Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E13: Finale, Part 1

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Yawn. The fact that I didn't bother watching this episode until Sunday night sums up my feelings about the final four.

I suppose I disliked Amanda's pieces the least. I've never understood the Kini love, so was totally not surprised by how awful I found his collection. $9000 and he chooses all denim?He seems so old to me, and it always shocks me when I'm reminded he is only 30. Char seems like a perfectly lovely lady, and I'd love to have a margarita with her, but she should not be in the final four. With Sean, I'm left feeling like he's a better designer than what we've seen from him on this show. It seems like he's gotten too stuck on one idea, and Tim did not help with that.

Oh, how I would have loved to see Sandhaya's final collection tonight. Love her or hate her, at least it would have been something new. Fade's collection as well. Sigh.

• Love 1

Tie dye was the sixties and early seventies. The late seventies were disco. The space in between was pretty drab, except for Cher.

I still think, though, that what Amanda thinks she knows about the seventies is what was available in the thrift shops of an observant mormon community in Nebraska two decades later, and that her "girl" is as untenably microtargeted as Char's.

I agree. Every one of these designers has a viewpoint that's targeted toward a smaller group of consumers. Out of the people I know, not one would purchase items from any one of these designers' collections.

I can't choose any one of the designers as having a broad-based appeal.

• Love 1

I wish we could have spent that episode's thread talking about this, instead of Korina!  This is much more fun.

Hmm, I watch online, which means it's the 60-minute version, but when I watched it did have the "it's not about you" line and the "LOOK HOW LONG IT TAKES KORINA TO WALK DOWN A HALLWAY ISN'T SHE A HORRIBLE BITCH???" nonsense.  It's very interesting if it's been cut out since.

I've always found the easiest way to not talk about something I don't want to talk about, is to simply not talk about it.

• Love 3
I still think, though, that what Amanda thinks she knows about the seventies is what was available in the thrift shops of an observant mormon community in Nebraska two decades later, and that her "girl" is as untenably microtargeted as Char's.

But retro-fashion doesn't literally mean we take items that were sold and worn in the 1970s and transplant them to today. In fact, retro fashion is absolutely what an observant mormon community in Nebraska may consider "70s" two decades later, as they will presumably be borrowing elements from the 70s and incorporating them into whatever Mormons wear.

Granted, I do not know a whole lot about 70s fashion, but Amanda's use of simple A-line sillouhettes, patchwork, primary colors, prints, embellishments, vests, and the shape of her pants all conjure the vibe that I think of as 70s, and in fashion, perception might as well be reality. Amanda's designs are not modern, ergo, they must be retro. (I know there are problematic nuances with this argument, but people tend to work on this sort of binary, especially when buying clothes).

I don't think either Amanda or Char have an unrealistic expectation of who their "girl" is and what they want to wear. Potential Amanda customers are everywhere. The difference between the two, IMO, is that in the context of designing a collection, Amanda recognizes that there needs to be cohesive ideas and threads that are unique to her S/S 2015 collection and may not be in her S/S 2016 collection, whereas Char thinks that "fly", "cool" and "sexy" (which are perfectly reasonable ways to describe her "girl") are not appropriate inspirations for a collection that will differentiate it from her next one.

Edited by Oholibamah
  • Love 2

Designers can be inspired by any decade they want when it comes to how they put together a collection.

However, I think it helps when a designer has lived through said decade (whether the 60's/70's/80's, etc.) because they remember the original styles and likely would have a better sense of how to modernize those styles to fit what's current.

I feel like that's the point some posters here (those who grew up in the 60's and 70's) are trying to make.

Amanda talks as if she grew up in the 70's, but I'm pretty sure she was born in the mid 80's.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2

Designers can be inspired by any decade they want when it comes to how they put together a collection.

However, I think it helps when a designer has lived through said decade (whether the 60's/70's/80's, etc.) because they remember the original styles and likely would have a better sense of how to modernize those styles to fit what's current.

I feel like that's the point some posters here (those who grew up in the 60's and 70's) are trying to make.

Amanda talks as if she grew up in the 70's, but I'm pretty sure she was born in the mid 80's.

I would add too, that the clothing of a certain period doesn't exist in a vacuum, its sometimes a response to, or inspired by the times, the political atmosphere, the economy.  And people from a certain era will remember how the clothing made them feel in the context of the time.  The hippie look was a response to the stiff, upper lip, patriarchal society of the late 50's early 60's, it seems to be as much about politics as it was about anything else.  The 80's shoulder pad, pin stripe suit, yuppie look was a reflection of Reganomics, the economic boom, junk bonds, the Ayn Rand type "Greed is Good" culture.  The clothing probably made people, and especially women feel powerful, shoulder pads gave you a strength, a boardroom bitch* ideal that the working woman of the 60's didn't have.

I think a designer from the 80's would not only understand all the cultural, social, economic and political influences going on at the time, but how, in light of all of those things, how the clothing made you feel when you put it on.  As a woman in the 70's, did putting on a pair of bellbottoms and a tie dye tee shirt make you feel liberated of the social norms that told women they always had to be prim and proper and on display for men?  As a woman of the 80's, did putting on that Navy Blue pin striped power suit with the shoulder pads make you feel like you could take on the corporate world, bring home the bacon, fry it in a pan and all that?

Maybe a designer who understands all of that will understand how to recreate that feeling, but with an updated look/twist.

* - I say "boardroom bitch" as an honest to goodness compliment, I loved every single 80's movie with a woman in control of a company, or in a boardroom....my favorite is still "working girl" with melanie griffith

• Love 6

I loved Leeann Marshall's final collection. Shades of blue and white and cream and those lovely petals. Her wedding dress finale was beautiful and there was another ball gown in a shade of turquoise that just blew me away.

Leann's collection started my love affair with this show. (That finale episode was the first I'd seen, on repeat. I'm a late-comer.) It also represents what I'm missing this season (and too many recent years): a sense of cohesiveness, lovely pieces, strong craftsmanship, and just enough fantasy to transport me somewhere. I don't want clothes I can grab off a rack somewhere today - or even designs my pudgy little body wouldn't look ridiculous wearing. I want a fashion show.

• Love 5

Leann's collection started my love affair with this show. (That finale episode was the first I'd seen, on repeat. I'm a late-comer.) It also represents what I'm missing this season (and too many recent years): a sense of cohesiveness, lovely pieces, strong craftsmanship, and just enough fantasy to transport me somewhere. I don't want clothes I can grab off a rack somewhere today - or even designs my pudgy little body wouldn't look ridiculous wearing. I want a fashion show.

I had completely forgotten Leann, and this thread inspired me to go back and view her final collection, and now I want to weep for longing of everything you said up there. ::points to quote box:: Well, okay, weep is a tad dramatic, but. . .gosh, that collection is so pretty, so well-made, so graceful, and flattering to the models, and with "just enough fantasy," too. (Fwiw, I don't see any connection to Char's blue dress.)

• Love 3

I'm by no means a fashionista, but I've watched every single episode of PR, and when they cut to Char's turquoise dress I said out loud, "Lee Anne's petals!" Every season I hope for a repeat of the fun halcyon days of the show with Andre, Christian, etc. but instead we're getting Best Western and blahness. Recent seasons are so...joy-less.

Thank goodness Top Chef just started a new season.

• Love 1

Maybe I should add that when I say I don't see any connection between Char's blue dress and Leann's collection, I mean that nothing about Char's *really* reminds me of Leann's beautiful work. Char's design doesn't look like petals to me, it looks like--as someone above said--a Chinese lantern. And Leann's "blue" and Char's blue look so distantly connected as to be step-siblings and not direct relatives. Anyway, that's just my take on it. I can see how others might be reminded of Leann's.

• Love 1

The more I think about Char and Tim's conversation regarding why he used the save on her, the more annoyed I get.  While I'm sure it was supposed to be a heartwarming "AW" moment and Char took it as a great compliment, it basically summed up how low PR has fallen.

The whole idea that Char hasn't shown her talent yet but still got ushered through as a finalist is quite sad for the show.  This is how they are awarding spots to finalists now?  Don't demonstrate enough talent all season, but hey, I'm sure they'll wow us with more time.  What a far, far cry from the show's heyday.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 5

The more I think about Char and Tim's conversation regarding why he used the save on her, the more annoyed I get.  While I'm sure it was supposed to be a heartwarming "AW" moment and Char took it as a great compliment, it basically summed up how low PR has fallen.

The whole idea that Char hasn't shown her talent yet but still got ushered through as a finalist is quite sad for the show.  This is how they are awarding spots to finalists now?  Don't demonstrate any talent all season, but hey, I'm sure they'll wow us with more time.  What a far, far cry from the show's heyday.

Actually this isn't the first time this has happened.  Patricia, who was often innovative with her textile manipulation but not so strong a designer, was passed through several times because she had potential.   I think it is the sign of the times.  I heard a radio report announcing "Millennials are the next greatest generation."  It may be true, but how can anyone be declared "great" ahead of time?  That's something that's assessed after they've had a chance to actually accomplish something.  If this were a contest about finding individuals with potential, then it would make sense to push people forward who don't have the skills now but may at some future time, but this is supposed to be a contest of people who are already proven.  And I think Char does have her skills, but she struggles with time management, and she might benefit from some additional training and travel (if she could afford it).  I thought I read she was self-taught, and there's nothing wrong with that, but that can be self-limiting.  Kini,on the other hand, from Honolulu Community College’s fashion technology department with an AAS Degree in Fashion Technology and attended the  Fashion Institute of Technology, and he tried six times to get on the show.  I really admire tenacity and the fact he no doubt improved his skills each time.  Yes, he may be stuck in a dark color zone and, yes, he may not be the most creative, but he certainly studied his craft (and I think he studied the show as well because he knows he has to be fast).  So, it is great that Char has potential (and I would agree with that) but I'd rather the win goes to someone who displays the actual ability now.  Unfortunately, Kini, Sean, and Amanda all have skills but they are pretty uninspiring so far (from my point of view).

Edited by dialyn
  • Love 5

Of course, I had to go back & look at Leanne's collection too.....*heavy sigh*

I wonder if Nina ever looks back it and quietly weeps....

I'd bet Nina is a "no regrets" kind of gal, because regret means you may have made a mistake and I don't think Madame would admit to that.

• Love 3

They need some designers who have the flamboyant, eccentric personalities like they used to have way back when. Nowadays the designers are just, for lack of a better word, boring.

I'm not sure a season with Hernan, Sandhya, Korina, and Angela could be found lacking in eccentric personalities, and Hernan definitely wanted to claim flamboyant.

The designs just haven't been up to snuff.

• Love 3

I'm not sure that some of them might not have been able to do better without the chilling effect of blatant preferential treatment for Sandhya and Amanda. If the judges are absolutely determined to reward badly produced leaden whimsy and badly produced boring hommages to nothing, wouldn't you start to hedge your bets? 

• Love 3

I'm not sure that some of them might not have been able to do better without the chilling effect of blatant preferential treatment for Sandhya and Amanda. If the judges are absolutely determined to reward badly produced leaden whimsy and badly produced boring hommages to nothing, wouldn't you start to hedge your bets?

Sometimes I wonder if that's what's actually happening.

• Love 1
I mentioned this before. After exploring what the some of the more established designers presented and judging from some of the fashion week 2014 trends; Char and Sean are the two designers who actually do have a great "hold" on what is actually going on in fashion today.

http://www.harpersba...trends#slide-49

Forgive me if I'm forgetting one of Char's looks, but I'm not sure I see the connection between her output and the Tom Ford... I really wish I did see a bit more ingenuity in Char's looks. I like her spirit. But I don't think she has a specific enough idea of who her customer is. Many of you are bringing up "Fly Girl." I wish she did that and could be that zeroed in on an aesthetic. That would probably be amazing. I just don't see it in the ill-fitting romper with the Italian fabric or the sheer panels. I think she needs some time and guidance to find her voice, whereas I get the sense that the other three designers seem to have more specific POVs. 

• Love 4

Forgive me if I'm forgetting one of Char's looks, but I'm not sure I see the connection between her output and the Tom Ford... I really wish I did see a bit more ingenuity in Char's looks. I like her spirit. But I don't think she has a specific enough idea of who her customer is. Many of you are bringing up "Fly Girl." I wish she did that and could be that zeroed in on an aesthetic. That would probably be amazing. I just don't see it in the ill-fitting romper with the Italian fabric or the sheer panels. I think she needs some time and guidance to find her voice, whereas I get the sense that the other three designers seem to have more specific POVs. 

I thought the romper fit the model very well, so it really seems like MV thing.  I could totally see "fly girl" wearing that on a trip to St. Bart's, or to a club in Ibiza.

Wow I didn't realize she and kotu were so long ago. Yes Leanne's collection sums up a pov, beautiful tailoring..l restricted colors too,

I think "old lady" means old fashioned, prim and prudish. I just turned 50 and I am not old lady! I think they should just say that rather than use ageist phrases. Nina is my age minus six months so come on,,,,

I was a little girl in the 70s and I remember smiley faces, halter tops, big collars, orange and grey, pants suits, polyester shirts with cool designs like leopards in jungles. Not the sad somber stuff we saw.

I have an orange tabby girl too! How do you post pics?

I thought the romper fit the model very well, so it really seems like MV thing.  I could totally see "fly girl" wearing that on a trip to St. Bart's, or to a club in Ibiza.

It wasn't ill fitting. The shorts were very short but they were designed to be that way. The fit was great.

I wasn't comparing Char's work to just that one particular design. The article was about the 2014 fashion week trends. It was actually one of a couple that I found. I wanted to see what the more established designers presented so that I could get a better understanding of the trends. 

The whole idea that Char hasn't shown her talent yet but still got ushered through as a finalist is quite sad for the show.  This is how they are awarding spots to finalists now?  Don't demonstrate enough talent all season, but hey, I'm sure they'll wow us with more time.  What a far, far cry from the show's heyday.

I think you've forgotten some important Project Runways history. Season 1 introduced us to Wendy Pepper. Wendy was not only a mediocre designer at best but she also had a really nasty personality. Wendy received 6 low scores. The judges hated the majority of her work. Wendy sailed on into fashion week. Season 2 gave us Santino Rice, one of the more entertaining personalities to appear. Santino received 6 low scores. The judges hated over half of his designs. Santno went to fashion week. Season 3 was the first season to send 4 equally talented designers to the finale. Season 5 gave us the gift that was Kenly. Kenly made the exact same dress for every challenge, she had a horrible attitude and she argued with the judges. Kenly was ushered into the fashion week finale. Kenly went to fashion week instead of Jerell, who had won 3 challenges (compared to Kenly's one win). The judging has always been inconsistent and at times questionable. 

Had this been a more competitive season I too would probably take issue with not only Char but probably any of the current final 4 designers going to fashion week. This is not a competitive season though and Char has only received 3 low scores. The judges have liked most of her work. She and Emily each had 3 low scores and Emily went home on her fourth. Having seen Korina's, Fade's and Sandhya's  decoy collections; I'm glad Char made it to the final. Korina's leather collection was particularly dreadful 

Edited by cafe au lait
  • Love 4

I agree with the posters above about the use of the save for Char when it probably should have been used for Fade.

Me, too -- I think Fade would’ve done an amazing job using Rome as an inspiration -- some bizarre,

weird-ass combo of La Dolce Vita meets German punk meets Wiki leaks (or whatever crazy-ass fusion

he came up with).  And unlike this crop of dullards re: Italian material (even Char didn’t go for broke) he

would’ve known to grab tons of Italian fabrics – even swatches (maybe for high end "patchwork" smaller pieces)

and been inspired/excited/involved with the city, the fabrics, etc. (And Amanda’s story about her collection

was such bullshit; for someone in love with the sixties and seventies and maxi dresses -- and using Italy as

inspiration -- she sure did completely overlook the master of the sixties/seventies maxi, Pucci. )

I wonder if Nina ever looks back it and quietly weeps...

Dear Diary,

I dreamt about that girl again. The one with the petals. She chased me through Michael Kors'

backyard -- it looked just like Manderley-- he wore a Lily Pulitzer shift and kitten heels, and was

yelling at the pool boy to bring more rumaki, prego!  Anyway, that petal girl came at me  wielding

a giant scissor and screaming "Don't cry for me, Argentina." And me being from Columbia; what a

racist. Or Americanist. Or something. 

One part of the dream was helpful. When I woke up, I realized Michael was not on the show anymore!

All these years, I thought he'd just changed his nickname (nobody liked calling him Silly Millie) gotten

a Nero hair cut and a fabulous facelift  -- pity, I was hoping to use Michael's surgeon this birthday --

but I am intrigued that this Zac is actually a whole new person. (And I do prefer Zac's name to

Michael's. "Zac" sounds so fresh  --  like the name of a private label, high end vodka my set -- the

18--to ahem year old girls -- would use on a Greek tycoon's yacht on the Black Sea while cuddling Chinese

pandas -- so fresh, fresh, fresh!)

P.S. Diary, I am so tired of your old fashioned blue lines and pages  -- the page thing has been done

to death -- why can't you be new, modern, different? Make the lines go up and down!  Sideways! Think

outside the diary box!

Edited by film noire
  • Love 11

Dear Diary,

I dreamt about that girl again. The one with the petals. She chased me through Michael Kors' backyard -- it looked just like Manderley-- he wore a Lily Pulitzer shift and kitten heels, and was yelling at the pool boy to bring more rumaki, prego! Anyway, that petal girl came at me wielding. a giant scissor and screaming "Don't cry for me, Argentina." And me being from Columbia; what a racist. Or Americanist. Or something. 

Oh, my god. This is priceless.

*golf claps*

• Love 6

Dear Diary,

I dreamt about that girl again. The one with the petals. She chased me through Michael Kors'

backyard -- it looked just like Manderley-- he wore a Lily Pulitzer shift and kitten heels, and was

yelling at the pool boy to bring more rumaki, prego! Anyway, that petal girl came at me wielding

a giant scissor and screaming "Don't cry for me, Argentina." And me being from Columbia; what a racist. Or Americanist. Or something.

One part of the dream was helpful. When I woke up, I realized Michael was not on the show anymore!

All these years, I thought he'd just changed his nickname (nobody liked calling him Silly Millie) gotten

a Nero hair cut and a fabulous facelift -- pity, I was hoping to use Michael's surgeon this birthday --

but I am intrigued that this Zac is actually a whole new person. (And I do prefer Zac's name to

Michael's. "Zac" sounds so fresh -- like the name of a private label, high end vodka my set -- the

18--to ahem year old girls -- would use on a Greek tycoon's yacht on the Black Sea while cuddling Chinese pandas -- so fresh, fresh, fresh!)

This is one of the most outstanding things I've ever read.

• Love 6

It's always interesting to watch the end parts of PR, since there's very little drama on the contestant end of the spectrum, and you kind of realize how tame these people are compared to other reality shows.

I'm usually pretty good at picking who is the favorite coming into the show - however, this season was such a mishamash I'm a little stumped. I guess they're making it harder for us now, eh?

Char has been steadily increasing in her Talking Head appearances ever since Korinagate. She's probably a top contender for the winning position, since she's got every reality-tv-wünderkind written all over her face. I'm a mixed race person myself, but I am always entertained by how African-Americans are portrayed on television, especially when presented to mixed demographics. We either get crazy voodoo madness (coughKeithcough) or ghetto Cinderalla. Obviously, Char is getting the Cinderalla edit, so of course we get to hear about her painful past, which truthfully is pretty sad, but is being exploited by the producers. On a whole, I find her clothes to lack a certain je ne sais quoi which distinguishes ready-to-wear/street clothing vs. runway. Her patterns cuts are simple, even utilitarian in nature - her three final pieces looked too much like student work. I wasn't too crazy about this so-called 'expensive' fabric she bought in that AMAZING store in Rome - how much was that stuff??? Maybe it was the way she handled it - it just looked cheap and busy.

Amanda is another special pet of the editing room. I'm on an on-off system with her. I can see where some people can misinterpret her behavior as fake or phony, but I think a lot of her personality ticks comes from having been raised in an eccentric family with a famous sibling. I hated her and Michelle (vomit) on their season, mainly because I felt like she leeched herself onto Michelle, or allowed Michelle to cow her into doing so. Whichever way, she was completely forgettable on her original season - which now seeing her isn't much of a surprise. That was an ugly period for PR, and one I hope shall never be repeated.

Kini (sp?) - I'm not surprised he got designer's block when he got home. There's a major difference between being a good patternmaker/sewer and a good designer. I didn't like ANYTHING he did for his final collecton. What is his fascination with denim? Why? It doesn't look good. It doesn't interpret well on the runway, even though you will see it every once-in-a-while (Diesel does it, Moschino and Dolce & Gabanna tried for one season) when a house wants to attract a certain type of client. His last outfit was so overworked, it looked like the denim version of the Wicked Witch minus the hat, broom, and goat. His family was cute though.

Shaun seems like a sweet person - he's got all the freshness of a boy swooped off of a quiet farm and dumped into the nitty gritty of the real world. He did scare me, though, with that funny cabbage patch that was growing on his face. Has he ever made any snarky comments about any of the other contestants? Now I think of it, I have rarely heard him utter a single criticism that was intended to hurt more than help. Yes, he has said things about Sandhya and others, but it was never deliberately self-serving in nature. Onto his clothes - beautiful draping, but he needs to chill out on the fringe. I hope he doesn't do an all-fringe collection - Nina would die of an heartattack. His clothes are somewhere between soft modernity, like Nina Ricci or Dries van Noten, mixed in with a little eccentricity I find in a lot of Japanese designers. Not everybody could wear his stuff, but I could totally see his clothes on the red carpet or any of those swanky places famous people go to get their pictures taken.

• Love 1

I agree that Char is out of her depth.  Char to me is a stylist more than a designer.  She has a good sense of style, but not a good sense of design, and yes both things are different.  

I totally agree.  She might have a "vision" but her sense of design is weak, pairing it with a lack of sewing skills result in a messy mess.  She's my least favorite.  It's such a shame to waste $1000 worth of material (brought back from Italy) on a meh romper.

• Love 2

I always thought Kini's taste was questionable, but his mad sewing skills pulled his ass out of those pressure ridden challenges every episode.  However, unlike say Christian Siriano who  was also an insane technician,  Kini lacks a genuine designer vision.  Unless Denim is considered his mantra.

In revisiting Leanne's stuff, this purple dress sure reminds me of Char's skirt with the questionably-added welt pocket. But I just think, "nothing new under the sun". http://www.pleatfarm.com/2009/08/31/leanne-marshall-fall-0910/

Now, I know it could be the editing on the shots of Leann's dresses, but those pics point out another thing that separates the two (and brings Char's down a notch - or 12 - for me). Fabric choices. Also applies to the blue dress from Char's collection (that may or may not summon visions of Leann. Same fabric contrast can be applied if it does.).

I mourn what happened to that beautiful Italian print that Char bought as I type that.

It's not ALL an issue of fabric, but it is a contributor for me.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 1

It was in teaching a friend to sew that I realized one of those things that can only be learned by trial and error is fabric choice (or you could say garment choice... for a certain fabric such a la the Italian print). I am thinking of that "home-made" church rummage sale look to my early projects, where the weights are all mixed up, or badly distributed.  I think maybe Char needs to do a lot more of a wider variety for longer to really get it. 

Man, seeing Kprina's collection against Char's, I am so mad at her for that she submitted to her own weaker instincts.

Gotta tell you though:  I was born in Detroit -  and am sad at how dismal life is for those who remain, trying to build it back. I don't know how many hard-working people will never get out of there and see Rome, so I am glad she did. There! I said it!

Edited by Gumby
  • Love 2

Gotta tell you though:  I was born in Detroit -  and am sad at how dismal life is for those who remain, trying to build it back. I don't know how many hard-working people will never get out of there and see Rome, so I am glad she did. There! I said it!

I know another guy from that area, and I'm always impressed with his positive attitude and commitment to bettering himself.  He never has excuses, he is always pressing ahead, and I admire that, and see a lot of the same traits in Char.  I am super glad she got to see Rome too, because I think it might have made more of an impact on her than anyone else.

• Love 1