Type keyword(s) to search

Forever In The Media...

WendyCR72

Sad.  To be honest, when it premiered, I thought it was going to be one of the first cancellations of the season.  But it kept on going, and we got an entire season.  I was holding out hope that it was going to get renewed, but alas.

I am sorry this show was cancelled, but frankly, I'm not surprised.  I'd forget about this show, remember, watch and enjoy it.  The problem with this show was ABC.  ABC chose to fuck over all of Time Warner's customers by making us wait 1 week to watch the show online.  Also, why was this show on at 10pm? Doesn't anybody realize that us on the East coast have to go to work?  

I think what really sank this show wasn't that people didn't watch, but WHO wasn't watching.  Take Hannibal, that show has really low ratings, but what they also have is a young, rabid fanbase that went coo coo bananas on Tumblr who were all DVRing the show and watching later.  I see TV shows like this, it's always about money.  Either a show has to have a huge audience (like Empire) or if it has a smaller audience, they better be under the age of 40, the desired demographic, after all, young folks impulse buy a lot more than older peole.  Maybe Forever's demographic didn't justify ABC giving it another season.

• Love 5

I'm disappointed, but not surprised.  I'm hoping that given the feedback that ABC is getting about the cancellation, maybe they will reconsider the cancellation and bring it back, maybe as a mid-season replacement or spring season series.  If not ABC, maybe a cable network could pick this show up (Lifetime, etc?)

• Love 3

Gah, I had so hoped for a different outcome.  The ratings were ticking upward, the storylines were getting better...I guess they just weren't gaining fast enough.  This one has really hit me hard for some reason.  I'm still moping.

I was hoping maybe SyFy or TNT would give it a chance.  This doesn't seem like Netflix's kind of show so I don't hold out hope there.  But regardless, I'm now Ioan Gruffudd's fan for life.  He seems like such a sweet person and his family is adorbs.

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't think Netflix has a "type" of show. They have Hemlock Grove which is just one big crazy, gross show about Upirs (Ukrainian/Russain Vampires) and Werewolves, fighting Demon Dragon things. 

Edited by Sakura12

Am so sad and depressed about this...I really loved this show and on a different day and a different time slot, it would have maybe had a chance to improve.

However, one annoying thing. Some people really like Galavant (ABC also). Both shows got the exact same ratings and demo. One was renewed, once was cancelled. I think ABC owned Galavant, and not Forever, and Forever may even have been more expensive of a show to produce, therefore chopsy!

So depressed....

• Love 2

I am disappointed. I thought this show was really different in so many ways. The idea that it was both a supernatural show AND a police procedural. Joe and Henry had a real sort of grown up relationship. Jo had a handsome and funny police partner and he wasn't her love interest / show lead...  Judd freaking Hirsch .. who was just as amazing as ever, and finally Lucas, who never failed to amuse me. I saw "New Amsterdam" on Fox and it failed to capture me at all even with a young Jamie Lannister. But this did because it had much more likable characters.

But alas, I don't think ABC supported the show. Sometimes I don't know the reason for this but "forever" didn't get the media articles it should have. It didn't get the time slots it should have... and personally, I forgot about the show a lot of the time.  Half of it was that I work and usually would fall asleep either before or during it.  I can't really believe they renewed Agent Carter and not this. I don't see that AC has room to grow too much while this seemed like had more long term potential.

• Love 4
I can't really believe they renewed Agent Carter and not this. I don't see that AC has room to grow too much while this seemed like had more long term potential.

Marvel properties are hot right now (the Avengers: Age of Ultron movie/Daredevil on Netflix), so I think that's why Agent Carter survived.

• Love 1
(edited)

Marvel properties are hot right now (the Avengers: Age of Ultron movie/Daredevil on Netflix), so I think that's why Agent Carter survived.

Agent Carter is also a really good show and I recommend it, even if you don't watch the other Marvel stuff (I've actually only seen a few of the movies and I found I didn't really need to know anything from those, unless you want to understand a few inside jokes about certain characters). I think in some ways it's better than its predecessor Agents of SHIELD. I wasn't going to watch Agent Carter, just didn't think I'd get into it, especially because I knew it was about this female agent during the late 1940's after the war, and I was afraid it would irritate me because they'd treat her like crap (women being treated like they didn't have the right stuff for what were considered male-dominated careers).

But I saved them on my DVR as a "maybe someday when there's nothing else on" and eventually (during the spring break of reruns) I mainlined the show's brief 8 episodes in about a week and a half. They did treat her pretty lousy, but I was really impressed with how they presented her as an overall character. She was tough, smart, resourceful, sure of herself and did things her own way, no matter how the men of her time treated her. And I was pleasantly surprised with how tightly woven the story was. Maybe there's something to be said for a show that only has shorter seasons. Leaves less time for straying off point. 

In some ways I wanted Agent Carter to be renewed more than Agents of SHIELD.

Than again, I also wanted Forever renewed.  *sigh*

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 6

Same here. Really liked Agent Carter (gave it a chance on a whim) but no interest for Agent of Shield. Loved Forever, wanted it renewed, nothing. Same with Constantine, which also got cancelled.

Ah well - at least Sleepy Hollow survived it's season 2 mess - I have that. And maybe Ioan Gruffudd can guest star on the show - I'd get two gorgeous Brits in one place and my life would be complete *grin*

• Love 7

I will really, really miss this show and its cast, and I wish them all the best. I will buy the season DVD if they release one. What a shame that Forever is gone but dreck ( like reality programming and other stupid shows) go on and on.

With Forever gone and The Mentalist finished too, plus two or three other series I watched faithfully also gone or winding down, I'm thinking there is less and less reason for me to waste my money on monthly cable. In fact I just took a quick look at my PVR and 90% of what I watch now is imported British shows, none of which are on the main networks.

Maybe I'll go cable free for the summer as a trial run. Why should I support the major networks when they no longer program for my viewing pleasure?

• Love 4

Casual viewer - if you are a digital watcher, the season is available in streaming format on Amazon (perhaps iTunes as well - didn't check)

I'm with you on the dreck on broadcast TV. I don't have cable but Netflix, Acorn TV, Amazon, Hulu and You Tube really are my primary viewing choices. Rather than adding to the "My Shows" list, it just keeps getting shorter and shorter.

Relationships like Henry and Jo are, to me, are a dime a dozen--but the Henry-Abe realtionship was a rare thing of beauty.

My 26-year-old daughter who likes to binge reruns of I Love Lucy and The Mary Tyler Moore Show also loved this show, but she does not consider herself representative of viewers from her age group. She says it's probably canceled because it didn't attract her age group. She pointed out that an antique shop wasn't a very hip location.

A&E recently picked up CBS's canceled Unforgettable, which is also a crime show with a gimick--but a natural one.

My guess is only SyFy would touch this show, and that seems unlikely.

• Love 2

Casual viewer - if you are a digital watcher, the season is available in streaming format on Amazon (perhaps iTunes as well - didn't check)

I'm with you on the dreck on broadcast TV. I don't have cable but Netflix, Acorn TV, Amazon, Hulu and You Tube really are my primary viewing choices. Rather than adding to the "My Shows" list, it just keeps getting shorter and shorter.

I live in Canada so I'm not sure of what options re streaming are available for me. But now that real life is easing up somewhat, I shall do some research. I just got Chromecast working so YouTube works well with that. ITunes I try to avoid at all costs. Thanks for the suggestions. I wonder if Horatio Hornblower is available. That was my first intro to Ioan.

I agree with others re the relationship between Henry and Abe as being special. I'm trying to remember the last time a cancellation made me this upset, and it's been some time. At least we weren't left with a cliffhanger.

• Love 1

Ioan's Instagram message is getting a lot of publicity, and it's even trending on Facebook right now.

I don't think the fight is out of this show yet. 

The response to the cancellation is giving me a bit of hope, too.  If people didn't know who Ioan Gruffudd was before the cancellation, they do now.  

But alas, I don't think ABC supported the show. Sometimes I don't know the reason for this but "forever" didn't get the media articles it should have. It didn't get the time slots it should have... and personally, I forgot about the show a lot of the time.  Half of it was that I work and usually would fall asleep either before or during it.  I can't really believe they renewed Agent Carter and not this. I don't see that AC has room to grow too much while this seemed like had more long term potential.

I agree that ABC missed a few opportunities to support the show.  I know it would probably have been too little, too late, but I was very irritated by the inane questioning during the Jimmy Kimmel interview.  He wasted 99% of a too-brief interview on Ioan's name before finally saying something about the show in the last few seconds.  It was like watching some junior high school interview, in my opinion.  Get over it, Jimmy, and move on!  

Another thing that could possibly have helped the series would have been the availability of ALL episodes online for those viewers - like me - who came upon the show in mid-season and wanted to binge-watch from the beginning, but they weren't available on ABC, and only the last five episodes were available on HuluPlus.  I thought that was what put the "Plus" in Hulu, but I guess I was wrong.  To this day, I don't think I've seen all the episodes, thanks to ABC's stinginess.   Other ABC shows, such as Once Upon a Time, can be viewed for entire seasons.  

Someone upthread mentioned "Galavant," a show I watched, enjoyed, and was shocked to see renewed.  I suppose it stood a better chance of getting renewed because it is a very short season of only six episodes, and IIRC, it was used as a filler during a Once Upon a Time hiatus.  

I would love to see Forever picked up by a network that would use it as a summer show, such as TNT's Last Ship.  It would give us a nice, meaty show during the summer, and the competition wouldn't nearly be as fierce.   

• Love 4

Someone upthread mentioned "Galavant," a show I watched, enjoyed, and was shocked to see renewed.  I suppose it stood a better chance of getting renewed because it is a very short season of only six episodes, and IIRC, it was used as a filler during a Once Upon a Time hiatus. 

I was surprised by that too.  But I see a theme, both shows (agent carter) were limited series with less than full year orders. Perhaps ABC would only give them a second chance if they didn't cost too much.

We say this every spring but I think the network model is dying. They don't see it but they are cutting off their own nose to spite their face.  They are morphing into places to find cheap crud shows while those who look for other / better things are moving to Netflix or cable.  If you are a smart show runner cable or netflix is your new home.  I have very few shows that are my faves that are on network tv. I honestly don't think I even watch CBS at all.

With the proliferation of TV cable networks I am surprised no network has started that just picked up shows that the networks dropped (but had a built in audience). If I knew anything about cable networks I would totally do that.

• Love 3

I was surprised by that too.  But I see a theme, both shows (agent carter) were limited series with less than full year orders. Perhaps ABC would only give them a second chance if they didn't cost too much.

We say this every spring but I think the network model is dying. They don't see it but they are cutting off their own nose to spite their face.  They are morphing into places to find cheap crud shows while those who look for other / better things are moving to Netflix or cable.  If you are a smart show runner cable or netflix is your new home.  I have very few shows that are my faves that are on network tv. I honestly don't think I even watch CBS at all.

With the proliferation of TV cable networks I am surprised no network has started that just picked up shows that the networks dropped (but had a built in audience). If I knew anything about cable networks I would totally do that.

I never watched Agent Carter, but I liked Galavant.  It had quirky humor to it and the music was catchy and tongue in cheek.  I agree about the network model dying out.  I can count on one hand the number of network shows that I watch regularly (Once Upon a Time, The Middle, SVU, Grey's Anatomy, and General Hospital). The quick to cancel mentality makes me very reluctant to give new shows a chance; why should I invest my time in watching a new show when it's most likely going to be cancelled in a few months.  For the second straight season, I have gotten into a new show with a great ensemble cast that ended up being cancelled by ABC (Betrayal and Forever).   

• Love 3
(edited)

They really should have picked this up for a 13-15 episode order, like before, and planned on it being a replacement for an inevitable flop. It had a steady, loyal audience, and I think did quite well for a show that had nothing to speak of in the way of promotion, and a kind of crap timeslot. No need to order a back nine if you're planning on starting it much later than usual.

At any rate, I'm hoping for a good dvd set, with lots of commentary, and I'm going to follow all the people involved to their next projects. I'm also going to hold out a tiny bit of hope that another network jumps in and saves it (I even adjusted to watching Community online.) Hey, they renewed Galavant, so anything should be possible! (Full disclosure - I adored Galavant, but you could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw it was renewed.)

Edited by Ananayel
  • Love 7

This was a really good show.  It should have been on in a different time slot.  Putting it on against Persons of Interest, and Chicago Fire did it no favors.  

As to the Demographic... maybe it wasn't a favorite of those under 40. However, given the last several years, TPTB should rethink their target audience. Millenials and Generation X don't have the buying power they used to. It's the not yet retired Baby Boomers that have the money, and it's the baby boomers who are spending the money to take care of their boomerang children these days.   Targeting us with a few shows might be a good idea.  It's one that CBS has practiced for a while now. 

• Love 6

Change.org petition to get WB to fight for the show:

https://www.change.org/p/warner-brothers-warner-brothers-fans-love-the-tv-show-forever

Like what happened with Sleepy Hollow, fans, showrunners and the actors should have tried harder to save this show while it was actually on the air, but maybe it's not too late. Then again, Ioan seemed confidant that the show was going to be renewed, so who knows what went on behind the scenes.

I think that giving up on a show like this with a solid following and potential for growth and rewatchability through syndication and streaming is a huge mistake for both ABC AND Warner Brothers. 

• Love 3

...As to the Demographic... maybe it wasn't a favorite of those under 40. However, given the last several years, TPTB should rethink their target audience. Millenials and Generation X don't have the buying power they used to. It's the not yet retired Baby Boomers that have the money, and it's the baby boomers who are spending the money to take care of their boomerang children these days.   Targeting us with a few shows might be a good idea.  It's one that CBS has practiced for a while now.

Yes, but that wouldn't save this show. How many of us Boomers get excited about a crime show with supernatural or scifi elements? You(?), me, and not too many others.

I've been reading that lots of fans have contacted Netflix.  Some fans have said the customer service reps have been saying they've been getting lots of calls about Forever.  When I called, the rep I spoke to did not mention Forever specifically. However, she did say that now was the time to voice that opinion.  Apparently, Nexflix has about $6 million in its programming budget that they are discussing how to spend at this moment.

Change.org petition to get WB to fight for the show:

https://www.change.org/p/warner-brothers-warner-brothers-fans-love-the-tv-show-forever

Like what happened with Sleepy Hollow, fans, showrunners and the actors should have tried harder to save this show while it was actually on the air, but maybe it's not too late. Then again, Ioan seemed confidant that the show was going to be renewed, so who knows what went on behind the scenes.

I think that giving up on a show like this with a solid following and potential for growth and rewatchability through syndication and streaming is a huge mistake for both ABC AND Warner Brothers. 

According to someone in the know (Aaron Baiers - VP of TV development at Kurtzman/Orci), he was very vocal about getting the fans to show their love of the show and to get it renewed. After it was, he said that apparently a lot of the decision was due to the fan campaign. Whether this is true or not, we won't 100% know, but if there is any truth to that....man, rally the SH fans - they get things DONE!

From Anne Rice Facebook page today

What about "Forever" with Ioan Gruffudd? I just discover this show five minutes ago, and learn three minutes ago that it's been cancelled! Whatever! I'm ordering the 22 existing episodes to watch on Amazon Instant. Any fans out there? Want to chat without spoilers?

Just shows how poorly the show was promoted.

http://www.ibtimes.com/save-forever-campaign-heats-abc-blasted-appeals-after-cancellation-freshman-drama-1915708

Now fans are rallying to save the high-concept drama from total oblivion. Under the hashtag #SaveForever Sunday, viewers beseeched the Alphabet Network with Facebook and Twitter appeals to keep the show on the air. A number of fans are saying the show suffered not because it was of poor quality but because ABC failed to give it the marketing push it deserves.

This was a really good show. It should have been on in a different time slot. Putting it on against Persons of Interest, and Chicago Fire did it no favors.

As to the Demographic... maybe it wasn't a favorite of those under 40. However, given the last several years, TPTB should rethink their target audience. Millenials and Generation X don't have the buying power they used to. It's the not yet retired Baby Boomers that have the money, and it's the baby boomers who are spending the money to take care of their boomerang children these days. Targeting us with a few shows might be a good idea. It's one that CBS has practiced for a while now.

I don't mean to single you out but,

18-49 is what advertisers pay attention to and what they pay for.

ABC doesn't own the show and Thusly doesn't earn any money from syndication or DVD sales. The only way they make money is by selling ads and by the numbers, this show didn't do well.

That same reason is why they renewed Galavant. They own that show, so they can make money from the backend.

Long story short, TV is a business and low rated shows like this one, that I love, don't earn any money. It sucks but it is what it is.

• Love 1
(edited)

"Ioan's Instagram message is getting a lot of publicity, and it's even trending on Facebook right now."

Yeah I have seen it!!!! YAY!

"I don't think the fight is out of this show yet."

I hope not!

Edited by sonyab
  • Love 1
(edited)

https://www.change.org/p/abc-s-forever-to-continue-for-another-season?recruiter=293982737&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-reason_msg

I hope that link works, copying off of facebook is so dicey. I signed the petition, can't hurt. I really loved Forever! Ah to be a tv executive for a day, and put out a public announcement saying "Eff the ratings, i love the show, we're renewing it!"

Edited by marieYOTZ
  • Love 3

Absolution

I am aware that the advertising pays for the air time of their commercials. My point is that they need to gear the commercials -and the shows they air on- towards the people with money to spend. Which isn't 18 to 49 year olds.

• Love 1

It doesn't really matter though. My point is, Advertisers have data that shows that that demographic is what buys the most stuff. And wants new stuff. So that's why those numbers are so darn important.

Because that's what sells the most ads. One can hem and haw about what their anecdotal evidence says about who buys what but that means nothing if the advertisers don't want to sell to that demographic.

Look, I loved Forever but sometimes it doesn't work out. And it didn't this time. And no amount of petitions or signatures will change that fact. History especially favors that.

I'm seeing promotion for this show everywhere! I mean gosh, ABC screwed this up so badly. Really hope we can keep the momentum going and let other interested  networks know that this show had a strong and devoted built in audience.

Sign every petition, tweet early and often peeps! 

18-49 is what advertisers pay attention to and what they pay for.

ABC doesn't own the show and Thusly doesn't earn any money from syndication or DVD sales. The only way they make money is by selling ads and by the numbers, this show didn't do well.

Yes, but the irony is that the young demo are NOT the people who necessarily have the money. In this day and messed up age, the older baby boomers (the ones belonging above the 18-49) have the cash and financial stability because they were lucky to have lived in the right time period. The stupidity is that the advertisers still think that only young people have disposable income. Like Neilson ratings, they haven't caught up with the times. i.e. in real life, everyone DVRs so they can FFWD through commercials so live viewing numbers are BS, no one cares about stupid advertising, and watching TV shows on the internet is the thing to do and binge watching a show is de rigeur. I think advertisers and companies themselves need to do a 'paradigm' shift (shudders at the BS corporate word paradigm) and realize that the monied masses are the ones over 49. The politicians have already figured this out - why haven't the networks?

• Love 2
Yes, but the irony is that the young demo are NOT the people who necessarily have the money.

Not saying you're wrong, but the reality is, Nielsen is still what is used, and 18-49 is what the networks still gauge success by. Is it fair? No. But until the broadcast networks change their strategies to be more competitive with cable and Netflix and Hulu, etc., this is what's left.

And as charming as the show was, the audience, while devoted, is niche, again going by Nielsen. Forget the awful demos in 18-49. The actual total audience size usually barely cracked 4 million people.

And as was pointed out, ABC tried the show in special slots with reairings and no one bit. The show just didn't grow. Sadly, this isn't unusual since shows of a similar theme - a la Forever Knight, Moonlight (basically almost an FK clone on CBS in 2007), and New Amsterdam all were either short lived (FK had three seasons, but season 2 took place only after fan outcry with old-fashioned letters in the mid '90s and aired an entire year after S1; S3 was on USA and had a bunch of changes, and it eventually died) or outright didn't make it. (See the other two examples above.) Highlander seemed to be the only show of this ilk that seemed to have both the passion and the eyeballs to back it up.

The rest were small and devoted, much like Forever here. Alas, small and devoted doesn't bring in the revenue. It's too bad the show was in the era it was. Perhaps if it had been in the era of Cheers and/or Seinfeld, both initially horribly rated but nurtured and grew into TV pop culture phenomenons, perhaps the outcome would have been different.

But with so much competition now, those days are gone.

• Love 3
(edited)

...But with so much competition now, those days are gone.

Not entirely. Haven't there been some recent shows that were dropped by network A and then picked up by network B? I know at least one was picked up by Netflix, but I can't recall any titles.

Still, I can't imagine a Roswell Tabasco sauce campaign working anymore. Between 1998 and 2001, Roswell went from The WB to UPN to SciFi. As a devoted fan at the time, I now have to admit that the show really only worked well the first half of the first season.

I wonder if Forever would have done better if they had not introduced Adam. His story cut into the Abe-Henry and Henry-everyone else screen time. Also, with the premise of the story, any romance with Henry was doomed to end as sadly as one's relationship with a pet cat or dog. Too bad Jo wasn't immortal too.

ETA: I wonder if the writers would have had a different finale if they'd known it was canceled (Ioan's online comments indicate they did not anticipate cancelation)? Like maybe in the train station Adam pulls out the gun to shoot Henry, Jo steps between them, gets shot, and goes poof! Cut to Abe looking at the river for Henry, and...up pops Jo, gasping for air.

IDK. Can a finale that indicates an intriguing new direction sway TPTB towards, say, a limited number of new episodes to see how the ratings go? Do TPTB ever view final episodes when making the decision to cancel or renew?

I would really like to know.

Edited by shapeshifter

Tho' not the same issue. I take heart from the Sleepy Hollow experience. The fight went on despite the fact that getting rid of a show runner and several characters as well as getting a renewal for a show with tanking ratings seemed an overwhelming endeavor.

I think the new outlets - Netflix, Hulu, Amazon - are variables that we don't yet have a real handle on.

We may not be able to change the current situation if we try. But, we certainly won't if we don't try.

I don't know about the show going to Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon.  When the soaps tried it, it didn't have the results people were hoping for.  Also, if this show truly has an older demographic, I wonder how many viewers would spend the money to subscribe to a streaming service for just one program.  

If anything, I'm hoping that ABC will see the negative feedback and consider bringing back the show as a replacement for a cancelled show or have a long hiatus and bring it back in the summer.  Based on the commercials that I've seen for ABC's summer shows, they look less than impressive.  

(edited)

If nothing else this article has one of the best titles - Keeping The Fat Lady Quiet: The Battle To Save Forever

Show runner Matt Miller is aware of and supports these efforts. They are concentrating on talks with Netflix, Hulu and TNT, among others at present. Forever deserves a better fate than for it to get discovered as a “Lost Classic,” in ten or twenty years. The cast and crew of Forever, have just skimmed the surface in this first season, hopefully Warner Bros. TV will keep Forever alive.

http://notjustanothertvsite.com/2015/05/10/keeping-the-fat-lady-quiet-the-battle-to-save-forever/

Edited by pcta
Not saying you're wrong, but the reality is, Nielsen is still what is used, and 18-49 is what the networks still gauge success by. Is it fair? No. But until the broadcast networks change their strategies to be more competitive with cable and Netflix and Hulu, etc., this is what's left.

And that's what so strange about the decisions networks makes. Obviously things like salaries, special effects, does the network own the show, day of airing, is the show cheap to produce, and so many other things factor in.

Just take two of ABCs shows. Galavant and Forever. Almost similar demos and viewership numbers, but one gets renewed and one cancelled.  Similar with Last Man Standing, also an ABC show and renewed. More viewers for LMS, but the demo is close to each other - i.e. LMS is inching near the 1.1 demo now, yet LMS is renewed.

There are some great comparison charts you can generate on SpoilerTV.

Fact is, because I really like the show, so I wish they would have moved it to a different day and tried it out for another 13 episode run. C'est la vie.

I'm also disappointed in the cancellation of Forever and ABC's new fall shows look like a pile of meh. Surely they could have ordered it as a mid-season replacement or summer series. I agree with the previous posters that I could see Forever doing well on TNT. Hopefully ABC will get a clue and reconsider. Didn't CBS do that with Unforgettable? Cancel after one season and then move it to summer? And now it is being picked up by A&E for season 4.

I'm also disappointed in the cancellation of Forever and ABC's new fall shows look like a pile of meh.

Boy I guess the showrunners or actors asked for two much money. ABC's new shows look horrible.  It seems ABC just wanted to be done with the show no matter what.

Show runner Matt Miller sent out a tweet a few days ago that the show was being shopped around but it might be a few weeks before they knew anything specifically. He did say to keep contacting Netflix/TNT/SyFy/etc as it proves to them they'll have people who will watch.