Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Going Rogue

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

The awesome thing about this show is that even when it's not so great, it's still a lot of fun.  I didn't really dig this episode.  Mostly because I'm getting a bit bored with the villain of the week.  I'm wanting a season long arc, hoping the mystery of Barry's mom isn't it for a seasonal arc.  However, it was still so much fun to watch even when I wasn't really into it.  

The awesome thing about this show is that even when it's not so great, it's still a lot of fun.

I liked it, but yes.  There were some good moments whether or not you liked the main story.  I liked EBR's performance as part fangirl, part heroine in her own right with the hacking.  I also liked that at least this VOTW was NOT from The Accident, and had an origin story that was part plausible (tech genius doesn't know Barry enough to trust him completely) and part alt-physics (cold just doesn't work that way.)  That Captain Cold evolved from "pretty effective criminal" to adding the glasses and then the parka at the end was a nice touch.

Did anyone else think the lighting at the beginning was more clearly a guy in a yellow flash outfit?  (Several possibilities as to who/why.)

Can Felicity now take her happy ass back to Arrow and stay there? I don't want that show infecting this one.

This post bothered me because I felt it was unnecessary and rude. If this show stumbled it'd be more because of the show itself and not because an Arrow alumnus made an appearance. 

Not really sure what the point was, other than smokin' hot eye candy. Her presence felt jarring story-line-wise.

What is the point of anything?

Just like in Arrow, Felicity served as the voice for any audience concern, she also helped with future foundation for Iris/Barry. Iris wasn't jealous of Felicity, but some of her remarks shows how deeply she feels for him that will eventually change into romantic feelings. But, most importantly, it shows that Barry is so far gone that he can't even date someone who is hypothetically well suited and available. Any romance between Felicity and Barry only served to highlight that they wanted other people. 

I was doing something else when this show came on, then I heard Wentworth Miller's voice and stopped immediately to watch. OMG, hello Michael Scoffield, my very first TV boyfriend!

I LOL-ed at Cisco's gun being Star's vacuum cleaner with a lot of LEDs. I'm guessing a lot of shows use a vacuum to represent high-tech weapons and only The Flash's Cisco admits it.

Interesting we got Felicity's back story on this show and not on that other one. She was just Queen's IT person there.

Loved her comment about Oliver and his salmon ladder. That seems to be a constant in her dialogue, as it is in my brain.

I can't see the connection between Iris and Barry. He needs to get on with it, she's just not that into you. Although now that her relationship with Joe's partner has been revealed, look for him to be killed soon.

Odd that Felicity fits in Arrow but not the cast of this show. What's up with that? The kiss at the end was heartbreaking though. Young people need to learn sometimes they don't get a second chance.

• Love 1

Just like in Arrow, Felicity served as the voice for any audience concern, she also helped with future foundation for Iris/Barry. Iris wasn't jealous of Felicity, but some of her remarks shows how deeply she feels for him that will eventually change into romantic feelings. But, most importantly, it shows that Barry is so far gone that he can't even date someone who is hypothetically well suited and available. Any romance between Felicity and Barry only served to highlight that they wanted other people.

I don't even think her purpose was solely to help Barry realize he's in love Iris. Felicity provided a perspective on Team Flash that no one else logically could have when it came to dealing with contention. She's been in the same situation before with her team...a lot. She was there to teach Barry, Cisco, and Caitlin that no matter what hurt feelings might exist, you still support each other and get the job done.

Interesting we got Felicity's back story on this show and not on that other one. She was just Queen's IT person there.

Loved her comment about Oliver and his salmon ladder. That seems to be a constant in her dialogue, as it is in my brain.

Still bitter that we've gotten more character development for her on The Flash than on Arrow.

And yes, so glad the salmon ladder got a mention since Oliver working out on it has been tragically absent this season. /shallow

As to this episode, I really enjoyed it. It was definitely an improvement over last week, and as a fan of lighter comic-based entertainment, I'm digging the fun tone of the show. I know the show has gotten some critique about the special effects being somewhat cheesy, but I thought they were really quite excellent--especially in the train scene. For a TV show on the CW, I don't expect movie quality CGI, but that scene was fantastic.

Honestly I don't really have a preference as to whom Barry ends up with romantically as I like both Iris and Caitlin, so count me out of the shipping wars. I, do however, think that Iris gets unnecessarily criticized for things beyond her control since she isn't aware of Barry's identity and isn't part of his team. I appreciated that she was so keen on fixing up Barry with Felicity because it shows just how much she cares for him.

Major LOL to the scene in the car between Joe and Eddie. The flipping between radio channels only to find songs about love/sex after Joe insisting he doesn't want to hear anything about Eddie's love life with his daughter was classic. Well done, show.

• Love 1

To people confused about why the Flash Mob let Cold "get away": Cisco and co. were running a massive balls-out bluff. The device they claimed was a prototype cold gun was really a prop. They didn't have a working cold gun and possibly any weapon. They were lucky Cold bought it and/or decided it wasn't worth it to harm civilians when he already got what he came for. Barry was still "frozen."

It requires a) the idiot plot that there was no security on these highly dangerous weapons and no surveillance on them

I get why the Flash Mob let him get away.  What I don't get is why multiple people (the cops, the security guard) with guns didn't just shoot him.  Yes, I know, not politically correct and stuff.  But he has a huge gun and he's clearly out to hurt people.  At the very least, maybe someone could have taken a shot at the freeze gun itself and tried to disable it?

I'm honestly terrified of Wells--that dude is creepier than any villain on The Flash and Arrow. I was afraid (am afraid) he might do something to whoever gets on his bad side. I saw this with that one guy he killed, but the way he spoke to Cisco really disturbed me.

I agree- he creeps me out.  The scene with Cisco was easily the most intense for me.  I have a feeling Cisco might end up being the show's woobie/punching bag character.

I don't know @Shanna

I'm very divided on Wells motives. he's either from the future or he knows what is going to happen. so i'm still sticking with my pet theory that he's Dr. Fate. but it is also possible that he is a completely new character the way Diggle was on Arrow. Either way, he does seem, right now, to want to protect Barry. perhaps he was a Flash villain in the future (his past) and when flash disappeared he crossed to the good side, went back in time vowing to make sure the Flash survive and that everything that happened won't happen.

I have no idea who Dr. Fate is, but I'm betting Wells is bad news. He's lying to everyone about his ability to walk, has killed a man in cold blood and though he wasn't over the top angry over Cisco's mistake in making the freeze gun, his menacing calm was a little frightening.

I don't know what his long game is, but I don't think it will bode well for Barry.

I LOL-ed at Cisco's gun being Star's vacuum cleaner with a lot of LEDs. I'm guessing a lot of shows use a vacuum to represent high-tech weapons and only The Flash's Cisco admits it.

I'm a big fan of Disney XD's show "Lab Rats" (please don't judge me).  They had an episode that involved a freeze gun, and it was completely obvious that the gun was actually a Dyson hand-held vacuum cleaner with a few modifications.  I mean, they didn't even bother to change the color.  So I'm sure ordinary stuff becomes other stuff all the time on tv.  :)

• Love 1

This post bothered me because I felt it was unnecessary and rude. If this show stumbled it'd be more because of the show itself and not because an Arrow alumnus made an appearance. 

What is the point of anything?

No, I don't feel I was rude at all (to whom, anyway?) and I felt my comment was very necessary. Thanks. I don't want to see her on The Flash. She can stay on Arrow and let her geek flag fly. I think Arrow sucks and I don't want it infecting the lightness, fun and so far enjoyment I get from The Flash. Now, if my overall lack of love for the character of Felicity is the real problem, oh well. Not everyone (despite what some may think) loves Felicity and guess what? Those folks (myself included) are just as entitled to that opinion and stating it as anyone else. So, no, it wasn't unnecessary and rude. 

• Love 5

I have no idea who Dr. Fate is, but I'm betting Wells is bad news. He's lying to everyone about his ability to walk, has killed a man in cold blood and though he wasn't over the top angry over Cisco's mistake in making the freeze gun, his menacing calm was a little frightening.

I don't know what his long game is, but I don't think it will bode well for Barry.

Yeah, he seriously creeps me out, with felicity and Cisco this week. And he's been sketchy all along.

I like Cisco even he reminds me a but too much of Jacob from twilight. I actually thought it made more sense for him to develop a weapon early on, since he doesnt know Barry very well at this point. All those other people have worked together before.

Also power corrupts so you never know with people.

Are iris and Barry some kind of couple in the comics? I hope not because I don't really see any romantic chemistry there. Although some of it may be the actor because I didn't see it with felicity either but I took it as his being hung up on iris. So don't know. I defiantly think he's doing a good job of seeming intent on her, but I can't see the two of them as a couple.

Edited by Shanna
I don't even think her purpose was solely to help Barry realize he's in love Iris. Felicity provided a perspective on Team Flash that no one else logically could have when it came to dealing with contention. She's been in the same situation before with her team...a lot. She was there to teach Barry, Cisco, and Caitlin that no matter what hurt feelings might exist, you still support each other and get the job done.

Well, in my other post, I said that Felicity served a variety of purposes, I just focused on this one in the second post. It was really in response to someone asking what her purpose was.

No, I don't feel I was rude at all (to whom, anyway?) and I felt my comment was very necessary. Thanks. I don't want to see her on The Flash. She can stay on Arrow and let her geek flag fly. I think Arrow sucks and I don't want it infecting the lightness, fun and so far enjoyment I get from The Flash. Now, if my overall lack of love for the character of Felicity is the real problem, oh well. Not everyone (despite what some may think) loves Felicity and guess what? Those folks (myself included) are just as entitled to that opinion and stating it as anyone else. So, no, it wasn't unnecessary and rude.

Honestly, I don't care if you like Felicity or not, you can have whatever opinion you want, but that doesn't mean it can't be rude and unnecessary. Also, it's quite clear how you feel about Arrow, which is why I said Arrow alumnus and not Felicity, I comprehended your disdain for both, but noticed the difference. Also, I was in disagreement that an Arrow alumnus is going to infect The Flash all because you don't like her and Arrow. Believe me, I know that everyone doesn't like her, but I don't understand the visceral reaction whether if it's directed at her OR anyone from Arrow (not even Laurel and I loathe her). And since everyone are entitled to opinions, mine is that yours was rude and unnecessary and I'm allowed to feel that way. Obviously, you disagree.

• Love 2

I think that we're supposed to believe that Cold is that much of a bad-ass Alpha dog that he made other folks cower and not think or act rationally. He basically stared down the museum guard and was like, "Do you feel lucky?" And the museum guard bailed. Eddie did take a shot at him IIRC which got him to bounce and not kill Joe. 

The show sort of lampshades that with Flash himself. In all his super-speeding, he doesn't take the 10 seconds it would take to find Cold and knock him senseless by ambushing him from behind.

Even before when he was just Snart, the notion that Barry couldn't have run the wounded guard to the hospital in under a minute and then caught up to Snart is basically for plot purposes only.  

I watched the show with my brother and his friends who are huge Flash fans. They have been saying that something was not right between Iris and Barry since the show began.  They finally agreed that Iris is going to be The Flash's Laurel Lance.  I don't see it because I don't think she's that bad. Then again I'm not a Flash fan at all. 

The show sort of lampshades that with Flash himself. In all his super-speeding, he doesn't take the 10 seconds it would take to find Cold and knock him senseless by ambushing him from behind.

Less than 10 seconds in Flash time! I wondered why Barry didn't just speed forward, grab Cold and put him in the police department. But then, we wouldn't have Michael, er, ah, Cold, to look foward to in new eps. So I'm okay with that.

I do like Barry, he's cute and engaging. And he really doesn't need a girlfriend so I wish he'd get over Iris, that's sort of a sister/brother thing that could be ick. If Joe is freaked by her teaming with his partner, that would be even more squiggy if she teamed with his "son." When Barry gets older, he'll realize that girls are a distraction *cougholiverqueencough*.

For NumberCruncher: SALMON LADDER! Heh.

• Love 3

I don't think iris the actress is bad(like KC) but the way she is written and the way the characters interact onscreen just isn't screaming true love to me. It's screaming unrequited love that Barry needs to get over because she sees you as family. I don't dislike the character though. I like her and her doofy boyfriend and her dad and her friendship with Barry. She was sweetly supportive of him with felicity even if she's totally not getting that Barry has a thing for her. Or she is and she wants to make sure he knows to move on with his life.

Not thrilled with her being a journalist interested in the flash because come on.... Been there done that dc.

I do think there may be an argument that the show runners don't know how to set up a canon couple properly. I've been thinking KC was probably forced on them and just didn't work but I don't see that being the problem here. Here I don't particularly enjoy watching Barry mope over someone who is not interested.

Edited by Shanna
  • Love 4

Ok maybe this has been mentioned, but how did Cold manage to only blast a ring of ice to contain Barry? Are there settings on the gun like> Kill >ice handcuffs> Ice cubes for my Hawaiian punch? I didn't see the tutorial from the dude that sold it to him lol

This is completely superficial, but Felicity has quite a body on her. I liked her dress.

• Love 7

I don't think iris the actress is bad(like KC) but the way she is written and the way the characters interact onscreen just isn't screaming true love to me. It's screaming unrequited love that Barry needs to get over because she sees you as family. I don't dislike the character though. I like her and her doofy boyfriend and her dad and her friendship with Barry. She was sweetly supportive of him with felicity even if she's totally not getting that Barry has a thing for her. Or she is and she wants to make sure he knows to move on with his life.

Not thrilled with her being a journalist interested in the flash because come on.... Been there done that dc.

I do think there may be an argument that the show runners don't know how to set up a canon couple properly. I've been thinking KC was probably forced on them and just didn't work but I don't see that being the problem here. Here I don't particularly enjoy watching Barry mope over someone who is not interested.

I agree. I quite like Iris and CP, but I'm not seeing any interest in Barry romantically on her part, not even a hint. These EPs have had with the same problem on Arrow, though I think it's for different reason (poor Laurel characterization and a lack of chemistry between the two actors), but I'm baffled why they didn't rectify that problem on The Flash. I think TPTB are going to end up in the same boat as they are with Arrow with viewers preferring Barry with Caitlin or anyone else who isn't the canonical comic love interest.

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 1

Re: the trivia competition, there's no way that Barry and Felicity don't know what the Millenium Falcon is, nor any way that they would let Eddie answer that incorrectly. They should have chosen something way more obscure.

It was implied that Eddie got all excited and hit the wrong answer before anyone could offer their opinion or stop him.  So him getting an easy one wrong is kind of hilarious.

On a side note, there is something about Eddie's voice that I'm an enjoying a lot.  It's not exactly low or gravely but it is distinct. 

• Love 4

I don't see romantic chemistry between anyone on the show, Iris and Eddie, Iris and Barry, Barry and anyone, etc.   I don't think it is the acting, I think it is the writing. So far we have been given nothing to indicate why Barry is in love with Iris.  On her part, sometimes it is just a matter of not thinking of a person in a certain way because you've never thought of it as an option.   I would rather see them falling in love than have to go on what happened off screen before

As one of the few people that actually do not want Felicity and Oliver together on Arrow, I also don't think she had any chemistry with Barry.  I couldn't get into this episode for some reason.

I actually think the character Eddie is the most boring and the most poorly acted.  I don't think the show would miss anything if he were not around.

Are iris and Barry some kind of couple in the comics?

I believe they were married.  However, Barry wasn't taken in by Iris's father in the comic books.  At least not originally.  I don't know what kind of ret-conning they've done in the comic storylines. 

Meh, crossover episodes.  Meh.  I hate them on principle, and this specific one didn't change my mind and float my boat either.

Not 100% sold on Captain Cold either. I mean Wentworth Miller is excellent, but I'm very hesitant about a Supervillian who's whole shtick is a single gun he has no idea how it operates other than pointing and shooting (so he can't fix it, expand on it, etc.) and being ruthless.  It makes Cold a paper-tiger.  Sure he can go nuts and kill lots of people by being ruthless, but a single well placed bullet can end him too.

Well, sure.  Flash comics, circa 1956.  

I believe the pesky journalist was named... was it Rose?  No... I'm thinking Iris!!!

I'm also very torn on both Captain Cold and

Heat Wave ("Mick") both being really ruthless killers and career criminals.  It actually fits the second character in terms of the comics, but the first not at all (at least with most versions of him).

Normally I like Felicity on Arrow, but damn, she bored me to tears in this ep. Too much dispensing of sage advice. Also her black dress was a perfect example of how Felicity's wardrobe went from cute and quirky in season one to hawt and sexy in season two. I miss my season one Felicity.

In fact I was bored for most of this ep. Iris irritated the hell out of me, but I'm not a fan of the character anyway. I think it was just too much talking overall. And yeah, I kept wondering why Barry just didn't run around and whack Wentworth Miller in the head.

• Love 1

I agree. She's doing way better than Laurel on Arrow, and Lana on Smallville... and Barbara on Gotham. The only thing I'm a little worried about is how they'll resolve the Barry's crush on her; because he's so far into the Friend Zone, he's in the Brother Zone.

But I do like their relationship as it is now (well, minus her not knowing he has superpowers). I can't think of another show where the male and female lead start off as good friends, and have a history of being friends.

• Love 4

Fan-freaking-tastic episode, damn near perfect. Captain Cold was an awesome villain. Barry/Felicity were adorable, sweet little cuties.

For once I agree. I can only hope this is the show hitting its stride and not just a Felicity-blip. I enjoyed it from end to end.

• Love 1

Felicity is a delight and I wish she migrated to Arrow permanently. Sorry, but I can't stand Oliver. I also think she and Iris would be great friends and after this episode, I kind of ship them!

No more secrets, huh? I hope Joe feels bad. He should feel bad and I hope it comes back to bite him in the ass.

• Love 1

Felicity is a delight and I wish she migrated to Arrow permanently. Sorry, but I can't stand Oliver. I also think she and Iris would be great friends and after this episode, I kind of ship them!

No more secrets, huh? I hope Joe feels bad. He should feel bad and I hope it comes back to bite him in the ass.

No need to apologize, Oliver is a douche. I dropped Arrow after the first season.

• Love 3

Normally I like Felicity on Arrow, but damn, she bored me to tears in this ep. Too much dispensing of sage advice. Also her black dress was a perfect example of how Felicity's wardrobe went from cute and quirky in season one to hawt and sexy in season two. I miss my season one Felicity.

Not only that, but if she had just popped up to check in on Barry and has no romantic feelings towards him, I can't see her having been all, "Well let me take the black strappy dress just in case we go to trivia night...."

• Love 1

The awesome thing about this show is that even when it's not so great, it's still a lot of fun.

This.  I see the show's flaws, but I find myself not caring because it's so much fun to watch.  (And Barry is kind of adorable). 

• Love 1

...I see the show's flaws, but I find myself not caring because it's so much fun to watch...

How can I not have fun with a show whose latest villain's last name is a cross between "snot" and "shart".  SNART.  That's good all-American kindergarten humor there (no sarcasm, and no offense intended to Canada--I'm sure you guys have good kindergarten humor too).

Edited by some1105

Dr. Fate is a DCU superhero (well superhero's, several individuals over the years have worn "Fate" helmet) which, if i didn't screw my understanding has the ability- thank to the helmet- to see the future.

Dr.Fate's abilities are vast and magical in nature, though. Whoever he is, Harrison's a master of science and is using science to see in the future. (Hence the Central City Citizen from the future on a machine." Not to mention that there's no incarnation of Dr. Fate who would stab a person in cold blood. 

This show is just simple, great superhero fun, and I try not to read too much deep into it.

I think they did a great job of casting the Flash, and throughout the episode I kept thinking what a great Peter Parker -Grant Gustin (Barry) would make.  Too bad he won't be in DC movie world.  (Are you recasting, Sony?)

• Love 1

Weighing in on Felicity's non-scientific wardrobe....In my former (i.e. younger) life, I was a software engineer who wore lots of cute short dresses and skirts and heels. Partly because I was young, partly because I was single with more disposable income. However, I still laugh every time Felicity makes an appearance with yet another never before seen cute dress. Go Felicity. If I were around the guys she's around all the time, I'd probably dress up, too. As an older person I'd definitely go for slacks and flats, though. Comfort above all!!!

On another topic, as a tried and true Ed fan way back when, I'm loving Tom Cavanagh as Wells. I don't care if he's evil or not!

• Love 4

Okay, I would never admit it on the Arrow forum but it was so nice to see Felicity here and I wasn't looking forward to her at there was a lot of Felicity propping but otherwise she fit in so well with the rest of the cast. This episode was really heart-warming, I just love the cast of characters so much. Everyone is so self-aware and you can really see the bond and closeness between the characters. Loved Iris apologizing to her Dad and bonding with Felicity, such a cute and sweet episode. Wentworth Miller..........Ah! A+ for me.

P.S That Barry and Felicity kiss was a long time coming, so sweet and natural, reminded me of the innocence of Clark and Chloe is season 1 Smallville. I love this show.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 2

In fact I was bored for most of this ep. Iris irritated the hell out of me, but I'm not a fan of the character anyway. I think it was just too much talking overall. And yeah, I kept wondering why Barry just didn't run around and whack Wentworth Miller in the head.

Felicity's changed though.She went from hiding out in the IT department to being Ollie's assistant (and as someone else said got a shit load of money and probably bought her self some goodies apart from the money she spent on the cave)and hitting the society shindigs ,and now she is upgraded again at QC to have what was Oliver and Moira's office as her own .So the wardrobe got 'flasher' as she got promoted.She did have more costume changes in the episode than Carrie Underwood at the CMA's though.She is heading towards being  a lot more like OG Felicity from the comics now as she climbs the corporate ladder.

Her and Caitlin would probably be friends now that the secrets about their charges are out .Which is a bit weird as OG Felicity

ended up being Firestorm's step mother and Caitlin was going to marry him

Weighing in on Felicity's non-scientific wardrobe....In my former (i.e. younger) life, I was a software engineer who wore lots of cute short dresses and skirts and heels. Partly because I was young, partly because I was single with more disposable income. However, I still laugh every time Felicity makes an appearance with yet another never before seen cute dress. Go Felicity. If I were around the guys she's around all the time, I'd probably dress up, too. As an older person I'd definitely go for slacks and flats, though. Comfort above all!!!

It's just that there's a noticeable difference between the clothes she wore on season one of Arrow -- funky jewelry, quirky clothes, crazy lipstick -- and the clothes she wears now. That's the only reason I care. I mean, THAT DRESS from last night's episode? I was so distracted by that dress that I couldn't concentrate on the scene. And I'm a 100 percent straight woman!

Felicity's changed though.She went from hiding out in the IT department to being Ollie's assistant (and as someone else said got a shit load of money and probably bought her self some goodies apart from the money she spent on the cave)and hitting the society shindigs ,and now she is upgraded again at QC to have what was Oliver and Moira's office as her own .So the wardrobe got 'flasher' as she got promoted.

I can buy this as a reasonable explanation for her wardrobe change.

• Love 1

Well, sure. Flash comics, circa 1956.

I believe the pesky journalist was named... was it Rose? No... I'm thinking Iris!!!

So all dc comics are just variants on other dc comics? (Iris=Lois lane, arrow = batman...)

Not only that, but if she had just popped up to check in on Barry and has no romantic feelings towards him, I can't see her having been all, "Well let me take the black strappy dress just in case we go to trivia night...."

This is a girl who wears a back cut out dress and heels to work in a basement lair. And is from Vegas. Maybe her sense of appropriate outfits is skewed. Although I prefer the idea that she was trying to do Barry a solid. Edited by Shanna
  • Love 2

So all dc comics are just variants on other dc comics?

No, not exactly.  A thing to remember though is that at the time these characters were being created, the business model was, more or less, " Comic [X] sells  [X amount] of copies?! Make me a couple more like that!"  It happened at Marvel too, and both of The Big Two use/d ideas from each other. It's down to the actual characters and how they are allowed to grow, imo.  Just because something starts as a copy, doesn't mean that the second version can't stand on it's own.

That is why I'm so excited about the potential of The Flash Mob and other folks brought in. They can be what some of us are expecting or those expectations can be swerved and an interesting angle taken.

I like that Captain Cold is just a guy. Not everyone has to be an evil meta-human.

Barry's a scientist and works with science folks. Being smart and fighting efficiently is better than just having wall-to-wall fights ( and I am into that aspect on Arrow!) Barry is still in early days, so he's learning what works and what doesn't. Now? Barry knows not to endanger train passengers and just whoosh Snart into a cell at the CCPD. The team is still  figuring out what Barry's limits are, so that is what is so cool to me. The learning process. The feeling out of Barry's powers.

I don't exactly get the title of the episode. Leonard was "rogue" already, unless they mean joining the Rogue's Gallery. Felicity didn't go rogue. Cisco, nominally, with the building of the cold (and I'm guessing the heat) gun?  Against the supposed principles of S.T.A.R., by building a weapon?  Harrison, by showing the scary side a bit?

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 1

I don't exactly get the title of the episode. Leonard was "rogue" already, unless they mean joining the Rogue's Gallery. Felicity didn't go rogue. Cisco, nominally, with the building of the cold (and I'm guessing the heat) gun?  Against the supposed principles of S.T.A.R., by building a weapon?  Harrison, by showing the scary side a bit?

Certainly they mean joining (or in this case forming) the Rogue's Gallery. It's one of the biggest touchstones of the Flash mythos.

The very last scene was vital to that too (whereas they typically are just kind of tacked on, in this case it felt like an essential scene).

• Love 2

I've never read the comics and have no knowledge of the pairings in them. I really enjoyed this episode. Loved seeing Felicity interacting with Flash's Team. I think that Grant Gustin is doing a great job. I totally buy his sense of "goodness" without being jaded as of yet. I don't see any indication at all that Iris has any romantic interest in Barry - none. All I see is her being his childhood best friend and guiding him towards Felicity who she believes would be perfect for him. Cracked up when the Team showed up at the train station lugging the vacuum cleaner. Great scene.

• Love 1

Why is it a problem that Iris shows no chemistry with Barry right now? She's dating another guy! It would be weird if she did at this point because it means she's leading on her boyfriend. And it's only the fourth episode. The writers will have a whole season or even multiple seasons to develop a relationship between Barry and Iris. Given that they are married in the comics, I think they are probably the endgame which means the writers have the entirety of the show's run to bring them together. I don't think they need to display romantic chemistry right now. They just need Barry and Iris to be likable in their own right and be played by capable actors. So far, I think they both fit the bill. Yes, it will take a lot of work to get them to the point of being a believable romantic couple (she has to break up with Eddie, for one thing), but this show will have time to do that work. Especially since at this rate I'm pretty sure it's getting a second season.

Edited by Xantar
  • Love 7

Late to the party, but I thought it was the best episode yet. I'm done with Arrow, so it was really nice to see Felicity because it's the only way I'm getting to see her these days, and I actually liked her here more than I often did on Arrow (I'm not an Olicity fan - she's way too good for Oliver). I think I might be shipping her with Barry a little, though - they are really cute, and his chemistry with her is so much better than with either Iris (with whom it's so sibling it hurts) or Caitlyn (whose actress is just not good). 

But even without Felicity, it was a solid episode. Cisco, whom I considered the weakest link on the show after the first ep or two, gets something to do (which is interesting and reasonably dramatic), we get the requisite team building and Barry finally gets his first loss (the villain is free and an innocent is dead). Also, a few really funny lines.

I'm also convinced that Wells isn't a villain. The writing/camera work for him is just too on the nose for that. It's bound to be a red herring. I still enjoy him the most of the cast and can't wait to learn more.

• Love 2

Why is it a problem that Iris shows no chemistry with Barry right now? She's dating another guy! It would be weird if she did at this point because it means she's leading on her boyfriend. And it's only the fourth episode. The writers will have a whole season or even multiple seasons to develop a relationship between Barry and Iris. Given that they are married in the comics, I think they are probably the endgame which means the writers have the entirety of the show's run to bring them together.

I totally agree! I have no expectation of these two getting together right now. I'm sure Barry will date Caitlin and any number of others before they come together, as will Iris.

It reminds me of the show, Merlin. Obviously Arthur and Gwen were ultimately going to be together because, duh, but the entire first season there was no hint of a romantic attachment between them.

• Love 3

I've rewatched the train sequence so many times. It's an awesome moment for Barry that I honestly thought would happen later in the season down the line when he was more experienced.

Felicity was great not just for Barry's love life but for helping Team Flash realize they have to stick by Barry no matter what, even he's pissed at them.

Love Wentworth Miller's more badass take on Captain Cold.

• Love 3

I liked Captain Cold. Flash's battles with Captain Cold paralleled greatly with the opening scene where he was able excel in the ability based games of ping pong and Operation but not so much with the analytical chess game. I especially like that while Snart's not a meta-human that he's now exceling thanks to the events of the lightening storm in another way.  At the end of the episode, the question wasn't why they let him go, it should've been why he let them go since he clearly had the advantage.

The interpersonal relationships worked. I liked that Cisco was smart enough to make a contingency plan even if I find it hard to believe that he did so without Wells's knowledge. I appreciate the menace that Wells brings to the lab. That scene at the end where he refused to let Cisco off the hook was awesome. I even liked the evolution of Joe and Eddie's relationship. I also like that they avoided the normal pratfalls that come with incorporating a character like Caitlin into a group like this. She's serious, but she's not over the top with it.

I guess this is going to be a weekly thing so let's just pencil this in as my weekly "wtf are they doing with Iris rant." So basically it's not enough that the only time that Iris gets to spend with either  Joe or Barry, is when she hunts them down, now she has to run her relationships by them because it might hurt their feelings? Did the show seriously imply that Joe acted like a five year old and ignored his daughter because he didn't want her to be a police woman? Why is it that Joe is more of a father to Barry then he is to his actual daughter? Joe only remembers he has a daughter when he realizes that he needs to protect her? Why  am I supposed to root for her to wind up with Barry when the only person who seemingly gives a damn about anything she wants is Eddie?

I guess I don't get Felicity because that over the top quirkiness was fairly annoying to me. I will give the show props for finding interesting ways to incorporate Felicity into this episode and helping battle Captain Cold.  As for the black dress, that was all for Barry. She had no idea about Barry's feeling for Iris until she saw his reaction to Eddie/Iris.  I think she  didn't correct him on her situation with Oliver because she didn't want to make the situation awkward.

• Love 1

Did the show seriously imply that Joe acted like a five year old and ignored his daughter because he didn't want her to be a police woman? 

I have such a huge problem with this. I understand Joe doesn't want his daughter to get hurt, blah, blah, blah, but am I supposed to be okay with preventing women from pursuing whatever career they want in 2014? Because I'm not. 

• Love 3

Did the show seriously imply that Joe acted like a five year old and ignored his daughter because he didn't want her to be a police woman?

I'm already tired of using the word paternalistic in regard to this show but Joe was a complete ass to almost everybody in this episode and a particularly paternalistic ass to his daughter. Which would be fine except I felt the show seemed to be saying we should be sympathising with his general ass-hattery because he's a DAD.

I have such a huge problem with this. I understand Joe doesn't want his daughter to get hurt, blah, blah, blah, but am I supposed to be okay with preventing women from pursuing whatever career they want in 2014? Because I'm not.

I don't know why TV thinks Dads behaving like that is fatherhood. It isn't. My Dad happen to be old-fashioned and paternalistic and even he wouldn't have pulled this shit on me.

Edited by AudienceofOne
  • Love 2

I don't know why TV thinks Dads behaving like that is fatherhood

^THIS!  I remember in the pilot, Joe said something that irritated me about keeping her out of law enforcement. I held my judgment, waiting for clarity from the show. Then they make Jessie L. Martin say such rubbish as overprotective-but loving Joe and I missed the words in the rest of the scene! I don't know who I am more disappointed in: Iris, for applying and being accepted into the police academy but dropping out because Joe was assy about it, or Joe, who told Iris he wouldn't support her in any way, while supporting Barry who ended up a forensic scientist for the police department!

That has been the stupidest thing TPTB have had Joe do. The keeping-Iris-in-the-dark thing isn't going to last. Right?