Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

Netflix, CW Near Deal That Accelerates Streaming Window as Hulu Ends In-Season Pact (EXCLUSIVE)

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/netflix-cw-output-deal-the-flash-hulu-1201799176/

Netflix and the CW are close to finalizing a megabucks new deal covering scripted series that significantly speeds up the availability of the shows to less than two weeks after each season ends on the network.

The expanded pact with Netflix comes as CW and Hulu are parting ways on the deal that made selected current episodes of CW series available for streaming on a rolling-five basis. CW first set its streaming deals with Netflix and Hulu in 2011. Those deals were crucial to shoring up the future of CW five years ago, and now the expanded Netflix pact is a testament to the network’s improved performance.

With the Hulu deal ending, in-season streaming access to CW series will flow through the advertising-supported CWTV.com website and app as well as its affiliate stations’ VOD deals with various MVPD providers. In-season access will remain limited to a rolling-five most recent episodes, in most cases.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, catrox14 said:

rolling-five most recent episodes

I hate that the only way to watch all the current season episodes is to buy it on Amazon or iTunes. I'm even okay with the commercials on VOD if I could watch all the episodes.

• Love 1

I do the Amazon thing every week during the season.  I don't buy the HD version (there really isn't much difference), so it's $1.99.  That's the cost of the cup of coffee I buy every day, so I figure it's worth it to not have to suffer through the endless commercials, and to be able to watch the show on my schedule.  If I watched a lot of episodic tv, the cost would certainly add up, but SPN is really the only show I watch "live".  I stream pretty much everything else.

• Love 1

I posted this in Media thread but thought I'd put it here too.

Just saw this whilst in the Arrow forum re Mark Pedowitz discussing the CW at the TCA event. 

Other topics covered during the CW boss’ TCA appearance:
* Supergirl, The Flash, Arrow and Supernatural all have 22-episode orders, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is back for 13 and Legends Season 2 currently has a 13-episode order which could grow. Returning midseason shows The Originals, The 100 and iZombie will be back for 13 episodes each, while Reign may get as many as 16.

SPN has a 22 episode order this season instead of 23.  Legends of Tomorrow, which premieres on Oct 13 as SPN's lead-in has 13 episodes. I'm really curious what show will lead SPN after LoT ends for it's season.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

SPN has a 22 episode order this season instead of 23.  Legends of Tomorrow, which premieres on Oct 13 as SPN's lead-in has 13 episodes. I'm really curious what show will lead SPN after LoT ends for it's season.

Well, there's a rumor that the CW is thinking of having a "horror" night.  Vampire Diaries is having a shortened final season.  iZombie is 13 episodes.  Could be one of those.  Also, the rumor mill suggested that the CW is thinking of reviving Constantine, which would be freaking hilarious if they put it before Supernatural.

Edited by Demented Daisy
To fix iZombie episode number.
  • Love 1

I'm a little surprised that SPN was cut to 22 episodes. Flash and Arrow had 23 last season so cutting one from Flash and Arrow to give to Supergirl to bring it to 22 makes sense, given it's under Berlanti's Arrowverse. I'm wondering why SPN was cut to 22. Maybe that's preferred by all involved to keep things tighter storywise on SPN, but if it was done to help Supergirl get to 22 episodes..I'll be unsurprised but annoyed.  

And how does that work with contracts I wonder. I mean do the actors already know how many episodes it will be during contract negotiations or do they sign and are told well, you're getting $100,000 less this year because we cut the order by an episode, after they sign?  I'm sure one episode doesn't hurt J2 but what does that mean for the rest of the production crew? 

• Love 1

When they upped SPN from 22 to 23 episodes--I can't remember which episode, but there was a commentary in S7 where Singer talked about it--it seemed like the show itself wasn't all that excited about it. It's a lot of work just getting the 22 out and it shortens the hiatus a bit for everyone. It's probably more due to the CW having more programming in general now than just due to Supergirl, but that's just spec on my part. 

Contracts are interesting, though. Guest stars are contracted per episode, but series regulars usually get a pay bump to be available whenever they need them. So, I'd guess Jared and Jensen sign before they know the episode number, but again, just spec on my part.

I'm cool with it though. They could probably use a little trimming of the fat, but I doubt I will notice the difference and it might give Jared and Jensen a little more time with their families.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Demented Daisy said:

Could be one of those.  Also, the rumor mill suggested that the CW is thinking of reviving Constantine, which would be freaking hilarious if they put it before Supernatural.

Coincidentally, from the Arrow thread (h/t to @tv echo)

Greg Berlanti Says CONSTANTINE'S Future On The CW Is Uncertain, No Plans For BATMAN

Matt Bellissimo  Aug. 12, 2016
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/constantine/greg-berlanti-says-constantines-future-on-the-cw-is-uncertain-no-a144489

Quote.

.. Unfortunately, despite a very positive reception, Arrow creator Greg Berlanti has now said that the network doesn't have any future plans for John yet.

"We haven't had any conversations with them about Constantine," Berlanti said at the Television Critics Association press tour. When asked why there hasn't been any discussions, Berlanti said that "Constantine exists in a certain place in the DC world and universe" and he thinks "[the network is] kind of internally examining what they want to do with that character next." While this certianly doesn't completely rule out a return, don't expect to be seeing Constantine any time soon.

Berlanti also confirmed that there are no plans to include Batman on the CW, despite the network now including Superman on Supergirl....

Based on Berlanti's comments, I don't think they are going to do anything with Constantine for at least a season.  Since The 100 and iZombie are 9pm shows like SPN.  I don't think they can pair them without neutering the content of whichever moves to the 8pm slot. If they do a horror night, I'd rather the Originals move to Thursday rather than SPN being shoved to Fridays.  IIRC that pairing worked really well on Tuesdays for both shows.  But my real hope would be for SPN to go behind Arrow again after Frequency ends because I'm selfish and I want my two favorite shows to be together again.

Edited by catrox14

Jim Michaels said they were contracted for 23.  Super wiki stated the article is in error but that means Mark P misspoke because direct quotes have it at 22. 

So, we'll see if we get clarity anytime soon. 

8 minutes ago, SueB said:

Jim Michaels said they were contracted for 23.  Super wiki stated the article is in error but that means Mark P misspoke because direct quotes have it at 22. 

So, we'll see if we get clarity anytime soon. 

Did Michaels say that before or after Supergirl was announced coming to the CW? If it was before then the episode order may have changed. Seems to me the network must have the power to dump episodes if it wants.

15 minutes ago, SueB said:

Or that the reporter either misheard or made a simple typo. These things happen, ya know.

• Love 1

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/20-most-popular-shows-netflix-122211362.html

A new report from 7Park Data estimates the most-watched shows and movies on the streaming service, which doesn’t release ratings.

Netflix original show, "Orange Is the New Black," topped the list for June, when a new season. Nine million different accounts watched "Orange" in the US in June, according to 7Park estimates. Syndicated shows filled out the rest of the top 20, led by "How I Met Your Mother," "Pretty Little Liars," "Supernatural,"  and" Family Guy."

I don't think they understand that Supernatural airs new episodes and is in syndication but regardless our little show that could is the 4th Most Watched program on Netflix in June according to this article. YAY!!!!!!

Also it was number one in May. Damn boys! WOOO.

ETA: I have no idea how accurate that data is but seems actually legitimate.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3

As my husband and son took over the TV tonight to watch football, I was looking at the Thursday night football competition for Supernatural.  There are 6 total games that are on broadcast TV that I think will potentially dig into the ratings worse than the rest. Yes, the rest are on the NFL Network and that may lose some male demographic, but not everyone has that channel. Of course there's still ESPN College Football on Thursday nights so that's also going to hit select areas I suspect. The move to NFL on Thursday nights on broadcast began in 2014.  

EP 1, Oct 13th, Conflicts with CBS; Broncos at Chargers

EP 2, Oct 20th, Conflicts with CBS: Bears at Packers

EP 6, Nov 17th, Conflicts with NBC: Saints at Panthers

EP 7, Dec 1st, Conflicts with NBC: Cowboys at Vikings

EP 8, Dec 8th, Conflicts with NBC: Raiders at Chiefs

EP 9, Dec 15th, Conflicts with NBC: Rams at Seahawks

So basically, EP 3, 4 and 5 are their shot for showing their ratings.  Which ARE Nov Sweeps but still... not good.

I'm curious who ran against football last year and how they did.... I'll have to look that up.

That's exactly why I'm not worried about the move to Thursdays, I think Supernatural is already a show largely DVRed. When I first starting watching the show in real time back in S7 (not live, but the next morning usually) most of the discussion had already happened the night before. Somewhere around S9 or S10, it seemed like there was a shift in that. There's a few people popping in with quick thoughts the night of, but it seems to me most of the meat of the discussion doesn't start until the next afternoon. Which suggests to me people are either not all that interested in talking about the show immediately after watching it anymore or a good chunk of them aren't watching it the night it airs. It's probably a little bit of the first, but I'm guessing more of it is the latter.

I'm guessing the "after" bump is what keeps the show alive more than the live ratings. That could be exactly why they put this show on Thursday in this time slot? Perhaps their other shows aren't getting the "after"-bump Supernatural does? It might literally be the best show they have for this time slot?

My prediction is, the move to Thursday will not actually effect the ratings. The die-hards will still watch it live and the rest will watch it the next day. I think the ratings will hold for the first couple episodes and after that it all depends on the direction the show takes, not the night it's on. I think that's gonna be the biggest factor in the ratings, whether the show can withstand this new changing-of-the-guard and if the new direction is compelling TV. 

• Love 3

So this is interesting. Both Arrow premiere last week and the 2nd episode of the season for the Flash dropped significantly. Now I have my own opinion  why that happened but I would not be surprised if SPN premiere is lower than we might like. Thursday night Football is Broncos (yay) @ Chargers which is an important division game and a game 5 between the Nats and the Dodgers. That said I really hope I'm wrong because I want it to come in higher than the Flash.

• Love 1

To all watching tonight (since I can't post in the episode thread yet), enjoy the show!

(To myself, please don't suck, please don't piss me off, and please don't make me dislike watching certain older episodes because of what happens tonight).

10 hours ago, Diane said:

Me too! Going to stay up after I get home and watch it.

We had a network suspension for the past two weeks (I refer to this as "embargo on"), so everyone's on tonight trying to catch up now that it's over ("embargo off").  Nothing like 5 people fighting over who gets to do their changes first!

• Love 2

TV Ratings Thursday: ‘Supernatural’ premiere solid, ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ less so

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-thursday-oct-13-2016/

Supernatural (The CW) – P0.8/3    2.18

“Supernatural” opened its 12th season on The CW Thursday with pretty steady ratings. It drew a 0.8 rating in adults 18-49, down 0.1 from its premiere last year but ahead of its average from a season ago.

Edited by Diane
  • Love 2

Saw this on the comments section of "tvbythenumbers":

So far for the CW Shows this week it's
1. Supergirl 1.1/3.063 million
2 The Flash 1.1/2.801 million
3. Supernatural 0.8/2.181 million
4. Arrow 0.7/1.936 million
5. Legends of Tomorrow 0.6/1.841 million
6. Frequency 0.3/1.081 million
7 No Tomorrow 0.2/0.741 million

Pretty impressive for a show in its 12th season.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Diane said:

TV Ratings Thursday: ‘Supernatural’ premiere solid, ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ less so

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-thursday-oct-13-2016/

Supernatural (The CW) – P0.8/3    2.18

“Supernatural” opened its 12th season on The CW Thursday with pretty steady ratings. It drew a 0.8 rating in adults 18-49, down 0.1 from its premiere last year but ahead of its average from a season ago.

So, pretty much as expected, holding steady-ish? I'll be interesting to see the adjusted ratings later. 

You go, little show! 

• Love 2

I'm THRILLED.  They could have tanked, badly, with both playoff Baseball and a broadcast NFL game.  Instead they held steady.

Go Team SPN! And Pedowitz is smiling, I'm sure.  This is the first good news of the season (except Supergirl).  The rest of the shows are down this year.  And he's improved his Thursday night.

I'm so proud of the show.

• Love 5
On 10/13/2016 at 1:14 PM, catrox14 said:

I'm going to post this here since it is tied to ratings.  SPN ad rate dropped 21% over last season.  :/  That's a lot .

http://adage.com/article/news/tv-ad-pricing-chart/305899/

9 p.m.28,30035,631-21%

I have a friend who sells ad time for a media conglomerate. The conglomerate owns an affiliate of The CW so I'll ask him about this when I see him and his wife this weekend.

I noticed that more shows declined rather than increased. This is confusing because according to my friend, rates usually increase during an election year. All the political ads make the space available more valuable.

Also, the current ad price is speculative on the ratings for Supernatural. I'd bet that it was assumed that there would be a significant ratings drop due to the move to Thursday and the competition with football and Notorious. If the ratings hold steady, like the preliminary numbers suggest they might, it's likely that the cost will go back up. All speculation of course. Like I said, I'll ask my friend.

Edited by bearcatfan
Evedently Grey's moved to 8 at some point so Notorious is the competition.
  • Love 1

I don't know about The CW in other markets, but here in Chicagoland they moved from a prime Chicago station (WGN) to one in Gary, IN. Perhaps that may explain the lower rates if they moved to a lot of different affiliates.

Supernatutal has always been a stable show for the CW but its ad rates have mostly been lower than that of other shows on the network. I believe this is because of how the demo shakes down. Ostroff was obsessed with going after the young female demographic and at its highpoint the demos of say Vampire Diaries were fantastic in that regard. Now they are clearly trying more to be a comic book brand with the DC shows and that works slightly better with the male demographic. 

SPN scores a bit older and roughly even with male/female, maybe a bit more female-tinted. None of it is bad but the show doesn`t spike in either direction so it`s not like certain brands can go "wow, we have to target that programme to reach our audience". But this show has long since ceased to be profitable by ad rates alone and makes its real money from the secondary marketing like syndication and everything.   

• Love 1

The +28 and average demo is GOOD for Pedowitz.  If they keep it up next week, that'll be good.  Next week's games are Chicago vs Green Bay for NFL and Chicago vs LA for Baseball.  So... count Chicago OUT (although the wimpy signal from Gary may not reach many.  But it's Game 5 for LA (which is what it was this past week and we did okay... and it was apparently an awesome game).  So, we'll see.  The week after (the 27th) the NFL is limited to those with the NFL Network BUT it's world series week in baseball.  So... that's still an issue.  After THAT week, both the NFL and baseball give us a break.  

In short, if we can keep up premiere numbers until week 4, I'm feeling really good.  

And we WON the Twittersphere.  That's ALSO good news.  It'll be interesting at SPNATL (convention in Atlanta, to hear from the boys about feedback from the network).  That's after two episodes.  

• Love 1

I think episode three will be the true testing ground here. These first two episodes are basically a two-parter, so I think it depends on how they tie up this one that will cement to people whether they're sticking with the show for the whole season. I'm still optimistic but, TBH, it does worry me that next week a Horrible Duo episode and could possibly not be a satisfying end to what was started with the premiere. We'll see, I guess?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, catrox14 said:

This time the  game 5 is vs Cubs. That will get higher rains than Dodgers Nats.

I personally am hoping that there is NO game 5 and that the Cubs have swept the Dodgers in four. :) Go CUBS! (obviously my team; no offense to those whose team is in LA)

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

I personally am hoping that there is NO game 5 and that the Cubs have swept the Dodgers in four. :) Go CUBS! (obviously my team; no offense to those whose team is in LA)

I'm rooting for the Meteor.  ;) 

It's more like which team do I dislike the least.  I like Kershaw on the Dodgers but that's about it. I still have affection for Dexter Fowler (ex Rockie) but on the whole...GO well placed meteor that doesn't actually hurt anyone but messes up both teams.  I'm kind of rooting for a Game 7 where the road team wins but I dunno. I'm probably a bad person for this.

I'm all about the CanadianTulos even though they are American League(because F the DH, man)  LOL

35 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

I'm a Yankees fan but the Cubbies deserve this! Go Cubs!

• Love 2

I see you all realized that it's possible that there is no game 5. I'm just happy that the Giants can't possibly win again. I was rooting for the Nats because I still think the Reds were stupid for firing Dusty. Now, I don't really care, I think. I never really know until I start watching and rooting for someone.

My friend says that the political ad market has been very soft this cycle. Trump is buying very few ads so there isn't a price war going on. I was curious so I asked.