Type keyword(s) to search

Bethenny Frankel: Skinny Girl

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

When my daughter and son in law went out of town, my grandkids would always stay with me. I certainly don't consider myself a surrogate! How do we know that Bryn wasn't staying with her grandparents when Jason was out of town

If the parents are divorced the custody is between parents.  So in that respect even a grandparent is a surrogate.  Sad but true.  So what a married couple do and what a custody arrangement with divorced parents allows them to do is very different.  And truth be told even though I think they are really creepy, her grandparents are getting a little old in the tooth to keep up with a child and her friends.  It’s not fair to them.  They don’t even live in NYC so this would be them coming in to town every time Jason had an overnight.

5 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

Bethenny cannot be with Bryn every moment. There must be occasions when she has to leave Bryn with a surrogate. I haven't seen any reports of Jason or Bethenny going out of town and leaving Bryn with surrogates. Even if this is so, I am sure that there are many single moms and dads that do the same. 

Yes, there are childminders or whatever.  However, she is very clear that she never is out of town overnight during the time she has Bryn.  Even during the height of PR she was there for her Wed-Wed days with Bryn.  It’s not big things like suddenly Bethenny has Brynn for a month.  It’s the little trips.  It is an off week dinner and sleep over.  Quite frankly it seems more normal.  I always thought the rigid Wed-Wed was just hard on everyone.

42 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

If the parents are divorced the custody is between parents.  So in that respect even a grandparent is a surrogate.  Sad but true.  So what a married couple do and what a custody arrangement with divorced parents allows them to do is very different.  And truth be told even though I think they are really creepy, her grandparents are getting a little old in the tooth to keep up with a child and her friends.  It’s not fair to them.  They don’t even live in NYC so this would be them coming in to town every time Jason had an overnight.

Yes, there are childminders or whatever.  However, she is very clear that she never is out of town overnight during the time she has Bryn.  Even during the height of PR she was there for her Wed-Wed days with Bryn.  It’s not big things like suddenly Bethenny has Brynn for a month.  It’s the little trips.  It is an off week dinner and sleep over.  Quite frankly it seems more normal.  I always thought the rigid Wed-Wed was just hard on everyone.

I really doubt the courts would prohibit the Hoppy's from babysitting Bryn if Jason has to be away overnight and I doubt the courts make Bryn go to her mothers every time Jason has to be away over night. They have a 50/50 split and Bethenny has no say who watches Bryn when she is at Jason's any more then he does when Bryn is with her. I also suspect this new looser time frame has more to do with Jason picking Bryn up after work, Wed. evening, not in the morning unless Bethenny is also giving up time on the other side and I just don't see that happening. 

Now, as for the Hoppy's age, they are not that old or too old to watch their granddaughter over night or to entertain Bryn and a friend for a day or 2. Seriously, they aren't to the walker/wheelchair age yet. 

What happened to Bethenny's claims of never having anyone other than herself watching/being with Bryn? She claimed that she didn't have anyone take care of her, only her (of course we knew that was all a lie, she has talked about having an employee/assistant watch her during filming). LOL As for these little trips, school is out and she can take her on them all she wants as long as Bryn is back in time to go to Jason's. Bethenny doesn't have her anymore then she did a year ago and unless they changed the split days, instead of Wed-Wed, maybe it is now Mon-Mon or something akin to that, but the basic split hasn't changed. And, that Bethenny has stopped talking about it, I suspect she lost her bid for "primary" custody.

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

Now, as for the Hoppy's age, they are not that old or too old to watch their granddaughter over night or to entertain Bryn and a friend for a day or 2. Seriously, they aren't to the walker/wheelchair age yet.

Agreed! An 8 year old is not very difficult to entertain. A 12/13 year old may be a different situation!

• Love 5

Why is there any negative perception of Jason's parents whatsoever?  I think back to when Jason and his dad found the dress form at a flea market or something, and his dad refinished it for her and spiffed it up as a birthday gift.  She was a complete and TOTAL ungrateful shrew about it #idontlovemybirthday.  Even if it was tacky and/or something she would never display, I remember thinking the gesture was so sweet and kind on his dad's part and Bethenny acted like such an asshole.  I can't remember if she even accepted the gift.  For crying out loud I think she was still in fake Birkins at the time.  And I remember his mom's pride in her granddaughter during Bryn's christening.  They seem like such lovely people.  #hibethenny #youwereanasshole

• Love 9
21 hours ago, WireWrap said:

Life happens, so no matter how well planned Bethenny's trips are, she will never be able to make it home each and every time she has Bryn waiting at home for her. And, Bethenny does travel when she has custody of Bryn and can't take her (especially during the school year), so she needs to remember that Jason should be only one that is allowed to watch Bryn overnight when Bethenny can't get back just like she doesn't want anyone to watch Bryn overnight when he has her. So, what's good for the goose is good for the gander!

Burn the witch!

7 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Why is there any negative perception of Jason's parents whatsoever?  I think back to when Jason and his dad found the dress form at a flea market or something, and his dad refinished it for her and spiffed it up as a birthday gift.  She was a complete and TOTAL ungrateful shrew about it #idontlovemybirthday.  Even if it was tacky and/or something she would never display, I remember thinking the gesture was so sweet and kind on his dad's part and Bethenny acted like such an asshole.  I can't remember if she even accepted the gift.  For crying out loud I think she was still in fake Birkins at the time.  And I remember his mom's pride in her granddaughter during Bryn's christening.  They seem like such lovely people.  #hibethenny #youwereanasshole

They were judgemental and controlling, in my opinion .

• Love 5

First, their insistence that Bri spend every other weekend in Hazelton PA was a little demanding and excessive imo.

Then Papa Hoppy was cited with Jason for lounging around the apartment in his underpants when Jason was being passive aggressive with Bethenny.

But the clincher for me was how Mrs Hoppy was the notary for the documents that Jason was using to try and keep the city apartment despite his signing a pre-nup. 

I dont think the Hoppy parents are the devil or anything but neither are they as pure as snow.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Rap541 said:

First, their insistence that Bri spend every other weekend in Hazelton PA was a little demanding and excessive imo.

Then Papa Hoppy was cited with Jason for lounging around the apartment in his underpants when Jason was being passive aggressive with Bethenny.

But the clincher for me was how Mrs Hoppy was the notary for the documents that Jason was using to try and keep the city apartment despite his signing a pre-nup. 

I dont think the Hoppy parents are the devil or anything but neither are they as pure as snow.

I think they were really thrilled about having a granddaughter and overdid it.  I also think the fact that they lost a child played into their excitement. They were over the top with asking for Bryn to be at their home so often, but I've seen lots of first time grandparents go through that.  I hope to go through it too someday, and I hope my love and excitement for my future grandchildren doesn't get branded as "demanding and excessive."  Having loving and involved grandparents is a good thing for children and B should be grateful that Bryn has family who love her.

On the lounging in underpants, I'm sure all parties were being passive aggressive and hurtful to each other.  We have B's word (as far as I know) on the whole underpants debacle.  He could have been watching tv in his pj's or in a robe for all we know.  It's not like B is a drama queen or anything.  We all know she has been shipwrecked and almost bled to death, so let's take her word on this, right??!!  

On the notary issue, it was a stupid thing to do, but I don't think she was trying to commit fraud or had any nefarious purpose.  She, like a lot of notaries, wasn't completely clear on the rules.  She probably thought it was okay and never checked the rules in NY.  I'm a notary and would never seal anything for a family member, but there are some who do.  She did a dumb thing and should have at least checked the laws or at most refused to seal something for family.  Better safe than sorry.

I don't think any of the parties are pure as the snow, but I think B is so much more media savvy than Jason or his family.  She uses the show and has used her little puppet Carole to talk about Jason and make things worse.  I don't understand why some people seem to think that the Hoppy grandparents are awful people who should not be trusted with Bryn.  Children need as many loving family members as they can get, and I believe Bryn's grandparents love her very much. 

• Love 7

But the question is why is there any negative perception of the Hoppy parents. This is why. I've seen your arguing points that excuse their behavior, and whether I agree or not, that's not relevant. These are some of the reasons people have a negative impression of Jason's parents. It's not being pulled out of nothing, it's not Jason yet again getting unfairly treated, here's been actual things that happened that make people not see his parents as perfect.

That her grandparents love bryn is lovely but I think the concern currently expressed is that they are older now. My dad loved my 10 year old niece a great deal but we stopped letting Dad take her places becayse she was active and he, not so much, and it was a safety concern.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Rap541 said:

This did happen and she wasn’t authorized w her notary status for that transaction but wasn’t Bethenny all in favor of what was signed at the time with her mother in law signing off on it ? And she only complained later when it was divorce court? That always seems bugged me that Bethennys intent when everyone signed that was true and the notary public status was a technicality to get her out of a contract she wanted out yet she was gung ho all in for it to be notarized at the time. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Perhaps, but wasn't this all due to Jason signing a pre-nup and then trying to use a technicality to gain ownership of the apartment? Sure seems like Jason signed off on the pre-nup and then *complained* and tried to use a technicality to get out of a contract....

My point btw is that the law is for everyone and this never would have been in court if Jason had accepted the terms of his contract without protest. If he's not an evil monster for trying to break the contract, then Betheny isn't an evil monster for defending her rights in court. 

Edited by Rap541
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Rap541 said:

Perhaps, but wasn't this all due to Jason signing a pre-nup and then trying to use a technicality to gain ownership of the apartment? Sure seems like Jason signed off on the pre-nup and then *complained* and tried to use a technicality to get out of a contract....

My point btw is that the law is for everyone and this never would have been in court if Jason had accepted the terms of his contract without protest. If he's not an evil monster for trying to break the contract, then Betheny isn't an evil monster for defending her rights in court. 

I am not sure about the details of the prenup, I did recall that she agreed to whatever Carol was notarizing. 

In general I feel because they came into gargantuan money after the prenup was signed and he had a hand in that. Their romance, engagement, baby and marriage skyrocketed their wealth and he was due some of that in part. I would feel the same if the roles were reversed. 

• Love 7

So Bethenny must be held to contracts, even if circumstances change and flaws in the process are revealed, but Jason should have been allowed out of his contract just because circumstances changed?

I'm glad the law doesn't actually work this way - there'd be no point in signing contracts at all. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Rap541 said:

I'm glad the law doesn't actually work this way - there'd be no point in signing contracts at all. 

Don't prenups and other contracts get challenged all the time though? He's not the first to try to get out of or work around one.

• Love 2

Of course they do. 

My point is that both Bethenny and Jason have legal recourse when it comes to contracts. Not just Jason. 

If Jason had every right to challenge the prenup, then Bethenny had every right to challenge his claim the apartment. No one was treated unfairly under the law. 

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

Of course they do. 

My point is that both Bethenny and Jason have legal recourse when it comes to contracts. Not just Jason. 

If Jason had every right to challenge the prenup, then Bethenny had every right to challenge his claim the apartment. No one was treated unfairly under the law. 

Of course she had a right to challenge it but she can't claim she had "No idea" what she was signing like she did in fact do. Bethenny wasn't some country yokel that didn't know how to read legal language nor was she without legal reps of her own to go over it for her before she signed it. I don't get how many fall for her poor little girl routine so often, that woman is as shrewd as they come. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Rap541 said:

And Jason can't claim he had no idea that by signing a pre-nup he would have no claim to Bethenny's business. He's not some country yokel either. 

I didn't claim he was and he has never claimed he "didn't know what he was signing" either. Only Bethenny made that claim.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

And I don't think I said "Wirewrap said X", did I?

You directly quoted my post/something I said, which is why I replied as I did. Bottom line, Jason never claimed he "didn't know what" he was "signing" as Bethenny did. 

• Love 4

And again, I at no point said "Wirewrap is saying Jason didn't know what he was signing".  

I'm saying both Bethenny and Jason have the legal right to challenge contracts they knowingly signed. In Jason's case, he lost. In Bethenny's case,  she won. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Rap541 said:

But the question is why is there any negative perception of the Hoppy parents. This is why. I've seen your arguing points that excuse their behavior, and whether I agree or not, that's not relevant. These are some of the reasons people have a negative impression of Jason's parents. It's not being pulled out of nothing, it's not Jason yet again getting unfairly treated, here's been actual things that happened that make people not see his parents as perfect.

That her grandparents love bryn is lovely but I think the concern currently expressed is that they are older now. My dad loved my 10 year old niece a great deal but we stopped letting Dad take her places becayse she was active and he, not so much, and it was a safety concern.

Are Jason’s parents so elderly they have lost their faculties?  Is this even a thing?  I didn’t think they were THAT old, nor implied to have dimentia or Alzheimer’s symptoms. Are they legally permitted to drive?  Last I saw of them, them seemed to be in their “golden years” living life as happy and retired senior citizens.  I’m glad to leave my kid in my parents care any time we are able.  They need that bond.  Granted, my parents live 400 miles away from us, but my boy’s Mimi will hop on a plane and get here any time she can.  If they were impaired or medically limited in their ability to watch over Brynn that’s never been brought forth in all of Bethenny’s arguments and fights against family time.  She is against family time because she claims to be raised by wolves.  It’s egregious to otherwise imply they are incapable of caring for a child at this stage in their lives, personal issues aside.

• Love 9

I personally have no idea. 

I will tell you, my dad went from hale and hearty in February of last year, to in hospice in July to dead in Aug. In February I would have had no problem having my ten year old neice at the house with Mom and Dad. In July? I was shelling out for the cost of the airline ticket for her and a parent because she couldn't be there alone. 

The Hoppys are both as old as or older than my dad. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

Are Jason’s parents so elderly they have lost their faculties?  Is this even a thing?  I didn’t think they were THAT old, nor implied to have dimentia or Alzheimer’s symptoms. Are they legally permitted to drive?  Last I saw of them, them seemed to be in their “golden years” living life as happy and retired senior citizens.  I’m glad to leave my kid in my parents care any time we are able.  They need that bond.  Granted, my parents live 400 miles away from us, but my boy’s Mimi will hop on a plane and get here any time she can.  If they were impaired or medically limited in their ability to watch over Brynn that’s never been brought forth in all of Bethenny’s arguments and fights against family time.  She is against family time because she claims to be raised by wolves.  It’s egregious to otherwise imply they are incapable of caring for a child at this stage in their lives, personal issues aside.

Thank You! I watch our granddaughter, 6, all the time and have no problem keeping up with her. In fact, I have watched her since she was 3 months old, while out son/dil are at work, 4 - 5 days a week and anywhere from 6 to 12 hours a day, most often 9 hours a day. In fact, we got her a pool large enough for the whole family because she is at our house so much. Now with the addition of her little sister (5 weeks old), I will have both of them while our son/dil are at work. LOL Oh and I didn't force them to leave the grand(s) with me/us, they asked me/us to do it. Of course, I am a bit younger than the Hoppys, I am 61 and Pappy is 63 and still works full time himself. Just because you are older doesn't mean you are too old to watch your grands without their parents being there. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

I will tell you, my dad went from hale and hearty in February of last year, to in hospice in July to dead in Aug. In February I would have had no problem having my ten year old neice at the house with Mom and Dad. In July? I was shelling out for the cost of the airline ticket for her and a parent because she couldn't be there alone. 

Well, I have an aunt that is 95 who is in amazing shape. She is on facebook, extremely active and was driving up until 2 years ago. Lives on her own with someone who comes in once a week to clean and shop. She is vibrant.

My mom is 80 and can barely recognize me and is in assisted living. 

I just turned 60. I have 3 grandkids, 8, 6 and 2 months. I have absolutely no problems taking care of them here in my home or at theirs. Toss in 2 grandpups and friends of my older grandkids.

We kayak together, we visit all kinds of interesting places, we go camping and fishing (older kids, not baby YET)

They think I am awesome and when my oldest grandkids found out I was coming to stay with them after they moved to Texas they whined because it was only going to be for one week! They facetime me daily to introduce me to their new friends.

My own grandmother was 67 when I was born and she was my most favorite person in the entire world. We were extremely close and I still have great memories of her and miss her. 

Age has nothing to do with building a quality relationship with grandparents!

20 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

Thank You! I watch our granddaughter, 6, all the time and have no problem keeping up with her. In fact, I have watched her since she was 3 months old, while out son/dil are at work, 4 - 5 days a week and anywhere from 6 to 12 hours a day, most often 9 hours a day. In fact, we got her a pool large enough for the whole family because she is at our house so much. Now with the addition of her little sister (5 weeks old), I will have both of them while our son/dil are at work. LOL Oh and I didn't force them to leave the grand(s) with me/us, they asked me/us to do it. Of course, I am a bit younger than the Hoppys, I am 61 and Pappy is 63 and still works full time himself. Just because you are older doesn't mean you are too old to watch your grands without their parents being there. 

Too funny WW, cross posted very similar situations! 

• Love 8
(edited)
34 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

I wish my kiddo could have more time with his Mimi and PawPaw.  But the time they do have together is precious.  Elder incapacity is a hot button with me personally due to losing my dear uncle to Alzheimer’s last year.  It was excruciating to watch my aunt care for her beloved husband who was slipping away.  All the while, being living grandparents to their grands.  I don’t know the Hoppys or Bethenny, but good grief.  If all had just settled down a bit I think the whole “we demand to see her every weekend thing” from 8 years ago would have subsided.  I’d love to have my parents closer to us.  I would gladly give my kid to them weekly for a break and for them to love on him.  

Mad for the underwear debacle?  Again, I was not witness to the event (thank gawd). But let’s blow thing way up.  But maybe I’m jaded.  I was a kid of the 80’s.  I saw my parents in their underwear a lot ( not sexually! ) but like getting dressed or undressed for the day.  My son has seen me in my bra and unders plenty of times when he comes in the bathroom in the morning while I am getting ready.  It’s not shameful.  He is either like BYE or finishes his convo with me.  On the other hand he has walked in on me naked a couple times unannounced while I was getting ready and we were both horrified (but recovered, imagine that!).  Everything does not have to be noted in a court case.  Life happens!  Roll with it, have fun, and laugh!  I only wish I had Bethenny money.  I’d laugh and have fun a hell of a lot more!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by geauxaway
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, Happy Camper said:

Well, I have an aunt that is 95 who is in amazing shape. She is on facebook, extremely active and was driving up until 2 years ago. Lives on her own with someone who comes in once a week to clean and shop. She is vibrant.

My mom is 80 and can barely recognize me and is in assisted living. 

I just turned 60. I have 3 grandkids, 8, 6 and 2 months. I have absolutely no problems taking care of them here in my home or at theirs. Toss in 2 grandpups and friends of my older grandkids.

We kayak together, we visit all kinds of interesting places, we go camping and fishing (older kids, not baby YET)

They think I am awesome and when my oldest grandkids found out I was coming to stay with them after they moved to Texas they whined because it was only going to be for one week! They facetime me daily to introduce me to their new friends.

Love it!  The more the merrier!  FaceTime is a blessing.  Even tho my parents are so far away my kid knows at any given time he can ring them up and see their faces!  

My grands are all gone, but my step dads mom is still alive and kicking, sounds a lot like your auntie you mentioned.  We call her the Queen because she just has this regal presence.  She is very proper.  And while she is not my sons bio great, she still writes him letters and buys him gifts.  She is a beast.  Love comes all around us, don’t it??!! ?

• Love 5

Then how about acknowdging that maybe the Hoppy parents we knew years ago aren't necessarily the Hoppy parents now? Instead of just assuming people are being hateful? I'm not kidding when I say they are the same age as my dad and yes, he was unfit to care for a 10 year old  so why must it be assumed that the Hoppys have NO issues? They're not young, why isn't it fair to be concerned? The attitude is that I am being ridiculous. Sorry, but in *five* months my dad went downhill. Five months. Its been years since we've seen the Hoppys. Not everyone is lucky to live faculties and physically intact until 95. 

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

I’d love to have my parents closer to us.  I would gladly give my kid to them weekly for a break and for them to love on him.  

My daughter says the same thing.

My grandkids used to live a 5 minute walk from me. It was heaven. Now they are a 3 hour plane ride away. I will not let that get in the way of my loving on them. 

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

Love it!  The more the merrier!  FaceTime is a blessing.  Even tho my parents are so far away my kid knows at any given time he can ring them up and see their faces!  

I hope that Bryn is able to facetime with Jason's parents. There is nothing more special than picking up the phone to see a little girl's smiling face saying "Hi Grandma"!

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Happy Camper said:

My daughter says the same thing.

My grandkids used to live a 5 minute walk from me. It was heaven. Now they are a 3 hour plane ride away. I will not let that get in the way of my loving on them. 

I'm lucky, my husband/son work together and their job is moving to a new location that is making us all have to move (just a few hours away). Well, the kids (son/dil) want to buy a house with land so that we can build next to them! Their idea! We love it, this way we are closer to them and can watch the grands easier and help each other out when needed. I suspect my dil is hopping they can pop over for dinner more often, she/all of them love my cooking and this way we can all eat together more often (but not all the time only when both son/dil have to work). Win, Win for all of us. And, they will be there close to us when we do get to the point of needing their help as our health becomes more fragile in a couple of decades down the road,

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

And to bring it back to topic.  Unless someone has receipts on these incapacitated grands, or some other reason a child should be withheld visitation with their extended family (i.e. sexual, mental, physical or verbal abuse), then it’s just hate unless Bethenny has an agenda.  It’s about her and her alone.  Someone produce something other than underwear, a stupid notary stamp and undocumented senielty.  A lot of projection going on here. 

There is no indication that the Hoppys are not loving grandparents. In fact, if you watch them on Beth's show, they are the most caring/loving grandparents that any parent could wish for.

• Love 7
(edited)

To get away from the outlaw discussion and lighten it up a bit (I’ve enjoyed your posts @WireWrap and @Happy Camper).

Somehow I came into possession a bottle of Skinny Girl margarita, many years ago.  I honestly don’t even remember how I got it, maybe won it In a raffle?  Either way, I set it in my fridge and a while later (I admit it may have been a year), I went to pop it open and there was a cloudy mold inside it.  I’m sure the seal must have been cracked on it, but it still turned me off. And considering I can buy a jug of Chi Chi’s or Cuervo lite now, that’s what I go for.  She had the market once, but I don’t need a tiny bottle of diet margs when I can get the handle.

Edited by geauxaway
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

To get away from the outlaw discussion and lighten it up a bit (I’ve enjoyed your posts @WireWrap and @Happy Camper).

Somehow I came into possession a bottle of Skinny Girl margarita, many years ago.  I honestly don’t even remember how I got it, maybe won it In a raffle?  Either way, I set it in my fridge and a while later (I admit it may have been a year), I went to pop it open and there was a cloudy mold inside it.  I’m sure the seal must have been cracked on it, but it still turned me off. And considering I can buy a jug of Chi Chi’s or Cuervo lite now, that’s what I go for.  She had the market once, but I don’t need a tiny bottle of diet margs when I can get the handle.

I'm not much of a drinker so I have never tried any of her SG alcohol or any of her products but I have heard both good and bad reviews on them. I just don't buy very many HW products. I bought some of Heathers Yummy items but I started buying them before she became a HW and I do love most of them, the T shirts I bought (on sale) weren't all that great but the rest was. I have I TG (NJ) cookbook (her first one) that I got for 99 cents (before their BK) and it was a waste of money. I loved Carole's WR book and have reread it a couple of times ( I re read books all the time) but that's it. 

• Love 3
On 7/13/2018 at 12:00 AM, Rap541 said:

So sorry to hear about your Dad. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Bethenny is as big an elitist as Luann, imo  (calling your kid's father "white trash" is as snobby and classist as it gets).

I think once Frankel saw small town life up close and much-too-personal,  the clock started ticking on that marriage. I think she thought the Hoppys were not "of her kind"; not how she saw her future. If they'd been high rollers, things might have shaken out very differently (both pre and post divorce).  Bethenny would have been beyond delighted to spend almost every weekend with the Hoppys, if they'd had a family compound in Martha's Vineyard,  Nantucket, or a ranch in Jackson Hole (and she likely would have demanded time for just her and Bryn,  at those vacation homes, post divorce). But years of barbecues in a suburban backyard,  with Bryn chasing fireflies or playing in a cheap plastic kiddy pool? Fugeddaboutit.  No glamour or red carpets in Hazleton; just beer, brats and potato salad (yum :)

I'm not dragging Frankel for wanting the red carpet life -- have at it -- but you can want it without also trying to erase the presence of grandparents who value kiddy pools more than the paparazzi, and you can claim your patch of fame without calling people "white trash" (even as you mock a co-worker for being a snob).

Edited by film noire
  • Love 17

In fairness, who wouldn't find it more appealing to spend the weekend lounging in luxury over being crammed into your husband's childhood bedroom (with him and a baby) in a boring town with nothing to do?  Every other weekend.  I don't think it's evidence of an evil or elitist character to not want to do that. Or to theoretically prefer Martha's Vineyard over Hazelton, PA, lol. 

When you've busted your ass working all week and just want some down time to relax with your spouse and cuddle your new baby, who wants to be on the hook to schlep 3 hours through nightmare traffic in and out of the city - each way -  to sit around and count the minutes until you can leave, just so that you can wake up Monday morning for another week or work? Not me, that's for sure.  And it's not just a matter of being bored in Hazelton with nothing to do ... think of all the things going on in the city that you can't do that you might have enjoyed. 

I'll never forget Jason's solution - just leaving Bethenny home alone all weekend and going to Hazelton with Bryn alone. That's when *I* heard the clock start ticking on their marriage.  

• Love 13

My husband loves my grandmother (she’s 84 and still active, but just starting to get a little foggy with memory). We lost my grandfather last year in August. Although my husband LOVES her, and enjoys seeing her, many days in a row can get trying. So, when I go visit, I invite him. Sometimes he says, “sure!” And sometimes he asks if I would be upset if he sits it out. On those times, I just go and have grandmother- granddaughter time. No biggie.

It seems to me that Jason mandated that she go every other weekend. Ummm... where’s the choice? Where’s the compromise? I wouldn’t do well in a relationship like that at all. I would feel like a prisoner if I had no choice. 

Granted, B has issues with extended family and maybe she just doesn’t really like his parents, but respected them and did the right face for sake of marriage and Bryn. But, why should she feel trapped? 

• Love 7

One more thing: as a kid, I was so lucky to have both sets of grandparents very involved in my life. And, I spent the night, sometimes multiple nights with each set often. I don’t remember a time that my parents also stayed. They visited, we did family dinners, holidays, etc., but I don’t remember my parents being a part of my grandparent time. It seems odd to me that Jason was so insistent on this. If he wants to spend weekends with his parents, great. But, in this scenario, does Bethenny really have to be without Brynn every other weekend? This bothers me for some reason. 

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

In fairness, who wouldn't find it more appealing to spend the weekend lounging in luxury over being crammed into your husband's childhood bedroom (with him and a baby) in a boring town with nothing to do?  Every other weekend.  I don't think it's evidence of an evil or elitist character to not want to do that. Or to theoretically prefer Martha's Vineyard over Hazelton, PA, lol. 

Perhaps it is possible that Bryn prefers being with her Pennsylvania grandparents, surrounded by love love love, rather than being in the lap of luxury with people who care so much about money.. I would hope that my kids/ grandkids would be happier spending time in a cottage in the woods with her loving parents/ grandparents than  a luxury hotel with relatives who just want to impress with fine furniture and amenities. 

Maybe this just my experience,, it's all I have to go on.  My ex-husband is extremely wealthy. My husband and I are not so much. My grandkids choose to spend much more time camping and fishing with us rather than hanging out in luxury with him. 

Bethenny may have all kinds of money, lounging in luxury, but that may not equal the love being given in Hazelton.

Edited by Happy Camper
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

When you've busted your ass working all week and just want some down time to relax with your spouse and cuddle your new baby, who wants to be on the hook to schlep 3 hours through nightmare traffic in and out of the city - each way -  to sit around and count the minutes until you can leave, just so that you can wake up Monday morning for another week or work? Not me, that's for sure.  And it's not just a matter of being bored in Hazelton with nothing to do ... think of all the things going on in the city that you can't do that you might have enjoyed. 

I'll never forget Jason's solution - just leaving Bethenny home alone all weekend and going to Hazelton with Bryn alone. That's when *I* heard the clock start ticking on their marriage.  

Nahhhh. I put up with going to my in laws (and my mil/I did not get along at all) every other weekend because it made my husband happy and it made our son happy being out his grandparents (mainly pap). He put up with my family and I put up with his, it's something couples do for each other. When our son got older, I stayed home more and more frequently and he didn't have a problem with that. 

47 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

My husband loves my grandmother (she’s 84 and still active, but just starting to get a little foggy with memory). We lost my grandfather last year in August. Although my husband LOVES her, and enjoys seeing her, many days in a row can get trying. So, when I go visit, I invite him. Sometimes he says, “sure!” And sometimes he asks if I would be upset if he sits it out. On those times, I just go and have grandmother- granddaughter time. No biggie.

It seems to me that Jason mandated that she go every other weekend. Ummm... where’s the choice? Where’s the compromise? I wouldn’t do well in a relationship like that at all. I would feel like a prisoner if I had no choice. 

Granted, B has issues with extended family and maybe she just doesn’t really like his parents, but respected them and did the right face for sake of marriage and Bryn. But, why should she feel trapped? 

Jason didn't mandate that they go to his parents like that, Bethenny put her foot down early on and the visits to them and the in law visits to NYC were far less frequent. Bethenny wanted Jason to only see his parents once or twice a year and never on holidays. 

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

Nahhhh. I put up with going to my in laws (and my mil/I did not get along at all) every other weekend because it made my husband happy and it made our son happy being out his grandparents (mainly pap). He put up with my family and I put up with his, it's something couples do for each other. When our son got older, I stayed home more and more frequently and he didn't have a problem with that. 

Jason didn't mandate that they go to his parents like that, Bethenny put her foot down early on and the visits to them and the in law visits to NYC were far less frequent. Bethenny wanted Jason to only see his parents once or twice a year and never on holidays. 

I don’t remember that, but I guess the two of us will have to agree to disagree about B... I’m enjoying our conversations and certainly don’t want ANY of these characters to become a problem. Lol 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

Not to be personally challenging, but since you brought it up ... had you worked a high stress job all week and then had to drive that far, then stay in a small house in a little bedroom with no privacy for two nights with both your husband and baby? Leaving a town as fabulous as NYC behind so you could stay in a little town where you were bored stiff? If you did, good on you. But not everyone is willing to go through all that. The fact that your practices eventually changed speaks to how challenging such an arrangement is.

And let's remember that Jason was never called upon to reciprocate such a courtesy to Betheny's family because ... no relationship. You were getting your husband to visit your family with you in return for what you did. Bethenny wasn't going to get that in exchange. I know, I know ... Bryn, she should have done it for Bryn. Well maybe she wanted time to relax in her own home in order to be a better mother to Bryn. Maybe she wanted more quiet down time with her daughter to bond and trips to Hazelton cut in on that. It's possible that Bryn's interests were being served in other ways by not trekking to Hazelton so often. Bryn should have a relationship with her grandparents, to be sure. But her relationship with her mother matters, too.

38 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

Bethenny wanted Jason to only see his parents once or twice a year and never on holidays. 

That is not what I remember and seems like a tremendous exaggeration to me. Never on holidays? Never?

49 minutes ago, Happy Camper said:

Perhaps it is possible that Bryn prefers being with her Pennsylvania grandparents, surrounded by love love love, rather than being in the lap of luxury with people who care so much about money.. I would hope that my kids/ grandkids would be happier spending time in a cottage in the woods with her loving parents/ grandparents than  a luxury hotel with relatives who just want to impress with fine furniture and amenities. 

Maybe this just my experience,, it's all I have to go on.  My ex-husband is extremely wealthy. My husband and I are not so much. My grandkids choose to spend much more time camping and fishing with us rather than hanging out in luxury with him. 

Bethenny may have all kinds of money, lounging in luxury, but that may not equal the love being given in Hazelton.

It's been my experience that people with money can be as warm and loving and fun as anybody else. Not all wealthy people are preoccupied with money and impressing people.

That being said, I think Bethenny is managing to provide Bryn with plenty of love and luxury.  Her life is not without some drama, but overall I think she is a very lucky little girl.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Not to be personally challenging, but since you brought it up ... had you worked a high stress job all week and then had to drive that far, then stay in a small house in a little bedroom with no privacy for two nights with both your husband and baby? Leaving a town as fabulous as NYC behind so you could stay in a little town where you were bored stiff? If you did, good on you. But not everyone is willing to go through all that. The fact that your practices eventually changed speaks to how challenging such an arrangement is.

And let's remember that Jason was never called upon to reciprocate such a courtesy to Betheny's family because ... no relationship. You were getting your husband to visit your family with you in return for what you did. Bethenny wasn't going to get that in exchange. I know, I know ... Bryn, she should have done it for Bryn. Well maybe she wanted time to relax in her own home in order to be a better mother to Bryn. Maybe she wanted more quiet down time with her daughter to bond and trips to Hazelton cut in on that. It's possible that Bryn's interests were being served in other ways by not trekking to Hazelton so often. Bryn should have a relationship with her grandparents, to be sure. But her relationship with her mother matters, too.

That is not what I remember and seems like a tremendous exaggeration to me. Never on holidays? Never?

It's been my experience that people with money can be as warm and loving and fun as anybody else. Not all wealthy people are preoccupied with money and impressing people.

That being said, I think Bethenny is managing to provide Bryn with plenty of love and luxury.  Her life is not without some drama, but overall I think she is a very lucky little girl.

Yes, to both. My job was in health care and very stressful and, although it only took 2 hours to get to their house, the traffic was always really bad. My mil would walk into our bedroom without knocking/announcing herself. Yes, I eventually cut back on how often I went but then again, my mil didn't like me, never did and she made it known to everyone. 

No, Jason never had to go to Bernadette's but that was Bethenny's choice and not his, so we can't hold that against him. He supported Bethenny's decision about her mother and she needed to do the same about his parents. 

Yes, Bethenny was clear that twice a year visits with his family were enough and they argued about her not wanting to spend any time with his parents during the holidays. She wanted them to start their own traditions for each holiday by going on a trip/short vacation to the beach/skiing/anywhere his family wasn't. 

Of course money doesn't mean that there can't be a loving grandparent/grand relationship but at the same time, just because someone has money enough to shower kids with things/trips doesn't mean that the kid feels loved, especially when they are young. 

I do believe that Bethenny loves Bryn and tries to be a good parent but I also believe that Bethenny believes that things are more important than anything else. 

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Well the argument was filmed so it was he said every weekend and what was wrong with her. She said first it’s a lot to do every weekend, packing driving 5 hours each way after working all week.  He said fine they can come down here every other week.  She said how about we visit them every other week.  He said what is so important to do here.  She said I thought just being with friends, walking with the stroller on  Sunday morning we work all week and never have a chance to just be a family to be with friends.  He says ok you stay here with your friends and I’ll take Brynn to PA.  You don’t know what being a family means.

All on BEA.

• Love 6
(edited)
10 hours ago, QuinnM said:

Well the argument was filmed so it was he said every weekend and what was wrong with her. She said first it’s a lot to do every weekend, packing driving 5 hours each way after working all week.  He said fine they can come down here every other week.  She said how about we visit them every other week.  He said what is so important to do here.  She said I thought just being with friends, walking with the stroller on  Sunday morning we work all week and never have a chance to just be a family to be with friends.  He says ok you stay here with your friends and I’ll take Brynn to PA.  You don’t know what being a family means.

All on BEA.

I thought my memory was faulty but this isn’t just how I remember it. Thank you!

Edited by bagger
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, bagger said:

I thought my memory wasn’t faulty but this isn’t just how I remember it. Thank you!

It was the first time I heard him say she didn’t know what a family was and it threw a lot of red flags for me.  It is obviously the truth, she really didn’t.  But her picture of the two of them strolling along the river with Bryn was just so heartbreaking to me.  That’s the fairy tale that she grew up wanting and this was not the man that was going to give her that.  His first priority was his parents.  Not his wife and not his child.  The child was a gift to his parents to make up for the son they lost.  It was like some Greek tragedy.  And no surprise that’s exactly how the divorce played out.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

It was the first time I heard him say she didn’t know what a family was and it threw a lot of red flags for me.  It is obviously the truth, she really didn’t.  But her picture of the two of them strolling along the river with Bryn was just so heartbreaking to me.  That’s the fairy tale that she grew up wanting and this was not the man that was going to give her that.  His first priority was his parents.  Not his wife and not his child.  The child was a gift to his parents to make up for the son they lost.  It was like some Greek tragedy.  And no surprise that’s exactly how the divorce played out.

This 

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

All on BEA.

Yes that was the initial discussion and he did give into her and they saw far less of his parents. And it was also on the BEA show when Bethenny told Jason that she wanted all the holidays to be just them, without his parents. Oh, and Jason was correct, Bethenny didn't/doesn't know what being a family means.

• Love 8