Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

So, I was thinking about the scheduling for next season now that they've announced renewals, and it got me thinking: is there a possibility of Supernatural being moved to Sundays, to headline the week (and the new scheduling) and the possibility of Wayward Sisters being picked up and being put after Supernatural? I think they'll want an older show for their new Sunday programming, to get the hype up, and I think Supernatural's the most likely to be successful on that night. I wasn't sure if they'd want to move Supernatural, but the show's moved a couple of different nights and has been steady. So I wonder if moving Supernatural to Sundays is their best bet. 

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, I was thinking about the scheduling for next season now that they've announced renewals, and it got me thinking: is there a possibility of Supernatural being moved to Sundays, to headline the week (and the new scheduling) and the possibility of Wayward Sisters being picked up and being put after Supernatural? I think they'll want an older show for their new Sunday programming, to get the hype up, and I think Supernatural's the most likely to be successful on that night. I wasn't sure if they'd want to move Supernatural, but the show's moved a couple of different nights and has been steady. So I wonder if moving Supernatural to Sundays is their best bet. 

I don't know, I actually think Sunday might be the one night Supernatural would not fare well--Sunday Night Football is not something I'd like to see it go up against as I think there's a huge crossover audience and sports, for most people, usually get the live viewing over scripted shows. My guess for a Sunday night older show would be Supergirl

Personally, I wouldn't pair Wayward and Supernatural together. Of course, there will be some Supernatural fans who watch Wayward, but I think largely fandom isn't going to support it long-term (that is, if it gets picked up at all) and it would be a waste of a lead in. I haven't watched iZombie in ages, but that would be my pick to pair Wayward with.

Otherwise, I think Supernatural will probably do just fine on any night they decide to put it on other than Sunday. 

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Is there a big difference between Sunday night football and Thursday night football?

Sunday Night football has decades more of a built-in viewership I think. Thursday football is relatively new in the grand scheme of things. I always watch Sunday night football but only Thursday if I care about one of the teams. It's weird, I admit.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, scribe95 said:

Sunday Night football has decades more of a built-in viewership I think. Thursday football is relatively new in the grand scheme of things. I always watch Sunday night football but only Thursday if I care about one of the teams. It's weird, I admit.

I was honestly curious. I really don't follow ratings at all except as they pertain to SPN, and I don't think I've ever watched a whole football game in my life, lol!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Is there a big difference between Sunday night football and Thursday night football?

I don't have the numbers, but my understanding is that Sunday Night Football draws a much larger audience than Thursday Night Football.

• Love 1

I was curious so the 2017 average for Sunday Night Football was 18.2 million viewers and 6.1 in 18-49 demo. That is still the highest of the night but was a double digit percentage decrease from 2016.

Couldn't find exact same numbers on Thursday Night Football but the last game in December hit a season low - 13 million viewers. 

• Love 1
(edited)

An example of a sweeps week from TVByTheNumbers.  And Yes, Sunday Night Football is pretty much a juggernaut.  Of course Thursday Night Football it right behind it..... 

image.thumb.png.def7606c6ec133e1c6be8a911dcda5e7.png

Edited by SueB
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, ukgirl71 said:

Just had to share that we in the uk are finally getting season 13, on 17 April.  I am now ridiculously excited!!

That’s good to hear! 

I was honestly beginning to wonder if E4 had quietly dropped the show. 

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, bozodegama said:

Does anyone know if episode 17 airs tomorrow night?  It seems to be blocked by the Yankees game here in New York.  Enquiring minds need to know.

It's listed on my west coast feeds and on the specialty network it airs on in Ontario. 

(edited)
On 4/3/2018 at 8:52 AM, DittyDotDot said:

I don't have the numbers, but my understanding is that Sunday Night Football draws a much larger audience than Thursday Night Football.

And the Sunday Night game is usually the big game of the week.  The only times Thursday might get the big game are for the opener, and Thanksgiving.  Sunday Night will get games like Patriots vs Steelers, while Thursday will get Browns vs Colts.

I think Supernatural will stay on a weeknight, I could see Arrow being the show that moves to Sunday.  I don't see them dumping their number 2 show on Sunday.  I'd say it stays on Thursday.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 1
On 4/1/2018 at 10:37 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

I wonder if they are planning a 2 hour finale again? Because there are 7 episodes remaining and 7 Thursdays from now til May 17th (the announced finale date). SPN airs on Space Channel here so there is never a conflict with sports and it is not showing a new episode listed for this week, either. Hmmm.

Okay, never mind. That's weird. It is listed on the Superstation (West Coast feed) for Thursday.

No, according to my tv its being shown on Saturday. 

9 hours ago, bozodegama said:

Does anyone know if episode 17 airs tomorrow night?  It seems to be blocked by the Yankees game here in New York.  Enquiring minds need to know.

Yes, it’s on tonight.  The CW website will have it up by the next morning so you can watch there.  It sucks for both you and show rating that we’re losing NYC.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jediknight said:

And the Sunday Night game is usually the big game of the week.  The only times Thursday might get the big game are for the opener, and Thanksgiving.  Sunday Night will get games like Patriots vs Steelers, while Thursday will get Browns vs Colts.

I think Supernatural will stay on a weeknight, I could see Arrow being the show that moves to Sunday.  I don't see them dumping their number 2 show on Sunday.  I'd say it stays on Thursday.

Man that was harsh lumping my Colts in with the Browns ;)

1 hour ago, SueB said:

Yes, it’s on tonight.  The CW website will have it up by the next morning so you can watch there.  It sucks for both you and show rating that we’re losing NYC.  

Do they factor pre-emptions into the numbers like it gets asterisked as maybe not truly reflective of the ratings since fans can't watch it nor DVR it that night?

1 hour ago, ILoveReading said:

Fortunately, its showing on Space for me too.

Is Space part of your cable package? Is that a Canadian company?

14 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Do they factor pre-emptions into the numbers like it gets asterisked as maybe not truly reflective of the ratings since fans can't watch it nor DVR it that night?

Is Space part of your cable package? Is that a Canadian company?

They remove the area from consideration and average out the remaining area to find the rating. That is one of the key difference between the priliminary ratings and the final ratings. The prim ratings include the preempted markets and the finals don’t. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SueB said:

Thanks, but by morning i'll have it on my ipad.  Is there any way to watch it live in nyc if anyone knows?   If not, i'll just throw my sneakers at the tv while watching the stupid Yankees hit a lot of home runs.  They'd never do this if it were the Mets.  

15 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

They remove the area from consideration and average out the remaining area to find the rating. That is one of the key difference between the priliminary ratings and the final ratings. The prim ratings include the preempted markets and the finals don’t. 

So they can get an approximate rating but the total viewership will be down right?  

• Love 1
(edited)
On 05/04/2018 at 4:01 PM, bozodegama said:

So they can get an approximate rating but the total viewership will be down right?  

As I understood it they get a rating and viewer count for each market. They then work out the average rating of all the market and that’s the official rating. However, if a market is preempted then that market is removed from the equation when working out the average. So it would be the average of 49 markets rather than 50 worked out. Whether that results in an upward, downward, or no adjustment between primilinaries and finals depends on how the program did compared to the main show in other markets.

For example if Supernaturals average was around 0.5 and 1.5 million and the football that aired got 1.0 and 3 million in the New York market then the chances are once that 1.0 is removed then there’ll be an adjustment down as it was falsely inflating the rating average likewise if football got 0.2 and 1 million compared to Supernaturals 0.5 and 1.5 million once that 0.2 is removed it could lead to an adjustment up. And of course if the football was equally popular to Supernatural and got 0.5 and 1.49 million then the removal wouldn’t affect the average rating at all lol. 

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

The shows been preempted before and never fallen to a 0.4 so I think it’s valid to point out that it’s a series low :)

It's also valid to point out that being preempted for the Yankees baseball during Opening week vs a division rival is a bigger hit than typical. I don't see it being the norm or a cause for concern given it's been renewed already.

• Love 1

I can't say I'm all that surprised. Last week had so much promo and hype, and then... crickets again. And honestly, as pumped as I am to learn what Jensen's 'new' character will be, in equally as uninterested in Lucifer, Assmo, and the rest of the way-too-many characters and story threads this season. It's so muddled and disjointed, it's easy to lose the plot. The pre-emption didn't help, but tightening up the story sure would. 

• Love 6

Does anyone know if the show trended last night.  I can't find any information and I didn't see it trending myself at all.  Wow .2 adjustment is pretty huge.   Has that ever happened before even with a preemption?

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

It's also valid to point out that being preempted for the Yankees baseball during Opening week vs a division rival is a bigger hit than typical. I don't see it being the norm or a cause for concern given it's been renewed already.

The only thing worse would have been Yankees vs Red Sox.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

Exactly. I can't believe Arrow shed 500K viewers.

SPN dropped about the same (450k). It's a darn shame. They both might get hit again in 2 weeks when Infinity Wars opens.

I should have known better, Arrow S2 or S3 had a May episode preempted in NYC and it took a big hit. I remember LL/KC stans giving MG shit and his reply was we lost the #1 Market and CW knows it.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

If the show is pre-empted in the largest market out there, then I have to believe that whoever uses these ratings has to take that into consideration.  They may not asterisk the number, but I can't see them ignoring the facts, either.  It sucks that the ratings dipped, but there's also a perfectly valid reason, not having anything to do with viewer apathy.

• Love 1

#1 is SM ranking though. Jensen IG'd twice during the EDT hour, I'm sure that helped that part of the number. I never saw it in the Twitter top 10 US in the three hour span. So weird.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 3