Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

The late, great Bilgisticat loved goat's milk yogurt. Goat milk is supposedly good for digestion in cats. His tummy troubles called for any help I could find. Trader Joe's sells a big container of goat's milk yogurt, so I'd make smoothies for me, and Bilgisticat got his yogurty goodness.

• Love 7

That image looks familiar :D. 

It's funny the places cats will decide to plop down and sleep. Like, "Yep, this arm/piece of cardboard/sheet of paper/etc. is a good spot. Right here's fine." 

• Love 8
On 4/24/2020 at 1:52 PM, JTMacc99 said:

I stood up to get coffee and lost my seat this morning. 

6014013A-A088-4302-8D73-1FA5ED1E0D77.jpeg

Hmmm, sounds familiar...China commandeered my seat when I got up to pee.  I was gone three minutes, tops.

E4809719-CFF1-4F23-92C4-069727ECC052.jpeg

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

We had a line of severe thunderstorms roll through Charlotte last night, with heavy rains, high winds, hail, and tornado warnings. GF, Jake, and I hunkered down in my laundry room from about 10 to 11pm last night, watching local coverage on my iPad. Jake took it in stride, just curling up with us and falling asleep. Fortunately, we didn't have any damage in our area.

image.png.e7bd773614a1ade3c8c5d9432a6e3548.png

• Love 22

@Moose135 We had that same storm come through our area around 3am. Wicked lightning and thunder. I awoke to see Big Boy eye to eye with me. Usually the first sound of noise (weather, lawn service, fireworks) and he dives under the bed. I could tell he was scared and ready to run for it. I took his paw in my hand and told him that it’s ok, we’d get through it together. Well I’m so proud of my guy. He stayed the course with me in the bed. That storm was a doozy. Had it not been in the middle of the night, like you in your laundry room, we’d probably have all been hunkered down in my closet (or tornado room as we call it..it has battery lightning, water, blankets, some non perishable snacks etc for emergencies). I guess now that hurricane season is a month away I need to turn on the local weather app on again in my phone. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Tense issues. Had not has.
  • Love 9

So here’s my temporary(and admittedly jerry-rigged)solution to the water-bowl issue, which I hope will work until I can get some heavier ceramic or stoneware bowls.   I’ve noticed that Shadow likes to paw at the water, which eventually makes the bowl go walking.

DEB3BCB5-4732-4FB1-B69B-D1393F998AC3.jpeg

Edited by smittykins
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I have thought about getting a fountain, but it’s in the “maybe someday” category right now because I’m on a fixed income.  When I got up this morning, I noticed the Rubbermaid container was sideways, but at least the mess was contained!

• Love 1

My cats have always liked it when I have a fountain. Unfortunately the best place to set it up is not protected from the dogs. And you guys have seen my dogs. They’ve messy. 

In related news, we got a new doormat!

A2E77A93-A47E-4847-96D0-DBD85A70649D.jpeg

• LOL 3
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

My cats have always liked it when I have a fountain. Unfortunately the best place to set it up is not protected from the dogs. And you guys have seen my dogs. They’ve messy. 

In related news, we got a new doormat!

A2E77A93-A47E-4847-96D0-DBD85A70649D.jpeg

She seems to say: Why is half my face on the floor?!

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, supposebly said:

She seems to say: Why is half my face on the floor?!

Your cat looks like my Squeaky. I have a weakness for black cats. I have a total of 4 not including the black with white stripe on it.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

Your cat looks like my Squeaky. I have a weakness for black cats. I have a total of 4 not including the black with white stripe on it.

You have a skunk?

• LOL 6
2 hours ago, Katy M said:
3 hours ago, Nicmar said:

LOL a tuxedo cat! i actually think skunks are cute

They're adorable.  But, still don't want one as a pet:)

I would love to have one as a pet.  But it's illegal in this state (and a lot of other states, I believe).  My cousin had one when I was a kid and he was so funny.  He never ever walked around anybody - he'd stamp his feet and grunt at you until you got the hell out of his way.

• Love 3

There's a really neat-looking skunk that visits my back yard.  It's almost entirely black, except for white "eyebrows", and white spots on its shoulders and hips.  There used to be a nearly all-white one that visited, but I haven't seen it in a while.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I would love to have one as a pet.  But it's illegal in this state (and a lot of other states, I believe).  My cousin had one when I was a kid and he was so funny.  He never ever walked around anybody - he'd stamp his feet and grunt at you until you got the hell out of his way.

I knew someone who had a friend who rescued a baby skunk and couldn't be released back in wild will they kept it had to take it to special vet that would remove its scent glads, it was girl and they named her Lucy and it acted like it was one the dogs 😄

• Love 7

Girl Cat wishes me to inform you that she is a fierce huntress who protects her human from evil invading mice like the godless killing machine she is.

Here's the story (settle in, it takes a while). Last year I fought Battle of the Pantry Moths. We have reached uneasy peace--they are mostly gone but I still see a few every week so I keep the moth traps out. One of the traps fell to the floor in the front hall and I never bothered to pick it up. They're very stick inside. Last night, the cat comes into the living room with one and I thought it was stuck to her mouth. It was stuck to the mouse she had in her mouth. I don't know it got stuck before she got it or she chased it in there. Either way, I tossed it out the front door and something ate the corpse overnight.

She killed a mouse in the house last May, too but it was at the end of the month. A couple other people have mentioned mouse invasions, too...it seems odd to me that they're getting in now instead of in the fall when they'd be looking for a warm place? I've put down a peppermint oil-soaked sock in a baggie between the storm and inner doors and hope that will put an end to it. I should've replaced the one I put down last year when it lost potency.

Girl Cat rarely wakes me up in the middle of the night but she did it twice this week, so I suspect the little vermin has been here most of the week. There are no obvious traces as far as I can tell. I want to bleach the entire house now.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ABay said:

Has anyone used ultrasonic or electronic devices to deter mice?  Do they work? Do they hurt cat ears?

I can’t tell you about cat ears, but it didn’t bother my dog (he was about 80 pounds)

I’ve tried 2 kinds of plug-in repellents:  one sent ultrasonic noise that only small pests could hear, it’s unpleasant for them supposedly.  Some of those worked, some not so much.  The one I have now, I got in January and in May see an actual mouse running in my living room 🙄

The other kind I tried, supposedly sends a pulse through the electrical wiring in your house (or something like that) that repels pests.  I bought one of these in 2008 and was very pleased by it.  Not only did I stop seeing mice, but millipedes and other critters as well.  The dog was also fine with it.  However it did stop working after a couple years, and I was not able to find another similar product until this morning (hope this one works as well)

I prefer repellants over traps/poison.  I don’t wanna kill anybody if there are other options that work.  At least the traps are quick but the poison results in a long painful death for them as they bleed internally 🙁  

12 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

The other kind I tried, supposedly sends a pulse through the electrical wiring in your house (or something like that) that repels pests.  I bought one of these in 2008 and was very pleased by it.  Not only did I stop seeing mice, but millipedes and other critters as well.  The dog was also fine with it.  However it did stop working after a couple years, and I was not able to find another similar product until this morning (hope this one works as well).

What's the name of that, if you don't mind saying? I don't want to kill, I just want them to stay outside. Peppermint oil seemed to have worked last year since I didn't see another mouse until Friday, long after the oil sock was gone. But I don't really feel secure relying on it.

29 minutes ago, ABay said:

What's the name of that, if you don't mind saying? I don't want to kill, I just want them to stay outside. Peppermint oil seemed to have worked last year since I didn't see another mouse until Friday, long after the oil sock was gone. But I don't really feel secure relying on it.

Pest-A-Cator Plus 2000 Electronic Rodent Repeller - I found it at Home Depot- the reviews are so-so but it’s worked for me in the past.  Get 2 if your house is bigger that 2000 square feet.

Peppermint oil has also worked for me, my issue is that I’d keep forgetting to replenish it, until the next time I find evidence of another mouse.  I would put cotton balls in little plastic containers around, and when I’d remember to I would just add a few drops of oil to keep them fresh.  

I did kill one Friday night in a trap.  It’s a small relief to have it out of the way (haven’t seen another since) but I still feel terrible 🙁

• Love 1
19 hours ago, ABay said:

Has anyone used ultrasonic or electronic devices to deter mice?  Do they work? Do they hurt cat ears?

I don’t have a cat but they didn’t hurt my dogs ears nor what I could tell deter the mice. 

The only thing that worked for me was finding any crevice those rascals could get in and sealing it.   The only upside is they leave trials so you know where the danger zones are. 

I was just making something that involved using Pam to spray and not sure why but remembered how much my cat Hampton hated anything aerosol. I had her since she was a kitten and she only had love so no PTSD but she would gag and almost cough each time anything of aerosol was used!  Like shed be 10 feet away gagging!  Man I loved that cat so much and sadly haven’t thought of her in a while and really miss her. She was insane yet awesome. 

• Love 4

So this is what I ended up getting for Miss Totally Not Spoiled.  I’m hoping the fact that they’re heavy ceramic and in a wire holder will make it harder, if not impossible, for her to flip.
(She also decided she’s over Sheba Perfect Portions pate and requested Cuts in Gravy.  Did I mention she’s not spoiled?) 😛

• Love 7

My newish neighbor is unhappy with the pigeons that hang out by my feeders and shit on everything. If only I had a trained hawk...

Any tips on getting rid of the big freeloaders?

I also need to move one of the feeder poles because the non-pigeon birds are shitting on the fence. That's not really my problem--the pole was there before he put up the fence--but I wanted to move the pole anyway. The problem is I can't figure out where to put it so that squirrels won't be able to jump on it. The options are really limited. I suppose it's the time of year when I could cut back on the number of feeders.

The problem with that is that the birds I like all go to different feeders. The big woodpecker likes the hanging mesh feeder that holds nuts and fruit. The cardinals like the open seed feeder and can't get into the caged seed feeder. The cat birds and orioles only go to the orange and jelly feeder which is in the only place I could put one of the larger cage feeders. The goldfinches go to the nyjer tube that is over on its own in a small tree. The squirrels don't both that one.

Sorry...I'm trying to work it out by writing it out. Mainly, it's the pigeons causing the problem right now.

I'm stupidly excited for my cats when they see their view from their window seat in my boyfriend's (and my future) bedroom. It's in an apartment complex, but overlooks a spacious backyard that backs up to some woods. A neighbor feeds a gaggle (cloister?) of stray cats, so the girls are going to make some long-distance friends through the window. I'm so pleased for them that they will no longer have to look at a parking lot, as if that has really bothered them for the last 2.5 years.

The cat tree will have to go at the front of the apartment at the front window that faces the entry walkway/breezeway, but then people can walk by and admire their beauty.

• Love 13