Type keyword(s) to search

Bethenny Frankel: Skinny Girl

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, WireWrap said:

I don't know, not all women use "tampons" so asking for "sanitary supplies/feminine hygiene products"  might be better to get a wide(r) assortment of products to help more women.

Right but my post was in response to a previous poster seemingly perturbed by Bethenny's use of "tampon", not what women might use or might ask for.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, SCS said:

Go where?  Are you saying it's a problem because she said "tampons" rather than "feminine hygiene products" or "sanitary supplies". She was communicating important info in a short interview and used a term that everyone recognized.

I think it's beyond great that tampons are among the products available in a disaster zone. Bethenny has done lots of things on camera that make me roll my eyes but her use of specific language rather than generalities or euphemisms is, IMO, an odd thing to jump on. 

No I am saying she always has to be edgy-she could have said toilet paper or whatever, it really doesn't take a warehouse the size of Costco to store tampons.  We get what people need.  I am sure diapers were a big need as well.

I guess this would a moment to employ a Bethenny and just say, "get off my jock,"  it was never about euphemisms it was always about shock value.  The interviewer doesn't want to talk about tampons. 

1 minute ago, SCS said:

Right but my post was in response to a previous poster seemingly perturbed by Bethenny's use of "tampon", not what women might use or might ask for.

I am not perturbed but I do feel like Bethenny doesn't always use good judgment.  They are getting their donations of specific items for corporations and I guarantee you the very charities she eschews have over the years devised a list of what is needed.    

• Love 4

Actually I think *tampons* and *sanitary napkins* and *menstrual items* rarely get the press they need in a crisis.

And how exactly is a tampon shocking? Women bleed down there, and maybe it's time men acknowledged the reality of how women function rather than insist that a common household item their female relatives use is too shocking to be spoken aloud. 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

No I am saying she always has to be edgy-she could have said toilet paper or whatever, it really doesn't take a warehouse the size of Costco to store tampons.  We get what people need.  I am sure diapers were a big need as well.

I guess this would a moment to employ a Bethenny and just say, "get off my jock,"  it was never about euphemisms it was always about shock value.  The interviewer doesn't want to talk about tampons. 

But tampons aren't edgy. Essential, certainly, for a significant aspect of a community-in-need but edgy? MMV.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, SCS said:

But tampons aren't edgy. Essential, certainly, for a significant aspect of a community-in-need but edgy? MMV.

They weren't asking for donations of specific items-Bethenny was rattling off the stuff in the warehouse.  When you are creating a descriptive narrative of the items in the warehouse of items like solar generators, water, insulin (I question there was a big pallet of insulin), it creates a vision for the listener.  Bethenny need not go before the media and request specific items-her latest gig is cash for cash cards.  She has partnered with someone that gets down to the specifics.

• Love 1

I really don't see what so offensive about listing off tampons. It's really someone people don't think about, and its a necessary item. 

Nothing says #thisisacrisis like a lot of poor women bleeding through their clothes because tampons are too risqué to mention. 

It's not like she was pointing at a pallet with "THIS IS ANAL LUBE AND CONDOMS!"

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

I really don't see what so offensive about listing off tampons. It's really someone people don't think about, and its a necessary item. 

Nothing says #thisisacrisis like a lot of poor women bleeding through their clothes because tampons are too risqué to mention. 

It's not like she was pointing at a pallet with "THIS IS ANAL LUBE AND CONDOMS!"

I'm watching Queer as Folk weekday afternoons on Showtime.  A pallet of anal lube & condoms would have been welcome relief, there.  ;-)

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

No  she did not point anything out because she wasn't in the warehouse.  Which would be why I said she was putting out a visual.   She did make comments about people having sex because there was little else to do in Puerto Rico.  I just find her trying too hard.  In all the years I have heard journalist cover stories, people ask for donations they just never seem to take Bethenny's route.  I guess I am at a loss why she needs to do it.  

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm sorry, I just don't see what's so offensive about making a visual that women need tampons. It's a necessary sanitary item. Tampon is no more crude than sanitary napkin.  If Tampax and OB can advertise tampons on national tv, then Bethenny Frankel saying it in an interview is not the equivalent of stating a vulgar word. 

I'm reminded of a story I saw on the internets where a woman decided, for a party in her home, to be welcoming to her female guests by putting a small decorative basket in the bathroom with tampons and sanitary napkins for female guests of a party who might have forgotten them. A male guest was quite appalled that it was "put out there" for males to see. How awful, the acknowledgement that women have slightly different physical needs. 

Edited by Rap541
  • Love 10
50 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

I'm sorry, I just don't see what's so offensive about making a visual that women need tampons. It's a necessary sanitary item. Tampon is no more crude than sanitary napkin.  If Tampax and OB can advertise tampons on national tv, then Bethenny Frankel saying it in an interview is not the equivalent of stating a vulgar word. 

I'm reminded of a story I saw on the internets where a woman decided, for a party in her home, to be welcoming to her female guests by putting a small decorative basket in the bathroom with tampons and sanitary napkins for female guests of a party who might have forgotten them. A male guest was quite appalled that it was "put out there" for males to see. How awful, the acknowledgement that women have slightly different physical needs. 

My point is lost.  Of all the times people local, national or whatever have been on TV when has anyone ever put out the tampon plea?  All I was saying is Bethenny is expounding on what they had in the warehouse and after describing how giant it is she throws tampons in the mix.  We all know what people need when they lose their homes. Is anyone surprised when babies need diapers or laundry needs to be done?   I have never heard disaster workers being interviewed or journalists slip in the plea for tampons or address tampons.  That is all I am saying about Bethenny and tampons.   She is a pioneer. 

The bigger point was lost in I was trying to convey given a mainstream media event-Bethenny slammed other charities and held hers above the others-comparing the others to Bernie Madoff.  That is irresponsible on Bethenny's part.    Bethenny has the money to pay to get to the people with others' donations, she does not have the ability to rebuild infrastructure.  All I am saying is she should be more gracious, less lecturing and in others face.

I am not the male guest and most people I know I have feminine hygiene products available to guests, usually in a basket with a lid.  More importantly they have a waste disposal out of sight for used products.  Male or female sometimes people don't like the visual of used product, applicators or wrappers.  

• Love 3
(edited)
5 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

All I was saying is Bethenny is expounding on what they had in the warehouse and after describing how giant it is she throws tampons in the mix.  We all know what people need when they lose their homes. Is anyone surprised when babies need diapers or laundry needs to be done?  

I have heard it several times not only for disasters but from the homeless organizations that I work with specifically because these are the sort of items that people often forget people needing when thinking about the larger devastation/issue.

And yes even specifically tampons because of their size and less of waste impact.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7
(edited)
47 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

I am not the male guest and most people I know I have feminine hygiene products available to guests, usually in a basket with a lid.  More importantly they have a waste disposal out of sight for used products.  Male or female sometimes people don't like the visual of used product, applicators or wrappers.  

Yes, well, what more is there to say to that ^^ comment other than their mamas brought them up right?

Edited by SCS
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

I'm sorry, how did this turn into viewing used tampons and sanitary napkins?

Rap541, it's a head scratcher....

• Love 4

Gosh.  Let's not get into a tampon debate.  For me, in regard to Beth, it's about her exaggerating about what's she's done.  Yeah, total credit for being involved.  However, she's not alone in an effort to help PR.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

My point is lost.  Of all the times people local, national or whatever have been on TV when has anyone ever put out the tampon plea? 

I know of two but I just googled it and they actually list the top 10.  These are for homeless, after diasasters and then a number of countries where girls actually end up not attending classes due to lack of products.  The first time I saw a national campaign was for the homeless about 5 years ago.  So it happens a lot because corporations donate things like paper towels when this is a higher need item.

All of these types of things grow from need.  After Katrina Tide wanted to donate laundry products but was told people literally had no place to wash things.  So Tide had their promotional truck with washers set up in one of the refugee centers.  Now Tide has multiple trucks with washers and dryers that they move to locations with people who’ve left their homes with a bag of clothes.

So the need to tampons etc is always part of the plea.  Next time, god forbid, there is a hurricane read down the list of needed items and you’ll see it.

• Love 7
(edited)

On another note, what is the status of her application for full custody?  Is there a court date?  I can’t remember when she filed, but it seems like its been awhile.

Edited by Booger666
  • Love 3

Once again Bethenny was describing what was in the warehouse.  

I have never heard reporters covering disaster relief ever ask for tampons.  I am quite sure the need for feminine hygiene products is listed on many sites-I have just never heard a reporter or disaster relief person mention their cache of tampons or need.  Then again I have never heard a charity representative accuse donors of being misinformed and suggesting they may be donating to the Bernie Madoff of charities when other charities are trying to raise awareness for the plight of the survivors.  

Simply put Bethenny's interview was not appealing to me nor did it move me to donate to her charity.  I have donated to the cause but I guess I did take her suggestion and check out worthy charities that are assisting the people affected by the recent natural disasters.  

5 minutes ago, Booger666 said:

On another note, what is the status of her application for full custody?  Is there a court date?  I can’t remember when she filed, but it seems like its been awhile.

They were suppose to go back to court in May.

• Love 6

I have never heard reporters covering disaster relief ever ask for tampons.  I am quite sure the need for feminine hygiene products is listed on many sites-I have just never heard a reporter or disaster relief person mention their cache of tampons or need.  Then again I have never heard a charity representative accuse donors of being misinformed and suggesting they may be donating to the Bernie Madoff of charities when other charities are trying to raise awareness for the plight of the survivors.  

I just don't see why Bethenny Frankel is being chided as wrong or offensive for mentioning tampons as a necessary item needed for fifty percent of the population. Tampons aren't offensive, the word isn't vulgar, and tampons are advertised in public. What did Bethenny do wrong in mentioning that tampons were part of the relief?

It sure doesn't sound like she demonstrated their use or called them "c-word plugs" like they do on the tv show Ozark so I just don't understand whats so offensive and bad about Bethenny speaking about it. Frankly I think it's a good thing that some attention in disaster relief is going to a hygiene need that fifty percent of any disaster population has. 

• Love 10
(edited)

I remember very specifically donating to a group that was raising money for tampons and/or other sanitary products after Katrina because it is one of those items that somehow is "forgotten" a lot of the time and yet totally necessary for women. 

But anyway, I see nothing wrong with her mentioning it. I'd love to live in a world where young women don't feel shame about something they literally need. 

tumblr_or7115WyvU1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

Edited by Otherkate
  • Love 9
20 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

So which Skinny girl products are no longer available?

You get little updates through SM.  Luggage never went past the prototype.  She didn’t say anything negative just that it couldn’t be what she wanted.  Shapewear is available but limited to the items that sell and online.  The candy/luncheon meat was really sudden.  Off the website, off online, etc.  People asked on twitter but she didn’t respond.  She mentioned real off hand once of sale of something SkinnyGirl and someone asked if it was the food products, quite panicked about the popcorn.  She only said that the popcorn was never in play.

Now they have the spring season in the showroom and showing for buyers.  So the clothing will be out there at least for a year.  I liked a number of things in the Holiday collection and it the fall that is coming out soon.  But the spring collection?  Meh, not so much.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've actually never had lime popcorn but this thread has me craving it!

Plus I figure making it with this stuff will cut down on the sodium.

Edited by Ki-in
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, WireWrap said:

Here are the SG products she sells. http://skinnygirlglobal.com/products/

Those photos are a little odd. A bottle of salad dressing on the thighs of someone wearing really worn-out jeans; a faux apple and something white with three black circles on it (a remote for something?) in the popcorn photo; green tea, but it’s very difficult to see that it’s  peach bellini flavored; Beth ridiculed Ramona’s glasses at the Carole-ran-the-marathon party, but the glasses in the vodka bottles photo are pretty fug.

• Love 3
(edited)
33 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Those photos are a little odd. A bottle of salad dressing on the thighs of someone wearing really worn-out jeans; a faux apple and something white with three black circles on it (a remote for something?) in the popcorn photo; green tea, but it’s very difficult to see that it’s  peach bellini flavored; Beth ridiculed Ramona’s glasses at the Carole-ran-the-marathon party, but the glasses in the vodka bottles photo are pretty fug.

http://skinnygirlglobal.com/

The website looks surprisingly amateurish to me.

What is this all about?:

"Skinnygirl is You

We believe every woman deserves to feel confident and live free from judgments. It’s not about a shape or size, it’s about every shape, every size, and every woman".

Um no, Bethenny, Skinnygirl is not me. Medium/Average sized girl is me. If it's not about size, then why is your product called "Skinnygirl" and not "Everywoman"?

And then what the heck is this?

"#WhatsTheSkinny?

Join Skinnygirl Founder, Bethenny Frankel, in the brand new series #WhatsTheSkinny for unapologetically honest conversations about the topics you care about most. Tune in to find out the skinny with America’s Favorite Skinnygirl"

When I googled #WhatsTheSkinny, I get 2 websites that have absolutely nothing to do with Bethenny or Skinnygirl products.  Does anyone know anything about this "brand new series"? How do I tune in?

Just with regard to the label, in googling skinny:

skin·ny

ˈskinē/ adjective

(of a person or part of their body) very thin.

"his skinny arms"

synonyms:thin, scrawny, scraggy, bony, angular, rawboned, hollow-cheeked, gaunt, as thin as a rake, skin-and-bones, sticklike, emaciated, waiflike, skeletal, pinched, undernourished, underfed; More....

noun informal

a skinny person.

a pair of skinny pants, especially jeans.

"if you're tired of squeezing into your skinnies, bell-bottoms and flares are back in fashion"

Edited by Happy Camper
  • Love 9
On 6/10/2018 at 8:10 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

So which Skinny girl products are no longer available?

luggage

shapewear

candy

luncheon meat

I am asking. I honestly don’t know. 

The popcorn is super-popular.

I can still get the candy!  The truffle candy is at Waitrose in Dubai.  LOL. 

22 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

http://skinnygirlglobal.com/

The website looks surprisingly amateurish to me.

What is this all about?:

"Skinnygirl is You

We believe every woman deserves to feel confident and live free from judgments. It’s not about a shape or size, it’s about every shape, every size, and every woman".

Um no, Bethenny, Skinnygirl is not me. Medium/Average sized girl is me. If it's not about size, then why is your product called "Skinnygirl" and not "Everywoman"?

And then what the heck is this?

"#WhatsTheSkinny?

Join Skinnygirl Founder, Bethenny Frankel, in the brand new series #WhatsTheSkinny for unapologetically honest conversations about the topics you care about most. Tune in to find out the skinny with America’s Favorite Skinnygirl"

When I googled #WhatsTheSkinny, I get 2 websites that have absolutely nothing to do with Bethenny or Skinnygirl products.  Does anyone know anything about this "brand new series"? How do I tune in?

Just with regard to the label, in googling skinny:

skin·ny

ˈskinē/ adjective

(of a person or part of their body) very thin.

"his skinny arms"

synonyms:thin, scrawny, scraggy, bony, angular, rawboned, hollow-cheeked, gaunt, as thin as a rake, skin-and-bones, sticklike, emaciated, waiflike, skeletal, pinched, undernourished, underfed; More....

noun informal

a skinny person.

a pair of skinny pants, especially jeans.

"if you're tired of squeezing into your skinnies, bell-bottoms and flares are back in fashion"

Skinny can also mean giving the details/events of what happened.  So, instead of saying, “Hey, what happened?”, you could say, “Give me the skinny on what went down.”  

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, diadochokinesis said:

Skinny can also mean giving the details/events of what happened.  So, instead of saying, “Hey, what happened?”, you could say, “Give me the skinny on what went down.”  

Then the logo should be B's big mouth instead of some stick -figure woman..No?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, diadochokinesis said:

I can still get the candy!  The truffle candy is at Waitrose in Dubai.  LOL. 

I get this but what is this all about? It tells us to tune in, but where do we tune in to?

What is this #WhatsTheSkinny brand new series? Have you seen it?

This is what I can't figure out:

"Join Skinnygirl Founder, Bethenny Frankel, in the brand new series #WhatsTheSkinny for unapologetically honest conversations about the topics you care about most. Tune in to find out the skinny with America’s Favorite Skinnygirl"

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, diadochokinesis said:

Not if you want a cohesive brand.  You don’t change your logo for each individual product.

??.... that was a joke,,,I was being sarcastic....coz someone said "skinny" could mean info   not...okay   NM

• Love 4

So for everyone asking about the whole BStrong etc.  Follow her insta.  At least for a bit.  They are setting up the distribution for Guatemala right now.  Today a really interesting string of insta stories about the relief on the ground right now.  Which she accurately points out is miles ahead of the US effort in PR.  They are working very hard to get people housed and haven’t forgotten that there are children.  Really fabulous shots of the landscape, including a volcano erupting.  She talks about the relief effort and how she and the partners are going to work in that effort.  So it will answer a lot of the questions you’ve asked.  And once it’s over, just unfollow.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Interesting... Fredrick was on WWHL tonight.  He said he didn't think he would be working again with Beth.  We're friends, etc......

Nothing ambiguous about that, eh?

My opinion of Fredrik just went up.  

• Love 7
(edited)
22 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Nothing ambiguous about that, eh?

My opinion of Fredrik just went up.  

It probably mostly indicates that their show was poorly rated and either won’t be renewed or reworked with Bethenny and someone else but her flips don’t appear to work out well. Hopefully her flip on the “wrong side” of the highway at least is successful for a summer rental but I don’t think has been sold.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, QuinnM said:

So for everyone asking about the whole BStrong etc.  Follow her insta.  At least for a bit.  They are setting up the distribution for Guatemala right now.  Today a really interesting string of insta stories about the relief on the ground right now.  Which she accurately points out is miles ahead of the US effort in PR.  They are working very hard to get people housed and haven’t forgotten that there are children.  Really fabulous shots of the landscape, including a volcano erupting.  She talks about the relief effort and how she and the partners are going to work in that effort.  So it will answer a lot of the questions you’ve asked.  And once it’s over, just unfollow.

That lava path she showed, omg. 

They're working with some solid people on the ground too, people who have held serious government positions there. I wish the people living there the best. What a scary situation.

• Love 2

Fredrik is pretty all business when it comes to "working with" anyone.

Put another way - if Fredrik is compensated well enough, I'm pretty sure he'd do a porn with Bethenny. But he would make sure he was paid, paid extremely well, and paid up front.  :)

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/12/2018 at 11:33 PM, breezy424 said:

Interesting... Fredrick was on WWHL tonight.  He said he didn't think he would be working again with Beth.  We're friends, etc......

Did you see Andy’s reaction? He looked delighted. I don’t know if Andy actually likes Beth, so much as I think he loves that so many hate her. 

I enjoyed Fredrik explaining why he would not be working again with Beth: “It was a lot.”

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 9
On 6/10/2018 at 5:41 PM, stewedsquash said:

Am I wrong in thinking that y'all popcorn lovers don't have to worry if SG brand does get dropped because it is made under Orville Redenbacher's brand? If they want they could just put the flavors into their Naturals Light and their SmartPop!  items, couldn't they? They already have the butter and sea salt flavor, all they would need is to do the lime one. Easy peasy, I have calmed your fears! haha

Plus, y'all really need to kick the habit! Have you looked at the sodium?

They had the lime and sea salt under their own name for a while then I couldn't find it in stores anymore. That's how I stumbled upon the Skinnygirl. I wish they'd bring it back because I feel silly buying five boxes of skinnygirl at once. It sells out fast so I have to stock up. 

I have squeezed lime juice and sea salt on my own homemade popcorn and it's divine too. 

• Love 1
On 6/13/2018 at 8:58 PM, stewedsquash said:

Partial updated list of aid but yeah, you're the only one Bethenny.

I don’t remember her saying this but her instagram shows all the aid that the citizens are seeing.  She talked about folks bringing in soap so the evacuees could do laundry.  Sh was really impressed by the involvement of the government and the things being set up for the children.  But she never said she was the only one.  She noted that it was a different situation with a different set of needs than PR, FL or TX.  So they are starting slowing with what is the most need.  All of that was worked out with the government aid group.  Still never heard her say they where the only ones.

• Love 7

Was there a post upthread somewhere that reported that Bethenny had unfollowed all the NY housewives except for Sonja or did I just imagine it?

If true, (I don't Instagam) what does it mean for someone to unfollow? What would be potential reasons?

If not true, nevermind, although I would still be interested in knowing what this "unfollowing" entails. 

1 hour ago, Happy Camper said:

Was there a post upthread somewhere that reported that Bethenny had unfollowed all the NY housewives except for Sonja or did I just imagine it?

If true, (I don't Instagam) what does it mean for someone to unfollow? What would be potential reasons?

If not true, nevermind, although I would still be interested in knowing what this "unfollowing" entails. 

You press a button that says "unfollow" and you no longer see that person's pictures unless you actively seek them out. It usually happens when you're annoyed or mad at someone.

In social media culture, unfollowing someone (especially a friend) signals that you want nothing more to do with that person.

It's all very hilarious/ridiculous.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, WhoaWhoKnew said:

Especially on Insta because you can still see what they post and they can see what you post.  And you can comment.  At least on twitter they can’t comment so they are essentially off your feed.  And blocking sounds harder than unfollow.

• Love 1
On 6/15/2018 at 12:19 PM, WhoaWhoKnew said:

In social media culture, unfollowing someone (especially a friend) signals that you want nothing more to do with that person.

And "virtual" fragile feelings are fracturing all over the planet.