Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

Life is ironic.  I have not been scheduled to work on a Thursday night since I started my new job.  And next week, I'm working during the finale.  As much as a criticize the show I love it and have watched every finale live since s9. It just  amuses me that I won't be able to watch this one live. LOL

• Love 1
14 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Life is ironic.  I have not been scheduled to work on a Thursday night since I started my new job.  And next week, I'm working during the finale.  As much as a criticize the show I love it and have watched every finale live since s9. It just  amuses me that I won't be able to watch this one live. LOL

I'm sorry, that sucks for you but yay, new job! On a completely selfish note it also sucks for me since you're ahead of my time zone and I'll miss your thoughts prior to my viewing. ; )

• Love 1
15 hours ago, catrox14 said:

That sucks - I know. When Chicago area CW was on WGN, two finales were preempted with baseball games until the following Saturday. Well, hopefully, you'll be able to watch when you come home. Have a glass of wine, beer, whatever and enjoy!

• Love 2
On 5/12/2018 at 12:40 AM, catrox14 said:

Yeah, I feel you.  I’ve got to miss this one live too.  But in reality, it’s much cooler to watch it without commercials the next day.   I hope it’s s good one.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

If accurate, probably a request by J2 in order to re-sign.

Would do the show good either way.

That was my first assumption as well. Probably in liue of a raise, less episodes/work for same money. 

16 hours ago, Bobcatkitten said:

Yeah, dropping three episodes gives the boys close to a month more with their family and still gives us a decently long season. I hope it's that and not an indication that this is the last season.

If this was the final season they would have announced it at Upfronts along with the 3 other shows they announced as final season.

Also CW reduced LoT to 16 episodes (it got 18 this year) reduced Arrow, Supergirl and Flash by 1 episode and limited BL to 16. 

• Love 2

Looks like most of the shows have had their episodes reduced. I wonder if it's due to budget constraints on all the shows. Kind of like a layoff but instead of reducing personnel, they are reducing episodes.

32 minutes ago, Res said:

Looks like most of the shows have had their episodes reduced. I wonder if it's due to budget constraints on all the shows. Kind of like a layoff but instead of reducing personnel, they are reducing episodes.

I'd be more than surprised if either of the Js would re-sign for less money at this point. I feel like it would have to be negotiated time off that dovetailed nicely with the changes. 

No bad thing all round - the Js get more family time, and hopefully the rest of us get more tightly written episodes where the only flannel is on their backs!  You should try coming over to this side of the pond, where most shows apart from the soaps are only a handful of episodes long.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Maybe adding Sunday programming factored into the reduced episodes all around as well?

This makes total sense. Reduce other series by a few eps each to even out the cost of an extra night. 

Edited by Bobcatkitten
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

I hope the reduced number of episodes means we will get more Sam and Dean screen time.

You and me both! If the writers insist on the same amount of "filler" nonsense with fewer episodes in which to show it, I'm going to be an unhappy camper!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

I hope the reduced number of episodes means we will get more Sam and Dean screen time.

Surely you meant that it's finally time for the AltBobby/Mary romance and Rowena/AltCharlie road trip episodes we've all been waiting for

• Love 3

I don't know why they continue this archaic May Sweeps format.  It forces a series of start/stop hiatuses after the Christmas break so that the finale is scheduled during  May Sweeps and by that time the weather is nicer, evenings are lighter and no one is watching TV.  Ratings across the board generally drop in the Spring.  Hope this tightens things up to possibly  two batches of 10 episodes with one hiatus in between.

The boys have earned this reduced number and I hope they're getting the same pay.

Now if only the show could go back to 9pm which would fit in better with my evening schedule.  :-)

• Love 2
(edited)

EW Story

EW posted the 50 most watch shows of 2017-2018. Of course SPN isn't on it, but I think it's worth nothing that it went up against four of the top ten throughout the season (and baseball towards the end) and still held pretty steady in its ratings/audience. ETA: I think Young Sheldon followed BBT in the 8:00 hour - not positive as I didn't watch after the premiere (but I love me some BBT).

ratings.JPG

Edited by gonzosgirrl

h/t @tv echo in the Arrow forum.

http://www.thisisinsider.com/most-popular-tv-shows-right-now-2018-6#14-supernatural-cw-7

The 20 Most Popular TV Shows Right Now

To learn what shows have the most hype from fans, INSIDER worked with Parrot Analytics, which compiles available global data on social media, blogging, pirating, and other factors to figure out the viewer demand for shows.

Parrot assigned each series an "expressions" total that reflects average daily audience demand from all countries from April 8 to June 6, 2018 (adjusted for each country's population).

Keep scrolling to see the 20 most popular TV shows right now.

14. "Supernatural" (CW)

Average Demand Expressions: 2.98 million

"Supernatural" follows the story of two brothers who hunt demons, ghosts, monsters, and (you guessed it) a host of other supernatural things. This popular fantasy TV series was renewed for a 14th season on the CW ahead of the 13th season finale last month.

I feel like grumpy old man from SNL shouting "back in my day" because that description doesn't really match with the show I've seen for many seasons. Maybe that explains why I don't like what's on tv these days, I'm too old and grumpy.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, trxr4kids said:

I feel like grumpy old man from SNL shouting "back in my day" because that description doesn't really match with the show I've seen for many seasons. Maybe that explains why I don't like what's on tv these days, I'm too old and grumpy.

Right there with you!

• Love 2
(edited)

According to TVLine, Supernatural will premiere on Thursday, Oct 11 at 8PM Eastern, 7PM Central. I find it amusing that for the first two weeks, they are showing "premiere encores" of two different shows following Supernatural. On the third week, the premiere of "Legacies" follows our show. I think that show stays in that time slot.

Edited by FlickChick
Clarity
14 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

According to TVLine, Supernatural will premiere on Thursday, Oct 11 at 8PM Eastern, 7PM Central. I find it amusing that for the first two weeks, they are showing "premiere encores" of two different shows. On the third week, the premiere of "Legacies" follows our show. I think that show stays in that time slot.

It's weird they aren't showing SPN in those early time slots, but I prefer this later start than adding another or longer hiatus during the season.  I just hope it actually makes a difference in the storytelling.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

It's weird they aren't showing SPN in those early time slots, but I prefer this later start than adding another or longer hiatus during the season.  I just hope it actually makes a difference in the storytelling.  

I edited my original post. They are showing SPN starting on Oct. 11th at 8PM/7PM. What I was trying to say is that the network is showing three different shows after it on the first three weeks. That tells me that they consider SPN to be a strong show and want to use it to showcase their new offerings. Sorry for the confusion.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

I edited my original post. They are showing SPN starting on Oct. 11th at 8PM/7PM. What I was trying to say is that the network is showing three different shows after it on the first three weeks. That tells me that they consider SPN to be a strong show and want to use it to showcase their new offerings. Sorry for the confusion.

Ok, then I guess that does mean another, or even longer hiatuses throughout the season.  I hate those!

All I know is Dean's 40th birthday is on January 29th, 2019 and it's a Thursday. I am gonna be hella disappointed if the show doesn't acknowledge it in some way. I bet Dean in the pilot never thought he'd live to see 40.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

All I know is Dean's 40th birthday is on January 29th, 2019 and it's a Thursday. I am gonna be hella disappointed if the show doesn't acknowledge it in some way. I bet Dean in the pilot never thought he'd live to see 40.

Is he going to be 40 years old or do they count his 40 years in hell also?  So maybe he's like going to be 80.

24 minutes ago, bozodegama said:

Is he going to be 40 years old or do they count his 40 years in hell also?  So maybe he's like going to be 80.

LOL, well he also has a few different '(re)birthdays' by any measure, but for party purposes, I say 40 on the 24th of January ;)

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, FlickChick said:

According to my count, episode 300 should be S14E12. There are currently 288 episodes of Supernatural. How they will spread out this season with only 20 episodes is anyone's guess.

IMHO it doesn't matter. If Singer and Dabb are still in charge, we'll just get another fan-service PoC that will play to the noisiest tumblr/twitter crowd. Which means I'll pass.

No offense to those who enjoyed "Fanfiction". I believe it was one of the worst episodes ever devised.

Edited by Res
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, FlickChick said:

According to my count, episode 300 should be S14E12. There are currently 288 episodes of Supernatural. How they will spread out this season with only 20 episodes is anyone's guess.

Jason Fischer was on Twitter and he says after multiple counts that there are 287 episodes and episode 13 will be 300.

2 hours ago, Bobcatkitten said:

Jason Fischer was on Twitter and he says after multiple counts that there are 287 episodes and episode 13 will be 300.

I concur.

1. 22
  2. 22
  3. 16
  4. 22
  5. 22
  6. 22
  7. 23
  8. 23
  9. 23
  10. 23
  11. 23
  12. 23
  13. 23

= 287

So 14x13 will be 300.

I wonder if some people are counting 2x21 and 2x22 as one episode, since it was really the only genuine two-part episode (as in the same title for two episodes). Since it aired in consecutive weeks, it counts for two, and by the count for episodes 100 and 300, they counted it as two, so...   14x13 will be episode 300.

5 hours ago, Jakes said:

Just as an aside--Kripke's TIMELESS was just and finally(way after the season) cancelled.

Too bad; I really enjoyed it. Regarding the episodes, I went to TV.com for the count and they inserted a fake episode for this past season, throwing my count off. Really stupid. Anyway, you are correct, the 300th will be episode 13. Thanks. :)

On 6/20/2018 at 3:20 PM, FlickChick said:

I also think that’s what it means.  I think they are also trying to see if there is ANY way to retain the SPN crowd. I suspect they know Legacies is going to get a cold shoulder.

• Love 1
On 6/20/2018 at 6:20 PM, FlickChick said:

Yep and it's not surprising, they've actually used SPN to launch a new series before (Arrow, Flash, Riverdale come to mind).

Supernatural is a proven show supporter IMO.

I just read that this coming season will be Big Bang Theory's last. Given it airs against SPNs first half hour, I can only imagine it will be a ratings grabber, especially toward the end. Hopefully CW doesn't try to compete with their finale.

• Love 1
Just now, Bobcatkitten said:

I saw that. Any chance it will be gone in the U.S.? 

I don't think so. IIRC, The CW has a contract with Netflix that I think they negotiated for like 4 or 5 years a couple of years ago. 

47 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Not surprising really. SPN doesn't even air on a regular network here. It has been a couple years now that it airs on the Space channel - our equivalent of your Sci-Fi Channel (which I think changed names?). In any case, I'm not surprised if it wasn't getting a lot of action on Netflix, especially if they change the great music of the early seasons.

I have all dvds except 12 and 13 so I’m ok.  I rarely watch on Netflix anyway because they cut music and some scenes. 

We Canadians get a raw deal when it comes to Netflix.  About a third of the offerings on US, but we pay same price.  

But thankfully the new season is on our Space channel. Otherwise I’d have to pay for the extra channel package and it’s not cheap.