Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

We're preempted in New York again

Ugh!

55 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

For the first time in 3 years I won't be watching live. I have to work. I'm kind of freaking out about it LOL. Real life sucks sometimes. LOL

And more ugh!! Hopefully you have a DVR?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

We're preempted in New York again

This is why I was thrilled when the CW in the Chicago area switched away from WGN Chicago to a channel out of Gary Indiana. Every spring we would be preempted for either Cubs or Sox games; in the fall, Bulls games. NO MORE!!!  Fortunately, Gary, IN doesn't carry those. LOL

ETA: So sorry though for you. :(

Edited by FlickChick
  • Love 1

Supernatural (The CW)    0.5/2   1.38........ TV By the Numbers

Total viewership is really down. 

Checked out upcoming pre-emptions -- Twins next week, Red Sox on the 10th of May.  So two more times for sure.

Edited by SueB

I wish I knew just how the ratings work nowadays.  If the show is pre-empted in the largest markets, there's not much they can do about that.  So when calculating the popularity of a show, they almost can't put that much stock into who watches live anymore.  So many people simply don't do that.  They either DVR the episode, or stream it the next day from the app, or buy it from iTunes or Amazon (to avoid commercials!).  They have to take all of that into consideration, I'm sure, when making their decisions.

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

Wasn't it also preempted in some markets. Also, basketball playoffs.

Maybe a Gabriel centric episode at this point of the season was not the way to go.

It was also opening NFL Draft day on Fox.  I didn't know that was such a huge thing but I guess it is.

Spoiler TV is saying 0.4 and 1.39.  

I'm pretty sure Season 14 will be it.  Maybe they'll decide on a shortened season and maybe amp it up instead of this drivel we're getting now.

• Love 1

I love this show but the writing just isn't there. They are doing all kinds of things that make no sense or go against canon just to do something for a quick scare or moment. There are so many ways they could have handled the last episode that made more sense but that wouldn't bring the drama. The problem is it makes the characters we love look stupid. 

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, Bobcatkitten said:

I love this show but the writing just isn't there. They are doing all kinds of things that make no sense or go against canon just to do something for a quick scare or moment. There are so many ways they could have handled the last episode that made more sense but that wouldn't bring the drama. The problem is it makes the characters we love look stupid. 

Totally agree with all of it. It's all about shock value. Fan service and a few moments here and there. It's not a coherent story anymore. I'm not even sure what this season is about.

8 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

I'm pretty sure Season 14 will be it.  Maybe they'll decide on a shortened season and maybe amp it up instead of this drivel we're getting now.

ouch

Edited by belbar
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm pretty chill about it.  I think we have through S15 because I still contend the boys make 2 year deals. If I'm wrong, I bet they announce on May 18th.  But there's no indication that the boys are gearing up to go to the Upfronts.  We had a ton of lead time for Smallville. 

Edited by SueB
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

No way--even the .4 makes it up there with the rest of the CW.  We have season 15 at least.

Edited by Jakes
  • Love 2

This "drivel" is better than seasons 6, 7, and probably a few other forgettable seasons I'm blanking on (Whatever the Darkness season was for instance).

As for the show possibly ending, doesn't Netflix pay a certain amount per episode? The Netflix deal does through 2020 if I remember correctly, so I wouldn't be shocked if SPN survives until then. Its a money-maker for WB.

• Love 2

Unless I missed it, I don't think they really publicized that this was basically going to be a 3-part finale.  Last year they made a huge deal out of the 2 hour finale.  My guess is people assumed not much was going to happen this episode, so the ratings don't surprise me.  It's spring.  The weather's been nice and people have been trapped in their homes for months, in some areas.  I'm not going to read too much into it.   I do wish they'd move the show back to 9:00, but I don't see it happening.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lord Kira said:

This "drivel" is better than seasons 6, 7, and probably a few other forgettable seasons I'm blanking on (Whatever the Darkness season was for instance).

Heh. Whereas for me two of those 3 seasons (7 and 11) are in my top 5 of all seasons of the show, and season 6 is in the top half.

For me there is still some brilliant writing when they want to do it - "Baby" (which recently got into TV Guide's top 50 or 100 - I can't remember which - episodes of this century so far, and that included all television shows during that time), "Safe House" and "Don't Call Me Shurley" from season 11 come to mind. It just seems that recently they aren't making the effort to do that.

While I don't find this season offensive - yet, that remains to be seen what happens in the next couple of episodes - none of the episodes seem to stand out for me. However, I do find this season - so far - better than season 8 and 9 - which despite a more cohesive story (at least in the case of season 9) managed to piss me off royally, and season 12 which was, for me, a bit of a hodgepodge.

So I think a lot is going to depend on what this season sets up... and what it can pull off from that set up.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/4/2018 at 8:01 PM, AwesomO4000 said:

Heh. Whereas for me two of those 3 seasons (7 and 11) are in my top 5 of all seasons of the show, and season 6 is in the top half.

For me there is still some brilliant writing when they want to do it - "Baby" (which recently got into TV Guide's top 50 or 100 - I can't remember which - episodes of this century so far, and that included all television shows during that time), "Safe House" and "Don't Call Me Shurley" from season 11 come to mind. It just seems that recently they aren't making the effort to do that.

While I don't find this season offensive - yet, that remains to be seen what happens in the next couple of episodes - none of the episodes seem to stand out for me. However, I do find this season - so far - better than season 8 and 9 - which despite a more cohesive story (at least in the case of season 9) managed to piss me off royally, and season 12 which was, for me, a bit of a hodgepodge.

So I think a lot is going to depend on what this season sets up... and what it can pull off from that set up.

Yeah. The one thing I really loved about season 7 was Dick Roman. The character was just so much fun. 

I agree that there aren't as many must-see episodes as the earlier seasons. I came to terms with that years ago. I know that's part of the reason why a sizable portion of the fandom wishes the show had ended at 5 seasons. But  I can't agree with them. If the show had ended at season 5 we never would have gotten episodes  'The French Mistake,' or 'Scoobynatural.'

I agree that this season is pretty inoffensive. My gripe is that I don't like Mary, and that they sent Jack into the alternate world when I was getting invested in his relationships with the boys.

My prediction for the finale and the plot of next season: Mary dies in the finale. Sam, Dean, Cas, Jack, and Lucifer make it back through the portal, but so do the angels although Michael's vessel is destroyed. Rowena decides to stay in the alternate world, stating that it would be hard for her to die there in a world without a Sam Winchester to kill her. Michael decides to get better vessel and decides to pull Adam from the cage and take over his body. The season will be about Michael trying to re-start the apocalypse while the boys are forced to reluctantly work with Lucifer who is only doing "good" to get on Jack's good side. Meanwhile, Gabriel decides to take charge of heaven and protect it from Michael and his angels.

Back to the the whole ratings thing though: We always talk of ratings not particularly mattering for renewals because of the streaming deal, but another major factor is that it is relatively cheaper because unlike other shows SPN doesn't have 10+ main characters. Also, I think they still make a lot of money off of the syndication deal with TNT. Supernatural is one of the few shows that is picked up for syndication and actually succeeds there these days.

Wayward Sisters will have none of these advantages. Unless they get a deal with Netflix like the one Dynasty and Riverdale have, ratings will be much more important for them than for SPN.

Edited by Lord Kira
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Bobcatkitten said:

Early results show good ratings last night (though I'm unsure if that will adjust down due to preemption) - 0.6/3 and 1.94 million viewers.

I am AMAZED. All I ever saw trending last night was Grey's Anatomy (a big episode for fans) and BBT  which was the season finale and the Shamy wedding. 

I'll never understand ratings lol.

3 hours ago, Bobcatkitten said:

Early results show good ratings last night (though I'm unsure if that will adjust down due to preemption) - 0.6/3 and 1.94 million viewers.

Looks like with preemption we will adjust down--just hope it doesn't go below .5.

4 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

That was a pretty big hit.  We didn't trend in the top 5 either.

Brooklyn 99 being cancelled dominated Twitter. Along with a big episode of Grey's and the BBT wedding, social media was a challenge.

• Love 2