Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

32 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

Ratings are usually good for the first episode of the season.  

There has been so little buzz about this premiere I'm afraid some fans might think the show was cancelled.  I'm going to predict .6 but hope for a .7  Riverdale got a .5 and Flash premiered at .8

Not looking too good at the moment.

34 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

There has been so little buzz about this premiere I'm afraid some fans might think the show was cancelled.  I'm going to predict .6 but hope for a .7  Riverdale got a .5 and Flash premiered at .8

If it can get .5 or above (and shows yet to premiere don’t hit .6 or higher) it will be fine. The show doesn’t have to be faster than the bear just faster than the other shows. 

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Yes CW not producing good results--so i'll say .6 which in CW 2018 terms would actually be strong at this point and make SPN #2 for the CW this week.  A .7 would actually be semi-amazing.

Has BBT been doing well? I know there is major buzz around every episode since it was announced it would be the final season. Thursdays are so competitive. I wish it was on Wednesdays - the only night there is nothing I watch on TV, Where Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays are insane.

1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I wish it was on Wednesdays - the only night there is nothing I watch on TV, Where Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays are insane.

Agreed. Unless you watch the Chicago line up - as I do casually ***- Wednesday is a pretty lackluster evening for TV, in my opinion.

Whereas not only is there a bunch of stuff on Thursday, including football at some point - and if Project Runway returns, there will be even more stuff - I generally have class to teach Thursday night, so with the earlier time slot, I miss it live. Fortunately I'm a night owl, so I get to watch it at 2 AM when my OnDemand puts it up. But if it was on Wednesday - and especially at 9 PM where I think it belongs - I wouldn't have that problem.

But of course nobody asked me ; ) .

*** Chicago Fire is my favorite of the bunch, but I still couldn't tell you any of the characters' names. It's more "oh yeah, I like this guy (or gal)." And I still can't watch the shows without remembering how Seth Myers did a bunch of funny bits where he pretended to try to talk President Trump (before he was president) into not running for president and they would give him his own television show on NBC instead where he could say and do anything he wanted as the fictional president, but because it was NBC, it would have to be called Chicago President and be based in Chicago.

So all that just goes to show that even though I watch those shows, the commitment level is not there, and I'd watch Supernatural instead in a heartbeat. So how do we get Supernatural moved to Wednesday? Preferably at 9 PM?

• Love 1

I used to watch Chicago Fire, but I found the female paramedic, no wait! firefighter, no wait! paramedic so freaking obnoxious I had to stop. And I wouldn't even give Chicago PD a shot when they made the dirty cop from CF the central hero/figure. Nope!

I do so wish they'd move SPN - but with their luck the other networks move This Is Us (or enter any hugely popular show) too. LOL!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I used to watch Chicago Fire, but I found the female paramedic, no wait! firefighter, no wait! paramedic so freaking obnoxious I had to stop.

I still find her EXTREMELY freaking obnoxious but really, really like one of the firefighters even though they have him dating someone so ugh! But I ff through a lot much like SPN.

12 minutes ago, Res said:

I still find her EXTREMELY freaking obnoxious but really, really like one of the firefighters even though they have him dating someone so ugh! But I ff through a lot much like SPN.

I agree, but she's gone. One little scene to wrap things up and it's bye-bye.

Ratings might be affected by the Hurricane.  There are a lot of people without power.

I don't think I've ever seen a scene with so little season premier promotion.  One 30 second promo, a handful of photos, one video that came from BTS, and an couple of interviews.  Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

I don't think I've ever seen a scene with so little season premier promotion.  One 30 second promo, a handful of photos, one video that came from BTS, and an couple of interviews.  Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I would say why I think that is but it would venture into BvJ territory so . . . 

1 hour ago, FlickChick said:

I agree, but she's gone. One little scene to wrap things up and it's bye-bye.

Is she really?? Permanently? *fingers crossed*

6 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

Yes, she didn't renew her contract and I believe I read that she's involved with another project.

YES!!!! Hopefully, Kidd will disappear soon too as well. ;-)

24 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Supernatural trended in the top 5 throughout the east coast feed.  Hopefully we in the west can keep it up.  

Oh. Guess Hurricane Michael didn't make that much of an impact which is what I was hoping for people's safety, not the premiere. Although the wreckage looked awful.

So SPN got .5 and 1.42 million...basically tied with Riverdale for second place for the CW this week.  The CW and all networks are all losing numbers, so in a relative sense so far SPN is about where it was last year--around tied for second place in the CW.

I’m a little surprised that it only hit .5 and tied with Riverdale of all shows. That number should be safe for now but the numbers always dip from the premier and last nights episode didn’t help. We could be nearing regular .3’s.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

I’m a little surprised that it only hit .5 and tied with Riverdale of all shows. That number should be safe for now but the numbers always dip from the premier and last nights episode didn’t help. We could be nearing regular .3’s.

I think SPN is relatively safe--it almost always hold its rating better every year than almost every CW show over a whole year.  So almost certainly it will stay near the top of the CW grouping.

15 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

I think a lot of folks didn't watch because of the Hurricane and football.  The DVR numbers may also give a boost.  I legit thought it would be at least a .6.  This feels anomalous. 

3 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I think a lot of folks didn't watch because of the Hurricane and football.  The DVR numbers may also give a boost.  I legit thought it would be at least a .6.  This feels anomalous. 

I think they'd better brace themselves for next week if the premiere could only garner a .5 because that episode was, lets call it less than inspiring to tune in next week.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I think they'd better brace themselves for next week if the premiere could only garner a .5 because that episode was, lets call it less than inspiring to tune in next week.

Who knows at this point!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Jakes said:

I think SPN is relatively safe--it almost always hold its rating better every year than almost every CW show over a whole year.  So almost certainly it will stay near the top of the CW grouping.

Yeah, if you're watching Season 14 of Supernatural, you've already accepted that TPTB suck ass and are actively trying to ruin the show, and you watch anyway. There's no reason to expect much dropoff at this point. We are who we are.

• Love 7

So it looks like we are in a 4 way tie for 3rd last week.  We only beat Riverdale slightly in viewers.  Both Supergirl and Charmed scored a .5 in demo but had slightly more viewers than SPN.  I expect Charmed to lose viewers next Sunday but SG should stay steady.  So we may hover around 3rd or 4th on the CW for the season. Not horrible.

1 hour ago, Casseiopeia said:

So it looks like we are in a 4 way tie for 3rd last week.  We only beat Riverdale slightly in viewers.  Both Supergirl and Charmed scored a .5 in demo but had slightly more viewers than SPN.  I expect Charmed to lose viewers next Sunday but SG should stay steady.  So we may hover around 3rd or 4th on the CW for the season. Not horrible.

It’s going to come down to how well SPN holds from the premier. .5 keeps it safe. .4 will probably be even with the other drops. .3 will put it closer to bottom and that is when you really need to start worrying. 

6 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

It’s going to come down to how well SPN holds from the premier. .5 keeps it safe. .4 will probably be even with the other drops. .3 will put it closer to bottom and that is when you really need to start worrying. 

It's going to drop but hopefully not below a .4....I think it was a big mistake putting so much focus on a run of the mill monster hunt instead of highlighting the main storyline of the season.  Now we will be playing catch up all season.  Hopefully the Live+7 numbers come in strong.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

Thursday at 8 pm is like the premium spot isn’t it?  So there’s that. Lots of competition.

Well it's the 2-4 Broncos vs the 1-5 Cardinals on NFL Football (on Fox).  There's a group who will always turn on football but it's not exactly a barnburner game and it doesn't target the New York or Chicago markets. 

1 hour ago, SueB said:

Well it's the 2-4 Broncos vs the 1-5 Cardinals on NFL Football (on Fox).  There's a group who will always turn on football but it's not exactly a barnburner game and it doesn't target the New York or Chicago markets. 

Denver tends to get some of the highest ratings on national broadcasts, even with a losing record. Von Miller is a big draw. they were one IMO bad call away from beating the Rams who are really good. And this a pivotal game for the Broncos. They win and they go to 3-4. It's an important game. So I think it will get better ratings than you think.

• Love 1

I grew up in London, England.  I have no clue about American football.  But there are other shows on 8pm spot on Thursdays - stiff competition.  I'd like it if the show moved to 9pm on Wednesdays. That would work with my world.

4 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

I grew up in London, England.  I have no clue about American football.  But there are other shows on 8pm spot on Thursdays - stiff competition.  I'd like it if the show moved to 9pm on Wednesdays. That would work with my world.

Thursday would KILL any other show.  I think that the endurance of SPN is precisely why it's in the most difficult slot during the week.  I think that also allows the network to cut them some slack.  They are relevant, they get their own press and they hold their own better than any other CW show they've put in that position. 

So SPN ended up last week basically tied at .5 with Riverdale, Charmed and Super Girl--the numbers were almost identical.   So far Riverdale dropped to .4 and 1.27 million.  So that's good for SPN--could be all 4 shows fall to .4 this week.  Hopefully SPN MAY squeeze another .5.  

8 minutes ago, Jakes said:

So SPN ended up last week basically tied at .5 with Riverdale, Charmed and Super Girl--the numbers were almost identical.   So far Riverdale dropped to .4 and 1.27 million.  So that's good for SPN--could be all 4 shows fall to .4 this week.  Hopefully SPN MAY squeeze another .5.  

The only thing is they dropped from .5 to .4 in the second half last week. I don’t think they really gave a reason for that group to return this week. Now football and the hurricane loss of viewers may make up for it but I think best case we are looking at .4 with a chance of .3.

Edited by Lastcall
  • Love 1

I remember when I first started watching live in 2012... I used to post at IMDb and we'd have a conniption if ratings dropped below 1.0.  Now we're happy for .5 although I'm bracing myself for .3 after the Christmas hiatus.

Edited by Pondlass1
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

The only thing is they dropped from .5 to .4 in the second half last week. I don’t think they really gave a reason for that group to return this week. Now football and the hurricane loss of viewers may make up for it but I think best case we are looking at .4 with a chance of .3.

I'll call it now--no way on a .3, probably will get .4 and outside shot at .5--depends on who you talk to if the premiere pleased them...imdb ratings are good.  I personally liked it.  With Pondlass--yep ratings are down everywhere and with all networks...so acceptable ratings are down everywhere.  As long as SPN stays in the top half of the 12 CW shows there is absolutely no danger--and I don't expect SPN to be any lower than #5--and probably higher.

As if ratings mean anything to this show. They could go down to less than a million viewers and .02 in the demo and it wouldn't matter to anyone at the network-not with Pedowitz having dumped everything into the laps of the Js.

Hopefully, they'd still have enough pride in the show, at that point, to admit that it's expiration date had finally arrived.

In fact, and after this year's season premiere numbers, they should both be seriously considering it as a real possibility now, IMO.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Myrelle said:

As if ratings mean anything to this show. They could go down to less than a million viewers and .02 in the demo and it wouldn't matter to anyone at the network-not with Pedowitz having dumped everything into the laps of the Js.

Hopefully, they'd still have enough pride in the show, at that point, to admit that it's expiration date had finally arrived.

In fact, and after this year's season premiere numbers, they should both be seriously considering it as a real possibility now, IMO.

Well we disagree big time on the show being past it's expiration point--it's fine right now imo.  If ratings did really tank, they would end the show BUT the ratings are actually good in the CW context--so that's why the show is safe and why the J's still have the option to say go on or not.  Personally I wouldn't mind a couple more years.  And prediction-wise they will certainly go to season 15 which might end up as the announced last season...maybe.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

Absolutely true. My hope is that Pedowitz sees the drop as a Showrunner problem and fixes it like he has in the past. I think we will be seeing a lot of .3’s this season.

4 minutes ago, Jakes said:

Well we disagree big time on the show being past it's expiration point--it's fine right now imo.  If ratings did really tank, they would end the show BUT the ratings are actually good in the CW context--so that's why the show is safe and why the J's still have the option to say go on or not.  Personally I wouldn't mind a couple more years.  And prediction-wise they will certainly go to season 15 which might end up as the announced last season...maybe.

Completely agree, even if the show went to a .1 they would do a 15 just to promote the series finale of the longest running American fantasy show on television.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

Absolutely true. My hope is that Pedowitz sees the drop as a Showrunner problem and fixes it like he has in the past. I think we will be seeing a lot of .3’s this season.

Except I can hear the spin now:

Spoiler

Oh, the fans didn't want Michael!Dean and/or didn't like Jensen's portrayal, but just wait, now that we've dropped that, you'll see, we'll bounce back. Dabb is a wonderful showrunner. The writers' are the best. It can't be on them.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, SueB said:

Held in the demos.  Improved in viewers.  Works for me.  

Not only that but, Flash dropped 2 tenths from it's season premiere 0.8 down to 0.6.  Of course Flash could bounce back but, it's not surprising to see SPN have a strong ratings performance, the show is pretty much a steady workhorse no matter the night or time.  I'd still prefer SPN moved back to 9PM it's holding up quite well in the 8PM slot.  

Last week SPN was in 4th place behind Flash, Charmed and Riverdale, it was ahead of Supergirl and Black Lightning.  Riverdale already dropped to a 0.406, it's possible that SPN could end up in 2nd place behind Flash, unless Charmed holds strong

5bc62baed8c8f_unroundednumberpastweek.PN

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

Wow--I was right to be on the optimistic side with the ratings...basically no drop from the premiere and passes Riverdale in second place on the network so far this week.   Very impressive.

Edited by Jakes
  • Love 2