Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

http://www.nielsensocial.com/socialcontentratings/daily/

We didn't trend last night at least in the top 5

That's the first time in forever. I was annoyed af last night.

41 minutes ago, bozodegama said:

Man, I just love when you look at the rating sheet and your aged out  of every category except Adults 50+ ( they should just call it theGeezer category).  I'm only 55, but i guess i'm irrelevant to tv.  I thought 50 plus year old men (or women)  are able to buy stuff so their attractive to advertisers.  I feel like their telling me to sign up for AARP and join Donatello in Boca. Not happening.   Anyway, 1.9 mil seems like a good showing but its really the first ep back for the boys full time.  

I'm told that we 'old folks' (I'm 53) aren't desirable as advertising targets because we are brand-loyal and set it our ways. Pffff.

I've always felt that ratings represent the week before as much as the current ep - did you make me want to tune in again??? Not to mention that so-called sneak peek they released for this week's promo. It was the most boring possible 60 seconds of the episode. I have no idea who they thought they were going to entice with that crap.

• Love 1

RuPaul's numbers are REALLY below our normal performance.  I wonder if we were "tired" from the previous week.  ETA:  And it was a SCARYAF episode.  That may have kept people distracted -- that happens to me when I'm really tense during an episode.

Edited by SueB
  • Love 2

TBH, I wasn't looking forward to this ep--I thought it was just going to be another lead in to WS, this time showing how Donna wound up there (just like they gave a whole ep to Patience, several to Claire and at least half an ep to Kaia.)  If I wasn't thrilled with WS (and if I wasn't committed to watching SPN at all costs) I might have decided to skip this ep.  The fact that it turned out to be such a good one (and that I liked it!) was a complete surprise to me.  

So maybe there are others like me who were "meh" on the concept and decided not to watch.  Hopefully once we get back to the "real" SPN (sorry to those who didn't mind all the side trips to WS-land), the die-hard watchers will come back and the ratings (and tweets) will go up.  

Edited by ahrtee
  • Love 2

Who even knows how many people stay around for the quick preview. I believe Supernatural is the only show on the CW that has commercials in between the end of the show and the preview, so that may discourage viewers to stick around.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

The rating is actually steady/pretty good though, isn't it? And up in total viewers? It's just the SM that dropped.

Wayward Son seemed concerned about the unrounded numbers as being an indicator of faltering ratings. I'm not sure what the CW looks at more. The unrounded numbers or the rounded. 

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Wayward Son seemed concerned about the unrounded numbers as being an indicator of faltering ratings. I'm not sure what the CW looks at more. The unrounded numbers or the rounded. 

I think CW's criteria is "Just please don't get near Dynasty's numbers.  You do that, you're good."

• Love 7

Fast-Demo-2018-Feb-01.THU_.png

And another 0.6 for us this week! Although the viewer count is down by quite a bit (1.68 million compared to last weeks 1.92 million). It’ll be interesting to see the Unrounded rating later :)

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 2

I'm not sure what is the most important.... the demo or the audience numbers.  But sadly I'm expecting an 0.5 and possibly even an 0.4 as the rest of the season progresses and weather warms up and we encounter lots of stops and starts in weekly episodes to make the finale for May Sweeps.

I'm still forecasting episode 300 will be it.  Dabb has not been good for this show.  His focus is anywhere but Sam and Dean.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I'm not sure what is the most important.... the demo or the audience numbers.  But sadly I'm expecting an 0.5 and possibly even an 0.4 as the rest of the season progresses and weather warms up and we encounter lots of stops and starts in weekly episodes to make the finale for May Sweeps.

I'm still forecasting episode 300 will be it.  Dabb has not been good for this show.  His focus is anywhere but Sam and Dean.

I think Demo is most important because IIRC its what shows use to set advertising prices.

Ratings-

.6 and 1.69 according to spoiler tv

43 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

It’ll be interesting to see the Unrounded rating later :)

What is the significance of the unrounded numbers? I see them posted but I don't undrestand why they amtter.

Just now, ILoveReading said:

1.69 according to spoiler tv

NICE

14 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

What is the significance of the unrounded numbers? I see them posted but I don't undrestand why they amtter.

When waiting on the final numbers I find they can be useful in predicting the final rating. For instance an Unrounded rating of 0.56 usually means an adjustment up is all but impossible, an adjustment down is quite likely or it’ll maintain at best. An Unrounded 0.64 means the opposite then or a 0.6 means chances are it’ll just stay the same.

In terms of things at a network level I’ve no idea if a show with a 0.56 Unrounded 0.6 rating would be considered worse off than 0.6 which was 0.64 unrounded. I personally though find it interesting to know whether a rating was just scraped or comfortably into that rating level :)

1 hour ago, Pondlass1 said:

Well I disagree--the ratings under Dabb have been good, he isn't hurting the popularity of the show(you can debate the quality and we obviously disagree there).  And I expect SPN to hold up well the rest of the year...it has traditionally been stronger than most shows in the second half and don't see that changing.  And the show will only end at 300 if the J's quit then.  Frankly I think they'll go at least thru 15.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Jakes said:

Well I disagree--the ratings under Dabb have been good, he isn't hurting the popularity of the show(you can debate the quality and we obviously disagree there).  And I expect SPN to hold up well the rest of the year...it has traditionally been stronger than most shows in the second half and don't see that changing.  And the show will only end at 300 if the J's quit then.  Frankly I think they'll go at least thru 15.

Last year the show hits its first 0.5 of the season for episode 15 and more or less stayed there the rest of the season. The second half was therefore weaker last year. 

Unrounded Rating

Supernatural ................... 0.553 ... (0.573 ... 0.532)
Arrow .............................. 0.402 ... (0.432 ... 0.372)

Like last week the show is dangerously close to getting its first 0.5 of the season. Let’s hope it can maintain like last week :)

1 minute ago, Wayward Son said:

Last year the show hits its first 0.5 of the season for episode 15 and more or less stayed there the rest of the season. The second half was therefore weaker last year. 

Yes but I remember .6's too and but the show fell less than just about every CW show.  In fact only Flash was ahead of SPN at the end of the season whereas in the first half SPN was about 4th in the CW.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, scribe95 said:

I would be shocked for this to go to season 15 given the way Jared has talked. Shocked.

Friendly bet then!  Jared is talking about stopping acting(at least for a while) AFTER SPN but isn't indicating pro or con about if 14 will be the last season.

Edited by Jakes
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

The show always dips in the spring like almost every other show. But, I think what @Jakes was getting at wasn't that Supernatural didn't dip at all, but that they dipped less than most of the other shows on the network. 

2 minutes ago, scribe95 said:

I would be shocked for this to go to season 15 given the way Jared has talked. Shocked.

Eh, TBH, I don't think Jared is as ready to hang it up as some think. He clearly doesn't want to do much acting after the show ends, but I think he likes the security the show provides. Of the two, I think Jensen is more ready to move on than Jared. However, they've gotten so much media coverage this year and with Jensen's comments about suddenly being a hit after 13 years I really feel like they might try to ride this out a bit longer. I can easily see them going two more full seasons right now.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, scribe95 said:

I don't see that happening either unless it's a truncated s15 like 10 or 13 episodes but I can't see him agree to 46 more episodes unless all that he's saying is just to get a bigger payday or more time off and then it's back to less of a J than fans like IMO

3 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

I think Jensen is more ready to move on than Jared. However, they've gotten so much media coverage this year and with Jensen's comments about suddenly being a hit after 13 years I really feel like they might try to ride this out a bit longer. I can easily see them going two more full seasons right now.

Where are getting that Jensen is more ready to move on than Jared? I'm rather shocked at this reading of Jensen.  When did he talk about that show finally being a hit after 13 years? That's new to me as well. 

Sure they could contract to appear in 46 more episodes but that doesn't mean those will be Dean/Sam heavy. I'd rather they go whole hog with heavy TFW for reduced episodes than drag out two more seasons of nothing burger SL for the boys and Castiel.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Where are getting that Jensen is more ready to move on than Jared? I'm rather shocked at this reading of Jensen.  When did he talk about that show finally being a hit after 13 years? That's new to me as well. 

Sure they could contract to appear in 46 more episodes but that doesn't mean those will be Dean/Sam heavy. I'd rather they go whole hog with heavy TFW for reduced episodes than drag out two more seasons of nothing burger SL for the boys and Castiel.

It's just my impression of the two guys. I think Jensen has been ready for new challenges for years now, but his responsibility to the show, loyalty to the cast and crew and his love for his character keeps him on the show until everyone decides it's time to call it quits. I'm in no way saying he's phoning it in or anything like that, just that I think he's been more ready to move on than Jared, who IMO isn't ready to give up the stability the show provides for him and his family. 

As to the "hit after 13 years comment": it was a couple months ago. I can't remember if it was at a con or an interview, though. And sorry to be one of those people who don't provide links, but I don't have the energy to run it down right now. There's been some discussion of it around here though. So, I'm sure if you dug back through the social media or media thread you could find it. I want to say it was late October or early November, but time is not my friend lately so I might be way off on that. 

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

As to the "hit after 13 years comment": it was a couple months ago. I can't remember if it was at a con or an interview, though. And sorry to be one of those people who don't provide links, but I don't have the energy to run it down right now. There's been some discussion of it around here though. So, I'm sure if you dug back through the social media or media thread you could find it. I want to say it was late October or early November, but time is not my friend lately so I might be way off on that. 

That's really weird because I don't remember that discussion at all. I'm thinking he was joking in some way.  Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

7 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

That's really weird because I don't remember that discussion at all. I'm thinking he was joking in some way.  Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

The only thing I remember was in reference to finally getting the EW cover/issue. 

9 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Oh, I'm quite certain he wasn't joking. It was in reference to all the media coverage they'd been getting this year.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

I think he's said something similar more than once.

The words I heard were "Suddenly were a 'hit' after 13 years?!", in response to a question about how much press they were getting and all the love at Comic Con.  He expressed surprised at the WB's efforts to support them.  It was said in a positive way.  It sounds like he has said this more than once.  I heard it in a small 10 person crowd setting. 

Edited by SueB
  • Love 3

I just realized NBC is starting to show the Olympics on Thursday night because some events start before the opening ceremony. Noooo! I don’t want to choose between Supernatural and figure skating!

59 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I just realized NBC is starting to show the Olympics on Thursday night because some events start before the opening ceremony. Noooo! I don’t want to choose between Supernatural and figure skating!

I thought it was just exhibition skate? Is it actual competition?

3 hours ago, Jeddah said:

I know it’s not a big deal everywhere, but I just realized the UNC/Duke game is Thursday at 8 too.

Supernatural has lot to compete with this week. It’ll be interesting to see how the ratings hold up.

23 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I know it’s not a big deal everywhere, but I just realized the UNC/Duke game is Thursday at 8 too.

Supernatural has lot to compete with this week. It’ll be interesting to see how the ratings hold up.

Oh boy. Tough skating...so to speak

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Sucks that it's Danneel's episode that's up against it though. She's already on the hit list for so many.

It might be okay, since it's also Cas back and with the boys. 

Sorry, I should have  said....

Cas is back....

Back again...

Cas is back...

Tell a Friend.

Cas is back

Cas is back..Cas is back...Cas is back...

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

It might be okay, since it's also Cas back and with the boys. 

Sorry, I should have  said....

Cas is back....

Back again...

Cas is back...

Tell a Friend.

Cas is back

Cas is back..Cas is back...Cas is back...

Ummmm, wasn't Cas back last episode?

4 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Not with the boys which is what I specifically mentioned :) I'm saying might draw viewers who want more TFW. Like me

Oh, ok. Sorry. Misunderstood. 

• Love 1

SPN got a .6 and 1.82 million.  The show is a beast and Dabb is keeping the boat afloat no problem ratings-wise.  Against first day of Olympics and it doesn't miss a beat.

Edited by Jakes
  • Love 2