Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

Woot! Go show, it's your birthday, go show, it's your birthday. (yes, I'm snoopy dancing).

And in a ratings month. Wheeeeeeeeeee.

And yes, I'm bitter about the lack of Supernatural promos so I'm going to be petty about Riverdale not being a break-away hit.  You shouldn't get ahead by standing on the face of another show.  Stand on their shoulders, it's more polite. 

• Love 3

Nice bump. I wonder if it will hold. I'm really curious why it had that bump over last week. But funny enough, to me this wasn't even a Cas episode other than Cas' life being at risk. To me it was Mary-centric episode and the PR monkeys sold the Cas-in-Peril to get eyeballs during February sweeps. Just my speculation.

7 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Nice bump. I wonder if it will hold. I'm really curious why it had that bump over last week. But funny enough, to me this wasn't even a Cas episode other than Cas' life being at risk. To me it was Mary-centric episode and the PR monkeys sold the Cas-in-Peril to get eyeballs during February sweeps. Just my speculation.

Yeah I'd agree with you on that, but since Cas' dilemma was the focus of the promo it was the most likely thing to make people watch live. I would say this weeks episode was more of an ensemble than truly focused on one particular person.

Actually to be honest, now that I think about, I wouldn't even consider Lily Saunders Has No Regrets as overly Cas centred. As you'd expect from the title the episode was more focused on the life story of Lily. Cas just happened to be briefly in it. 

But to get back on topic, I am glad the ratings went up whatever the reason.

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 1

I've always felt like the next show benefits from buzz after the previous episode.

But we also had the ABSOLUTELY ceiling "Tick, Tick, Tick" 'Shaving People, Punting Things' video. Damn, those people are GOOD.  I know my excitement for this episode was very high.  And I'm always excited for Supernatural.  

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, SueB said:

I've always felt like the next show benefits from buzz after the previous episode.

The success of the previous ep is by far the biggest factor in the ratings, thought they are affected by all sorts of things; weather, the competition etc.

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

the PR monkeys sold the Cas-in-Peril to get eyeballs during February sweeps.

That assumes that Cas is more of a ratings winner than focusing on Dean and Sam or some other aspect of the show and there is no evidence that that is true. The presence / absence of Cas in an ep or in the promotion for an ep makes no statistically measurable difference to the ratings. And though of course he is a popular character, it is Dean and Sam that most people are tuning in for.

29 minutes ago, SueB said:

But we also had the ABSOLUTELY ceiling "Tick, Tick, Tick" 'Shaving People, Punting Things' video. Damn, those people are GOOD

This was really good. They are far better at promotion than the official PR people.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Geordiegirl1967 said:

That assumes that Cas is more of a ratings winner than focusing on Dean and Sam or some other aspect of the show and there is no evidence that that is true. The presence / absence of Cas in an ep or in the promotion for an ep makes no statistically measurable difference to the ratings. And though of course he is a popular character, it is Dean and Sam that most people are tuning in for.

This was really good. They are far better at promotion than the official PR people.

If they are going for the cheap Character-Is-In-Peril ploy then Cas is definitely the way to go. Those type of ploys are never going to work with Sam and Dean. They're the leads and the show would collapse without them so they're 100% safe. On the other hand, and I even say this as a fan of his, Cas is much more expendable. He can be killed off. 

So that means a character-is-in-peril plot and certain other plots are always going to work better with Castiel (or any other side character) because the writers can actually create suspense. 

Edited by Wayward Son

I really don't know what promotion the CW does because I don't watch any of the other CW shows. I have a suspicion that I am not alone in that among Supernatural fans. Obviously, most of us turn it off when the show is over and don't stay for Riverdale.

• Love 2

That's most excellent news!  And it's probably very petty of me, but I'm a wee bit pleased that Riverdale isn't doing so well.  They screwed with SPN's day and time slot again, and the show just keeps on ticking.  I love it!  Maybe they'll move SPN back to Wednesdays at nine next season.

Edited by MysteryGuest
Got carried away with the apostrophe!
  • Love 2

I'm pissed at the fact that the CW shows previews for all shows immediately following the program except ours. We had been getting our previews after commercials, now all we get is Riverdale - which to my delight is tanking! I cannot imagine why TPTB thought it was a good idea to move SN to an earlier hour and put on a show that has absolutely, positively, no connection to ours after it. Just plain dumb.

1 hour ago, FlickChick said:

I'm pissed at the fact that the CW shows previews for all shows immediately following the program except ours. We had been getting our previews after commercials, now all we get is Riverdale - which to my delight is tanking! I cannot imagine why TPTB thought it was a good idea to move SN to an earlier hour and put on a show that has absolutely, positively, no connection to ours after it. Just plain dumb.

I just don't want SPN to be blamed for the tanking of Riverdale.

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

I just don't want SPN to be blamed for the tanking of Riverdale.

I can't imagine how they could "logic" that one. Usually, they hope that they get "carry-over" from a show with decent numbers, but to do that the shows should be in the same genre or at least connected by age interest or something. Nothing applies here.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, FlickChick said:

I can't imagine how they could "logic" that one. Usually, they hope that they get "carry-over" from a show with decent numbers, but to do that the shows should be in the same genre or at least connected by age interest or something. Nothing applies here.

The way I see it, the only way Supernatural could be blamed for Riverdale tanking is if wasn't giving decent numbers for a lead in. Riverdale's number are far worse than Supernatural which means that Riverdale can't hold the audience Supernatural is giving it. That's on Riverdale.

Once upon a time, when you actually had to get up off of the couch to change the channel, lead ins meant something. People would continue watching the next show because they didn't want to get up. It really doesn't mean anything anymore as it's so easy to grab the remote and change the channel. IMO at least.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bearcatfan said:

The way I see it, the only way Supernatural could be blamed for Riverdale tanking is if wasn't giving decent numbers for a lead in. Riverdale's number are far worse than Supernatural which means that Riverdale can't hold the audience Supernatural is giving it. That's on Riverdale.

Once upon a time, when you actually had to get up off of the couch to change the channel, lead ins meant something. People would continue watching the next show because they didn't want to get up. It really doesn't mean anything anymore as it's so easy to grab the remote and change the channel. IMO at least.

Exactly.  And to top it off, CW has be dissing the SPN fandom by relegating our previews to the internet in order to show Riverdales twice.  Mind boggling. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, bearcatfan said:

I don't think anyone at the network would blame SPN for Riverdale's numbers. They stuck No Tomorrow behind Flash and Frequency behind Arrow and both flopped. Riverdale is actually pulling better numbers behind SPN than Frequency pulled behind Arrow and Riverdale got the mid-season premiere. Granted Riverdale can still drop to the 0.3 range but, i don't think anyone would blame SPN anymore than they'd blame Flash or Arrow.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

Well, frankly, Riverdale sucks. Its numbers are pretty good, considering that the show has no chemistry or anything special about it.

And yeah I have been watching it! Because I am one of those lazy people who will be busy puttering around or eating dinner or whatever with the TV on, and end up forgetting or not getting around to turning the channel after SPN finishes up. What irritates me is that I usually end up watching like the last half hour or even just 15 mins of SPN but then being right there on the couch for allllllll of Riverdale -- because of the scheduling flip. Aaargh.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, rue721 said:

What irritates me is that I usually end up watching like the last half hour or even just 15 mins of SPN but then being right there on the couch for allllllll of Riverdale -- because of the scheduling flip.

I know it's been said before, but it really is amazing that this show gets flipped around as much as it does and it doesn't seem to lose viewers because of it. I've been watching live for about a year and it's had 3 different times! One year! I think my first live show was Red Meat.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, bearcatfan said:

I know it's been said before, but it really is amazing that this show gets flipped around as much as it does and it doesn't seem to lose viewers because of it. I've been watching live for about a year and it's had 3 different times! One year! I think my first live show was Red Meat.

Red Meat. Man, that was another episode that gave me sweaty palms from start to finish.  I knew they would live but... I got legit scared of what the hell they would do to survive the episode. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

SPN dropped back to it's normal 0.6 demo but hit a season low in viewers.

Fast-Demo-2017-Feb-23.THU_.png

Ouch on the viewers front! A bad week for the CW all round considering Arrow fell to a series low of 0.5 this week as well. 

I really thought it would still be riding the wave of a couple better episodes and might stay steadier than that. Although, I didn't count in the Horrible Duo effect. Plus, historically I believe they usually start to dip around now. Still though, they're still kicking Riverdale's ass all the way home, so there's good news too! ;)

• Love 1

Interestingly enough 12x02 (written by Buckner and Ross-Leming) got. 1.61. 12x13 (written by Buckner and Ross-Leming) got 1.62. Both of which are quite a bit below the third lowest rating of 1.68

Coincidence? Or fans refusing to watch their episodes? 

I think with this show the ratings are mostly about the episode that comes before, and that casual Nielsen viewers are not twitter/tumblr aficionados or even engage in the on-line fandoms. JMO, of course. The numbers will likely even out to at least the average through the DVRing. I only watch live if I can be fairly sure that it's going to be worth my time. I think the average Nielsen viewer might feel the same, but they just don't bother checking the boards or any social mediums and/or spoiler reports and rely more on how good/bad they felt the episode was that aired the previous week. Lots of people don't have time for social media and/or they don't like it.

Edited by Myrelle
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

I think with this show the ratings are mostly about the episode that comes before, and that casual Nielsen viewers are not twitter/tumblr aficionados or even engage in the on-line fandoms. JMO, of course. The numbers will likely even out to at least the average through the DVRing. I only watch live if I can be fairly sure that it's going to be worth my time. I think the average Nielsen viewer might feel the same, but they just don't bother checking the boards or any social mediums and/or spoiler reports and rely more on how good/bad they felt the episode was that aired the previous week. Lots of people don't have time for social media and/or they don't like it.

31 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Also, in a lot of the US in the last few days, the weather has been unseasonably fabulous! That might have kept people away from their TV sets, too ;)

In general I think it's down to a lot of factors such as the quality of the previous episode (like you mention), the promotion clips of the current episode, the weather (like @rue721 mention), real life events, the competition on other networks etc.

I just find it interesting that the one thing linking the two lowest episodes of the season happens to be who wrote them.

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, rue721 said:

Also, in a lot of the US in the last few days, the weather has been unseasonably fabulous! That might have kept people away from their TV sets, too ;)

Absolutely! 70 degrees the past two days here in Jersey. In February no less :)

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, auntvi said:

Interesting that it's almost all on Facebook, not Twitter.

Thanks for point that out.  I use facebook for family stuff (Aunts, Uncles, nieces, & nephews) so I don't "Supernatural" there.  I had no idea it has such a large presence on FB.

3 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Does anyone know why the final ratings have been coming up late this week? I've noticed all weeks they've not been coming in until the day after for some reason.

They've been delayed all week because Monday was President's day (US Holiday)

18 hours ago, SueB said:

Thanks for point that out.  I use facebook for family stuff (Aunts, Uncles, nieces, & nephews) so I don't "Supernatural" there.  I had no idea it has such a large presence on FB.

That's a good point. I always say that ratings are due in part to, previews and/or previous week's episode.  The lack of SPN previews might play the role in the ratings. This was also a down week for the CW Big 5 (DC Shows and SPN), all were down a tenth from their previous new episode. Meanwhile JTV, The 100 and TVD were all steady. Riverdale was also down but, that's a new show so it's going to fluctuate.

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:33 AM, Diane said:

I don't watch anything live, absolute nothing.  I hate commercials so I delay.  DVR is best invention yet.  I even do it with award shows.

So do I! But the only exception is Supernatural, I  just can't wait, and like to chat with my friends here.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Mick Lady said:

So do I! But the only exception is Supernatural, I  just can't wait, and like to chat with my friends here.

I would but now that it is at 7 it seems I am never ready yet. I am fixing dinner or at the store or whatever. I guess I need to try harder.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Diane said:

I would but now that it is at 7 it seems I am never ready yet. I am fixing dinner or at the store or whatever. I guess I need to try harder.

I don't watch much live TV because it's so inconvenient. I'm almost never home before 9:30 or 10pm during the week, because I take classes after work and just, you know, am involved in a couple community things and have friends and family and generally have a life. I think a lot of people have dropped out of the habit of live viewing for similar reasons.

But appointment television is kind of fun, and I like having a Thursday habit where I eat the same thing for dinner and settle in to watch SPN every week. Can't really keep it up EVERY week, but I try. I can only do that for like one or two shows a season, though. This year is SPN and the Young Pope, apparently.

Well anyway, my point is that I don't really think it hurts SPN any that live viewing is down across the board. It's still doing fine, it's already found it's audience. But I think watching a favorite show live every week is fun for its own sake, so I try to make time for it for myself, because I enjoy it.

Guess live viewing like that is an archaic hobby nowadays though. Like, I might as well be cobbling shoes or hunting-and-pecking out The Great American novel on a typewriter or trying to dial up truckers on a HAM radio or something while I'm at it ;)

• Love 3

I think the reason the show is generally so consistent is that it has a set audience of around 1.6 - 1.7 million viewers who are going to tune in week after week as the show is "event television" for them. We've been hovering around this mark since mid season ten, and I think bar the show doing something to alienate viewers it'll probably stay around here till the show ends.

Then you'll get some weeks like last week where some other factor may increase that basic audience. Personally I tend to think it has to do with the promos convincing people that the episode is must see. Others thinks it's the quality of the preceding episode. Then of course there are factors unrelated to the show such as the weather keeping more people stuck inside.

• Love 2

It's also important to remember that Neilson work their ratings through sampling. Roughly, there are actually only 120,000 houses that are  used to compile the ratings data they use.

This means a 1.0 rating is actually 1200 houses. A 0.1 rating is roughly 120.

So when the show ticks up we could actually only be talking about an extra 50 viewers. That is why I personally think things such as the promos are probably the cause when we tick up beyond the norm.

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

It's also important to remember that Neilson work their ratings through sampling. Roughly, there are actually only 120,000 houses that are  used to compile the ratings data they use.

This means a 1.0 rating is actually 1200 houses. A 0.1 rating is roughly 120.

So when the show ticks up we could actually only be talking about an extra 50 viewers. That is why I personally think things such as the promos are probably the cause when we tick up beyond the norm.

That reasoning makes sense to me.  

• Love 1