Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

I feel compelled to foster an animal right now given my at home status. My only caveat- Knox the Dog. 

She’s 9 now and foster would come from shelter she did. Here’s my concerns:

1) she’s always been number one and gets to do whatever she wants (she’s an amazing dog so this is really involves being loving and amazing)

2) She barks and tells off the new moved in next door dog and especially doesn’t like it if I show it love. This is getting better but exists. 

Do you think I should give it a go or let the old girl live her life alone?  She’s a strange dog. Nothing bad has ever happened to her but she gets fearful. Example I’ve tried to take her camping and she’s scared and spent entire time in dog bed  in vehicle (fully ventilated and I wound up sleeping next to her- not comfy fo me). She’s a 50 lb (Adorable) mutt so that is strange. 

Bur damn I could give a dog a great escape right now.  I love dogs so much and being home like this could let it have constant happiness. Anyone else like this or what do you think?

• Love 1
11 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

I feel compelled to foster an animal right now given my at home status. My only caveat- Knox the Dog. 

She’s 9 now and foster would come from shelter she did. Here’s my concerns:

1) she’s always been number one and gets to do whatever she wants (she’s an amazing dog so this is really involves being loving and amazing)

2) She barks and tells off the new moved in next door dog and especially doesn’t like it if I show it love. This is getting better but exists. 

Do you think I should give it a go or let the old girl live her life alone?  She’s a strange dog. Nothing bad has ever happened to her but she gets fearful. Example I’ve tried to take her camping and she’s scared and spent entire time in dog bed  in vehicle (fully ventilated and I wound up sleeping next to her- not comfy fo me). She’s a 50 lb (Adorable) mutt so that is strange. 

Bur damn I could give a dog a great escape right now.  I love dogs so much and being home like this could let it have constant happiness. Anyone else like this or what do you think?

Follow up I called and they are overwhelmed with people like me! And said to go online to check out when I could come.  The closest is Tuesday so there are a ton of wonderful people in this world 🙂

• Love 6

I'm laughing at all the jokes about cats annoyed their humans are home and ruining their routine, but all the cats I actually know are the opposite -- maybe we all have weird cats, but my, my parents', and my friends' cats are all digging the extra attention.

When I called my parents last week to get their Netflix password (I finally set it up so I can watch at home instead of only watching when I'm kittysitting at their house), no one answered, which meant my dad was on the other line (he never uses call waiting), so I called my mom's cell phone (because, clearly, this was an urgent matter 🙂 ).  Bandit - who is a quite vocal cat and has no inside voice - was hollering in the background more strenuously than he normally does even for food.  He sounded like a cat should never sound unless trying to notify her/his sleeping owners the house is on fire.  When I asked her what his problem was, she said it was that she'd had to get up to find the cell phone, and he wanted her to return her lap to the chair post haste.

• LOL 18
  • Love 2

LOL Lily's like that, too. When she gets settled in on my mom's lap, if my mom has to get up for some reason, she sometimes has to literally push her off her lap, 'cause she won't move otherwise. And when she does get up, Lily will make a sharp little, "Mrow!", like she's all annoyed about being moved. 

(In fact, she's just jumped up on my mom's lap just now...right when my mom was in the midst of sorting through a pile of papers :p. Apparently it's snuggle time instead.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 3/28/2020 at 5:13 PM, Moose135 said:

In case anyone needs a nose to boop...

JM_2020_03_27_Jake_the_Aussie_001-XL.jpg

Aww, beautiful puppy! Makes me miss my dogs.  😞

This was my Dakota, who went to Rainbow Bridge last May:

1073870127_2018-06-2821_07_57.thumb.jpg.6f5f409124ac2f193b0d6fde471ee7dd.jpg

And these were my other dogs, Mackenzie and Casey, who died in 2014 (Mackenzie) and 2012 (Casey). For her size, Casey - a Newfoundland, though she did not look like it here, being shorn a bit!) was laid back and a lady, as you can see as she used to let Kenzie use her like an ottoman!

1050937220_CaseyandMackenzieStairOttomanRotatedSmall.jpg.f97a2d272e2979d917a0588a6d0e5514.jpg

Finally, Ben, who we lost about two years ago:

Ben3.jpg.ec3c32bb6e40229f614115bce5d9170b.jpg

Also, like Kenzie and Dakota (though Dakota was a mix), we also had another Scottie named MacDuff in the '90s 'til 2004 and Clancy, who strangely enough, looked almost exactly like Ben. Clancy was Duff's buddy until he died of a heart murmur. At one point, we had three dogs at one time: Duff, Clancy, and Casey. After Clancy and Duff died, that is how we got Kenzie. Sadly, I have no digitized pictures of Duff and Clancy. May have to change that!

I miss all of them, especially at a time like this.

• Love 16

P1010055.JPG.8ff53af68df57c8ae39715beb3652767.JPG

Here is one last picture of (an ungroomed at the time - getting the appointments was hell!) Mackenzie and Casey looking much more like her Newfie self. Love how Casey even seems to be smiling here. Good girls, both. ♥

• Love 14

@KnoxForPres, I want a 2nd dog soooo much, but like you, my dog (one year younger than yours) is the queen around here.  She grew up with my sister's dog (he's now 14) & always got along with him, but last time I petted him, she kept shoving her head under my hand as if to say "No, pay attention to meeeeee!!!!"   I can't imagine how pissed she'd be if I started paying attention to another dog who actually lived here.  So as much as I'd like doggie #2, it's a no-go.

• Love 3

The new Kitties Gunderson have settled into the family nicely. It's been three weeks and they pretty much rule the roost. Their personalities are really starting to come through. Sophie (15 months) is very playful, zooms around the house at all hours of the day, and loves to have her tummy scratched (she may be part dog). She is also very patient with little sister Parker (13 months). Parker is a complete love bug, especially when it comes to Sophie. She's always watching what Sophie does and following her around. She also wants to cuddle and groom Sophie pretty much all the time. They also have unexpected voices - they can and do meow, but most of the time they trill and chirp, like Siamese or Maine C**** (they are neither). 

Here's a typical pose:

IMG_2925_Cropped_4.jpg

• Love 23
4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Parker is a complete love bug, especially when it comes to Sophie. She's always watching what Sophie does and following her around. She also wants to cuddle and groom Sophie pretty much all the time.

D'awwwwww <3. 

Adorable picture, too :). Glad they're getting settled in okay and getting on well. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I will! The hugging makes me melt every time - and they hug a lot!

My girls do it, too. It's the sweetest thing. Seeing animals care for each other is such a treasure.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, ByTor said:

@KnoxForPres, I want a 2nd dog soooo much, but like you, my dog (one year younger than yours) is the queen around here.  She grew up with my sister's dog (he's now 14) & always got along with him, but last time I petted him, she kept shoving her head under my hand as if to say "No, pay attention to meeeeee!!!!"   I can't imagine how pissed she'd be if I started paying attention to another dog who actually lived here.  So as much as I'd like doggie #2, it's a no-go.

Yes, agree. It was the fostering with all this home time calling my name for sure.  

In an even better update the shelter has publicly announced ALL adopt/foster able dogs and cats have been taken in and asked all others to be patient   Such great news in a time where it’s so bleak!

@MargeGunderson if that duo lived with me I’d probably never get work done because I’d draft an email and say okay- now that’s their most adorable yet and stare and watch , pull up an application and go-oh no, that is illegal to be that cute. And so on and so forth. I’d stare in awe and wonder all day!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Seeing animals care for each other is such a treasure.

Shana never had much if any motherly care about her.  I don't know if it was because she had to have an emergency c-section and didn't actually give birth thus also not eating the placentas or because she could be bitchy when the mood struck, but, her caring for her babies once they were weaned* generally consisted of either a glare, a no contact paw swipe or a halfhearted muted hiss followed by a sigh, an eye roll, and just enough grooming to say she'd done it.  😁

*Shmuel was several months old and still trying to nurse.  The vet said Shana would take care of it when she was ready.  Sure enough one day he tried and she put her claws in the back of his head and bit his ear.  Not hard enough to hurt him or even break the skin, but, it did get his attention and that was the end of it.  One of his middle names was Oedipus for a reason!

• Love 4

Girl Cat had a vet appointment this morning. I wondered how they'd deal with the physical distancing when their exam rooms are quite small.

Here's how: I called when we arrived, one of the techs came out to get the cat and my credit card, I waited in my car, and the vet called me when the exam was done and went over everything, then cat and card were returned to my car.

I was worried about not being with her but apparently she was more relaxed without me.

Rotten beast.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2

We’ve been picking up cat food and meds from our vet, and they are handling things the same way. Yesterday we watched them take in a beautiful Irish Setter while the owner stayed in the car. 

When things start getting back to normal, I plan to send something to the office as a thank you. They are terrific in regular times, but they are just outstanding now. My vet called me on Sunday because she was in the office deep cleaning and saw that I called about a different medication for Sophie (Sophie seems to have a very delicate digestive system, and we are trying to figure out if it’s bacterial, viral or a food allergy.) On a Sunday! 

• Love 5

I use a small independant (woman owned) business for my pet-sitting and this is hitting them pretty hard so they ventured out to make pet toys & dog treats. My kitties will get to beta-test their kitty toys this weekend!

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am a bit distracted by that oddly shaped pillow on the left.  The pattern looks like something I would have seen on The Brady Bunch.  I think it is cute.

How did the cat get into the basket?  That is a long way up.  A very pretty cat.  Back in the day, I used to have two sibling black cats.

1. It’s one of those pillows for sitting up in bed. I used to have a machine to reduce swelling in my legs(I have mild lymphedema)and used the pillow to support my back so I could read.

2. I assume she climbs up with the aid of the clothes. When I posted the photo to Facebook, my mom ask the same question, and I replied “Um, she’s a cat.” 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

When I first got Maddie, she was terribly sick and just wanted to hide all day (and then get in bed with Baxter and me at night), and her chosen place was the shelf of my bedroom closet.  When she started feeling better, I'd find her sitting on the hangers instead!  (She had been sick for so long, she was down to 4-1/2 pounds, so she could sit on and walk across the hangers without moving them enough to knock her off balance.)  I, too, figured she jumped and pulled herself the rest of the way, rather than being able to jump that high, but I never managed to see it.

We had those pillows for sitting up in bed when I was a kid, and when not in use they were on the bedroom floor - and the cats would curl up so they were "hugged" by the back and an arm.

• Love 2

I've been quietly enjoying all your pet pictures and stories in these difficult times and I thought I should share mine as well. These two are Fox (with the white spot) and Scully with the ear tip frozen off. I adopted them together a year ago. They bonded at the shelter where I volunteer and I fell in love instantly. I can't imagine my life without them anymore, especially right now. Between the chases, the wrestling, Fox being very adept at imitating a soccer goal keeper and Scully treating me like a tree, I couldn't imagine my life without them anymore. I took very long until I decided to do this and I haven't regretted it once.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200317082932105.jpg

• Love 23
9 minutes ago, supposebly said:

These two are Fox (with the white spot) and Scully with the ear tip frozen off.

Aw - my "niece and nephew" (two of my friend's cats; I am "Auntie Bastet to quite a few cats) are black litter mates named Scully and Spooky, and Spooky has a (very) little bit of white in the same spot as Fox.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

I've been quietly enjoying all your pet pictures and stories in these difficult times and I thought I should share mine as well. These two are Fox (with the white spot) and Scully with the ear tip frozen off. I adopted them together a year ago. They bonded at the shelter where I volunteer and I fell in love instantly. I can't imagine my life without them anymore, especially right now. Between the chases, the wrestling, Fox being very adept at imitating a soccer goal keeper and Scully treating me like a tree, I couldn't imagine my life without them anymore. I took very long until I decided to do this and I haven't regretted it once.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200317082932105.jpg

Our cats are doppelgangers!

IMG_20200114_145956-1008x756.thumb.jpg.66f5fa69b120cf93c6dad39ec6898fb2.jpg

• Love 16

OK, I need some advice.  Shadow has one of those supposed “no-tip” water bowls(stainless steel with a rubber gasket at the bottom), and around 3:30 am, she managed to flip it over entirely.(Needless to say, she’s in the doghouse right now.)Any suggestions?

@ABay, this is similar to what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DOP5L4M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_hRJJEb1RNVW7P

@MargeGunderson, the silicone/metal combos look promising, but if it’s too “floppy,” I have an issue picking it up(since I have a balance issue and use a wheeled walker)without making a mess myself if it’s still got food/water in it.  Plus, I’m afraid that Shadow might still be able to hook her paw between the dish and the base,which is what she did when I tried a Neater Feeder.

Thanks for your suggestions, I’ll definitely keep them in mind!

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Plus, I’m afraid that Shadow might still be able to hook her paw between the dish and the base,which is what she did when I tried a Neater Feeder.

She's very determined!  Maybe you can get her a job as a product tester; let her earn her keep 🙂 .  Then if there's actually a bowl she can't tip over, the manufacturer can put the two of you in a commercial, starting with black and white footage of you putting down bowl after bowl, her knocking them over, and you wiping up water, then switching to color as you put the winning bowl down and all her efforts are fruitless as you stand there smugly enjoying your own drink.  "Shadow tested, Smittykins approved."

• LOL 4
  • Love 4