Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

So, I was a little bummed they didn't break 1.0 in the demo. But I went to TV line http://tvline.com/2015/10/08/arrow-season-4-premiere-ratings/ (a reliable source IMO) and the way they put it makes perfect sense to me.

Specifically:

Leading out of that, Supernatural drew 2 mil and a 0.9, down from last year’s premiere (which did 2.5 mil/1.1 on a Tuesday, leading out of The Flash’s boffo debut) but up from its finale (1.7 mil/0.7) and improving on The 100‘s year-ago post-Arrow premiere (1.6 mil/0.5).

So the move to Wednesday did hurt #SPN but it was ahead of what they had behind Arrow LAST year. 

I suspect Pedowitz is probably happy with those numbers.  I'm not, I think the show is in a rough spot (opposite Empire) but ultimately the "live or die" is what makes Mark P. happy.  Still...it leaves me feeling like Supernatural is the " 'ole faithful" of the CW.

• Love 2

I didn't particularly like it moving behind Arrow last season because Arrow was a big fat mess and it's ratings were dropping right when SPN went behind them so I think that was a problem. I think they should have just left it on Tuesday but they wanted iZombie to pick up the Flash's audience. It sucks because it was doing really well on Tuesday night no matter which lead in it had.

That  0.9 is a lot better than I thought it would be. A lot of viewers swore off the show after Charlie's death and a lot didn't like the resolution of the MoC for Dean. So color me happy that it was that high.

• Love 1

Nielsen Twitter ratings are in and Supernatural was 4th for the night not sports division

http://www.nielsensocial.com/nielsentwittertvratings/daily/

1  FX  American Horror Story: Hotel  5,414  42,536  303  878
2  FOX  Empire  2,778  24,276  114  456
3  The CW  Arrow  955  3,754  19  79
4  The CW  Supernatural  786  2,654  28  115
5  ESPN  E:60  661  848  3  3

Edited by catrox14

Not exactly about ratings, specifically, but about what Mark P. is trying to do at the network.  And our little Supernatural was part of the turnaround.  *ridiculously proud of Show*

THE CW | Arrow (2.4 mil/0.9) ticked down just a bit, while Supernatural (1.6 mil/0.6) slipped 16 and 25 percent.

From TV Line.

:(  Did it get pre-empted in Chicago?   Maybe the CW could do some PROMOTION NOW.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Pre-emptions would inflate the early numbers, though. Meaning, if it was pre-empted, it would be even lower in the finals. 

I think the show is still perfectly safe with those ratings but Ì`m also not surprised. `Neither this nor last week`s episode had any particular hook like a cliffhanger or something. Besides, everything right now is down. 

From TV Line.

:( Did it get pre-empted in Chicago? Maybe the CW could do some PROMOTION NOW. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Yikes. That's a big drop.

The odd thing is that # SUPERNATURAL was the 6th trending topic on Twitter for over four hours. I'll be curious how it turns out on the Neilsen twitter ratings.

I'm also going to be curious what the male to female demos will be #casualfemaleviewer.

• Love 1

Still managed to remain the #3 show for the week. IZombie and the Vampire Diaries scored a 0.5 in the demo; Originals clocked in at 0.4, Reign at 0.2 and I didn't look at Monday but I think those shows are sitting at 0.3/0.4.

So essentially to avoid cancellation they are competing against other CW shows, would that be correct?

I think (and, admittedly, I know very little) that the CW really doesn't consider itself part of the usual ratings race.  Not in the same way other networks do.  So, in a way, yeah, they probably do kind of look at SPN and ask why cancel it?  It's a proven commodity for them; why replace it with something unknown?

I'm sure if they felt that Wednesday was a hot night and they wanted something else there, they'd be much more likely to shuffle Supernatural around than outright cancel it.

But, as always, I could be wrong.

• Love 1

The Chicago market is being preempted for basketball this Wednesday. So initial numbers will probably be inflated, then drop when they take out the market. Gotta love WGN and their damn ball games. Basketball in the fall/winter; baseball in the spring. :(

Remember, numbers will drop when adjusted for the basketball game in the Chicago market. Our Arrow and SN wil air on Saturday.

Ah, but it shouldn't adjust downward to the 0.6 we had last week, right?

OUCH. That's a big hit. Hmmm...I wonder why.  I mean it was a brothers episode and a MOTW which folks clamor for.  Cas was offscreen but mentioned. Or was Baby the anomaly because they promoted it as the MUST WATCH episode and these numbers are more reflective of the regular viewers?

I'll be interested to see if that adjusts upwards. With all the stupid actual supernatural shenanigans happening on Arrow right before Supernatural if the casual viewer is like surf this, I"ve had enough supernatural for one night.

I'm also wondering if it will get a big boost in the live +3 ratings...

I believe that we have many new, younger viewers that have found Supernatural on TNT, Netflix et al. They don't belong to Nielsen's ratings and they often DVR and/or watch online. So although these numbers are important to the advertising dollar, they are NOT representative of our viewership. Look at the number of followers on the boys' twitter, FB, etc. That alone should tell you something.

• Love 1

I believe that we have many new, younger viewers that have found Supernatural on TNT, Netflix et al. They don't belong to Nielsen's ratings and they often DVR and/or watch online. So although these numbers are important to the advertising dollar, they are NOT representative of our viewership. Look at the number of followers on the boys' twitter, FB, etc. That alone should tell you something.

Network suits DO care about ratings. They look at live, Same day+DVR and Twitter ratings. If it stays at a 6 or drops lower, we could be in trouble, no matter how much Mark Pedowitz loves the show. If those ratings drop further no amount of love, Netflix binge watching, online chatter other than Twitter on the day the show airs, will matter, because the show will not be meeting the networks standards for cancellation. It's sad and archaic but still true :(

I wonder if they count people who watch through the CW app? Because if the ratings are for advertising numbers, given the number of ads they show on the app, it should count. Also, what about the numbers for people who buy a season pass on iTunes? That's $$ in the bank...

I suppose they don't count the iTunes, but the app should count.

Edited by Omegamom

Sue B (I think) did a really thorough analysis of the ways that Supernatural brings in money which looked way beyond just the ratings for any given night/episode.  I can't remember where I read it, but I thought it was pretty reassuring.  Anybody remember where it was posted?

Unfortunately Supernatural did not make it into the Top 5 Twitter Ratings this week :(. 

From your post Diane

Supernatural (1.8 mil/0.7) was steady.

And just some further breakdown from Showbuzz Daily

And from Showbuzz DailyFasts-Demo-2015-Nov-WED.18.png

I'm reading chatter on that article that Fox is doing this because Empire is tanking faster than expected. If this happens with the CW, I have to wonder if our little show that could is going to be proven to be A LOT more popular than standard ratings have shown.

Good new: Supernatural is keeping it's slot.  http://tvline.com/2015/11/23/vampire-diaries-originals-fridays-cw-schedule-2016/

Bad news: Now I have to watch upteenbillion Arrow and Flash episodes so I can watch the "Legends of Tomorrow" -- because it looks good.  

Well that's good about SPN. 

But man, I so miss my s1.5 to to 3.1/2 Arrow. I am so bitter over Arrow getting shunted to the side. Neither the Flash nor LoT would exist without Arrow's success.  Ahhh so bitter. It's not fair!!!   /slams door

So TVLine has already come out with it's 2016 scorecard.  Supernatural is "A Sure Thing"

http://tvline.com/2015/10/16/renewed-tv-shows-2016-renewal-scorecard-cancelled-series/5/

What that means to me is that the ratings for November sweeps were, in TVLine's mind at least, sufficient to keep Supernatural Safe.  I think that is underscored by the announcement of the January shuffle (just after November sweeps was over).  

This makes me happy.  I want Supernatural to have a S12.  J2 comments are still consistent that they are "in" for as long as we are. But I HAVE noticed a couple of comments that suggest they are encouraging us to encourage viewership.  So... I think the downtick from last year has been noticed but apparently still okay.  I personally would like to see more viewers.  I think Carver shot himself in the foot with the death of Charlie.  Many fans were really pissed and I see a drop in some on-line communities.  

Yet, personally, I think this season is VERY strong.  So... I think killing Charlie had an effect in addition to the Wednesday move.  Of course these things are so freaking complicated, I refuse to believe any one act (thus far) is solely responsible for any ratings trend.  Personally, I think killing Cas would end the show.  I think Carver knows that and has put at least Misha (if not Mark as well) in the "will not die" category.