Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

29 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Not surprising, but yes, disappointing for the best episode of the season.

Their promo dept sucks so very hard.

This so much. They could have hyped up a Dean on Michael fight or the confrontation overall instead of the God can die thing. 

But those are roughly the numbers the mid-Season Finale did get, aren`t they? I don`t think you could expect huge growth. Next episode is probably gonna profit more if people liked this one. Ratings usually reflect that.

I doubt in general even the PTB look at ratings per episode and go with "this is what people want". Otherwise every single episode should have been Dean hooking up with an old flame as that episode holds the ratings record for best this show ever had. Even the Wayward Pilot ratings were good-ish and the network still said "no thanks" and gave Legacies a greenlight when Originals at that time dumpster-dived their ratings. 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

But those are roughly the numbers the mid-Season Finale did get, aren`t they? I don`t think you could expect huge growth. Next episode is probably gonna profit more if people liked this one. Ratings usually reflect that.

That's always been my contention.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

The top 4 or 5 what?

CW shows for the week.  Riverdale rated higher as did  Roswell.  Supergirl and Charmed will be back Sunday for their midseason premiere.  Unless we adjust up this afternoon it isn't looking good for this week.   Too bad it was a great episode but it unfortunately followed a very boring subpar midseason finale.

Supernatural was trending at #2 for most of the evening.  Hopefully that will help in the final ratings.

It should easily be the Nr.2 or Nr.3 show on CW, right? The Flash is first and I think Roswell is  tied in demo and did better in viewers. But that was the Series Pilot so of course it got sampling. I foresee a rather steep drop from that, though, because the original show might have been cheesy teen romance back in the day (and I loved it) but the reboot was pretty anemic compared to it. 

Riverdale rated higher

Forgot RD since I don`t watch. Only hear this Season is a hot mess. 

SPG and Charmed are dark horses. I`m not sure they will do that much better than normally. Neither really had super-amazing mid-Season Finales. Supergirl in particular needs to tone it down a notch with the heavy-handedness. 

Edited by Aeryn13

What's odd is that the episode is still not up on Amazon.  I always watch the next day without commercials, but it's now Saturday, and still it's not available.  I wonder what gives?  Does anyone else watch that way, or maybe with iTunes?  Have you been able to find the episode?

1 hour ago, MysteryGuest said:

What's odd is that the episode is still not up on Amazon.  I always watch the next day without commercials, but it's now Saturday, and still it's not available.  I wonder what gives?  Does anyone else watch that way, or maybe with iTunes?  Have you been able to find the episode?

I purchased it on google play and this has been happening all the time with episodes and I wish I hadnt of bothered spending the money on it.  Because I am impatient, we have had to find other ways to watch it on friday night.  I didnt have this problem last season though.  Season 13 episodes were always released the next day.... give or take maybe one episode.

The CW is free, but there are commercial breaks.  I've watched on Amazon this way for the past 4 seasons, and this has never happened before.  I wondered if the CW was holding it back for some reasons, but that doesn't make any sense.  I'll keep checking.

21 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

The CW is free, but there are commercial breaks.  I've watched on Amazon this way for the past 4 seasons, and this has never happened before.  I wondered if the CW was holding it back for some reasons, but that doesn't make any sense.  I'll keep checking.

I thought all Prime was the same, but in Canada, Supernatural doesn't seem to be on Prime at all. I do see Nihilism available on iTunes Canada.

2 hours ago, MysteryGuest said:

It is up on Itunes I rewatched it yesterday.  I usually watch on Amazon but so far it isn't available yet.

I thought all Prime was the same, but in Canada, Supernatural doesn't seem to be on Prime at all. I do see Nihilism available on iTunes Canada.

I just read something about Amazon Prime currently suspending WB shows. Which would include SPN. No idea, are they in some kind of contract negotiations?

I thought I read something about Warner Bros. looking at starting their own streaming service. Just what everyone needs - another $$ account. If they do, they'll probably take their own shows off of other streaming services so they're available only with their account. Perhaps this is the beginning.

3 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

I thought I read something about Warner Bros. looking at starting their own streaming service. Just what everyone needs - another $$ account. If they do, they'll probably take their own shows off of other streaming services so they're available only with their account. Perhaps this is the beginning.

I've read they were starting with a DCEU channel but I didnt think SPN nor other non DC shows would be affected.

I ended up watching it on Google Play (thanks, Reganne!), since it's still not up on Amazon.  If every damn network decides to start their own streaming service, they're going to lose viewers.  I watch one show on the CW, and that's SPN.  I will not be paying a monthly fee to watch one show.  If they pull it from Netflix and other sources, then sadly, I won't be seeing it.  I already pay for Netflix, Hulu, HBO and Amazon Prime.  I don't have any intention of paying more for streaming services that I was paying for cable.  It's ludicrous.  It's a good thing I love to read...

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

We didn't trend last night and the show was preempted in some markets.  Hopefully it won't adjust down.

Fast-Demo-2019-Jan-24.THU_.png

No but Happy Birthday Dean Winchester trended for a while yesterday. :)  Let's hope they noticed that at least.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Now synopsis` are out for Arrow, Flash and Roswell but not any other CW shows, leading me to think there won`t be a new episode on Feb. 14th. 

I guess with only nine episodes left in the season were going to have more off weeks than usual? Or is it just ending earlier?

I guess with only nine episodes left in the season were going to have more off weeks than usual? Or is it just ending earlier?

Yes, the Finale airs on April 25th. I assumed it was airing straight through (most of) February, then have a hiatus in most of March and return for the final 5 or so episodes. I do know April 4th is a new episode. 

They could take random breaks for February and March but that is not good scheduling. It annoys audiences and stops even the flow of weekly watching. It`s like being in a traffic jam, stop and go, stop and go.

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

Yes, the Finale airs on April 25th. I assumed it was airing straight through (most of) February, then have a hiatus in most of March and return for the final 5 or so episodes. I do know April 4th is a new episode. 

They could take random breaks for February and March but that is not good scheduling. It annoys audiences and stops even the flow of weekly watching. It`s like being in a traffic jam, stop and go, stop and go.

Wow they aren't going for May sweeps? That's... interesting?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Wow they aren't going for May sweeps? That's... interesting?

This just fuels my spec that Jensen is going to take a hiatus. I mean they should be done filming by the end of March?  And they could hold back the eps until May.  I wonder if the show has  decided on an end date and the ratings and sweeps don't matter to the network anymore.  I dunno. It is really odd for sure.

• Love 2

This just fuels my spec that Jensen is going to take a hiatus. I mean they should be done filming by the end of March?

The Finale this year films from March 14th to March 22th so basically yes. 

As for ending earlier, I think this has less to do with SPN and more with how the CW is going about scheduling nowadays. Lots of shows share timeslots now in terms of fall / spring / summer. Or even in the Fall Season, last Season Supergirl took a long break for another show, this Season it is Legends of Tomorrow.

I believe iZombie premieres its final short Season on Thursday May 2nd in Supernatural`s timeslot because the new show "In the Dark" starts airing once "Legacies" finishes its first Season at the end of March. 

Here you can basically find the CW`s rather complicated scheduling.   :)

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Love 1

All incredibly expected renewals. The DCTV shows practically were renewed mid-December last year with the next x-over announcement title card. And SPN - whenever it ends - will get a "final Season" announcement.   

8 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I had to smile... someone plaintively tweeted “we’ll never see Jensen Ackles in anything else will we?”...

Doesn't seem likely. Though who knows, every season the show is renewed now is only going to see increasingly less and less of the Js. Pretty soon they'll barely show up at all. Either that or they could cut down the episode order to 13 episodes like Jensen wants, and then maybe he can take another gig, like a movie or something.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Aeryn13 said:

And SPN - whenever it ends - will get a "final Season" announcement

Just because they got an early renewal doesn't mean we know the details. As in: how many episodes they film and IF it is a final season. We probably won't know that until the up-fronts in May.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, FlickChick said:

Just because they got an early renewal doesn't mean we know the details. As in: how many episodes they film and IF it is a final season. We probably won't know that until the up-fronts in May.

If it's the final season it's because the Js are don with the show and, that's their choice/right.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Bobcatkitten said:

Could be. I think it will be. But that's not a fact yet. 

I'm not advocating for either, i personally don't see why they would quit after getting their filming schedule cut down to 3 days and getting an extra month off by cutting down to 20 episodes per year.  However, IF Supernatural ends with S15 it's because The Js have decided they're done and not, because the ratings suck or anything like that.  SPN is the 4th highest rated show on the network and makes the WB a ton of money in post sales.  They would drag that show out to 20 years if they could

• Love 3

FYI, from TVLine:

* In honor of Supernatural‘s 300th installment (airing Feb. 7 on The CW), TNT will broadcast a marathon of 25 fan-favorite episodes over Feb. 4 (from 10 am-3 pm), Feb. 5 (2 am-3 pm), Feb. 6 (10 am-5 pm) and Feb. 7 (10 am-2 pm).

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm not advocating for either, i personally don't see why they would quit after getting their filming schedule cut down to 3 days and getting an extra month off by cutting down to 20 episodes per year.  However, IF Supernatural ends with S15 it's because The Js have decided they're done and not, because the ratings suck or anything like that.  SPN is the 4th highest rated show on the network and makes the WB a ton of money in post sales.  They would drag that show out to 20 years if they could

If SPN was being shown at the 9 pm timeslot the ratings would be higher considering it's viewer numbers are second only to The Flash.

Final-Bcast-2019-Jan-31.THU_.png

2 hours ago, FlickChick said:

FYI, from TVLine:

* In honor of Supernatural‘s 300th installment (airing Feb. 7 on The CW), TNT will broadcast a marathon of 25 fan-favorite episodes over Feb. 4 (from 10 am-3 pm), Feb. 5 (2 am-3 pm), Feb. 6 (10 am-5 pm) and Feb. 7 (10 am-2 pm).

TNT loves SPN. I can only assume it makes them money because it's always on. 

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

TNT loves SPN. I can only assume it makes them money because it's always on. 

OTOH, they seem to have a strange view of "fan favorite" episodes, since (according to my online listings) the showing includes such wonderful eps as Family Matters, Defending Your Life, Remember the Titans and Things We Left Behind.  Not to mention the ones I love, like Monster at the End of This Book and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, being shown at 1 am and 3 am (MT) respectively, so 3 and 5 am ET.  *sigh*  

It does seem heavily weighted towards seasons 6-8 for some reason.  Maybe they figure fans are tired of the "usual" favorites by now. :)

ETA: That's not to say I won't watch!  I'll take SPN reruns over any other daytime TV. :)

Edited by ahrtee
2 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

OTOH, they seem to have a strange view of "fan favorite" episodes, since (according to my online listings) the showing includes such wonderful eps as Family Matters, Defending Your Life, Remember the Titans and Things We Left Behind.  Not to mention the ones I love, like Monster at the End of This Book and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, being shown at 1 am and 3 am (MT) respectively, so 3 and 5 am ET.  *sigh*  

It does seem heavily weighted towards seasons 6-8 for some reason.  Maybe they figure fans are tired of the "usual" favorites by now. :)

The Monday lineup looks good. Surprised Fan Fiction wasn't in the marathon. You'd think they'd include the 200th episode in a marathon supporting the 300th 😁

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The Monday lineup looks good. Surprised Fan Fiction wasn't in the marathon. You'd think they'd include the 200th episode in a marathon supporting the 300th 😁

Well, they do have Slash Fiction.  Maybe they got them confused. :)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ahrtee said:

Well, they do have Slash Fiction.  Maybe they got them confused. :)

But oooh good choice. Leviathan Sam and Dean are great. And "All Out of Love" Dean... complete with "Eeeeeeing" My Little Pony violence is awesome. And one of the lines that made me laugh enough to miss something that came after: "Dead plants with creamy goo. It's like eating self-righteousness." Brilliant on multiple levels.

And Chet. I loved Chet. And Frank, too...

Man, I miss season 7.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 2

Seemingly no press release for February 21st either (Legacies has one) so SPN might go on hiatus after the 300th. Would be weird not airing through February but in March. Usually, it's the other way around.