Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I didn’t get a lot of sleep last night. I forgot how active young cats are at night! Parker crawled right into bed and at various times was curled up next to me under the covers, curled up around my shoulder/neck with her face on my face, or waking me up to pet her. Sophie was jumping on and off the bed most of the night and so far only sleeps in short bursts. I think she’s still keyed up from all al of the changes, and will probably calm down a bit. Both purr loudly, snore, and love to make biscuits. Parker also loves to groom Sophie, who doesn’t seem to mind. Right now both are in the same cat bed (even though there are 4 cat beds) and Parker is all over Sophie. 

1ADBA583-289A-4104-AA4A-B6E5F181C18B.jpeg

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 22
3 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I didn’t get a lot of sleep last night. I forgot how active young cats are at night! Parker crawled right into bed and at various times was curled up next to me under the covers, curled up around my shoulder/neck with her face on my face, or waking me up to pet her. Sophie was jumping on and off the bed most of the night and so far only sleeps in short bursts. I think she’s still keyed up from all al of the changes, and will probably calm down a bit. Both purr loudly, snore, and love to make biscuits. Parker also loves to groom Sophie, who doesn’t seem to mind. Right now both are in the same cat bed (even though there are 4 cat beds) and Parker is all over Sophie. 

My heart! Congratulations to you all for finding each other!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I didn’t get a lot of sleep last night.

I barely slept Riley's first night.  We got in bed around midnight, and she spent the next five hours talking to me, rolling around on my chest, and rubbing my face.  Then she finally wore out, and went to sleep under the office couch (that was her safe space when I got her [and where she still hides when I vacuum], and it took her a couple of weeks to feel comfortable sleeping "above ground", and then probably another week before she didn't keep at least one eye open).  So I think I dozed off some during those five hours, but didn't really get to sleep until 5:00 a.m.  It's exhausting having a new baby in the house.

I love how much your two girls love each other already!  Did you name them, or had the shelter already given them those names?  I like both of them.

• Love 4

That is such a wonderful photo @MargeGunderson!  You have a gift!

When I had  cats they were always a single I got as a stray or from a shelter so don’t know a lot about duos but I’m kind of blown away at their immediate companionship!  What a joy for us to get to see it, too!  Really happy for all of you. 

• Love 3

@Bastet, we named them after characters in one of the best TV shows of all time, Leverage. Both were strays with no real connection to their shelter names, so we didn’t hesitate to rename them. Sophie is 14 months and Parker is 12 months. 

We are so lucky that they get along right from the start. I was prepared to keep them separate and introduce them slowly this week, but no need for that. Sophie is a total hedonist, and Parker is so mellow we’ve been referring to her as The Dude (from the Big Lebowski).

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

@Bastet, we named them after characters in one of the best TV shows of all time, Leverage.

I've never seen the show, but I like both names.

Unfortunately, most of my favorite characters have had names I don't like as cat names (e.g. two of my favorites were Lauras - Laura Holt, Remington Steele, and Laura Roslin, Battlestar Galactica - but I just don't ever look at a cat and think "Laura"), but I've named cats after two of the exceptions:  Maddie was named after Maddie Hayes (Moonlighting).  The character's full name was spelled Madolyn, but I didn't like that spelling, so Maddie was Madeleine.  Louise was named for Louise Sawyer (Thelma & Louise).  In fact, she got the character's middle name, Elizabeth, too. 

If it ever seems a match for a future cat, I may name one Murphy (Murphy Brown).  And maybe a Cagney (as in Cagney & Lacey; I don't like Christine, Mary Beth, or Lacey as cat names, but I kind of dig Cagney).  I don't like Sharon as a cat name, but maybe I could name a cat Raydor in honor of Sharon Raydor (The Closer/Major Crimes) - everyone who heard it would think Raider, but I'd know.

My mom just sent me this picture; my dad set his flannel shirt on a chair while he did something in the living room, and it still hasn't made it to the bedroom, because this happened:

The boys with Grandpa's shirt.JPG

• Love 17
7 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

SO SWEET!!

Also...what is this "sleep" of which you speak? I haven't slept properly in the 3 years we have had Chelsea. Granted...it is not entirely her fault. We were just getting her to the point where she would wait until 6:00 before waking us. Then, Hubby got a job that he has to be out of bed at 3:00 am three days a week. This is her natural wake up time, so...  😞 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

12DC1105-2B47-46A9-B36B-22C40F33AC7C.thumb.jpeg.e2f68c7e708638497d3ab311d2bdfc29.jpeg

My cat and I had a discussion today about this self quarantine that I have placed myself on. Due to previous health issues I’m high risk should I contract it. You would think that they would be happy to have more playtime, treats and interaction, but no....

Edited by Mindthinkr
Commas are important.
  • Love 7

I just had a similar conversation with Riley - also an indoor-only cat - but about two solid days of rain; she's running around with a wicked case of cabin fever, like if it was dry outside she'd be out there. 

• Love 5

We've had 24 hours of rain and we're scheduled for at least 8 more days of it. My dog Boo is already going stir crazy and getting herself in trouble. If my company starts remote work next week we'll probably both be nuts in a short amount of time. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Golden's pretty much have the market cornered on the "Engaged but confused" look. 

I gave Norman the old, "I'm coming to get you!" "No I'm not." "I'm coming to get you!!!!" "No I'm not." game this morning, and he reacted exactly as one would expect.

He was face down on the couch, giving me the "If I just stay here like this, he might not make me go in the crate." So I started walking slowly towards him hands stretched out like I was a zombie.  His tail wagged a little. I stopped, and backed up hands at my side. Wagging stopped. I did it again, getting a little closer. More wagging. I stopped and backed up again. Wagging stopped. I started again but did three very quick steps before stopping and backing up. VIGOROUS wagging, and then he couldn't take it anymore and jumped off the couch and ran to me.  Heh. Silly dog. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
53 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Day 2 of kids home from school and I got this photo from my daughter hanging with the puppy:

B10FB0DD-873D-4161-B87E-4573AEA18E17.jpeg

Now that is a happy dog if ever I've seen one :D. One upside to being stuck inside-more time with our pets. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Animal shelters are being overwhelmed with abandoned pets, and we're moving into kitten season. Please donate to your local place if you can. Mine has set up a wish list on Amazon and also takes donations with Paypal. Also, IHeartCats is doubling food donations if you buy from their shop.

• Love 5

Heh. Luna is actually perfectly okay with this. The girl child sleeps half the day, providing a warm bed. And with the adult hanging around the kitchen area, demands for additional cat snacks will be made. 

1BEE7F1B-A309-46C3-9749-DBA28E8E4A1D.jpeg

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

I work from home, and my parents are retired, so in both households the cats are used to having someone home more often than not.  Now having someone home almost 24/7 has all three of them in nirvana - they are definitely not dismayed by the change in their routine, because their routine is to demand someone provide a lap immediately should they wake up and realize they are sleeping somewhere other than on a human.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

My mom's workplace has been talking about having people work from home for the time being, so if that does happen starting next week, I know one of our cats is going to be VERY happy about that. Lily is very attached to my mom and always looks all sad and meows at her when she's getting ready to leave in the morning, and she's right by the door waiting for her when she comes home.

So to have her home all day, every day? She'll definitely like that ;D. Course, that might make it harder for my mom to actually get any work done, 'cause Lily will keep wanting to snuggle with her and sit in her lap and everything :p. 

• Love 3

I've worked from home for about 10 or 11 years now.  One day I waiting on a conference call to start and Shlomo sneezed 3 times in a quick row.  So, I say to him in the voice you only use with your cats "oh my goodness!  Did something get up your nose?  You got a sneezy don't you.   Yes, you do, you got a sneezy" and just carrying on because he loved that kind of interaction.

Suddenly one of my coworkers said "(Tift), you know we can hear you right?".  In my babbling I had missed the beep that indicated the host came on and started the call.

Everyone else just started laughing and one said, "I had no idea that was you!"

Not a side of me people at work are normally exposed to!  They were used to me being stern and businesslike, not the complete mush I was when it came to my cats.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2

Parker and Sophie have both me and Mr Gunderson home all day, and they are in kitty heaven. They are not going to like it when we have to go back to work. Several of my coworkers have met Parker, who loves to jump on the desk when I’m on calls and offer her suggestions. 

• Love 5

I'm not convinced Girl Cat is thrilled to have me home all the time. She has pooped* over the side of the box 2 nights in a row.

*Haaaate that word but defecated is too pompous and shat is too vulgar.

• LOL 8
3 minutes ago, ABay said:

I'm not convinced Girl Cat is thrilled to have me home all the time. She has pooped* over the side of the box 2 nights in a row.

*Haaaate that word but defecated is too pompous and shat is too vulgar.

Dropped a deuce?

• LOL 6

Quite possibly, eat it.  I've seen a variety of birds eat the blooms of redbud trees and also red hot poker flowers.  It is also possible that there are tiny insects deep in the blossom and the junco can only get to them by denuding the flower.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, bosawks said:

Ever feel like you’re being watched.....

4B3BC0FA-62A1-4647-98F9-2C3E34A77B84.jpeg

YES!!  One of my many favorite things about living with a dog.  They are so intent on us.  They hang on every word we say, like we are the smartest people in the world.  Love love love my Cowboy Cody.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, AnnaCody said:

They hang on every word we say, like we are the smartest people in the world.  .

I feel like my cat Nadji hangs on every word I say like I was the most loveable, but dumbest, person in the world.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Moose135 said:

It's Jake's Bark Day! He's two years old today! We'll have cake and presents this afternoon.

JM_2020_01_01_Jake_the_Aussie_001-L.jpg

Ah, 🎼 Happy Birthday Jake 🎶!!  May you have many many more.  Ask Mom/Dad to post some pictures of your party!!

15 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I feel like my cat Nadji hangs on every word I say like I was the most loveable, but dumbest, person in the world.

Hahaha, well, cats do like to be supreme!! 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Moose135 said:

We had a party for Jake this afternoon - we got a cake for him, and a couple of new toys.

JM_2020_03_22_Jake_the_Aussie_015-X2.jpg

JM_2020_03_22_Jake_the_Aussie_013-X2.jpg

JM_2020_03_22_Jake_the_Aussie_009-X2.jpg

JM_2020_03_22_Jake_the_Aussie_012-X2.jpg

JM_2020_03_22_Jake_the_Aussie_006-X2.jpg

OH Jake, you are one blessed puppy.  Thanks so much for posting these pictures!!  You are a clever dog 🤣  Handsome AND smart!! 

• Love 2

A year ago today, this big lovable mush came into our lives and stole our hearts. He really needed a new home, and just a month after losing Denali, we needed him too. Happy Gotcha Day, Jake!

JM_2019_03_25_Jake_the_Aussie_003-XL.jpg

JM_2019_03_30_Jake_the_Aussie_001-XL.jpg

JM_2019_06_26_Jake_the_Aussie_001-XL.jpg

JM_2016_10_16_Jake_the_Aussie_005-XL.jpg

JM_2020_03_22_Jake_the_Aussie_019-XL.jpg

• Love 23