Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

I don't mind, I watch it on a little bit of a delay so that I don't have to watch the commercials.  So I like the earlier time.  I can't see it changing the content.  The Vampire Diaries, has been more violent in the earlier time slot.

1 hour ago, Diane said:

I don't mind, I watch it on a little bit of a delay so that I don't have to watch the commercials.  So I like the earlier time.  I can't see it changing the content.  The Vampire Diaries, has been more violent in the earlier time slot.

Plus all the TNT reruns are during the day, and apparently no one has complained so far.  Do daytime shows have different rules?

8 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Plus all the TNT reruns are during the day, and apparently no one has complained so far.  Do daytime shows have different rules?

That's a good question, back in the day when I watched soap opera's they seemed to really push the boundaries as far as sex scenes. So I don't really know.

4 hours ago, ahrtee said:

TNT is a basic cable network and aren't held to the same standards as  broadcast networks. I think in general daytime TV is not held to the same standards as Prime Time.

On 11/16/2016 at 3:50 PM, catrox14 said:

The pairing with Riverdale is odd if Riverdale is just a teen soap like Dawson's Creek, but it sounds like it might be little mysterious.

Especially if they bring in any semblance of Archie's Weird Mysteries, then it would make perfect sense to pair it with Supernatural.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

TNT is a basic cable network and aren't held to the same standards as  broadcast networks. I think in general daytime TV is not held to the same standards as Prime Time.

The rules are stuck in the seventies! It's kinda funny. 

6 minutes ago, Bessie said:

The rules are stuck in the seventies! It's kinda funny. 

I think they let a lot go now in the 8PM time slot than before but I'm really not  convinced the stigmata graphic imagery and self-flagellation nor the woman hanging upside down in her underwear and having her throat slit would have made into the 8PM hour. If it did, I think the networks would have had a lot of complaints.

Edited by catrox14
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

I think they let a lot go now in the 8PM time slot than before but I'm really not  convinced the stigmata graphic imagery and self-flagellation nor the woman hanging upside down in her underwear and having her throat slit would have made into the 8PM hour. If it did, I think the networks would have had a lot of complaints.

I still think it will be fine, again the Vampire Diaries has been at 7 central and has never had a problem. It can be very graphic. I am not worried.

Edited by Diane
17 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Especially if they bring in any semblance of Archie's Weird Mysteries, then it would make perfect sense to pair it with Supernatural.

I think they may go that way.

Incidentally, CBS is developing a Doctor Mirage (comic about a woman who can see spirits) show for the CW next year. If it gets picked up, that would be a great pairing with SPN. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
Corrected name of Comic Book
3 hours ago, catrox14 said:

TBH, I could have done without all of that myself and not felt that I was being deprived.  I always thought the suggestion of horror is much more effective than gross and graphic effects.  But that's just me.   

ETA: For full disclosure, I never watch horror/slasher/anything particularly gory (I even close my eyes during surgery scenes on doctor shows) so I understand I may be in the minority here.  

Edited by ahrtee
  • Love 2

nor the woman hanging upside down in her underwear and having her throat slit would have made into the 8PM hour

This Season`s Premiere of Vampire Diaries had a meathook being driven into a person`s back, then have them lifted up and dropped into a basin with a flesh-eating monster before being pulled out with the visible chunks of bone and flesh still on it. All in graphic detail. If this is no problem in the 8 p.m. slot, then I can think of no scene in say Season 12 of SPN so far that would have been a problem. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I didn't mean curious as in unbelievable, but just curious as to why it dropped.

Right, and my response was in the same vein. It probably dropped due to the episode being less interesting at that point.

• Love 1

This seems like shuffling deck chairs. Won't SPN have to be toned down for 8 PM? I know it's not exactly AHS but it's gory at various points. And isn't Riverdale another one of those generic teen dramas with quasi-"atmospheric" overtones? It sounds cookie cutter to me. When I heard it was going to be another Twin Peaks I just shook my head. I'm sure you could call SPN cookie cutter too but it's a very different type of show to the angsty bare-chested 25 year olds playing teenagers.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

Won't SPN have to be toned down for 8 PM?

I don't think they will. As I understand it, the networks have pretty much abandoned the old convention that the 7-8 hour should be more family friendly. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, bethy said:

I don't think they will. As I understand it, the networks have pretty much abandoned the old convention that the 7-8 hour should be more family friendly. 

Especially networks that have only 2 hours of primetime (CW, Fox).

• Love 2

I'm imagine they are happy, its a great improvement over last year.

What's better, is that SPN has a very tiny year to year drop. In fact this 1207 and 1107 were practically tied in ratings. 

The CW has some concerns, they can't seem to launch a successful new show that isn't a DC/Berlanti show. Unfortunately for them the DC shows sprung a leak this season. 

All that being said, SPN once again proves to be the "Little Show that Can"

• Love 6

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/legends-of-tomorrow-adjusts-up-supernatural-great-indoors-baking-show-adjust-down-thursday-final-ratings/

Final broadcast primetime live + same-day ratings for Thursday, Dec. 1, 2016

Several shows had changes to their adults 18-49 ratings from Thursday’s early numbers to the finals, most of them on the negative side.

“The Great Indoors” (1.3), “The Great American Baking Show” (1.0) and “Supernatural” (0.6) all adjusted down a tenth of a point from their preliminary numbers. On the plus side, “Legends of Tomorrow” adjusted up a tenth to 1.2 with its leg of The CW’s four-part crossover, tying a series high. “Thursday Night Football” finished with a 6.8, the best for Thursday game (excluding opening night) this season.

Last week was clearly DC week for the CW, the crossover shows posted great numbers. It`s also not surprising that the non-comic-book-shows airing in the 9 p.m. slots didn`t profit from it. The crossover appealed to one particular target audience. And the SPN ep was somewhat dull so not a good episode for exposure IMO. 

I realize the actual numbers matter less than buzz, syndication and streaming deals, etc. and flashier, newer shows are going to get more with those than SPN does, but it still sort of shows why they still hang onto SPN when their much-hyped and promoted superhero shows mostly crash back down to levels not that high above SPN after a massive and praised crossover week. 

• Love 2

So I noticed that s11 is airing on  TNT next week. Looking at the schedule for the next two weeks I see "Baby" is not being aired.  They are airing the first 3 and then skip to Thin Lizzie. I couldn't find Baby on the schedule at all. I don't get it. 

28 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

So I noticed that s11 is airing on  TNT next week. Looking at the schedule for the next two weeks I see "Baby" is not being aired.  They are airing the first 3 and then skip to Thin Lizzie. I couldn't find Baby on the schedule at all. I don't get it. 

Christmas?

41 minutes ago, SueB said:

Christmas?

41 minutes ago, SueB said:

Christmas?

They are airing all of s11 between now and Christmas. 4 episodes a day for 5 days. They aren't even airing Alpha and Omega.before they start over with s1. They are ending with We Happy Few and they seem to be reairing some of the episodes in the middle twice but still no Baby nor Alpha & Omega. So weird.

6 hours ago, catrox14 said:

They are airing all of s11 between now and Christmas. 4 episodes a day for 5 days. They aren't even airing Alpha and Omega.before they start over with s1. They are ending with We Happy Few and they seem to be reairing some of the episodes in the middle twice but still no Baby nor Alpha & Omega. So weird.

It seems like it's been mentioned somewhere around here before, sometimes they screw up the schedule on TNT routinely.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

It seems like it's been mentioned somewhere around here before, sometimes they screw up the schedule on TNT routinely.

I agree. We may find that they correct the episodes in the guide or show them in order without correction in the guide. Or they may simply screw it up. :(

I think the first time they show a season they skip a few episodes...usually the more popular ones (I seem to remember last year they skipped Fan Fiction and the last ep?)  I don't know if it's part of the deal so that more people will pay for the missing eps on Netflix or will buy the DVDs.  Usually on later repeats they have all eps.  I don't think they've repeated eps in the middle but maybe it's to make it end at a particular date (as placeholders?)

Edited by ahrtee
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Never doubted SPN would get another season. At this point the show will end when the J's are ready to quit.

I think the only fly in the Chardonnay is what are they going to do with the rest of the CW.  They doubled-down on their Superhero lineup.  Still at the top but less than the year prior.  Jane the Virgin and My Crazy Ex Girlfriend have awards spark but terrible ratings.  I don't see how Frequency and No Tomorrow survive.  Carver now learns the lesson it wasn't him, it was the boys -- it's ALWAYS been the boys.  

I hope iZombie performs well in the back end. It's a brilliant show.  I thin these ratings actually work in their favor.  But yeah, IMO, Supernatural is so reliable, they'll probably keep it on Thursday to help slay the Football dragon.  

Frequency and No Tomorrow are gone, they didn't get a back 9 (or less) pick up, they're effectively cancelled at this point, just not officially. CW announced that Reign ends with this season and TVD is in its final season. The Originals may get a short final season pick up or it may get canceled (I'm betting on a half/final season order).

Arrow, Flash, LoT, Supergirl and SPN are all safe, IMO. I-Zombie, Riverdale and The 100 are question marks for me. 

I also fully expect that when the time comes, SPN like Smallville, TVD, Nikita, HoD, etc will get an announced final season, abbreviated or otherwise.

Its funny, there were (Dawn O) years when I worried over SPN being Canceled. However, since Pedowitz came on board and rescued SPN from Fridays I haven't worried.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, SueB said:

Carver now learns the lesson it wasn't him, it was the boys -- it's ALWAYS been the boys.  

I don't understand this. When did Carver imply the success of the show wasn't the boys? In the s10 retrospective he said the show is always about the boys core relationship.

On 12/24/2016 at 3:14 PM, catrox14 said:

I don't understand this. When did Carver imply the success of the show wasn't the boys? In the s10 retrospective he said the show is always about the boys core relationship.

He didn't. But he left after 3 and barely paid attention during the last half of S11.  Kripke also thought the show would end with him (hence killings Ellen and Jo).  

What I'm saying is that in the case of both of these producers, they thought they could repeat their success with other shows.  It didn't happen. The succcess of SPN is more about the boys than the producers. 

Edited by SueB
What possessed autocorrect to turn Kripke into Oriole? I ask you.
  • Love 3

SUPERNATURAL comes in at 25.

Data reveals the 20 most popular TV shows of 2016

Game of Thrones" was by far the most popular show around the world in 2016, according to a new analysis from Parrot Analytics. "The Walking Dead" came in second, followed by "Pretty Little Liars" and "Westworld."

Parrot analyzed not only ratings data (where available) but also peer-to-peer sharing, social media chatter, and other factors to estimate viewer demand for various shows. These combined measurements determine each show's "demand expressions" per day. Though the formula is opaque, the ranking appears to be one of the best ways to compare shows across platforms and measure how popular they really are.

What other shows ruled the past year?

i

Data reveals the 20 most popular TV shows of 2016

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-popular-tv-shows-2016-12?r=UK&IR=T/#2-amcs-the-walking-dead-with-47-million-demand-expressions-per-day-the-shocking-beginning-of-season-7-led-to-an-explosion-in-social-media-interest-2

• Love 1