Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

Last year we got 0.8 and 180+ at this time.  Oh well, times are changing.  People don't watch live anymore.

S13 it was getting 0.6/0.7 in the demo.

S12 it was getting 0.7 in the demo

S11 it was getting 0.7 in the demo

S10 it was getting 0.9/1.0 in the demo

All of these numbers can be verified by checking Spotted Ratings Vault for November ratings as well as the yearly/seasonal average.

Ratings cannot be viewed in a vacuum. Viewing has switched massively from live to delayed over the years. The Network and (at least) Arrow Producers have stated that the CW App/online viewing has increased and, let's not forget that the new Netflix Deal has the full season available within days of the Season finale airing live, instead of being available post DVD release which was a few weeks before the next season premiered.  All of this has contributed not only to SPNs decline in Live ratings but The CW as a whole.

4 years ago around this time, The Flash scored a 1.4 in the demo, it just hit a 0.6 (which may be a series low). So ratings have dropped all over The CW network.

SPN being 14 years old has better ratings than all 3 new shows that launched this season.

Season Averages to Date (per spotted ratings)

The Flash 0.68

Riverdale 0.45

Supernatural 0.41

Arrow 0.40

Charmed 0.39

Supergirl 0.38

Black Lightning 0.35

Legacies 0.31

LoT 0.30

All American 0.25

Dynasty 0.18

Crazy Ex 0.13

I'm honestly lost at the claims that SPNs ratings are bad. It's the oldest show on the network and currently ranked #3 on the Network.

And yes ratings will drop in the Spring they always do but guess what?! Ratings on the whole network drop in the spring. 

• Love 4

The CW as a whole has gone down a bunch this year more than most networks--since it's demo is younger than the other networks, I think they are moving faster in cord cutting...so the Nielsen ratings miss a bunch of them.

Edited by Jakes
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Jakes said:

The CW as a whole has gone down a bunch this year more than most networks--since it's demo is younger than the other networks, I think they are moving faster in cord cutting...so the Nielsen ratings miss a bunch of them.

Yep. I also wonder if Pedowitz has put too many eggs in DC's basket.  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

S13 it was getting 0.6/0.7 in the demo.

S12 it was getting 0.7 in the demo

S11 it was getting 0.7 in the demo

S10 it was getting 0.9/1.0 in the demo

All of these numbers can be verified by checking Spotted Ratings Vault for November ratings as well as the yearly/seasonal average.

Ratings cannot be viewed in a vacuum. Viewing has switched massively from live to delayed over the years. The Network and (at least) Arrow Producers have stated that the CW App/online viewing has increased and, let's not forget that the new Netflix Deal has the full season available within days of the Season finale airing live, instead of being available post DVD release which was a few weeks before the next season premiered.  All of this has contributed not only to SPNs decline in Live ratings but The CW as a whole.

4 years ago around this time, The Flash scored a 1.4 in the demo, it just hit a 0.6 (which may be a series low). So ratings have dropped all over The CW network.

SPN being 14 years old has better ratings than all 3 new shows that launched this season.

Season Averages to Date (per spotted ratings)

The Flash 0.68

Riverdale 0.45

Supernatural 0.41

Arrow 0.40

Charmed 0.39

Supergirl 0.38

Black Lightning 0.35

Legacies 0.31

LoT 0.30

All American 0.25

Dynasty 0.18

Crazy Ex 0.13

I'm honestly lost at the claims that SPNs ratings are bad. It's the oldest show on the network and currently ranked #3 on the Network.

And yes ratings will drop in the Spring they always do but guess what?! Ratings on the whole network drop in the spring. 

It's the Live+3 where we are getting killed.  Flash, Arrow, Riverdale and SG all have huge increases in demos and viewers.  SPN languishes at the bottom of the heap every week.  We do pick up more viewers but not anything near what those shows do.  Also we haven't trended on SM at all this year.  The others have.  This is definitely a down year for Supernatural.

• Love 2

How much difference does the the Live + 3 make to the other shows' demo?  And do the people at the top take note of things like Live+ 3 demos? 

I think Supernatural has a loyal audience, but they're drifting away because of repetitive storylines.  Same thing with TWD. I never missed an episode, but I haven't watched now in 2 years.  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

It's the Live+3 where we are getting killed.  Flash, Arrow, Riverdale and SG all have huge increases in demos and viewers.  SPN languishes at the bottom of the heap every week.  We do pick up more viewers but not anything near what those shows do.  Also we haven't trended on SM at all this year.  The others have.  This is definitely a down year for Supernatural.

I could only find 3 of the Live+7 posted in the Arrow thread but SPN is not doing as bad as you imply in the Live+7. I've never found a reliable longtime source for Live+3 (usually just early in the season).

But of the 3 I found SPN was #4, #6 and #4 (most recent) of the CW shows for the weeks posted. Which, considering the show is 14 years old is not bad at all.

Ratings are there for a specific purpose and, it's not to justify fandom's opinions on quality.  Ratings are there to determine a shows renewal/ad rates and, to a lesser extent) budget.  In SPNs case WB is most likely footing the bill for SPN, giving it to the CW for free/cheap (they did the same for Smallville in its last few seasons becuase the show was super profitable in DVD and international sales). 

Looking at Live+SD and Live+7 SPN, at 14 years old is generally beating the freshman class and, shows that are much younger and more heavily promoted and given a cushy post Flash spot (Black Lightning).

Would I love for SPN to be #1 or #2? Absolutely! I've watched SPN for 14 years, it's the only show on the CW that I actually still watch weekly. However, I know it's not going to nor is it expected to be the best rated show on the CW.  However, the show's ratings are more than solid enough at this point in the season to justify a renewal for S15 and possibly even S16 (actors contracts and ratings permitting).

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

However, the show's ratings are more than solid enough at this point in the season to justify a renewal for S15 and possibly even S16 (actors contracts and ratings permitting).

ITA.  I think S15 at 20 episodes is probably a given -- because I think that's what the boys signed on for.  The ONLY question is whether they announce 15 as "the end" at the Upfronts (ala Smallville) or hope for a S16. I think the ratings would lead them to want to milk the show for another season.  And I think the boys would sign onto S16 if S15 wasn't a pre-announced final year.  But THEY might call it at S16 and suggest only one more year at that time.  

In short, it's possible things will go differently, but I expect renewal for 15 and 'news' at the end of S15 about S16.  Yes, that's 18 months before a final season announcement IMO.  At the earliest.  

Edited by SueB
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I could only find 3 of the Live+7 posted in the Arrow thread but SPN is not doing as bad as you imply in the Live+7. I've never found a reliable longtime source for Live+3 (usually just early in the season).

But of the 3 I found SPN was #4, #6 and #4 (most recent) of the CW shows for the weeks posted. Which, considering the show is 14 years old is not bad at all.

Ratings are there for a specific purpose and, it's not to justify fandom's opinions on quality.  Ratings are there to determine a shows renewal/ad rates and, to a lesser extent) budget.  In SPNs case WB is most likely footing the bill for SPN, giving it to the CW for free/cheap (they did the same for Smallville in its last few seasons becuase the show was super profitable in DVD and international sales). 

Looking at Live+SD and Live+7 SPN, at 14 years old is generally beating the freshman class and, shows that are much younger and more heavily promoted and given a cushy post Flash spot (Black Lightning).

Would I love for SPN to be #1 or #2? Absolutely! I've watched SPN for 14 years, it's the only show on the CW that I actually still watch weekly. However, I know it's not going to nor is it expected to be the best rated show on the CW.  However, the show's ratings are more than solid enough at this point in the season to justify a renewal for S15 and possibly even S16 (actors contracts and ratings permitting).

Live +7 doesn't count as much as Live+3 to advertisers. I'm not saying it is doing badly.  It isn't.  It's just the other CW shows are doing better in +3 than SPN is and on SM.

3 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

How much difference does the the Live + 3 make to the other shows' demo?  And do the people at the top take note of things like Live+ 3 demos? 

I think Supernatural has a loyal audience, but they're drifting away because of repetitive storylines.  Same thing with TWD. I never missed an episode, but I haven't watched now in 2 years.  

Live+3 is more important to advertisers.  They want to see the shows retention over a few days.  That is how they determine where their advertising dollars go.

6 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Live +7 doesn't count as much as Live+3 to advertisers. I'm not saying it is doing badly.  It isn't.  It's just the other CW shows are doing better in +3 than SPN is and on SM.

Here are the Live+3 numbers for the CW so far. Other than premiere week; Supernatural either grew as much as the rest of the network or, in cases where SPN had higher Live+SD demo it ended up growing less but matching the Live+3 demos for the bulk of the network.

Live+3 Weeks of 110518 (Flash and BL didn't air for Election coverage)

Riverdale 0.4 to 0.8

Supergirl, Supernatural and Arrow all went from 0.3 to 0.6

Charmed, LoT and Legacies all went from 0.3 to 0.5

All American  0.3 to 0.4

Crazy Ex  0.1 to 0.2

Dynasty didn't grow at all from the 0.2

Live+3 for week of 102918 (Riverdale and All American didn't air because of Halloween)

The Flash 0.7 to 1.1

Supernatural 0.4 to 0.7

Charmed and LoT 0.3 to 0.6

Arrow and Supergirl 0.4 to 0.6

Black Lightning 0.3 to 0.5

Legacies 0.4 to 0.5

Crazy Ex and Dynasty 0.1 to 0.2

Live+3 for week 102218

The Flash 0.7 to 1.2

Riverdale 0.5 to 0.8

Arrow, Black Lightning, Supernatural and Supergirl 0.4 to 0.6

Legacies 0.3 to 0.5

All American 0.3 to 0.4

Crazy Ex 0.1 to 0.2

Dynasty no increase held at 0.2

Live+3 for week 101518

Flash 0.7 to 1.1

Charmed and Riverdale 0.4 to 0.8

Arrow and Supergirl 0.4 to 0.7 

Supernatural 0.5 to 0.7

Crazy Ex 0.1 to 0.2

All American and Dynasty 0.2 to 0.3

Live+3 for week of 100818

Riverdale 0.5 to 1.0

Charmed 0.5 to 0.9

Flash 0.8 to 1.2

Supergirl 0.5 to 0.8

Black Lightning 0.4 to 0.6

Supernatural 0.5 to 0.7

Crazy Ex 0.1 to 0.2

The only thing the Live+3 numbers tell me is that the bulk of the network is very close in ratings with Flash/Riverdale being on the high end of the spectrum, with Crazy Ex and Dynasty on the low end. Everything else is right in the middle.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Here are the Live+3 numbers for the CW so far. Other than premiere week; Supernatural either grew as much as the rest of the network or, in cases where SPN had higher Live+SD demo it ended up growing less but matching the Live+3 demos for the bulk of the network.

Live+3 Weeks of 110518 (Flash and BL didn't air for Election coverage)

Riverdale 0.4 to 0.8

Supergirl, Supernatural and Arrow all went from 0.3 to 0.6

Charmed, LoT and Legacies all went from 0.3 to 0.5

All American  0.3 to 0.4

Crazy Ex  0.1 to 0.2

Dynasty didn't grow at all from the 0.2

Live+3 for week of 102918 (Riverdale and All American didn't air because of Halloween)

The Flash 0.7 to 1.1

Supernatural 0.4 to 0.7

Arrow and Supergirl 0.4 to 0.6

Legacies 0.4 to 0.5

Crazy Ex and Dynasty 0.1 to 0.2

Live+3 for week 102218

The Flash 0.7 to 1.2

Riverdale 0.5 to 0.8

Arrow, Black Lightning, Supernatural and Supergirl 0.4 to 0.6

Legacies 0.3 to 0.5

All American 0.3 to 0.4

Crazy Ex 0.1 to 0.2

Dynasty no increase held at 0.2

Live+3 for week 101518

Flash 0.7 to 1.1

Charmed and Riverdale 0.4 to 0.8

Arrow and Supergirl 0.4 to 0.7 

Supernatural 0.5 to 0.7

Crazy Ex 0.1 to 0.2

Live+3 for week of 100818

Riverdale 0.5 to 1.0

Charmed 0.5 to 0.9

Flash 0.8 to 1.2

Supergirl 0.5 to 0.8

Black Lightning 0.4 to 0.6

Supernatural 0.5 to 0.7

Crazy Ex 0.1 to 0.2

The only thing the Live+3 numbers tell me is that the bulk of the network is very close in ratings with Flash/Riverdale being on the high end of the spectrum, with Crazy Ex and Dynasty on the low end. Everything else is right in the middle.

It is also the number of viewers not just the demo.

42 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

It is also the number of viewers not just the demo.

Viewers don't matter only demo. 

But since you brought it up, viewer growth are listed on the bottom chart at this links.

Riverdale 1.37 to 2.2

Supernatural 1.35 to 1.99

Supergirl 1.16 to 1.85

Everything else falls below Supergirl

Flash 1.85 to 2.7

Supernatural 1.45 to 2.06

Supergirl 1.23 to 1.96

Flash 1.875 to 2.97

Riverdale  1.40 to 2.12

Supernatural 1.40 to 2.01

Supergirl 1.29 to 1.94

Flash 1.68 to 2.75

Charmed 1.3 to 2.1

Riverdale 1.28 to 2.09

Supergirl 1.34 to 2.13

Supernatural 1.53 to 2.25

Arrow 1.43 to 2.08

Everything else falls below Arrow

I didn't bother with the last week because it's kinda of obvious that Supernatural isn't falling behind in Live+3 viewers or demo. It's pretty steadily in the Top 5 and in most cases Top 3 for The CW Network.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
On 11/16/2018 at 10:26 PM, Casseiopeia said:

Perhaps but every ratings expert says the live+3 are not important when they networks judge their shows.   So it's irrelevant in when they compare their shows--90% plus they look at day one ratings...and then outside incomes, costs, ownership, etc.

• Love 1

So SuperGirl and Charmed got 0.3's again--Supernatural just edges out Riverdale and Arrow in 0.4 territory to be second only behind the Flash again on the CW.    Very impressive for season 14 where almost all shows would be long deceased...the show is as hard to kill as Dean, Sam and Cas.

On 11/17/2018 at 7:03 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

Viewers don't matter only demo. 

But since you brought it up, viewer growth are listed on the bottom chart at this links.

Riverdale 1.37 to 2.2

Supernatural 1.35 to 1.99

Supergirl 1.16 to 1.85

Flash 1.85 to 2.7

Supernatural 1.45 to 2.06

Supergirl 1.23 to 1.96

Flash 1.875 to 2.97

Riverdale  1.40 to 2.12

Supernatural 1.40 to 2.01

Supergirl 1.29 to 1.94

Flash 1.68 to 2.75

Charmed 1.3 to 2.1

Riverdale 1.28 to 2.09

Supergirl 1.34 to 2.13

Supernatural 1.53 to 2.25

Arrow 1.43 to 2.08

Everything else falls below Arrow

I didn't bother with the last week because it's kinda of obvious that Supernatural isn't falling behind in Live+3 viewers or demo. It's pretty steadily in the Top 5 and in most cases Top 3 for The CW Network.

Yeah including live+3 ratings SPN's #'s either top 2 or 3 with only Riverdale challenging it behind Flash.

Edited by Jakes
  • Love 2

Unrounded Live+SD for last week. Posted by @Starfish35 in the Arrow ratings thread.

The Flash ............................. 0.622

Riverdale .............................. 0.440

Supernatural ........................ 0.414

Arrow ............................. 0.395

Legacies .............................. 0.341

Supergirl .............................. 0.325

Charmed .............................. 0.290

Black Lightning .................... 0.277

Legends of Tomorrow .......... 0.273

All American ........................ 0.265

Dynasty ............................... 0.212

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend .............. 0.150

• Love 3

Courtesy of @Starfish35 in the Arrow forum

CW Live+7 ratings for the week of November 12-18. (Programming Insider)

The Flash - 1.28, 3.230 million.

Riverdale - 0.87, 2.259 million.

Supernatural - 0.75, 2.334 million.

Arrow - 0.67, 1.939 million. (#705 - The Demon)

Supergirl - 0.65, 2.117 million.

Charmed - 0.62, 1.835 million.

Legacies - 0.57, 1.740 million.

Legends of Tomorrow - 0.56, 1.652 million.

Black Lightning - 0.55, 1.589 million.

All American - 0.40*, 1.120 million.

Dynasty - 0.28, 0.899 million*.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - 0.27, 0.623 million.

Do you think someone might notice and think..."hmm...no Nick/Lucifer, ratings up"?

Nah.  (More likely, they'll think "oh, we need more Jack in jeopardy!")  *sigh*

Edited by ahrtee
  • Love 5
40 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Do you think someone might notice and think..."hmm...no Nick/Lucifer, ratings up"?

Nah.  (More likely, they'll think "oh, we need more Jack in jeopardy!")  *sigh*

Also "Oh, if we'd had Lucifer in it the ratings would have been EVEN HIGHER!"

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Myrelle said:

I think it's pathetic that 1.5 mil is ticking "up" now.

That's just the way it is--All networks are down and more and more are cutting cords.  That said VERY impressive showing for SPN...showing real legs all year and this episode about the highest rated of the whole year.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Jakes said:

That's just the way it is--All networks are down and more and more are cutting cords.  That said VERY impressive showing for SPN...showing real legs all year and this episode about the highest rated of the whole year.

Arrow and SPN both ticked up this week, not sure why but, it is nice to see the 2 oldest shows out performing everything else (except Flash).

• Love 3

Live Ratings (Overnights)    Final Same Day        Live +3                     Live +7

18-49               0.40                  .40                      .64(+50%)                 0.73(+70%)

Total Viewers

1.426M            1.431M                2.00M (+40%)            2.28M(+56%)

So a .4  to a  .7 with over 2 million viewers in Live+7  Not too bad

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

https://tvline.com/2018/12/28/ratings-2018-2019-tv-season-cw-best-worst/

cw-midseason-ratings-1.jpg

4th place (or 3rd since Arrow and Riverdale are tied for 2nd) in Live+SD. Probably same or perhaps slightly better when looking at Live+7.

Actually SPN really will end up ahead of Arrow into 3rd place alone since Arrow got a temporary "Flash boost" with the yearly merging of the DC shows.  Without that Arrow would be solidly behind SPN and will slip behind it again as the year goes on.  It may even scoot ahead of Riverdale for second place since it's so close and SPN tends to hold the best during the year for CW shows.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Jakes said:

Actually SPN really will end up ahead of Arrow into 3rd place alone since Arrow got a temporary "Flash boost" with the yearly merging of the DC shows.  Without that Arrow would be solidly behind SPN and will slip behind it again as the year goes on.  It may even scoot ahead of Riverdale for second place since it's so close and SPN tends to hold the best during the year for CW shows.

That's a good point. I forgot about the huge boost (0.8) for the crossover. And yeah, I would like to see a table like that for the final ratings because it is possible for SPN to end the season in 2nd place.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Although the article is about how Netflix could lose it's biggest show, I'm simply thrilled to find out Supernatural is the 6th biggest show on Netflix.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/1/7/18166911/netflix-friends-the-office-crisis

Of all the GAZILLION shows on Netflix.  Our little show that could is still Kicking It In the Ass!  Damn, I'm proud of them.

And yes, it's a worry WB will try to spin off it's own TV streaming service.

• Love 6

Looking at SpoilerTV's "Cancel Bear", Supernatural is not only "looking safe" for a 15th season - it's the 15th highest (based on their numbers) show in terms of likely to return.  Others with worse numbers have been renewed but Superantural is looking good.  Also it's second on the CW only to The Flash and way above Supergirl, Arrow and Riverdale. 

https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/09/spoilertv-cancellation-predictor-table.html

Edited by SueB
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, SueB said:

Looking at SpoilerTV's "Cancel Bear", Supernatural is not only "looking safe" for a 15th season - it's the 15th highest (based on their numbers) show in terms of likely to return.  Others with worse numbers have been renewed but Superantural is looking good.  Also it's second on the CW only to The Flash and way above Supergirl, Arrow and Riverdale. 

https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/09/spoilertv-cancellation-predictor-table.html

I'm not surprised that Supernatural would be considered safe, since I believe that a "final season" would definitely be in order for this series.

• Love 2

Although the article is about how Netflix could lose it's biggest show, I'm simply thrilled to find out Supernatural is the 6th biggest show on Netflix.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/1/7/18166911/netflix-friends-the-office-crisis

Of all the GAZILLION shows on Netflix.  Our little show that could is still Kicking It In the Ass!  Damn, I'm proud of them.

And yes, it's a worry WB will try to spin off it's own TV streaming service.

I`d be interested in some global Netflix data for TV shows but that is probably really hard to meassure since different things are on the service in different countries. I think the two arguably most globally popular shows are Game of Thrones and Walking Dead. Beyond that, it`s a lot more localized. 

• Love 1

I hope Nihilism receives decent ratings.  It really was a step above most episodes so far this season.  I'm a bit worried that some folk might've tuned in thinking they were going to see Mr and Mrs Winchester (AKA Ice Queen and Negan) and so changed channels.  There was a lot of promo for the return of JDM but not very clear about the air date.

Fingers crossed.

It's also unsurprising that more people checked out after a pretty lackluster first half of the season. It's a crying fecking shame, when you see the potential they had (given the quality of last night's ep). More of this Michael early on would have held a lot more people's attention. IMO.

• Love 6