Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

If you ever need a PSA  on keeping your pet's microchip information current:  4 years ago, a man had his dog stolen from him during a break-in at his apartment. This week, I picked up the dog off the street and reunited the two of them because the information was current. He never gave up on her after all this time! She was in rough shape but he is slowly nursing her back to health. Miracles can happen!

The poor baby! So glad she's back with her hooman!

That reminds me, I need to update to my new address.

It took me until I moved out of state to update the cat-cat's info. I thought it was updated to my place in CA when I adopted him but it turns out it was still tied to the asshats who abandoned him! The process to update was a little stressful since the company that manages the chips said the asshats would have to approve the swap. Well I told the chip company I had moved out of state so if they somehow wanted him back I'd disappear, with him. I called the shelter and got the proof of adoption as well as the paper trail of efforts they made to contact the asshats. Chip updated and hopefully will never have to be used.

• Love 7
On 2/1/2020 at 5:12 PM, ABay said:

When Girl Cat yawns big I usually exclaim "The Gaping Maw!"

Ha!  My dog Knox lets out the cutest squeak. “What an audible yawn!” I exclaim!

Great story @AgentRXS!  I can’t imagine for that owner how awesome getting that notification was.  Thankful for heroes like you. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

What a cute dog, but I do have to wonder what the dog is thinking about all of this  ♥️ stuff.

Alli is thinking in her best Lin Manuel, “Love is love is love”.

Or, “Is this bandana edible?”

One of the two.... 

Edited by bosawks
  • LOL 11
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, WhereThereIsLife said:

Alli is thinking “Ooh, a new bandana means another photo op.  Yesss!”

My aunt and uncle used to have a couple dogs that they loved to dress up at Christmastime. One loved all the attention she got, she'd prance around the house in her little outfit all, "Look at me, aren't I cute?", while the other was always sitting off to the side all grumpy, like, "Why am I wearing this stupid outfit?" 

• LOL 5

EeeWWWW gross gross gross ! Maggots! One of the cans of cat food broke in transit and there were maggots everywhere. I managed to salvage 3 of the 24 cans in the flat and threw the rest out, then cleaned the kitchen as best I can--my leg is still so painful I can hardly walk so scrubbing the floor is out of the question but I think I got all of the little bastards.

With the amount I order from Chewy and the condition the boxes often arrive in, it's surprising something like this hasn't happened before.

• Love 1

Mr Gunderson and I went cat auditioning today! We found a young pair of bonded sisters at a rescue organization and met them at a “meow mixer” at a local pet store. One hopped right out of the cage to be petted and she rubbed herself all over our hands and feet. She even flopped over to have her tummy scratched. The other kitty didn’t come out of the cage but let us pet her and wanted us to scratch her chin. Both of them were very interested in the feather toy. We have to wait for our application to be approved, and if all goes well we can adopt and bring them home on Wednesday. 

• Love 21

Great news, @MargeGunderson!

I'm taking a break from painting window trim to report that it is the same with painting as it has been with all other projects around the house thus far:  While Maddie and Baxter were both assistants, Riley is a supervisor.  So instead of having to watch her to make sure there are no paws put on wet paint, I am watched by her, while she plays with her toys or sits half asleep on her scratcher.

Maddie was really involved with anything I was working on, which once meant sitting on my stomach while I replaced the garbage disposal.  Baxter usually "helped" for a while and then took a nap on top of a screwdriver or wrench.  Mind you, this was the same cat who spent five minutes arranging pillows to get comfortable.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 2/16/2020 at 5:30 PM, ABay said:

EeeWWWW gross gross gross ! Maggots! One of the cans of cat food broke in transit and there were maggots everywhere. I managed to salvage 3 of the 24 cans in the flat and threw the rest out, then cleaned the kitchen as best I can--my leg is still so painful I can hardly walk so scrubbing the floor is out of the question but I think I got all of the little bastards.

With the amount I order from Chewy and the condition the boxes often arrive in, it's surprising something like this hasn't happened before.

I am beginning to have the same issues with Chewy. None as bad as what you described, but more often than not the cans are badly dented and I am concerned about whether or not that they are ok to feed the cats. Mind, these cans are in cases and usually have a top cardboard cover. One case so was bad that I wondered if they repackaged the dented cans to sell. I may have to begin to go back to the pet supply store. 

Pet adoption is much more competitive than it was when I last brought home cats. It looks like we are not getting the 2 that we visited on Saturday; another application was approved before ours. A few others we have inquired about are already in line for adoption as well. It's great that they are all getting good homes but I wish it was easier for us to find our pair! I think we are going to choose a few places to put in applications and then just wait to see. Kitten season starts soon and we will get little ones if we can't adopt an older bonded pair.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 8
On 2/26/2020 at 12:50 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Pet adoption is much more competitive than it was when I last brought home cats. It looks like we are not getting the 2 that we visited on Saturday; another application was approved before ours. A few others we have inquired about are already in line for adoption as well. It's great that they are all getting good homes but I wish it was easier for us to find our pair! I think we are going to choose a few places to put in applications and then just wait to see. Kitten season starts soon and we will get little ones if we can't adopt an older bonded pair.

I found my girls (mother and daughter) on Petfinder.com. It has listings for the animal control and foster organizations in my area. I think I was able to search for a bonded pair. Also, you might consider adopting black cats, which are less likely to be adopted because people are superstitious. My girls, both black, had been in their foster home for a year. They are the best and the love they have for each other leaves me awestruck.

Edited by bilgistic
Superstitious, not suspicious.
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

My pets run the house, I sit somewhere else.   It is kind of strange, I adopt to kittens (now cats) and now they run the house.   I do everything on their terms.  I am not sure that is how it is supposed to work.

Yes. Yes it is.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Do you reclaim your seat by moving the pet out of the way or do you sit somewhere else?

Heh. I absolutely reclaim my seat. 

Luna (cat) will need to be physically moved. Neo just needs to be told MOVE. Norman may or may not respond to the verbal command, but I can just toss a toy on the floor and he'll go running after it.

Of course I may end up with some sort animal on my lap shortly thereafter, so I'm willing to share my seat. But it's definitely my seat.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

You get up and leave the room for a few minutes, perhaps grabbing a snack.  When you come back into the room you notice that your pet is now laying down where you once sat.   Do you reclaim your seat by moving the pet out of the way or do you sit somewhere else?

This literally happens every time I get up.  I swear she lays in wait.  I generally pick her up an dput her in my lap.  She immediately departs.  With a haughty, "how dare you?" look.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

You get up and leave the room for a few minutes, perhaps grabbing a snack.  When you come back into the room you notice that your pet is now laying down where you once sat.   Do you reclaim your seat by moving the pet out of the way or do you sit somewhere else?

If there's room, I sit down next to Riley, since she'll immediately get on my lap and then I can scoot us into whatever position I want.

She never sits in my office chair by herself*, but Maddie and Baxter used to.  If I needed to sit down and work, I'd move them, but if I was just coming in to compose a single email or something like that, I'd kneel on the floor in between the chair and my desk and type that way.

*But, boy, does she want to be on my lap when I'm in it.  I let her sit there when I'm just reading, then tap her and say "scoot" when I need her to move so I can type.  She jumps up on the desk and stays there for a while, waiting for the typing to stop so she can get back in my lap.  If the typing goes on too long, or she gets shooed out of my lap too many times, she'll finally give up and go sleep on the office couch instead.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

They like the body heat left behind. I'll sit next to them or elsewhere. Or take that opportunity to do something productive.

15 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

My pets run the house, I sit somewhere else.   It is kind of strange, I adopt to kittens (now cats) and now they run the house.   I do everything on their terms.  I am not sure that is how it is supposed to work.

It is. Your home is their entire world. You are 110% responsible for their mental and physical well being and care.. Having a cat is like having a toddler. You try and talk with them and reason with them and they still do whatever the fuck they want when they want. You can teach a toddler, you can't really teach a cat.

They do pick up on patterns. I get "yelled" at if I am late with the kitten-cats treat. He gets one every day when I come home from work (around 5:30pm). On the weekends he's in the kitchen around 5:30 meowing at me.

There are things you can do, like not train them to associate you with food, so they don't wake you in the middle of the night to eat. Make sure they get some solid heavy play time in shortly before you go to bed so they sleep through the night. Make sure they have plenty of toys, perches and places to scratch in every room of the house. Battery powered hunting toys are great and if you can find something they both like they could very well play together or side-by-side for awhile and let you do other things.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, theredhead77 said:

They do pick up on patterns. I get "yelled" at if I am late with the kitten-cats treat. He gets one every day when I come home from work (around 5:30pm). On the weekends he's in the kitchen around 5:30 meowing at me.

One of our cats is the same way. She knows when it's breakfast time, and will pester us about it until she gets fed. And if my mom leaves earlier than normal, or comes home late, for whatever reason, she will meow up a storm. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

One of our cats is the same way. She knows when it's breakfast time, and will pester us about it until she gets fed. And if my mom leaves earlier than normal, or comes home late, for whatever reason, she will meow up a storm. 

That's why I have gravity feeders and allow them to eat on demand. I am not the source of their food on a regular schedule. They don't over-eat though, if they did I'm sure I'd be in an entire different predicament. 

• Love 2

Parker is now curled up in my lap and Sophie is snoozing next to me (she fell asleep while getting her tummy rubbed). We were expecting them to be shy but they have settled right in. Tomorrow we have to do some more cat proofing - there were some things we didn’t think of, like clearing off our fireplace mantle. I’m work from home for the foreseeable future due to corona virus in my company, so we’ll get lots of bonding time. 

• Love 9
(edited)

@emma675, we found them on Petfinder (thanks, @bilgistic!) and visited the shelter on the same day. We were actually interested in a different pair that had been housed together, but when we got there Mr Gunderson was immediately drawn to Sophie. Fortunately Parker was also available, and is about the same age. She had been spayed earlier in the day so was groggy and not very interested in us. The staff assured us that she was sweet and mellow, so we took a chance. Both are total love bugs!

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

They just met about 20 minutes ago and are already friends.

That is fantastic!

I love that you went in to look at an established pair - which would have been a wonderful adoption story on its own - and wound up doing a mix and match instead because that's just how things went.

Congratulations to the four of you.  I'm sure if the previous Kitties Gunderson could see this development, they'd approve.  I look forward to a new set of pictures and stories.  How old are they estimated to be?

• Love 4