Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Who could resist scratching this tummy?

I couldn't! 

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Are they related?  If they are, the music I am hearing must be Dueling Banjos.🎵🎵

No, sorry, they bonded at the shelter, so I adopted them together. 

• Love 9

I felt a little foolish just now because I loudly praised one of my cats for using the litter box.  I had been worried about her because I caught her a couple of times over the last day or so in the litter box in the 'poop position' (as opposed to the 'pee position') and accomplishing nothing.  I was hoping that it was because I had moved the box outside of the bathroom into the hallway (so I could give the bathroom a good cleaning) and hadn't moved it back yet because I hadn't finished cleaning the room and she was just stressed about it and not because of a health issue.  (Both my cats--sisters--are 16 years old and their mommy worries.) A few minutes ago I was walking toward that area and saw her in the box.  I quickly and quietly backed up and casually sat down on the couch in the den and looked away (I didn't want to spook her).  When she jumped out I went over to investigate.  I then had to tell her 'good girl!  That's a nice big poop for mommy!'  🙂 

• LOL 9
  • Love 3

I normally come in here after I've visited with my Ralphie, who (whom?) I consider my grand-nephew (what?).

But my leasing office just sent out an email that we can now have PETS starting September 1!
I am SO THRILLED! Most of you who know me, know it's depressed and saddened me that I couldn't have a fur baby of my own. Now I can!

So now I'm reaching out to all of you--can anyone recommend a good book for me to learn how to care for a doggie?

I'm definitely planning on getting one through a shelter/rescue.

I have a LOT of LOVE to give; I need and want to make sure to be a good Mommy.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Love 20
37 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I normally come in here after I've visited with my Ralphie, who (whom?) I consider my grand-nephew (what?).

But my leasing office just sent out an email that we can now have PETS starting September 1!
I am SO THRILLED! Most of you who know me, know it's depressed and saddened me that I couldn't have a fur baby of my own. Now I can!

So now I'm reaching out to all of you--can anyone recommend a good book for me to learn how to care for a doggie?

I’m very happy for you. Very very happy because from my experience pets definitely enrich our lives.
Since you will continue to work long-ish hours I’d suggest one that is well housebroken. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m very happy for you. Very very happy because from my experience pets definitely enrich our lives.
Since you will continue to work long-ish hours I’d suggest one that is well housebroken. 

Oh yes, definitely.

Plus, I'm going to be working from home until AT LEAST the end of the year. Not to get too off-topic, but our offices won't open until CDC deems it safe; and even then, not gonna until there's a vaccine and I get vaccinated. I take the subway/commute. While I hate working from home, home is where I'm sticking for the time being and my firm allows us that.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, ABay said:

Congratulations, @GHScorpiosRule, on your future role as pack leader! Obviously, the first thing you need to do is get the Alli Collection of Bandanas. Wait...is that a COLLAR @bosawks? My world is shaken.

Harper classifies bandanas as a chew toy so we have to collar it while he is teething.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I was so hoping you would ask what you should name the dog you will be adopting. 

My vote is for "Bob Barker".

Will they be showing up on Maury Povich so they can find out who is the father?

A lady never tells....

• LOL 3
On 8/21/2020 at 1:27 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Congratulations!!!!

I'm a cat person but I'll throw my opinion that an older doggie would be a good fit since they are probably more mellow and have a harder time finding furever homes. 

• Love 8
On 8/31/2020 at 10:58 PM, Gramto6 said:

pKlL1BPqQUaK1N9EeQ2MhA_thumb_2e3.thumb.jpg.42894634b7655c738c2b69ff1fb01a72.jpg

This is a feral kitty I have been feeding since February. The ironic thing is he used to torment my late Baby Boo constantly from outside and I used to chase him away. He sprayed the doors constantly making Boo respond by spraying from inside. He has to be 10-12 years old and is arthritic, poor thing can hardly walk.  Boo passed in Dec 2018 and I haven't had the heart to get another cat. This kitty that I call Meow Kitty as he is very vocal  has never let me touch him and to this day hisses at me when I am putting out food for him. But he makes me smile when I see him eating on the deck or taking in the sunshine. He lives under my deck. He disappears for 2 weeks at a time when the pest people come to spray or the lawn people come to mow. I only mowed once so far this summer because of that. I know it is odd, but this kitty is in my heart...

I know he's "just" a feral kitty, but if you want to try helping with his arthritis, you can try Cosequin (glucosamine and condroitin). It's under $20 for 80 pills, which will last a long time. You can open the tablets and mix in the contents with the food. Start with just a tiny, tiny bit at first (one time a day) and gradually increase. It's supposed to be fairly tasteless. It is widely heralded and I personally had success with it with my late cat. I saw her arthritis basically disappear until she was much older. She started having issues when she was maybe "middle aged". She lived to 17 and still did very well up until the very end walking, playing, going up steps to the bed and low jumping.

Unfortunately, glucosamine and condroitin don't do anything for my arthritic knees!

• Love 10
11 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I know he's "just" a feral kitty, but if you want to try helping with his arthritis, you can try Cosequin (glucosamine and condroitin). It's under $20 for 80 pills, which will last a long time. You can open the tablets and mix in the contents with the food. Start with just a tiny, tiny bit at first (one time a day) and gradually increase. It's supposed to be fairly tasteless. It is widely heralded and I personally had success with it with my late cat. I saw her arthritis basically disappear until she was much older. She started having issues when she was maybe "middle aged". She lived to 17 and still did very well up until the very end walking, playing, going up steps to the bed and low jumping.

Unfortunately, glucosamine and condroitin don't do anything for my arthritic knees!

Oh thank you! I'll try that. Poor guy moves both his back legs together, like a limp. If he'd let me touch him, I'd take him to the vet but that isn't going to happen.

• Love 1

Mabry Mill is just a stone's throw from where I live!  Jake looks right at home next to the millpond.  Beautiful day to be on the Parkway, too -- too bad I had to cut the damn grass, or I might have seen you there.  🙂

• Love 3

I have a fireplace mantle that the kittencat* likes to hop up on. He knows he's a naughty kitty when he does it but cats are gonna cat. I'd like to put some decor up there but since cats are gonna cat I know the kittencat is going to knock the stuff off. So, what I'm thinking of doing is making a little "fence" to protect the stuff. I just can't think how to make that work and still be safe for the kittencat?

*kittencat is 5. He's a smallish cat but he's not kitten sized.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

No, I am not drunk.  I don't drink.

I think I have a pet monarch butterfly.  That butterfly keeps following me around the yard, and I am not sure why.  It has tried to land on me multiple times.🦋

It has done that for the past several days.  I wonder why the butterfly is doing that?  Is it some sort of sign?

I would interpret it as a good sign. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Meet...Piper!

Someone looks thrilled to be going home.  Congratulations to both of you.

I love the name.  It's on my mental list of potential cat names, and I almost bestowed it on Riley, but the "life of Riley" thing was just so thoroughly appropriate I went that route instead.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Someone looks thrilled to be going home.  Congratulations to both of you.

I love the name.  It's on my mental list of potential cat names, and I almost bestowed it on Riley, but the "life of Riley" thing was just so thoroughly appropriate I went that route instead.

She's a very happy Pup! 9 months old. It was love at first sight for both of us. She took to me immediately, and her previous owners said she'd never done that before with strangers, during our first meet and greet. She's a lab mix.

She originally came from a shelter* but due to some childhood issues of the human dad that resurfaced because she developed behavior of resource guarding and nipped him (didn't break the skin), they tried to return her so the shelter could help; but they refused; also refused to help rehome her==their bright idea/solution was to euthanize her. And she was only 5 months at the time. So they reached out to another organization, who helps to rehome pets. I saw her bio on petfinder and she looked sooo adorbs. I thought I'd applied too late because another couple was supposed to go see and get her; but they never showed up. The boyfriend decided to surprise his girlfriend with a brand new puppy.

Anyhoo, I didn't want to say anything until I had her home--didn't want to jinx myself. I brought her home on Saturday.

She was a little scared to get into the car, but once in and harnessed with the seat belt, she was good.

Haven't observed or experienced any of her aggressive behavior, but I'm still signing up for obedience classes to help with that, and to help with her tendency to jump and pull on the leash. The latter has gotten better in the past day. I'm using the Freedom no pull harness and leash for that.

She's very sweet. And listens mostly; except when she wants to play. The weekend was EXHAUSTING, but surprisingly, she let me work yesterday. Today, she wants to play. I got her a bacon scented hard chew toy to keep her occupied, and that's working. She only barks when she hears the neighbors' doors opening and closing. But only one or two barks.

But I was beyond shocked her previous owners stopped giving her the heartworm and flea/tick meds back in June. Their theory was, well, MD isn't the SOUTH! where mosquitos are so MUCH more a problem! Seriously? 

Even if they are nice people, that's so irresponsible.

When I went to get puppy food on Sunday, I bumped into a very nice woman who recommended her vet to me, and the vet is very close by. She gave me her contact information as well.

My girl is SO in need of getting her claws trimmed! We have an appointment at Petco on Sunday for a full grooming! The Vet appointment is on Tuesday. 

I'm following the instructions the facilitator sent me to help assimilate Piper in her new home. We keep in touch, and she gives me tips on what to do. I'm a new mommy, so I'm grateful for that.

Her name is Piper because the back of her shoulders has the white "Piping" that reminded the previous owners of a Piper Plane. And she owns that name.

• Love 24

Yesterday was crazy: she barked at every sound and even sounds I could t hear! I was told she barks at doors opening and closing. It was a hard to concentrate on work.

But today? Calm and serene as on Saturday-Monday. Even the vacuum isn’t fazing her!

B184EC98-7401-49EE-A061-7207B7309019.jpeg

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 23
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yesterday was crazy: she barked at every sound and even sounds I could t hear! I was told she barks at doors opening and closing. It was a hard to concentrate on work.

But today? Calm and serene as on Saturday-Monday. Even the vacuum isn’t fazing her!

B184EC98-7401-49EE-A061-7207B7309019.jpeg

Oh that's just adorable. And its understandable that she's prone to barking so young. I'm sure she'll calm donlwn soon.

I really wish I had a pet to get me through this crapfest year. Other than going to the Cat Cafe in East Lansing to play with the kittens I haven't pet a single dog since this pandemic started. And its killing me. The only reason I got to pet cats at the cafe is because the organizers make people wear masks and sanitize their hands before doing so. But it's not safe to just pet any dog out walking like I used to be able to do.

• Love 3

What a sweet girl (and what a shitty shelter!). I don't know anything about dogs but I wouldn't be surprised if she 'tested' you a bit to see if you're going to love her unconditionally or return her as soon as she's not a perfect angel. Not saying that the prior owners were wrong to try to rehome her if one of them wasn't on board due to some childhood trauma, but she's had a bumpy start to life and may test her limits.

The Cat-Cat came from a shelter and he hates the carrier. Cries and cries and starts panting and freaking out. It's heartbreaking. As soon as we get to the vet he's even more extra lovey as if to say "please don't leave me". I swear if he would wear a harness and leash I'd harness him in to the back-seat during the drive and only put him in the carrier for the transition over into the office and treatment room. But he won't (I tried, he gets out of it).

• Love 9

My Louis the cat also came from a shelter and the two times I have had to get him into his carrier to go to the vet, its been an incredible struggle. It takes a grown man with giant garden gloves and me shoving from behind to get one medium sized orange tabby into a nice big carrier with comfy clean towels inside. He bites and growls and then cries like mad once inside and both times also immediately peed on the towels.

Since the fires started this year I have been thinking about emergency evacuation procedures and I have decided to just throw him in the car (forget the damn carrier - I'll bring it along of course - but its more important to make sure he is out of the house first (he is more important to me than anything else, even pictures and documents) and I don't want to have to chase him around and try to force him into the carrier.

Louis was found abandoned in a rural area in the winter and I bet his previous people put him in a carrier and then threw him out into the field when they did not want him anymore (he was already about 12 years old but an excellent mouser, so he survived until someone found him and brought him to the shelter). I'm not usually a violent person but if I ever met whomever abandoned him there would be fisticuffs!

• Love 11
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

What a sweet girl (and what a shitty shelter!). I don't know anything about dogs but I wouldn't be surprised if she 'tested' you a bit to see if you're going to love her unconditionally or return her as soon as she's not a perfect angel. Not saying that the prior owners were wrong to try to rehome her if one of them wasn't on board due to some childhood trauma, but she's had a bumpy start to life and may test her limits.

Oh yeah. I was tempted to reveal the shelter's name here, but I don't know if that's allowed?

She was testing me yesterday.

She was PLAYING me today! When she needs to go outside to do her business, she'll cry and lift her paw against me leg. She did that...FIVE TIMES today. Three of those times, all she wanted was to go outside and play. Yeah, I'm a sucker. And I just don't want any accidents! She's completely housebroken and knows to do her business outside!😂

• Love 6

All the cats we've had thus far we adopted from people who didn't want them anymore. We didn't know the people, though-my sister found out about them because they knew people that her husband knew, and mentioned them to us. Our first cat, when my mom and sister went to see her, the poor thing was left alone in the apartment with nothing but a fan and her bowls of food and water. And it was mid-July. The cat had a bad leg and my mom just kept thinking about what would happen if the fan tipped over and hurt her or something, and what would happen when she ran out of food and water. 

Then the cat came over and laid on my mom's purse, so my mom took that as another sign to bring her home :). We'd never owned a cat before that, so my mom was a little nervous at first about owning one, and said cat did take a little while to settle down and feel comfortable around us, but thankfully, all turned out okay in the end. She was an absolute sweetheart. 

And of our current cats, Lily actually hissed a bit at my mom and hid away at first when we brought her here. Now she's super attached to her :). Mitsi settled in a little more easily-I think she was just happy to have a place with a little more room to run around and play :p. 

• Love 7

Riley is scared of the fly swatter.  And I don't mean if I whack a fly with it while she's nearby, I mean if I pass through the room with it in my hand or if she hears me use it in another room.  I have no idea what trauma she experienced/saw involving a fly swatter somewhere in the six years before I adopted her, but it's a very specific reaction she does not have to anything else.

It didn't used to be that bad, but yesterday we were invaded by several flies and I got out the swatter for the first time in at least a year.  She ran into the other room, okay.  But then when I used it, two rooms away from her, she ran into the bedroom and hid under the bed.

Needless to say, I'll just use ye olde rolled up magazine on any future flies.

• Love 7