Type keyword(s) to search

Scheduling & Ratings: You Can See 'Forever'...

Just Here

Forever officially premieres on ABC this Monday, September 21st @ 10:00 p.m. Eastern in a "Special Series Premiere Preview." 

Forever's "Series Time Period Premiere" will be on Tuesday, the 22nd in its normal timeslot of Tuesdays @ 10:00 p.m. Eastern.

Official episode press releases are available on ABC's MediaNet micro-site for Forever.

Note: According to TheFutonCritic.com's listing schedule for Forever, it appears that after the second episode, the next three episodes will be shown out of production order, with 1x05 being the third episode, followed by 1x04, and then 1x03.  I cannot find any independent confirmation of this, but the website is fairly reputable.  (Cf. the schedule listings for Almost Human, which was notoriously shown out of order.)  And, whether the production order is actually the intended airing order remains to be seen, as sometimes episodes are filmed out-of-order due to production issues.  So, if there are continuity issues that pop up, then the out-of-order airing is probably the culprit.

Nielsen ratings for the first two episodes, via TV By The Numbers:

Monday finals:  8.59 million viewers / 1.7 in the 18-49 demo -- Forver retained 77% of Dancing with the Star's demo (2.2) and 67% of its totall viewers (12.76 million).

Tuesday finals: 6.85 million viewers / 1.8 in the 18-49 demo -- Forever beat Person of Interest by 0.1 in the demo and retained 85% of Agents of Shield's demo (2,1), while increasing viewers by ~800,000. (These numbers differ slightly from the "Overnight" numbers used in the ABC press release, below.)

{Overall, not bad, but not necessarily that good, either.}

Official spin from ABC on Tuesday's numbers (viaTheFutoncritic.com):

Forever (10-11pm - 6.5 million and 1.7/5 in AD18-49): Showing strong lead-in retention on its regular time period premiere at 10pm, ABC's Forever was up from the year-ago debut of Lucky 7 in the hour by 47% (6.5 million vs. 4.4 million) and 31% in Adults 18-49 (1.7/5 vs. 1.3/4). It was ABC's top rated Tuesday 10pm fall series debut in 4 years among Adults 18-49 - since 9/21/10. In addition, Forever retained 100% of its Monday preview in Adults 18-49 and was up 8% in Adults 18-34.

· From 10-11pm, Forever essentially tied CBS' Person of Interest in Adults 18-49 (1.7/5 vs. 1.8/5), while beating the CBS drama in Adults 18-34 and key Women (W18-34/W18-49).

For those curious, the series that premiered in 2010 was Detroit 1-8-7 (Wikipedia).

I just binged the first few episodes on Hulu+. I wonder how many folks are like me and just discovering this show, since it was not one of the heavily promoted or reviewed new programs this fall?

Talk it up when you get the chance. "Like Sleepy Hollow? Try this." 

I think it was pretty heavily promoted during the summer, but I wasn't counting the number of spots I saw, so maybe others were promoted more. I try not to pay too much attention to the ratings, but rather just enjoy a show while it is here. It'd be nice if viewership picked up and it lasted a while, though.

• Love 1

Not much time to watch TV the past 2 weeks but this show is one of the first on my PVR that I watch as soon as I do have a bit of time. I like all the main characters, and just find it really enjoyable.

I think Ioan Gruffudd brings a quirky charm to his character. In fact I haven't liked a character this much since I first saw Simon Baker's Patrick Jane. It would be a real shame if it got cancelled.

• Love 2

Someone posted in the most recent episode thread that TV By the Numbers was calling Forever likely to be cancelled after this season. Does anyone have the ratings for the last few episodes? I really like this show and want it to continue! 

Forever officially premieres on ABC this Monday, September 21st @ 10:00 p.m. Eastern in a "Special Series Premiere Preview." 

Note: According to TheFutonCritic.com's listing schedule for Forever, it appears that after the second episode, the next three episodes will be shown out of production order, with 1x05 being the third episode, followed by 1x04, and then 1x03.  I cannot find any independent confirmation of this, but the website is fairly reputable.  

I watched 105,104,106 on the 30th. But then I tried to see others on Hulu only to find it's a dartboard as to which are there; and episodes shown in Zap2It as available (109) are in fact not.

sign me:

PO'ed viewer

Well thing is ratings went up a tick last night.

ABC | Fresh Off the Boat‘s double pump averaged 5.9 mil/1.7, down 23 and 29 percent from its special Wednesday premiere yet (faint praise alert!) topping all Tuesday comedies. Agent Carter (4.2 mil/1.4) ticked up a tenth, while Forever (4.6 mil/1.1) added two tenths. (ABC notes that Forever was up ~50 percent from the time slot’s year-ago performance c/o Killer Women).

Honestly, ABC could do worse than renew this show. It actually would be a good bridge show for Castle if they did a Fall and Spring season or even as a Summer show.

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 2

I wish that ABC would promote this like they do the other shows.  I watch GMA and the other ABC Daytime talk shows and there is always so much about the Thursday shows and the comedies, but aside from the commercials, I rarely see anything about Forever.  It feels like if it's not a Shondra Rimes drama or a Wednesday night comedy, ABC could care less about promoting the show.  Considering that Forever is based in NYC and so many daytime shows tape in NYC, you'd think that there would be more appearances by the stars to promote the show.

I wish that ABC would promote this like they do the other shows.  I watch GMA and the other ABC Daytime talk shows and there is always so much about the Thursday shows and the comedies, but aside from the commercials, I rarely see anything about Forever.  It feels like if it's not a Shondra Rimes drama or a Wednesday night comedy, ABC could care less about promoting the show.  Considering that Forever is based in NYC and so many daytime shows tape in NYC, you'd think that there would be more appearances by the stars to promote the show.

I figured it was just me. I even tried to look up an interview with Ioan Grufford and I only saw a few that weren't from comic con.

I wouldn't think too much into Forever not showing up under the menu on ABC's website. That's been happening on and off with Black-ish as well and we know that's not going anywhere.

I'm sad to hear that the show's at risk of cancellation because the latest episode (King of Columbus Circle) showed me why I like this show - it's very satisfying, like a well-balanced meal.  This show doesn't rely on its gimmick to be cutting edge, but instead lets the characters have interesting stories while provoking some interesting conversations about history, family, and other themes. It's not addictive like some shows out here, but it just feels enjoyable. 

So I'm really hoping it can be renewed; Ioan Gruffudd deserves a second season after Ringer fell through. Also, definitely looking forward to more Burn Gorman.

• Love 2

I'm sad to hear that the show's at risk of cancellation because the latest episode (King of Columbus Circle) showed me why I like this show - it's very satisfying, like a well-balanced meal.  This show doesn't rely on its gimmick to be cutting edge, but instead lets the characters have interesting stories while provoking some interesting conversations about history, family, and other themes. It's not addictive like some shows out here, but it just feels enjoyable. 

So I'm really hoping it can be renewed; Ioan Gruffudd deserves a second season after Ringer fell through. Also, definitely looking forward to more Burn Gorman.

I agree with your first paragraph completely, but I think we viewers deserve a second season more than Ioan or Burn, LOL. ;>)
  • Love 1

This show doesn't rely on its gimmick to be cutting edge, but instead lets the characters have interesting stories while provoking some interesting conversations about history, family, and other themes. It's not addictive like some shows out here, but it just feels enjoyable. 

Yeah, one thing I really like about this show is that, unlike many others that burn through their gimmick in the first season and then really struggle for direction in season 2, it feels like Forever could chug along happily for at least three seasons without running out of gas and having to make any big changes. As long as the cases of the week stay interesting, the relationship between Henry and Jo is pretty slow-burning (in a good way) and the reveal of Henry's backstory (well, backstories) and the story of whatever really happened to Jo's husband can continue to drip out in small doses. 

• Love 3

There was never a new episode scheduled for this week in the first place. At the end of Social Engineering, the promo for the next new episode guest starring Cuba Gooding, Jr. said it would air on March 24. Reruns in March are normal. The networks air new episodes for sweeps in November, February, and May so the reruns go in between those months. In addition, many networks don't want to compete with March Madness (similar to the reason why many shows don't air in September because of baseball).

Where are people seeing this week's episode before its ABC airing tonight? I see in the episode thread that apparently it's available, but how? I'm envious and I want in!

Forever airs in Canada on Monday nights, not Tuesday. We get it one day before the US (we get Castle too on Sunday's). So there are a few people who will see the show Monday night, which is why the thread is available for comment.

There was never a new episode scheduled for this week in the first place. At the end of Social Engineering, the promo for the next new episode guest starring Cuba Gooding, Jr. said it would air on March 24. Reruns in March are normal. The networks air new episodes for sweeps in November, February, and May so the reruns go in between those months. In addition, many networks don't want to compete with March Madness (similar to the reason why many shows don't air in September because of baseball).

This is what I get for actually watching a network show as it airs lol. I'm used to USA (Burn Notice) and HBO (Game of Thrones) scheduling. Edited by Jaded Sapphire

This is what I get for actually watching a network show as it airs lol. I'm used to USA (Burn Notice) and HBO (Game of Thrones) scheduling.

All networks and shows have to decide if they can compete with awards shows, sports events, and holidays. Even HBO/Game of Thrones takes a break for Memorial Day weekend now (they didn't the first two seasons but they have taken that week off since S3). But some shows just don't care and air new programs despite events that may affect their ratings.
(edited)

From the media thread:

Man, I really wish this show would be renewed. It's has decent ratings but a low 18-49 demo, so I wish they would renew and move it to another day maybe. Love this show.

Although the show is only hover at just above the 1.0 demo rating, I would not be surprised (though not holding out hope) if the series gets at least a half-season order as a mid-season replacement for the next TV year, similar to what ABC did with Body of Proof.

Also, the season finale is scheduled for May 5th, per EW.com (somewhat spoilerly article).  So, after the new episode on April 7th, and with only two episodes left, it looks like the next new episode will be on April 28th.

Edited by Just Here

The latest promo said the next episode will be April 21. If the season finale is May 5, that means another two-week gap between 1.21 and 1.22. Uggggh. This show has more breaks than a union staff room. 

• Love 2

Watched a few episodes of this, found it so, so and never really kept up with it.  Picked it up again and am totally lost.  Who is Issac, who is Adam, why should I care?  Sometime mid-season I guess they threw in a mysterious disappearance of Abigail.  I usually hate shows that have to recap the season to date in the first minute or so but this show really needed that for any new viewers or returning viewers.  I'm 50-50 about watching any future episodes.  The COW didn't pull me in and the mystery new cast members aren't telling me why I would, should care about them.  How nice that this 2000 year old "Adam" would like Morgan to off himself with the newly found gun.  Why does he care if there is another can't be killed kid on the block?  Not as if their like vampires that may get to be the big bads if they survive the longest.  If the was some mysteries weapons that kill but the dead arise unable to die by any other means was the dagger melted down to make the gun?  Is there a mysterious cult making magical weapons, any clue show.  Might helped to gain initial viewers if there was a hint in the beginning of the series not thrown in when it appeared cancellation was imminent.  Pretty sure that the ratings won't be getting my help.

Edited by JustLilOlMe

I can't disagree with your post, JustLilOlMe, but I still watch the show every week, mainly for the Abe/Henry bits. The only reasons I can think it might be renewed are because 1) it hasn't been canceled yet and because 2) according to TV by the Numbers there are 6 shows with equally bad ratings, so they might renew at least one, and, IMO, Forever is the best of the bunch.

A brief overview of the show; why you should want to watch it, the show's ratings, What we can do to prevent cancellations, and the scarfie campaign... In other words, everything I can fit in a three minute speech and still make sure it's well sourced.

I think the Henry/Abe relationship and the twist of the older person being the son is the most interesting hook into the series. They don't have to really know any more than that bit to tune in and "get" an episode.

Depending upon your audience and how well you know their interests, you might mention a couple of places where they may have previously seen Judd Hirsch (Numb3rs because he was a father, or Taxi if they're an elderly crowd).

I'm not sure, but I think unless you have a Nielsen box in your home, you can't effect ratings.

I'm not sure, but I think unless you have a Nielsen box in your home, you can't effect ratings.

There's one way to mildly effect ratings -- if you have a DVR or On Demand (or equivalent) from your cable system, you can watch the episode that way.  I'm told that one of the numbers that is being watched with interest by broadcasters is the number of viewers watching a show on delay by DVR or some kind of on demand system.  Those viewers are seen to be tech savvy, and therefore more likely to be in the high demand demographic.  The sooner after the original airing that you watch, the more highly prized the numbers are seen to be.

Caveat:  I'm not in any way associated with any network or Hollywood in general.  This is just scuttlebutt that I've picked up listening to really smart, well connected folks here on PTV!

j5cochran, assuming that is true (and, now that you mention it, I think I read that too), that could mean that the show watched live would get lower ratings than the show watch On Demand. But I think they have an algorithm to adjust for that.

Neilsen counts DVR viewings that occur within, I forget, either 24 or 48 hours as essentially equal to a live viewing, in terms of how they extrapolate their sample size into millions. DVR viewings later than that but in less than a week are counted, but as "less" than what that same one household would've extrapolated to had they watched it live. I don't know the exact formula. But it's counted as less. If you watch it on your DVR later than that, say, record the whole season and then binge watch it in one go at the end, most of those viewings count for nothing, Neilsen-wise, if they're too far from original airdate.

Of course, the individual cable companies might keep other stats on viewings that they provide to who knows who. And I don't know how Neilsen treats OnDemand. I imagine something similar to how they treat DVR, but based on the date it became available rather than original airdate (since there's often a delay), but that's an educated guess.

I'd say something like...as bingewatching later becomes more and more common they ought to adjust their algorithms, but their model is already so flawed that's sort of like saying our tax code is too complicated. Everyone knows already but it still ain't changing any time soon.

• Love 1