Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E13: Finale, Part 1

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

I haven't watched the last 3 "reunions" and have no desire to watch this one.  I'll be opting out.

When I saw Kini's coat, I thought serious Steampunk.  I thought all of his looks were horrible.  He was understandably upset, but I thought the judges were absolutely right about his styling.

I liked Char's dress that Nina hated.  I'm positive she'd question my taste level. 

I also loved Amanda's jewelry.  He husband seemed really great.

• Love 5

I'm forecasting that Amanda is going to win. Especially when the judges were talking about how she makes clothes that people want to buy, I was like "yep, she's gonna win." And I liked what we saw of her collection, though I am glad the judges told her to get rid of the hippy dresses. 

I liked Sean's too. Char's was very...Char. Meh. 

I am so disappointed in Kini's collection so far! =( I was really rooting for him for the win, but those 3 preview looks were a mess. That coat was hideous and I really hope he takes the judge's advice by scrapping that thing. But I thought that skirt with the band-like part by the waist (the first skirt that went down the runway) was even worse. It was ill-fitting and clunky looking. It's pretty bad when a skirt makes a stick-thin model look like she's got a flat tire. And I was not expecting that out of Kini.

I know I looked at all the collections in the TLO spoilers a while ago, but the only collection of these 4 designers I really remember much about is Sean's ('cause fringe and orange)... So, I really hope Kini pulled it out. 

Since when are they given a "theme" for their final collection?? I thought it was strange Tim & Heidi directed them to make collections inspired by Rome. I don't recall there being directed themes for the final collections before... am I just out of the loop?

• Love 6

I thought this episode was rather dull.  Seriously Char is not that great of a designer.  Her middle dress that Nina said had to go looked SO cheap to me.  It looked like something from a lower-end mall.  It was awful.  Personally I like Kini's "lady" style, but I have never been particularly hip, and would always pick a knee-length skirt over leather leggings.  I do agree that the styling was poor though.  

• Love 3

I did not understand Kini's collection.  It was for Spring and he did a big denim coat and a lot of heavy dark eye shadow?  Maybe for a Fall collection - although even then his focus on denim denim denim is just too much.   Did he lie about having an evening gown?  I  thought he said his coat was his big finale piece?

And I agree with Nina that Sean doesn't have to put fringe on every single piece.  I hope he was still working on his finishing because that orange fringe was very sloppy when the camera went in for a close up.

• Love 2

I'm forecasting that Amanda is going to win. Especially when the judges were talking about how she makes clothes that people want to buy, I was like "yep, she's gonna win." And I liked what we saw of her collection, though I am glad the judges told her to get rid of the hippy dresses. 

I liked Sean's too. Char's was very...Char. Meh. 

I am so disappointed in Kini's collection so far! =( I was really rooting for him for the win, but those 3 preview looks were a mess. That coat was hideous and I really hope he takes the judge's advice by scrapping that thing. But I thought that skirt with the band-like part by the waist (the first skirt that went down the runway) was even worse. It was ill-fitting and clunky looking. It's pretty bad when a skirt makes a stick-thin model look like she's got a flat tire. And I was not expecting that out of Kini.

I know I looked at all the collections in the TLO spoilers a while ago, but the only collection of these 4 designers I really remember much about is Sean's ('cause fringe and orange)... So, I really hope Kini pulled it out. 

Since when are they given a "theme" for their final collection?? I thought it was strange Tim & Heidi directed them to make collections inspired by Rome. I don't recall there being directed themes for the final collections before... am I just out of the loop?

My problem is that surely no one can force inspiration.  You are either inspired by an experience or you are not. Honestly, I have been to Rome twice, and though a lovely city, it did not particularly inspire me in a creative way.  You could tell that the designers were really reaching.  

• Love 6

Disappointed with all of the preview looks, especially Kini's.  I was also disappointed that Char didn't do something more exciting with that gorgeous fabric she purchased in Rome.  Oh well, it remains to be seen.  I do like her because she is the only one of the F4 that loves bright color.  She looked fabulous tonight and needs to incorporate more of her own personal look into her designs.  Loved that flared military style top.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 2

I really like the pre-show feedback session.  I do wonder if it actually occurs a day prior to the collections being shown, or if the designers have a bit more time to make adjustments.  If the issue is solely styling the timeframe doesn't matter, but re-working, or even replacing pieces would be difficult to accomplish in less than 24 hours.  Perhaps not for Kini, which is good since it appears he has the most work to do.  I'm not certain what Sean can do about the amount of fringe in his collection. Simply removing it from a handful of garments wouldn't work because the remaining pieces would look incomplete.  And the judges didn't just recommend taking away some fringe; they also asked for additional ideas and techniques to be introduced.  I'm looking forward to next week!

• Love 2

Char kept saying how edgy her collection was.  I didn't see it.  Her stuff was okay, but if you can find it in any mall in America, it ain't edgy.

I did not like Sean's white top with the orange skirt.  The style was completely at odds with the skirt. 

Agreed about Kini's styling, but I felt bad for him.  So easy for the judges to say, "Get rid of it."   Well, what if they can't?

• Love 7

That fabric of Chars reminded me too much of an 80's print, with those bright colors.  I liked the top of her romper, but the shorts were too short.

And I didn't think there was anything Roman, Italian, ancient, crumbling, rocky or anything even remotely inspirational about their clothes. 

• Love 7

Best Western lady looked like a conservative politicians wife from the early 90's.

FRINGE! DENIM! Who will win that epic battle for the ages.

Tim really needs to cool it with the hyperbole. I am waiting to see the "Phenomenon" that is Kini.

Those Mary Kay eyes. Nothing says spring like raccoon eyes.

• Love 14
That fabric of Chars reminded me too much of an 80's print, with those bright colors.  I liked the top of her romper, but the shorts were too short.

Yes.  I'm not a fashionista by any means, but I know what I would like to wear.  I would LOVE a loose, billowy tunic of that gorgeous Italian fabric with some tight black pants.

• Love 9

It's real nice that the judges wait until the last show before fashion week to tell Kini they don't like what he's doing because -- HELLO!? -- I'm not seeing the massive difference between what he was doing, which they loved, and what he just showed us!

I like Kini's structured clothes, even if I'm less enamored with denim. More average women can wear his stuff because that structured look supports the body. With Sean and Amanda, you have to be a human clothes hanger, i.e., a fashion model, to pull their stuff off.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 9

After reading the comments, I think I see what the problem is: the final four are just so boring.  Their clothes are dull and uninteresting.  Kini at least made one really interesting top, but that was the only piece out of all of them that really stood out to me.  

Best Western couldn't spring for suites? Rome was the inspiration? I didn't see that in the collections. This episode was boring for me, perhaps because I was spoiled by the fashion week collections. 

Yeah. My husband was in the room for the first part of the show and he and both thought the cabins on our cruises seemed just as large as the Best Western hotel rooms.

• Love 5

Poor Kini. I agreed with the judges that he needed to add some modern twists so that the outfits didn't look so heavy, but I still feel for the guy. Like the others said, how can they expect someone to completely rework their collection in one day? Then again, out of the four designers, he's the one I could imagine making it happen. IF he can get his head out of the depressed negative space and refocus and see his collection objectively from a new angle. He's super fast with the sewing; maybe he can make it work! I'm rooting for him.

• Love 5

I don't know why they chose Rome for an inspiration trip unless it was just for a promo for Best Western. Denim, fringe, long maxi dresses didn't scream Rome at me.

The preview runway show did nothing for me. I thought it was boring. But these final four designers were pretty much boring all season anyway so no surprise I guess.

I felt bad for Kini, he looked so defeated. I hope he pulls it off for the big fashion show.

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 3

I liked Sean's idea about Julius Caesar. I thought that out of all of them, he had the most "Rome inspired" idea, and I liked his approach to it as a storyline of designs.

I just hope in the end he doesn't have too much fringe. I agree with Nina that he should show more than one design element as the focal point. It can't just be fringe. I feel like that happens to a lot of designers when they're preparing for fashion week; sometimes it seems they get hung up on one particular idea and they can't let go of it enough to see their collection more objectively, and in the end it's what causes them to have a boring runway show or just not enough spark to win. Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone (it's getting late here) but I'm sure if I thought back on all the designers, I could think of a bunch who fell into that danger zone. Can anyone else think of someone who fit that? Maybe Angela and her fleurchons?

• Love 1

l like Kini, but I just don't get doing denim for fashion week.

Was anybody else bothered by the fact that Tim was actually telling Char how to fix that blue dress to fit the model? Why don't they have someone else step in and do it for her? Sheesh! It' clear that she's in over her head and all of Tim's gushing about her isn't going to change anybody's mind about her designs. It also made me wonder if this whole "let's see your looks before the runway" thing is about saving her. Either that or the judges are aware that all of these contestants just aren't that good and they're trying to save Project Runway the embarrassment of sending down four bad collections.  

• Love 12

I liked Amanda's two patterned looks, but the one she chose as her final look actually didn't wow me. I know she designed the jewelry and everything, but the dress itself wasn't particularly show-stopping for a final garment to go down the runway. I just felt a bit bored by it. Take away that giant necklace and it seems like a bland dress. At least with the patterned looks they had some personality and interesting patterning.

I hope the other 3 have more interesting final looks or this is going to be one boring runway.  :(

Edited by sinkwriter

I fell asleep on the couch in the middle of the runway preview. What a total snoozefest of a Finale, Part One. I hope something more interesting happens next week, because watching the judges bash Kini twenty-four hours before the Biggest Thing In His Life Ever happens was not my idea of enjoyable television.

• Love 10

I like all of these designers on a personal level. When Tim did his at-home visits, I enjoyed getting to know their families and home life.

However, as others have said, I am not WOWED by any of the collections. And do they really only have half a day to make all of the changes that the judges suggested? That is just cruel.

I have a confession: I HATE denim, but I did like Kini's coat. It was very dramatic and almost steam-punk/victorian, which is a style I love. Didn't care for his other looks though. Poor Kini. 

• Love 6

Regarding Amanda's collection, the maxi dress thing was already done by Uli several years ago. Maxi dresses are simply not at all fresh. They are stale and uninteresting at this point. To me, Amanda is just following trends, not setting them.

Yes.

Amanda doesn't bother me as much now, personality wise, but I agree with Nina (ugh) that she needs to move away from the Boho hippie and elevate her clothing.

They weren't telling her to move away from her aesthetic, but rather to make it less boring. I don't wear maxi dresses because I think they're unflattering, but I didn't mind her middle look. It's very her.

Nina and Zac were right about how Char should design more like the way that she dresses. I like how Char dresses herself. She has a style and should try to inject more of that into her work. Maybe it would look less mallworthy.

I like Sean's minimal vibe because it's similar to my preferred aesthestic, but the fringe? NO. I think fringe makes an outfit looked dated. I don't know why Heidi likes fringe so much. She must be toking on some bad weed.

Poor Kini, but if anyone can pull off great looks in a short period of time, it's him. I do think his looks came across as a bit too serious. I don't mind denim, but only in jeans. I think he should incorporate more leather into his collection. Nina said the same.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm pissed that this episode had me agreeing with Nina a lot.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 6

I actually enjoyed the episode and liked the collections better than I thought I would after reading comments about the FW collections. I even agreed with Nina! Kini's styling was too much Real Housewives of New Jersey and I didn't like the coat either, especially the big boxy shoulders. I also felt that Amanda's black and white knit dress didn't belong with the other two. The cut of it was boring. I liked Char's black and white outfit the best of the three. Sean's white dress--the red fringe going down the back looked like a graduation tassel. This won't be the best final four, but better than season 9 final four.

There is a reunion show on Oct. 30 at 7:00 central, 8 eastern. All- stars probably starts after that.

I didn't realize the size of the Coliseum until I saw how small people were next to it.

Edited by Lamb18
Char kept saying how edgy her collection was.  I didn't see it.  Her stuff was okay, but if you can find it in any mall in America, it ain't edgy.

This. I just can't even with Char. It's like she's never seen a real collection from a real designer and has no idea what it is to present a cohesive design aesthetic. The way she talks about her approach and her "girl" (shudder) is really disjointed and unclear: just a string of meaningless buzzwords. "She's edgy! She's hot! She's fun!" How is that a design aesthetic? Particularly when she then translates these vague ideas into three pieces that have nothing in common, and bring nothing interesting to the table either individually or collectively. There are certainly things to criticize about all the designers, but at least the others seem to have some kind of vision. Char just seems lost and massively out of her depth.

That said, I don't care who wins. At all. This has to be the least talented group of designers to make it to Fashion Week. It's hard to imagine actually deleting Project Runway from my DVR, but...I'm starting to imagine it. With the uninspired designs, the uninspiring Tim, the painfully inappropriate product placement, the inexplicable judging and the bottom-of-the-barrel talent, there's just not much here to watch, except the decline of a once fantastically entertaining show.

Edited by stanleyk
  • Love 18

I appreciate the designers restraint when hearing criticism of styling. They have Aldo's pleather hooker shoes and bags, and Mary Kay's spackle collection to use.

Makeup Mustache man hears 'edgy' and goes for an eye with dark blue with black over it. Why don't they just let Crayola do the makeup next year? Or use Home Depot paint chips?

Edited by dbell1
  • Love 24

Vis a vis CHAR and EDGY: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Whether you love Kini or think he's boring, that was tough to watch. He was CRUSHED. Not that the judges weren't right in some of their comments, but seriously, in this season was it really any worse than Sean's FRINGEFAIRE or Char's EDGY, fun and hot romper?
Walking the runway on tonight's show, Amanda's was my favourite collection, but I think it's between her and Sean and if Project Runway is true to form, it's time for a male winner so it will be Sean.

Just, ugh.

• Love 7

I really like all 4 finalists as people, but their designs simply do nothing for me.

Sean - The designer I just don't "get" usually wins, which should make Sean the winner.  I don't get why or where anyone would wear one of the designs he showed tonight.  That white toga thing looks like something I could whip up with a curtain.  (I felt the same way about the white dress he made last week.)  I adore clothes and make a conscious effort to buy things that make my body look its best.  I don't find his styles flattering to a woman's shape.

Kini - I'm hoping poor, sweet, talented Kini can turn this thing around.  His styles were not just old lady--they were old lady dressed for a funeral.  There was no joy to his collection.  But he could turn things around.  As Nina said, that white top was darling.  Pair it with a cute pair of pants or shorts, and I would wear it.

Char - I would love to see her win.  If she had the training of the others, I think she would be unstoppable.  I love the fact that she actually used color.  But Tim is right.  She needs to keep working on the less is more concept.  As Nina would say, she needs to edit.

Amanda - I'm far from Boho, but I would actually wear some of her pieces.  (I do wish that she and every other designer on the show would somehow accept that real women typically wear bras and fit the tops of their garments accordingly.)  I fear she may have shot herself in the foot with her limited color palette, but I really could see her winning.  

Edited by TVFAN
  • Love 2

It's like she's never seen a real collection from a real designer and has no idea what it is to present a cohesive design aesthetic.

As soon as Tim asked to see her sketches and she said she didn't have any, that she was just going with ideas popping up in her head, I thought, oh boy, this is not going to be a well thought out, cohesive collection. Oh, Char...

• Love 4

Kini needs to add some Char (joy, sex, color) to his designs and Char needs to add some Kini (structure/tailoring) to her pieces. If wish that there were some way to combine the two. The result would be a phenomenal designer. Amanda's collection is one big boring snoozefest. The judges instructed her to add more jewelry because her designs are tragically boring. Her fabric choices are always dreary. I personally did not care for the jewelry but it did at least distract from the garments. I like Sean's choice of orange for the runway but orange is one of my favorite colors. 

Edited by cafe au lait
  • Love 9

dbell, I am doing the makeup next season and I'm using Sharpie dayglo perma highlighters.

Also, I have a question regarding Char. Everyone keeps talking about her personal style and why doesn't she design more like she dresses. How do we know she HAS designed what she is wearing? And if she hasn't designed it, wouldn't she just be copying the style of someone she likes to wear? As I said last week, I'm not as honked off as I thought I'd be that she's in the finale, although I still don't think she earned it. But I don't see anything she wears looking like anything she designs, which to me only says, she has nice taste in what she chooses to wear, except for that horrible pink saggy skirt thing a couple weeks ago.

And amen to whomever said Tim needs to stop the hyperbole, especially where Char is concerned. When he told her he had such a belief in her and they haven't seen her talent yet, I was thinking, yeah, and why the finale then? And then there was something about a symphony, and oh meh gerd, I'm almost to the point I don't get Tim and these judges anymore.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 10

Oh how wish Tim had saved Fade.  Fade had a much clearer point of view as a designer than Char.  I find Sean to be a complete and total snoozefest.  Sandyha was odd and out there, but her stuff was never dull.  I would have much rather preferred to have seen her collection than Sean's of Char's.  

• Love 18

I agree that Char is out of her depth.  Char to me is a stylist more than a designer.  She has a good sense of style, but not a good sense of design, and yes both things are different.  

I believe that Char brings an interesting point of view to the finale. She and Sean both bring color and a sense of fun to the runway. Had the judges chosen Emily; we would have dreary drab Emily, dreary drab Amanada, deary drab and frumpy Kini. It would have been the dreariest PR finale ever. The entire audience would have fallen asleep. Last week we saw Chat add a welt pocket to a skirt. Welt pockets are a tricky application. Char certainly is no Kini but she's not the complete train wreck that she's being made out to be either.

• Love 9

Just looked at some of the decoy collections.  Wow Fade and Sandhya were a thousand times more interesting than Char.  Char is a stylist.  She could maybe be a designer for the Target house brand, but she is not fresh, interesting, or high fashion.  She just seems like a nice woman who knows how to dress well.  Fade's stuff in the decoy collection was fresh, interesting, and incredibly cool.  It was young and actually rather fun.  

PR really needs a prize for the auf'd designer with the best decoy collection.  Fade really put a ton of effort into his and he should get some recognition for it.  He is obviously a better designer than any of the final four except for maybe Kini.  

• Love 10

I believe that Char brings an interesting point of view to the finale. She and Sean both bring color and a sense of fun to the runway. Had the judges chosen Emily; we would have dreary drab Emily, dreary drab Amanada, deary drab and frumpy Kini. It would have been the dreariest PR finale ever. The entire audience would have fallen asleep. Last week we saw Chat add a welt pocket to a skirt. Welt pockets are a tricky application. Char certainly is no Kini but she's not the complete train wreck that she's being made out to be either.

I do not think she is a train wreck or anything.  I actually think her clothes are quite nice, but they are not even close to being high fashion.  She takes zero risks.  Taking a risks is what high fashion is all about.  Char is a woman with a good style who makes some pretty decent clothes, but that won't get her anywhere near being the next big designer.  Go look at Fade's decoy collection - it is so much better than anything Char has put out there that it will blow your mind.  Look at Sandhya's too.  It has some odd pieces but much of her stuff is interesting to look at.  No, I would not wear any of it, but a runway show is about design and creativity first and foremost.  

• Love 6

I appreciate the designers restraint when hearing criticism of styling. They have Aldo's pleather hooker shoes and bags, and Mary Kay's spackle collection to use.

Makeup Mustache man hears 'edgy' and goes for an eye with dark blue with black over it. Why don't they just let Crayola do the makeup next year? Or use Home Depot paint chips?

Adding to this - didn't Project Runway go so cheap this season? I used to associate it with high fashion. Now it's a forum to promote Red Robin fast food and Best Western motels. Yikes.

• Love 12

Oh how wish Tim had saved Fade.  Fade had a much clearer point of view as a designer than Char.  I find Sean to be a complete and total snoozefest.  Sandyha was odd and out there, but her stuff was never dull.  I would have much rather preferred to have seen her collection than Sean's of Char's.  

Sandyha could have done a fabulous Roman circus collection and her models could have worn full clown make-up. 

• Love 6

Adding to this - didn't Project Runway go so cheap this season? I used to associate it with high fashion. Now it's a forum to promote Red Robin fast food and Best Western motels. Yikes.

This show has the most schizophrenic take on its demographics.  One year it was Belk that baffled me (never even heard of them, and there are no stores near me anyway) and now Mary Kay, Red Robin, and Best Western.  Seriously who are they advertising to?  I assume I am an "average" viewer - 33 year old professional female.  I am sure as shit not going to use Mary Kay or eat at Red Robin.  And though I sometimes stay as Best Western hotels, it is for reasons other than the brand appealing to me.  Mary Kay is something my middle-aged aunt likes.  There is nothing wrong with that, but it clashes with the "young" look that the judges say they are looking for.  The shoes from Also tonight looked like shit.  They were all just black and strappy, and not close to being high fashion.

• Love 7

Seriously who are they advertising to?  I assume I am an "average" viewer - 33 year old professional female.  I am sure as shit not going to use Mary Kay or eat at Red Robin.

LOL. I'll never use Mary Kay, but I don't know about Red Robin... a few years back I went there for the first time with my brother, he let me try a bite of his teriyaki burger and it was really good! I've always wanted to go back to try the whole sandwich and see if it's as good as my memory of that bite.

• Love 2

Well, I will never know anything about Red Robin burgers, because, despite being a sponsor of the show, they never even showed us any of their burgers - just fries.  Endless, greasy, salty fries.  The stoggy, old lady Mary Kay makeup just looks odd with many of the looks on this show.  Best Western is still a horrible name for a hotel brand and it just makes me think of bland, uninteresting hotels I stay at when out of town on business without a proper per diem.  

High fashion and catwalks go with edgy make-up brands, and food like salads with quinoa and quail eggs, not burgers and fries.  High fashion pairs with the Four Seasons, or at the very least the freaking Radisson, but certainly not a hotel that advertises having guest laundry.  The shoe sponsor should be Christian Louboutin, not Aldo.  

This show's choice of sponsors just cheapens the entire premise of the show - that they are looking for the next big thing in fashion.  

• Love 15