Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: The World Has Turned And Left Me Here

With Homecoming around the corner, Elena invites Liam to attend a party at the corn maze with her. Instead of attending the homecoming festivities, Caroline is preoccupied after Stefan shows up unexpectedly and needs her help cleaning up a mess created by Enzo. Heeding Elena’s advice to be more social, Alaric reluctantly attends the party, but a devastating accident quickly leaves him and Jo rushing to save lives. Elsewhere, Tyler finds himself in a dangerous position when his werewolf curse is put to the test, and an emotionally embattled Stefan comes clean to Caroline about his intent to move on from Mystic Falls. Lastly, Damon and Bonnie make an important discovery that affects their quest to get back home.

Does Damon love Bonnie now? Because I would be greatly amused if the triangle ended because Damon chose Bonnie and Stefan chose Caroline and Elena chose to be happy for her friends and go to med school.

So at this point Bonnie has sacrificed her life for every member of the main cast, right? She's nothing if not consistent.

Salvatore hug! Have they hugged since 1864? God, that was beautiful! Like Winchester levels of pretty brotherly hugging.

• Love 14

While the Salvatore brother's hug was wonderful I'm really annoyed that Bonnie once again sacrificed herself again.

That's all Bonnie is for; sacrificing her life for friends who treat her terribly(Elena Gilbert: Worst Sister/NIece/Daughter/BFF ever)...

I've hated most relationships on this show; save for Bonnie and Damon's. Their hateship was fun. Bonnie was one of the few people who saw Damon for all he was, and Damon hated that and also couldn't stand some pretty self-righteous(IE the one moral person on this show...at least for the first three seasons)...There was something fun about their relationship. If they get together, that would ruin it(like the writer's have ruined every relationship)

I much rather they just become friends who give each other crap constantly, because I think Bonnie would actually be a good for Damon in terms of not dealing with his wishy-washiness.

Obviously, we'lll be dealing with Damon doing all he can to get Bonnie out and back, so I'm all for someone trying to save Bonnie for a change.

• Love 5

If Damon is not spending a significant amount of time trying to get Bonnie back, I'll be a bit peeved. I love them together.

I really couldn't care less about Alaric and the doctor. I'm a bit annoyed that she can't be compelled because that just means she's going to get more screen time that could be spent on other characters that are way more interesting. 

• Love 5

Nooooo!!!! Bonnie needs to be back with Damon. That is the only reason I came back this season. I hope he is really focused on her to the exclusion of Elena now till he gets her back.

I did love the scene with Damon and Stefan. Hugs! That's grand.

• Love 6

I'm going to miss the Damon and Bonnie show - Besties Do Groundhog Day - but I'm glad Damon is back.  I have no doubt once they milk the crappy Elena compelled him away crap, he will be working his ass off to find a way to get Bonnie back.  Why oh why couldn't it have been Elena stuck there? 

They actually made me like Liv a little tonight when she saved Tyler from going werewolf again.  That was a really cool thing for her to do.

I'm happy every time Alaric shows up on an episode alive.  I'm so glad he's back even if he's stuck with the lame, vervain drinking doctor.

And then, the very best for last - Damon and Stefan hug.  It's just awesome that Stefan is the first one to be reunited with Damon.  That hug was just the best. 

• Love 3

I'm happy every time Alaric shows up on an episode alive.  I'm so glad he's back even if he's stuck with the lame, vervain drinking doctor.

And then, the very best for last - Damon and Stefan hug.  It's just awesome that Stefan is the first one to be reunited with Damon.  That hug was just the best. 

The hug was a good hug, and I truly enjoy Alaric, too, but personally,  I think the best part was Stefan's vampEx flailing around being a baby vamp, while Caroline has to deal because Stefan's ditching them.

Are we sure that the needy doctor's on vervain, or are they going to give her some tragic, mystic background?

• Love 1

Guys. I liked that episode??? I mean, anything Elena/Liam or Alaric/Jo was not worth watching, but everything else was good. Entertaining, surprising, touching.

Damon repeating his "There are probably a billion other people you'd rather be here with," and Bonnie tearing up and saying, "Not so much." GAH. I am going to miss them and 1994 so bad. I assume we're in for our annual "Bonnie disappears for several episodes" stretch here?

Stefan was at Maximum Dick this episode, which was perfect lead-up to his breakdown at the end. That Defan hug got me. Paul Wesley is a great crier.

And I don't care for Liv, but that moment when she put her hand on the dying guy's face was classic TVD for me. For a second I thought she was going to pull some dark magic to bring him back to life, and then I realized what she was doing. It was a great move. Heroic in that morally grey way this show used to be so great at.

• Love 6

Look at that, that was the most straightforward Buffy reference ever!

Was it just me or was it really quiet after Tyler plowed through the maze hurting all those people. They seemed like the quietest,calmest victims ever! No screaming or freaking out afterwards.

Elena and new guy have zero chemistry, but I'm sure that will be a mute point with Damon's return. 

On the other hand, Stephan and Caroline have really good chem. I always wanted them together after Elena and him were splitsville.

Wow so much goodness.  Though I am watching for Bamon, I, like many others, have been waiting for a Defan hug for years.  That was very well done, especially from PW.  I actually cheered that hug!  I loved Carolyn's little towel-clad line to Stefan that he didn't have to flatter her because she already knew she was the best.  Ivy can die now.  Unfortunately she has to be saved or she will tell on Carolyn and Stefan.  Didn't miss Matt or Jeremy. Liked Tyler.  Glad Liv did him a favor and didn't just gloss over the fact that she killed someone like everyone else on this show.  Back to hating smug Elena.  She is the only thing that dragged tonight.  Got the idea that the powers had her saving lives so that maybe the audience would like her again.  Nah.  Didn't work.  Maybe Liam will keep he away from the Salvatore's although the way this show goes through recurrings, he will likely be dead by winter break.  Don't care for Jo but glad Alaric is on my screen.  Liked his ghost story in class.  Could see the class thinking as one, boy this teacher dude is cool! 

Was hoping that Kai was really dead, but did NOT see Bonnie choosing to send Damon back by himself.  He had better damn well start working on a way to get her back!  Enjoyed Bonnie's flirty smile to Damon as she said, "You coming?"  Liked his proud look as she figured it out and I think he was pleased that she didn't try to trick him and leave him behind.  With all the double-crosses on this show, it may have occurred to him that she would turn on him.  Those looks Bon Bon was giving him sure made it look like she has a crush.

My prediction.  The producers are going to forget about Bonnie for about four episodes and then mention her before the end of the ep that airs before the winter hiatus.  Will Damon even care now that he is back?  He certainly seemed fond of her and was on her side, even worried about her when she was bleeding tonight.  We will see if the writers ruin this gift (Bamon!) they have given me.

Edited by Goldmoon

Oh look, Bonnie is sacrificing herself again. It must be Thursday. Booooooooooo!

I did love that Bonnie saw through Kai and called his bluff. Then killed his ass with a quickness that even took Damon's breath away. I was like, "Damn, Bonnie!" when she stabbed him with the pickaxe.

I'm going to miss 1994 Bamon, but if Damon tries to do right by Bonnie and brings her back, I might overlook Bonnie climbing back on her cross for the umpteenth time.

And seriously, Stefan, you were going to leave town and saddle Caroline with your vampire ex girlfriend? The dickery is strong with you, Stefan Salvatore.

Didn't care about blonde witch or Tyler. They were so boring when compared to the shit hitting the fan back in 1994. It's not even like Tyler has to suffer the worst of being a werewolf as long as he's in Mystic Falls, so I'm not really feeling the the drama.

I cared more about Alaric, and YES to him reading Stefan for the jerk-filth he is (though I like Stefan when he doesn't give a fuck). But I don't think the doctor is all that interesting yet, even with her mysterious immunity to compulsion.

Elena was not annoying again; hopefully she'll stay that way after she finds out Damon is alive. It would be awesome if Elena focuses on trying to bring Bonnie back instead of angsting over her love life. Hey, a guy can hope.

Oh, yes, I forgot about how I cheered when Ric called out Stefan on being such a dick.   I was a little puzzled though.  It seems like Stefan's crime was forgetting Damon, not the myriad tangle of things he has done to others.  Nonetheless, some merciless badass Ric was hot!  And boo to Stefan for saddling Carolyn with Ivy.  Yay to care-bear for telling him off. 

• Love 1

That hug....ugh....loved it.  So appropriate that he appeared to Stefan first.  I gasped when he caught that bottle.  And Paul's face was perfect.  

I have a feeling what will happen is Damon will see that Elena has chosen not to remember what they were and he'll say fuck it and focus on trying to get Bonnie back.

So I probably missed this part, but why did Liv kill that kid?  

Ric telling Stefan off was my favorite scene of the entire show.  Please, stop with Elena's desperate bullshit with this college kid and show more of Ric, Stefan and Damon trying to get Bonnie back.

Ric telling Stefan off was my favorite scene of the entire show.

I found it to be hypocritical bullshit. If Alaric misses Damon so...why doesn't he try to find him? Why did Stefan seem to be the only one who was following any leads (that all turned cold I may add)? Alaric's only known Damon for like...3 years in which they both tried (and were successful in Damon's part) in killing each other. Oh yea...BFFFFs

• Love 4

I'm wondering is Tripp, founding family, has vervained the entire region's water supply. Ivy couldn't compell Her victim, Elena's patient didn't leave, and Alaric, super vampire, couldn't compell the doctor.

Also, this episode of Vampire Diaries seemed really dark to me- has a someone on the side of good ever suffocated a person before?

And given that Damon bypassed the artifact once to save Bonnie, I do feel like him saving her is going to be part of his arc for this season. When compared to Stefan foisting an ex girlfriend on Caroline, he totally looks like a hero (which is apparently Elena's type).

Edited by Cerulean

Quick thinking by Liv to kill the guy who was dying anyway by Tyler to not activate his werewolf gene.

Alaric with all his power can't compel the doctor?

Elena wants to be a doctor but her idea of saving everyone is vampire blood? Then she acts shocked that the pen trick works? How did she intend to actually treat patients? And hero's are her type? How does that explain Damon, the guy who has killed her brother/tried to kill her brother again/tried to kill Bonnie etc... He's so heroic in those actions. *rme*

Loved the Damon and Stefan reunion, but hate that Bonnie sacrificed herself for him. It's been like Damon's the most loved guy in the world, with Stefan, Enzo and Alaric all going insane over him being gone yet it's Bonnie who? Caroline and Elena carry on like normal and only Jeremy remember while Damon has a mourning fanclub.

• Love 2

I found it to be hypocritical bullshit. If Alaric misses Damon so...why doesn't he try to find him? Why did Stefan seem to be the only one who was following any leads (that all turned cold I may add)? Alaric's only known Damon for like...3 years in which they both tried (and were successful in Damon's part) in killing each other. Oh yea...BFFFFs

Yep! Right there with ya. That scene irritated me on the same level as the many unbearable Elena scenes we had to suffer throughout the years. The nerve?!?!?!? Everyone keeps berating Stefan for not doing more on top of what he was already doing for months. What the "eff" did YOU do, Ric?! Oh yeah, that's right, you helped Elena be a coward and forget about her epic wove. Let's see... And you also went back to teaching (note how looking d. What else? Ah, yes! Let's not forget the anxiety you're experiencing over "losing your game" with the annoying doctor. Tres important things to dwell on in light of feeling so strongly about losing your bestest bestie. Hyppocrite...

Poor Elena, she's only trying to move on cuz dealing with her grief is too painful. But Stephan? Oh, yeah! Total dick! The only one Stephan is being a dick towards is Caroline, which is shirty, because she's the only one who appreciates him.

Yep! Right there with ya. That scene irritated me on the same level as the many unbearable Elena scenes we had to suffer throughout the years. The nerve?!?!?!? Everyone keeps berating Stefan for not doing more on top of what he was already doing for months. And next to Enzo, Stephan was the only other one doing jack shit. What the "eff" did YOU do, Ric?! Oh yeah, that's right, you helped Elena be a coward and forget about her epic wove. Let's see... And you also went back to teaching (note how looking for Damon has nothing to do with teaching). What else? Ah, yes! Let's not forget the anxiety you're experiencing over "losing your game" with the annoying doctor. Tres important things to dwell on in light of feeling so strongly about losing your bestest bestie. Self righteous hyppocrite...

Poor Elena, she's only trying to move on cuz dealing with her grief is too painful. But Stephan? Oh, yeah! Total dick! The only one Stephan is being a dick towards is Caroline, which is shitty, because she's the only one who appreciates him. Well, make that past tense, rightfully so.

I like ivy as a baby vamp. She's fun. Bonnie sacrificing herself to save Damon is nothing new and is completely in character for her. She would have done the same thing for random brick.

Elena and new guy: yawn! Although I do like the actor, he and Nina have zero chem.

The Tore hug was made of epic puppy fluff, rainbows and sunshine. Good stuf. Made my jaded, cold heart skip a bit.

A bit surprised that in the next episode's preview they didn't show the angst that will inevitably ensue as Elena and Damon reunite after his return and as he learns about her conscious amnesia achieved with the help of his bestest bestie.

Edited by MachuPichu
  • Love 1

Is there anyone who didn't see what was going to happen to Ivy from miles away? OF COURSE Tripp was going to capture her, & I can't believe Stefan was just going to dump her & leave, what an asshole.

I am not looking forward to the many episodes of the "Elena doesn't love Damon, but Damon still loves Elena" show that we will probably be seeing, haven't they don't 2,000,000,000 variations of that already?

Why didn't Bonnie let Damon kill Kai (again) & then he could have given her some blood so that she could heal & they could both go home?

Quick thinking by Liv to kill the guy who was dying anyway by Tyler to not activate his werewolf gene.

Alaric with all his power can't compel the doctor?

Elena wants to be a doctor but her idea of saving everyone is vampire blood? Then she acts shocked that the pen trick works? How did she intend to actually treat patients? And hero's are her type? How does that explain Damon, the guy who has killed her brother/tried to kill her brother again/tried to kill Bonnie etc... He's so heroic in those actions. *rme*

Loved the Damon and Stefan reunion, but hate that Bonnie sacrificed herself for him. It's been like Damon's the most loved guy in the world, with Stefan, Enzo and Alaric all going insane over him being gone yet it's Bonnie who? Caroline and Elena carry on like normal and only Jeremy remember while Damon has a mourning fanclub.

My thoughts exactly on both Elena being a joke for a doctor and the whole universe becoming Damon-centric while poor Bonnie is an afterthought. Really geting sick of this show turning into a competition on who woves Damon more. The only true connection I still buy is between Damon and Stephan.

And I don't care for Liv, but that moment when she put her hand on the dying guy's face was classic TVD for me. For a second I thought she was going to pull some dark magic to bring him back to life, and then I realized what she was doing. It was a great move. Heroic in that morally grey way this show used to be so great at.

I was wondering why during the entire "Liv and Tyler watch a guy die" scene why Liv didn't just speak a few words and do some "dying guy was noncritical" healing spell. Magic seems like it can do anything in this show, including healing wounds unless the plot decides that suddenly it can't or the witch can't or won't. I know if I could use magic the very FIRST spell I would learn is some sort of healing spell. Then some fire and brimstone stuff, might as well cover offense as well.

Why didn't Bonnie let Damon kill Kai (again) & then he could have given her some blood so that she could heal & they could both go home?

Or just have Bonnie hold Kai back with her magic while Damon vamp runs over, grabs Bonnie, and then vamp runs them both into the magical freedom circle?

It's because if the characters acted intelligently then we wouldn't have a several episode long "Bonnie is gone let's all save her" arc to go through. Far too many of the plotlines in this show require somebody or possibly everybody to act like complete idiots in order to work.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 3

I loved that Stefan was the one there to see Damon. That was nice and fitting. I hope it's a statement for the show going forward.

I actually really enjoyed Damon this episode. He used to make me laugh years ago but that got lost. This episode he cracked me up, with his "fizzy and fruity", "let's get awkward" and his "Bonnie!" whine when she 'killed' Kai, like she'd just spilled orange juice on the carpet lol.

That said, Bonnie once again sacrificed her own happiness for her friend. Ugh. But I'm hoping this means we'll get to see Damon go all out to save her. I did get all mushy at their goodbye, right before Kai fired an arrow into Bonnie. They've always had a nice animosity with an undercurrent of respect and TBH, their relationship is one of the most well-developed parts of the whole show. I hope their friendship continues.

TBH, I skipped through the scenes with Elena and her boy toy. Not interested.

I'm not the biggest fan of all the gang piling on Stefan for daring to want to move on. It's a big much that they're so put out about it. Caroline I understand because her feelings are really hurt, but Alaric? Why such a dick, man?

Another good episode. And even though Damon's out, I'm hoping this run won't end with the reunion of DE on the horizon. Just don't let it take over and we'll be fine.

Edited by Moo
  • Love 1

So I'm assuming Ivy wasn't eating people in Mystic Falls, have we gotten a name for this new town yet (I'm assuming it's around Whitmore and the same place as Caroline's diner)? I'm glad to see that even Ric's lectures revolve around Elena. I'm continuing to love Bonnie and Damon's interactions with each other, they are so much more interesting when separated from the main cast. There has been some complaint about Bonnie sacrificing herself again, but honestly if she had been the one to go home they all would be down her throat to do some spell to get Damon back, so she'd be the magical MacGuffin either way. I'm interested to see how she deals with Kai by herself.

I'm surprised that Ivy took so quickly to neck snapping and adjusted so well to the fact that she is a vampire.

I loved when Elena wanted to save that girl by giving her her blood and whatshisface just performed a tracheotomy, no big deal. It was nice because it showed her that there are other ways to solve problems besides constant use of magical blood. I miss the Elena who didn't want to be a vampire and was clever, so it's good to see her realize she can rely on other abilities than her vampirism.

So does Ric's doctor lady live in Mystic Falls but work at a hospital outside the town limits, closer to Whitmore? That would make sense if Tripp is flooding the water supply with vervain, or maybe she's taking it on her own. She reminds me way too much of an older April, especially with the way that character just disappeared, so I can't concentrate every time she's on the screen.

The Salvatore brother's relationship has always been my favorite part of the show, so the ending was great. I'm glad Damon revealed himself to Stefan before anyone else, and it was a great moment. 

On another note, I loved Kai's outfit. I'm pretty sure I saw everyone in middle school wearing that same getup.

• Love 1

Ha, I love that Kai's I Love the 90s backpack included Zima! And maybe it's because it's been so long since I had any, but I don't recall it being fruity, Damon.

I am so glad that Stefan was the first one to see Damon and that we got a good hug from them. I still think that the true love story of TVD is the relationship between Damon and Stefan. I know they have a complicated relationship and they don't always get along, but underneath it all they still love each other, Heh, even when they're locking each other in the basement. I loved that just before Damon apparated into the Salvatore mausoleum, Stefan finally admitted that he wasn't coping well with losing Damon. I know he kept telling Elena and Caroline that he was moving on, but it's been clear to me that he was just running away to avoid dealing with losing Damon.

But the Damon/Stefan hug was the only good thing about Damon coming back. I am really going to miss the Damon/Bonnie buddy roadtrip comedy duo. This show is a shell of what it used to be, but I loved the entire Damon and Bonnie in 1994 plot because it was something the show hadn't done before (unlike all the tired storylines they keep recycling where everyone keeps dying, Bonnie keeps saving people, everyone keeps drinking, and we have love triangles left and right).

Not only was it a completely new storyline, but it was interesting. Unlike most of the recent plots, we had no idea what was going on in 1994, why they were there, how they would escape, etc. (compare that to, say, how obvious it was that Tyler and Liv have been written since the beginning of the season - it's just a matter of time before they finally hook up). Remember back in S1 and S2 when the show was capable of surprising us or having interesting plot twists and mysteries that we didn't immediately know the answers to? That's how the 1994 plot has felt to me, so I'm sorry to see that end because now we are back to the same old same old.

On top of that, I liked that the 1994 plot gave us a new relationship to explore. I don't mean that in a shippy way either. If you look at all the other friendships and relationships on the show, they're pretty typical. Elena is BFFs with Caroline and Bonnie. Damon and Stefan are her (ex) boyfriends. Those relationships have been pretty static for a while now. Damon and Stefan are brothers who love each other and alternate between cooperating and butting heads. Matt, Jeremy, and Tyler are the bros. It's pretty obvious whenever new characters are introduced with the intention of being new love interests (and it's also obvious when existing characters are intended to become love interests like Caroline and Stefan - subtle this show is not). The only changes we've seen in the relationships of the main characters is reducing them unless they need to be highlighted again. Matt dated Elena and Caroline but he barely interacts with them anymore. Last season the show had one episode where they reminded us that Matt and Elena have known each other forever and they're allegedly so close (even though they barely have scenes together anymore). Most of the relationships between the main characters haven't changed much in the last few years, so it was really nice to see Bonnie and Damon's relationship change during their time in 1994. They still had moments of their old antagonism but it was clear in this episode that their friendship has changed as a result of being trapped together.

On a related note, I don't care about Tyler and Liv, Elena and Liam, or Alaric and Jo. Out of all six of those people, the only character I want to keep is Alaric. I would be okay with the other five just disappearing.

Ivy was just meh to me when she was alive but as a vampire? Totally amusing! I was a little annoyed that we had to go through the whole baby vamp storyline again, but she was a lot of fun so I was okay with it. I can't wait to see how she and Enzo react when they see each other in Tripp's Vampire Dungeon. I am not surprised that Enzo was able to withstand Tripp's torture. After all the time he spent being experimented on, Tripp's torture is probably a walk in the park for Enzo. But Ivy is probably going to spill the beans before Tripp even threatens her!

I wouldn't have been suspicious about one person who couldn't be compelled, but in this episode we saw several people who were not compelled and I doubt the explanation i that all of them know to take vervain, which means something else is going on. I wouldn't be surprised if Tripp has been dosing the water supplies but I hope there is more interesting explanation.

Sad to say that I didn't notice the complete absence of Jeremy, his new Salvatore girlfriend, or Matt until after the episode ended. I would be fine if the new Salvatore girl just left town never to be seen or heard from again.

• Love 3

Ivy was fun as a vampire! I liked it but she is going to talk immediately unless she is somehow rescued.

I like that people weren't able to be compelled, the characters have all gotten too lazy about this.

The liv thing was dark, but I think when Tyler called Elena he meant for her to come give him blood and I don't think she tried hard enough to do that. So basically that guy died for nothing.

I was thinking it would be cute if when we get Bonnie back she and Damon are randomly texting all the time and laughing and er everybody else is confused by this. But I think they used to text anyway when people weren't looking and I found that enjoyable.

As far as Alaric being a dick, I'm trying to think - I don't think he and Stefan ever had much of a friendly relationship. Wasn't Stefan a ripper or off doing various things like half the time Alaric was alive? Also he lied to Alaric so u can see that pissing him off. Not that I'm mad at Stefan about it because I have been enjoying the hell out of him all season and it's been a long time since I did. I like him so much better when he drops the self righteousness and the pathos even if he was kind of a dick to Caroline.

Edited by Shanna
  • Love 1

I feel like Stefan usually has his guard up. Even when he is telling the truth, he is still holding back a lot of his emotions. He is good at being wry yet aloof, holding most people at arm's length even when he is telling them the truth. Although he has talked to Caroline enough for her to call him her BFF (and I feel like that is less of a two way street than she thinks), I think that he is still usually very reserved around most people. But when Damon reappeared, he dropped all pretense and had a very emotionally honest moment which he very rarely does.

The interesting thing is that he and Elena seemed to be getting along without drama (mostly because she wasn't being angsty or flip flopping about which brother she loved), which makes me wonder if Elena would have moved into Stefan's BFF slot if Damon hadn't come back and Stefan decided to stick around.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

So I totally cheered and startled the dog when Tripp rolled up on Ivy on that dark road in his Van of Vampire Death. Ivy annoys me more than anything so I'm hoping she is dust real soon but I do agree with those here that have posted that Stefan was a real dick to try and just leave town and dump baby vamp Ivy with Caroline. Dick move, Salvatore. I did smirk when Ivy tried to compel her victim with "erase."

WTF Bonnie, STOP SACRIFICING YO'SELF. Like someone else already posted, why couldn't Damon use his vamp speed to disable Kai, vamp speed over to grab the artifact and Bonnie, then have Bonnie perform the spell so they could both get the hell out of 1994?? Oh right, if that had happened then we wouldn't have a season-long arc of Damon trying to get her back. And possibly trying to get Elena back too. Ugh.

Something must be wrong with me, I didn't appreciate the Salvatore man hug at the end as much as I did my most hated-Liv killing Ivy's victim herself so that Tyler wouldn't reactivate the wolf gene. Same with Alaric telling Stefan off, I feel like I should have enjoyed it more but didn't.

Did anyone else catch that look Liam shared with that girl who was dressed up as bloody Lady Whitmore? It was after the ambulances and cops showed up at the corn maze, Liam and Elena are walking away from the maze together, the girl crosses their path and they definitely share a look.

Aww, man, I`m disappointed the adventures of Bamon are over for now. They had such a good rapport again in this episode. Damon being protective of her, she being sweet with him. Though Bonnie sacrificing herself once more for a friend was a bit much. 

And obviously, the magic of this place is that you can`t die in it. I assume that goes for Bonnie, too, so why would she think she wouldn`t make it? I`m happy that they played it like Damon wouldn`t leave her behind but she magick-ed him out. If only he could have sped over to her and taken her with.

Do not care about new Elena. The way she looked at Liam was the "hm, new shiny boy-toy" look. Somehow it makes her seem shallow. That was Stefan, then it was Damon, now it is this guy because he impressed her. Could she may have tried to "find herself" as in herSELF for being one week without jumping on a guy?

Meanwhile, I was completely on Stefan`s side during the argument with Ric. Because he was right to point out the sheer hypocrisy of Aleric helping bouncy-bouncy little Elene who just couldn`t handle her grief but Stefan gets no quarter. Why does everyone has to face their grief on their own but poor little Elena? Give her her freaking memories back and let her wear the big girl pants, godamnit.

The Defan scene at the end was incredibly touching. Loved every minute of it.

Liv and Tyler even made me feel something for their story. And see, more people who are expected to deal with painful stuff on their freaking own.

Stefan was a dick to Caroline, though, what with the Ivy thing. Caroline legitimately felt used there. But I think Stefan did feel bad about it.

Right now, I`m just stark-raving mad that Elena gets treated with kid gloves about her grief when noone, absolutely noone else is. 

I'm torn on this one because I liked it right up until they had Bonnie seemingly die AGAIN. I'd like to believe she's no more dead than ever before, but yeah I also don't want her to go missing for three episodes, and if she is alive she's still stuck with the sociopathic love child of baby Ryan Reynolds and Paul Rudd. Damon had just BETTER spend all his time trying to get her *back*. Also glad the big reunion was between Stefan/Damon, good job show.

I loved that they brought up Buffy, because damn could Liam BE anymore Scott Hope if he tried?

Yeah that was really great, I thought I was over Tyler, but dammit I love him again.

I wanted to like Ivy, and I did enjoy her making Caroline crazy, but I didn't like her in and of herself, especially not enough to care if Tripp kills her. I did like the insinuation that Vamps are losing their hold a bit, Ivy wasn't able to "erase" that kid she attacked, and apparently Alraric wasn't able to compel Jo. Compelling has always been the creepiest part of the shows mythology and also too convenient, so I like the idea maybe their finally losing that absolute power.

• Love 4

I didn't feel anything for Rick telling Stefan off. I think I actually side-eyed the television from my kitchen. Like...Pop's from Blackish side eye, or Samuel L Jackson side eye. He's your best friend, Rick? You mean after he killed your wife, killed you multiple times just for the heck of it (leading to you going crazy), tormented Elena, and killed Jeremy? Oh yea, but I forgot, seasons 1-2 1/2 (post Kevin W./the rise of Plec and Plies) don't exist anymore.

No one has any right to tell Stefan off like their love for Damon could ever match his. He was his brother for 200 years and in everyone else's life for like what? 3? You can miss me with all that self-righteous bullshit. Especially after Rick just compelled Elena to forget him. What kind of hypocritical, devil's knot of a show?!?!

I did, however, appreciate that Stefan was the first person that Damon came back to. I've been waiting for this show to focus on the Salvatore bros relationship from the very beginning. (People would probably enjoy the show if it focused more on the Salvatore's than focusing on whichever Salvatore dick Elena's hopping on this season. Just look at Supernatural! 10 seasons strong and a higher rating/share than TVD still!)

Stefan was being a dick to Caroline by saddling her with Ivy. But I did understand his reasoning, if Caro and Enzo had left him alone then none of that (Ivy being killed and turned) would have ever happened. Still didn't change the fact that he was being a dick about it.

And I hope Elena saving that chick comes back to bite her in the ass. She thought it was heroic, but it came off as kind of sanctimonious, especially when Liam ended up saving another girl without magic. All the while Elena's screaming in the background "But I can do it! Watch me!"

Edited by Gwen-Stacys
  • Love 1

I did, however, appreciate that Stefan was the first person that Damon came back to. I've been waiting for this show to focus on the Salvatore bros relationship from the very beginning. (People would probably enjoy the show if it focused more on the Salvatore's than focusing on whichever Salvatore dick Elena's hopping on this season. Just look at Supernatural! 10 seasons strong and a higher rating/share than TVD still!)

As little as the Defan relationship sometimes gets on this show, I vastly prefer it to the brother`s relationship on Supernatural which has, in the last few years, gotten to be THE most horrifying relationship for me on TV for how it is portrayed.

I believed Stefan being lost without Damon in this episode and for the last 5 more than I believed similar sentiments from Sam for roughly 6 years now. Rebecca once said that the Salvatore brothers might "fight like dogs but deep down they had each others back" and I`m with her on that one.

And at this point I want neither of them with Elena. Who doesn`t have a tenth of the strength other characters are expected to show and do show. Apparently she is also incapable of being single longer than two seconds. Urgh. 

Or just have Bonnie hold Kai back with her magic while Damon vamp runs over, grabs Bonnie, and then vamp runs them both into the magical freedom circle?

It's because if the characters acted intelligently then we wouldn't have a several episode long "Bonnie is gone let's all save her" arc to go through. Far too many of the plotlines in this show require somebody or possibly everybody to act like complete idiots in order to work.

Here's how I fanwanked it: Bonnie was mortally wounded. If she went back with Damon, maybe whatever wounds she got in hell stay with her. It appears that they physically go to this place, not just spiritually. So maybe Bonnie, wound and all, got back to our plane, and she would die. If she stays in Kai's hell, though, she resets all healthy the next "day" and has infinite days to come up with a Plan B to get out. If I'm wrong? Then...um...yeah...it's just another "Hey! Bonnie sacrificed herself, yet again, for a member of a group that considers her a convenience!" Poor Bonnie. In the real world, she's the friend with the pick-up truck who never gets a phone call until someone is moving.

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Love 4

Watching the Bonnie and Damon show, I've realized how much I hate Bonnie with Jeremy. I hope she drops him when she gets back, but I doubt that's gonna happen. Not sure I want Bonnie and Damon together, but I definitely don't want him back with Elena either. Elena needs to find some nice baggage free human boy because she's got enough drama for the both of them.

• Love 2

I freakin' loved Alaric telling off Stefan. It was great. Ric was mad b/c Stefan purposely lied to him making him think they were partners in finding Damon and it actively kept Alaric from doing more on his own b/c he trusted Stefan and Stefan let him down and also Damon who had saved his freakin' life.

I really like Tyler and Liv and think they have a good story. I want to see someone have a sucessful love life without triangles. They have good chemistry.

I don't know why Caroline always wants to like guys who are such dicks to her. I mean basically Matt is the only good guy she's been with and he didn't want to date a vampire. Which poor guy I can't blame him. The way Stefan has treated her is no better than Tyler nor Klaus and if I were her I'd throw him duces.

Even though Stefan is a giant dick I like him this way. I wish he'd be more like this all the time. It is more honest than he usually is. He feels this way but always tries to hide it which is annoying to me.

Loved that Damon and Stefan got a bro moment that they both needed since they hadn't really had a moment since Stefan "died". I liked the whole scene the hug was just part of it.

I can't believe Bonnie had to lose AGAIN. Damon has already saved her once so I really think it will saving Bonnie which unites them all b/c basically they ALL owe Bonnie. I wonder how Caroline will feel seeing everyone pull together for Bonnie when she tried all summer to no avail.

I think Damon will have to get Enzo free first before they move on to Bonnie.

Jo is not interesting at all and please both Meredith and Jenna were 10 times prettier than Jo. Alaric you can do so much better dude.

Elena's new boyfriend is not even that cute and has little chemistry with Elena. Plus I don't like this Elena she seems so fake in her cheer.

Did anyone else catch that look Liam shared with that girl who was dressed up as bloody Lady Whitmore? It was after the ambulances and cops showed up at the corn maze, Liam and Elena are walking away from the maze together, the girl crosses their path and they definitely share a look.

I believe that look was just meant to show Liam's shock and confusion that that girl, who he believed was mortally wounded, was up and walking around like nothing had happened. I don't think anything more was intended. It's just to start his suspicion about Elena (which she shut down later by kissing him).

I love Stefan, and I understand everything he's doing and I think it makes perfect sense for his character and is WAY more interesting than him just doggedly tracking down every lead and being selfless and whatever. I think him turning completely inward and shutting everyone else out is the only way he can get through this without shutting off the humanity entirely. He's barely holding on, but this is how he's making it through. I get it.

But as far as Alaric, and everyone else who is berating Stefan, is concerned: I think that's their right. They're all grieving in their own ways, but when those ways hurt others, that's not OK and no one has to pretend it is. Same goes for Elena when she was hurting people and doing witchy drugs at the beginning of the season, or Jeremy being a total ass in general. I frankly hope that for Steroline, the rest of this season involves Stefan working his ass off to earn her trust and friendship back because he has royally effed that up.

And yeah I don't think Alaric's relationship with Damon is anywhere near as deep as Stefan's (though the writers spent way more time on it for awhile there), but Alaric does love Damon. And he loves Elena, and Jeremy, and all these other idiots who are hurting and grieving. And he sees Stefan's actions as hurting them too. I see people asking what Alaric was doing to get Bonnie and Damon back, and my answer is that he was trying to help from the homebase, believing that Stefan was doing what he said and tracking down those leads. If Stefan had just blown him off, Alaric might have taken up those searches on his own. Who knows? Stefan handled his shit poorly, period. They probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere on this side of things anyway, but I don't blame Alaric or Caroline for being pissed that he was lying to them and for giving up without telling them, because he basically made that decision for all of them. That's not fair.

• Love 1

And yeah I don't think Alaric's relationship with Damon is anywhere near as deep as Stefan's (though the writers spent way more time on it for awhile there), but Alaric does love Damon. And he loves Elena, and Jeremy, and all these other idiots who are hurting and grieving.

But I think he was deeply hypocritical about it and Stefan pointed that out.

Elena is grieving and comes running to Alaric and his response? Here is a compulsion onesie for you and a baby blanket, poor little thing.

Jeremy is grieving  and Alaric`s response? Man the fuck up, other people have hard lifes too.

Stefan is grieving and comes to Alaric for help and Alaric`s response? Get over yourself, not gonna help you and you are a dick for how you grieve.

Well, one of these things is not like the other. If Alaric is all about the tough love, then uncompel Elena, force her to grow a pair on her own and tell her that other people have hard lives, too.  

• Love 2

Yeah, but just because Alaric isn't handling things perfectly with people, or being hypocritical in his own life, doesn't mean that he loses his right to be mad at Stefan for hurting him and others. Stefan lied to Alaric, and sort of used him to back up his cover story while he was living his Savannah life, and he continues to hurt people that Alaric cares about. Alaric also cares about Stefan (in my opinion), and he doesn't like seeing him lose the best parts of himself. What he was asking Alaric to do to "help him" was to compel his newly vamped girlfriend to just be fine with being a vampire and to go away and live a happy life. That's trying to control someone else, trying to take the easy way out, and while Ivy might have been fully on board with it, he wasn't doing it for her. He was doing it so he could be free.

Like I said, I love Stefan (he's my favorite character), and I understand everything he's doing here, but that doesn't make it any less shitty. And his being shitty doesn't make anyone else's actions LESS shitty, but none of them have to be happy that he's blowing up his relationships with them, and hurting them, because he's in pain. 

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 2

Elena and new guy: yawn! Although I do like the actor, he and Nina have zero chem.  . . .A bit surprised that in the next episode's preview they didn't show the angst that will inevitably ensue as Elena and Damon reunite after his return and as he learns about her conscious amnesia achieved with the help of his bestest bestie.

I hadn't seen previews or read the episode blurb before I watched it, but knew as soon as Elena had a date, and told the aforementioned date that Damon was dead (while Damon was planning his groiny or meal/groiny reunion) that by the end of the episode Damon would be out of 1994.

I'm just desperately hoping they decide to do the surprising thing, skip most of the relationship drama, and just move on to giving Elena back her memories, because I think every single person watching knows that that's what they're going to do eventually, anyway.  Just please get it over with, so that we don't have to watch them play "she loves me, she loves me not" all season.

As far as Alaric being a dick, I'm trying to think - I don't think he and Stefan ever had much of a friendly relationship. Wasn't Stefan a ripper or off doing various things like half the time Alaric was alive? Also he lied to Alaric so u can see that pissing him off. Not that I'm mad at Stefan about it because I have been enjoying the hell out of him all season and it's been a long time since I did. I like him so much better when he drops the self righteousness and the pathos even if he was kind of a dick to Caroline.

I don't recall Alaric and Stephan having a particularly friendly relationship, either--and I think you're right, that about the time he became truly embroiled in the Gilbert Family Saga, was about the time Stephan started killing again, and then disappeared.  Plus, during a good chunk of the Klaus/Elijah/Elena drama, Stephan had either been away with Klaus, pretending to be on Team Klaus, or on Team Kill Klaus at any Costs. 

And I think you're right about Alaric's reaction;  it seemed less about how Stefan was grieving, and more about how Stefan seemed to have cut all ties from the others, and left them with the impression he was still searching for ways to find Damon and Bonnie.  (Not that that was necessarily bad for Stefan--you cope how you cope--but a so long, farewell note wouldn't've been amiss.)

And was it hypocritical of Alaric?  Probably, but all of these characters are pretty dreadful, hypocritical people on a fairly regular basis, and it's added a new dynamic (or an old dynamic) for there to be someone trying to mentor or parent this group again.

Watching the Bonnie and Damon show, I've realized how much I hate Bonnie with Jeremy. I hope she drops him when she gets back, but I doubt that's gonna happen.

I have to agree with you about the Bonnie/Jeremy thing.  Having her away from Jeremy for this stretch really reinforced for me how much I like it when they are not a couple.  To me, it always seemed forced. 

And the Bonnie/Damon frenemy bits have been really good. In previous seasons, there's been enough animosity in it that it wasn't fun for me, but that seems tempered lately with reluctant affection and respect, and has been surprisingly refreshing.  Personally hoping that it stays at the friendship level when they get Bonnie back, but that it's definitely still there.

• Love 1

Let's also remember that out of all of the people Alaric has been helping grieve, Stefan is the only one who's lied.  I get why Stefan stopped looking.  It hurt too much to get turned away at every turn and he was at the end of his rope with it.  But he kept hope alive in others who may have also reached the end of their rope if it wasn't for Stefan making it seem as if he was still looking.

So if Alaric is a hypocrite he can take his seat right next to Stefan.

Regardless, Damon appearing to Stefan first was the way it should have happened.  The entire scene was done perfectly by both the actors and I'm glad the writers chose to portray it in that way.  Stefan deserved to see him first.

Edited by CaughtOnTape
  • Love 2

Carrie Ann, CaughtOnTape, and Mari pretty much capture my view of Alaric's mindset on Stefan, but I would also like to add I think Alaric has a good reason not go look for way to get Damon and Bonnie back himself. Alaric is a new vampire who is just barely able to control his thirst, so it's not a good idea for him to run around in the supernatural world until he gets a better handle on it. If Alaric gets out of control there's very few people who can stop him since he's built to take down other Originals.

• Love 2

Thank you for answering my question, Carrie Ann. :-) 

I wish Grams would somehow retain enough of a corporeal form to appear to Bonnie to slap her upside the head and tell her to snap out of it a la Cher in Moonstruck. It's been over twelve hours since I watched this episode and I'm still pissed that Bonnie sacrificed herself yet again for another friend of hers, or in this case Damon. To paraphrase a relative of mine, you know damn well you're going to heaven when you die so stop kissing God's ass.

• Love 1

Here's how I fanwanked it: Bonnie was mortally wounded. If she went back with Damon, maybe whatever wounds she got in hell stay with her. It appears that they physically go to this place, not just spiritually. So maybe Bonnie, wound and all, got back to our plane, and she would die. If she stays in Kai's hell, though, she resets all healthy the next "day" and has infinite days to come up with a Plan B to get out. If I'm wrong?

Then...um...yeah...it's just another "Hey! Bonnie sacrificed herself, yet again, for a member of a group that considers her a convenience!" Poor Bonnie. .

To the first part, that's how I thought it would go too, with bonne delaying escape until the next day but I wasn't quite sure how that would go.

To the second, it is definitely in character for Bonnie to sacrifice herself which I hate for her but I respect. I don't think Damon really just considers her a convenience especially now. Their friendship has been deepening this season and I think we will see him intent in getting her back.

He's your best friend, Rick? You mean after he killed your wife, killed you multiple times just for the heck of it (leading to you going crazy), tormented Elena, and killed Jeremy?

Not to get into that old stuff (like how those people didn't actually die) but I think whatever Damon's faults his friendship with Ric was very well established. As for his conversation with Stefan, I think it has a lot to do with Stefan and Ric not actually being friends and with Ric still being really surly about being brought back as a vamp. Also the fact that Stefan was flat out lying to him, which is kid of immature way of dealing with the situation.

I do find it interesting the way they've contrasted Rics response to Damon's death (and his own resurrection), with Stefan's and Enzo's. I am digging that are really getting to see Stefan's real way of dealing with grief which is apparently avoidance. I totally feel him on that and the end scene with Damon was sweet.

Elena's way of dealing is bullshit of course but consistent with her first season brilliant way of dealing with Jeremy's grief so I'm leaving that out.

Edited by Shanna
  • Love 1

I am still trying to figure out why Damon didn't zip over to Bonnie and then zip away somewhere.  They obviously just learned you cant die there.  Tomorrow there will be another eclipse and another chance at freedom.  Take some time, people.  Bonnie, stick another axe in Kai and then Damon tie him up somewhere.  Than, the next day, do the spell and you both get to go home and Kai remains in his prison/hell/whatever.  In some cases, her sacrifices are warranted (her "death" last season was kind of the only way to accomplish what they were trying to accomplish), but when there are obviously other choices out there, her St. Bonnie routine is annoying.

• Love 2

I don't think it's a St.Bonnie routine so much as the writers don't value her character as much as the others on the show. It's a shame since she's one of the strongest actors and has chemistry with basically everyone IMO.

• Love 5

I was really getting into Bonnie/Damon and loving the chemistry. So, of course, Damon has to be sent back. It's a shame, but at the same time, we got to see Damon care for someone other than Elena or Stefan. The pure panic and the shock on his face while reaching out to grab Bonnie before he escaped purgatory was pretty great. Too bad Bonnie has to make her millionth sacrifice to do it. What would have been a nice twist is if Damon had vamp sped, grabbed Bonnie and tossed HER into the circle to escape. Damon would have had some character growth there by doing the sacrificing.

I did really love the last scene with Stefan and Damon, though. After everything they've been through, I'm glad it was Stefan who got to see his brother first, and in private nonetheless. It was a really sweet moment to see. Now, Ian Somerhalder was hamming up that scene for a bit but by the end, I'm glad he mellowed out and they both had a quiet moment to reflect on him being back. I really do love the Damon/Stefan relationship a whole lot. 

Stefan, other than that, was a selfish jerk the whole episode. I love Stefan, he's one of my favourites, but he was being so rude to Caroline. Dumping Ivy on her and trying to take off wasn't right. I understand that Stefan's used to starting over and having his brother truly dead was a new situation for him, but being that harsh to Caroline makes me root for her not to get together with him. Alaric, on the other hand, wasn't entirely right toward his attitude with Stefan. The two were never close to begin with, but still. Everyone is grieving in their own way (and can we have someone other than Jeremy grieve for poor Bonnie, please?) and they're all being jerks about it. Grief isn't pretty, though, and seeing Stefan react in a way that isn't heroic, helpful or even selfless was actually a side I love to see. It show us that not even Stefan is perfect. I'm also done with the prospect of Stefan/Caroline. Stefan's been treating her horribly, and Caroline's no saint either, but I'm really not interested in them anymore.

Everything else that happened this episode was not interesting to me. Kai was a self righteous tool, Ivy was funny (albeit annoying to the nth degree), Tyler/Liv does not work for me at all and Alaric/Jo? I don't even know if that's her name, but I don't really care why she can't be compelled. Elena/new guy? Eh. I'm glad Nina can kiss someone other than Ian and Paul, but her love interest doesn't interest me in the slightest. He's going to die or become some sort of supernatural creature by the mid season finale, anyway.