Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

Supernatural is the only show left that I watch more or less around the time it airs. Other than that, I haven't seen a lot of TV commercials in the last 5 years.

Frankly, I prefer watching two or three episodes in a row. Even with the shows I love, I don't have a problem watching much later. My beloved Justified is a prime example. I've started catching up with this last season and I am on episode 3. I hoped I would catch up by season's end to join the conversation but the weather was way too good to spend at home on the couch to get there.

After Supernatural ends, it will only be itunes and Netflix for me.

I think it's a combination of things, with a lot of the blame going to the scheduling.

After the December 9th episode, there wasn't another one until January 20th.  We had that episode (#10) followed by 4 more, then ANOTHER month long break AND a switch to Wednesday night.  Of the 3 episodes shown after that break (The Things They Carried, Paint it Black, and Inside Man), only the last one got particularly great reviews.  And now we're taking another week off.  

I've been watching since the beginning, and I can barely keep track of whether this is an 'on' week or an 'off' one.

Add to the scheduling impact the fact that so many of the recent episodes have been (not very good) filler (and therefore skip-able without messing with your understanding of the story arc), and it's maybe not surprising that so many aren't bothering to watch.

I'm hoping that the good reviews of Inside Man will encourage people to watch it on DVD or YouTube or whatever, and maybe get interested again.  The break next week does not help, however.

• Love 1

I don't understand why there is even another break.  The only thing I can fathom is that it's network mandated because Arrow, The Flash and SPN are all on a week hiatus.  My theory is that The Flash and Arrow have another crossover so they are trying to sync the timing but why SPN is in the middle of this makes no sense.

(edited)

It's weird that this coming week is the break, because this week is Spring Break. I think Spring Break/Holy Week might be messing with the numbers a little, just because people are probably traveling. But everyone will be back next week, so why are they taking that week off? Also, I hate all these breaks in general. I'm with Wynne88, I can never keep up with when the show is on or not.

Supernatural is the only show left that I watch more or less around the time it airs. Other than that, I haven't seen a lot of TV commercials in the last 5 years.

I don't have cable*** so it's difficult for me to watch stuff in real time. But shows that have a big fan following, like SPN, I try to watch live anyway, because a big part of the fun of watching shows like that is being able to follow the internet chatter and live tweeting, and all that other internet-based, fast-moving "fan stuff" that's associated with the show, and it's easiest and most fun to follow all that if you're watching live.

Shows that I like a lot but that don't get a lot of chatter online or don't have a "fandom," I just watch whenever it's convenient, and basically never watch live.

But I actually think that how fans interact on the internet encourages more live viewing now. "Now" relative to the "then" of the post-DVR (or even post-VCR!) but pre-smart phone and pre-Twitter era :P.

***And have never bought it. It's so expensive! Way too expensive for me to justify the cost. Once cable companies started putting filters in the box so that you couldn't use a splitter and get basic cable that way, I've just streamed everything.

Edited by rue721
(edited)
Once cable companies started putting filters in the box so that you couldn't use a splitter and get basic cable that way, I've just streamed everything

I use a splitter with my cable, but for a weird thing, and I have to have an extra unscrambler box thing for it - it's a pain, because those little boxes add up. It started out that we got 3 for free, and only had to pay for the other 2 ($1.99 ea - my mom insists she has to have 2 TVs in her area)... then we had to pay for all 5, and in June the price of them goes up. Cable companies are such awful things. Anyway I digress... here's what I use the splitter for...

When we had our old TV, it had a cable card *, so the splitter wasn't necessary for the VCR (and yes, I still have and use a VCR), but with our new TV, the splitter is used so that one side goes to the cable box and the other to the little unscrambler thing for the VCR. So I can watch one show or a DVD and tape something else. Which is good, because weirdly some of the things I watch and tape aren't available on demand. Also On Demand doesn't keep all the episodes, so if for example I want to watch "Fanfiction" I pull out my VCR tape and do so. Once I get the DVD, I'll reuse the tapes for the next season.

And you're right: cable is way too expensive... at least now. Twelve years ago we had Cox Cable. No unscrambler boxes needed and plenty of channels for like $35 a month. Then they got taken over by Comcast. More total channels, but less I watch (they took away some I watched and put them in a premium tier), and they nickle and dime you to death for even the basics (like unscrambler boxes). We pay almost 3 times as much for cable now for pretty much the same thing (except now we get On Demand - woopty doo)

We were considered as a Neilsen family, but we ended up not being chosen. Guess we weren't a desirable demographic.

* (Wonderful, wonderful things because you don't have to pay a monthly fee to unscramble the cable signal like with a box, even for HD stuff - which of course they got rid of cable cards on newer televisions, supposedly because they didn't work well. Which was bullcrap, because we had one problem in 10 years with ours, and it was fixed with a phone call in 10 minutes via a new signal. Our cable boxes on the other hand...)

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 1

Man. WTH.  The ratings are making me sad. I mean I understand we have another season...but I still don't like this drop.

CW  Supernatural  0.6/2  1.76 from TV By the Numbers.... but

Showbuzz Daily has it at 0.6 for 18-24 Adults, 0.7 for 18-49 adults and 0.8 for 25-54 Adults.  Wonder why it's different?

Demo-Profile-2015-WED.15-Apr-e1429196306

Edited by catrox14
CW  Supernatural  0.6/2  1.76 from TV By the Numbers.... but

Showbuzz Daily has it at 0.6 for 18-24 Adults, 0.7 for 18-49 adults and 0.8 for 25-54 Adults.  Wonder why it's different?

Rounding.  The 18-49 demo (the one that counts) was actually a .65.  It appears Showbuzz Daily went ahead and rounded up, and tvbythenumbers did not.

Hey, I heard on a podcast that SPN was picked up for syndication by USA.  Anyone else hear about this? I googled and couldn't find it referenced.

You mean the USA network?

CW  Supernatural  0.8/2  2.14

Nice increase! Hope it holds.  I wonder if we can pull a 1.0 for the finale.

I haven't seen the Twitter ratings yet.

Wonder what happens when it's adjusted.  The Chicago market was blacked out (baseball I believe) so that may have an impact.

That's pretty much been the trend over the last couple seasons--there seems to be a slump in the ratings starting around episode 15 or 16 and it seems they bounce back for the finale. I think S9 had pretty similar ratings and I think the finale also ended at around 1.2, if I recall properly.

Did I miss something?  There's some idiotic reality show on instead of Supernatural for the whole month of August?  (That's as far as my TV listings go...)   I didn't see any warnings or hints anywhere, and the only information I can find online is that the CW ordered eps of the new show for the summer back in February, with schedule to be determined later.

But EVERY DAMN WEDNESDAY?  (I know season 10 wasn't my favorite, but I'm about to go into withdrawal, so pardon my hyperventilation...)

How did I miss this?  Or is it only in Colorado?

• Love 2

Wow, I just checked my listings and they show America's Next Top Model and some other show for tomorrow. That fucking SUUCCCKS. But The Flash and iZombie remain on Tuesdays.  Thanks CW for putting the two shows I make time to watch on the same night and then remove them from the schedule. Awesome.

The CW has been doing this to Supernatural since its beginning. Red-headed stepchild you know.  I'm surprised they're taking Arrow repeats off, however. Maybe it's becoming like our show now - a steady fan base, so no need to worry about when/where they schedule it, or take it off altogether for awhile. Its fans will come back in the Fall.

Well, I've been watching Supernatural since season 4, so I can't say what went on before that.  But I never remember them taking the show off entirely for the summer...a week or two here or there, when there's something special like the Olympics or an award show, but not *replaced*.  Or am I wrong?  I assume they're trying to tap the built-in audience for the new show, but it's not like they're comparable in any way, shape or form, and, if that's the case, judging from the description (no, I don't intend to turn it on even out of curiosity) it seems like they have a *very* low opinion of the SPN fanbase.    

My question(s) (in case anyone knows):  was this announced anywhere?  Did they say how many eps the new show will be?  I know Supernatural starts with new episodes in October, but will reruns return in September some time so we can catch up/remind ourselves of the end of season 10?  

• Love 1

I think it'll rerun in Sept.  They definitely have 23 eps again this year because the remark on the first day was day 1 of 184 (filming days).  That's 23 episodes.

If I'm not mistaken, the seasons it was on Fridays, they replaced it with "Whose Line.." and other programs during a large chunk of the summer reruns. In other summer seasons, it was replaced by "specials", the "I *heart* Radio", et al. No matter which night the show was on, that was the night that the replacements were made in our time slot. I'm not saying it was off all summer, but if this is starting now, that wouldn't be all summer either.

OK, I was thinking of multiple weeks in a row with no warning, rather than just once in a while for a special, but point taken, and thanks to SueB and FlickChick for reminding me that yes, SPN is expendable in the eyes of the network but at least they keep renewing it.  I was just having a bad couple of days and lost my temper with the CW. *sigh*

• Love 1

OK, I was thinking of multiple weeks in a row with no warning, rather than just once in a while for a special, but point taken, and thanks to SueB and FlickChick for reminding me that yes, SPN is expendable in the eyes of the network but at least they keep renewing it.  I was just having a bad couple of days and lost my temper with the CW. *sigh*

I think "lost my temper at the CW" is kinda a permanent condition for many.

• Love 2

It looks like the CW has more summer series than usual this year. I checked last week's schedule and only the Tuesday series (Flash and iZombie) had repeats last week. All other days had series that don't air during the fall-spring season.

Interesting:

1) Pulling in more than iZombie

2) I think this is a direct result of the date change

3) If they lose return viewer in the fall (primarily due to killing off Charlie IMO), well Carver earned that

BTW, thanks for the link. 

Edited by SueB

The Chicago market had Cubs "win or go home" playoff baseball game on competing channel. Also there was the Blackhawks raising the Stanley Cup Banner and game on a competing channel. I'll be curious about the DVR increases when they come out.