Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Strains, Stains, And A Big Pain

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

A night of fun turns sour when Kelley confronts some fellow yachties who insult Amy and Jennice. Ben and Kate struggle to accommodate a returning charter guest and her outspoken, rambunctious family. While accompanying the guests to a beach bar, Kat is blindsided by a surprise visit from her former Chief Steward Adrienne Gang.

Jennice is annoying the crap out of me. Kelley also needs to buck up. He's hot; he'll be able to get any gal in any port. Stop mooning over Jennice, already!

I suspect that underneath Kate's bitchy resting face is....a bitch.

That's gross about the pillow. Even if there's not a charter are the crew supposed to be in the guest quarters??

What the hell happened to Adrienne? She did a 180.

• Love 4

Jennice is annoying the crap out of me. Kelley also needs to buck up. He's hot; he'll be able to get any gal in any port. Stop mooning over Jennice, already!

I suspect that underneath Kate's bitchy resting face is....a bitch.

That's gross about the pillow. Even if there's not a charter are the crew supposed to be in the guest quarters??

What the hell happened to Adrienne? She did a 180.

What do you mean about Adrienne? She seemed the same to me. But maybe I'm bias as she wasn't my favorite person last season either. I definately preferred her to CJ and Sam but other than that I thought she was a pill. ITA about Jennice though. She's nothing to lose sleep over. Especially for someone as good looking as Kelley. He's not a bad guy, in my opinion. He might be a bit sensitive but I don't fault him for that. I think Jennice's whole "anger management" speech was a bit much.

I laughed out loud several times during tonight's episode. Ben's sexy noises were hysterical. And Eddie making fun of the charter guest who loves booze. Lolol!

That pillow with the stain was SO producer manipulation.

• Love 1

This wasn't a fun episode.  I didn't like anybody at all.  Nope, not even Eddie--Amy begged him not to tell her brother what the rude guys said and he didn't miss a beat getting the news to Kelley.  "Of course I told him."   And the point of that was. . . ?

Captain Lee, come in Lee.  Anyone have eyes on Captain Lee?

• Love 2

What do you mean about Adrienne? She seemed the same to me. But maybe I'm bias as she wasn't my favorite person last season either.

I just mean last season she had a gigantic stick up her ass and an aversion to any kind of fun. At least until the group brought out her inner lesbian I guess. Granted, she was working.

Now she's getting down with her girls, dry humping them on the boat and exposing Kat's sexual exploits with her sailor mouth. She's going to cause quite the drama on Ohana.

• Love 1

I just mean last season she had a gigantic stick up her ass and an aversion to any kind of fun. At least until the group brought out her inner lesbian I guess. Granted, she was working.

Now she's getting down with her girls, dry humping them on the boat and exposing Kat's sexual exploits with her sailor mouth. She's going to cause quite the drama on Ohana.

Got it! Yeah, the dry humping image was a bit shocking. I was kind of surprised that Eddie did indeed swim back to the boat because he saw Adrienne.

Amy (is that her name?) was so irritating this episode...The drunken hollering out on the dock after Kelley ran off. Blugh. Those dudes at the bar were totally gross though. 

Jennice is obnoxious. She's one of those girls who thinks that a guy should still be drooling all over her even after she turns him down. She's like "you're angry and I don't want you," but then acts all miffed when Kelley is like "okay" and walks away?? She just wants attention. She's so boring, her only chance to get it is while she's on this cramped boat I guess...

Adrienne is so unpleasant to look at... Eddie's reaction to seeing her made me laugh. 

• Love 4

Kelley was right about Jennice, both in how she used the "anger management" issue as an excuse to not date Kelley, as well as saying she wanted her cake and eat it, too. She flirted with him and gave him the wrong idea. Fine, it happens. But then she wanted Kelley to be over it in one minute and say something to erase her guilt. She seems really young and immature.

Jennice is obnoxious. She's one of those girls who thinks that a guy should still be drooling all over her even after she turns him down. She's like "you're angry and I don't want you," but then acts all miffed when Kelley is like "okay" and walks away?? She just wants attention.

I was trying to say the same thing, but you put it so much better!

• Love 7

I think these yachts end up being a "love the one you're with" situation.

Ben could do way better than Kat (even though he's a pretentious ass) and Jennice is the worst. She's not even pretty, and IMO, she really lead him on up to that point. Plus, if we're being shown the events in the proper order, the so-called anger incident happened afterward so that's not the reason.

Eddie's still really likeable, and Kate doesn't bother me too much. I was on her side over the dinner issue. Ben decides to serve a four-course meal at his whim, leaving the guests sitting there for hours. It wasn't an issue of service; it was an issue of food not ready to be served.

• Love 6

I wish I had missed every second about the stain on the pillow.  How am I supposed to get that out of my brain???

I was not really clear as to how Ben's dinner taking 17 hours to serve, AGAIN, was supposed to be Kate's fault.  She took it well, unless I missed something crucial and it really was her fault, and that's why all she could do was say okay when both Ben and the super obnoxious guest were berating her about it.  It's one thing to ask for a word and voice that they are not happy about having to wait so long for dinner, but it's quite another to hunt down Kate and bellow at her like he just enjoys the power trip.  And he wasn't even communicating clearly - if we didn't already know dinner was 3 days late I would have been left wondering exactly what the hell he was mad about.  It was like he just wanted to spit all of his general grievances about everything at Kate's face, like she's some kind of complaint receptacle.   And who wanders around looking for someone in charge because there's a stain on a throw pillow?  You set that nasty shit aside and the next time you see a steward in your room you say, "This pillow is ew, please get it out of here, thanks" and move on.

I do believe Jennice about wanting to avoid relationships with people who make her uncomfortable with they way they handle anger.  If you were raised in an abusive situation by someone who gets scary angry (and probably violent) over nothing, then you will flinch and want to flee for the rest of your life when you see someone get angry.  Some people repeat history and go into relationships with abusive partners because it's what they know, what they are used to, and what they think they deserve.  Others grow up making mental checklists of the shit they absolutely will not let into their lives when the day comes that they finally are in control of their own worlds.  I was 5 years old when I became aware that I just had to survive until I was 18 years old and then I would never have to let anyone hurt me again, and anyone who makes me even one iota nervous about the way they handle anger, alcohol, or both, is cut off instantly.  I can't tolerate shouting even if it's not directed toward me, I immediately start heading for safer ground, and I got the feeling that's where she is with the whole anger issue, too - preemptive strikes become very important.  I think she was being genuine, and that it was not easy for her to tell Kelley that was the reason, but I applaud her for sticking with keeping her life free of that garbage even if she is attracted to him.  I'm  not saying Kelley is an abusive maniac, I'm just saying she has to make decisions that she feels will keep her safe, and I'm all for that.  But I do also think there is something a bit unstable about Kelley, not necessarily dangerous or frightening, but just off somehow.  In a "he could really use counseling" kind of way.

Edited by Irritable
  • Love 8
I think she was being genuine, and that it was not easy for her to tell Kelley that was the reason, but I applaud her for sticking with keeping her life free of that garbage even if she is attracted to him.  I'm  not saying Kelley is an abusive maniac, I'm just saying she has to make decisions that she feels will keep her safe, and I'm all for that.  But I do also think there is something a bit unstable about Kelley, not necessarily dangerous or frightening, but just off somehow.  In a "he could really use counseling" kind of way.

I also agree she was being genuine about that. As someone who has those same issues and feels easily panicked whenever someone even raises their voice, I believed her. 

However, she and Kelley are both clearly immature, in different ways for sure, but immature nonetheless. Something is definitely off with Kelley and I've thought that since the first episode. I couldn't guess exactly what but there's definitely something.

I don't remember Eddie hating Adrienne that much, did he? Maybe something happened between this season and last. That part where he got back in the water when he saw her was really amusing though, it made me laugh I have to admit.

The whole dinner thing with Kate and Ben was weird. I think they could've easily resolved it but didn't want to work together and it all kind of spiraled downward. I know Kat was tired but considering service was already on the slow side Kate shouldn't have sent her to take a rest. And Ben should've specified the four courses. 

• Love 1

He didn't. I was talking about myself as an example that she could be genuine in what she was talking about.

Right. And I understand that feeling only too well. But Kelley hasn't displayed any kind of anger issues around Jennice. And they work with each other and even share a bunk. Kelley even said that the only time he got really angry was when he was in the Marines. I feel like the show is trying to portray someone who is volatile or unstable, when in reality, he seems pretty gentle, and only once pulled a sort of big brother/protector "how dare you talk about my sister" macho kind of thing. Notice Eddie saying that Kelley's blood pressure was rising fast, and then they showed Kelley calmly putting on his shirt. Notice the jerky camera work on Amy as she followed Kelley and Eddie back to the bar, only to show him calmly asking the guys what happened. The show was hoping for a confrontation, and trying to create drama. To me, that's what's going on.

• Love 5

It felt to me that there were some things we never saw when it came to Kelley - things Jennice did see, and whether or not he did things that would set off warning bells for other people, they were set off for her.  It could even be just behavior she saw when he was drinking...the way he took off running after those guys even though Amy was begging him to come back showed me that it might not take much for him to get out of hand.  People who totally ignore / go deaf to everyone else when they slip into (drunken) macho protector mode are not fun to be around.  At all.

I agree she handled other parts of their relationship immaturely, and probably because she is so young.  Pushing the whole "let's hug it out" when she knows he's nursing his wounds was certainly irritating.  Him moving out of their room without even telling her he was going to was also immature.  Basically, they are both young and kind of still idiots, but I cannot fault her sticking with her gut instincts.  I've certainly known people who were wonderful in many ways, but when they drank or felt their ego threatened in some way a monster would come out, and to that I say, "Bye!"

• Love 4

Best line of the night was Amy, after finding her brother riled up, claiming the guys told her to fuck off "in passing". 

I don't know what Ben is doing or if it is a service issue but the tapas style 4 and 5 course meals-he and service need to step it up.  I think there was a scallop and a slice of beet?  Nice dish but there needs to an immediate follow up-these people have been out in the sun all day and drinking .  Kate needs to lose the permanent bitchy face-and I really don't think the guests will be appeased with some sort of note after spending two plus hours on 5 tapas plates.  No naps for the stews during meal service-that is just common sense.

Kat and Ben didn't do the deed and the whole stain thing was just disgusting.  I am appalled that Kat and the rest of the crew are being such turds about the return of Adrienne.  Good gravy every one of them wants to find a rich hump to pull them up from below deck.  Kat is mad at the primary because she had stayed in touch with the primary and didn't think she should have brought Adrienne aboard.  This crew this year has put way too much energy into bitching about the guests.  I do think Adrienne is hamming it up a bit much-but she owes this crew nothing.

Captain Lee said they all screwed up this week.  No more Kelly and Janneece. 

• Love 2

I never thought Kelly was attractive at all but if I did, the whining tonight would have changed my mind.

I hate whiny, jealous men. I like a man who is secure in themselves. Jealous men are very insecure and I don't play that shit.

I was with a jealous guy once and I couldn't even say hello to a male in a store without him getting upset and I see that in Kelly.

He's a big baby.

• Love 3

Staingate had to have been producer driven.  How would a stain like that get on the pillow?  Why would it be anywhere near ejection point?  If there is one stain you know there had to have been others.  Did they wash the sheets when they were done?  Where is Gordon Ramsey when you need him and his orange glasses and black light?

I don't remember Ben having so many issues with his dinner services last season.  If fact, he was the only one on the boat that was drama free.  Could this to be something the producer came up with the spice up the season?  And if I were a guest and made to wait hours to start and complete a meal I would be pissed.  And they never have any munchies sitting around so they can at least snack while waiting the hour or two before the next course. 

Kelley and whats her name blah.  He needs to get over it and grow a pair and doesn't he have a girlfriend too?  I am sure watching this must make her feel so secure in that relationship.  It was a dumb move and an awkward attempt at a kiss and just needs to go away.  I don't blame him for moving out of the room though.  That was the one smart thing he did.

And why did that guy tell Amy fuck off?  Were they mad the girls were leaving?  Did they think they were going to have a little romp in the bedroom with them.  Stupid to be so rude on camera but hey anything for that 15 minutes of fame even if it is to show what an asshole you are right?

• Love 5

Best line of the night was Amy, after finding her brother riled up, claiming the guys told her to fuck off "in passing".

Kat and Ben didn't do the deed and the whole stain thing was just disgusting.

1st bolded: I laughed at that, too.  Poor Amy, trying in vain to diffuse the situation.  Actually she and Kelley are kind of annoying with the "I'm just not happy here!"/"I should have been there for you!"  Get them together for more than five minutes and it's time to break out the violins.  Jennice was playing games and like she said, waited far too long to establish boundaries, but Kelley's reaction was on a whole 'nother level of butthurt.  I do understand him moving out, but he could have mentioned it to her.

2nd bolded: I definitely don't believe that Kat and Ben were getting down and dirty in the scene with Amy, Kelley, and Eddie sitting at the table.  That might've been them joking around afterward, but God help them if they actually were doing the deed--that howling?  *dry heaves*  I did laugh along with them when Ben asked Kat if they could make their silly selfies into a Christmas card.  That's something I'd actually do, lol.  I wonder if the two of them are still in relationships after last night's epi?

More dry heave at that clip of Adrienne play-tribbing--no más!  Seriously though, wtf was that?

So were those assholes Kiwi or Scottish?  I think the one ass might've told Amy to fuck off because she was a bit sloshed and in their view, acting like a silly American when she said she wasn't good at identifying accents.

I don't believe Jennice with her complaint about Kelley's "anger issues."  If he'd yelled at HER then I'd understand, but he didn't even yell at all.  He just got off the boat; Jennice didn't know what was going to happen.  How can she say Kelley was angry?  I'm sensitive to anger as well, but I didn't get that from Kelley at all.

I think both Kelley and Jennice are immature, I also think "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" can mean a whole list of things from dating to living with someone.  I think Kelley and Jennice were enjoying the flirting; when Kelley took it a step further, Jennice reacted like a child, not like an adult woman.  She should have told Kelley straight that she's not down for anything serious, plus, she doesn't want to look like a fool on TV.  I think she used Kelley's "anger" as a way to get out of the relationship.  She was also passive aggressive with Kelley too; she wants to talk, he doesn't, but she keeps on and on and on.  If she's afraid of him now because she saw him angry, why is she needling him?  And then she got upset when he moved out?  Jennice needs to grow up, the last thing she needs is a serious relationship.

• Love 5
Notice the jerky camera work on Amy as she followed Kelley and Eddie back to the bar,

I'm all for calling out producer manipulation. (I think that a lot of the guests' comments about Kate looking "bitchy" are producer-instigated--"Hey, how's the service? Does Kate ever seem a little bitchy to you? Have you thought about telling her that?) But in that case, I think that it was more Kelly taking off and the camera man struggling to keep up.

Maybe I have terrible taste, but I find both Kelly and Jennice pretty attractive, and I understand the anger aversion, too. I also suspect that she has indeed seen glimpses of genuine anger in Kelly. But I do think that she enjoyed the idea of having two guys into her, and now she's enjoying the drama at least a little.

I didn't like anybody at all.  Nope, not even Eddie--Amy begged him not to tell her brother what the rude guys said and he didn't miss a beat getting the news to Kelley.  "Of course I told him."   And the point of that was. . . ?

I loved Eddie last season, and I enjoyed the "booze!" bit. But either he got a great edit last season, or things are just completely dysfunctional this season. He's been petty about the interior crew, gossipy about what happened at the bar ...

• Love 1

I can forgive Eddie for telling Kelley about what happened at the bar, because he was clearly drunk.  I, however, cannot forgive him for smoking at the bar because that dropped his attractiveness level for me about 5 notches down.  I actually said out loud "NO!" and scared my dogs.

Ceruleana, I think they were Kiwis.

• Love 3

Right. And I understand that feeling only too well. But Kelley hasn't displayed any kind of anger issues around Jennice. And they work with each other and even share a bunk. Kelley even said that the only time he got really angry was when he was in the Marines. I feel like the show is trying to portray someone who is volatile or unstable, when in reality, he seems pretty gentle, and only once pulled a sort of big brother/protector "how dare you talk about my sister" macho kind of thing. Notice Eddie saying that Kelley's blood pressure was rising fast, and then they showed Kelley calmly putting on his shirt. Notice the jerky camera work on Amy as she followed Kelley and Eddie back to the bar, only to show him calmly asking the guys what happened. The show was hoping for a confrontation, and trying to create drama. To me, that's what's going on.

Jennice annoys me to no end.  I think she wants Kelley and wants him following her around like a puppy dog.  I think she intentionally wanted to see him get jealous with a bunch of guys surrounding her so she could talk about his anger problems.

That said, there *must* be something to his anger issues that we haven't seen yet.  Or it's just that he's way oversensitive.  I think whatever happened in that family wasn't just a divorce.  He seems like an open wound who is trying so hard to be happy.  Amy seems desperate to keep him happy and controlled.  She really talks to him like he's so fragile emotionally.  And the way he reacted to Jennice's explanation shows there's something more to the story than "she wants it both ways."  My guess is he has probably been in trouble before based on his anger management/oversensitivies and confided in her about them.  

But how fucking immature is Jennice?  She could've easily told him at the kiss, "I'm really attracted to you but I can't do this to my boyfriend and you have a girlfriend."  That's all she needed to say.  Instead she poked him with "anger issues."

• Love 7

So were those assholes Kiwi or Scottish?  I think the one ass might've told Amy to fuck off because she was a bit sloshed and in their view, acting like a silly American when she said she wasn't good at identifying accents.

Nah, I think it's because they are total assholes and at that point they knew the drunk girls weren't going to give them any action and they bought drinks and french fries.  They were hoping for easy action and didn't get it.  

• Love 5

Kat really reminds me of a young (pre-surgical) Joan Van Ark:

Joan+Van+Ark+-+then2.jpg

OMG YES!

I love Kat.  While she's not that great looking facially, she's got one helluva personality and great body.  So it doesn't surprise me if Ben is attracted to her.  They seem like they have a blast together and don't take anything that happens between them too seriously.

• Love 1

OMG YES!

I love Kat.  While she's not that great looking facially, she's got one helluva personality and great body.  So it doesn't surprise me if Ben is attracted to her.  They seem like they have a blast together and don't take anything that happens between them too seriously.

I think us Kat fans are in the minority but I absolutely love her! Last season she was a hot mess but still lovable and this season she's totally redeemed herself, and she's still not boring.

I think you could argue she also has Resting Bitch Face. She looks confused sometimes when the guests want ridiculous demands (like Andrew in a baby tee) but she's very accommodating and she has a killer smile.

• Love 1

I like Kat too even though she was a hot mess last season.  I'm glad she got a second chance.

Was anyone else confused on who's fault the dinner mess was?  Yeah, they should have had a second server and how long does it actually take to prepare the cabins for bedtime but it also seemed that Ben was once again really slow in preparing the food.

• Love 1

I suppose I've become a jaded reality-TV viewer, because I didn't buy any of the Ben/Kat sexual shenanigans; it was all for the cameras. I think the pillow stain was faked, as well.

Jennice is extremely attracted to Kelly and relishes his attentions to her. The minute he pulled away, she was like a moth to a flame - talk to me! sit with me! notice me! pay me some attention again! And when that didn't work so well, she dragged out the old victim story in an effort to put up some boundaries but also keep him interested.

What the hell is going on with Ben? I always believed the charming exterior covered a bit of arrogance, but his behavior about delayed food service is bizarre. Gotta be faked for the cameras, although he did seem really annoyed with Kate's aplomb.

Any time there is alcohol in a public place, it seems there are a couple jerks who want to harass the reality "stars" on camera. I think that's what the Kiwis were doing.

Amy was shrieking and staggering so much that I wanted someone to quietly push her into the water. There's almost nothing worse than a loud sloppy drunk.

I'm so distracted by Kate's frozen face and I want to buy her a jar of heavy-duty hair conditioner. That said, she handled herself well with Ben.

I suppose I've become a jaded reality-TV viewer, because I didn't buy any of the Ben/Kat sexual shenanigans; it was all for the cameras. I think the pillow stain was faked, as well.

I don't know if they were hamming it up for the cameras or just the other crew members but the Kat/Ben hookup was obviously fake. And didn't they go into the master state room? The stained pillow was found in the Port guest room. It was quite a stretch to link the two

• Love 1

how long does it actually take to prepare the cabins for bedtime

This confused me as well... The show was trying to make it seem like dinner service was taking hours and hours. Would Amy really have been gone doing turn-down service for that long? 

Also, why was that one guest dude coming down in the kitchen and berating Kate? I couldn't even figure out what he was trying to talk about... These people are bizarre. If I'm unhappy at a restaurant, I don't barge into the kitchen and berate a waitress about what she should be doing instead. I realize this is different than a restaurant, but I don't get why these people don't just politely speak to Captain Lee if they are having continuing problems with the service they are receiving. I wonder these things, but then I just remember: Reality show! That's why. 

• Love 1

No naps for the stews during meal service-that is just common sense.

and

They seem to have trouble with the concept of making a schedule.

It seemed to me that Kate didn't have a problem making a schedule, it was Ben's plans that screwed the schedule. Based on the two quick lines that Kate delivered about mandatory rest and making a schedule I would assume that something happened along the lines of this. Amy was up early for breakfast and took a rest period at around 4PM-6PM. Kat started later in the day and was supposed to have a rest period around 8PM.  Dinner was supposed to be around 7:30, Kat could help server and Amy would prepare the cabins then come up to finish service and clear the table. Because of Ben's delays, the guest weren't clearing their cabins, Kat ran out of time on the clock and all of a sudden Kate is doing dinner by herself.

I don't have a problem with Eddie complaining about the inside crew and their desire for help from the deck staff. The deck staff is a 24 hour job. They have to pull the anchor watches and dock watches when they are in port. Instead of spreading that over 4 people they are doing it over 3. They probably went from getting every other night off watch when Andrew was there to having to pull a watch every night. The inside crew seems like it is more of an 18 hour day, with a person being "on call" and possibly getting awaken in the night if a guest needs something. So even if an inside person has a night watch, they can sleep through it, while a deck watch requires you to be awake and paying attention to wind, wave and on the lookout for the Pirates of the Caribbean. ;-) 

• Love 1

How many servers do you possibly need for a dinner service on a yacht?  An experienced server could do a party or 20 and take other tables as they come in.  They don't have that many people there and they aren't worried about servicing other tables.  So that just seemed like a bunch of horseshit from the get go.

Eddie's still really likeable, and Kate doesn't bother me too much. I was on her side over the dinner issue. Ben decides to serve a four-course meal at his whim, leaving the guests sitting there for hours. It wasn't an issue of service; it was an issue of food not ready to be served.

I disagree.  Kate's handling of the charter guest who complained was hostile and unprofessional.  Why the fuck would the other interior crew members be permitted to do turn-down and sleep during dinner service???  I understand scheduling of breaks and such, but guests always come first.  It shows Kate's inferior management skills.  Ben should admonished, but it wasn't totally his lack of judgement that affected the guests.  Guests eating at 11:30pm???  What kind of bullshit is that?  Kate wasn't giving the guests enough attention.  Their wine glasses were empty and there wasn't a crew member in sight.  Kat sleeping, Amy doing turn down, Kate doing whatever.  She should be fired.

How many servers do you possibly need for a dinner service on a yacht?  An experienced server could do a party or 20 and take other tables as they come in.  They don't have that many people there and they aren't worried about servicing other tables.  So that just seemed like a bunch of horseshit from the get go.

Three or more crew members are needed to serve and clear each course, keep up with wine and bar service and hang out in the kitchen coordinating service.  Also, I think the kitchen is on a different floor, so one person cannot possibly provide the level of service that is expected.

Jennice is too much. I felt bad for Kelley when he walked up to her and Kate at the bar and Jennice immediately began loudly talking about her boyfriend. She got really nasty to Kelley with her eye rolls and all. Wonder what really went down with them? I hate her game playing..."can I have a hug?" Girl, bye.

Kate looks old and hardened. Like she's been around several million blocks. Her talking about Jennice being pure...you could use a little more purity yourself honey.

Bravo really takes disgusting to a new level. I know I watch this trash but I am truly offended that kids flipping through channels could accidentally see some of the vile stuff they put on. A) the pillow stain. I was gagging. Even if it was a producer set-up, just gross. And especially: B) I need eye bleach for that two second scene of Adrienne dry humping that old lesbian on the guest room bed. That was...wow. Literally no words. And then the guy thrusting with his ass in the air. Another amazing visual.

Adrienne is a nasty, low-rent bitch. Last season she was just a bitch but now we see her true colors.

I do wonder what transpired between Amy and Kat??

• Love 1

Three or more crew members are needed to serve and clear each course, keep up with wine and bar service and hang out in the kitchen coordinating service.  Also, I think the kitchen is on a different floor, so one person cannot possibly provide the level of service that is expected.

Ah, I realize it isn't slop they are flinging but based on what we've seen, there is a lot of waiting around by the servers, not that they are so busy the food just sits there.  It seems more like Ben is taking a long time executing his artful plates.

Regarding the mandatory breaks, as Kate stated the timing and duration are mandatory according to maritime law. It's her job to enforce the regulations. It's not debatable, based on my understanding. 

Something similar is true with pilots and drivers. I recall one occasion where a bunch of tour bus drivers walked off in the middle of a tour because they had not been provided mandatory breaks (because the tour managers didn't handle the schedule well). Sometimes they fake the logs they are required to keep in order to remain with the job. There are reported incidents of pilots flying too long without necessary breaks.

It doesn't matter how much cruise guests pay for a charter or the level of service they expect. That said, it's possible that production faked the need for Kat's break. What's puzzling to me is why Ben apparently lost control of the dinner schedule on two different occasions. He's a pro - doesn't seem realistic unless there was a major disruption.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm in the aviation industry so I understand rest & duty time issues, we deal with them everyday. Anytime there is a flight delay, the first thing we tell the gate agent is our absolute latest departure time.

In this case I was a bit confused though. I couldn't figure out if Ben's four course tapas menu delayed dinner so long that Kat ran out of duty time and had to go on rest or if Kate's bad planning resulted in someone being required to rest during dinner service. Then Ben's comment about maritime law not applying to them was thrown in there too. Do the stews have to have STCW's like the deckhands? Are they crewmembers like the deckhands? I know in the aviation industry you can have cabin servers who are not trained as flight attendants and are manifested as passengers instead of crew. In either case the whole thing was really weird with Kate refusing to even engage with Ben on the topic and nothing clearly laid out.

Honestly, though I thought Jennice was immature and clearly wanted to string along Kelley, there's something there about Kelley that just isn't right. Maybe it is anger.

I totally agree.  And I'm actually basing it more on Amy's reactions to him.  She coddles him all the time as if he's some fragile child.  I have to wonder if there's much more to the "the divorce" story. 

• Love 1

I totally agree.  And I'm actually basing it more on Amy's reactions to him.  She coddles him all the time as if he's some fragile child.  I have to wonder if there's much more to the "the divorce" story. 

I assumed that was because Amy was the big sister. However, I can see there being much more to the divorce and I wonder if Amy bolted from home when she was 18 and left Kelley there.

Kate's handling of the charter guest who complained was hostile and unprofessional.  Why the fuck would the other interior crew members be permitted to do turn-down and sleep during dinner service???  I understand scheduling of breaks and such, but guests always come first.  It shows Kate's inferior management skills.  Ben should admonished, but it wasn't totally his lack of judgement that affected the guests.  Guests eating at 11:30pm???  What kind of bullshit is that?  Kate wasn't giving the guests enough attention.  Their wine glasses were empty and there wasn't a crew member in sight.  Kat sleeping, Amy doing turn down, Kate doing whatever.  She should be fired.

Yeah, say what you will about straight/lesbian Adrienne (not sure what the hell the producers are trying to get her to portray), last season she kept those girls in line  and appeared to be very organized, probably why they hated her so much.....they actually had to work!

• Love 3