Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: The Hook Up Reverberation

How did the comic book store get resolved?  I know the main quartet didn't invest, but did Debbie actually end up being Stuart's bankroll?

I like Kale's short hair so much better!  It really suits her face.  Having an earlier season episode right after the new one made me realize how ratty and fake her long 'blonde' hair was looking.

So sick of the whole "Comics are for children" crap this show keeps pushing. It's a medium, not a genre, and even if comics were solely targeting the 10-15 demographic (which is absurd, there's a comic called "Sex" for Christ's sake) it would hardly be the first time adults decided to recognize quality over consumerism and enjoy "kid stuff" for it's own merits, otherwise YA franchises would not be best sellers nor their film counterparts blockbusters. And, for that matter, I saw plenty of adults who were NOT accompanying children at all the comic book films I saw the past year, so why are the films given a pass but the source material derided? This site has an entire forum dedicated to comic books, don't tell me they're all <18. And this show uses comics and all that is associated with them to illustrate how childish and stunted these men are, but really, they're accomplished professionals with strong friendships and (problematic, but we'll save that for another post) relationships. Everyone has hobbies, it's part of being a well-rounded, happy, interesting person. So, truly, if the show wants me to mock or deride these guys for spending a load of money on Comic-Con or playing Quidditch in the park, they'll need to first show--not tell--me how that's somehow weird or inferior to spending a load of money on football tickets or joining a fantasy league.

• Love 10

I wish someone had mentioned the most obvious reason why it was a bad idea to invest in the store - that it had been doing really poorly financially before the fire. Sure, they could have amped up the marketing a bit, but unless they regularly sourced collector's items and had celebrity appearances (e.g. Stan Lee), I don't think they would have made enough money to break even.

• Love 11

Not another comic book store for Stuart.  His old store sucked the life right out of him.  Him living in the store out of necessity. The store damage and insurance check were a blessing in disguise.  Stuart's life seemed to be going much better.  Now he is going back into the biz which made his life miserable, but now Debbie is his partner.  This could lead to trouble!

• Love 4

The last show I hate-watched was How I Met Your Mother and we all know how that worked out. I am beginning to actively hate this show it's so bad.

Penny's got mountains of credit card debt and never told the man she's marrying. And Bernie is still a bitch. She could've found another way to say no.

For the first time ever,I said "I hate this show " right out loud. This had better turn around or I'm done.

• Love 2
Penny's got mountains of credit card debt and never told the man she's marrying.

Obviously it's very important to discuss finances before marriage, but I'm sure Leonard knows on some level. For years, Penny was a part-time waitress and struggling actress, and for what was at least six months in show time, she's had no income at all. I'd be more surprised if she didn't have debt.

• Love 8

And Bernie is still a bitch. She could've found another way to say no.

I just hate her so much. Her emasculating Howard at every turn is not cute, show. Yes I know she makes more money and Howard has proven he can't be trusted but still...her complete bitchiness is so not funny.

And oh look, something else for Leonard to be miserable about with Penny. Yay.

Her hair did look better this week but personally I still hate it.

Ugh. I love the first five seasons, but this is not the same show. It's like four lines of dialogue they are trying to stretch into 22 minutes.

There was an earlier episode where Leonard went through Penny's bills with her, so he has seen some of her overextended finances.

• Love 3

So sick of the whole "Comics are for children" crap this show keeps pushing. 

Which is not even true. in fact, the main stream publishers are worried about the trend of their audience getting older and older. A lot of this, in my opinion, is driven by how expensive comics are, and how much the big two push crossover events, variant covers, and other tricks that get obsessed collectors to buy lots of issues, but alienate casual readers who just want to read a few good stories once in a while.

The segment that might be more popular with young readers than adults is Manga, and that didn't seem to exist in Stuart's shop.

Digital comics are another way younger readers might be drawn in, but that's not going to help a comic store either.

The writers were just so in love with the stupid "van joke". It was way out of character for any of those guys to be so obliviously naive about that, even Sheldon is usually well aware of "criminal MOs" so he can be afraid of them.

• Love 5

I really hope they end sex-deprived Amy very soon. I didnt care for Penny; I'm so done with her "Im so pretty attitude." Liked the guys bonding over their mutual love of "men in colored underwear." I think it was better, but they have a way to go to capture the first four seasons. Sigh...

Ugh. I love the first five seasons, but this is not the same show. It's like four lines of dialogue they are trying to stretch into 22 minutes.

Try 19 minutes. Seriously, there's no content to this show anymore. They throw together a few jokes and collect their paychecks and call it a day. Its lazy and disrespectful to the audience.

• Love 3

The show has seen better days, and this episode wasn't the funniest, but it was pretty solid. It seems that some people here are looking for common problems that didnt recur here.

Bernadette was not in super bitch mode to Howard. She said an immediate "no" to his idea, which is more than fair considering the state of the comic book store before it burned down. But she clearly was willing in to find out more once she realized he was serious, as indicated by them going to talk with Stuart together.

The show portrays both sides of the "comic books are for children" thing. The women don't understand why the guys like reading them. They even tried reading them once to understand their men. It isn't trying to make some grandiose philosophical statement about the nature of comics. It shows that four successful, educated men enjoy reading them. What more do you want? Of course the show makes fun of them, it is and always has been a cheap laugh sitcom and nothing more.

The white van sequence showcased the biggest problem with the writing this season, that the writers take a joke and stretch it until the very last person stops laughing, rather than cutting it off at its peak. Often this comes at the expense of its characters. The Rover end tag was the same way last week.

I thought it was obvious that Penny mentioned her credit card debt tongue in cheek. Then again, maybe there is a reason this show has to spell out their jokes for the audience... She knew Leonard knew about her debt, she was making a joke. (The kind of joke real people might make, rather than a sitcom joke.)

As weird as it is, the new Stuart this season is much more likable than constantly in the dumps, no reason to live Stuart. So I hope they don't go back to that if he reopens his store. Plus, I think the hip new store opens some possibilities for new situations.

Penny's "aw shucks you think I'm pretty" bit this episode was cute. And her hating the new girl was perfectly in character. Glad she is no longer relegated to being the drunk girl next door.

Edited by ae2
  • Love 11

I didn't hate this episode, but I didn't really laugh either.   That could be in part due to the fact CTV (Canadian station) saturated every commercial break all week with previews, so by the time I finally got to watch the episode I had already seen the *3 years nothing, 2 minutes pants off*  and *no one says they hate you to your face - we've lived separate lives", and "I hate her!" so many times, I was tired of them before ever seeing the episode.

• Love 2

I too think this show may have run its course. This season just seems flat. Penny's new job will probably generate some story opportunities, and I'd love to see Stuart get a more prominent role, but the interactions between the three guys have become so predictable. There are a few good jokes per episode, but for me it's not the must-see show it once was. Pick it up, writers.

• Love 1

I too think this show may have run its course. This season just seems flat. Penny's new job will probably generate some story opportunities, and I'd love to see Stuart get a more prominent role, but the interactions between the three guys have become so predictable. There are a few good jokes per episode, but for me it's not the must-see show it once was. Pick it up, writers.

My current theory is that they're trapped in their "WE HAVE A HUGE HIT" bubble, complete with moronically howling studio audience, and therefore don't recognize crap when they see it anymore. Seriously, the studio audience sounds like baboon island during mating season before anyone even opens their mouths. WTF?

I hate it when great shows forget how to be even...okay.

• Love 2

I just hate her so much. Her emasculating Howard at every turn is not cute, show. Yes I know she makes more money and Howard has proven he can't be trusted but still...her complete bitchiness is so not funny.

I interpret Bernie and Howard's relationship differently.   Look at his relationship with his Mom.  He's looking for a bit of that in a marriage, someone who drives the boat more than he does.   It would be strange if he was comfortable in any other kind of relationship.

• Love 7

I liked how they showed the different romantic relationships, without commenting on which one was better or worse than the other. 

Amy told Sheldon her doubts about the comic book store, but when she realized he wouldn't listen, she just said what he wanted to hear.

Bernadette immediately shot Howard down, and after he lied by pulling the missing dad card, she was willing to learn more.

Penny trusted Leonard, and still thinks of them as separate financial entities. 

All three women had reactions that were flawed, but unique to their relationships. After last week with Sheldon insisting that he and Amy are in the best relationship, this was nice to see. 

• Love 7

The segment that might be more popular with young readers than adults is Manga, and that didn't seem to exist in Stuart's shop.

In The Bakersfield Expedition, Stuart lists manga as one of the choices he offers the ladies, along with fantasy, graphic novels, and superheroes (which he subcategorizes), so the ladies should have known there was more to "comics" than just what the guys are reading. Presumably none of them has shopped in an adult store or they'd know about the definitely-not-for-minors comic books that are published, even if Stuart doesn't carry them.

The dialogue in this episode was so to formula, I kept feeling like I'd seen it before. It was like they did a cut-and-paste from a handful of prior scripts.

Bernie the bitch - talking to Howard like he was a 5 year old.  Doesn't even let him finish his sentence.  Just assumes it is a bad idea.  Didn't his mom treat him like a boy for far too long?  (Of course he did let that happen.)  If she would have listened to him and then quietly (in her squeaky voice) said "But I thought we were saving up for a house?" or re-directing him in another way.  But no.

For what it's worth, I didn't find myself actively groaning at this episode. The guys were making a mature decision and the girls expressed their doubts (or lack thereof) through their own avenues.

Though overall quality is down (a product of age) I enjoyed the more mature storyline.

• Love 2

In The Bakersfield Expedition, Stuart lists manga as one of the choices he offers the ladies, along with fantasy, graphic novels, and superheroes (which he subcategorizes), 

Fair enough, I don't recall seeing much of it in his shop. I could be wrong, or maybe it was all shelved on the fourth wall.

:-)

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1

I wish shows would have the good sense to go out on a high note instead of dragging along for years past their peak.  I don't see much hope for this one after the way they have set up this season.  The writers have boxed themselves in on several of the characters now, and I can't see how they can salvage anything from the mess.  So sad.  

• Love 2

Bernie the bitch - talking to Howard like he was a 5 year old.

If just once they could show Howard making smart decisions with money then I'd agree that Bernadette is being too harsh.  As things stand right now?  Not so much.  Howard wants to be treated like a 5 year old, when he grows up I'm sure Bernadette will be relieved not to have to be the only sensible adult in their relationship.

• Love 8

I hated the bit at the end, with Penny (why should she hate Raj's GF?) and Emily being all "i HATE that bitch". What a cliche. 

I hated that too. I wish they showed that two women, one who happened to have a drunken "hook up" years ago with a guy (and never had anything but platonic feelings before, during or since) and is currently engaged to one of Raj's best friends could be friends. It's called being an adult. If Raj and Penny were in a serious relationship, or long-term hook-up buddies then I could see Emily being uncomfortable until she got to know Penny and see that neither Penny or Raj were in to each other anymore. But that's a moot point. They're adults, it was a one-time thing that happened years ago. Let it go and move forward.

It's also Raj's fault for exaggerating the extent of their "hook-up" and he should be the one trying to fix the situation, not Penny.

Edit because their and they're are not the same.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 10

Not a huge fan of this episode either.  Did along with $1M an episode did Kaley get written into her contract that one or more characters have to tell her she's pretty every episode?  She's perfectly attractive but it's starting to get very Donna Martin. 

I was really meh on the "two girls are catty bitches to each other" storyline but it wasn't unexpected for this show. 

I'm of the view that comic books are for young children and it is deeply weird for highly educated, adult men to be reading and utterly obsessing over them, but that's just my opinion.

Howard gets no sympathy from me. He spends years spewing vicious things about his mother and acts hurt and neglected when she is nice to someone who actually likes her.

• Love 4

I thought Sheldon addressed the issue of the perceived child-ness of Comic Books and their other pursuits in the Time Machine episode, early in the show's run when he stated that Penny would have had her own Childish Hobbies.  I'm sure the girls have to varying extents enjoyed the Harry Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games books, not to mention when they all got Princess Makeovers at Disneyland. Those are definitely mediums for children that adults take up as a casual getaway. These girls may not be as passionate about such pursuits, but when is having a passion about a harmless activity bad?

• Love 5

Good character development, albeit a little forced, but not all that funny. I think I chuckled a few times, but never really laughed. Shamy seems have taken away from Penny/Sheldon time, which generally lead to more laughs. Also, Bernadette usually has funny lines, but not so much when there is a focus on her actual relationship with Howard.

One line I really liked from last night's episode was when Leonard said (paraphrasing) "Sheldon is an 80 yr old in a 12 yr old's shirt".  I loved that they finally addressed that!

Which part-the 80 year old man attitude or the 12 year old shirt part.

Fair enough, I don't recall seeing much of it in his shop. I could be wrong, or maybe it was all shelved on the fourth wall.

:-)

Unless the script calls for something in particular, I doubt anybody worries too much about what's on the shelves in his shop. There could be some subtle product placement going on.

I'm of the view that comic books are for young children and it is deeply weird for highly educated, adult men to be reading and utterly obsessing over them, but that's just my opinion.

A properly written superhero comic book is multi-layered and should contain something for adults to chew on, but in some ways the guys aren't adult yet, so they may still be into them for the powerful men and bosomy women, rather than any social or political issues being discussed. The ladies may appreciate them more if they had taken Stuart's advice, rather than let Penny make a superficial choice of what to examine.

• Love 2

This whole comic book store thing has me thinking of Sex and the City.  Carrie from SATC dated a comic book store owner who still lived with his parents in a very nice apartment off of Central Park.  Anyways if his parents caught him with pot one more time he had to live at the comic book store.........he got caught with pot and blamed it on Carrie...

To wrap up - owning a comic book store while on tv is not the best career choice.

• Love 1

I hated that too. I wish they showed that two women, one who happened to have a drunken "hook up" years ago with a guy (and never had anything but platonic feelings before, during or since) and is currently engaged to one of Raj's best friends could be friends. It's called being an adult. If Raj and Penny were in a serious relationship, or long-term hook-up buddies then I could see Emily being uncomfortable until she got to know Penny and see that neither Penny or Raj were in to each other anymore. But that's a moot point. They're adults, it was a one-time thing that happened years ago. Let it go and move forward.

It's also Raj's fault for exaggerating the extent of their "hook-up" and he should be the one trying to fix the situation, not Penny.

I'm not really faulting Penny on this one. She's not jealous of the Raj/Emily relationship, she's not trying to get in the middle, she's engaged to someone else and has made it very clear that there is nothing but friendship between her and Raj. She is reacting to Emily acting like a catty b*tch and well she should. And Penny wasn't mean about it. She simply asked if there was something she had done that offended Emily.  

Emily on the other hand needs to grow up. There is no way she's dated Raj for this long and not learned how close he is to his friends, male and female alike. If a one time hook-up from years ago still bothers her that much, it's her problem to sort out.

I thought it was very sweet that while Amy was describing how she ingratiated herself to Penny and Bernie, neither of them agreed with her or acknowledged it. 

I feel a bit bad for Howard. He's spent how many years at his mother's beck-and-call only to be easily replaced. That has to sting pretty badly.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 5

Plus, in that faux hook-up at the end of season four/start of season five, Penny agreed not to tell anyone that they had not really hooked up.  So the news that nothing really happened might have been news to someone -- they could have used that to stir the plot a little. 

• Love 2

I think owning the comic book store was a horrible idea and don't blame Bernie for her reaction. She could have been nicer, but those guys have no clue how to run a business and as pointed out its not like it was thriving before under STuart. They thought it would all be fun and games and reading comics, hanging out, etc, but thats not really how a business works. Has nothing to do with it being a comic book story. Has to do with them being 4 people with no clue about business and who when they have tried to work together in the past were arguing in about 5 minutes.

And I also did not believe the Emily storyline hating Penny. Seems completely inconsistent with her character. was the exact opposite of her reaction to Raj telling her about seeing his ex, even though they never slept together. She and Raj did not really sleep together either. Second time now Lorre has a story about a jealous girlfriend not liking Penny. AT least it made sense with Raj's sister, it was a true ex of Leonard, even though I thought she went overboard as well.

• Love 6

I thought Sheldon addressed the issue of the perceived child-ness of Comic Books and their other pursuits in the Time Machine episode, early in the show's run when he stated that Penny would have had her own Childish Hobbies. I'm sure the girls have to varying extents enjoyed the Harry Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games books, not to mention when they all got Princess Makeovers at Disneyland. Those are definitely mediums for children that adults take up as a casual getaway. These girls may not be as passionate about such pursuits, but when is having a passion about a harmless activity bad?

He'll, I'm older than dirt and I still like any sci-fi in all genres. I even make my grown kids wear Star Trek t-shirts I bought for them when the new movies come out. (they love it) Sheldon was right to call Penny a hypocrite in that episode with her hello kitty pjs. If the guys want a comic book store and can afford it, go for it!

• Love 4

I'm not really faulting Penny on this one. She's not jealous of the Raj/Emily relationship, she's not trying to get in the middle, she's engaged to someone else and has made it very clear that there is nothing but friendship between her and Raj. She is reacting to Emily acting like a catty b*tch and well she should. And Penny wasn't mean about it. She simply asked if there was something she had done that offended Emily.  

Emily on the other hand needs to grow up. There is no way she's dated Raj for this long and not learned how close he is to his friends, male and female alike. If a one time hook-up from years ago still bothers her that much, it's her problem to sort out.

Exactly. And while Penny did nothing wrong and is being nothing but nice I can see her getting down to the cattybitch level real fast. It was a rough road but even Penny and Pria came to a mutual disdain for each other and they had a much better reason than this to dislike each other.

I wish their original interaction didn't even lead to this discussion. Let's just all be adults. Raj should have told Emily the truth to start with but Emily needs to grow up.

She should watch this forgotten TV gem Supportive Women

• Love 4

They thought it would all be fun and games and reading comics, hanging out, etc, but thats not really how a business works.

I'm sure they were planning on letting Stuart do the actual work. There are partnerships like this on Bar Rescue, and they can work as long as the non-participating partners aren't helping themselves to the merchandise or being obnoxious to customers. I didn't hear anything to suggest either; they just wanted to be able to say they owned a comic book store and read the new issues before anyone else.

• Love 5

My cat tried to save me from having disdain for my beloved Raj by knocking the Fios cord out before Emily met the group (and apparently before Raj told Emily about the "hookup" with Penny).  Will someone take pity on me and synopsize that little part?

Sheldon was right to call Penny a hypocrite in that episode with her hello kitty pjs.

I didn't.  Penny wears Hello Kitty pjs because they're cute and trendy, it's not like she collects all things Hello Kitty or can exhaustively tell you every micro detail of the Hello Kitty universe.  He may have had a point that she too enjoys what many perceive to be childish things but not anywhere close to the extent that the guys do.  They had to resolve that episode so that no one was still mad at anyone so, typically, they made it seem as if one small item is the equivalent of an extremely large item.  Happens on sitcoms all the time just to make peace.

• Love 1

My cat tried to save me from having disdain for my beloved Raj by knocking the Fios cord out before Emily met the group (and apparently before Raj told Emily about the "hookup" with Penny).  Will someone take pity on me and synopsize that little part?

Raj told Emily about his & Penny's "hookup" off screen. From the Entertainment Weekly recap:

"The Hook-Up Reverberation" also saw the return of on-screen Emily. Raj finally introduces her to the entire gang, and she's excited to meet everyone except Penny, whom she gives a chilly "hello." Despite that, Penny uses the new doctor in the group to practice her pharmaceutical sales repping. (She impressively remembers the language about birth control, and carries a cool briefcase to boot.) Emily continues her ice queen routine, and when Penny pushes her, she reveals that she's bothered by Penny's past with Raj. Yeah, remember when they kissed and ended up naked in bed together? Penny doesn't define that as a "hook up," but Emily definitely does. And Penny's looks have her worried. (Emily, don't worry. Raj slept with long-haired Penny.)

Sadly, the drama between the two women pulls focus from the Raj/Emily dynamic, which was one of the show's few non-played out ideas. But he does play his part: Raj steps in and makes the two talk it out. They smile and make up, but they not-so-secretly hate each other. As the queen bee on this show, Penny probably can't tolerate someone in her hive that she doesn't like. Raj, hope you enjoyed the relationship—because it looks like the countdown clock's already ticking.

I didn't love this eppy. Is anyone else sad that this show seems to be slipping? Yes, I need to get a life, but I really love this show. Maybe next week will be a keeper.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

I didn't love this eppy. Is anyone else sad that this show seems to be slipping? Yes, I need to get a life, but I really love this show. Maybe next week will be a keeper.

I may need a life as well, lol! I agree though, it's not quite as sharp as it was. I keep hoping each week will be better than the last one.

• Love 1

I'm sure they were planning on letting Stuart do the actual work. There are partnerships like this on Bar Rescue, and they can work as long as the non-participating partners aren't helping themselves to the merchandise or being obnoxious to customers. I didn't hear anything to suggest either; they just wanted to be able to say they owned a comic book store and read the new issues before anyone else.

I would believe that about all of them except Sheldon. Nothing about Sheldon's personalities or past actions suggests he would be a passive investor in anything

• Love 2

This has become Howard's show.

I say that because the story/play/film belongs to the character who changes most and makes the most choices. Howard went from hitting on every woman he saw to being married and faithful with Bernadette. He's about to go (I think) from childishly hating his Mom all the time, to appreciating her and the times he's had with her. He has also just gone from needing to prove himself to Sheldon, to NOT needing to prove himself to Sheldon.

That is probably why Howard is my favorite character. Leonard is in a holding pattern with Sheldon and Penny, unable to change lest the show fall apart. Penny is changing, too, but not as interestingly as Howard. Sheldon can't change because it's simply not in character, and although Raj has changed it's been on the show's periphery, never its A plot.

• Love 1

This episode led me to the realization that I'll likely quit watching long before the show leaves the air.  Not yet, but soon I think.

Its just not particularly funny anymore.  But worse than that it labors under a weight that I can only describe as people who are dissatisfied or bored with their work (both in front of and behind the cameras), probably from longevity more than anything else, but don't leave for a myriad of reasons like the paycheck is good, what better job can they get, or simple inertia. 

I don't remember Sheldon as an eighty year old in a twelve year old's T shirt.  When did that happen?  There used to be buoyancy to Sheldon that peaked out from time to time and now its just shriveled into some crotchety guy. 

Penny is being allowed to grow into a mature woman and I should applaud that but I can't because it isolated the world of the show.  Now there is no avenue to bring in fresh characters because they stuck her in Bernadette's world instead opening a new door.

Leonard as the straight man doesn't work when there are no more comics to play against.    

Howard is the only character that is entertaining anymore.  Never would have imagined that in the beginning.

I don't remember Sheldon as an eighty year old in a twelve year old's T shirt.  When did that happen?  There used to be buoyancy to Sheldon that peaked out from time to time and now its just shriveled into some crotchety guy.

I always saw that Sheldon had a grumpy old man side.  One example that comes to mind is the episode where they get a new upstairs neighbor "the horror".  Sheldon was obsessed with how much noise the new tenant might make. 

• Love 2