Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

I also recommend Lap of Love. I used them for Bilgisticat. The vet who came over was so incredibly kind, gentle and sympathetic. It was so much easier than having to take him to a vet, as I did with my first cat.

My friend and former coworker and I are getting together after the new year and she is bringing her new kitty, Milo. He is the snuggliest boy, and I can't wait to meet him! Look at this sweet baby!IMG_20211218_191004.thumb.jpg.5627a26980098a72a2687d1015ce5c43.jpg

• Love 15
10 minutes ago, ABay said:

FWIW, giving fluids isn't too bad.

I can ditto this. And I didn't stick myself even once (a true miracle). I gave my beloved dog at least six more months of a good quality of life. Every day when the time came to put the needle in her, I'd tell myself that I couldn't do it, but every day I did, and I knew that she knew I was showing her how much I loved her.

So if it's an option for you with Blake, you can do it, too. And those of us who have will cheerlead you all the way.  📣

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Things are not looking good for my little bundle of attitude Blake. They ran the tests at the emergency vet this morning. his sodium levels are off the charts. They gave him fluids. 

I made the decision not to hospitalize him. I brought him home to watch Christmas movies and cuddle. I have him wrapped in blankets and the mini heater on to keep him warm. The said that I could come back to the emergency vet if I needed to euthanize him and didn’t want to drive to see my primary vet. 

BBD72E80-E062-4443-9AF4-37ED072792E6.jpeg

So sorry.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

And I didn't stick myself even once (a true miracle).

That is impressive. 

Joining the chorus of those with subQ experience; sometimes it causes more stress to the cat than it's worth, but the overwhelming majority of the time, owner and cat get into a smooth routine.  And that seemingly simple supportive therapy can often extend quality time with a number of chronic conditions.   So, @Scarlett45, if that turns out to be something that may help Blake, know we will be here to give tips, answer any questions when you can't remember some part of what the tech showed you, and reassure you.

And, honestly, when they're feeling unwell and listless, that's the easiest time to do it for the first time; then they start feeling better and put up more of a fight, but you have some confidence under your belt by then. 

You two remain in my thoughts; I hope for healing, and send you my sympathy and support if that's not possible.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

That is impressive.

Especially impressive considering I squeezed my eyes closed each time right before I inserted the needle. (I'm kidding.) 

My experience was with a dog, so it's probably a bit different. But I think they can sense themselves starting to feel better as the fluids enter their system, so maybe an association with the whole process and the feeling better develops over time. I just remember being surprised that there was so little resistance on my girl's part. I chose to believe she knew it was good for her. And she liked that it made me so queasy.

• Love 5

I lost my sweet Baby Boo 3 years ago today. He was dumped at the end of my road as a kitten. He went to my neighbor's house as she had 4-5 cats already. She made sure he was OK and I said I was ready for a cat again. That was 2006 he was totally an indoor cat, I fed the birds(cat TV)  and had climbing stations all over the house. He never really wanted to go out.

Baby Boo:

IMG_0004.thumb.JPG.6d913ab08ae1d2e501e3f81a6122395b.JPG

I now have 6 feral cats that live in my yard. They are all gray tiger cats, I call them my yard tigers. Mama escaped from next door neighbor when daughter was moving. They have assumed no responsibility for the kitties. Mama's first litter was 4, I managed to catch one and get it a home, but the howling and fear is now ingrained in all the kitties. Second litter was only 2. (One fluffy all gray one with piercing green eyes. I really want that kitty.) They come when I feed them, but will not come for petting/loving, so are truly feral. I would love to bring in a couple to be inside cats, but they are really wild...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 13

Erin, who now clocks in at 10.24 pounds, and her mother went to the vet this afternoon for their annual exams. Aside from gaining a whole pound over the last year, peeing in the exam room floor (sigh), and needing a teeth cleaning, Erin is healthy. Lexi had all good marks. I didn't get to go in with them because our vet is still using COVID protocols.

Now I have to again try to get my boyfriend to stop giving in to feeding the girls (namely Erin) in the middle of the night when he gets up to go to the bathroom.

Our neverending conversation about this: "She won't leave me alone until I feed her!"

"And then when you feed her, what has she learned?"

"OKAY..."

• LOL 12

^^^ Joke but no joke. We have a bell mounted near the front door that I taught our cat to ring when she wants to go out into the breezeway, which is the closest she gets to being outdoors on her own. (There are screen portions of the windows in that space, so she can hear and smell the woods and the birds.) The bell seemed like a good alternative to her letting us know she wanted to go out by jumping onto a piece of furniture next to the door and progressively knocking ever more breakable things off it. The catch is, she never lets us see her ring it. She waits under the furniture till we're both seated comfortably. Then she rings it. So if you have a plate of food on your lap, you have to remove it, set it down on a side table, get up again, and go to the door. And a lot of the time she doesn't really want to go out (say, it's too cold)--she just wants you to prove your willingness to serve her.

We call my husband the cat's butler.

• LOL 21

My sweet Blake is gone. He was my tiny little bundle of attitude, who got adopted because Charlie jumped into my arms. When he lived with my mom he could sleep in my sisters bed and she would feed him food from her plate. He was my last cat of this “generation”. He was there when Charlie died, when Mr Norris died, and then he even let me bring a giant blond dog in here! Being an only cat turned him into a lap cat. 17 yrs of life and 14 years with us. 

I got home yesterday and the house felt so empty. I sad down to watch tv and my lap felt so bare. I’ve had cats almost my whole life, it’s amazing how quickly they turn. They are so small. 

2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

My sweet Blake is gone. He was my tiny little bundle of attitude, who got adopted because Charlie jumped into my arms. When he lived with my mom he could sleep in my sisters bed and she would feed him food from her plate. He was my last cat of this “generation”. He was there when Charlie died, when Mr Norris died, and then he even let me bring a giant blond dog in here! Being an only cat turned him into a lap cat. 17 yrs of life and 14 years with us. 

I got home yesterday and the house felt so empty. I sad down to watch tv and my lap felt so bare. I’ve had cats almost my whole life, it’s amazing how quickly they turn. They are so small. 

Thoughts are with you Scarlett.  Play in heaven Blake~ 

• Love 7

I'm so sorry to hear about Blake, @Scarlett45.  I've been thinking of you and that cute nose on Blake all week, hoping this announcement would not come, but fearing it would.  My heart goes out to you.

I'm glad Cosmo came into your home when he did so that he is with you during this terrible time, but I know Blake's absence is still so very palpable.  There are all these places you're used to seeing him, and it hits you in the heart he's not there. 

There's no good time of year for it to happen, but this is a particularly bad one.  Take care of yourself as best you can.

• Love 8

The starlings have found my feeders again. They'd been mostly absent since I put the feeders back up in fall but were all over them like birds on Suzanne Pleshette this morning. 

Most of the other usual feathered things have returned--cardinals, nuthatches, Carolina wrens, chickadees (although not so many as last year), titmice, downy woodpeckers, juncos, sparrows of all kinds, house finches and goldfinches.

Pigeons, too, unfortunately although not as many as there had been. The cooper's hawk has kept the numbers down, I think.

I haven't seen the big woodpeckers in a long time and I'm not sure how to lure them back. They usually go for the suet and nut/fruit holders.

Also no grackles. They're the only stalwarts from last year who haven't appeared at all.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

My son-in-law found this kitten in a drain pipe. After much digging he was safe. He has been nursed, checked by a veterinarian, and fixed. Meet Toothless:

28E7F1E3-B41B-4342-85BB-E5207F1A12FF.jpeg

Hi Toothless! Welcome to a life of luxury! May your scary adventure be a forgotten memory in short order.

Be sure to let your hooman know you're now boss, by looking cute while being naughty and demanding endless pets.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, ginger90 said:

My son-in-law found this kitten in a drain pipe. After much digging he was safe. He has been nursed, checked by a veterinarian, and fixed. Meet Toothless:

What a cute kitten! And I hope that the name Toothless is just for fun and not an actual condition.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Is he keeping Toothless?  Also, is the poor dear really toothless?  Black cats are the best!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I was guessing he is named after the dragon in How to Train Your Dragon

Ah, thanks - that makes sense (and is cute); I'm not familiar with that movie, but I also couldn't figure out how a kitten old enough to be fixed didn't have any teeth, so I had no guesses on the name origin. 

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4