Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: The Mole

• Start Topic

"If you're wondering how I'm pulling this off, I'm thinking back to when I was 8 when Don Mattingly called me a little turd."

"Was he right?"

"...Yes."

Terry, even Lil Terry, dancing some Disco will never not be great.

Looks like this whole battle with Holt and Wuntch is the season-long runner, isn't it? But I don't care, I really love it.

Another great episode.  "Is that a promise or another lollipop that will never get licked"  I have to find a way to use that in my life somehow.

Even Gina didn't annoy me so much this episode. I can't wait to see all you guys reactions to this episode.

"You're here. I was wondering why all the birds suddenly stopped singing." I have GOT to use that. That, and "there's someone here about her missing Dalmatian coat."

I both do and do not want to know why Teddy's underwear has mesh lining. That is very weird. Dump him, Amy!

• Love 5

I loved that whole scene with Jake and Holt in their pajamas. They were so wonderfully punchy.

Jake: Now that I say it out loud it doesn't sound that good.

Holt: Put it on the board!

• Love 3

For me, Scully and Hitchcock are used just the right amount as is. I don't want more.

One of the things I love about the show is that it gets through what could be an hourlong police story in a quick half hour that also has time for plenty of jokes, both long- and short-term. It makes me very happy. And I too intend to adopt "another lollipop that will never be licked."

• Love 4

This is definitely Andre Braugher's Emmy submission episode. He was awesome.

His monologue in response to Scully and Hitchcock asking if he "was okay" was my favorite along with Jake's powdered donut exploding in Gina's car!

Also love the "silent disco", Terry imagining his twin daughters as president(either fooling people as one person or a 16 year dynasty) Holt slapping Jake, Jake suddenly wearing his gues pajamas and that Gina slept with a guy who liked Tywin Lannister(He's a character from Game of Thrones).

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7

Jake: Now that I say it out loud it doesn't sound that good.

Holt: Put it on the board!

OMG. I had to pause the DVR, I was laughing so much. Andre's delivery of that line was hilarious. In fact, this might be my favorite ep of Andre's so far. I mean, that speech in the bar to Hitchcock and Scully was outstanding. Has AB done Shakespeare? That speech was Shakespearean. 

And then his explaining how he deduced that Boyle and Gina were sleeping together was outstanding. 

Loved the whole pajama scene. I love how suddenly Jake was in pajamas, and then we learn they are guest pajamas (not to mention guest slippers and a guest toothbrush.) The slap was epic. Andy's face was priceless.

I love when Miller, the germophobic guy, told Jake to pick up the hand sanitizer with his elbows and to close his nostrils.

I really really liked when Gina told Boyle it was fun.

Cagney and Lacey are going to be twin Presidents who rule for 16 years!

• Love 8

I had to rewind Holt slapping Jake numerous times. Andre is just killing it.

I agree that this episode needs to be Andre Braugher's award submission. He was incredible in it. The monologue in the bar was the standout for me--this is a sitcom, but watching it I was reminded of Frank Pembleton. Plus, the entire sleepover sequence and the reveal of his middle name! This episode reminds you that Andre Braugher is one of the best actors in TV history.

And yep, he has done Shakespeare. Says IMDB: Strong Shakespearean background includes roles in "Coriolanus", "King John", "Measure for Measure", "Richard II" and as Iago in "Othello". He won an Obie Award for his "Henry V" in 1996.

Edited by scrambled eggs
  • Love 5

I loved it. Funny and dynamic and all characters were utilized well. Holt was the MVP, but I loved everyone, even Gina got a little bit character development by getting over her shame over Boyle. Actually, the whole resolution of their affair was pretty great, and, again, very adult - very atypical for most sitcoms. I again commend B99 for not flanderizing its characters and treating them as people.

Little Terry dancing flashback was hilarious, and so was Amy's face when Jake scattered the donut powder all over her new car (that was a really prominent product placement, btw, but they made it kinda fun, so I don't mind). 

I guess this was the end for Wuntch/Hold feud, for the time being? It was a pretty neat storyline, and gave Holt something new to do. I liked it. 

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

Definitely the best episode of the season so far. I also loved Holt's speech at the bar, which was beautifully set up by Wuntch's revelation that Holt's secret dream was to be a poet. And the reveal of Holt's middle name was a genuine jaw-dropping moment for me.

• Love 5

I'm really loving Rosa this season. She's still so...Rosa-ish, yet with just enough kindness and compassion to make her lovable and human. She and Terry were a surprisingly enjoyable combination for me.

Pajama-clad Jake and Holt was among the highlights of my week!

I don't like Gina, but I agree with those who were happy with how her relationship with Charles ended. I can't say I agree with the implication that she's so out of his league and should therefore be considered brave for admitting to sleeping with him, though---honestly, Gina's a mean, selfish and fairly horrible person, a screwup, and not, IMO, even physically attractive. Charles, for all his myriad issues, could actually be viewed as out of HER league and a far better catch. 

I'm sort of missing Amy lately and hope we get a more Santiago-centric episode soon! 

• Love 7

I would have loved it much more if it wasn't actually a thing! But that might just because that is one night I can't get back!

I knew it had to be a thing. Nothing that weird could NOT be a thing! What was brilliant about it on the show was that it made it easy to have dialog going on without fighting against the club music. That being said, Terry and Rosa having a normal conversation while people in the background are jumping and waving... pool noodles?... to silence was, to me, a hilarious sight gag.

Amy talking about Teddy's mesh underwear cracked me up, too. "Is it a medical thing? How do you even bring that up?" Also, I totally empathize with her new car. My car is closing in on two years old and my niece always sighs about how it 'still smells new' when she gets in... and considering that I am NOT a neat freak at all, I'm very proud that I've managed to keep my car in good shape for so long. (Yes, Jake, I have a Spy Car, too. I actually refer to it as a spaceship but... whatever.)

"Captain Holt..."

"...has a flair for the dramatic. Look behind you, Madeline!"

Love it.

• Love 3

So Dan Bakkedahl is becoming a genuine HITG for me. He seems to be in every damned show I watch at the moment! Not that I mind too much, because he's good at playing a complete tool.

This was a nice return to form after last week's misfire. Even the cold open was noticeably better, with Jake knowing what all his colleagues were doing, and then leaping at Terry, who still caught him despite the coffee he was carrying.

"You know how I'm kind of a sexy bad boy who rides motorcycles into work and is always breaking the rules in the name of justice?"

"I don't like where this is going."

No kidding, Amy, you adorable yet astute dork. I am totally with her on the new car guarding. I got a new car a month ago, and I still grind my teeth whenever someone gets in it with a wet leaf on their shoe or has anything that might possibly leave crumbs of any kind. But she did it to herself, panicking when she saw that backup donut. Calling her the girl version of Hitchcock was just mean, though. If Amy's the girl version of anyone, it would actually be Boyle.

I'll give the writers credit, it genuinely didn't cross my mind that Jake and Amy would stumble in on Gina and Boyle doing the nasty. Although, that could just be due to my preference for forgetting Gina exists.

"Detective Diaz, can you give me at least a shred of good news about your drug task force?"

"The good news is that I can be brief about it."

Nice. The silent disco was just about as dumb as I imagined it would be, and I do like it when this show takes the piss out of hipster fads. Rosa was kind of cute in the hipster outfit and glasses, though. And Terry stressing about his kids is always funny. His dream of his daughters running as one president and tricking everyone needs to be a sitcom all of its own. In fact, there probably is one like that on Nickelodeon or the Disney Channel.

Andre Braugher was amazing in this episode, and his Shakespearean speech to Scully and Hitchcock in the bar was perfection. Him being bent out of shape by Wuntch has really worked better than I thought it would. Because he's still clearly, obviously Holt, with the same personality and the same mannerisms, he's just putting slightly more inflection in his voice.

I love this show, so much.

"I thought perhaps the element of surprise would help." My face was just about as stunned there as Jake's was.

• Love 2

I liked this last year, but it's getting better and better.  Great acting and writing.  And they seemed to have noticed that Gina was horrible and toned her down.  She's now a little more like a Michael Scott.

I think it's like Parks and Rec. If you recall, the first season Leslie Knope was awful and self-centered, almost just a cartoon character.  In subsequent seasons, they fixed her character, and I believe that made the show a success. 

• Love 1

Almost everyone was awful in the first season of Parks. Andy was a childish jerk, Ann was insufferable, Mark was boring (he still was boring even in s2, but they got rid of him eventually), Tom was annoying and over-the-top... and I actually don't remember about Ron in s1.

• Love 2

I still haven't grasped the Parks & Rec love. I watched the first season, it sucked, and everyone told me to watch the second season. I didn't even make it through the first episode. That awful song and dance bit was the sort of bad TV that has me looking over my shoulder to check no one is witness to my shameful moment. Then there was some stuff about gay penguins and the guy from Guardians of the Galaxy living in a ditch. No thanks.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine was sharp from the beginning, and just got sharper. It's up there with the very funniest shows on TV, for me. And I don't just mean current shows, I mean of all time. It has a laugh per minute quotient that few can compete with. Perhaps prime Community or Friends.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3

After the weak for this show Halloween II (which means it still wasn't "bad", just not as good), I thought this was an excellent return. Pretty much everyone was firing on all cylinders in this one, and I loved all of the plots.

This time, it was actually the A-plot that I loved the most.  The season is still young, but this has to be in contention for Andre Braugher's Emmy submission.  Holt was so epic in this.  His big speech with Holt/Scully.  Him and Wuntch's battle of wits (speaking of Emmys, I really hope Kyra Segwick has a shot at Guest Actress).  And, even some of the smaller moments had me howling.  I loved how he got onto Rosa about the task force, and was so desperate about wanting them to find drugs.

And, of course, Holt and Jake at his house was made entirely of win.  Love that Holt had a guest robe and guest toothbrush for him.  And, the various ways that debated who was the mole.  And, I know physical comedy can be hit or miss, but, wow, Holt's surprise slap might have been one of the funniest things ever.  Just great timing on everyone's part.  Glad they got Kevin (and Cheddar!) back for an appearance (although, they might have a different dog for Cheddar.)

The silent disco really was ridiculous.  I loved the gag of Terry and Rosa doing the normal "cops in a nightclub" scenes, but the whole time, you don't hear any music.  I figured the girl was going to be involved, but I liked how the whole thing shows that Terry really is a loving father, and more of the Terry/Rosa bond.  That is one pairing I hope they explore a bit more.

Glad Gina/Boyle is over and already out in the open.  They did do a good job with it; better then I expected.  Even Gina made me laugh a few times.  Oh, and since she said that one of her past sexual encounters was a guy who looked like Tywin Lannister, i really want Charles Dance to guest in that role.

I guess I could complain about Amy being kind of in the background in this one, but she still had some great moments.  I liked how as soon as Jake told her about the files, it never was a question that she was going the help him out.  I really do love that the show is still making Jake/Amy work, despite him revealing he has feeling for her.  I also liked her hilarious reaction to Gina/Boyle (again, Melissa Fumero just has the best reaction shots), but how she quickly got over it, told Jake he need to, and was there for Gina, despite the fact they aren't anywhere close to friends.  Also loved her line about Ted and his underwear.  I wonder if that was a typical Amy thing, or they are setting it up that, if Amy/Ted does end, it will be because of a little thing like that, instead of a big dramatic blowout.

Favorite moment was how Holt figured out Gina/Boyle, just from Jake's one line.  Brilliant.  And, Jake discovering that Holt's middle name is Jacob, and the "WHAAT???" line, has to be one of the best endings for this show.

In short, I love this show.

• Love 6
I still haven't grasped the Parks & Rec love. I watched the first season, it sucked, and everyone told me to watch the second season. I didn't even make it through the first episode. That awful song and dance bit was the sort of bad TV that has me looking over my shoulder to check no one is witness to my shameful moment. Then there was some stuff about gay penguins and the guy from Guardians of the Galaxy living in a ditch. No thanks.

I'm totally with you. Parks has a similar warmth and sweetness to Brooklyn Nine Nine, but for me P&R's humor ranges from flat to painfully, embarrassingly bad. I don't think the humor always works on this show either, but it certainly works often enough for me to adore it. Plus, it's given me two of my all-time favorite sitcom characters in Holt and Amy Santiago...and Rosa is fast creeping up the list :) 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 2

My cable messed up for a couple of seconds when Amy was talking about her boyfriend's underwear, so I didn't hear it. Thanks for all here who have mentioned it.

One little thing I liked was that Boyle and Gina were wearing matching bathrobes.

• Love 3

Danny

I too didn't think highly of Parks & Rec in it's early days. I stopped watching in Season 2 when I moved overseas. While I was away, I kept hearing about how it was one of the funniest things on television and couldn't understand.

When I moved back I began to DVR it (Season 5 at that stage), but held off on watching it for a while. I'm glad I eventually did though.

A lot of the blended sweet/snarkness of B99 can find its roots in the middle seasons of Parks & Rec.

• Love 2

Honestly I was with you the first time because the first season and the first few episodes of the second season like the gay penguin weren't that great, but starting with the "Hunting Trip" episode the show got amazing IMO. Leslie Knope became one of the great TV characters, along with Ron Swanson. Chris Pratt's Andy Dwyer went from being the jerk living in the ditch to one of the funniest and most endearing characters ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N2jRPRyKWg

• Love 6

Honestly, I'm twice burned with that show, so it'll be a long time before I consider giving it another chance. But I don't mind Chris Pratt (now that I know it was him in The Lego Movie and a small role in Moneyball).

I guess I could complain about Amy being kind of in the background in this one, but she still had some great moments.  I liked how as soon as Jake told her about the files, it never was a question that she was going the help him out.  I really do love that the show is still making Jake/Amy work, despite him revealing he has feeling for her.

This is something that really worked for me too. Her reaction to Jake's confession was not to yell at him or call him stupid or mock him, she was immediately truly concerned that he might get in trouble. Very sweet, genuine moment, and it's moments like those that lift this above a typical 'will they, won't they', UST type relationship. These two really do care about one another. Sure, she yelled at him a minute later, but he did antagonise her.

Their friendship seems real, their joy in each other's company seems real. I think they could easily make the inevitable romance seem real without it getting overly dramatic. I actually think these writers could do it without Jake/Amy taking over the show. Hope I'm not disappointed.

• Love 2

For Holt's middle name, I loved Jake's guesses of Jojo and Juicebox.

I thought Jamiroquai was the best, personally :)

Those were my three favorite!

There have been silent discos at music festivals (and a few clubs) for a while and as dorky as they look, I support anything that lets you keep your loud bad music confined to your ears. It's also fun to walk by and see all these people rocking out without hearing the music. I remember back in the late 80s/early 90s, some musician said during an interview that one of the silly things he liked to do was turn on Club MTV, mute his tv, put on something non-top 40 like Butthole Surfers, and watch everyone dance to different music. Kinda like that.

• Love 3

I agree with everyone, this was a standout episode for Andre Braugher. I also didn't realize until now that his SO is Marc Evan Jackson, who plays Sparks Nevada on the Thrilling Adventure Hour. I find that incredibly awesome.

I liked this last year, but it's getting better and better.  Great acting and writing.  And they seemed to have noticed that Gina was horrible and toned her down.  She's now a little more like a Michael Scott.

I think it's like Parks and Rec. If you recall, the first season Leslie Knope was awful and self-centered, almost just a cartoon character.  In subsequent seasons, they fixed her character, and I believe that made the show a success. 

B99 also has two Jerry's in Scully & Hitchcock.

I guess this was the end for Wuntch/Hold feud, for the time being? It was a pretty neat storyline, and gave Holt something new to do. I liked it.

I doubt that this is far from over. I can't get enough.

I was trying to guess Holt's middle name throughout the episode. I figured we would never find out, so I decided it was "Judge" (named after his mother). But the reveal that it's "Jacob" (and Peralta's reaction) was so much better.

I think Gina wouldn't be nearly as annoying if she didn't use that affected voice. It makes even her less ridiculous behaviors seem deliberately obnoxious. I think if she had a normal voice, she would blend in more as just another quirky freak in the office. That said, I think one of the best things about this show is how it has the characters deal with relationship issues in an adult manner. So much comedy is based on people acting crazy or stupid, and here they have been giving us great amusement while still having the people be surprisingly mature at times. This week with Gina and Boyle is an awesome example of that-- and not only the two of them, but also Jake and Amy deciding to support rather than take advantage of the opportunity to mock. Impressive.

• Love 3

I love that even knowing all the jokes in advance I still laughed out loud. Repeatedly.

Boyle's lies are amazing. One of my biggest pet peeves is when characters, from sitcoms to Spider-Man, lie terribly. (Honestly it's the worst from superheroes - you live a lie, be good at it goddammit!)

• Love 2

On rewatch, I did discover one flaw: a misuse of words (one that many people have done), all the worse as it was said by Holt, who is such a stickler for grammar and usage. He said "flaunt" when he meant "flout."

• Love 1

I adored how in sync Amy and Jake's reactions were to the reveal of Boyle and Gina. Wonder how long the actors had to practice that?

This episode was just fantastic. I really love it when they mix the cast together and we get different pairings each week.

And yeah...mesh in the underwear? That's....cause for concern, I'd say. ;)

Jake, if you wanted to get Amy aroused, rather than pretend to be a bad boy, you should have sneaked out some of Holt's guest pajamas for her. :D

• Love 5

I can't say I agree with the implication that she's so out of his league and should therefore be considered brave for admitting to sleeping with him, though---honestly, Gina's a mean, selfish and fairly horrible person, a screwup, and not, IMO, even physically attractive. 

The concept of leagues has nothing to do with how nice you are, and Chelsea Peretti has a great figure. But more importantly it is totally in character for Gina to believe she is way out of Charles' league, regardless of what you or I may think. ETA: it's also totally in character for Charles to agree with her on that point.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 13
I adored how in sync Amy and Jake's reactions were to the reveal of Boyle and Gina.

Yes. And I loved how every time Boyle revealed something about their sex life there was a Jake "ew" then an Amy "ew" then finally a Gina "ew."

• Love 3

On rewatch, I did discover one flaw: a misuse of words (one that many people have done), all the worse as it was said by Holt, who is such a stickler for grammar and usage. He said "flaunt" when he meant "flout."

I usually watch with the cc on so that I don't miss one juicy morsel of dialogue. I rewound. Is it possible that Holt/Braugher said "flout" but the cc said "flaunt"?

When Peralta pulled out his back-up powdered donut, what exactly caused it to explode all over the car, Amy trying to grab it?

"You had chalk on your hands the next morning." I wonder if they could have had Boyle and Gina react to that, as if they somehow worked chalk into their shenanigans the night before.

I usually watch with the cc on so that I don't miss one juicy morsel of dialogue. I rewound. Is it possible that Holt/Braugher said "flout" but the cc said "flaunt"?

Alas, no. I just watched again. Braugher said "You have been known to flaunt departmental rules and regulations" clear as could be. As in, ostentatiously show them off.

When Peralta pulled out his back-up powdered donut, what exactly caused it to explode all over the car, Amy trying to grab it?

Yes, which is the delicious irony, of course. If she hadn't had that instant reaction to the sight, her car might still be inviolate.

"You had chalk on your hands the next morning." I wonder if they could have had Boyle and Gina react to that, as if they somehow worked chalk into their shenanigans the night before.

That would lessen it for me (as well as being insanely confusing to convey via reactions -- what's the pantomime symbol for "we use chalk in sex"?). The whole point of the chalk is that it's part of Charles's insanely complex and detailed web of lies about fictional evening activities, to throw Jake off track.

Edited by Rinaldo

Alas, no. I just watched again. Braugher said "You have been known to flaunt departmental rules and regulations" clear as could be. As in, ostentatiously show them off.

In his defense, he had been awake all night (assuming I'm thinking of the right moment).

• Love 1

Thank you, Rinaldo, for replying. "Alas," indeed!! Holt would never make that mistake.

Oh, I totally agree with regard to the chalk. I was just curious, because this cast is so talented, I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to convey subtly with their body language that, Boyle had purchased chalk (because when he lies, he really commits to the lie), they used it, Boyle still thought that it enhanced some aspect of their night together, but Gina was still skeeved by it.

Wanted to add that I enjoyed Amy telling Gina that the last time she texted her, it was more than a year ago. "Sup, Rosa?" Followed by, "Nevermind."

Edited by hoodooznoodooz