Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Jake takes better vacations than I do! Lucky dog 🙂

I have a feeling that if went on vacation, and Norman was hanging out with three other golden retrievers while I was on that vacation, at least once I would be wishing I were with the dogs as opposed to doing what I was doing.

• Love 9

Poor sweet Bella and her family could use all the well-wishes they can get as she spends the last night of her life with her family tonight. She was adopted from my shelter back in 2013 (I nursed her back from a horrible URI that took her littermate's life). She was adopted to a wonderful family in Rhode Island. She has fluids building up in her lungs and the vet treated her enough so she could have one last night at home. I'll never forget this sweetie. She is leaving behind an 8 year old little boy who grew up with her and they are the best of friends.

Bella in 2013 and in 2021:

bella 2013.jpg

256046605_10227867150328376_4800232712757067716_n.jpg

• Love 1

RIP Bella. What a pretty girl. 

Im going to take my first vacation since the pandemic and my first as a dog owner. 

I told Cosmo I was going to go away for a few days and that M (my sister’s caregiver who walks him in the afternoons when I’m in the office) is going to dog sit for me so he will have company. I am sure he will have a lovely week, but this is the first time I’ve left him and the first time I’ve left Blake since he’s been an only cat. #PetParent

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

RIP Bella. What a pretty girl. 

Im going to take my first vacation since the pandemic and my first as a dog owner. 

I told Cosmo I was going to go away for a few days and that M (my sister’s caregiver who walks him in the afternoons when I’m in the office) is going to dog sit for me so he will have company. I am sure he will have a lovely week, but this is the first time I’ve left him and the first time I’ve left Blake since he’s been an only cat. #PetParent

You really deserve a vacation, but I sure would understand if you felt some anxiety about leaving those fur babies. 😀

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Suzn said:

You really deserve a vacation, but I sure would understand if you felt some anxiety about leaving those fur babies. 😀

This may seem silly- but Cosmo had to go to boarding so much a year ago when my godmother (his old Mom) was traveling to receiving cancer treatments. I don’t want him to think I’m sick or something. 

I know- the dog doesn’t think that, and this is just me the human thinking about the people I loved that aren’t here, but thanks for understanding. 😃

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

This may seem silly- but Cosmo had to go to boarding so much a year ago when my godmother (his old Mom) was traveling to receiving cancer treatments. I don’t want him to think I’m sick or something. 

I know- the dog doesn’t think that, and this is just me the human thinking about the people I loved that aren’t here, but thanks for understanding. 😃

I totally get you. My husband and I haven’t traveled together since 2015 because of our then elderly cats (who have since passed). We’re worried about leaving our new cats because they are afraid of other people and would be stressed. 

• Love 5
On 11/14/2021 at 9:01 PM, Scarlett45 said:

It's not silly at all.  Dogs do remember things and make associations with events.  I had a dog, Kiska, whose companion went to the vet and did not come home.  Later Kiska got a new companion and when Sushka went to the vet to be spayed, Kiska was hysterical, she cried and howled.  Later when Sushka had a vet visit, Kiska wasn't worried at all.  Kiska thought the vet visit meant she was losing a friend until she learned that her friend would come home.

This may sound silly to you - tell Cosmo what's going on.  He will understand more than you might think.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Suzn said:

Dogs do remember things and make associations with events.  I had a dog, Kiska, whose companion went to the vet and did not come home.  Later Kiska got a new companion and when Sushka went to the vet to be spayed, Kiska was hysterical, she cried and howled.

We had three cats for much of my childhood and teen years.  One went to the vet and never came home, and shortly after that, one of the other two needed to go in.  The third - who normally dove under the bed at the first glimpse of the dreaded carrier - threw himself on top of the carrier when we put her in it, trying to stop us from taking her away, too!

It was heartbreaking.  We were pretty sure we knew what she had, and the vet would confirm it and send her home with meds, which is what happened, so he only suffered for an hour or so, but if she'd had to stay overnight that would have been terrible for him, poor guy. 

This summer, my best friend had to have two of her three dogs put to sleep within 48 hours of each other (and this was just over a week after her mom died; I still have no idea how she survived).  Same scenario with both - she left with a dog and came home without.  Her third dog freaked the fuck out, really anxious and destroying the house.  My friend has since brought home another dog, and things are settling down.

Anyway, @Scarlett45, Cosmo's thought process isn't going to be remotely on that level, given the time passed, but the fact they understand but don't means it's completely normal for you to worry about the big baby man's reaction to this first absence of yours.  But, first, it will be different (if I understand it correctly; before, he was boarded, and now he'll be at home with visits from the sitter?), and, fundamentally, you'll be home at the end of it.  That will be his new association - Mommy comes back.  And then is home for a long while.  Then goes away for another vacation at some point, and comes back.  It's a different timeline, not just a different setting. 

He'll be fine, so will you, and so will Blake.  Have a great time, and then enjoy the hell out of catching up on snuggles with them when you return.

• Love 11

With a euthenasia on our horizon, I've been grappling with whether or not to take her sibling with us, with the thought that she will somehow understand why Onyx didn't come home.  I'm trying to avoid visiting human baggage onto a cat, while not really knowing what they do and don't comprehend.  I'm sure that Pearl knows Onyx is ill, but will she make that connection?  I don't think, given all the Covid nonsense, that the Vet will make a home visit, which is what we would prefer.  Add to this that I don't want to "poison the well" with Pearl, and make her travel anxiety even worse when she has a vet appointment.

Overthinking is my birthright. 😏

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I don't think, given all the Covid nonsense, that the Vet will make a home visit, which is what we would prefer. 

Check around.  All the services that provide in-home euthanasia here were in full swing when we needed them for Chester this summer, and it was even no problem back well before vaccination when my friend needed them for her cat (back then, we thought they'd require it to be done outdoors, which is where she wanted to do it anyway, but that wasn't the case; the only requirement was wearing masks, but the vet always gave opportunities for her to step away so we could remove our masks and kiss him all we wanted). 

Bandit clearly knew when Chester died (I guess there's a pheremone released?); he had been his happy, talkative self the whole time, pestering the vet to pay attention to him (which she did), and then shortly after the final injection, he got really quiet, looked up, and then left the room.

I think it was good for him to be there, to at least somewhat understand what happened (he never once looked for Chester after that, while he had looked for Bailey after he never came home, so he doesn't seem to be dealing with any confusion, but he's definitely struggling with some anxiety over his buddy being gone).  But that was at home; when the euthanasia has been performed at the hospital, I've never taken another pet along to be there for it (given the stress of a trip to the vet).

Pearl will need time to grieve whatever you do, and in time she'll be okay whatever you do.  There's no right or wrong choice.

I'm sorry you have this on the horizon.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

With a euthenasia on our horizon, I've been grappling with whether or not to take her sibling with us, with the thought that she will somehow understand why Onyx didn't come home.  I'm trying to avoid visiting human baggage onto a cat, while not really knowing what they do and don't comprehend.  I'm sure that Pearl knows Onyx is ill, but will she make that connection?  I don't think, given all the Covid nonsense, that the Vet will make a home visit, which is what we would prefer.  Add to this that I don't want to "poison the well" with Pearl, and make her travel anxiety even worse when she has a vet appointment.

Overthinking is my birthright. 😏

I am so so sorry you are facing this.

Animals do grieve their companions.  I will say that Shlamey grieved Shlomo terribly.  She would look for him and cry (well, it was a different meow than her normal ones).  Maybe two nights later she was doing that and then came and snuggled up to my chest.  I just talked to her and explained he wasn't sick anymore and he wasn't where we could see him and touch him, but, that he would always be with us and touched her little chest over her heart.  I had explained this when I came home, but, this was quiet and close.  She gave a sigh and settled down and went to sleep.  She still looked for him for a bit, but, it wasn't as intense as it was.  

So, yes, I think they know a difference between not coming back because they are in the hospital (which we had been through with him and she didn't act that way) and not coming back at all.  I also think they understand us more than we think.  Not the actual words, but, I think the intent and message sometimes does get across.

I have no answers about taking her with you, especially since she has travel anxiety, but, afterwards, she will guide you.  You are a loving pet parent and you will pick up on her cues to know how to help her.  Just love her and let her love you back.  You will help each other through this.

You and Pearl are in my thoughts.

• Love 10
20 minutes ago, tiftgirl said:

I also think they understand us more than we think.  Not the actual words, but, I think the intent and message sometimes does get across.

I feel certain that they understand the underlying idea.  No, it's not the words, but the feelings somehow are transmitted.

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, tiftgirl said:

I am so so sorry you are facing this.

Animals do grieve their companions.  I will say that Shlamey grieved Shlomo terribly.  She would look for him and cry (well, it was a different meow than her normal ones).  Maybe two nights later she was doing that and then came and snuggled up to my chest.  I just talked to her and explained he wasn't sick anymore and he wasn't where we could see him and touch him, but, that he would always be with us and touched her little chest over her heart.  I had explained this when I came home, but, this was quiet and close.  She gave a sigh and settled down and went to sleep.  She still looked for him for a bit, but, it wasn't as intense as it was.  

So, yes, I think they know a difference between not coming back because they are in the hospital (which we had been through with him and she didn't act that way) and not coming back at all.  I also think they understand us more than we think.  Not the actual words, but, I think the intent and message sometimes does get across.

I have no answers about taking her with you, especially since she has travel anxiety, but, afterwards, she will guide you.  You are a loving pet parent and you will pick up on her cues to know how to help her.  Just love her and let her love you back.  You will help each other through this.

You and Pearl are in my thoughts.

Thanks to you and @Bastet for your advice and kind words.  I truly appreciate it.  Been through this more times than I care to think about.  

• Love 5

Cats do mourn terribly. 

About 3 months ago, 12 year old Malcolm left us, His brother and litter make, Jack, who is a sensitive soul, has had a rough time adjusting and now he has chewed a bunch of fur off.

They really do grieve so much and I’m sorry for everyone’s loss.

I still miss our cats Talia and Lennier who have been gone for almost 10 years.

Edited by Stats Queen
1 hour ago, Stats Queen said:

About 3 months ago, 12 year old Malcolm left us, His brother and litter make, Jack, who is a sensitive soul, has had a rough time adjusting and now he has chewed a bunch of fur off.

Bandit is really struggling, too, to the point we're considering putting him on Prozac for a few months (he's been prone to anxiety before, but never this bad).  We even took him in for a full work-up recently, even though he'd just had one in July, to make sure there was no physical problem causing his agitation (since it was possible the timing was coincidental, and he'd developed hyperthyroidism or something).  Nope.  And of course we're glad for that, but now we have to figure out the best way to aid his mental health, because giving him time and extra attention isn't doing it.

I'm sorry to learn Jack is having such a rough time as well.

• Love 1

@SuprSuprElevated I’m not sure where you live, but Laps of Love never stopped working during the pandemic in my area, and I live in South Florida—a COVID hotspot for most of last year. I am hoping they provide the same in your area so that your Pearl can say a proper goodbye to her housemate.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

@SuprSuprElevated I’m not sure where you live, but Laps of Love never stopped working during the pandemic in my area, and I live in South Florida—a COVID hotspot for most of last year. I am hoping they provide the same in your area so that your Pearl can say a proper goodbye to her housemate.

Thank you so much.  I'm not familiar with the organization, don't believe they're around here (Northern IN/Great Lakes region), but I'l check into it.

I wonder if anyone has experienced having to have a pet euthanized when they have young children in the house.  My sister is facing this right now and doesn't know whether it's better to tell the kids beforehand or not.  Their dog is older than they are so has always been part of their lives.  Today though it's become pretty clear that it's time to let him go (tons of medical issues that were manageable but now he's really suffering).  The vet can do it today but it would be before the children (5 and 8) get home from school.  Should they have a chance to say good bye or would it be kinder to tell them he's gone?  

1 hour ago, SusannahM said:

I wonder if anyone has experienced having to have a pet euthanized when they have young children in the house.  My sister is facing this right now and doesn't know whether it's better to tell the kids beforehand or not.  Their dog is older than they are so has always been part of their lives.  Today though it's become pretty clear that it's time to let him go (tons of medical issues that were manageable but now he's really suffering).  The vet can do it today but it would be before the children (5 and 8) get home from school.  Should they have a chance to say good bye or would it be kinder to tell them he's gone?  

I haven't experienced this before, but likely will as I have a 1 year old and my cats are both 11 and 9.  If they live long enough for him to be 3 or over when their time comes, I would definitely let him get the chance to say goodbye, if he can.

• Love 6

They are old enough to grasp what death means, and deserve the chance to say goodbye.  And the dog deserves his suffering to end ASAP.  In your sister's shoes, I'd keep the appointment, and sign the kids out of school for the afternoon so they can spend the dog's final hours with him.

I was seven or eight when our first cat died, and I'd have been devastated if I happily trotted in after school only to be told he was gone rather than being given the chance to tell him one last time how much I loved him.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, SusannahM said:

I'm a proponent of the children having the chance to be involved in the discussion, if not the procedure.  If they're in school, they should be old enough.  Otherwise, it does seem it would be cruel to just spring it on them.  You have to know your kids though, so a really individual situation I guess.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 5

At the very least, don't lie to children that the pet is alive and just has to spend some time at the vet, only to return with other similarly looking pet. That is a horrible breach of trust. I had that happen with my 2 fish when I was about 8 or so. I haven't heard about a situation like this with any other animal in real life, but I once read a book where parents did that with a rabbit. I get trying to shield your child from life's horrors, but this is not kind. 

• Love 6

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I had a great vacation and Cosmo was so happy to see me when I got back. His tiny tail was like a propeller of happiness. M (the dog sitter) said he was a good boy and they had lovely walks together. 

• Love 20
On 11/28/2021 at 6:39 PM, Bonnie R. said:

HARPER: It is getting harder and harder to hold onto my dignity.  Alli, how do you do it?

ALLI: Treats, Harper, TREATS!

HARPER: It is getting harder and harder to hold onto my dignity.  Alli, how do you do it?

ALLI:  Just wait until Christmas…..

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

My cats are weird. I just caught Fox in the litterbox pooping while Scully sits in front observing her. Fox is done, runs out and Scully goes in to bury the "treasure" and commences doing her business, burying her own. And yes, I have two litterboxes. Apparently, only this one is good enough for pooping.

No, I didn't take a picture. I'm not going to post pooping pictures of my cats.

PXL_20210909_161049891.jpg

• LOL 11
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, supposebly said:

My cats are weird. I just caught Fox in the litterbox pooping while Scully sits in front observing her. 

LOL, that happens with our cats, too. Mitsi will be using the box and Lily will just sit and stare at her. She doesn't sit right in front of the box, but she'll sit at the end of the hall and watch her. So bizarre. 

@Scarlett45, aw, your photo of Cosmo under the tree reminds us of the first cat we had - we used to have an artificial tree at one time that we set up every year, and our cat loved to lay underneath it. She'd get so excited when my mom would bring out the little cover to wrap around the bottom of the tree, and she'd just plant herself there and sleep there many a night :). Never bothered any of the ornaments or tinsel or anything like that, either. Just wanted to lay under the tree, was all. 

I love Blake's expression in his photo, like, 'Yeah, you'd better not forget about me." :p. 

• Love 5

@Annber03 all the cats I ever had like to sleep under the trees on the tree skirt. That tree skirt trim is slightly pink because of washing and the dye running. When Charlie & Mr Norris were alive too- the skirt would be pitch black with fur by the end of the season. 

• Love 2