Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E05: Chris Rock / Prince

• Start Topic

"ETA: I kind of hate that this episode was so painful, because I totally support that SNL has tried to up its game in the diversity department, and an episode with an abudance of sketches putting the black cast members front and center failing so badly just gives fuel to all the jerks who were against the idea of adding more people of color to the cast "just becuase"."

Anyone that narrow-minded would have hated this episode regardless of whether or not it was actually good. I've lived through years of a cast that was begging for some diversity. SNL didn't just pull these performers in from the street. And before last night's episode lots of people were begging for Leslie to be added to the cast. I'm willing to chalk up her mistakes to nerves, but I'm probably more forgiving than most. I think the bigger problem is the update desk, but I fear we're stuck with Jost and Che, at least for this season.

I wish in the "How's he doing" sketch they'd have had courage to discuss why the Democeat party refuses to stand up for the president by highlighting the good things the administration has done. It's a continual frustration for me as a voter, but outside of MSNBC and Bill Maher, I rarely hear anyone talk about it on TV. They could have done that In a funny way instead of just furthering the offensive notion that black people just support him becuase of his race.

Yeah, that's a very good point. Instead, they choose to do things like endorse the notion that he's "handling ebola" badly. I'm sorry, but what does that even mean? What should he be doing to "handle ebola" better? Obviously quaranting everyone like Christie wants to do is stupid. Shows like The Daily Show and Colbert understand that you don't endorse ridiculous media-created hysteria about something that isn't even real.

No doubt.  And just to add...I wouldn't be surprised if this material does well at his standup shows, but he has to understand there's a difference between the crowds that are coming to see him (and who are primed for a Chris Rock show) versus the crowd that goes to see SNL, not to mention the folks watching it on TV.  It's a broader audience.

Well, I mean, the SNL live audience all knew they were going to see Chris Rock. It's made up of family and friends of the cast, lottery winners (though they are assigned a show and don't get to pick and choose, but they can elect not to go), and, of course, people who lined up outside all night, in the 40 degrees, wind, and rain on Halloween. Everyone in the audience should have known what to expect, and if they didn't know who Chris Rock was, why were they wasting their time? As for the audience at home, same thing. If you know Chris Rock is not your cup of tea, turn on the show at 11:40 or don't watch at all. The only people who really get a pass, imo, are those casual viewers at home who don't know who Chris Rock is. I could see them being a little stunned or turned-off.

To me the main reason why Rock's monologue started out so cringey wasn't because it made light of the Boston Marathon bombings from just a year ago but because it made light of the possibility that someone would bomb the New York Marathon today. And then weirdly treated that hypothetical occurrence as if it were somehow a foregone conclusion: "New York will bounce back." From what, the hypothetical terrorist attack you just made up?

And it's different from the jokes about the Freedom Tower, since that's playing on a fairly typical fear that's instantly relatable, but I'd imagine that for many people, the immediate response to "Hey, what if there's a terrorist attack at the New York Marathon tomorrow" was "Oh, crap, I wasn't worried about that until you mentioned it!"

I don't want to speak for all NYC residents, but I find myself to be kind of "prepared," for lack of a better word, for a terrorist attack to happen pretty much anytime. I'm in the Bronx, but anytime I tell my dad I'm going into Manhattan, especially for something where a lot of people will be congregating, like the Halloween parade, he always tells me to "keep your head on a swivel" because "there are people who want to do harm to this country." So idk if it's just him, and by extension me, or everybody, but yeah, something awful happening at an event like the NYC Marathon wouldn't exactly surprise me. I'd be horrified, scared, etc., but not shocked.

Chris made an excellent point about 9/11 being commercialized. Hell, the museum has a gift shop. A museum commemorating the event that a majority of Americans treat with more sanctity than pretty much anything else has a fucking gift shop. This country, I swear to God.

Also, what was with all the Uber mentions last night? I think I counted three? That's a lot for one show. Are the writers trying too hard to be hip or is it like a endorsement thing?

• Love 3

And before last night's episode lots of people were begging for Leslie to be added to the cast. I'm willing to chalk up her mistakes to nerves, but I'm probably more forgiving than most. I think the bigger problem is the update desk, but I fear we're stuck with Jost and Che, at least for this season.

I don't even need to chalk her mistakes up to nerves because there seems to be a lot more flubs this season than I ever remember in the past--flubs from vets.  Flubs from people who normally don't mess up.  I would really like to know why that is. The anniversary sketch confused me.  At first I thought she messed up and walked off stage--but when she walked off stage a few more times during the scene, I realized that must have been part of the plan.  I think it was a cue card mistake because of the way she scrunched up her forehead--she needs to do better at hiding confusion when things aren't going the way they'd been rehearsed. 

Anyway, I wanted Leslie added to the cast and nothing she has done since she has been added has changed my mind.  Just the opposite---seeing her in a tutu was gold. 

Many have been calling for SNL to not play it as safe as they have been and the monologue and ISIS sketch weren't safe.   For some reason, I loved the monologue, especially the commercialization of Christmas bit--but also the "run" punchline, yet felt uneasy during the ISIS sketch.  Still, I'd rather them try something like this every now and then. I don't mind feeling uneasy.

• Love 5

The SNL audience is still different from what Chris Rock would expect at a nightclub where he was performing stand-up. There's much more of a casual, relaxed vibe in those gigs, whereas SNL is a sketch show and it's not just Chris Rock with a mike talking to a bunch of his fans. 

There's always the saying that "comedians aren't funny." I think that many comedians have a very limited space in which they are funny. Some are only funny in movies, some are funny in stand-up routines, some funny on late-night, but you take them away from that environment, and they aren't funny at all. I don;t remember Chris Rock being particularly funny when he hosted the Oscars either. I think that's what struck me most about last night's episode -- how unfunny he was in many of the sketches. I've seen many of his stand-up shows and he is very funny in those shows. But away from that environment, he's really not funny. 

I normally lean toward dark humor but in the week that the beloved Tom Menino lost his courageous fight, I can not consign the Boston bombing jokes.

This whole episode was cringe worthy with the exception of Prince, Kate and the Good Neighbor bank robbery.

I have to wonder if Chris did a monologue that some might find uncomfortable/inappropriate or too dark precisely because of the Michael Che controversy.  Hell, I think the ISIS/Shark Tank bit might have been part of that, too.

I really don't think so. There were too many controversial sketches that had nothing to do with Che, specifically the monologue.

I liked the episode overall but the flubs were overly distracting for me.

The only Michael Che moment I liked was when Stefon was on. Other than that, meh.  I'm ready for Colin and Che to both be replaced. Give me Cecily back to co-chair with either Kate or Beck Bennett.

• Love 1

I don't even need to chalk her mistakes up to nerves because there seems to be a lot more flubs this season than I ever remember in the past--flubs from vets.  Flubs from people who normally don't mess up.  I would really like to know why that is. The anniversary sketch confused me.  At first I thought she messed up and walked off stage--but when she walked off stage a few more times during the scene, I realized that must have been part of the plan.  I think it was a cue card mistake because of the way she scrunched up her forehead--she needs to do better at hiding confusion when things aren't going the way they'd been rehearsed.

Yeah, she could have been better at covering up the flub, but it definitely felt like a production error rather than just her forgetting her cue after dress rehearsal or whatever.

SNL is always tweaking sketches prior to air in response to timing issues. I suspect that at some point there was a version of the sketch where they were worried about running long and they cut out a bunch of stuff in the middle, but that there was some miscommunication and Leslie thought they were doing that shortened version of the sketch when in fact they had decided to stick with the longer version.

I have seen the How's Obama Doing thing before as well. (Kerry Washington?) Don't know why it's back though.

They do it every time there's a black host.  First Maya Rudolph, then Kerry Washington, now Chris Rock.

Here's a different take that praises Rock's monologue.

BTW, the Moms Mabley joke in that article is great.

I've watched the married couple sketch twice now, and I'm missing where Leslie missed her cue. There were certainly a couple of times where she stumbled over her lines, but I'd appreciate if someone could point out the specific moment where she really screwed up.

I really don't think so. There were too many controversial sketches that had nothing to do with Che, specifically the monologue.

Well, no, I don't think that any of those were "about" Che, so much as the show may have been trying to go with some controversial sketches (and the monologue) to try to make some kind of point - that comedy is sometimes inappropriate and not "PC" (for lack of a better term).  it seems coincidental to me that they went for it on a lot of fronts the same week that there was this big deal over his social media posts.  

BTW, the Moms Mabley joke in that article is great.

I've watched the married couple sketch twice now, and I'm missing where Leslie missed her cue. There were certainly a couple of times where she stumbled over her lines, but I'd appreciate if someone could point out the specific moment where she really screwed up.

there's a moment where Leslie stopped and stared out towards the cue cards without saying a word for what felt like a eternity. I don't see how that could be missed.
  • Love 2

Just to add some clarification to the post above--it happens right after she leaves the stage and returns for the first time.  She comes back, looks like she's about to say something but stops and stares off to where she thought the cue card would be. 

Peeayebee, aren't you on the West Coast?   I'm just about sure they ran the dress rehearsal version of the sketch out there.  

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

Peeayebee, aren't you on the West Coast?   I'm just about sure they ran the dress rehearsal version of the sketch out there.  

That's very likely the case.  There's absolutely no way to miss that miscue; it was so awkward it seemed to last for minutes.

Edited by Fisher King

Casual SNL viewer, although I try to watch every week. I only saw the monologue from "who finishes a race and then is told to run," so I missd the NYC Marathon connection, which I agree might have hit too close to home. I thought the monologue was funny. I too wonder who would want to have spot in the new tower in NYC! Not proud of that, but I totally get it.

I did not understand the married couple sketch ( never heard of Ulner or whatever it is), except to note that they'd been married awhile and bickered.

Did not like Prince. I know he's an icon, and I live in MN, but I could not understand him and there was too much guitar solo.

I can't remember specifics, but I laughed a lot during this episode!

I absolutely died at Leslie Jones coming out as a ballerina from the Shake It Off video - "Dammit, she got me!" had me on the floor.

I thought the Shark Tank/ISIS sketch was one of the sharper ones in recent memory, and I was surprised it didn't get a better reaction from the audience.

The bank robbery short was my favorite of the night though. It was so random, but so freaking funny. I really liked Beck last season (still do), but I have to say that Kyle is really growing on me this season. Hes much more of a chameleon than I first thought.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 5

The way Rock was carrying on about the Boston Marathon, I thought the punchline would not be that you get to the end of it to be told to "RUN!" but to have your feet blown off.  That's where I thought he was heading.  Even if he ultimately didn't say it, he made me think it.

I cringed a lot.

Minor nitpick about that bit. Nipple chafing is a problem for male marathoners too. It's common practice for them to wear band aids over their nips to protect them. So making it a thing about women marathoners specifically was not only dumb but probably less funny. 

• Love 2

Peeayebee, aren't you on the West Coast? I'm just about sure they ran the dress rehearsal version of the sketch out there.

I saw the east coast version and I missed it as well. But I also missed the silent studio audience. I heard laughter and applause all through Chris' monologue. So, different strokes.

This show has almost always been pointless and semi-amateurish and I've watched from the start.

When Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscopo were on, it was good from time to time. I've heard that those shows are on permanent lockdown.

Yes I am. After reading Irlandesa's description, I rewatched and did not see a pause. Just then it occurred to me that different versions had probably been broadcast.

• Love 1

So I have been watching SNL regularly for the past couple of seasons but I can't say that I've found most of the sketches funny.  I knew Chris Rock was hosting, and I have been a fan of his work, so I know how funny his stand-ups/awards show hostings are as opposed to his movies.  I found the monologue to be vintage Rock and the funniest stuff I have seen him do in years.  The commercialization and gun control jokes were really great.  The whole Freedom Tower bit had me going.  

Most of the skits were flat.  After seeing the back of Leslie Jones' head in the Top Five commercials, I was not surprised to see more of her tonight.  However, though a sketch with just Rock and Jones should be great, the Uber/Anniversary sketch didn't work for me.  I so wanted to laugh but the jokes weren't there.  

Same with the How's He Doing sketch.  Other than the intro of the panelists, I didn't really find it funny.  I didn't find it funny when Kerry Washington was the host either.

As for Prince, I just watch to see how he is going to disappoint me.  I don't expect much from him anymore but he was slightly entertaining.

• Love 1

Yes I am. After reading Irlandesa's description, I rewatched and did not see a pause. Just then it occurred to me that different versions had probably been broadcast.

Watching the cleaned-up version on Yahoo, I think it's actually the same performance that originally aired, just with the super-awkward flub in the middle edited out. I don't have a video of the original to compare it to, but all the other nuances and minor miscues in the sketch (e.g., Leslie stumbling over "Lisa Left-Eye Lopes") match the way I remember them from last night. It looks like the flub lifted out cleanly between "When the government shuts down the cloud, I'ma have Luther" and "I just gotta accept that I'm a young thing," with maybe a few alternate angles to hide Leslie's incorrect exit.

Edited to add: I also note that if you cut out all the material from when Leslie accidentally walked out to when she walked out again at the right time, the sketch does still hang together; it ends up being a really short bit that doesn't develop its premise as much, but there are no continuity errors or dropped references. It also cuts exactly one minute from the sketch's running time (not counting her edited-out exit and deer-in-the-headlights return), which reinforces my suspicion that this was an attempt at a timing cut that went awry.

Edited by Dev F
  • Love 3

Well, I mean, the SNL live audience all knew they were going to see Chris Rock. It's made up of family and friends of the cast, lottery winners (though they are assigned a show and don't get to pick and choose, but they can elect not to go), and, of course, people who lined up outside all night, in the 40 degrees, wind, and rain on Halloween. Everyone in the audience should have known what to expect, and if they didn't know who Chris Rock was, why were they wasting their time? As for the audience at home, same thing. If you know Chris Rock is not your cup of tea, turn on the show at 11:40 or don't watch at all. The only people who really get a pass, imo, are those casual viewers at home who don't know who Chris Rock is. I could see them being a little stunned or turned-off.

I don't agree.  SNL is not usually a place where a guest comedian basically takes over and delivers his own material.  It happens from time to time.  Louis CK has done it twice.  But it's certainly not the norm.  I would agree with you if this were his stand up show.  Buyer beware.  But SNL has a loyal audience that tunes in week-to-week regardless of who the host is.  And no one is going to turn down the opportunity to go to a live taping just because they don't like the host's stand up.  Personally, I liked a large part of the monologue.  I just didn't think it was the right place for it.

Well, no, I don't think that any of those were "about" Che, so much as the show may have been trying to go with some controversial sketches (and the monologue) to try to make some kind of point - that comedy is sometimes inappropriate and not "PC" (for lack of a better term).  it seems coincidental to me that they went for it on a lot of fronts the same week that there was this big deal over his social media posts.  

If this was their intention, it didn't work for me. I wasn't turned off by either the monologue or the ISIS sketch, but I think that even if I had been, I would have still been able to admit that both segments were trying to say something. It wasn't just controversy for controversy's sake. What was Michael trying to say with his comments about the catcalling video, or any of his sexist posts that have been dug up, compiled, and posted on Tumblr? It's a little harder to put the "comedy is controversial, deal with it!" Band-Aid over something like that. I don't mind "edgier" comedy; in fact, I think it's one of the best ways to get a message across. But imo, Che was just coming off as a dick in his posts and the only message I got from them was that he's sexist.

I don't agree.  SNL is not usually a place where a guest comedian basically takes over and delivers his own material.  It happens from time to time.  Louis CK has done it twice.  But it's certainly not the norm.  I would agree with you if this were his stand up show.  Buyer beware.  But SNL has a loyal audience that tunes in week-to-week regardless of who the host is.  And no one is going to turn down the opportunity to go to a live taping just because they don't like the host's stand up.  Personally, I liked a large part of the monologue.  I just didn't think it was the right place for it.

I understand this point of view, even if I don't necessarily agree with it. I suppose if I disliked a comedian and they took over a show with their original material I wouldn't be too happy about it either. But on the other hand, the non-comedian monologues this season have all been songs, and I'd take rips from stand-up routines over that any day. I'm already cringing at the Hunger Games-related song they might very possibly make Woody Harrelson sing in two weeks.

• Love 2

Yeah, this isn't the version that aired live.   I just watched them both, and in the live version, Leslie leaves the stage for maybe one second as Chris says "I'll still have Luther (his  CDs)" and comes right back out and strains for the cue cards.   I'm not sure if it was a stage direction for her to walk out and in like that, but I still think the cards were messed up regardless. 

Also, Chris Rock is great, but I just don't really like it when comedians just come out and launch into their standup.  They can (and do) do that anywhere. I want the monologue to feel like something that was actually written for the show

Ya know, I've complained about that on the previous site when Louis CK has hosted the show. I like the TV show Louie, but have never been interested in his standup. And whenever he'd host, the standup monologue would just seem to go on forever and ever, like it was one of his standup gigs.

That's the thing, though. Louis was and still is mainly a standup performer.

Chris Rock isn't. Well, sure, he may walk on stage late at night at local NYC comedy clubs, but he doesn't tour or do specials anymore.

So I thought it was actually a treat to have Chris Rock to give his take on the world..

It harkened back to the SNL of old, when it was more edgy and less safe.

293u35k.png

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 1

As I watched the monologue, my first thought was "New Yorkers will be upset because Chris is suggesting that the Boston Marathon bombing was worse then the World Trade Center bombing". I mean I know he wasn't saying that per se, but honestly, that was my concern. All the other issues that have been brought up since didn't hit me as I watched for the first time.

• Love 2

VB68 posted that link yesterday. It's just a few posts above yours.

It was a good article, and I appreciated the writer's take on the show. I knew when it aired it would be controversial, but I think comedy should be that way. My favorite comics are the ones who can make me cringe and make me laugh at the same time. Some of my favorites are Louis CK, George Carlin, Chris Rock, Richard Pryor, and Daniel Tosh. I don't always like the jokes, but they make me think. I'll take that over fart and dick jokes any day!

• Love 1
If this was their intention, it didn't work for me. I wasn't turned off by either the monologue or the ISIS sketch, but I think that even if I had been, I would have still been able to admit that both segments were trying to say something. It wasn't just controversy for controversy's sake. What was Michael trying to say with his comments about the catcalling video, or any of his sexist posts that have been dug up, compiled, and posted on Tumblr? It's a little harder to put the "comedy is controversial, deal with it!" Band-Aid over something like that. I don't mind "edgier" comedy; in fact, I think it's one of the best ways to get a message across. But imo, Che was just coming off as a dick in his posts and the only message I got from them was that he's sexist.

I'm not saying necessarily that it worked for everyone, but I think that was their intention.  It's just too coincidental, especially when we know that at least one cast member is defending Che.  

And I agree, there's a difference between being inappropriate as a joke and just being an ass.  I remember in college, my roommate and I used to get crap from some of the other girls on our floor because we liked Andrew Dice Clay.  And, yes, some of his jokes were too far, but they were always that - jokes.  I have a completely inappropriate sense of humor, so it takes a lot to piss me off or offend me.  

The Taylor Swift commercial hit home as my kids and I generally can't stand her, but are in love with the song "Shake It Off". It's so damn catchy!
I liked the cold open mainly because of Bobby and Kate. I'm over ebola panic, but they are so funny I couldn't help but laugh.
Monologue was kind of cringeworthy, IMHO.
I'm right in the middle of reading Live From New York so Chris Rock's time on SNL was fresh in my mind watching this show. It was kind of interesting that he stated having to be The Black Guy in everything as one of his reasons for leaving, and in this ep, so many of the sketches were black-oriented. It's great that the black cast members got to be more front and center, but it did seem like it was all let's bring them out since we have a black host. That "How's He Doing?" sketch really didn't need a repeat. The one race-related sketch that really did work was the end one with the diversity workplace video. "Let's say a diverse person talks to you..." OMG, dying! Kate, Cecily, and Vanessa was really good doing the voices and mannerisms.
Weekend Update needs help. I vote for Beck and Cecily as anchors.

• Love 3

Minor nitpick about that bit. Nipple chafing is a problem for male marathoners too. It's common practice for them to wear band aids over their nips to protect them. So making it a thing about women marathoners specifically was not only dumb but probably less funny. 

Not only that, but generally women don't have the same issues with chafing-we tend to wear sports bras, so there's a form fitting material that prevents the irritation. Some men wear tight shirts under their regular shirts for that same reason, or do the band-aid thing.

More importantly, Kate's Barbara Corcoran impression on the Shark Tank sketch absolutely saved the sketch. Beck Bennett was also amazing as Mr. Wonderful. I've seen Barbara Corcoran speak in person, and Kate NAILED her. 

• Love 4

What has happened to Prince? He has lost the funk. I miss it.

I also noticed that the audience was stone  cold quiet for most of it tonight. It has to be really bad for me to notice it, and that was strange because I generally think Chris Rock's delivery just makes everything better.

It was. Some of it was that the punchlines weren't funny. They were too long developing, and when they got there, they were too sophisticated. The audience wanted broad humor, something almost absurdest. Shark Tank had a chance, but it never got there. The new logo was weak. At elast come up with something new, don't steal another company's logo.

• Love 1

It didn't really cross my mind that Chris was going for some sort of chaffing issue in the marathon part of his monologue (though I'm not a runner so I'd never really consider it an issue myself). I just thought he was over-exaggerating the exhaustion and pain the runners would be feeling when they reached the finish line after 26 miles and then were told to keep running. I could be wrong.

• Love 1

I thin SNL is the right place for controversial humor. It airs at 11:30 after all. I want them to run things on their ear. They've gone after all politicians regardless of party and the topical nature of the show means they need to address what's happening in our world. Finding the humor in that is noteworthy accomplishment.

I liked this episode a lot and was disapointed the live audience wasn't more into it. It's more fun to laugh along with others.The monologue was great because it was Chris Rock's writing, not something the writers had dished up for the host. SNL in it's infancy was a place for comedians to showcase their talent on a broadstage. The vintage episodes with Steve Martin and Richard Pryor showcased that.

• Love 2

I liked the opening monologue—thank God, someone who doesn't sing!—the Shark Tank sketch, and Swiftamine. But everything else was just bland and boring to me. (I might have liked the anniversary sketch if it hadn't been repeatedly done on In Living Color twenty years ago.)

I just saw that a few writers Chris Rock brought in with him wrote that Anniversary sketch.  Maybe that's why the blocking and/or cue cards got messed up.  Too many cooks in the kitchen?  I don't know.

• Love 2
I don't agree. SNL is not usually a place where a guest comedian basically takes over and delivers his own material. It happens from time to time. Louis CK has done it twice. But it's certainly not the norm. I would agree with you if this were his stand up show. Buyer beware. But SNL has a loyal audience that tunes in week-to-week regardless of who the host is. And no one is going to turn down the opportunity to go to a live taping just because they don't like the host's stand up. Personally, I liked a large part of the monologue. I just didn't think it was the right place for it.

The standup comedians almost always just do their standup routines during the monologue.  Louis CK, and Kevin Hart immediately come to mind from recent memory.  Unfortunately, SNL book very few actual stand up comedians as hosts.  It's more often comedic actors like Jim Carey.   I honestly don't want to see Chris Rock do a song and dance routine or a monologue written by SNL writers.  Although he makes his money doing funny movies, his true talent is stand up comedy, so I was happy he choose standup material for his monologue. 

I enjoyed the show as a whole.  Although the Rock/Leslie Jones skit was horrible.  I do wonder if Sasheer will make until next season, especially with the addition of Leslie to featured status.  I'm just not seeing much range from her.  Even in her most prominent sketch on Saturday, the dance party Youtube channel with Rock, she could have taken it so much farther with her physical comedy.  Aidy does oversexed big girl, Vanessa does quirky happy lady, Cecily and Kate are fairly versitle but Sasheer seems to be stuck on pretty, valley girl side kick mode.  And pretty valley girl just isn't that funny. 

• Love 2