Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E13: Jill's Wedding

I think she was channelling the Tin Man. All she needed was a funnel on her head.

And didn't he need a heart, just like her? 

Bwahaahahahaaaa Umm MEchelle should  have taken a cue from Grandma and gotten a simple but elegant dress. Deanna looked great, Famy was gorgeous with her updo, and Grandma stood out as being well dressed.

Waiting patiently for the Binessa trainwreck.

• Love 3

Given that Jill did a lot of "publicity" for people and/or businesses, it's quite likely that many if not most of her expenses were comped or greatly reduced. But we also heard about them over and over again until they aired. And I'm sure TLC pitched in too, which might explain the $23K.

Since we aren't having that with Jessa, I'm guessing that either people didn't want to pony up so quickly, or she just flat out turned this down (which would be refreshing, after eight weeks of a wedding that sometimes seemed more like a Nascar race with so many sponsorships.)

Whew, finally slogged through the last of this ep!

I really do think Jill and Derick are a sweet match, but sheesh, their love talk gives new meaning to the phrase "sweet nothings."  Dull as dirt! "You're schmoopy!" ~ "No, you're schmoopy!"

Okay, the piano. My husband is a music minister and a trained, talented pianist. He gets the occasional snide comment from little church ladies about his . . . let's say muscular style of playing. But Erin's playing was . . . well, the word "bombastic" comes to mind. I've never heard such a busy version of the Bridal Chorus. Was she too heavy on the pedal, maybe?  It sounded to me like a child was standing at her left elbow pounding on the low keys. I hope they got the piano tuned right after the ceremony. 

I'm used to all the Duggar talk about the First Kiss and First Sex, but somehow I still wasn't prepared for all the talk about this at the freaking wedding . . . and by people outside the immediate family. The hooting when they kissed in the wedding was disrespectful, I thought, and I was aghast when they were climbing into the getaway truck and the crowd started clamoring for a kiss. That's just creepy. They'd probably have loved it if he'd taken her up to a Sunday school room, deflowered her on the premises, and displayed the bloody sheets out the window like they did in olden times. 

Finally, this is going to make me sound 150 years old, but no one's ever going to convince me it isn't gauche for a male of any age to wear a hat indoors except in the most casual of settings. And I'm glad my dear departed daddy couldn't see those boys wearing hats in church, because he'd be spinning in his grave!

• Love 7

A better look at Cathy's elegant attire vs. Michelle's ode to a silver Christmas tree dress. To quote Jim Bob: "You can't say that isn't a modest dress!"

RKE4qob.jpg

Michelle looks like an idiot in that things why is it all the way up to her neck? My gosh it's ugly. Is she that ashamed of her body. Cathy looks wonderful

• Love 1
Finally, this is going to make me sound 150 years old, but no one's ever going to convince me it isn't gauche for a male of any age to wear a hat indoors except in the most casual of settings. And I'm glad my dear departed daddy couldn't see those boys wearing hats in church, because he'd be spinning in his grave

I thought they got married in an auditorium. 

I prefer the little boys' hats to bare feet any day!

• Love 2

Did any of Michelle's extended family show up to this wedding? Very odd how they're never mentioned.

Would it have killed Jill and/or the bridal party to have a nice, elegant bun or updo for a change? They were wearing their hair like they always do: long and curly. Jill needed a trim and some conditioner.

Another pet peeve regarding the lack of any real food: the Duggars have an industrial kitchen. Couldn't they have prepared a decent amount of quality food at home and brought it to the church.

TTC, pizza, steak tubes and tater salad at least-sumpin. Have a covered dish, that wouldn't cost JB anything. Don't their "good-friend" visitors usually bring food anyway?

I know everyone is liking Dan -- but didn't it seem like he had NOTHING to say -- hence the sarcastic "we've been brothers for 23 yrs now." And the story about how he met Jill first. It seemed like he had nothing to say about the couple probably because he hasn't interacted much with them and certainly not without a chaperone trailing behind. It was sweet and sad to see him speaking on behalf of their mother and father. You can see how stressed out they both are about their mom and still sad about their dad of course.

• Love 2

Whew, finally slogged through the last of this ep!

I really do think Jill and Derick are a sweet match, but sheesh, their love talk gives new meaning to the phrase "sweet nothings."  Dull as dirt! "You're schmoopy!" ~ "No, you're schmoopy!"

Okay, the piano. My husband is a music minister and a trained, talented pianist. He gets the occasional snide comment from little church ladies about his . . . let's say muscular style of playing. But Erin's playing was . . . well, the word "bombastic" comes to mind. I've never heard such a busy version of the Bridal Chorus. Was she too heavy on the pedal, maybe?  It sounded to me like a child was standing at her left elbow pounding on the low keys. I hope they got the piano tuned right after the ceremony. 

I'm used to all the Duggar talk about the First Kiss and First Sex, but somehow I still wasn't prepared for all the talk about this at the freaking wedding . . . and by people outside the immediate family. The hooting when they kissed in the wedding was disrespectful, I thought, and I was aghast when they were climbing into the getaway truck and the crowd started clamoring for a kiss. That's just creepy. They'd probably have loved it if he'd taken her up to a Sunday school room, deflowered her on the premises, and displayed the bloody sheets out the window like they did in olden times. 

Finally, this is going to make me sound 150 years old, but no one's ever going to convince me it isn't gauche for a male of any age to wear a hat indoors except in the most casual of settings. And I'm glad my dear departed daddy couldn't see those boys wearing hats in church, because he'd be spinning in his grave!

Oh, yes we had a minister who wouldn't tolerate BWHIC, so I agree with that.

I thought they got married in an auditorium. 

I prefer the little boys' hats to bare feet any day!

No, it's not an auditorium. It's what the sanctuary of a mega church, or a large church looks like. Modern churches seem to take out classic things, like crosses or stain glass. It's interesting that Jim Bob referred to it as an auditorium, not the church or the sanctuary ... it's just an auditorium to them. It's not holy, sacred or consecrated ground. 

Edited by glow
  • Love 1

It seems like they found a formula to success. I wonder if it'll be repeated for Jessa and other subsequent courting, weddings and babies. 

Edited by glow

Michelle looks like an idiot in that things why is it all the way up to her neck? My gosh it's ugly. Is she that ashamed of her body. Cathy looks wonderful

Michelle looks like she rolled around in some aluminum foil and called it a day.

She is all about the fashion and the bling, right?

• Love 4

Maybe he is shy and uncomfortable talking in front of people.

I know everyone is liking Dan -- but didn't it seem like he had NOTHING to say -- hence the sarcastic "we've been brothers for 23 yrs now." And the story about how he met Jill first. It seemed like he had nothing to say about the couple probably because he hasn't interacted much with them and certainly not without a chaperone trailing behind. It was sweet and sad to see him speaking on behalf of their mother and father. You can see how stressed out they both are about their mom and still sad about their dad of course.

• Love 1

Michelle looks like the Fiji Mermaid in that dress.  Is it possible she dressed horribly in a desperate bid to get attention, or did she really think that looked good?!  How I wish Joan Rivers were alive to comment on it.

• Love 6
No, it's not an auditorium. It's what the sanctuary of a mega church, or a large church looks like. Modern churches seem to take out classic things, like crosses or stain glass. It's interesting that Jim Bob referred to it as an auditorium, not the church or the sanctuary ... it's just an auditorium to them. It's not holy, sacred or consecrated ground

Ok...Thanks for the clarification. 

It's funny that Jim Bob didn't really compliment Michelle.  He made mention of the modesty of the dress.  He did genuinely compliment Jill though.  That dress just was not flattering on MIchelle--at all.  She looked like a fancy mummy.

• Love 3

I recently went to church with a friend.  I felt so out of place!  The church bought an old elementary school and the auditorium is now the sanctuary.  They have keyboards, electric guitars and drums.  I grew up in a very traditional, stained glass, pipe organ church.  It felt wrong to see people in casual clothes, jeans, t-shirts and sandals in church.  In my day it was a really big deal when women were allowed to wear dress pants to church. Once I got used to it I kind of liked my friends church. It looked very much like the church Jill and Derek married in. 

If Jill and Derek are happy and had the wedding they wanted then it's all good to me.  As to barefoot brides, look in any Romantic Cottage or Country decorating magazine and you will see lots of weddings with barefoot brides.  Not my thing, but to each their own.  When I got married years ago my dress was an off the rack Gunne Sax dress (showing my age!) and the bridesmaids from the sale rack at Mervyns.   We had a friends garage band play.  My parents couldn't afford alcohol and cold cuts so the groomsmen took up a collection at the reception and went out and brought back cheap beer.  It was so much fun!  

Just to show I can snark with the cool kids and stay on point.  Michelle looked like bride of the Tin Man in that dress!  

I agree with all of this. As far as quirky traditions and little details, at the end of the day if the Bride and Groom liked the wedding then the rest of us can shove it - that  goes for every wedding since pretty much every wedding has people who thought it was badly done. The things that bugged me about this wedding were related to the treatment of the couple and the marriage. For all the talk of the sanctity of marriage, it just didn't have the feel of a ceremony that unites two people or creates a family. It lacked that kind of intimacy - and I'm not talking kissing or sex. It doesn't have anything to do with the setting or the 'fanciness or lack there of'. I've been to a wedding set in a person's living room with just a few people dressed in normal clothes and a minister. But the intimacy just permeated the room. I don't doubt that Jill and Derick are fond of each other. But with no time alone to build that relationship, you just don't see that intimate connection. And you don't need a physical relationship to develop that intimacy, but you do need time alone and an ability to really give yourself over emotionally to the other person. This whole thing just felt like a 'permission to bang each other' ceremony rather than a uniting of two people.  

• Love 8

Yeah $200,000 there is just no way... even if you count ALL of the Duggar daughters. The more I think about it the more impossible that seems.

I think that there was a blurb (whatever they call those little popups) during the show that said something like "If the Duggar daughters had weddings that cost the national average, it would cost $200,000 to marry off all of the girls."

I think that wedding cost $10-15,000.

$3-5,000 for the food

$2-3,000 for the flowers

$1500 for the church rental fee

$1000 for the dress

$x,000 for the wedding planner (I have no clue)

The reception at the TTH probably cost another $1-2000.

It seems like they found a formula to success. I wonder if it'll be repeated for Jessa and other subsequent courting, weddings and babies. 

I don't know if it will be repeated for Jessa and Bin but who knows?.  One I would be very interested in is a Jana courtship and wedding.

Who was the blonde haired gal that was with Cathy? She was in the room with her & also sitting near her during the ceremony. Was it Dan's girlfriend?

I wondered the same thing.  I just assumed she was a nurse of some sort, there to ensure that Cathy was safe and comfortable. 

That stepfather did look less than thrilled.  Poor guy.  He probably had a lot on his mind and just wanted to get his wife home.

For the most part, I LIKE the show. But I cannot sit through another right weeks watching the same sort of thing leading up to Jessa's wedding a few months from now. So I really hope that isn't what they are planning.

• Love 2

I hope Jessa's wedding has a different tone to it. And if this show manages to stay on the air for another 20 years (it's been on about 10 so far, or is it 11 since the first special?) will see see all of the remaining 17 children at home go through the courtship ritual, side hugs. no first kiss until wedding day , finger foods at reception crap? Or will TLC manage to think of something else? I just realized, in 20 years, Jim Bob and Michelle will be pushing 70. Will they have the same hairstyles, same clothes, same exact standards about their kids? We know how they feel about college and any sort of higher education and how they absolutely won't let any of their kids leave home to live on their own. It's never been said, but it seems like in this group of Gothard followers, if anyone were to leave, they'd be cut off and shunned, not allowed to go and visit their parents and siblings anyway. It's Jim Bob and Michelle's way, all the way, or it's the highway. As long as the show is on the air, none of the Duggar kids will leave voluntarily. I feel that a few may remain home until their 30's...and if it happens to be Josie and Jordyn, they'll be caring for their parents in their old age. Hopefully by then the filming will be long over, because that is just such a sad thought. 

For all the talk of the sanctity of marriage, it just didn't have the feel of a ceremony that unites two people or creates a family. It lacked that kind of intimacy - and I'm not talking kissing or sex. I don't doubt that Jill and Derick are fond of each other. But with no time alone to build that relationship, you just don't see that intimate connection. 

I think you hit the nail on the head. What was weird to me was how Jill and Derick were more lovey-dovey prior to the ceremony than they were after they were married and allowed to express more affection. They seemed stiff and uncomfortable at the reception. It reminded me of two 13 year-olds on an awkward first date rather than two grown adults who knew each other well enough to commit for the rest of their lives. Maybe there was a bit of a letdown after so much attention and hype.

• Love 11

I thought they got married in an auditorium

Many, may Baptists refer to their worship area as an auditorium.  Where Methodists and Lutherans, etc. would call it the sanctuary, Baptists that I've known tend not to use that word for the facility. 

Please anyone who wishes to post ratings, feel free.  It won't step on my toes at all.  Due to family issues, I've been immensely busier than usual and haven't even been looking at the ratings for myself. 

So do the dozens of cameramen, sound people, producers etc, NOT count as chaperones?  WHY not?

They did for Jessa and Ben. It started some dialogue between Jessa and the crew, which I found sweet.

Both Cathy's and MeChelle's dress have the tiered skirts. Not my favorite look, but Cathy's is understated and the dark color is flattering. Her haircut is soft too. 

There are just no words to describe how bad Michelle looks in that pieced-together satin monstrosity with the misplaced jutting darts. Mechelle has the resources to get a decent dress. I wonder if she's delusional and thinks she looks wonderful or if she's passive-aggressive and can't stand having people look at Jill instead of her. That hairdo is another paragraph I'm too exhausted to write. 

I love how the background looks like a tent. The clown has arrived. 

Edited by BradandJanet
  • Love 1

Some random thoughts..................I do agree that Josie IS a miracle!  So why the heck aren't they giving her every advantage possible to help her catch up?  Speech therapy, etc.  Early intervention.  It's just so sad that they drag this little girl around saying, "Look at our miracle" and then do nothing for her.  Again, it's all about JimBoob and Michelle.

I too thought many things were very odd at this wedding.  As somebody who is barefoot as often as possible, I still would have worn some pretty little ballet flats.  It seems Jill took a bunch of ideas and threw them all together, regardless of whether it all worked together.  Pretty formal wedding in a large church didn't work with the bare feet.  That belongs at a beach wedding.  The food was horrible, and they couldn't even have some folding chairs for gurest to sit on?  The theme seemed more like "Cheapskate Chaos" than "Shabby Chic."

As somebody who is most comfortable in very traditional churches, these mega churches really bug me.  I have visited at several with friends, and the auditorium seating, or folding chairs at some, just seem strange for a church.  And the stage?  I have seen "praise and worship" bands and singers who sounded absolutely awful, and I have to wonder is this a time of worship or a performance.   Way out of my comfort zone.

I thought it was sweet the way JimBoob talked about how hard it was to give away his daughter, and how he couldn't believe she was all grown up...........the first time he said it.  By about the 83rd time, I was no longer moved by it.  My husband happened to walk into the room when JimBoob said "you may now kiss the bride".  My husband, who never has anything mean to say about anybody said "Isn't that her dad?  What the hell is he doing up there?"  Then we made a few crude remarks to each other about JimBoob and Michelle going along on the honeymoon to make sure they were doing THAT right.  After all, they have 19 kids, so they must be experts.  And we were so grossed out about everybody's baby talk, like that's all that matters.  When our daughter got married, people asked things like where will they live, etc.  But then, we all live in the real world.

The note to Derick from Jill was kind of middle-school, wasn't it?  I thought at first it would be sweet, but Jill is so immature.  Years ago, when a coworker got married, flowers were delivered to her house the morning of the wedding, from the groom, with a note that read "To my beautiful bride-to-be.  See you at 2:00."   Now that was sweet.  And when our daughter got married, the photographer took a few pics of her and Dad ready to walk in, but as they entered she turned around and  took a picture of her husband as he first saw her.  It is a beautiful picture, and we love that she thought to do that.  It's OK how Jill and Derick saw each other earlier, but I kind of thought hanging out together for hours before the ceremony kind of took away from that "first look" moment.

Smuggar and his "look at me" antics with Anna are just gross.  He did the same at her sister's wedding.  It's not your day, Dufus.

• Love 3

I am really disappointed the Duggar's didn't bring their infamous tater tot casserole to go with the carnival themed popcorn, pickles and root beer floats at the reception.

Jim Bob is so damn cheap I am really surprised he didn't ask the guests to each bring a dish to make it a pot luck reception! Or even better have a cover charge to get in so he could make money.

Well, all I can tell you is that she plays like my Appalachian family who are decidedly NOT Suzuki trained and not Julliard educated, but don't see why one note should suffice when ten can do and LOVE those chords! :)

Whatever style Erin Bates was affecting, it was bizarre.  It wasn't even recognizable at first as the Wedding March. Then a few bars in, there was a definite Liberace sound.

• Love 3

I keep thinking about poor Jordyn and her tears ... where the hell was MEchelle? (That's a rhetorical question, obviously, as offering comfort certainly is not her thing.) And yes, Boob tried, in his ineffective way, to comfort Jordyn, but would it have been so difficult to say something along the lines of, "I know you are going to miss Jill, and Mommy and Daddy are going to be here for you when you need extra hugs and kisses, or when you just want to talk about how much you miss Jill. We'll all miss her together, and I promise you'll feel better soon."

Why are they both just so God-awfully clueless about their children's emotional health and well-being?

• Love 9

The 200,000 number came from a pop-up blurb saying if Jim-Bob paid for all his daughters weddings it would add up to that amount. I can't remember if some other factoid was in there. It did not say Jill's wedding cost that much.

Unless I mis-read it [completely possibly] the "news" program on the E! channel stated that Jill's wedding cost $200K. However, not the first case in history where the media got its facts wrong though...

I think I remember some of the guests saying they stayed at a lodge in Arkansas and JB foot the bill. I'm not sure how much that added to the cost though.

From pictures, it looked like they had a lot of food at the TTH but I'm sure it wasn't catered, nice food.

I was watching a video of Jill's wedding on YouTube and my phone decided to buffer right when Michelle was speaking. She had this wide-eyed, crazy look on her face as she talked about "what Jill and Derick were looking most forward to." I found it quite funny and a bit creepy. I wish I knew how to upload pictures to here off my phone.

Jim Bob implying that all Jill and Derick, especially Derick, were looking forward to was sex was plain gross. He sounded like a twelve year old boy trying to be witty. No. You are her father.

• Love 3

I'm even more convinced that poor Jana has experienced some sort of romantic heartbreak. Her emotions are just so close to the surface. Her tears weren't happy tears; I know she's going to miss Jill, but IMO, there's something else in there as well. And poor Joy ... my heart was really hurting for those two young women. How I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that house.

• Love 5

I think Jana is quietly observing her sisters' courtships and marriages and will hold out until Jim Bob finds her a really spectacular guy. She isn't going to settle for the first one who shows interest, probably has actually turned down one or two already, off -camera.

From past interviews, I get the distinct impression that there was one boy in particular that Jana was very interested in, but that Jim Bob did not approve and so, they weren't allowed to court.  

And of course I'm sure there have been other guys interested in her that she wasn't into....she's gorgeous and sweet and seems like she'd be the perfect wife.  

• Love 2

Cathy does look lovely.  Isn't it likely, however, that her hair is actually a wig?  I thought in the pictures they showed of Jill and Derick visiting her in the hospital the week before the wedding, Cathy was wearing a scarf or cap on her head, which makes me think she had lost her hair due to her treatment. 

Yet she still looks classier and more put-together than Michelle.

• Love 1

I disagree about the food.

Weddings are composed of two parts: the religious/civil ceremony, and a party for the guests. What constitutes a party for some people, doesn't for others. In some cultures, it's not a party unless everyone is stuffed, or staggeringly drunk[ in others it's finger sandwiches and a little champagne. There's no reason why they should have to conform to anyone else's idea of what constitutes a proper wedding.

Even if this isn't the norm in their culture -- and enough posters with fundie backgrounds have said it is -- they are certainly well-known cheapskates. If these people are their friends -- or know them at all -- they would be foolish to expect and kind of catered meal (IMO).

I also think that given their over-the-top religious competitiveness, I'm almost surprised that there was a reception at all. I could easily see them making a big point of how the wedding is all about the covenant with God, and the party is fellowshipping over cups of jello and going home to pray. In one episode last season I remember Ben saying that the part of the wedding he was most looking forward to was "the vows."

I found the "First Look" chit chat between Derick and Jill to be excruciating. A young man sees his bride on their wedding day. He says "you look beautiful," then he kisses her. It puts a nice period on the scene. Because they were forced to omit that perfectly natural and normal bit of interaction, it was just "you look beautful," "I love you," "I love you," "you look nice," "I love you," and on and on.

I really don't think that JB and J'chelle have the energy to keep up this courting nonsense indefinitely. I wonder how far down the line they will keep this up before things begin to loosen up and there is hand-holding before engagement, and kissing before marriage, and double-dates (with people other than their parents), and other conservative, but normal, activities.

• Love 2

I disagree about the food.

Weddings are composed of two parts: the religious/civil ceremony, and a party for the guests. What constitutes a party for some people, doesn't for others. In some cultures, it's not a party unless everyone is stuffed, or staggeringly drunk[ in others it's finger sandwiches and a little champagne. There's no reason why they should have to conform to anyone else's idea of what constitutes a proper wedding.

Even if this isn't the norm in their culture -- and enough posters with fundie backgrounds have said it is -- they are certainly well-known cheapskates. If these people are their friends -- or know them at all -- they would be foolish to expect and kind of catered meal (IMO).

I also think that given their over-the-top religious competitiveness, I'm almost surprised that there was a reception at all. I could easily see them making a big point of how the wedding is all about the covenant with God, and the party is fellowshipping over cups of jello and going home to pray. In one episode last season I remember Ben saying that the part of the wedding he was most looking forward to was "the vows."

I found the "First Look" chit chat between Derick and Jill to be excruciating. A young man sees his bride on their wedding day. He says "you look beautiful," then he kisses her. It puts a nice period on the scene. Because they were forced to omit that perfectly natural and normal bit of interaction, it was just "you look beautful," "I love you," "I love you," "you look nice," "I love you," and on and on.

I really don't think that JB and J'chelle have the energy to keep up this courting nonsense indefinitely. I wonder how far down the line they will keep this up before things begin to loosen up and there is hand-holding before engagement, and kissing before marriage, and double-dates (with people other than their parents), and other conservative, but normal, activities.

I guess my issue with this is that the wedding guests have shelled out money for transporation, lodging, and (expensive) gifts for Jill and her hubby. Add in the time the guests probably had to wait around for production and filming, the guests were probably starving. A cheap root beer float and some popcorn is an insult to the guests. Considering, JB could have comped the food by name dropping a catering company, his guests could have been well fed.

Talk about grifting, greedy people.

• Love 6

Cathy does look much more refined than Michelle does--despite the cancer and chemo.  I do believe that Derick referenced his mother's wig when he said "she was getting her hair on." 

Oh, I'd really love to know what Derick's family thinks about his marrying into this family! Something tells me she thinks Jill is a perfectly lovely girl, and his happy for her son, but if she'd had her druthers she'd have picked someone different for her son.

• Love 1

From past interviews, I get the distinct impression that there was one boy in particular that Jana was very interested in, but that Jim Bob did not approve and so, they weren't allowed to court.  

And of course I'm sure there have been other guys interested in her that she wasn't into....she's gorgeous and sweet and seems like she'd be the perfect wife.  

I haven't kept up with rumors or speculation but is there any thought that they are purposely keeping courters from her because of the load she bears at home? It would put a lot back on Michelle, which is of course where it should be, if she let her workhorse get married and leave.

• Love 1