Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

Thought we could use a thread for this since we're a week away from new episodes.

The two ratings sites I usually check are;

TV by the Numbers http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/

TV Media Insights http://www.tvmediainsights.com/forums/

Fast national numbers are usually announced around noon on Wednesdays.  The final numbers are announced usually any time after 5:00 the same day.

Quick note for the premiere - it's been reported that The Flash is going to run about 3 minutes late, which means Supernatural won't start until 9:02-9:03 next week, but will run until 10:02-10:03.  Set your DVRs accordingly! 

Edited by kimrey
  • Love 1

...or they could drop. Which they did. 2.48, 1.1. Still not bad, though!

Further ratings news. Our little engine that could is not getting slaughtered by AoS . SPN was 1.1 and AoS was 1.7.

Edited by catrox14
(edited)

KSite is reporting that the CW is going to show a repeat of the retrospective on 11/4.  That was the date the 200th episode was supposed to air.  At first I thought (and hoped!) that they were showing it at 8 to lead into the 200th episode, but nope, they're showing a repeat of The Flash as well.  Super lame.  Probably due to election day, but still lame.

Edited by kimrey

Actually I think it's a good move. It IS election day.  They really want a big "win" for #200 and losing viewers (potentially) to watching election results would just be...IDK..insulting or something.  November is sweeps month.  I think they probably only count how actual episodes do. So it's like not answering a question on some types of standardized tests.  Better to not "compete" that night than to take a hit. If the retrospective doesn't count in the calculations for advertising dollars, then averaging only first-run episodes with normal competition is a better choice.   

• Love 1

I don't have any use for TV Media Insights, mostly because of Marc Berman. I know this is wah wah wah, but he's never liked Supernatural and he will often find some reason to downgrade it (calling the show a "loser" this week because it didn't keep enough of Flash's lead-in - it's a 10-year-old show going against AoS, which is very similar in style). I wouldn't be shocked if the CW did move the show while the Flash hype is still going on, and I wouldn't be shocked if the ratings dipped some, but the show isn't a ratings loser at the moment.

Ratings mostly steady slight drop

t 9pm, Supernatural also remained virtually even week to week, matching last week in total viewers (2.1M) and M18-34 (0.8/3), and off just a tenth in A18-34 (0.8/3) and A18-49 (0.9/3)

The CW beat ABC for the night in A18-34 (1.0/4) and in W18-34 (1.0/3).

Year to year, The CW's Tuesday night is up +20% in total viewers (2.74M), +25% in A18-34 (1.0/4), and up +10% in A18-49 (1.1/3).

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/10/22/the-flash-and-supernatural-hold-steady/318188/

Edited by catrox14

I don't have any use for TV Media Insights, mostly because of Marc Berman. I know this is wah wah wah, but he's never liked Supernatural and he will often find some reason to downgrade it (calling the show a "loser" this week because it didn't keep enough of Flash's lead-in - it's a 10-year-old show going against AoS, which is very similar in style). I wouldn't be shocked if the CW did move the show while the Flash hype is still going on, and I wouldn't be shocked if the ratings dipped some, but the show isn't a ratings loser at the moment.

Yeah, I like TV by the Numbers better, but Berman usually gets the numbers up the fastest, shortly after 11 am.  Sometimes an hour before TV by the Numbers has them up.  I've pretty much stopped paying attention to his commentary because he's never seemed to like or care about Supernatural.  People used to call him out on it when he'd put it on his losers list, but I don't see much of that anymore.

Final numbers are in - .9 in the demo, 2.08 million viewers.  Pretty good considering it was up against the World Series last night.

• Love 1

Week 3 of Supernatural also scored big gains in delayed viewing, growing +35% in total viewers (2.08M to 2.8M), +38% in A18-34 (0.8 to 1.1), +38% in M18-34 (0.8 to 1.1), +44% in A18-49 (0.9 to 1.3) and +50% in M18-49 (0.8 to 1.2).

Supernatural had its biggest L+3 gains of the season in A18-34, M18-34, A18-49, and M18-49, and matched last week's increase in total viewers.

This is great news.

• Love 1

The 200th episode of Supernatural also saw significant increases in delayed viewing, and had its highest-rated and most-watched episode since its season premiere in L+3, gaining +35% in total viewers (2.16M to 2.92M), +35% in A18-34 (0.87 to 1.17), and 40% in A18-49 (0.92 to 1.3

• Love 1

I am ridiculously happy to see the rating rise. Now if Jensen could just get a frakking Emmy nomination I could die happy.

I really wonder if the demon!Dean /MoC SL is what is bringing up the rating or what.

Edited by catrox14

Ratings for Dec 2

At 9pm, Supernatural rose +3% over last week in total viewers (2.36M), and was steady in A18-34 (0.8/3), and A18-49 (0.9/3).

The CW had its most watched Tuesday night (3.29M) since the Flash series premiere on 10/7, and was up +14% over last week in total viewers, +10% in A18-34 (1.1/4) and +9% in A18-49 (1.2/4).

Versus this same week last year, The CW's Tuesday night is up +39% in total viewers, +10% in A18-34 and up +9% in A18-49.

CW Supernatural 0.9 3 2.33

• Love 1

Wow.  So with those numbers,  it seems pretty clear that if Jensen and Jared are willing to go another season, Supernatural is a lock for renewal.  This show has had such an unusual trajectory for a network (netlet?) series.  On the bubble for renewal in the first two years, significant mainstream attention in season 4, serious discussion about ending it with season five, and then blossoming in its later seasons to be one of the few series to increase viewership.  Now, 10 years in, and Supernatural has become the steadiest performer in the CW stable, and can continue, at least at this point, as long as they want.

• Love 1

They should just go ahead and renew this show now.

I bet Supernatural, The Flash, and Arrow will all be renewed by March of next of year, if not earlier.

Edited by kimrey

I don't know if I like this move. They finally landed on a night they were essentially anchoring. Ratings have been much better even before the Flash lead in. I assume that want to give iZombie the boost from the Flash.

Arrow is very popular BUT not as popular as Flash right now. Arrow is also going through some major transitions and I'm not sure how those transitions are going to fly. On the other hand the Arrow lead in sure makes my viewing easier because I pretty much only watch Arrow and Supernatural on the CW so that makes me happy.

And I wonder now if it's really not coming back for an 11th season.

I don't think it has anything to do with getting an 11th season.  I think they see The Flash as their highest rated show and wanted to give iZombie a good lead-in.  Supernatural pretty much gets the same numbers no matter what day of the week it's on, so moving it to a new night is no big deal.  People who watch it will follow it there.

I honestly expect Supernatural, The Flash, and Arrow to be renewed any time now.

Back to Wednesdays, eh...is there a week night Supernatural has not been on? Anyway, doesn't change my viewing habits because I usually stream it online anyway, but I think Arrow might be a better pairing than The Flash. And, Supernatural seems to stay pretty steady no matter where they land, so I don't expect it to affect them much.

I've been skeptical about an 11th season all season. Jared and Jensen haven't signed on yet and in the past that happened back in August and I don't think it'll get renewed without them onboard. As usual though, I could be wrong.

ETA: or what kimery said.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1
(edited)

The only night Supernatural hasn't been on is Monday.

Where did you hear that Jared and Jensen haven't signed on yet?  I mean, I haven't heard anything official, but the two of them have brought season 11 up a bunch of times.  It'd be weird to do that if they hadn't.  I'm thinking they have, we just haven't heard yet.

I would be shocked if there wasn't an 11th season.  Everyone involved with the show has made no indication that they're ready to stop yet and as long as they stays true, this show can go on for as long as it wants to.

Edited by kimrey
  • Love 1

TVBTN's staff and some fans went on about how SPN wasn't doing well enough considering Flash was its lead-in. I don't think CW is a lead-in network, but I guess they wanted to take the risk while Flash is so popular. 

I don't think it really affects whether or not there will be an 11th season. I assume there will be one, mostly because if there wasn't I think TPTB would have let us know by now, so unless something happens with contract negotiations I think there will be at least one last season. 

I imagine it may affect numbers somewhat, but it not being on against Agents of Shield may be a good thing, as I think they hurt each other ratings-wise. 

What is the Wed. 9 PM competition? I can't remember. 

Edited by Pete Martell
kimrey, on 11 Jan 2015 - 11:01 AM, said:

The only night Supernatural hasn't been on is Monday.

Where did you hear that Jared and Jensen haven't signed on yet?  I mean, I haven't heard anything official, but the two of them have brought season 11 up a bunch of times.  It'd be weird to do that if they hadn't.  I'm thinking they have, we just haven't heard yet.

I would be shocked if there wasn't an 11th season.  Everyone involved with the show has made no indication that they're ready to stop yet and as long as they stays true, this show can go on for as long as it wants to.

Officially, they haven't signed new contracts for another season. That doesn't mean they won't and maybe they're just waiting to see where this season goes, but in the past they've announced it in August. I know they've said they think the show can go on, but until they put their signatures where their mouth is and make it official, I'm not banking on it.

I just think it's weird that they haven't yet signed on if they have so much faith. Couple that with--okay this is kinda tangential and admittedly my own whack-a-do take on things--Jeffery Dean Morgan's sudden appearance at a couple cons, leading me to think he might have an appearance this season and kinda says "the end" to me. Add on top that I've gotten the feeling that Jensen and Jared are really enjoying themselves at cons this year, almost like they're trying to enjoy it while it lasts.  I don't know, I may be making some big leaps here, but what else is a girl to do, right?

I'm not surprised they haven't announced it. Supernatural fandom is loud and shouty and probably very tiresome to TPTB. If I was them, I wouldn't announce it until was too late too.

Edited by DittyDotDot

I never said anything about negotiations or contracts or anything of the sort.

I'm just wondering if the move back to Wednesdays means they aren't all that invested in SPN anymore which made me wonder if this is because they won't be back for an 11th season and they just haven't told the fans yet. 

And it could very well be the CW suits know that whatever audience SPN has it will go with them. HOWEVER, I've been reading and hearing in conventions that the show is picking up a new younger fans that seem to be in the ad demo they want so who knows.  Maybe they think it's a better pairing with Arrow and they think they'll get more male viewers which they seem to covet for ad purposes.  I dunno, just my speculation

Edited by catrox14
(edited)

But where have you heard officially that they haven't signed the contracts?  We only knew before because it came up at conventions.  Just because they haven't said anything publicly yet doesn't mean they haven't signed on.

I think they have.  I think the show will be renewed.  I actually think we will see at least 2 more seasons and I think that when it does end we will go into the final season knowing it's the last one.

Edited by kimrey

Given then number of conventions they've been doing and the topic of more seasons comes up IMO Jared is the one that says things about going 20 seasons. Jensen seems to hedge more and says as long as the quality is there and people are still watching he'll do more but at what point would he think the quality isn't there? I would think if they had signed on again it's something they would happily announce to keep the fans happy and coming back for more. If they announce the end is coming IMO they would still get ratings because even fans that might not watch regularly now would likely to tune in to see how the boys story ends.

It's also a matter of renewal from the network. The CW can say all they want that as long as the boys are willing so are they. But depending on much money it would take the boys to keep going the CW might balk.

Edited by catrox14