Ogre, were beating him up yet he was barely damaged (and the show made it clear that usually, it's a brutal murder if these kind of Wesen attack you).  Do you remember the time early on in their friendship, with the queen bee episode, when Monroe accidentally tore off a man's arm while fighting him in Blutbad form?  If Nick is handily beating up people who are as strong as that or stronger, it's kind of a given that his strength, reflexes, and endurance are off the charts for a normal person, or he'd have rather unceremoniously died in season 1 the first time he faced off against some of these bigger Wesen.

I may have said this on this thread or another one so I appolozies if I'm repeating myself. But I think that Grimm's are naturally good fighters, slightly stronger than the average person, good artists and of course can see wezen. I also believe that when they get attacked by something that effects them with something or they can't fight them (but live) they learn how to defend against it. So in Nick's case:

he can hold his breath for a long time: because he was attacked by that ghost lady in season 2

super hearing: from his loss of sight

zombie thing: from being attacked by that voodoo guy

The breathing came from The Baron/Puffer Fish guy that turned folks into zombies. Because Nick was " dying", he didn't have to breathe, hence, when the bad mermen tried to kill him, Nick let them try because he knew, sort of , by that point that he'd probably survive and he'd be able to use a surprise attack on them.  He freaked Hank out, primarily, but was able to save the mermaid.

I would personally love it if The Royals was just a legend, or 6 of the 7 families have died out. Renard's dad and the "royal" relatives are grasping at straws. They have political power in the mundane world, so they can cause damage/havoc to enemies still, so the Resistance is actually needed to curb them.  I hear cries of 'What about the Asian dude?!" Well, his family is one of the died out lines. They've thrown in with the Viennese family to  potentially reinvigorate their line with Royal "power", 

whatever that turns out to be. With word of the supposed prophecy child being born, they are still holding out hope that their magic can be returned to them.  Then, after something that stops Viktor and company, we can have a nice two or more season break from that. 

I may have said this on this thread or another one so I appolozies if I'm repeating myself. But I think that Grimm's are naturally good fighters, slightly stronger than the average person, good artists and of course can see wezen. I also believe that when they get attacked by something that effects them with something or they can't fight them (but live) they learn how to defend against it. So in Nick's case:

he can hold his breath for a long time: because he was attacked by that ghost lady in season 2

super hearing: from his loss of sight

zombie thing: from being attacked by that voodoo guy

I never noticed that Nick had the ability to hold his breath until after the zombie incident.  Nick gains his "reaction abilities" when dealing with certain Wesen.  La Llorana wasn't Wesen.  I though Nick's power to hold his breath came from the zombie stuff in that he goes "half-dead" and greatly slows his metabolism, allowing him to burn less oxygen to live.

• Love 1

I never noticed that Nick had the ability to hold his breath until after the zombie incident.  Nick gains his "reaction abilities" when dealing with certain Wesen.  La Llorana wasn't Wesen.  I though Nick's power to hold his breath came from the zombie stuff in that he goes "half-dead" and greatly slows his metabolism, allowing him to burn less oxygen to live.

That's true, it could be from that.

One thing that I hope happens is that Juliette's role gets defined a bit differently.  I once called her the "control rod in the reactor."  She's been the supportive, stabilizing force that everyone else can talk to and lean on.  What happens when the "control rod" suddenly gets converted into an unstable "fuel rod."  I figure being a hexenbeist isn't really like Willow from Buffy learning spells and lesbianism.  The removal of Adalind's powers seemed to indicate the death or loss of some other entity within her that fueled her magic.  Perhaps that was just symbolism but maybe not.  What happens if Juliette, a mortal unused to these powers, begins to be influenced by them.  Figure as well that Juliette has a lot of anger built up against Adalind.  What happens when Juliette encounters her and goes full on Carrie right there in the middle of the street?

• Love 1

One thing that I hope happens is that Juliette's role gets defined a bit differently.  I once called her the "control rod in the reactor."  She's been the supportive, stabilizing force that everyone else can talk to and lean on.  What happens when the "control rod" suddenly gets converted into an unstable "fuel rod."  

Maybe a nuclear meltdown?

I figure being a hexenbeist isn't really like Willow from Buffy learning spells and lesbianism.  The removal of Adalind's powers seemed to indicate the death or loss of some other entity within her that fueled her magic.  Perhaps that was just symbolism but maybe not.  What happens if Juliette, a mortal unused to these powers, begins to be influenced by them.  Figure as well that Juliette has a lot of anger built up against Adalind.  What happens when Juliette encounters her and goes full on Carrie right there in the middle of the street?

So do you think that somehow Juliette now has Adalind's powers? Personally, I do like to think that Juliette is now a full fledge hexenbeist, but I don't think that this story arc is going to last long enough for everyone to go crazy. Rosalee is probably going to create a cure for this spell and/or Mother Renard  is going to come back and either help Rosilee or just break the spell (and I do think that its more of a spell than Juliette transforming into a Wesen).

I hope that Hank and Drew are able to talk about what they  now know. 

When the subject of the aswang comes up, Drew asks about why the gang let him stay in the mental health facility. Hank might genuinely feel that it was best, especially after what happened to him. ( I mean, Hank looked very rough at the end of season 1- sitting in a dark house, in a chair, holding a shotgun, waiting for something to attack.) A few days in a facility to make sure your mind is okay doesn't sound too horrible a price. Wu checked himself in and was able to leave not very long after. There seems to be no professional blowback for that period. I feel that Hank may, in hindsight, think that was a good move and something he wishes he would have done instead of marinating in the worry and fear.