Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Red Carpet

Didn't like that the assistants were the parents, didn't like the host, didn't like the "steal the assistant for 1/2 hour" thing, didn't like the clothes. I did like canceling the series recording though.

• Love 7

I think they should give all the kids a "Participation" ribbon, and call it a day. 

Pepper...Go ahead and watch the first episode.  Feel alternately sad, frustrated, annoyed then insulted.  :)

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 5

This was horrible. Maybe if they had a decent host, it would have been more peppy. Watching Vanessa Simmons (is that her name) is like watching paint dry. I wonder if her wealthy family is behind the show somehow, 'cause she sure didn't get the role based on charisma and talent.

An embarrassing fail.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 4

I was really disappointed with this.  And I was looking forward to it, too.  I have a 10 year old daughter who likes sketching fashions, and I thought it was a show we'd enjoy together.  And with Christian...I really had high hopes.  But, this was awful.

The host was terrible.  What is her claim to fame?  She certainly can't be a fashion expert... can she?  Her comments had no basis, like she was just making noise, to try to contribute.  I nearly turned it off, when she made that girl cry over her fabric choice.  But, I stuck with it, just in the hopes of seeing Bradford win. 

The challenge looks, compared to the looks they brought from home, really had me wondering how much help they got at home.  This show seemed too cruel to be fun, especially the "assistant steal" BS.  Winning an advantage should be a type of advantage that does not penalize one specific contestant, on any show.. let alone a kids' show. 

• Love 6

Vanessa Simmons is the daughter or "Reverend" Simmons, a successful pioneer in the hip-hop industry. They appeared together in the Simmons family reality TV show, during which she launched a shoe line with her sister. Her uncle is Russell Simmons. I believe the families are extremely wealthy (one never knows with this economy, celebrity spending habits, etc.).

They are banging out these runway shows like there was a time limit on them.  They are creating a premature death to all of them by doing this.  PR All Stars is coming up, too.   

Ask them to sew something a young rock star would wear or name a singer, Katie Perry, Mylie Cyrus, etc.  Street wear makes more sense than a fancy gown.  

Either choose a trio whose parent sews or not.  And no sealing another's parent!.  Oy

This was a disaster.  I fell asleep and had to look this morning to see who won.

Christian looked like he had a gun to his head to do this.  I assume the judges rotate each week.  He is too big a name to be doing this for the season.  So is Kelly.  

• Love 3

Will there be three different contestants every time? That might help, if there was more talent. This group made me appreciate Sandhya's pinwheels.

Not that I'll be watching regardless, because the entire execution is bad, from the parents to the judges to the set to the host to the fabrics. Sorry, Jo-Ann.

I think they should give all the kids a "Participation" ribbon, and call it a day.

I understand they're children, I do, but stop fawning over poorly sewn clothes that look like bad Butterick patterns from the 70s.

• Love 4

Okay, I had to watch it based on the first 2 comments and I have to say WOW.

Look, I know they're KIDS, but can none of them press a seam? And why would you have their parents help them in the first place, but in the second place, re the lad who won: if you KNOW that's what's happening, teach your mom some stuff. I think the girl who made the red dress with the beautiful pleats said she taught her dad ffs when she knew this would be the format!!

And I hate hating on a kid, but the one who's travelled to England, Paris, loves luxury and private jets? Eww. That is so unbecoming coming from a 12 year old. Nice job, Mom (and Dad, I'm guessing) ensuring that no man will probably ever be able to give her the stuff mom and dad started giving her as she came out of the womb.

The show wasn't HORRIBLE, but I'm pretty sure I won't be tuning in again, even to see Christian.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 11

Well, it wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen (though I'm not really into precocious children).  Sadly it was another ridiculous short deadline challenge with the dreaded second item added.  On the other hand a contest of basically  one day with $25,000 worth of prizes is not a bad.  The only thing I can think is if they decide to cancel the show early, it will be easier with each episode standing on its own. I was surprised at the winner (especially since his assistant was fairly useless) but I've learned  judges and I do not see eye-to-eye.  The judges were kind and encouraging to the youngsters, who actually do seem to have some talent.  Aside from Christian Sirano (who I think signed up for the entire series and not just one episode) and Kelly Osborne (who I would never take fashion advice from), I didn't really know who the rest of the crew was (not my age group).  The young designers might be a little annoying but not any more so than any of the adult designers on "Project Runway."  I don't feel all warm and fuzzy about youngsters designing sexy adult clothes but that's the culture we live in and that's more my problem than theirs.  The designs seemed so old that I realized that I would have liked to seen them design something for their own age group, but I don't think the young designers from this week would have enjoyed that.  The jet setter would have been particularly disdainful of that approach--there is such a thing as being too worldly (she is already planning world wide domination with her clothing shops so what do I know?). Oh, well. I'm not sure I'll watch again but it was no bigger waste of time than was, oh, let's say, "Under the Gunn" or this last season of "Project Runway."

Agree with those who said this was horrible.  My only take-away was a new appreciation for Christian Soriano who completely did away with his snark for this show and actually seemed warm (not warm and fuzzy - never warm and fuzzy! - but at least warm).  This is the first time watching him where I thought, "I could have a beer with that guy - OK, maybe not a beer -  a glass of white wine or a Scotch - his choice."

There are 3 new contestants every week and probably a comp with the winners of each episode to determine the the ultimate winner. 

I took sewing in 7th grade and have been sewing ever since. I used patterns though all the way up until it was no longer fun to sew clothes, in my 30s. These kids are making their own patterns, that is huge.  Some things didn't fit very well but those box pleats were impressive.  

Edited by wings707

Little Veruca Salt had me rolling with the, "I specialize in surprise backs." Well, surprise! Yours was terrible, enjoy your ride home.

Girl is gonna be a monster when she grows up. A MONSTER.

I liked the kid who won, seemed nice. That's basically all I got because this show was so seriously pointless.

These kids and parents have certainly been told not to read anything on social media.  Their friends will if they don't sneak.  I think the parents have set their children up for some heartache and trauma.  The one little girl cried when the host suggested a different fabric.  This girl is not going to be able to handle what some may say about her.  

• Love 1

These kids and parents have certainly been told not to read anything on social media.  Their friends will if they don't sneak.  I think the parents have set their children up for some heartache and trauma.  The one little girl cried when the host suggested a different fabric.  This girl is not going to be able to handle what some may say about her.  

I can't really bring myself to criticize these kids, since they are really trying... and I think they have some creative ideas etc... but that doesn't leave me with much else to say about this show.

• Love 1

I alternated between wanting to send the kids to a time-out, rolling my eyes at the pathetic "My child is so wonderful and I'm such a loser" parenting, and having an occasional grudging respect here and there.

Despite what seemed like horrible behavior initially from the boy towards his mother and her "acceptance" of it, in the end, I thought she came off rather well overall. It was telling that he called the host "Ma'am" and when the host said "You don't have to do that", Mom popped up and said "Yes, he does!".

My guess is that despite what we saw in their "fashion" interactions, Mom does not put up with her son's attitude in any other area of their life. So kudos to her.

The more disturbing dynamic was between Miss Special Snowflake and her "I totally suck" mother. Mom! Grow a backbone! Both personalities there have serious issues, and together, it's a little scary.

The format did seem cruel, but I'm glad they at least found kids about the same age. Even a couple of years this way or that for the 3 different kids would be a huge issue. There's a world of difference between an 11 year old and a 14 year old, so having all 3 be in the 12-13 range was the ONE wise choice. Throwing in a "advantage" that actually hurt a contestant while benefitting another is out of line in my opinion. They don't even do that on PR with ADULTS. I wonder if they orignally planned that thinking they needed some balance for the kid whose Mom didn't sew?

I think the kids actually did ok with their outfits given the time constraints, curve-balls, and level of probable stress for children who had probably never been "competitors" in other areas of their lives.

I've been rewatching season after season of PR with my 13 year old daughter (and trying not to spoil her) so we were excited for this, being huge Christian fans. Within three minutes we were whimpering pitifully. The background music! IT NEVER STOPPED. I thought it would be a genuine junior version of PR but this was a cheap knockoff that I am trying to scrub from my brain.

We ff'd to the end and we're done.

Didn't like that the assistants were the parents, didn't like the host, didn't like the "steal the assistant for 1/2 hour" thing, didn't like the clothes. I did like canceling the series recording though.

Amen to that.  There's nothing to recommend in this show, except put it on the Disney Channel where maybe kids can watch it.  I can't.

What is up with Lifetime's fascination with reality shows with children?? Enough already.

I know.  And they have Project Runway All-Stars coming up.

Edited by nottopbravo

OK, I almost never mind the host. Hell, I liked Camila Alves on Shear Genius and Katie Lee on the first season of Top Chef. But I almost deleted the show as soon as she made her first comment (to Bradford about being more youthful). I stuck it out and she got worse! Her comments were either useless or worse than useless.  And her presence, blech.  I'll pretty much watch any skill or talent-based competition, especially ones like So You Think You Can Dance and Face Off, where competitors can learn and grow, but I don't know if I'll give this one more chance.   

I was recapping so I have a skewed perspective but it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Overall it just seemed super tame. They tried to stir up drama with all the twists and that 30 min assistant switch but they didn't really get the reactions they wanted, though they got two people to cry. This is also just way too complicated. Again, I'm recapping so I'm just annoyed I have to recap all these details and get all the pictures but why do you need to have three challenges in one episode? Please tell me they're not going to do this every week. I will go insane. 

• Love 2

Maybe it's an antiquated attitude, but I never enjoy situations that put children in a pressure-filled position of ordering adults around.  And seeing it on TV is definitely not entertainment for me and just seems uncomfortable for everybody. 

Sure, pressure can actually be a positive thing when it pushes us to perform at a higher level.  But I think knowing that as an adult, we're better equipped to deal with it and the aftermath. 

I just can't get over that little girl who kept crying, then didn't know what to do next.   

Of course, we've seen that on PR with people like Helen, but she was old enough to really understand the consequences of what she was doing.

I won't be watching again.  And it saddens me, because I've spent the whole afternoon watching Christian's season of PR (Season 4) on E! TV.  I just don't want to see him on this show. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1

Why does Vanessa Simmons, a grown woman, have the voice of a 10-year-old girl?

I forgot about that. I was really confused when she first started talking, she sounded like a child but looked like she was at least in her 20s. It was weird.

• Love 2

I thought the narrator was a kid...I swear.  Then I saw it was the host and I couldn't believe the voice.

The boy designed a beautiful gown but I hated his denim look and he annoyed the crap out of me because every time the camera focused on him he was telling his mother she can't sew, she's basically useless.  So why did he bring her in the first place?

I'd like to know what award show the red dress father saw that blue flowered material on.  I liked her dress too.

The other girl and her mother bugged.

What will stop a stage mother who is picked to help from sabotaging.

I hated when they thrust yet another task on the contestants.  My goodness..they are kids.  I'm sure they can't sew fast like Kini, assistant or not.  It's not fair.

Ease off on the pressure Producers.

• Love 2

Guys, please don't stop watching. I need someone to read my recaps on trashtalktv. I don't mind Vanessa's voice that much but I do mind the fact that they will not stop with the voiceover. It would be bad enough if it were Tim Gunn but her voice just gets more grating with each voiceover.

I'll even keep my comments about the kids all nice, and confine my snark to only the adults!  *LOL*

I won't. ;) 

You think I'm a little nice because I'm all reasonable on previously. You have not met recapper me. 

Finally got around to watching Project Runway:Torturing Children for Fun and Profit.  I had to fast-forward through most of the second half because seeing kids stressed out and panicked is just not my idea of entertainment.  (It's not all that amusing with adults, especially since PR:Original Recipe has pretty much exhausted all the talking head variations of "I'm so screwed.")  I suppose they can't give the kids the time and resources to make something decent because they might show up the "talent" of recent regular seasons, but instead of toning down the amount of ridiculousness, they turned it up.  So pass.

• Love 2

Oh dear Lord what a mess. This is exactly what I was afraid master chef Jr. would be but wasn't. There was a show who geared itself for kids and was wonderful. This was like chopped but with 12 year olds....just bad. Making a kid cry is not entertaining at all. Throw in challenges that would break an adult and kids bossing adults around. Ugh. And sorry but I'm not interested in looking at horribly sewn clothes you're kid makes. Wait till they grow up and can really see well. Then I'll be interested. Fail.

• Love 1

A competition with 18 to 23 yrs old design school or college design majors would be interesting.  I am going to watch this show for awhile to see how it goes but I have little hope.  

The problem, aside from them being too young, is the host and format.  It feels thrown together without any passion or vision from the creator. 

• Love 5

I won't. ;) 

You think I'm a little nice because I'm all reasonable on previously. You have not met recapper me. 

Gotta say, the recapper you is a hoot.  You definitely are taking one for the team.  :)

• Love 1

Guys, please don't stop watching. I need someone to read my recaps on trashtalktv.

I'll be happy to read your recaps (and this forum) but nothing on God's green earth could make me watch this show.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2

Sadly it was another ridiculous short deadline challenge with the dreaded second item added.  

Yes, I really don't like the extreme time pressure and "twists" aspect of the show. I'd be happy if the kids got a week to work with minimal "assisting" from parents, and no surprises. Kids that age are fine with competition if it's straightforward and completely fair.

I can't really bring myself to criticize these kids, since they are really trying... and I think they have some creative ideas etc... but that doesn't leave me with much else to say about this show.

Yes, they are also young enough that any budding personality issues can be still be laid at the door of their parents :-) Even Kenzie might just be one life-changing empathy lesson away from being a really good person.

The more disturbing dynamic was between Miss Special Snowflake and her "I totally suck" mother. Mom! Grow a backbone! Both personalities there have serious issues, and together, it's a little scary.

The format did seem cruel, but I'm glad they at least found kids about the same age. Even a couple of years this way or that for the 3 different kids would be a huge issue. There's a world of difference between an 11 year old and a 14 year old, so having all 3 be in the 12-13 range was the ONE wise choice. Throwing in a "advantage" that actually hurt a contestant while benefitting another is out of line in my opinion. They don't even do that on PR with ADULTS. I wonder if they orignally planned that thinking they needed some balance for the kid whose Mom didn't sew?

I think the kids actually did ok with their outfits given the time constraints, curve-balls, and level of probable stress for children who had probably never been "competitors" in other areas of their lives.

Kenzie's mom seems to have had a more modest upbringing than Kenzie but doesn't come across as the trophy wife type. I'm inappropriately and sheepishly curious about where the family money came from. Totally on-board with the rest of your comments here.

I just can't get over that little girl who kept crying, then didn't know what to do next.   

It's not fun to watch, but I think it worked out OK. I think what was stressing her out was her dad pressuring her not to change fabrics. While it was a choice with a downside, it definitely was the right choice, he was just wrong, and I think she knew that. She even said she'd been having second thoughts about the fabric earlier. She seemed OK with the suggestion until he chimed in.

A few tears got him to back off a little and let her relieve some stress. She seemed to bounce back after that. A good, brief cry is not the worst thing in the world, especially  at her age.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 2

Horrible.

As others have mentioned, I was hoping for more of a Master Chef: Junior than what was thrown at us last night.

Why, why WHY couldn't they just give the kids more time, as opposed to forcing them to have an "assistant" (all of whom were worthless, as far as I could tell). Or, if they did want the kids to have help, how about some professionals from the garment industry (what was that show where three adult contestents had to create a mini-collection, but had pro seamstresses at their disposal, who they had to manage)?

As soon as I saw the program was being sponsored by Jo-Ann, I groaned. Their fabric is CRAP. When I was living in Texas, the fabric stores in my area were limited to Jo-Ann and another chain, and I ask you - how do you even FIND interfacing that's off-grain to sell? (Not kidding. After buying and returning multiple yards of fabric and interfacing only to discover they were ALL either off-grain or defective in other ways I finally gave up). Honestly, Project Runway must have boosted sales at Mood exponentially, so couldn't Mood have thrown in a few bolts of decent fabric for this show? Polyester and a bunch of quilting cottons and cheap embellishments does not a Red Carpet look make.

I felt bad for all those kids. I think all of them could have done much better if they'd had access to better quality materials, and more time OR assistants who actually knew how to sew.

The clothes themselves? Just awful.

The judges comments made me wonder if all of them were drunk or just visually impaired.

Maybe both.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 2

I would absolutely be on board if they Mastercheffed the format a bit, as many here have suggested.  Give the kids some basic construction & sewing tutorials the day before.  Get some professionals in to mentor the kids BEFORE the televised competition.  Hell, make the "assistants" sit in too, so they aren't totally befuzzled by things like a zipper foot or a French seam.

Healthy competition for kids is great, but they should have a little fun too. 

Twirly, the show you're referring to was "24-hour Catwalk".  I liked that show. 

• Love 1

This show is not good. I turned it off at about the ten minute mark. In retrospect, I guess I was expecting some sort of gifted fashion savants who would conjure up well-made, fashion-forward garments with a wow factor. But of course they can't. Because they are children. And because the project runway franchise is all about paying lip service to innovative fashion, while doing everything possible to make sure it doesn't actually happen. I forgot that for a minute.

Poorly made, uninspired outfits on Project Runway: Original Recipe annoy me. They don't annoy me any less when they are made by children. The host was dreadful. Christian was bland in a way I didn't know he was capable of, and I refuse to acknowledge  Kelly Osbourne as any kind of fashion expert. This show was a bore, and it was a real mistake to air it following an equally boring PR finale.

I'm out.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 2

I was surprised by the format, not like PR at all really.  It reminded me of those game shows on nickelodien back in the 90's--which isn't a bad thing, it just depends on who the audience is.  Red carpet does seem too boring for their age set, but I guess if they were 14 they'd be more rebellious and scoff at it.  But the models should be close to their age group and they should be putting out their own creative innovations for young people. 

That red satin gown with it's 'pleats' was just screaming cheerleader to me, and the fabric looked SO cheap...  And was it really necessary to have two 'celebrity' guest judges in the same episode?  This was all over the place.  I didn't like the host/judge/mentor Vanessa, if Christian is going to be there every episode he should have a better defined top role.  I might watch another episode.

Edited by Glade

This show is really weird. I don't see what the point is. Asking a kid to make a red carpet look in 24 hours, then have them do another look? How can anything decent be made by them? I feel sorry for the kids, maybe not so much for the rich girl. I wonder if Christian signed the contract before realizing what the show would be like.

I guess I dislike this show because it's designed to humiliate the kids by forcing them to do shoddy work on TV. Maybe not intentionally but that's the result. Why not have a Barbie challenge? Or a dog outfit challenge? Those would be fun and easier for the kids to do in 24 hours.

• Love 1

I wonder if one reason for the rushed format is because of the limits on how much time kids can be in production each day, and how much time they have to be tutored or in school (even if home-schooled).

My guess is they filmed this in the summer.  

... I refuse to acknowledge  Kelly Osbourne as any kind of fashion expert.

SO MUCH THIS.   Also, I got the impression that, when she walked in waving, the kids' expressions were saying, "Who in fresh hell is this?"

Edited by Puffaroo
  • Love 4

I actually didn't want to watch this because I was afraid the kids would kick my ass at sewing...that turned out not to be the case.

I'm also sick to death of rich kids of famous parents being fashion experts, designers, and models.  I don't think it really counts when it's all handed to you.

• Love 1