Type keyword(s) to search

Forever In The Media...

WendyCR72

That's interesting. What's this ex-wife know about Henry? If they were married, and twice, didn't she happen to wonder why Henry is always the same? Not to mention who is Henry since I doubt she was told the truth)

• Love 1

Good news (because I like this show) - a Full Season of Forever was ordered by ABC. Excellent. At least the show will survive a year.

Yeah! I just saw that on the ismyshowcancelled.com site! :) I came on here to see if anybody is talking about it, and if not, I was going to bring it up. Wow a full season! I am really surprised! Well, it doesn't mean it's going to have a 2nd season. I did read recently that the ratings spiked up! :)

So excited to hear that I'm getting a full season of Gruffudd goodness!  When I didn't see Forever on my DVR schedule last week, I feared the worst.  I didn't see the previews on the previous episode because I've been saving the last couple eps and not watching right away because I didn't want to get even more attached only to have it torn from my grasp.  Now I can fully enjoy watching this show without that bit of dread that would always creep in.

I also hope that since it's gotten a little breathing room that they won't feel compelled to speed up events in order to get some kind of closure before it gets cancelled.  I really don't want his secret being discovered by anybody, especially Det Martinez.  I'd actually be fine if she never found out.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 2

This is great news!  I have really been enjoying this show.  It is quirky and different.  Plus the actor playing Henry is awesome.  I was not familiar with him before this.

Well it's not different from New Amsterdam at the very least.  But I guess the time came for the concept to succeed.

Well it's not different from New Amsterdam at the very least.  But I guess the time came for the concept to succeed.

I never saw New Amsterdam, Was it on cable?  Well, yes it IS time for the concept to succeed. :)

Aw. Forever is on the list of likely to be canceled shows after this season:

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/entertainment/14-tv-shows-likely-to-get-the-axe-after-this-season.html/?a=viewall

Forever, ABC

With a Renew/Cancel Index only slightly above shows like Selfie and Manhattan Love Story, which ABC has already canceled, TV By the Numbers predicts that Forever will definitely be gone by this May. Forever is about an immortal medical examiner living (forever) and practicing medicine in New York City. His 200 years on Earth have given him a lot of insight into his profession, but the show just couldn’t draw viewers. Cue the jokes about the show’s short lifespan, its inability to survive, its mortality, how it couldn’t last forever.

Aw. Forever is on the list of likely to be canceled shows after this season:

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/entertainment/14-tv-shows-likely-to-get-the-axe-after-this-season.html/?a=viewall

Between this and ABC's killing of Selfie, other show runners should be forewarned that ABC is a dangerous neighborhood to move to. Don't know if it's total budget or inside politics, but looking at http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/12/23/abc-predictions-a-lump-of-coal-in-their-stocking-which-shows-would-you-cancel-poll/340061/ Forever's sad fate reminds me of many years ago when I rented my first house, only to learn a couple of months later that it had been sold and I was being evicted.
  • Love 1

There is a reason ABC is known as Always Be Cancelling.

I don't know why Show Runners don't stick to selling their shows to cable networks. On there they are at least allowed to grow an audience before anyone gives up. It's hard watching new shows on Network TV.  I don't want to get attached only to have it cancelled abruptly. Selfie despite it's unfortunate name turned out to be a great show. I'm loving this show as well, it's entertaining and I love seeing characters that act almost like regular people would act and not over the top made for TV reactions. 

• Love 1

Show runners and executive producers don't usually own the shows they produce. They are hired help. In this case Warner Brothers owns the show and it mostly does business with the broadcast networks because that's where the big money is.

• Love 2

Well, if Forever is bound for cancellation, I will just enjoy what we get. I just found the show and am really enjoying it (with the possible exception of the lawyer from Law & Order who I don't think can act). Have now managed to see a,l but episodes 2, 3, and 4. Maybe word of mouth will pick up, it's what brought me to the table and the show will be given a second season.

• Love 1

I swear, every show I love to watch is so close to cancellation/will be cancelled. What's stupid is that the show gets a good 5.00+ million viewers, on a night that has Monday Night Football and tons of other competition (yeah yeah, I know, 18-49 demo's and all of that). They get like over 5 million viewers. I wish they would give the show another chance and move it to another day, so maybe it will have less competition and hopefully more viewers. It is really good fluff, and when you consider there are some other poor shows that stick around...give it a chance.

Again with our instant gratification society (and TV networks), they are not willing to wait a bit. The example I can remember is the X-Files, whose first year ratings were very low. Popular opinion is that nowadays, TXF would have been cancelled after the first season, but in the 90s, the network gave it a chance, and it became the NINE season acclaimed classic that it is today. I know, not the same genre, but networks todays are too ready to swing the axe.

• Love 2

Again with our instant gratification society (and TV networks), they are not willing to wait a bit. The example I can remember is the X-Files, whose first year ratings were very low. Popular opinion is that nowadays, TXF would have been cancelled after the first season, but in the 90s, the network gave it a chance, and it became the NINE season acclaimed classic that it is today. I know, not the same genre, but networks todays are too ready to swing the axe.

The genre is not the issue with your example, it truly is the times and the instant gratification nation we have become. Some of the most acclaimed shows of the 80s and 90s (Cheers, Seinfeld, Hill Street Blues, Family Ties, etc.) would never have become what they are had they aired now. All were considered poor performers at best but they were allowed to continue to develop their respective audiences. Until networks go back to this approach, true classics will never see the light of day, and just as is the case with movies, popular dreck (reality TV anyone) will continue to rule and cause brain rot in their wake.

If I recall correctly, The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., was supposed to be a big hit, and The X-Files occupied the following timeslot.  Fox had no great expectations of XF, but needed to fill the timeslot.  But it consistently out-performed AoBC,J, so at the end of the first season XF was renewed and the other was not.

In 1993 I think the only hits on Fox were The Simpsons and Married, With Children.  Today, of course, Fox will kill off an under-performing show at the end of act one of the Pilot.

• Love 1

...In 1993 I think the only hits on Fox were The Simpsons and Married, With Children.  Today, of course, Fox will kill off an under-performing show at the end of act one of the Pilot.

I wonder if today, with so many options to recoup production costs (Selfie, for example, was canceled and then the remaining episodes were released on Hulu, and look what just happened with The Interview) that canceling a show from prime time network airing is considered in the industry to be analogous to the grocery store telling the stock boy to move the Bisquick out of the pancake aisle and into the flour aisle.
  • Love 1

Whoa! I thought I'd checked the TV Guide online listings for tonight. We had a marathon! I got home in time to catch the whole thing. They ran episodes 3, 4 and 6. ("The Fountain of Youth," "The Art of Murder" and "The Frustrating Thing About Psychopaths.") I wonder how the ratings will be. I don't know if it will help draw viewers, but I like what ABC chose to fill the schedule. 

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/09/forever-spoilers-caller/

'Forever' producer promises more answers

EW: Considering Henry’s immortal, do you see the series ending with his death?

Matt Miller: I see the series ending with cancellation. There’s a lot of different ways that we could end this show. I have a few ideas for it. It really will depend on whose terms are we going out on? I’m very hopeful for a season 2, but season 1 is not being built as if the last episode is the last episode. It’s being built as if there’s a season 2. And season 2 will be built as if season 2 is not the end of it. If there’s a way to go out on our own terms, then I have an idea for how I’d like this show to end. I can’t reveal, certainly, whether or not Henry dies or not, but even if he’s left with the option to die or not, does he choose life or death in that situation?

Edited by sonyab
  • Love 1

aww man.. I thought it was getting picked up for another season. Shows I love tend to get canceled or get taken over by new writers/showrunners and turn to crap. Criminal Minds has currently turned to crap and probably should have been canceled after season 5. There are much better programs getting canceled. :-(

Oh well, I'll just enjoy it while I can. I don't think they could sustain the "not aging" part for years on end.

• Love 1

ALL shows are eventually cancelled. Even MASH and HIMYTM. Those two just went out on their own terms is all.

Well of course all shows are eventually cancelled. :) MASH and HIMYM were both on a long time. But shows only lasting 1 season isn't good. Some don't even last 1 season. Just a few months.

sonyab, thank you for that link. Henry and Abe make me happy. Henry is just such a dad. "Abraham, we do not snooker people!" Hee.

You're welcome! And yeah Henry is such a dad hahaha. They are so great together as father and son.

• Love 1