Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E13: Finale, Part 1

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

As people grow older, one finds women want to feel sexy and joyful no matter what their age.  It isn't something limited to the young.  When some of the age snobs pass a certain line on the timeline, they will find their disdain moderates, unless they try to cling to their youth which often results in sad and unflattering choices.  Unfortunately the judges on Project Runway seem to be stuck in their time delusion where everyone else ages but they do not.  I know, for myself alone, given any choices I would pick the colorful side of Hawaii rather than the dark side Kini has chosen, I would rather have the flowing colors of Uli than the drab shades of Amanda, I would rather have a nice fitting and flattering pant rather than the too tight shorts of Char, and I definitely would not want Sean's fringe that would attract the attention of cats.

P.S. I have cats.  They would love the fringe. It wouldn't last long.

Edited by dialyn
  • Love 8

I'm not impressed by any of the mini collections. Amanda's stuff has bored me to death. I don't get a 70's vibe from them, I get more of a 60's hippie - commune vibe. That said, I would be tempted to buy the jewelry she made. There, IMHO, she showed the creativity that I haven't really seen in her clothes ( well, maybe her yeti-to-wear stuff showed a spark.)

• Love 4

Because, god knows, old ladies never buy clothes or spend money on anything other than orthopedic shoes and support hose.

I'm hardly a young filly but I know good design and quality when I see it--and am willing to pay for it. Kini's stuff, overall seems to veer to the conservative side of things, something a large number of people prefer and would, IMO, be a success in many venues. Good quality, wearable with a nice design esthetic and creativity.

Idiots.

As people grow older, one finds women want to feel sexy and joyful no matter what their age.  It isn't something limited to the young.  When some of the age snobs pass a certain line on the timeline, they will find their disdain moderates, unless they try to cling to their youth which often results in sad and unflattering choices.  Unfortunately the judges on Project Runway seem to be stuck in their time delusion where everyone else ages but they do not.

The judges know that there is a market for clothing designed for conservative older women but that is not what drives the fashion industry. Our society is obsessed with youth and beauty; and our standard or beauty keeps the two inextricably linked. The fashion and beauty industries market and sell youth. Selling clothing to young women and older women who want to be young drive the industry. 

• Love 2

I liked 2 of Char's looks although I could never wear the shorts.  But I think some younger girls would.  

Kini is my favorite designer this season but I want to know who would ever wear his clothes.  Why is he so stuck on denin.  That coat was a monstrosity.

And sean and his fringe need to stop.  Who would buy and how do you clean it.

Amanda's clothes are actually the old lady clothes.  That's exactly what I would wear and I'm 52 LOL.

There's no innovation in any of the collections.  

And Mary Kay really?  

Edited by angelita100
  • Love 1

Kini's styling was not the judge's central criticism. His collection read old. Kini mentioned that he had come to the conclusion that he was a fussy designer. The last thing that the judges want is a somber fussy old lady collection. They want young, sexy, joyful.

But that "old lady" critique seemed to be based on the styling - straight flat hair, really heavy eye makeup, the accessories.  Over and over and over they said that the clothing was good, with the exception of the coat (which Nina said was good, but just didn't fit the other two looks) and that the skirt with the white top should be changed to leggings/shorts.  I didn't like Kini's collection, but I hardly thought it got eviscerated by the judges.

• Love 2

I can say one thing the designers are better at acting excited than I would be.

When they ushered me into that closet they called a hotel room. I would have taken one look and said oh hell no!

Don't get me wrong I would have been excited as hell to be in Rome, but really Best Western is that the best you could do?! Not exactly going to make travelers flock to stay there.

• Love 2

I can say one thing the designers are better at acting excited than I would be.

When they ushered me into that closet they called a hotel room. I would have taken one look and said oh hell no!

Don't get me wrong I would have been excited as hell to be in Rome, but really Best Western is that the best you could do?! Not exactly going to make travelers flock to stay there.

I remember going to Europe and the hotel rooms were relatively small, and we stayed at a 5 star hotel.  I think that may just be the norm for hotel rooms in Europe.  But its tough, because normally if you go with an American chain, like Marriott, the rooms are bigger, because that know that thats what a lot of American travelers are used to.  So I'm not sure if Best Western (Premier!) maybe purchased an already existing hotel and just kept the room sizes the same.

Although, I will say, even if they had me in a room half that size I would be excited.  Its a free trip to Rome!  I'm not going to spend much time in the hotel room!!

• Love 8

sofaslug!! LOL at yeti-to-wear!

Actually, psychedelic yeti and the way she insisted Kini get the win for their team that week, based on his soccer ball dress, is why I would be okay with an Amanda win. Because I honestly think she was the driving force behind that collection. I think it was totally 50/50 on the ideas and the revamp after Tim didn't like it, but I think it all sprang from Amanda's vision, and Kini joyfully, as he mostly always is (joyful, I mean), went along for the ride.

I don't really have a problem with her being on Nashville (the TV series) either... I think she's kind of well known as a stylist in Nashville, and Hayden Panetierre is a big Project Runway fan, so that may be all that is. I don't believe her primary desire is to be an actress.

If we find out later I'm wrong, y'all can pelt me with psychedelic yeti's naturally shed furballs.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 4

But that "old lady" critique seemed to be based on the styling - straight flat hair, really heavy eye makeup, the accessories.  Over and over and over they said that the clothing was good, with the exception of the coat (which Nina said was good, but just didn't fit the other two looks) and that the skirt with the white top should be changed to leggings/shorts.  I didn't like Kini's collection, but I hardly thought it got eviscerated by the judges.

If I remember correctly, Nina also didn't care for Amanda's styling. However, if you compare the feedback that Amanda received and the feedback that Kini received; you will see that there is a clear contrast. They were very enthusiastic about Amanda's designs (minus Nina's comments abt the maxi dress) but they were dismayed by kini's. The judges know that Kini is an impeccable tailor. His clothes are always exceptionally well made and they like that about him. Yet, they were not enthusiastic about the direction that Kini's designs seemed to be taking.  

Is there any way to quit labeling everything drab and unflattering as "old lady" clothes.  No lady of a certain age I know would wear Kini's or Amanda's stuff...I live in Southern California and the clothes tend to be light and bright....well, except for the very young ones who think showing their butt cheeks is attractive and squeezing into sizes too small is flattering (they are clearly advertising for different attention than my group is).  Us old ladies also don't all put make up on with a trowel (in fact, I don't wear make up, so be terrified of me, but most of the women who wear make up in my group use a very light touch). And we don't all chase Botox and surgical answers to the aging process. Really, these stereotypes need to go away.  They are manufactured in the media but don't have much to do with the real life around me.

The problem with the designers is not the woman they are theoretically designing for, but their own mindset.  None of the older women in Kini's family dressed in dark, heavy clothes. He may be in rebellion against them, but his lively elders looked as if they were having a lot of fun in their colorful garb.  Amanda's fascination with the 60's and 70's continues to mystify me...I lived through those periods and not a time I'd care to revisit (except she's sucked all the color from the eras, which is odd).

I seem to be getting less excited by the last episode rather than more.  I admit I don't know fashion so it isn't as if I expect them to reach down to my taste levels, but I do expect to have something that shows they tried, a little. I'm tired of the excuses. Yes, they are tired, they are stressed, and they didn't have enough time...but they couldn't produce just one garment that was a little special?  Just one?

Edited by dialyn
  • Love 10

Actually, psychedelic yeti and the way she insisted Kini get the win for their team that week, based on his soccer ball dress, is why I would be okay with an Amanda win. 

I agree, that was graceful. That said, Amanda's contribution to that team was creating a tshirt, and giving Kini a huge challenge to overcome. Which he did, bless him, but I don't know that her tunnel vision can be given credit for it.

• Love 3

sofaslug!! LOL at yeti-to-wear!

Actually, psychedelic yeti and the way she insisted Kini get the win for their team that week, based on his soccer ball dress, is why I would be okay with an Amanda win. Because I honestly think she was the driving force behind that collection. I think it was totally 50/50 on the ideas and the revamp after Tim didn't like it, but I think it all sprang from Amanda's vision, and Kini joyfully, as he mostly always is (joyful, I mean), went along for the ride.

It was pretty undeniable that Kini deserved to win for the soccer ball dress (which I still hate). I think very people would have been able to stand there and say differently. 

Is there any way to quit labeling everything drab and unflattering as "old lady" clothes.  No lady of a certain age I know would wear Kini's or Amanada's stuff...I live in Southern California and the clothes tend to be light and bright....well, except for the very young ones who think showing their butt cheeks is attractive and squeezing into sizes too small is flattering.

It is insulting and probably somewhat inappropriate. However, it does effectively convey a very specific message.

Edited by cafe au lait
  • Love 1

Yes, that was what I heard.  I was surprised, too, because at first it seemed they were criticizing the clothes themselves, but all their comments focused on styling, except for the coat.  Perhaps there was more we didn't hear, but what went out on the air was critique primarily of hair, make-up, and accessories.  Not that that isn't important - it always seemed to me that styling was why Gretchen won.  Nina commented constantly that season on how good her styling was and how poor others' was.  

• Love 1
This. I just can't even with Char. It's like she's never seen a real collection from a real designer and has no idea what it is to present a cohesive design aesthetic. The way she talks about her approach and her "girl" (shudder) is really disjointed and unclear: just a string of meaningless buzzwords. "She's edgy! She's hot! She's fun!" How is that a design aesthetic? Particularly when she then translates these vague ideas into three pieces that have nothing in common, and bring nothing interesting to the table either individually or collectively. There are certainly things to criticize about all the designers, but at least the others seem to have some kind of vision. Char just seems lost and massively out of her depth.

I was rooting for Char until, at some point, I realized that Char is not a good designer, nor is she a good stylist. She has two looks (too-short romper and one-shoulder dress), neither of which have anything to do with what is going on in fashion today. She is somehow able to style herself pretty well, but everything she has presented on this show has looked like it came from a mall in 2005. She just doesn't have the visual vocabulary of a designer, which you can maybe get away with if you're an outsider artist (like Patricia Michaels or even Sandya) and have a strong point of view that has nothing to do with the fashion industry. But Char doesn't have that either. It's almost like her references come from Bebe or even the clothing section of the Victoria's Secret catalog. What Char needs is some formal training, maybe a scholarship to FIT. She has a great attitude and a lot of potential, but she's not ready for a collection at Fashion Week. 

• Love 6

I'm not sure what to think about anything now because the only thing I've ever thought I would wear in the history of this show was Amanda's print dress. Of course, it would need to have a much less plunging V-neck because I have large breasts, unlike her model, aaaaand, I would probably look like an "ethnic" (TM Nina) parade float in it because I'm nowhere near model size.

Sean, stop making uniforms for communist China factory workers.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 4

Amanda's fascination with the 60's and 70's continues to mystify me...I lived through those periods and not a time I'd care to revisit (except she's sucked all the color from the eras, which is odd).

I was around in the 60's and 70's. I wore clothes then. Amanda, you're no hippie.

They were colorful and fun (aside from my work jeans when I was painting stage scenery, but even they had colorful patches). Amanda's yutz colors don't say 'period' to me, they just say unattractive combinations. In all truth, for someone who seems to love that/those eras, she doesn't understand the period basics and I wonder--I really do--why no tie dye or dyeing of any kind. Perhaps she doesn't know how but it surprises me. Yes, Kini's stuff looked heavy, but so did Amanda's to me. Her black and white middle look--as has been mentioned--has been seen and seen and no one with boobs, aside from a Kardashian, would wear that as it was.

As to the comments regarding the complaints about old lady styling and design; I loath ageism along with most other 'isms', perhaps it has to do with my own age, but I'm not dead yet. I love bright colors, good fabrics, glitz and sparkle, fun detailing and all the rest. I don't know Nina's age (40's?) but I truly find the repeated comments insulting and offensive.

• Love 7

I really like Sean and I liked his white dress last week and the designs this week.  My mileage does vary I guess.  

Regarding Kini, that was harsh.  Not that I disagreed with the judges, but he was so broken!  I thought it was telling that he didn't have anything done when Tim came to visit.  Creator's block, yes, and I think he was really overthinking instead of just having fun and going with his first instincts like he seemed to do all season.  He's been one of my favorites.  And apparently, he's not all wrong since there are several articles about denim being the trend for Spring 2015.  Here is just one of them:

http://news.instyle.com/2014/09/27/spring-2015-trend-alert-fresh-takes-on-denim/

I thought both Char and Amanda's were okay.  The last maxi that Amanda sent out was almost exactly like the one she won with a few weeks ago.  Except more polished and in different, darker colors.  It worked better for me this week.  Loved her jewelry.  And agree with others that she has become far less grating personality wise.  I liked several of Char's pieces, but it was definitely the most likely to be already seen in a mall.

And thanks to someone for reminding me that I spent the first half of the episode wondering if this was some spin-off pilot for Tim Gunn:  Come Tour With Me!

eta: Cuz I can't type.

Edited by JenMcSnark

Nina's 49.

I was around in the 70s also and while I remember fondly, as you guys do, too, the tie dye and bright colours, there was also a LOT of fashion that was earth toned and I guess you could call it drab. Lots of menswear type looks (think Bianca Jagger), fedoras (not all with feathers!) and strappy earth toned platform sandals.

My favourite outfit was a really cool suit with bellbottom pants that had a cuff and a little vest underneath the blazer. It was tan (no fancy colour names; we called it tan in the 70s). For work, I wore it with a plain black shirt and to go out, I'd take off the shirt to show a little cleavage!! Most of us had our natural boobs back then, so when I say a little cleavage, I mean a little cleavage.

Amanda's work reminds me more of the 70s than Gretchen's did, but it kind of gives me a good feeling, whereas I was always pissed whenever Gretchen's name was mentioned. I think her collection is definitely 70s inspired, but I do see some bit of updating. I like the jewelry okay too; to me, that was obviously inspired by her falling eyeballs dress from the rainway. That said, it's not the most innovative thing ever, but I'd still be okay with her winning, especially this season.

I almost forgot to say earlier, I think the judges actually did Kini a great favour by being so harsh with him. The thing I hated was how gutted he was and he looked like he was about to pass out. I did love Char going over to him to comfort him. But can you imagine if he had gone out for his show, cold, with that styling? He would have been the first one sent home. I'm hoping that by making it such a big part of the story, it means next week he's either winning or he'll be the first runner up.

The only ones whose win/s would make me unhappy would be Char or Sean. Not because I hate them; I just don't think they're as talented as Kini and Amanda. Kini with execution and Amanda with her hippie dippy vision. Sean seems to only be able to do fringe and white and Char is just not ready.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 3

I was rooting for Char until, at some point, I realized that Char is not a good designer, nor is she a good stylist. She has two looks (too-short romper and one-shoulder dress), neither of which have anything to do with what is going on in fashion today. She is somehow able to style herself pretty well, but everything she has presented on this show has looked like it came from a mall in 2005. She just doesn't have the visual vocabulary of a designer, which you can maybe get away with if you're an outsider artist (like Patricia Michaels or even Sandya) and have a strong point of view that has nothing to do with the fashion industry. But Char doesn't have that either. It's almost like her references come from Bebe or even the clothing section of the Victoria's Secret catalog. What Char needs is some formal training, maybe a scholarship to FIT. She has a great attitude and a lot of potential, but she's not ready for a collection at Fashion Week. 

I mentioned this before. After exploring what the some of the more established designers presented and judging from some of the fashion week 2014 trends; Char and Sean are the two designers who actually do have a great "hold" on what is actually going on in fashion today. 

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/fashion-week/top-spring-2014-runway-trends#slide-49

Edited by cafe au lait
  • Love 2

By all means, let's keep excusing Char and her blatant, pathetic rip off of Leanne Marshall.

at some point in this competition every one of the designers in the final four has been accused of ripping off of someone else.  I'm starting to take it all with a grain of salt.  

The only times you really don't hear that something is a rip off is when its just unfortunate, like Sandaya's onesie for the good ship lollipop.

I mentioned this before. After exploring what the some of the more established designers presented and judging from some of the fashion week 2014 trends; Char and Sean are the two designers who actually do have a great "hold" on what is actually going on in fashion today. 

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/fashion-week/top-spring-2014-runway-trends#slide-49

I liked Char's stuff - I get concerned when there is a point of view that fashion can't have more than a few points of view.  There is that Brooklyn, New York "fly girl" and I don't think she needs to be ignored because she doesn't want to wear a modified nurses uniform, an Inspector Gadget coat, or a boho chic dress.  I think catering to that girl is just as important as catering to the Upper East Side heiresses.

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 7

Well - that was disappointing (as expected). Sean's was a snoozefest, Char's is Forever 21 gone hoochie, Kini's is Victorian womenwear (that coat dress was horrid), and Amanda's is Gretchen 2.0 minus the bitchiness. Like Gretchen's inexplicable win, I predict Amanda's going to end up on top in this crapfest.

However, the worst part of this freakshow for me has to be the Best Western infomercial. It's so obvious that they aren't even trying to make it at all relevant to the show material. If there's any trace of doubt that Tim has sold the last remaining trace of his dignity for a paycheque, it all evaporated after seeing him shill for BW.

I'm just glad this season is over soon.

• Love 2

I don't think anyone's saying a "fly girl type" customer should be ignored. I FLOVED Kimberley G's collection from season 9. She actually grew up in Brooklyn, before the gentrification, so hers was very urban and I loved the whole thing, even the bubble skirt. I could never wear that, but for the right customer, it was awesome.

Emilio's was an urban collection also and Kors HATED it: the colours, the separates, almost everything. I liked that one, too.

I don't feel not liking Char's collection says that we don't believe an urban, fly girl can't wear pretty things, cool things, nice things, stylish things, too. I just don't see that many (not all, cause I liked a couple of her pieces) of Char's designs ARE edgy, pretty, cool, stylish, or, from a Kini tip, well sewn, even.

Doesn't mean I don't think Char's probably a nice person. I loved her family and they love her, so I'm pretty sure she, herself, is cool. Her designs aren't always, though.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 3

I agree, that was graceful. That said, Amanda's contribution to that team was creating a tshirt, and giving Kini a huge challenge to overcome. Which he did, bless him, but I don't know that her tunnel vision can be given credit for it.

No, she decided the entire aesthetic vocabulary of their mini-collection, i.e. she was the designer and Kini was her assistant.  She in fact saved Kini from his usual soporific, tedious blandness by keeping him from getting some boring fabric.

It was pretty undeniable that Kini deserved to win for the soccer ball dress (which I still hate). I think very people would have been able to stand there and say differently. 

I would, I did at the time, and I'm saying it again right now.  Amanda obviously, clearly, undeniably deserved that win.

(Mods if you'd like to move this to that episode's thread?  I don't know how--is there a way to bring quotes over?)

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 1

I don't think anyone's saying a "fly girl type" customer should be ignored. I FLOVED Kimberley G's collection from season 9. She actually grew up in Brooklyn, before the gentrification, so hers was very urban and I loved the whole thing, even the bubble skirt. I could never wear that, but for the right customer, it was awesome.

Emilio's was an urban collection also and Kors HATED it: the colours, the separates, almost everything. I liked that one, too.

I don't feel not liking Char's collection says that we don't believe an urban, fly girl can't wear pretty things, cool things, nice things, stylish things, too. I just don't see that many (not all, cause I liked a couple of her pieces) of Char's designs ARE edgy, pretty, cool, stylish, or, from a Kini tip, well sewn, even.

Doesn't mean I don't think Char's probably a nice person. I loved her family and they love her, so I'm pretty sure she, herself, is cool. Her designs aren't always, though.

I would agree with that for about 75-90% of the stuff that Char has made this season.  It has not been that exciting, and some of it has been downright bad (the red suit for the muse was an especial fail for me).  But I see the stuff in her runway collection, and I see things that are more "fly girl" and I can see more of her voice.  She has been pretty bad most of the season, but her runway mini collection I thought did a good job of showing her voice.  It is fly girl going to hit up the clubs in the Carribean, or she is flying to St. Barts and she thinks she is going to be on a yacht.  In the first jacket, she is doing her street style thing, maybe she is wearing it with a pair of sneakers.  But I think automatically dismissing her looks in this runway collection as "hoochie" or "slutty" isn't really fair.  The clothes I saw on the runway two nights ago didn't look poorly constructed, everything looked like it fit well and was well made.  I think of Char's girl as that girl from that LL Cool J song "'Round the Way Girl"  What would she be wearing if she was going on vacation?  That romper.  What would she wear if she was just trying to look like she wasn't trying?  The first look. The dress, while well made, had no place in the collection, LL Cool J's girl wouldn't wear that anywhere.

I too, wish the save had been used on Fade, but I try to give credit where its due, and I thought her stuff looked nice, and I don't think fashion always needs to about about keeping out certain points of view, and only allowing that the customers that exist are boho chic, Upper East Side, and ladies who lunch.  I also like fashion that is accessible to some degree as well, so I don't mind that some things on the runway are going to be things I could see in a store.

And I'm not saying that its you in particular, I get where you're coming from, MV on fashion, but I get the impression that for some there is only room for some points of view, and I find that unfortunate.

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 3

at some point in this competition every one of the designers in the final four has been accused of ripping off of someone else.  I'm starting to take it all with a grain of salt.  

The only times you really don't hear that something is a rip off is when its just unfortunate, like Sandaya's onesie for the good ship lollipop.

I liked Char's stuff - I get concerned when there is a point of view that fashion can't have more than a few points of view.  There is that Brooklyn, New York "fly girl" and I don't think she needs to be ignored because she doesn't want to wear a modified nurses uniform, an Inspector Gadget coat, or a boho chic dress.  I think catering to that girl is just as important as catering to the Upper East Side heiresses.

I personally didn't remember Leanne Marshall and I'm sure that most viewers including Char don't remember her either. She was 8 seasons ago and not a memorable contestant. I had honestly forgotten that she even existed. According to the PR website, Seth Aaron, is Chars favorite PR designer. 

I would, I did at the time, and I'm saying it again right now.  Amanda obviously, clearly, undeniably deserved that win.

That competition's runway favorite (the hideous soccer ball dress) was neither Amanda's idea; nor was it her design. She did not  and probably could not sew it. I can't imagine why she would have been given the win. As someone already pointed out; the only thing that she did was handicap them with her choice of storage unit. Amanda was very lucky to have had the one person who can not only sew anything but do it at record speed on her team. 

• Love 5

To me it makes sense for the person who was the driving force behind the overall design be rewarded for its success.  That's how it used to work, the team leader would win or be sent home.  The fact that Amanda is the one who chose the storage unit and wanted the yeti painting to be the cornerstone of their collection is I think undisputed.  She did not handicap them, as they won on the strength of the transformation that they judges always want out of an unconventional materials challenge and the power of Psychedelic Yeti.  Without her picking that unit, there would be no soccer ball dress.  Kini given his druthers would have gotten a bunch of drab neutrals like Korina and Emily and made some boring coat I could buy right now from the nearest Marshall's.  Kini was very lucky that he had the one person with a clear, strong vision, and the decisiveness to act on it, on his team.

Also, Leanne is the best designer this show has ever seen.  At least we agree the soccer ball dress was hideous!

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 2

I was around in the 70s also and while I remember fondly, as you guys do, too, the tie dye and bright colours, there was also a LOT of fashion that was earth toned and I guess you could call it drab. Lots of menswear type looks (think Bianca Jagger), fedoras (not all with feathers!) and strappy earth toned platform sandals.

I was born in the mid-seventies, my sister a couple of years older, and apart from white clothes and a romper with red elephants, our baby clothes were rather dark: lots of brown and dark orange. My mom wore a lot of darker dresses back then with different patterns. This is not something I remember though, but it seems like fairly typical clothes when I look at baby pictures.

Tie dye was the sixties and early seventies. The late seventies were disco. The space in between was pretty drab, except for Cher.

I still think, though, that what Amanda thinks she knows about the seventies is what was available in the thrift shops of an observant mormon community in Nebraska two decades later, and that her "girl" is as untenably microtargeted as Char's.

• Love 5

I loved Leeann Marshall's final collection. Shades of blue and white and cream and those lovely petals. Her wedding dress finale was beautiful and there was another ball gown in a shade of turquoise that just blew me away.

• Love 7

I am not sure what you are referring to when you use the term urban because Emilio's collection was not "urban" nor edgy nor "fly girl". His collection was inspired by his mom and it was quite conservative. The judges criticized him for being too "safe" and too commercial. His collection needed some edge. Nina criticized him for having designed a entire line, instead of a collection. 

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/video/season-7/episode-14/emilio-sosas-runway-show-at-fashion-week

To me it makes sense for the person who was the driving force behind the overall design be rewarded for its success.  That's how it used to work, the team leader would win or be sent home.  The fact that Amanda is the one who chose the storage unit and wanted the yeti painting to be the cornerstone of their collection is I think undisputed.  She did not handicap them, as they won on the strength of the transformation that they judges always want out of an unconventional materials challenge and the power of Psychedelic Yeti.  Without her picking that unit, there would be no soccer ball dress.  Kini given his druthers would have gotten a bunch of drab neutrals like Korina and Emily and made some boring coat I could buy right now from the nearest Marshall's.  Kini was very lucky that he had the one person with a clear, strong vision, and the decisiveness to act on it, on his team.

For the team challenges there is often one person who does more than their share of the work. That person is often the team leader. They do more than their share of the work because they don't want their vision to fail. Had Amanda done more work than Kini I might agree with you but she did not. Given the contents of the unit, had she not had Kini to work with; she would have been royally screwed.

If they had chosen a better unit. By the time Tim Gunn showed up to critique; Kini would have had a entire collection designed and completed. He would have had time to really create something beautiful instead of the soccer ball creation. 

Also, Leanne is the best designer this show has ever seen.

That right there my friend is some Tim Gunn style hyperbole. She seemed like a really nice girl though.

Edited by cafe au lait
  • Love 1

For the team challenges there is often one person who does more than their share of the work. That person is often the team leader. They do more than their share of the work because they don't want their vision to fail. Had Amanda done more work than Kini I might agree with you but she did not. Given the contents of the unit, had she not had Kini to work with; she would have been royally screwed.

If they had chosen a better unit. By the time Tim Gunn showed up to critique; Kini would have had a entire collection designed and completed. He would have had time to really create something beautiful instead of the soccer ball creation. 

That right there my friend is some Tim Gunn style hyperbole. She seemed like a really nice girl though.

I wish we could have spent that episode's thread talking about this, instead of Korina!  This is much more fun.

Kini has never made something beautiful, only something well-sewn.  (Amanda hasn't either; but that's not the issue.)  Certainly he would not have with the contents of any other unit.  When I say the leader, at least, I don't mean "person who has done the most" but "person who leads", and Amanda was that.  It did seem to be a pretty smooth and harmonious collaboration, but as Amanda chose the direction and aesthetic, which is what a designer does, I call her the leader.  If it had been a tiny runway show for a tiny company, Amanda would have come out for the bow at the end. 

As for Leanne, I have always said that about her since she was on, and I have never changed my mind; and since that was as you say eight seasons ago, at least I am not suffering the recency bias or whatever it is that makes Tim say that it's the best group ever each season.  Someone has to be the best; in my opinion it is Leanne.  Maybe you say Jay, or Christian, or Uli, or whoever, but for me it is Leanne by a country mile.  Very few designers from this show cut clothes with any creativity at all, it's all kind of patternmaking 101, except for Leanne.  I'm from what I might call the 'engineering' the school of thought, which stretches from Vionnet to Junya Watanabe, that cutting is the primary interest of fashion design, so for me Leanne is the best.

• Love 4

I wish we could have spent that episode's thread talking about this, instead of Korina!  This is much more fun.

Kini has never made something beautiful, only something well-sewn.  (Amanda hasn't either; but that's not the issue.)  Certainly he would not have with the contents of any other unit.  When I say the leader, at least, I don't mean "person who has done the most" but "person who leads", and Amanda was that.  It did seem to be a pretty smooth and harmonious collaboration, but as Amanda chose the direction and aesthetic, which is what a designer does, I call her the leader.  If it had been a tiny runway show for a tiny company, Amanda would have come out for the bow at the end. 

As for Leanne, I have always said that about her since she was on, and I have never changed my mind; and since that was as you say eight seasons ago, at least I am not suffering the recency bias or whatever it is that makes Tim say that it's the best group ever each season.  Someone has to be the best; in my opinion it is Leanne.  Maybe you say Jay, or Christian, or Uli, or whoever, but for me it is Leanne by a country mile.  Very few designers from this show cut clothes with any creativity at all, it's all kind of patternmaking 101, except for Leanne.  I'm from what I might call the 'engineering' the school of thought, which stretches from Vionnet to Junya Watanabe, that cutting is the primary interest of fashion design, so for me Leanne is the best.

Ummm I think that you're selling Kini short and over selling Leanne. My point was that normally the person who has the vision does the majority of the work or certainly more than their share. Because of that, most everyone agrees that person deserves the win. That wasn't the case in this challenge. They followed Amanda's direction or vision and because of that, they had to start over. Without Kini. I don't know that Amanda would have pulled that challenge off. Had her partner been unable to regroup and recover; I don't know that Amanda's garments were strong enough to win the challenge on their own. I believe also that given that same storage unit but another partner; Kini would have still turned out the soccer ball dress. He didn't necessarily need  Amanda's direction. Which is why Kini still deserves the win.

I'm going to go back and take another look at Leanne; she deserves another chance to impress me. LOL 

Edited by cafe au lait
  • Love 2

I personally didn't remember Leanne Marshall and I'm sure that most viewers including Char don't remember her either. She was 8 seasons ago and not a memorable contestant. I had honestly forgotten that she even existed. 

I don't spend any part of my waking hours thinking of Leanne Marshall, but when I first saw Char's teal-with-petals, my mind immediately went to Leanne.  Except that Leanne's petals were done about 1000 times better. 

I don't think the span of time has much to do with whom we remember.  Jay, Jeffrey and Christian, whom I think just about everyone remembers, won their seasons earlier than Leanne, and I think even most people recognize the names of Korto and Kenley who were also in her finale.  In fact, I'd say that most of the earlier winners are infinitely more memorable than many of the later winners.  And people like Gretchen are only memorable for all the wrong reasons.

• Love 1

(Mods if you'd like to move this to that episode's thread?  I don't know how--is there a way to bring quotes over?)

Yes, 2 easy ways.  1) Click the quote button at the bottom of the post you want to quote.  Go to the thread you want to reply in, and click the "Reply to 1 quoted post" button that reappears.  (it disappears when not in a thread).  or 2) quote the post in the current thread and reply with "Replying in XXX thread" and go reply over there.

This might have worked back in the day for, say, Austin Scarlet, Elise, or Santino (maybe), when the designers had a memorable personality.  The choices for the past two times were either insulting (Ken) or bland (Amanda).

Memorable personalities, yes.  Also (IMO) more talented.  I was never a Santino fan, but his designs had some personality, too. 

Wasn't he the one that used to do the Tim Gunn impersonations and would do whole conversations between Tim and this other designer? Used to crack me up.

I really don't believe Char's turquoise dress was influenced by Leanne, unless it was maybe subconsciously.

I could be wrong though.

Psychedelic Yeti for the win!!!! Yay, it's almost over. This time next week, we'll be champing at the bit to bitch about Michelle and Helen (ugh).

• Love 1
at some point in this competition every one of the designers in the final four has been accused of ripping off of someone else.

I'm surprised no one else has noted the similarity between the white mullet vest in Char's studio and the white jacket Korina made for the wedding challenge. That cumbersome, clunky, double lapel was awful. In both instances.

I really don't believe Char's turquoise dress was influenced by Leanne, unless it was maybe subconsciously.

In my opinion that turquoise dress looked more influenced by t-shirts that have been redesigned by cutting slits and twisting them around.  I said before that I thought Char had a future as a neighborhood dressmaker because I can really see her making made to order prom and formal wear for the high school set, but I can also imagine her designing for the kinds of stores one finds along the beach in tourist areas that cater to the spring break crowd.  There's a market for both.  I just don't think anything she has shown elevates her above anything that is already available, and certainly not anything that the high fashion crowd would be eager to wear.

Edited by ichbin
  • Love 3

I like Kini, and I do feel for him, but I think his work is awful. Yes, he's a fabulous constructionist, but his clothes are dated, heavy and over-structured. If they make tall, skinny models look huge--how are they going to look on an average woman? I  thought the coat would have been interesting in a lighter fabric and a color--like crimson. Instead, it looked a hearse rolling down the runway. I like Amanda because I think she's a genuinely nice person and she has an orange tabby cat (so do I!), and I loved her street chic look, but overall--I'm underwhelmed. I thought the jewelry looked like a craft project. I also don't get the Sean love. His clothes are boooring. And Tim tells him to use more of his trademark fringe, but Nina tells him not to. Designers have trademarks--that's his. The collection is supposed to look cohesive, so what's wrong with building it around fringe? Char's stuff--strictly TJ Maax markdown rack. And what is UP with her doing those short-shorts all the time. Who wears those?  As others have said, I am underwhelmed with all of them. I thought Fade was the best designer, and they sent him home long ago. 

But on a catty note--did anyone notice that when they repeated the last few episodes, they COMPLETELY toned down Korina's bitch edit? When they aired a second time, they were different edits. She didn't say "It's not about you" to Char or do the big stomp-off down the hall after refusing to work with her. She still came across as a brat--you can't fix that in an edit--but they really toned her down. I wonder why? Also, they showed in the reunion show that she is going to once again cry and stomp off. In the good news dept., Dimitri is going to be on the New All-Stars! Love me my Dimitri. This new "Threads" show with child designers...eh. My jury's out on that one. 

• Love 2

They followed Amanda's direction or vision and because of that, they had to start over. Without Kini. I don't know that Amanda would have pulled that challenge off. Had her partner been unable to regroup and recover; I don't know that Amanda's garments were strong enough to win the challenge on their own. I believe also that given that same storage unit but another partner; Kini would have still turned out the soccer ball dress. He didn't necessarily need  Amanda's direction. Which is why Kini still deserves the win.

They didn't really have to start over; Tim Gunn told them to rethink because, just like with Sandhya, he was befuddled by their choices and direction (one thing Tim Gunn will never be is a devotee to Psychedelic Yeti) but frankly I disagreed with him and I think they would have been better off ignoring his advice.  In any case it was not starting over but just re-mixing some elements.  I see what you're saying about the soccer ball dress, but I imagine, given Kini's proclivity towards the boringest possible choice, it would have ended up an all black-and-white collection, or something, and the soccer ball dress or skirt would not have been balanced by the bright crazy colors, which at the very least helped their collection stand out from the drab pack.

• Love 1

Oh how wish Tim had saved Fade.  Fade had a much clearer point of view as a designer than Char.  I find Sean to be a complete and total snoozefest.  Sandyha was odd and out there, but her stuff was never dull.  I would have much rather preferred to have seen her collection than Sean's of Char's.  

Remember that optical illusion dress of Fade's? It was SUBLIME, like air. The way it moved was liquescent. And so effortless and understated.  He reminded me a lot of  Dimitri. He was my favorite by far. 

• Love 5

But on a catty note--did anyone notice that when they repeated the last few episodes, they COMPLETELY toned down Korina's bitch edit? When they aired a second time, they were different edits. She didn't say "It's not about you" to Char or do the big stomp-off down the hall after refusing to work with her. She still came across as a brat--you can't fix that in an edit--but they really toned her down. I wonder why? Also, they showed in the reunion show that she is going to once again cry and stomp off. 

Hmm, that's weird. Maybe some of her cattier/brattier actions just ended up being some of the stuff cut out in the re-airs, since the re-airs are always a 1/2 hour shorter than the first time they aired. 

I like Amanda because I think she's a genuinely nice person and she has an orange tabby cat (so do I!)

I loooove orange cats too! If next episode, we can just get intermittent updates on what that orange cat is up to, I'd be down with that. =D

• Love 2

Hmm, that's weird. Maybe some of her cattier/brattier actions just ended up being some of the stuff cut out in the re-airs, since the re-airs are always a 1/2 hour shorter than the first time they aired. 

Hmm, I watch online, which means it's the 60-minute version, but when I watched it did have the "it's not about you" line and the "LOOK HOW LONG IT TAKES KORINA TO WALK DOWN A HALLWAY ISN'T SHE A HORRIBLE BITCH???" nonsense.  It's very interesting if it's been cut out since.

Ummm I think that you're selling Kini short and over selling Leanne. My point was that normally the person who has the vision does the majority of the work or certainly more than their share. Because of that, most everyone agrees that person deserves the win. That wasn't the case in this challenge. They followed Amanda's direction or vision and because of that, they had to start over.

In the "real world", the leader is the person with the vision, and the person who does the most work is the for-hire seamster, which is exactly how I saw the Amanda/Kini relationship play itself out. That isn't to say that Kini is a poor designer, but he was clearly out of his element working with such bright, plastic materials and allowed Amanda to make most of the conceptual decisions while he offered his sewing skills. It was a wonderful partnership, but in the real world, Amanda would have taken home the fatter paycheque.

Now, in the Project Runway context, I didn't question Kini's win. The judges' favorite piece was the Soccer Ball dress that Kini was responsible for, and this challenge did not have designated leaders, so it was a reasonable decision. That said, if the team had been on the bottom, Amanda would have been sent home for her "vision", so I would have liked to see her also reap the benefits for her risk. But c'est la vie - it wasn't nearly as egregious as Helen winning for the Sombrero dress that had Kate written all over it.

• Love 5