Type keyword(s) to search

Forever In The Media...

WendyCR72

Who is John Noble that he warrants being in a headline?  I have not ever heard of him.

He might be a Hey It's That Guy for you - he was on Fringe (not a show I watched, but apparently when the cast was asked the question who would you take home with you, everyone picked him).  He's on Sleepy Hollow (haven't seen the final four of season 2 and am only partly spoiled).  He's got one of those gorgeous murmur-y deep voices.  He also apparently was in Lord of the Rings (haven't seen any of those yet either).  IMDB.

• Love 1

The Kimmel interview barely even mentioned the show, beyond the fact that he plays a doctor who doesn't die and the season finale is coming up. They spent most of it discussing Ioan's name and how hard it is to pronounce (he takes it in good humor, but he must be so tired of interviewers that can't get over it). On the plus side, however, he sprinkled in quite a bit of Welsh toward the end of the interview, which was lovely to hear.

But no discussion at all about renewal, and unless Ioan's mere appearance is supposed to boost ratings, not much of a plug for the show either. :-(

I saw the interview and agree it was odd that 'Forever' was barely mentioned.  I did notice that the last episode was referred to as the 'season finale' and not a 'series finale'.  I've got to wonder if the decision on whether or not to renew was expected to be announced tonight, but there's been a delay about making that decision.  Ioan might have been giving a hint when he said that the show started out with great ratings and then deteriorated.

Maybe there were others like me who watched, but as other shows began their seasons moved off to watch more established shows.  It didn't help that ABC had a delay on watching 'Forever' on their website, unless you have an account with a satellite or cable company, you have to wait 8 days to watch their shows.  By then another episode has been shown and it seems to be too much effort to watch, especially when I'd have no one to discuss the episode with by the time I finally saw it.

Anyway, as POI started to make me lose interest, I switched and came back to Forever, thinking that maybe I'd watch POI online instead.

It wasn't a bad interview.  I think they were limited on time because he was the second guest (the first guest usually gets two segments) and they still had a musical guest afterwards.  He came off as very charming (I could have paused the dvr and stared at him for hours along with listening to him talk).  Kimmel mentioned the finale when he was introduced and cracked a few jokes about how he dies, but comes back (unlike McDreamy).  

I just read some article about on EW about shows cancelled during the 2014-2015 season and when i didn't see Forever listed i came here hoping for jubillant news of it's renewal :( no dice yet! I haven't given up hope

From SpoilerTV's Ask Ausiello:

Question: I’m worried about Forever not coming back next year. Take my mind off it by giving me some finale scoop, please. —Barb

Ausiello: Remember when star Ioan Gruffudd told TVLine Henry wasn’t going to worry about Adam much in the future? The finale makes the why behind that statement abundantly clear — and not in the way you’re thinking.

Why.. what does this mean??? *whinyvoice* 

I have a feeling that if the show is done, Henry becomes mortal, and therefore they can hint at him having a "normal" relationship with Jo. The title of the episode pretty much says that --> "The Last Death of Henry Morgan"

• Love 1

Stay calm people, lets not panic! LOL.  I haven’t seen any large people singing yet in the this opera, so this shows is still going on.

As for the shows season ending title "The Last Death of Henry Morgan".  Those writers would never make it that obvious, oh sure they’d want us to think this is the end.  But I’m on to them and their devil thinking ways.  Heres my two cents on the title, Henry must have had hundreds of alias names over the years……RIP Henry Morgan, time to reinvent yourself.

The creators said a while back that they were going to write the season and the finale assuming the story would continue into a second season, regardless of what the ratings said. But it is possible they changed their mind on that when they were really staring down the barrel of cancellation.

I only just saw this TV Line interview with Ioan from last week (which is a really nice interview, especially the last answer). I think some of this belongs in the spoiler thread, but his answer to the question about Adam as a threat

does give credence to the idea that he is made mortal

, though at the same time, he at least appears to be hoping there will be a second season.

• Love 1

How would he know that he's made mortal without actually dying, though?

Maybe Adam dies, and thus Henry finds out how to if he wants to? Or Adam's theory doesn't work out at all, and he bows out of Henry's life (at least for the time being)? Or they reach an understanding and go out for a drink...well, okay, probably not that.

Come on, second season!

Unless they are planning the finale as a series finale, I doubt he would lose his immortality.  The immortality is the most distinctive thing about the show that makes it different than, say, "Elementary".

I could see Jo finding out, and thus it is a figurative "last death".

The worst would be a cliffhanger.  If the final scenes of the episode are of Henry pointing that gun at himself and contemplating whether to pull the trigger, or if he pulls it and we hear a shot and then fade to black.... my screams will be heard from here to Timbuktu.

Unless they are planning the finale as a series finale, I doubt he would lose his immortality.  The immortality is the most distinctive thing about the show that makes it different than, say, "Elementary".

I could see Jo finding out, and thus it is a figurative "last death".

How 'bout this: Jo finds out, and she gets shot with the immortality-creating gun; or stabbed with Adam's dagger, and so she becomes immortal.  Then she & Henry can live ever-after (happily?, I'm not sure).

• Love 1

We should know May 12th about renewal, yes???

Yup - everything for all shows will be announced no later than at the Upfronts next week. ABC is scheduled to present May 12th, at 4:00pm.

Sorry, everyone. Not surprising, though.  :-(  And I hate defending ABC, but it did try the show on other nights, but it never grew. Being against Chicago Fire couldn't have helped, either.

When did they try it on other nights? It's always been on Tuesday, except for the premiere. 

It's not surprising, this was my only show that didn't get a renewal. At least the finale was satisfying in I can now imagine on my own what happened.  

• Love 1

Well it's hardly a surprise but it's still a bummer. 

Thanks to everyone on this little corner of the forum for enhancing my viewing experience -- it has been fun to collectively go from "Hmmm, I don't know about this show; I guess I'll watch one more episode" to "this show is actually not bad" to "they have to renew this show!" across the season. 

• Love 1

The only thing that lessens my grief is the thought that the second season could have not matched the quality of the first one, and now the show will live on in my memories as a fun story that ended.

Oh, but Forever could have been such a fun summer show!

Ugh.  This is so disappointing.  I saw news of the cancelation show up in my Facebook feed.  It would be great if another network picked it up, but is there some "way" that that usually comes about, if it does?  

It takes a lot for me to get drawn into watching a TV series anymore.  The last series I got hooked on was the show LIFE on NBC, about a detective Charlie Crews.  A great show uniquely different with great writing, but what happens, they kill it after season 2.  Even today if I bring that show up to people they all say they loved it and got hooked on it.  Now Forever, a show that again is uniquely different with endless possible stories that can be written about, particularly with events dealing with world history going back even 2000 years with Adam…..dead after one season.  Whats the point, I’m expecting anytime to see “CSI Boise Idaho” to be produced.  I’m starting to think all the executives at all of the networks don’t have two balls between them.

Ok, I’m off the soap box, RIP Forever.

• Love 3

:( Ioan's instagram

My dear friends, fans, supporters.
Tonight, as you all now know, I received a phone call that I was hoping not to receive, and to be honest I really wasn’t expecting it. I knew the numbers hadn’t been great, but I also knew the studio and the network both loved the show, and of course that it had an incredible fan base…so I thought we were in with a pretty good chance.

I do hope another showrunner gives Ioan Gruffudd another chance to head up a series. And I hope that that series also comes with a built in plot-device to get him shirtless every few episodes. 

• Love 7

It's been a while since a show I like was cancelled. Team I'm Bummed. 

Too bad that they don't do series of TV movies, because this show would imo be perfect for it. 

I.Gruffud and A. de la Garza are two actors I really like and I hope they'll find the right vehicle, but I'm going to miss their onscreen chemistry.

Well, with the original L&O reboot stuff still being rumored/thrown around, perhaps Alana De La Garza's ADA Connie Rubirosa can land there if it ever stops just being talk. Reboots are all the rage these days...

I'm disappointed but not surprised. It makes me even more grateful that the season finale wrapped things up instead of ending on a cliffhanger. Adam has been neutralized and Jo is about to learn Henry's secret, which are the two main mysteries/conflicts of the show so at least I won't be left wondering what happened in the Forever universe.

• Love 3

I'll add my disappointment to the posts above.  I feel especially bad for that wonderful cast, who were absolutely perfect in their roles.  

http://www.tvguide.com/news/abc-renewals-cancellations-fall-2015/

There are a lot of supportive comments on the TV Guide site.  It wouldn't hurt to add more.  There is a link to Ioan's wife's announcement about the cancellation.  She sounds like an absolutely delightful person, and they have such a beautiful family.

• Love 1

This was our favorite new show this season and it sucks they cancelled it!  ABC renewed a lot of other junk, of course anything based on Marvel or Disney gets renewed instead of a good solid show like Forever.

• Love 2

Gosh, I almost never take it hard when shows get cancelled. I grew up when you got three stations and a show ended when the regular season did and came back a few months later. If something got cancelled, there'd be a void. Then, I'd miss shows more when they were gone. I wasn't following dozens of shows that began and ended at different times, sometimes after very long breaks. These breaks give me an "out of sight, out of mind" feeling about even shows I like. When something I like or even love is cancelled, I feel bad for about a second and then mostly forget it. Being Human US is one notable exception. Forever is another. It's a beautiful show with characters I care about and that held my attention. I was invested, and that doesn't happen much anymore. My husband and I watched live every week (at least once we got hooked and then knew it was in danger).

Thank you to PTV for giving me a place to supplement my enjoyment and to the posters here who added so much to it and can share the pain.   

• Love 4

This show is amazing!  I just can't believe that they cancelled it.  With all the crap that continues to be shown, season after season, it's just absurd that Forever got cancelled.  Whoever made that decision deserves to be fired!  I'll miss these characters.

• Love 3

Ioan's Instagram letter to the fans made my eyes burn. 

I'm more upset about this than I thought I'd be, but I've come to love these characters and I want to see their story completed! Is there anything we can do? Is there a fan campaign we can be part of? 

ABC blows. 

• Love 5

So many shows I've loved have been cancelled over the years, I've grown accustomed to it. Still, I'm sad, this was one of the best casts on a (sort of) "procedural"  I've seen in years.

I'm glad that the season/series finale was done so well. It would have worked whatever the outcome. One plus, for me, I'd never really seen Ioan before (other than in the Fantastic Four, many years ago). So now I'll look out for his other projects.

• Love 3